• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 06:23
CEST 12:23
KST 19:23
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror6[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
Rollback Netcode in Brood War615.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 202621Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)78
StarCraft 2
General
5.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 2026 [Old] StarCraft 3 Reportedly in Development StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)
Tourneys
RSL 2026 Offline Finals LCQ Sign-Ups $3,500 WardiTV Not-Summer Championship ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) ISSL (IntoTheTV x SOOP SC2 League): Premier
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
BW General Discussion TL Sidebar missing streams ChatGPT cheats at StarSkirmish SCAI tournament Rollback Netcode in Brood War [ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Simple Questions, Simple Answers Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do?
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25!
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
[Manga] One Piece Movie Discussion! Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread TeamLiquid Health and Fitness Initiative For 2023 MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 8251 users

TL Health and Fitness Initiative 2013 - Page 179

Forum Index > Sports
Post a Reply
Prev 1 177 178 179 180 Next
MeShiet
Profile Joined June 2010
Canada290 Posts
December 31 2013 23:26 GMT
#3561
I'd normally post this in the weightlifting thread but I wanted to share a big milestone (for me) with the original thread that got me started at all.



Don't have anything in mind as far as lifting goes for 2014 because i'll be entering my last semester of nursing school and my schedule will not be known until the first week of January ends. Just hoping I'll be able to lift at least semi-regularly.
If you die this way, you won't live to tell anyone how you died
Volband
Profile Joined March 2011
Hungary6034 Posts
December 31 2013 23:39 GMT
#3562
Sooo, I've asked my trainer about squatting at the rack, and he said I should not do it because a.) I could easily hurt myself b.) squatting with "free weight" (literal translation, there might be a term for that) is much more benefical for me in this stage.

I tried benching with 35 kg as Najda said, but couldn't do the 5 reps. Lowered to 32.5 but failed the 5th attempt. It's funny, because with 30 I could do 10! A guy who went to benching competitions said they didn't have to put their legs on the ground. I don't mean to say anything with this, I can feel my arms and chest working during the benching so I'm fine with it, I just thought you might find it interesting.

As for the "fire that trainer", finally, I felt the same thing as I did in my first to gym session: I was exhausted as fuck. As long as I'm out of energy, and my body aches - in a good way - the next day, I don't really feel like stepping it up. I'll definetly consult with him the week after next week, because some weights I just can't do, but apat from that, I'm satisfied. Right now, that's the kind of gym I can afford, and while I don't get a trainer who is watching my every move until they are perfect - which would be ideal -, the machines and weights are there, so if anytime I feel I could do more, then I will do more. Aaaaand in the future when my body and overall fitness/strength won't suck monkey ass I can think about stepping it up.
decafchicken
Profile Blog Joined January 2005
United States20169 Posts
Last Edited: 2014-01-01 00:33:43
January 01 2014 00:32 GMT
#3563
@Meshiet looking really fast!! Vicious pull and solid jerk. Great stuff, congrats on the big mile stone.

On January 01 2014 08:39 Volband wrote:
Sooo, I've asked my trainer about squatting at the rack, and he said I should not do it because a.) I could easily hurt myself b.) squatting with "free weight" (literal translation, there might be a term for that) is much more benefical for me in this stage.

I tried benching with 35 kg as Najda said, but couldn't do the 5 reps. Lowered to 32.5 but failed the 5th attempt. It's funny, because with 30 I could do 10! A guy who went to benching competitions said they didn't have to put their legs on the ground. I don't mean to say anything with this, I can feel my arms and chest working during the benching so I'm fine with it, I just thought you might find it interesting.

As for the "fire that trainer", finally, I felt the same thing as I did in my first to gym session: I was exhausted as fuck. As long as I'm out of energy, and my body aches - in a good way - the next day, I don't really feel like stepping it up. I'll definetly consult with him the week after next week, because some weights I just can't do, but apat from that, I'm satisfied. Right now, that's the kind of gym I can afford, and while I don't get a trainer who is watching my every move until they are perfect - which would be ideal -, the machines and weights are there, so if anytime I feel I could do more, then I will do more. Aaaaand in the future when my body and overall fitness/strength won't suck monkey ass I can think about stepping it up.


Squatting at the rack with a barbell is what's referred to as using free weights. I'm not sure if you mis spoke but yes it's correct that free weights are more beneficial because your body moves in a more natural manner and requires you to use your stabilizer muscles and strengthen your joints, etc. As for the danger...you can easily hurt yourself walking downstairs but thats no reason not to do it. You're a god damn man and your body is designed to adapt and protect itself. Start with the empty barbell (generally 20kg) and do 3 sets of 5 perfect squats. I'm fairly confident you can do that. Then add 5kg the next workout till it gets more difficult and then make 2.5kg jumps

For the bench you can do what's called a 'deload' drop the weight down to 20 or 25kg and do 3 sets of five, take a rest day, and then next time jump 2.5kg and so on till you hopefully break past your plateau.
how reasonable is it to eat off wood instead of your tummy?
zatic
Profile Blog Joined September 2007
Zurich15366 Posts
January 01 2014 12:41 GMT
#3564
On January 01 2014 08:39 Volband wrote:
As for the "fire that trainer", finally, I felt the same thing as I did in my first to gym session: I was exhausted as fuck. As long as I'm out of energy, and my body aches - in a good way - the next day, I don't really feel like stepping it up. I'll definetly consult with him the week after next week, because some weights I just can't do, but apat from that, I'm satisfied. Right now, that's the kind of gym I can afford, and while I don't get a trainer who is watching my every move until they are perfect - which would be ideal -, the machines and weights are there, so if anytime I feel I could do more, then I will do more. Aaaaand in the future when my body and overall fitness/strength won't suck monkey ass I can think about stepping it up.

Look if you are happy with your workout and gym, and feeling really exhausted is what you are looking for than you'll probably be fine just going on with whatever they are giving you. One thing gyms are great at is having you switch around all their 500 exercises every few weeks so you will probably feel sore somewhere for a long time.

What people here are trying to teach you are effective (and efficient) exercises to get strong. Basically, how do you get the most bang out of 3 rather short session a week. Whether you are looking for pure strength, looks, or improved athletic ability, the routine for a beginner will be pretty much the same.

As for having a trainer at all: I don't think many around here were ever coached by a weightlifting trainer. Most of us researched everything necessary in this forum or other places online, and we taught us all the lifts ourselves using anything from just reading about it, watching instructional videos on Youtube, and recording our own lifts and posting them here for critique.

It seem that you are mostly unwilling to stand up to that trainer and do your own thing, and that you are happy with what the gym is giving you right now. So I would suggest you continue what they are telling your for say 4-6 weeks. If you are then unhappy with where you are in terms of progress, you can always come back here and ask for help on a different approach.
ModeratorI know Teamliquid is known as a massive building
NeedsmoreCELLTECH
Profile Blog Joined November 2011
Netherlands1242 Posts
January 01 2014 18:36 GMT
#3565
When's the new thread opening? :D
Get huge or die mirin | Diamond on LoL
autoexec
Profile Blog Joined July 2011
United States530 Posts
January 01 2014 18:47 GMT
#3566
I'm eagerly awaiting like a little kid on Christmas Eve for the new thread to post my goals! :D
Najda
Profile Joined June 2010
United States3765 Posts
January 01 2014 18:53 GMT
#3567
It took a couple days last year, so hold off on the F5 spam.
AoN.DimSum
Profile Blog Joined September 2008
United States2983 Posts
January 01 2014 22:37 GMT
#3568
awesome job meshiet
by my idol krokkis : "U better hope Finland wont have WCG next year and that I wont gain shitloads of skill, cause then I will wash ur mouth with soap, little man."
Cambium
Profile Blog Joined June 2004
United States16368 Posts
January 02 2014 00:04 GMT
#3569
Nice lift meshiet, u made that jerk look so easy.

So what should I do for 2014? I'm debating whether to go all hardcore into olys

What I did in 2013:
110 clean
90 c&j
60 'snatch'
When you want something, all the universe conspires in helping you to achieve it.
SoleSteeler
Profile Joined April 2003
Canada5472 Posts
January 02 2014 02:24 GMT
#3570
Back in Korea... I gained 16 pounds in 10 days back in Canada. Mostly water weight, I hope! Back to the gym tomorrow morning...
IgnE
Profile Joined November 2010
United States7684 Posts
January 02 2014 02:47 GMT
#3571
So dehydrated then.
It is terrible to die of thirst at sea. Must you so salt your truth that it will no longer even slake thirst?
sc4k
Profile Blog Joined January 2010
United Kingdom5454 Posts
January 02 2014 14:54 GMT
#3572
3 weeks of anti-diet through christmas, man it was brutal.
mordek
Profile Blog Joined December 2010
United States12705 Posts
Last Edited: 2014-01-02 15:35:44
January 02 2014 15:35 GMT
#3573
I made my OHP goal out of the blue and 7kg shy of my bench goal. Squat/DL aren't worth mentioning but things are better than a year ago. Need to get back on the weighted chin-ups. Hope to get a handstand pushup and full ab wheel this year as well.
It is vanity to love what passes quickly and not to look ahead where eternal joy abides. Tiberius77 | Mordek #1881 "I took a mint!"
Osmoses
Profile Blog Joined October 2008
Sweden5302 Posts
January 02 2014 18:59 GMT
#3574
Back in the gym after a 2 week hiatus over the holidays. Christ my thighs are on fire.
Excuse me hun, but what is your name? Vivian? I woke up next to you naked and, uh, did we, um?
Volband
Profile Joined March 2011
Hungary6034 Posts
Last Edited: 2014-01-02 23:31:10
January 02 2014 23:29 GMT
#3575
What and how much do you usually eat before working out? I'm pretty confused:
- Once I stuffed a whole pizza in me, and 20 minutes after the last slice I've been at the gym. No, I wasn't sick, in fact, from the middle of the session I felt like someone who never seen food in days. Dizzyness, total loss of energy, a bit shaky.
- Once I didn't really eat anything until before going to the gym, so I bought 4 buns (the little ones, not some extra big kind), I eat one of them right before arriving there and the other one while I was there. I had absolutely no problems at all energy-wie.
- Today I had a proper dinner with soup and meal (as usual, I struggled eating it all, but I did), and I rested for an hour before woking out. Still felt weak and hungry when I was actually working out.

What the hell is this?
On January 01 2014 21:41 zatic wrote:
Show nested quote +
On January 01 2014 08:39 Volband wrote:
As for the "fire that trainer", finally, I felt the same thing as I did in my first to gym session: I was exhausted as fuck. As long as I'm out of energy, and my body aches - in a good way - the next day, I don't really feel like stepping it up. I'll definetly consult with him the week after next week, because some weights I just can't do, but apat from that, I'm satisfied. Right now, that's the kind of gym I can afford, and while I don't get a trainer who is watching my every move until they are perfect - which would be ideal -, the machines and weights are there, so if anytime I feel I could do more, then I will do more. Aaaaand in the future when my body and overall fitness/strength won't suck monkey ass I can think about stepping it up.

Look if you are happy with your workout and gym, and feeling really exhausted is what you are looking for than you'll probably be fine just going on with whatever they are giving you. One thing gyms are great at is having you switch around all their 500 exercises every few weeks so you will probably feel sore somewhere for a long time.

What people here are trying to teach you are effective (and efficient) exercises to get strong. Basically, how do you get the most bang out of 3 rather short session a week. Whether you are looking for pure strength, looks, or improved athletic ability, the routine for a beginner will be pretty much the same.

As for having a trainer at all: I don't think many around here were ever coached by a weightlifting trainer. Most of us researched everything necessary in this forum or other places online, and we taught us all the lifts ourselves using anything from just reading about it, watching instructional videos on Youtube, and recording our own lifts and posting them here for critique.

It seem that you are mostly unwilling to stand up to that trainer and do your own thing, and that you are happy with what the gym is giving you right now. So I would suggest you continue what they are telling your for say 4-6 weeks. If you are then unhappy with where you are in terms of progress, you can always come back here and ask for help on a different approach.

I think this sums it up pretty well.
SoleSteeler
Profile Joined April 2003
Canada5472 Posts
January 03 2014 00:18 GMT
#3576
Jet lag made me fall asleep last night at 8 PM. Woke up at 5 AM, decided to hit the gym at 7 AM. First workout in 2 weeks. Went well. Also dropped from 199 lbs to 193 in 24 hours. To IgnE: not sure if it's considered water weight, then? Basically I stuffed myself every day for 10 days. My stomach gets huge and bloated and uncomfortable, and then when I go back to a normal diet 90% of that weight will be gone within 5-6 days on average.
IgnE
Profile Joined November 2010
United States7684 Posts
January 03 2014 01:02 GMT
#3577
If you eat a bunch of extra carbs and you don't normally eat carbs, they will pull extra water into your muscles. I assume you eat carbs though. Could just be that you eat a bunch of shit that sits in your intestines and stuff and then you drop the weight in a week.
It is terrible to die of thirst at sea. Must you so salt your truth that it will no longer even slake thirst?
decafchicken
Profile Blog Joined January 2005
United States20169 Posts
January 03 2014 15:22 GMT
#3578
http://imgur.com/a/H6lxd

Big album, bunch of sequence shots and other pics of my lifting and PRs from last week!

My fave:
[image loading]

That is the look of 9 months of work paying off (i first cleaned 165kg back in march and finally jerked it last week to combine with my snatch for a 6kg PR on my total)
how reasonable is it to eat off wood instead of your tummy?
sc4k
Profile Blog Joined January 2010
United Kingdom5454 Posts
January 03 2014 16:11 GMT
#3579
On January 03 2014 08:29 Volband wrote:
What and how much do you usually eat before working out? I'm pretty confused:
- Once I stuffed a whole pizza in me, and 20 minutes after the last slice I've been at the gym. No, I wasn't sick, in fact, from the middle of the session I felt like someone who never seen food in days. Dizzyness, total loss of energy, a bit shaky.
- Once I didn't really eat anything until before going to the gym, so I bought 4 buns (the little ones, not some extra big kind), I eat one of them right before arriving there and the other one while I was there. I had absolutely no problems at all energy-wie.
- Today I had a proper dinner with soup and meal (as usual, I struggled eating it all, but I did), and I rested for an hour before woking out. Still felt weak and hungry when I was actually working out.


Don't eat starchy carbs 20 minutes before your workout dude. They will give you a massive drain of energy and make you very tired. It happens to all of us.

You could be suffering from some sort of fatigue like post-viral fatigue. You could be not putting enough energy into your body in general. Eat some potatoes or pasta semi-regularly and you should really think about eating 2-3 hours before your gym visit at least, when eating a big dose of slower release carbs. Pizza is not good pre-gym food in any instance. Probably also depends on your workout.

You should do a food diary for a week. Count the cals, g of carbs / fat / protein, as well as how much fruit/veg per day. Show us what you put into your body over a week period, maybe two weeks if you can. That will help us give you better advice.
Eufouria
Profile Blog Joined March 2011
United Kingdom4425 Posts
January 03 2014 16:46 GMT
#3580
On January 04 2014 00:22 decafchicken wrote:
http://imgur.com/a/H6lxd

Big album, bunch of sequence shots and other pics of my lifting and PRs from last week!

My fave:
+ Show Spoiler +
[image loading]


That is the look of 9 months of work paying off (i first cleaned 165kg back in march and finally jerked it last week to combine with my snatch for a 6kg PR on my total)

Nice lift man. What do you think about your wrist position though? You know much more about olympic lifting than me so I'm probably wrong, but doesn't having your wrists so far back put a lot of strain on them?
Prev 1 177 178 179 180 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Sparkling Tuna Cup
19:00
Weekly #150 (SHIN Mod Edition)
CranKy Ducklings102
CranKy Ducklings SOOP35
SHIN 29
LiquipediaDiscussion
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
OGKoka 227
ByuN 141
SHIN 29
MindelVK 10
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 25673
Calm 10108
Rain 3147
soO 820
BeSt 489
Stork 396
FanTaSy 374
Soma 357
Soulkey 336
Rush 282
[ Show more ]
firebathero 259
Bisu 243
Barracks 119
Last 69
Mind 65
Shinee 48
Killer 36
Pusan 35
Sexy 35
Light 28
ToSsGirL 23
Sharp 23
HiyA 20
Terrorterran 19
hero 18
Shine 18
sorry 17
Hm[arnc] 15
yabsab 15
Sacsri 14
zelot 13
Trap 12
Noble 11
scan(afreeca) 6
Dota 2
Gorgc5296
League of Legends
JimRising 398
Reynor9
Counter-Strike
byalli4
Super Smash Bros
Mew2King119
Other Games
gofns33560
singsing1656
Pyrionflax248
Organizations
Other Games
BasetradeTV198
StarCraft: Brood War
lovetv 8
[ Show 12 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• 3DClanTV 72
• Dystopia_ 2
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• WagamamaTV308
League of Legends
• Jankos3059
Upcoming Events
Patches Events
4h 37m
BSL Open Qualifier
8h 37m
BSL Open Qualifier
8h 37m
OSC
12h 37m
OSC
1d 1h
WardiTV Weekly
2 days
PiGosaur Cup
2 days
The PondCast
3 days
Online Event
5 days
Korean StarCraft League
5 days
[ Show More ]
Afreeca Starleague
5 days
Rush vs Soulkey
CranKy Ducklings
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
HCC Season 3
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.