• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 19:28
CEST 01:28
KST 08:28
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double1Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon105
StarCraft 2
General
Stellar Fest 1 Replay Pack Recent patches and the Future StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double Balance hotfix patch 5.0.16b (July 16)
Tourneys
2026 GSTL Grand Finals ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament Master Swan Open (Global Bronze-Master 2) Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20)
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
BW General Discussion Bot on ladder [ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach PLAYzone Challenge - open offline tour in Prague an AI researcher's take on the ladder bot
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 1
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Total Annihilation Zero Nintendo Switch Thread EVE Corporation
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread All you football fans (soccer)!
Fan Clubs
MarineLorD Fan Club The Creator Fan Club The ShoWTimE Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
Violent-Cooperative Play and…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 7250 users

The Injuries Thread - Page 50

Forum Index > Sports
Post a Reply
Prev 1 48 49 50 51 52 58 Next
Brotatolol
Profile Blog Joined November 2010
United States1742 Posts
August 07 2013 15:36 GMT
#981
I had bronchitis the past week, and while the cough is gone now, I'm pretty sure I pulled an intercostal/"rib muscle" from either the coughing or trying to suppress a cough. Does anybody have any experience with this type of injury? How much longer do I have to wait before I can get back in the (home) gym? It hurts to raise up my arm above shoulder level and any pulling movement also causes pain, so I've been very hesitant to go back to my routine (a variation of SS), which focuses heavily on compound movements. Thanks in advance.
decafchicken
Profile Blog Joined January 2005
United States20168 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-08-07 16:32:22
August 07 2013 16:32 GMT
#982
While we're on the topic of self diagnosis...

pretty sure i have/am developing De Quervain syndrome in my right thumb from some combination of rugby/lifting/cell phone use. It's a lot more swollen and tender than the left counterpart. Any suggestions for relief/treatment?
how reasonable is it to eat off wood instead of your tummy?
igay
Profile Blog Joined November 2011
Australia1178 Posts
August 08 2013 00:31 GMT
#983
Guys the other morning I went to run and I got a sharp pain in my lower knee it only hurts when I run I can't even feel that my knee is sore only once I run, looks as if I have 'runners knee'

For the cardio part of my workouts I have just been using the cross trainer and bike until i can get this knee sorted since they are low impact sorta things compared to the treadmill or running in the road.

Does anyone have any suggestions on what I can do to fix it? I've done a bit of looking online I already do stretches before and after working out.
MVP <3 MKP <3 DRG <3
eshlow
Profile Joined June 2008
United States5210 Posts
August 08 2013 07:19 GMT
#984
On August 08 2013 00:36 Brotatolol wrote:
I had bronchitis the past week, and while the cough is gone now, I'm pretty sure I pulled an intercostal/"rib muscle" from either the coughing or trying to suppress a cough. Does anybody have any experience with this type of injury? How much longer do I have to wait before I can get back in the (home) gym? It hurts to raise up my arm above shoulder level and any pulling movement also causes pain, so I've been very hesitant to go back to my routine (a variation of SS), which focuses heavily on compound movements. Thanks in advance.


Hard to say... basically keep doing as much mobility work as you can to keep the area moving but not at the expense of making the pain worse. You can try massage as well.... heat too if there's no swelling as well


On August 08 2013 09:31 igay wrote:
Guys the other morning I went to run and I got a sharp pain in my lower knee it only hurts when I run I can't even feel that my knee is sore only once I run, looks as if I have 'runners knee'

For the cardio part of my workouts I have just been using the cross trainer and bike until i can get this knee sorted since they are low impact sorta things compared to the treadmill or running in the road.

Does anyone have any suggestions on what I can do to fix it? I've done a bit of looking online I already do stretches before and after working out.


http://www.eatmoveimprove.com/2011/05/so-you-hurt-your-knee

On August 08 2013 01:32 decafchicken wrote:
While we're on the topic of self diagnosis...

pretty sure i have/am developing De Quervain syndrome in my right thumb from some combination of rugby/lifting/cell phone use. It's a lot more swollen and tender than the left counterpart. Any suggestions for relief/treatment?


Wrist joint mobs if you have a band or someone who knows how to do them.

Massage as well and general mobility work. Hard to say though... I had a De Quervain's case that was pretty much not De Quervains and just an issue of wrist joint mobilizations fixing it. If it's truely tenosynovitis then it may need mobility work, eliminating aggravating exercises, potentially eccentrics, joint mobs, etc
Overcoming Gravity: A Systematic Approach to Gymnastics and Bodyweight Strength
BenKen
Profile Joined August 2009
United States860 Posts
August 14 2013 03:47 GMT
#985
So, any time I do heavy ( >85% 1RM) deadlifts, I'll feel fine, but then my lower back/glute area on the left side hurts for the next few days.
+ Show Spoiler +
[image loading]


I think it's because I go hook grip mostly, but I go mixed grip when I go really heavy and I probably favor my left side. I'm trying to work on that.

Eventually I can warm up/loosen up enough to where it doesn't hurt anymore and I can get on with things, but it sucks to deal with. What's the treatment for this, massage, foam rolling and lacrosse balls? Also, Is this the SI joint I always hear people talking about?
I deadlift for Aiur
Shauni
Profile Blog Joined July 2004
4077 Posts
August 14 2013 12:59 GMT
#986
My ortophedic said it was most likely compartment syndrome, but that I'd have to do a pressure test. Probably takes a while, so I'll be pretty much useless this season. Has anyone here done a compartment pressure test? The orthopedic said it could be 'slightly uncomfortable' but a friend who got it said it's the most painful painful thing he's ever experienced and that the surgery afterwards is nothing in comparison. Doesn't sound too well, so I'm a bit uneasy.
I'm taking whatever coverage I can get, because frankly, I'm busy working on this million dollar deal at my job. Early retirement is a good thing brotha man. - MessengerASL
mordek
Profile Blog Joined December 2010
United States12705 Posts
August 14 2013 13:07 GMT
#987
On August 14 2013 12:47 BenKen wrote:
So, any time I do heavy ( >85% 1RM) deadlifts, I'll feel fine, but then my lower back/glute area on the left side hurts for the next few days.
+ Show Spoiler +
[image loading]


I think it's because I go hook grip mostly, but I go mixed grip when I go really heavy and I probably favor my left side. I'm trying to work on that.

Eventually I can warm up/loosen up enough to where it doesn't hurt anymore and I can get on with things, but it sucks to deal with. What's the treatment for this, massage, foam rolling and lacrosse balls? Also, Is this the SI joint I always hear people talking about?

D: I would say don't attempt anything max deadlift/clean until you hear back from Eshlow. One of my biggest regrets is not preventing my SI joint issues... I've been off squats/deads for a year now and it still causes pain
It is vanity to love what passes quickly and not to look ahead where eternal joy abides. Tiberius77 | Mordek #1881 "I took a mint!"
decafchicken
Profile Blog Joined January 2005
United States20168 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-08-14 14:17:01
August 14 2013 14:16 GMT
#988
On August 14 2013 12:47 BenKen wrote:
So, any time I do heavy ( >85% 1RM) deadlifts, I'll feel fine, but then my lower back/glute area on the left side hurts for the next few days.
+ Show Spoiler +
[image loading]


I think it's because I go hook grip mostly, but I go mixed grip when I go really heavy and I probably favor my left side. I'm trying to work on that.

Eventually I can warm up/loosen up enough to where it doesn't hurt anymore and I can get on with things, but it sucks to deal with. What's the treatment for this, massage, foam rolling and lacrosse balls? Also, Is this the SI joint I always hear people talking about?


Yup sounds exactly like SI joint. Foam roll/lax ball/massage/stretch/strengthen the area.
how reasonable is it to eat off wood instead of your tummy?
BenKen
Profile Joined August 2009
United States860 Posts
August 14 2013 15:58 GMT
#989
Man... Fuck. Mordek, what do you think would have prevented those issues?
I deadlift for Aiur
mordek
Profile Blog Joined December 2010
United States12705 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-08-14 16:09:47
August 14 2013 16:08 GMT
#990
Addressing the muscle imbalance post-ACL surgery first. I was doing fine in normal endeavors (able to outsprint and outjump 90% of people on ultimate field etc.) but max deadlifts exaggerated those imbalances and i started getting a pain/weakening/soreness in the SI joint location and the rest is history. I would have done more core work despite the flak it gets from SS etc. If you haven't assessed your mobility and functional strength with something like mwod and other resources it's hard to say "just squats will work your abs enough". I think if my glutes were more easily activated and my abs were stronger I would have avoided some of the second hinge motion that can happen doing lowbar squats and deadlift. This is all speculation based on my intuition and input from this forum, chiro, and PT.

Little ranty but I can (fortunately) say this has been one of the hardest things for me. I got a ton of satisfaction weightlifting and a lasting injury is just depressing. I went from never squatting to getting 300lbx2 in 3 months and I want that back. I know phyre had similar issues and he's seen some success recently. My recommendation is to get it checked out by a PT if you can afford it and not to wait a year before finally doing it. At that point the recovery is normally much, much longer.
It is vanity to love what passes quickly and not to look ahead where eternal joy abides. Tiberius77 | Mordek #1881 "I took a mint!"
decafchicken
Profile Blog Joined January 2005
United States20168 Posts
August 14 2013 16:55 GMT
#991
On August 15 2013 00:58 BenKen wrote:
Man... Fuck. Mordek, what do you think would have prevented those issues?


Basically what he said. Make sure you have good mobility, balanced body, a strong as fuck core, good technique, and are constantly addressing any imbalances.
how reasonable is it to eat off wood instead of your tummy?
mordek
Profile Blog Joined December 2010
United States12705 Posts
August 14 2013 17:37 GMT
#992
I was a little gung-ho on the linear progression... :\ decaf sums it up succinctly
It is vanity to love what passes quickly and not to look ahead where eternal joy abides. Tiberius77 | Mordek #1881 "I took a mint!"
Namunelbo
Profile Joined June 2012
501 Posts
August 14 2013 23:23 GMT
#993
Speaking of lower back pain...

I've been having some kind of lower back pain for years I think, and have not addressed them until recently...
After reading the EMI article about lower back pain, I think it can classified as "Bulging, Herniation and Spinal issues", but not sure yet since I need more sample and testing... (and probably professional diagnosis at the end of course)

Let's see, the pain is in the lumbar area, maybe somewhere between L1 to L5. It tends to appear these days when I'm sitting the whole day in a bad position or slouching in the sofa for a long period of time (have bad posture that need to be corrected)... The pain is a little noticeable (not to say barely) when I stand up, but it's way more noticeable and uncomfortable when I lay down on any flat surface (bed, floor). I don't really know how to describe that feeling of discomfort, it emanates from the lumbar area, from the spine, maybe nerve-like discomfort (have experienced back soreness and it's nothing alike).

One thing I've noticed is that when I'm doing static stretches (no pain at the beginning of the session), I get the pain after doing stretches where I need to compress my upper body with my legs, like pikes, pancakes, straddles and alike. But since I finish the session with a bridge hold, the pain immediately dissipates after the bridge...

I wonder if this could be caused from continuous falling on my butt as a kid, carrying too heavy of a backpack in the schools days or hereditary?
phyre112
Profile Joined August 2009
United States3090 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-08-16 04:24:32
August 16 2013 04:17 GMT
#994
On August 15 2013 00:58 BenKen wrote:
Man... Fuck. Mordek, what do you think would have prevented those issues?


I'm not Mordek, but like he mentioned I've been having the same problem for about the same amount of time.

Preventing them? Foam roll and stretch the shit out of your glutes, lower back, and hip flexors. Stretch them at least 3 times a day. The main contributors to my SI problems were tight glute/piriformis muscles on my right side, and tight hip flexors/psoas on my left side. Additionally but less importantly, address muscle imbalances. My left hamstring was stronger than my right, so I was constantly drifting to the side and rotating a bit on my heavy squats and deadlifts. I also had weak obliques in general - I would do more side planks, and a lot of iso-lateral stuff to balance out those weaknesses if I were able to go back to last summer.

Finally I tried to progress too fast. I hit 345 for a triple on deadlift at the start of last august, and told myself I could hit 405 for a single by the end of september. I started doing too many different pulls from the floor (deadlift and 1-2 variations each day), too often (2-3 times/week). Even though I was very careful with form, it was just too much.

So the end message is slow the hell down and do all the little things that you can let yourself forget about.
decafchicken
Profile Blog Joined January 2005
United States20168 Posts
August 16 2013 04:23 GMT
#995
Did some brief studying on hip anatomy (eshlow plz correct me) but it looks like tight hip flexors/tfl -> people don't activate their glutes -> piriformis does all the work -> overworked piriformis pulls sacrum out of place -> back pain. Been doing a ton of work on stretching my way too tight hips/IT bands and i'm feeling 10x better than i did last week. Still a lot of work to go though.
how reasonable is it to eat off wood instead of your tummy?
mordek
Profile Blog Joined December 2010
United States12705 Posts
August 16 2013 15:35 GMT
#996
On August 16 2013 13:17 phyre112 wrote:
Show nested quote +
On August 15 2013 00:58 BenKen wrote:
Man... Fuck. Mordek, what do you think would have prevented those issues?


I'm not Mordek, but like he mentioned I've been having the same problem for about the same amount of time.

Preventing them? Foam roll and stretch the shit out of your glutes, lower back, and hip flexors. Stretch them at least 3 times a day. The main contributors to my SI problems were tight glute/piriformis muscles on my right side, and tight hip flexors/psoas on my left side. Additionally but less importantly, address muscle imbalances. My left hamstring was stronger than my right, so I was constantly drifting to the side and rotating a bit on my heavy squats and deadlifts. I also had weak obliques in general - I would do more side planks, and a lot of iso-lateral stuff to balance out those weaknesses if I were able to go back to last summer.

Finally I tried to progress too fast. I hit 345 for a triple on deadlift at the start of last august, and told myself I could hit 405 for a single by the end of september. I started doing too many different pulls from the floor (deadlift and 1-2 variations each day), too often (2-3 times/week). Even though I was very careful with form, it was just too much.

So the end message is slow the hell down and do all the little things that you can let yourself forget about.

Any pointers on how you assessed that? PT basically had me correcting anterior tilt (control). I think this is a factor but I honestly didn't feel very helped during my visits unfortunately :\
It is vanity to love what passes quickly and not to look ahead where eternal joy abides. Tiberius77 | Mordek #1881 "I took a mint!"
Recognizable
Profile Blog Joined December 2011
Netherlands1552 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-08-17 07:45:20
August 17 2013 07:41 GMT
#997
"Yeah man I can totally run up that 10 meter 60% incline wall"
"Go for it bro"
Injured my left knee. Fucking alcohol.
Does anyone have a good full body stretching routine? I believe my hamstrings and hip flexors are creating imbalances which make me overcompensate with my right side. I won't be squatting for some time tho
MtlGuitarist97
Profile Blog Joined July 2011
United States1539 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-08-17 12:04:49
August 17 2013 11:52 GMT
#998
Anything that I can do about a pinched nerve? I know I can take NSAIDs but is there anyway to treat it?

I don't get it from typing on the computer or being in that position, actually I get it more if I hold my phone or extend my arms a certain way when I'm lying down.
decafchicken
Profile Blog Joined January 2005
United States20168 Posts
August 19 2013 05:14 GMT
#999
On August 17 2013 20:52 MtlGuitarist97 wrote:
Anything that I can do about a pinched nerve? I know I can take NSAIDs but is there anyway to treat it?

I don't get it from typing on the computer or being in that position, actually I get it more if I hold my phone or extend my arms a certain way when I'm lying down.

Stretch, roll, massage, chiro, strengthen the area
how reasonable is it to eat off wood instead of your tummy?
JimmyJRaynor
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
Canada17877 Posts
August 19 2013 09:28 GMT
#1000
Any one have any experience with neck collars being used to help prevent concussions ?
Ray Kassar To David Crane : "you're no more important to Atari than the factory workers assembling the cartridges"
Prev 1 48 49 50 51 52 58 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 10h 32m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft: Brood War
Artosis 609
White-Ra 140
910 45
Dota 2
monkeys_forever541
NeuroSwarm181
Super Smash Bros
AZ_Axe88
PPMD85
Heroes of the Storm
Grubby8639
Liquid`Hasu1272
Trikslyr104
Other Games
summit1g8293
shahzam644
JimRising 415
C9.Mang0264
ArmadaUGS87
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick640
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream305
Other Games
BasetradeTV222
[ Show 11 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Hupsaiya 136
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• Azhi_Dahaki17
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Other Games
• imaqtpie1075
Upcoming Events
Sparkling Tuna Cup
10h 32m
Afreeca Starleague
10h 32m
Leta vs Soulkey
PiGosaur Cup
1d
Kung Fu Cup
1d 11h
The PondCast
2 days
Replay Cast
3 days
CranKy Ducklings
4 days
Online Event
4 days
FEL
4 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
4 days
[ Show More ]
Sparkling Tuna Cup
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
WardiTV Weekly
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-27
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual
Stake Ranked Episode 3

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.