• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 02:28
CEST 08:28
KST 15:28
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)73Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3
StarCraft 2
General
How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4) StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup Back to SC2 after 14 years - Protoss CTRL groups?
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ]
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
20-year-old Valorant player starting StarCraft Sagi.gg Launcher Released Fantasy returning? BSL Season 23 Bot on ladder
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Artificial Intelligence Thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Canadian Politics Mega-thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 9379 users

TL Health and Fitness Initiative 2011 - Page 581

Forum Index > Sports
Post a Reply
Prev 1 579 580 581 582 583 730 Next
Energies
Profile Blog Joined September 2003
Australia3225 Posts
September 14 2011 13:17 GMT
#11601
What I basically do is start with front squat and keep adding weight until I max out and can't finish 5 reps on a weight, at which point I add more weight and start back squatting until I max out and can't finish 5 reps.

No specific program.
--

On another note, but elbows are fucking killing me right now from clean and press, like seriously fuck, sharp pulsating pain, need to jump into the shower and then add some serious tiger balm to it.
"Everybody wanna be a bodybuilder but dont nobody wanna lift no heavy ass weight" - Ronnie Coleman.
Googity
Profile Joined January 2011
United States127 Posts
September 14 2011 13:18 GMT
#11602
I've lost around 35lbs this summer thanks to this thread... still a little bit above my target weight of 165 (down from 205 in May). I think part of that has to do with gaining muscle mass. Now with winter hitting in my area, it's time to actually hit the gym. Most of my workouts have invovled running/biking anywhere between 10-30 miles every other day and just free weights/crunches/chin-ups at home. Staying active and eating healthy have been the keys.
Energies
Profile Blog Joined September 2003
Australia3225 Posts
September 14 2011 13:19 GMT
#11603
10-30 miles, woha, that's awesome mate, keep it up!
"Everybody wanna be a bodybuilder but dont nobody wanna lift no heavy ass weight" - Ronnie Coleman.
phyre112
Profile Joined August 2009
United States3090 Posts
September 14 2011 13:27 GMT
#11604
On September 14 2011 16:29 Risen wrote:
Well I don't want to get strong. I just want to get lean again, so starting today I went with my sister to the gym. I'm actually kind of impressed how well I hung in there. Guess those all-day wrestling practices in the Vegas heat stamped a drive in the back of my head.

Regardless, I'm very out of shape, and I know it. Made 5000 strides today on the elliptical in 39 minutes at resistance 5 all the way through. My goal was 5000 in 40 and I do math in my head during workouts to not focus on fatigue. Noticed that around 25 minutes in I was a good 120 strides back from where I should be so I jumped from 130ish s/m to around 140-150 the rest of the way.

I feel like I could have pushed myself harder but I was dropping buckets of sweat and didn't want to overdo it on my first day back into it. The TL H&F thread has been a huge help getting motivation. Again, I don't want to bulk up so much as I don't want to be fat. I'm 6'2" and just hit 180 so I decided enough was enough. Maybe in the future I'll look into bulking up. Kind of a post without a goal, but I wanted to be self-indulgent and make a post logging where I started. 5000 in 39, new goal is 6000 in 40.

Edit: Spoke to soon. My callllllveeeessss AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH


I'm 6'3, about to break 180 and I can't imagine being considered anything other than skinny at this point. I would highly recommend lifting, and counting your calories - if your goal is to be "lean" I would be willing to bet I look quite close to what you're aiming for... And up until two weeks ago, I hadn't done a minute of cardio in years.
BouBou.865
Profile Joined December 2010
Netherlands814 Posts
September 14 2011 14:03 GMT
#11605
Todays workout:

Squat: 75kg 5-5-5
OHP: 40kg 5-5-5
Powerclean 40kg 3-3-3-3-3

Real happy I hit my goals, didn't drink my milk yesterday and slept with my gf until like three which means not enough sleep, derp. Making up for it today npnp.
Playing League of Legends. IGN: Plain Skill
Zafrumi
Profile Joined June 2009
Switzerland1272 Posts
September 14 2011 14:09 GMT
#11606
grats on sex and progress! best combo
"Strong people are harder to kill than weak people and more useful in general" -Mark Rippetoe
BouBou.865
Profile Joined December 2010
Netherlands814 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-09-14 14:17:40
September 14 2011 14:17 GMT
#11607
Gotta say no when she wants to at twelve though, school>lifting>sex, but it's not easy : /

Oh SS, why do you give me such first world problems.
Playing League of Legends. IGN: Plain Skill
Ludrik
Profile Blog Joined June 2008
Australia523 Posts
September 14 2011 14:47 GMT
#11608
On September 14 2011 23:03 BouBou.865 wrote:
and slept with my gf until like three

On September 14 2011 23:17 BouBou.865 wrote:
she wants to at twelve though

Three hours. Respect.
Only a fool would die laughing. I was a fool.
Zafrumi
Profile Joined June 2009
Switzerland1272 Posts
September 14 2011 14:58 GMT
#11609
See, SS does improve endurance!
"Strong people are harder to kill than weak people and more useful in general" -Mark Rippetoe
Cambium
Profile Blog Joined June 2004
United States16368 Posts
September 14 2011 15:01 GMT
#11610
weightlifting is a bitch, when you do it, you tend to put it over everything else =/

liftweight to improve sex life
<6 months in>
fuck sex, gotta squat
When you want something, all the universe conspires in helping you to achieve it.
sJarl
Profile Joined September 2010
Iceland1699 Posts
September 14 2011 15:02 GMT
#11611
put her on top, everybody wins.
"Witness!" - Karsa Orlong
Cambium
Profile Blog Joined June 2004
United States16368 Posts
September 14 2011 15:10 GMT
#11612
i think tha'ts exactly what we need

SS2.0: sex strength
When you want something, all the universe conspires in helping you to achieve it.
funkie
Profile Blog Joined November 2005
Venezuela9377 Posts
September 14 2011 15:17 GMT
#11613
On September 15 2011 00:10 Cambium wrote:
i think tha'ts exactly what we need

SS2.0: sex strength


no really. it helps out.

Even more when you're doing HIIT, and you're beating the living shit out of you. Everytime time your body "thinks" you're going insano on the excercise, it starts pumping shit so hard

last 3 sexsions have been 30mins++ and I'm not even kidding. last time we ran out of "positions" and had to repeat some. haha.

I need help tho.

I wanted to start Madcow on monday, but I forgot my sheet and well, ended up doing 115kg x 3 x 5 on monday, and 80kg 3x5 BenchPress, it was nice.

I do, however, want to incoportate Front Squats in teh Madcow, but the first rule here is don't fuck with the program, cause it's made that way cause it works. So how do I do this? .

I really like the style of madcow, one thing I don't like is the 1x5 heavyWeight at the end, just 1 serie? come on? . (actually, the "warmup sets" the first 4, are pretty much the same I do/did for warmups in SS Advanced, I just don't quite enjoy the 1x5 I want the numbness in my legs after 3x5 of heavy lifting.) So yes, anybody care to shed a light on little funkie's head?.

Congrats Bou! you the man! is this the same girl from the gym? ?
CJ Entusman #6! · Strength is the basis of athletic ability. -Rippetoe /* http://j.mp/TL-App <- TL iPhone App 2.0! */
Cambium
Profile Blog Joined June 2004
United States16368 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-09-14 15:27:51
September 14 2011 15:27 GMT
#11614
What you can do is decrease your ramp up time (I think it says # weeks to achieve your PR).

If you set to to 2, I think, during your 2nd week, you'll go over your PR on one of the reps. I don't know about you, but I was usually very drained on the Wednesday workouts when I was on SS, so Madcow is actually quite perfect for me.

I agree with you that the # of sets are pretty low, but it lets me focus more on form, I do it with the mentality that, I've got one chance to do it perfectly, let's not fuck it up.
When you want something, all the universe conspires in helping you to achieve it.
decafchicken
Profile Blog Joined January 2005
United States20168 Posts
September 14 2011 16:03 GMT
#11615
On September 15 2011 00:01 Cambium wrote:
weightlifting is a bitch, when you do it, you tend to put it over everything else =/

liftweight to improve sex life
<6 months in>
fuck sex, gotta squat


Yeah friday is gonna be super gay. Apparently everyone on campus is deciding to have a party and i already agreed to hang out with a girl that i used to hook up with, except its gonna go something like "fuck the million parties + bars, we can watch a movie and then i'm kicking you out a midnight, i've got a LIFTING MEET TOMORROW"

Gonna probably lift ~70% on snatch/cj today and probably just take friday off lifting. Got smoked in the quad running hard into a tackle yesterday, hopefully the pains gone by saturday.
how reasonable is it to eat off wood instead of your tummy?
Earll
Profile Blog Joined March 2010
Norway847 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-09-14 16:47:42
September 14 2011 16:46 GMT
#11616
Done with workout today.

50kg Squat (up 5kg)
37.5 kg Benchpress (up 2.5 kg)
40kg Deadlift (up 5 kg.)

I started out adding 5 kg to benchpress too, but on first set second rep I was already like NFGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHSFDpushing it up and reallys truggling, so I figured billy don't be a hero. Possibly reason I did not improve much there is because the first 2 days of SS (e.g the day I did the benchpress and the day after) I ate like half of what I should have, and just started eating properly on the 3rd day, so probly didnt grow as much muscle as I could have\should have.

also I feel like my deadlift form is super shit and I am bending my back too much : ( ? at least on the heavier sets.And my Bench press form was somewhat different part of today. My elbows sort of didnt go out the way they should , its sort of hard to explain.

Last but not least 2nd day (first day I did powercleans) I got some small blisters on the inside of my hand just below\at the root of the fingers, and they returned now sort of when doing deadlift, and fear they will return even worse with a vengeance on next powercleans, is there any non lame way to fix or avoid this?
Wat
decafchicken
Profile Blog Joined January 2005
United States20168 Posts
September 14 2011 16:57 GMT
#11617
On September 15 2011 01:46 Earll wrote:
Done with workout today.

50kg Squat (up 5kg)
37.5 kg Benchpress (up 2.5 kg)
40kg Deadlift (up 5 kg.)

I started out adding 5 kg to benchpress too, but on first set second rep I was already like NFGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHSFDpushing it up and reallys truggling, so I figured billy don't be a hero. Possibly reason I did not improve much there is because the first 2 days of SS (e.g the day I did the benchpress and the day after) I ate like half of what I should have, and just started eating properly on the 3rd day, so probly didnt grow as much muscle as I could have\should have.

also I feel like my deadlift form is super shit and I am bending my back too much : ( ? at least on the heavier sets.And my Bench press form was somewhat different part of today. My elbows sort of didnt go out the way they should , its sort of hard to explain.

Last but not least 2nd day (first day I did powercleans) I got some small blisters on the inside of my hand just below\at the root of the fingers, and they returned now sort of when doing deadlift, and fear they will return even worse with a vengeance on next powercleans, is there any non lame way to fix or avoid this?

yeah stick to 2.5 increase on press and bench. for deadlifts keep your back flat and drive with your hips. take a video of your form if you can. check put Dave tates youtube videos "so you think you can bench" to fix your form. as for your hands, you probably don't need chalk for the weights you're pulling but I use it all the time to help with grip. don't get gloves. also you should be holding the bar in your fingers not in your palm if that makes sense. you can also look into hook grip.
how reasonable is it to eat off wood instead of your tummy?
BlackJack
Profile Blog Joined June 2003
United States10574 Posts
September 14 2011 16:58 GMT
#11618
About cutting out cardio...

Is this a good idea if my primary goals are less concerned about building muscle and looking manly and more concerned about things like lowering my resting heart rate and having good stamina? I've been slothing and eating a lot of junk for a bit and although I am aiming to lose about 20 pounds I am less concerned about physical appearance than actually being "heart healthy."

Any advice is appreciated
Earll
Profile Blog Joined March 2010
Norway847 Posts
September 14 2011 17:07 GMT
#11619
On September 15 2011 01:57 decafchicken wrote:
Show nested quote +
On September 15 2011 01:46 Earll wrote:
Done with workout today.

50kg Squat (up 5kg)
37.5 kg Benchpress (up 2.5 kg)
40kg Deadlift (up 5 kg.)

I started out adding 5 kg to benchpress too, but on first set second rep I was already like NFGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHSFDpushing it up and reallys truggling, so I figured billy don't be a hero. Possibly reason I did not improve much there is because the first 2 days of SS (e.g the day I did the benchpress and the day after) I ate like half of what I should have, and just started eating properly on the 3rd day, so probly didnt grow as much muscle as I could have\should have.

also I feel like my deadlift form is super shit and I am bending my back too much : ( ? at least on the heavier sets.And my Bench press form was somewhat different part of today. My elbows sort of didnt go out the way they should , its sort of hard to explain.

Last but not least 2nd day (first day I did powercleans) I got some small blisters on the inside of my hand just below\at the root of the fingers, and they returned now sort of when doing deadlift, and fear they will return even worse with a vengeance on next powercleans, is there any non lame way to fix or avoid this?

you probably don't need chalk for the weights you're pulling but I use it all the time to help with grip. don't get gloves. also you should be holding the bar in your fingers not in your palm if that makes sense. you can also look into hook grip.


Thanks, Chalk is not allowed at my gym for whatever reason, ill look into the hook gripthough-
Wat
Sneakyz
Profile Joined October 2010
Sweden2361 Posts
September 14 2011 17:12 GMT
#11620
@eshlow (Or anyone else with knowledge about injuries ofcourse )

My dad has been having some pain in his arm now for quite a while and I figured I might ask you. Although It's probably pretty hard to describe someone elses injury I'll do my best.

[image loading]

It's his right arm and he's right handed if that matters. At first the pain was mainly in what seems to be the Brachialis, but has now gotten worse and continued down what I think is the Brachioradialis, all the way down to the wrist.

He was working out for about a month with the pain but then it got too bad so he quit. The exercises that seemed to hurt the most, meaning pain was so bad he couldn't really do them at all, were generally the ones with arms out the sides. For example dumbbell shoulder press, side raises, bench press or flyes.

I would think this is an old injury since he's 60, and starting to lift just made it noticeable. Right now he also gets the pain whenever he move his hand, in addition to arms out the sides. And since you pretty much move your hand all the time I guess you could say this is pretty much chronic, since he stopped working out like 1.5-2 months ago.

He went to a more general doctor who basically said he should go to a physical therapist because WHY NOT. My dad didn't fancy that so he pretty much told them to fuck off since they won't even try to identify the problem, just want to get rid of him I'd guess.

I know you probably can't help much with so limited information, so if you could tell me more specifically what you would need to know so I can ask him that would be great.
Thanks
I have found the Iron to be my greatest friend. It never freaks out on me, never runs. Friends may come and go. But two hundred pounds is always two hundred pounds.
Prev 1 579 580 581 582 583 730 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 3h 32m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft: Brood War
GuemChi 1021
910 108
Hyun 68
NotJumperer 45
Bale 34
sorry 25
Noble 11
ajuk12(nOOB) 7
Britney 0
Dota 2
febbydoto219
League of Legends
JimRising 610
Super Smash Bros
Mew2King137
Other Games
summit1g6843
Coldzera 719
WinterStarcraft388
C9.Mang0234
ceh9232
NeuroSwarm108
ViBE32
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick609
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream38
[ Show 14 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• practicex 31
• Letter146
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• lizZardDota2246
League of Legends
• Rush1181
• Lourlo1032
• Stunt364
Upcoming Events
Afreeca Starleague
3h 32m
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
4h 32m
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
17h 32m
Patches Events
1d 9h
The PondCast
2 days
INu's Battles
2 days
Percival vs TBD
TBD vs herO
OSC
2 days
Replay Cast
2 days
OSC
3 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
4 days
[ Show More ]
Sparkling Tuna Cup
5 days
Patches Events
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
HCC Season 3
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.