• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 01:15
CEST 07:15
KST 14:15
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)75Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4) SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup Back to SC2 after 14 years - Protoss CTRL groups?
Tourneys
ISSL (IntoTheTV x SOOP SC2 League): Premier Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond)
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
20-year-old Valorant player starting StarCraft Sagi.gg Launcher Released Bot on ladder BGH Auto Balance -> http://bghmmr.eu/ Fantasy returning?
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers
Other Games
General Games
General RTS Discussion Thread Nintendo Switch Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Dating: How's your luck? Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 6034 users

TL Health and Fitness Initiative 2011 - Page 579

Forum Index > Sports
Post a Reply
Prev 1 577 578 579 580 581 730 Next
Crawler
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
Estonia248 Posts
September 13 2011 18:23 GMT
#11561
I don't really have any muscle mass, pretty much pure fat so losing 16 kgs is easier than someone with huge muscle mass
Catch
Profile Joined September 2010
United States616 Posts
September 13 2011 18:51 GMT
#11562
Squat
230 lbs x 5-5-5

Leg Press
260 x 10-8-8

Lying Leg Curls
130 x 15-15-12

Preacher Curl
45 x 5-5-5

Hammer Curls w/ Rope Pulley
80 x 10-10-10
----
Good session, but boy was I tried as shit after the squats. Really heavy day for me. My form is finally starting to break a little on the squats; I lean a little forward and the weight on my feet shifts forward a little. Not good, but not bad either. Obviously getting strongaaaaa. Lying leg curls are such a bitch too. Keeping it light on the preacher curls because of my wrist, but hammer curls (with the rope anyway) don't bother my wrist really.

Speaking of my wrists, I've decided that I want to include a fifth day into this routine. Simple really, I just want to add a day for working on my grip, prehab/rehab, and mobility work. Simple stuff that goes a long way in my opinion. I'll probably be back later today/tomorrow with my plans so I can get some advice and help with it all.

Also some glute fun from T-nation y'all might enjoy :D
http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_article/sports_body_training_performance/dispelling_the_glute_myth
Victory Loves Preparation
shinosai
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
United States1577 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-09-13 19:02:07
September 13 2011 18:56 GMT
#11563
I'm in agreement with eating in caloric excess every day. Let's say you workout monday. Ohh, tuesday rolls around... are you ready to work out again? No? I guess you're muscles still need those calories to recover.

In the past 4 months I've gained 20 lbs. Probably quite a bit of this is fat. I've managed to hit 21.6% body fat (sadface). But looking at pictures, I still look better now than I did before. Losing weight is really easy for me. If left to my own devices I'd probably eat 2k calories or less each day. I feel like any time spent cutting is a waste of time before I run out of my newb gains from SS. Once I can no longer progress linearly, that's when I'm going to do a cut.

This idea of calorically restricting yourself in order to gain muscle "slow" doesn't seem smart to me unless you're already an intermediate. Because of how fast you gain muscle on a beginner program, you can gain muscle *a lot* faster than you'll lose it during the cut. Build fast while you can, cause it doesn't last forever. That's how I view it, anyways.

And what are you gaining if you build muscle "slow" if you already have high body fat anyways? You still have to cut it down in the end. The only difference is you'll take a lot longer to get to the point where you begin cutting.
Be versatile, know when to retreat, and carry a big gun.
emperorchampion
Profile Blog Joined December 2008
Canada9496 Posts
September 13 2011 20:20 GMT
#11564
On September 14 2011 03:23 Crawler wrote:
I don't really have any muscle mass, pretty much pure fat so losing 16 kgs is easier than someone with huge muscle mass


Fat ---> Muscle

Keep the same body weight, just with more muscle and less fat!
TRUEESPORTS || your days as a respected member of team liquid are over
glurio
Profile Joined April 2010
Germany597 Posts
September 13 2011 20:38 GMT
#11565
What shinosai said +1.

I hate working out late, now i have to eat so much food shortly before going to bed.

Anyone wanna throw me a fitocracy invite? Would be awesome.
Whether you think you can, or think you can't, you're right. - Henry Ford
Zafrumi
Profile Joined June 2009
Switzerland1272 Posts
September 13 2011 21:49 GMT
#11566
pm me your email
"Strong people are harder to kill than weak people and more useful in general" -Mark Rippetoe
Malinor
Profile Joined November 2008
Germany4758 Posts
September 13 2011 22:19 GMT
#11567
On September 11 2011 00:42 Malinor wrote:
Show nested quote +
On September 11 2011 00:27 RosaParksStoleMySeat wrote:
On September 11 2011 00:20 Malinor wrote:
Your squat looks completely fine to me, and you surely have enough depth.

I hate Front Squats, my back always goes too far forward and I have to hold the weight in place with my hands, and I don't really know why this happens all the time. Will take a form-check video soon I guess.


That's generally attributed to a weak upper back, limited shoulder/wrist flexibility, or trying to do too much weight. It can also be caused by weak quads which forces you to compensate by leaning forward excessively.

I can front squat 90% of my backsquat weight for some reason, even though I've never really extensively trained front squat. It just comes naturally to me, mainly because it suits my anatomy a lot better than back squat. Long femurs generally makes for better front squatters .


I have never really maxed my Front Squats and trained them far less then Back Squats, so of course they lack behind. But I believe my best set of 5 on FS was 120 or sth, and BS 192,5, so there is quite massive problem.

Shoulder flexibility is certainly a problem, I can see that in the mirror while squatting. Quads are highly unlikely, upper back I actually don't know, but the lockout is also my weakest part of the deadlift, so there might be something to it.

Anyway, it is all a work in progress, and at the moment I have my hannds full with fixing my actual BS problems.


This may be a typical case of being blinded by false assumptions. The above discussion got my thinking a little bit, but not too much, I never really gave my Front Squat much thought.

So today I was back squatting, ramping up sets of 5. After my third set of 5 with 140kg, my quads were already hurting, which left me confused. Then it basically hit me: I always thought that my legs have to be very strong, since my Back Squat was so high, and therefore the problems with my Front Squat could not come from weak quads. But maybe it is just the other way around, my Back Squat is good although my quads are weak. This would make much more sense, since my Deadlift has been increasing steadily. I then paid attention to my body after my top-set of 170kgx5, and the only part of my body that was hurting were my quads, my whole posterior chain still felt completely fresh. Also, my form with Front Squats doing light weights is perfectly fine, which would indicate that it is not a flexibility issue.

Long story short, I am gonna alternate FS and BS each workout, trying to preserve strength at
the BS and gonna work up my FS, SS-style, starting low with linear progression.

This thread really is extremely helpful, just a little chatting about some things can give you new ideas for your training. It gets so much more complicated when you not classify as a novice anymore
"Withstand. Suffer. Live as you must now live. There will, one day, be answer to this." ||| "A life, Jimmy, you know what that is? It's the shit that happens while you're waiting for moments that never come."
Steeped
Profile Joined October 2010
Canada87 Posts
September 13 2011 22:32 GMT
#11568
Todays workout:

Wide grip pull ups- 6-6-6
Bench press- 145lbs 3x5 (this is a PR even before my shoulder injury i couldn't lift this much, yay me)
Bent over rows- 145lbs 3x5
incline benchpress- 125lbs 3x5
lat pulldowns- 150lbs 3x5
some other lat pull down excersize dunno what its called haha
cable pulls for my rear deltoid
OHP- 90lbs 1x2, 65lbs 3x5
Db shoulder press- 40lbs 3x5
lateral raises- 20lbs 3x5
preacher curl- 60lbs 3x5
skull crushers- 60lbs 3x5

my god i did a lot but it felt great, especially making a new bench press PR.
Froadac
Profile Blog Joined July 2009
United States6733 Posts
September 13 2011 22:35 GMT
#11569
Oh no. Did not eat lunch. Must compensate with many sandwiches.
Dromar
Profile Blog Joined June 2007
United States2145 Posts
September 13 2011 22:39 GMT
#11570
Is fitocracy a site like fitday? Is it worth it to switch over?
Mithrandir
Profile Joined March 2011
United States99 Posts
September 13 2011 22:52 GMT
#11571
On September 14 2011 03:56 shinosai wrote:
And what are you gaining if you build muscle "slow" if you already have high body fat anyways? You still have to cut it down in the end. The only difference is you'll take a lot longer to get to the point where you begin cutting.


If you have high bodyfat your priority should be to lose bodyfat. Especially for teenagers who can do long term damage by bulking themselves to obesity.

And if you're a beginner or overweight, you can make strength/muscle progress while dieting anyway.
Lemonwalrus
Profile Blog Joined August 2006
United States5465 Posts
September 14 2011 00:57 GMT
#11572
Ok...so today is supposed to be a workout day...but I have a bit of a dilemma.

I worked 2pm-1am last night, had a huge fight + Show Spoiler +
and make-up
with my gf until 5am so no sleep, and then drove back to work and worked 5:45am-2pm today. During the course of today's shift I had a coffee and about a gallon of mountain dew to stay up. When I got home I slept until about 6:30pm, and it is 8pm now. I have nothing to do tomorrow until late, and my schedule is such that transitioning to a m-w-f workout week is fine.

Should I work out today or work out tomorrow when I wake up?
sJarl
Profile Joined September 2010
Iceland1699 Posts
September 14 2011 00:59 GMT
#11573
Just go to bed early tonight and reset your sleep schedule.

Also happy birthday man
"Witness!" - Karsa Orlong
phyre112
Profile Joined August 2009
United States3090 Posts
September 14 2011 01:11 GMT
#11574
On September 14 2011 07:39 Dromar wrote:
Is fitocracy a site like fitday? Is it worth it to switch over?


It's more like an exercise journal. You log your activity for the day (anything from "walking" to the olympic lifts, depending on what you consider activity) and receive points. When you get enough points, you level up. You can also get badges for certain milestones, and join or create specific groups to compare yourself against your friends (or against TL, for example)

I guess it's a pretty cool idea... but it's just too much work for me.
decafchicken
Profile Blog Joined January 2005
United States20168 Posts
September 14 2011 01:16 GMT
#11575
On September 14 2011 03:51 Catch wrote:
Squat
230 lbs x 5-5-5

Leg Press
260 x 10-8-8

Lying Leg Curls
130 x 15-15-12

Preacher Curl
45 x 5-5-5

Hammer Curls w/ Rope Pulley
80 x 10-10-10
----
Good session, but boy was I tried as shit after the squats. Really heavy day for me. My form is finally starting to break a little on the squats; I lean a little forward and the weight on my feet shifts forward a little. Not good, but not bad either. Obviously getting strongaaaaa. Lying leg curls are such a bitch too. Keeping it light on the preacher curls because of my wrist, but hammer curls (with the rope anyway) don't bother my wrist really.

Speaking of my wrists, I've decided that I want to include a fifth day into this routine. Simple really, I just want to add a day for working on my grip, prehab/rehab, and mobility work. Simple stuff that goes a long way in my opinion. I'll probably be back later today/tomorrow with my plans so I can get some advice and help with it all.

Also some glute fun from T-nation y'all might enjoy :D
http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_article/sports_body_training_performance/dispelling_the_glute_myth


Wanted to see if he had any comments on olympic weightlifters, only mentioned body builders and power lifters seeing as every clean/snatch hyperextends the hips.
how reasonable is it to eat off wood instead of your tummy?
eshlow
Profile Joined June 2008
United States5210 Posts
September 14 2011 01:22 GMT
#11576
On September 14 2011 09:57 Lemonwalrus wrote:
Ok...so today is supposed to be a workout day...but I have a bit of a dilemma.

I worked 2pm-1am last night, had a huge fight + Show Spoiler +
and make-up
with my gf until 5am so no sleep, and then drove back to work and worked 5:45am-2pm today. During the course of today's shift I had a coffee and about a gallon of mountain dew to stay up. When I got home I slept until about 6:30pm, and it is 8pm now. I have nothing to do tomorrow until late, and my schedule is such that transitioning to a m-w-f workout week is fine.

Should I work out today or work out tomorrow when I wake up?


If you feel like you can get a good quality workout feel free,

If not, don't bother
Overcoming Gravity: A Systematic Approach to Gymnastics and Bodyweight Strength
Froadac
Profile Blog Joined July 2009
United States6733 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-09-14 02:27:00
September 14 2011 02:06 GMT
#11577
I need to eat.

Posting about eating is not eating.

So I'll eat.
ShadowDrgn
Profile Blog Joined July 2007
United States2497 Posts
September 14 2011 02:19 GMT
#11578
No offense Froadac, but we don't need 4 updates a day about your diet.
Of course, you only live one life, and you make all your mistakes, and learn what not to do, and that’s the end of you.
Froadac
Profile Blog Joined July 2009
United States6733 Posts
September 14 2011 02:26 GMT
#11579
On September 14 2011 11:19 ShadowDrgn wrote:
No offense Froadac, but we don't need 4 updates a day about your diet.

Yeah. Lol.

Need to food log myself.
Catch
Profile Joined September 2010
United States616 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-09-14 02:40:54
September 14 2011 02:35 GMT
#11580
On September 14 2011 10:16 decafchicken wrote:
Show nested quote +
On September 14 2011 03:51 Catch wrote:
Squat
230 lbs x 5-5-5

Leg Press
260 x 10-8-8

Lying Leg Curls
130 x 15-15-12

Preacher Curl
45 x 5-5-5

Hammer Curls w/ Rope Pulley
80 x 10-10-10
----
Good session, but boy was I tried as shit after the squats. Really heavy day for me. My form is finally starting to break a little on the squats; I lean a little forward and the weight on my feet shifts forward a little. Not good, but not bad either. Obviously getting strongaaaaa. Lying leg curls are such a bitch too. Keeping it light on the preacher curls because of my wrist, but hammer curls (with the rope anyway) don't bother my wrist really.

Speaking of my wrists, I've decided that I want to include a fifth day into this routine. Simple really, I just want to add a day for working on my grip, prehab/rehab, and mobility work. Simple stuff that goes a long way in my opinion. I'll probably be back later today/tomorrow with my plans so I can get some advice and help with it all.

Also some glute fun from T-nation y'all might enjoy :D
http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_article/sports_body_training_performance/dispelling_the_glute_myth


Wanted to see if he had any comments on olympic weightlifters, only mentioned body builders and power lifters seeing as every clean/snatch hyperextends the hips.


I'm not too sure personally but...

the lower gluteus maximus is involved in three distinct actions; hip extension, hip hyperextension, and hip transverse abduction.

The upper gluteus maximus is involved in five different distinct actions; hip extension, hip hyperextension, hip abduction, hip transverse abduction, and hip external rotation.


He states that hyper extension/extension is only two of eight different, yet the strongest joint action is extension/hyperextension. That still leaves the other actions, though. Olympic sprinters reportedly had the best glute activation of the group, yet doesn't mention Olympic lift(ers), which is a bit odd since he includes bodybuilders/powerlifters.

Deadlifts and squats involve hip extension do they not? So would those not be included in that list? If powerlifters have "underdeveloped" (by this guys standards) glutes in these exercises, I'd reckon that so do olympic lifters.

Regardless, this is a bit beyond my scope. I don't know nearly enough about either subject and would just say to use your own judgement :D Or ask a more knowledgeable person.

Note: He also has stated the glutes are the "best lower-back sparring muscle" since they take up the slack.

Edit: + Show Spoiler +
Try this, leads to the forum on Tnation where he responds personally to the messages. It hasn't been posted in for like three years, but hey PM him if that doesn't work :D lol


@Lemon: Happy birthdaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay :D

And Froadac, update us with your diet as much as you want, as long as you ain't making excuses!
Victory Loves Preparation
Prev 1 577 578 579 580 581 730 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 5h 45m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
Nina 98
StarCraft: Brood War
Rain 2449
GuemChi 709
Leta 156
Snow 110
Terrorterran 72
Bale 30
Noble 14
ajuk12(nOOB) 9
Icarus 9
Dota 2
febbydoto17
League of Legends
JimRising 631
Super Smash Bros
Mew2King62
Other Games
summit1g6720
WinterStarcraft354
C9.Mang0276
Sick142
ViBE88
Trikslyr32
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick568
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream30
[ Show 16 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Hupsaiya 111
• Letter147
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• Azhi_Dahaki15
• Pr0nogo 4
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• lizZardDota2147
League of Legends
• Lourlo1306
• Stunt413
Other Games
• Shiphtur394
Upcoming Events
Kung Fu Cup
5h 45m
Patches Events
10h 45m
The PondCast
1d 4h
INu's Battles
1d 5h
Percival vs SHIN
Zoun vs herO
OSC
1d 17h
Replay Cast
1d 17h
OSC
2 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
3 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
4 days
Patches Events
4 days
[ Show More ]
BSL Open Qualifier
4 days
BSL Open Qualifier
4 days
WardiTV Weekly
6 days
PiGosaur Cup
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
HCC Season 3
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.