• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 13:22
CEST 19:22
KST 02:22
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)77Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3
StarCraft 2
General
How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? [Old] StarCraft 3 Reportedly in Development StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4) SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) ISSL (IntoTheTV x SOOP SC2 League): Premier Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond)
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
BW General Discussion Sagi.gg Launcher Released SC4ALL II Brood War Complete Invited Player Lineup 20-year-old Valorant player starting StarCraft Bot on ladder
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Simple Questions, Simple Answers Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do?
Other Games
General Games
General RTS Discussion Thread Nintendo Switch Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Dating: How's your luck?
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
[Manga] One Piece Movie Discussion! Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 8346 users

TL Health and Fitness Initiative 2011 - Page 572

Forum Index > Sports
Post a Reply
Prev 1 570 571 572 573 574 730 Next
eshlow
Profile Joined June 2008
United States5210 Posts
September 12 2011 00:40 GMT
#11421
On September 12 2011 08:49 sJarl wrote:
You don't clean it per se. You pull it up into your lap, try to make it stick to your chest and stand up with it while trying to roll it up into the rack position.

Hopefully you can breathe and don't black out. Will see if I can get the vids my buddy took.


Continental clean, baby
Overcoming Gravity: A Systematic Approach to Gymnastics and Bodyweight Strength
absalom86
Profile Joined April 2010
Iceland1770 Posts
September 12 2011 02:55 GMT
#11422
So I was going to start lifting weights I decided, started looking at gym memberships and found out that they cost insanely much ( for my budget ) per month. Is there any chance I can get into any kind of shape with home workouts if I buy a pair of weights ( scooby workshop style ) and only do home exercises or am I doomed to buying overpriced gym memberships ?

If I wanted to work out at home, would it be enough for me to buy 2x 10kg hand weights to start off with and start with that or would I need something extra ?
Thief @ #teamliquid @ Quakenet
shinosai
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
United States1577 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-09-12 03:02:06
September 12 2011 03:01 GMT
#11423
On September 12 2011 11:55 absalom86 wrote:
So I was going to start lifting weights I decided, started looking at gym memberships and found out that they cost insanely much ( for my budget ) per month. Is there any chance I can get into any kind of shape with home workouts if I buy a pair of weights ( scooby workshop style ) and only do home exercises or am I doomed to buying overpriced gym memberships ?

If I wanted to work out at home, would it be enough for me to buy 2x 10kg hand weights to start off with and start with that or would I need something extra ?


If you feel like they cost insanely much, try haggling with them. It's kind of like buying a car. Gyms have these insane prices but honestly, they gain a lot even if the customer pays less than what they are asking... however, if the customer doesn't join at all they get nothing.

Just throw out another gym name and be like "well such and such told me they'd let me join their gym for x dollars a month, yours seems overpriced"
Be versatile, know when to retreat, and carry a big gun.
Velocirapture
Profile Blog Joined December 2010
United States983 Posts
September 12 2011 03:07 GMT
#11424
On September 12 2011 12:01 shinosai wrote:
Show nested quote +
On September 12 2011 11:55 absalom86 wrote:
So I was going to start lifting weights I decided, started looking at gym memberships and found out that they cost insanely much ( for my budget ) per month. Is there any chance I can get into any kind of shape with home workouts if I buy a pair of weights ( scooby workshop style ) and only do home exercises or am I doomed to buying overpriced gym memberships ?

If I wanted to work out at home, would it be enough for me to buy 2x 10kg hand weights to start off with and start with that or would I need something extra ?


If you feel like they cost insanely much, try haggling with them. It's kind of like buying a car. Gyms have these insane prices but honestly, they gain a lot even if the customer pays less than what they are asking... however, if the customer doesn't join at all they get nothing.

Just throw out another gym name and be like "well such and such told me they'd let me join their gym for x dollars a month, yours seems overpriced"


This makes me wonder how much you all are paying for your membership. I go to 24hr fitness (sport for those who care) and my membership was 200 dollars for a year (it was a new years resolution deal thing). It took me a while to commit to it but im glad I invested when I did.
decafchicken
Profile Blog Joined January 2005
United States20168 Posts
September 12 2011 03:11 GMT
#11425
On September 12 2011 11:55 absalom86 wrote:
So I was going to start lifting weights I decided, started looking at gym memberships and found out that they cost insanely much ( for my budget ) per month. Is there any chance I can get into any kind of shape with home workouts if I buy a pair of weights ( scooby workshop style ) and only do home exercises or am I doomed to buying overpriced gym memberships ?

If I wanted to work out at home, would it be enough for me to buy 2x 10kg hand weights to start off with and start with that or would I need something extra ?


Go workout with Sjarl in iceland :D

I <3 my gym membership...i pay 40/year for USAW member ship and lift whereever i can find an oly club lol.
how reasonable is it to eat off wood instead of your tummy?
HerbalTylenol
Profile Joined September 2010
62 Posts
September 12 2011 03:32 GMT
#11426
So this may be a long shot...

I'm looking for a good gym also, and I live in the GTA in Ontario, Canada. If there are any Canadians reading this, can you recommend any good gyms in the GTA?

I've tried searching a lot, but man...the opinions are really, really varied. For every praise I find for a gym, there's a good chance it also has a criticism.

I can't find a solid gym that has consistent good praise.

Anyways, I would like to do Starting Strength and I've noticed that some gyms actually don't provide all the equipment to do the exercises listed in the program. So my factors for a gym would be 1) being able to do all the SS workouts 2) Good price 3) Not really busy. Don't care about lockers or showers.

I'll be heading out on Tuesday to a list of gyms I've written down and asking them all these questions...but if anyone from Toronto/GTA can recommend a gym to check out, I'll add it to my list.

The gym I'm leaning towards right now is Snap Fitness...seems good from what I'm reading but apparently it varies from location to location since they're franchises.
absalom86
Profile Joined April 2010
Iceland1770 Posts
September 12 2011 03:39 GMT
#11427
For those wondering about my post above, an avarage gym membership I could get would be 512 dollars per year. If I got one month at a time it would be 102 dollars per month or 1230 dollars per year.
Thief @ #teamliquid @ Quakenet
FiWiFaKi
Profile Blog Joined February 2009
Canada9859 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-09-12 03:45:23
September 12 2011 03:45 GMT
#11428
Mine is 250 dollars a year for...

Gym
Badminton courts, basket ball courts, volleyball
Squash
Swimming pool
Skating ring
Gymnastics room
Rock climbing
In life, the journey is more satisfying than the destination. || .::Entrepreneurship::. Living a few years of your life like most people won't, so that you can spend the rest of your life like most people can't || Mechanical Engineering & Economics Major
decafchicken
Profile Blog Joined January 2005
United States20168 Posts
September 12 2011 03:57 GMT
#11429
On September 12 2011 12:39 absalom86 wrote:
For those wondering about my post above, an avarage gym membership I could get would be 512 dollars per year. If I got one month at a time it would be 102 dollars per month or 1230 dollars per year.


512/year isnt cheap but not outrageous. Maybe sjarl has some advice?
how reasonable is it to eat off wood instead of your tummy?
GumThief
Profile Joined April 2010
Canada284 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-09-12 04:17:34
September 12 2011 04:10 GMT
#11430
On September 12 2011 12:32 HerbalTylenol wrote:
So this may be a long shot...

I'm looking for a good gym also, and I live in the GTA in Ontario, Canada. If there are any Canadians reading this, can you recommend any good gyms in the GTA?

I've tried searching a lot, but man...the opinions are really, really varied. For every praise I find for a gym, there's a good chance it also has a criticism.

I can't find a solid gym that has consistent good praise.

Anyways, I would like to do Starting Strength and I've noticed that some gyms actually don't provide all the equipment to do the exercises listed in the program. So my factors for a gym would be 1) being able to do all the SS workouts 2) Good price 3) Not really busy. Don't care about lockers or showers.

I'll be heading out on Tuesday to a list of gyms I've written down and asking them all these questions...but if anyone from Toronto/GTA can recommend a gym to check out, I'll add it to my list.

The gym I'm leaning towards right now is Snap Fitness...seems good from what I'm reading but apparently it varies from location to location since they're franchises.



I live in Etobicoke and I go to goodlife lol west metro location usually.

not great but not horrible. I don't mind it because generally I am the only person in my gym who uses the squat racks so i'm never bothered really :p
:))
emjaytron
Profile Joined June 2011
Australia544 Posts
September 12 2011 04:29 GMT
#11431
If you can't buy a whole lot of weight you can try learning single leg exercises (single leg squat, plyometric lunges etc). Good for balance too. Oh and maybe single dumbell snatches?
Grubby - SaSe - Oz - Hero
unsoundlogic
Profile Blog Joined September 2006
United States391 Posts
September 12 2011 04:41 GMT
#11432
Hey I just obtained some flax seed from a friend, and I'm wondering if it's good. I searched this thread and something came up about flax oil having to much omega 6? The packaging suggests that it has a bunch of omega 3 and lignans, dunno what it means... Can I get some clarification? Thanks!
UrASofty
Profile Blog Joined January 2004
Canada772 Posts
September 12 2011 04:45 GMT
#11433
On September 12 2011 12:32 HerbalTylenol wrote:
So this may be a long shot...

I'm looking for a good gym also, and I live in the GTA in Ontario, Canada. If there are any Canadians reading this, can you recommend any good gyms in the GTA?

I've tried searching a lot, but man...the opinions are really, really varied. For every praise I find for a gym, there's a good chance it also has a criticism.

I can't find a solid gym that has consistent good praise.

Anyways, I would like to do Starting Strength and I've noticed that some gyms actually don't provide all the equipment to do the exercises listed in the program. So my factors for a gym would be 1) being able to do all the SS workouts 2) Good price 3) Not really busy. Don't care about lockers or showers.

I'll be heading out on Tuesday to a list of gyms I've written down and asking them all these questions...but if anyone from Toronto/GTA can recommend a gym to check out, I'll add it to my list.

The gym I'm leaning towards right now is Snap Fitness...seems good from what I'm reading but apparently it varies from location to location since they're franchises.


ymca. i pay $20 a month on a family plan. basketball court + squat/power rack, bench etc = gooood
i be that pretty motherfucker
[GiTM]-Ace
Profile Joined September 2002
United States4935 Posts
September 12 2011 04:48 GMT
#11434
On September 12 2011 12:57 decafchicken wrote:
Show nested quote +
On September 12 2011 12:39 absalom86 wrote:
For those wondering about my post above, an avarage gym membership I could get would be 512 dollars per year. If I got one month at a time it would be 102 dollars per month or 1230 dollars per year.


512/year isnt cheap but not outrageous. Maybe sjarl has some advice?


im 1020/year I could probably get a lot cheaper. But it would be a lot more crowded, shitty locker rooms/showers or just far away.
I may not be the best player right now but I think I can beat any 'best' players. I'll beat all the best players and become the best player. Watch me. - Jju
Velocirapture
Profile Blog Joined December 2010
United States983 Posts
September 12 2011 04:59 GMT
#11435
On September 12 2011 13:45 UrASofty wrote:
Show nested quote +
On September 12 2011 12:32 HerbalTylenol wrote:
So this may be a long shot...

I'm looking for a good gym also, and I live in the GTA in Ontario, Canada. If there are any Canadians reading this, can you recommend any good gyms in the GTA?

I've tried searching a lot, but man...the opinions are really, really varied. For every praise I find for a gym, there's a good chance it also has a criticism.

I can't find a solid gym that has consistent good praise.

Anyways, I would like to do Starting Strength and I've noticed that some gyms actually don't provide all the equipment to do the exercises listed in the program. So my factors for a gym would be 1) being able to do all the SS workouts 2) Good price 3) Not really busy. Don't care about lockers or showers.

I'll be heading out on Tuesday to a list of gyms I've written down and asking them all these questions...but if anyone from Toronto/GTA can recommend a gym to check out, I'll add it to my list.

The gym I'm leaning towards right now is Snap Fitness...seems good from what I'm reading but apparently it varies from location to location since they're franchises.


ymca. i pay $20 a month on a family plan. basketball court + squat/power rack, bench etc = gooood


I used to go to the YMCA (its actually where I met my first boyfriend lol) but got really frustrated with how crazy busy it was and how unhelpful the staff was. I would say you just have to use your yelp-like services and try places out since performance seems to vary so wildly.
RosaParksStoleMySeat
Profile Joined December 2009
Japan926 Posts
September 12 2011 05:08 GMT
#11436
Gyms want you to pay a lot of money down. The vast majority of people who go to the gym will go twice, take a week off, come one more time, and then stop going forever. If gyms expect to make any money, they simply can't have a system where you pay in cash or by check every month because people will just stop paying ... they have to get you to pay for several months in advance or get you on an automated bank withdrawal plan.

It's really the only way these gyms will stay in business.
thedeadhaji *
Profile Blog Joined January 2006
39489 Posts
September 12 2011 06:13 GMT
#11437
Or you completely rethink the business model
Froadac
Profile Blog Joined July 2009
United States6733 Posts
September 12 2011 06:46 GMT
#11438
On September 12 2011 15:13 thedeadhaji wrote:
Or you completely rethink the business model

Yeah. My local gym is funny. Either you pay a bunch up front, and nothing per month. Or a bunch per month and nothing up front.

They have new deals every once in a while. So I'll go in next time it's possible and get a membership. It's bare bones as is humanly possible, but looking at it and talking to the staff almost everyone there just uses treadmills etc. They say the weights (which look pretty good, even have bumper plates) are rarely used.
Advocado
Profile Blog Joined September 2010
Denmark994 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-09-12 07:05:20
September 12 2011 07:04 GMT
#11439
Man. I just wanted some additional instructing on the bench press and said I was doing mainly the big lifts. Guy starts to talk about how my squats will make my legs strong etc. but my upper body should have more chest exercises so I don't get bad blood circulation which carries nutrition in the upper body along with proteins, carbs etc. That makes absolutely no sense lol wtf. God I regret asking the owner for advice already :/
http://www.twitch.tv/advocadosc2
Lemonwalrus
Profile Blog Joined August 2006
United States5465 Posts
September 12 2011 07:43 GMT
#11440
5k post in the tl h&f thread because I'm just crazy like that.

So anyways, I need to start looking at gyms since I am about to be lifting more weight than I own...and I don't have a rack for squats and the way I'm doing it right now is probably risking injury. Unfortunately this next week is extremely fucking busy...and the next 5 to 6 are only slightly less busy...but at the end of them I have finally get my fucking degree so w/e.

But on to the good news...PR squat about 3 hours ago!

My press is , 2-5-3 reps today. (my left headphone fell out on the first set and threw me off ) so I'm going to repeat today's weight on Thursday. And my goal this week is to make sure my technique is good on all my lifts. I'm going to try to upload a vid but I don't have a camera so idk if I'll be able to.

Also my numbers are bad and I'm too much of a pussy to post them.

I'm not sure if I get a new icon for 5k, but if so, bye Guardian, you have been my friend through a lot, and I will never forget you.
Prev 1 570 571 572 573 574 730 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Patches Events
01:00
Patch Clash Monthly #2
RotterdaM660
TKL 256
Liquipedia
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
RotterdaM 660
ByuN 306
TKL 256
mouzHeroMarine 115
UpATreeSC 77
BRAT_OK 34
MindelVK 8
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 25569
Calm 3301
Shuttle 1141
Horang2 527
Soulkey 196
Rush 132
Dewaltoss 121
Zeus 64
Free 37
Hyun 34
[ Show more ]
sorry 30
Trap 25
Killer 19
ToSsGirL 19
PianO 17
Bale 16
JYJ 16
Rock 15
Aegong 15
scan(afreeca) 13
Hm[arnc] 11
Sacsri 7
Noble 5
Dota 2
Gorgc7086
Dendi1248
League of Legends
KnowMe50
Counter-Strike
fl0m4803
x6flipin836
Fnx 608
pashabiceps422
Super Smash Bros
Mew2King89
Other Games
singsing1924
Liquid`RaSZi1476
Beastyqt591
ceh9501
Khaldor308
C9.Mang0244
dupreeh199
crisheroes183
420jenkins179
IndyStarCraft 143
QueenE96
Trikslyr89
JuggernautJason10
Grubby0
Organizations
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream30
[ Show 18 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Berry_CruncH284
• Hinosc 15
• Reevou 7
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• Michael_bg 5
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• C_a_k_e 3324
• WagamamaTV508
League of Legends
• Nemesis2900
• TFBlade585
Other Games
• Shiphtur839
• imaqtpie325
Upcoming Events
The PondCast
16h 38m
INu's Battles
17h 38m
Percival vs SHIN
Zoun vs herO
OSC
19h 38m
OSC
1d 4h
Replay Cast
1d 5h
OSC
2 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
3 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
3 days
Patches Events
3 days
BSL Open Qualifier
4 days
[ Show More ]
BSL Open Qualifier
4 days
WardiTV Weekly
5 days
PiGosaur Cup
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
HCC Season 3
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.