• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 19:48
CEST 01:48
KST 08:48
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double1Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon105
StarCraft 2
General
Stellar Fest 1 Replay Pack Recent patches and the Future StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double Balance hotfix patch 5.0.16b (July 16)
Tourneys
2026 GSTL Grand Finals ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament Master Swan Open (Global Bronze-Master 2) Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20)
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
BW General Discussion Bot on ladder [ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach PLAYzone Challenge - open offline tour in Prague an AI researcher's take on the ladder bot
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 1
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Total Annihilation Zero Nintendo Switch Thread EVE Corporation
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread All you football fans (soccer)!
Fan Clubs
MarineLorD Fan Club The Creator Fan Club The ShoWTimE Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
Violent-Cooperative Play and…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 7314 users

TL Health and Fitness Initiative 2011 - Page 534

Forum Index > Sports
Post a Reply
Prev 1 532 533 534 535 536 730 Next
Tulius
Profile Joined June 2011
Brazil52 Posts
August 30 2011 00:41 GMT
#10661
On August 30 2011 08:44 AoN.DimSum wrote:
Show nested quote +
On August 30 2011 08:05 kakaman wrote:
So what do people think about Tyler's streaming marathon? Can it be done? I feel sick just thinking about it.


What's a streaming marathon?

btw I cant seem to eat noodles/pasta anymore. I get so gassy now. :/


this

http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=258172

oh and about gluten-heavy stuff, I guess most people have the same issues after 4+weeks into paleo D: - same happened to me
infinity21 *
Profile Blog Joined October 2006
Canada6683 Posts
August 30 2011 00:49 GMT
#10662
dammit why is it so hard to eat 3k calories D:
Official Entusman #21
AoN.DimSum
Profile Blog Joined September 2008
United States2983 Posts
August 30 2011 00:51 GMT
#10663
On August 30 2011 09:41 Tulius wrote:
Show nested quote +
On August 30 2011 08:44 AoN.DimSum wrote:
On August 30 2011 08:05 kakaman wrote:
So what do people think about Tyler's streaming marathon? Can it be done? I feel sick just thinking about it.


What's a streaming marathon?

btw I cant seem to eat noodles/pasta anymore. I get so gassy now. :/


this

http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=258172

oh and about gluten-heavy stuff, I guess most people have the same issues after 4+weeks into paleo D: - same happened to me


ok ty, that is a wierd challenge.

Damn I guess this is more of a reason never to eat that stuff again LOL. I was in the bathroom all morning because of it.
by my idol krokkis : "U better hope Finland wont have WCG next year and that I wont gain shitloads of skill, cause then I will wash ur mouth with soap, little man."
Froadac
Profile Blog Joined July 2009
United States6733 Posts
August 30 2011 01:01 GMT
#10664
On August 30 2011 09:49 infinity21 wrote:
dammit why is it so hard to eat 3k calories D:

Lol. Same problem as you. What are you trying to eat.
infinity21 *
Profile Blog Joined October 2006
Canada6683 Posts
August 30 2011 01:10 GMT
#10665
On August 30 2011 10:01 Froadac wrote:
Show nested quote +
On August 30 2011 09:49 infinity21 wrote:
dammit why is it so hard to eat 3k calories D:

Lol. Same problem as you. What are you trying to eat.

I cheated and ate some instant noodles today lol (yay free 1k calories)
Lots of milk, whey, cottage cheese, eggs, etc. on top of the regular meals that my mom makes.
Official Entusman #21
Froadac
Profile Blog Joined July 2009
United States6733 Posts
August 30 2011 01:16 GMT
#10666
Yeah... It sucks trying to gain weight when in a household with two people trying to lose it.
funkie
Profile Blog Joined November 2005
Venezuela9377 Posts
August 30 2011 01:28 GMT
#10667
Dadadaaaaaaa

114kg Squat 3x5
84kg Bench Press 3x5
55kg Press

Get huge guys! Also, the confidence is up, and girls seem to like it. Ask these 3 girls at the gym :D

Yay!
CJ Entusman #6! · Strength is the basis of athletic ability. -Rippetoe /* http://j.mp/TL-App <- TL iPhone App 2.0! */
infinity21 *
Profile Blog Joined October 2006
Canada6683 Posts
August 30 2011 01:30 GMT
#10668
I think milk/whey is prob your best bet to sneak in calories throughout the day.
Official Entusman #21
Cambium
Profile Blog Joined June 2004
United States16368 Posts
August 30 2011 01:33 GMT
#10669
bench:
225 lb: 4-4-2

DL:
345 lb: 4-1
When you want something, all the universe conspires in helping you to achieve it.
Froadac
Profile Blog Joined July 2009
United States6733 Posts
August 30 2011 01:54 GMT
#10670
What whey if any should I get?

Oh, and no whole milk for me, says the parents.
Cambium
Profile Blog Joined June 2004
United States16368 Posts
August 30 2011 01:55 GMT
#10671
^I use Optimum Nutrition and it tastes decent.

I thought you were secretly buying whole milk on your own?
When you want something, all the universe conspires in helping you to achieve it.
Froadac
Profile Blog Joined July 2009
United States6733 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-08-30 02:06:55
August 30 2011 02:00 GMT
#10672
On August 30 2011 10:55 Cambium wrote:
^I use Optimum Nutrition and it tastes decent.

I thought you were secretly buying whole milk on your own?

During ze summer. During school it's much harder. And I was only able to do half gallon at most. Can't really drink a whole gallon at same time.

Plus was gone a lot, and ended up not exercising as much as I should have. Got restarted though.
RemedySC
Profile Joined August 2010
Canada176 Posts
August 30 2011 05:25 GMT
#10673
Haven't posted in a few weeks so i'll update.

Today's workout -

Squat: 200lbs 3x5
Bench:125lbs 3x5
Deadlift: 205lbs 1x5
Chin-ups: 6-6-4 BW
Leg raises: 3x15

Also i'm going to update my goals to be more specific.

+ Show Spoiler +
Name: RemedySC
Age: 21 || Height: 5'8" || Weight: 145 lbs
Starting Date: Aug, 29, 2011 || Goal Date: Dec 31, 2011
Weight goals -- 160 lbs with close to 10% BF

Training goals --

Lifts - Current / Goals

Squat(3x5) - 200lbs / 245lbs
Deadlift(1x5) - 205lbs / 275lbs
Bench(3x5) - 125lbs / 185lbs
Press(3x5) - 80lbs / 115lbs
Powerclean(5x3) - 110lbs / 155lbs

Nutrition goals -- Eat more consistently and cut out all junk food. Also eat a lot more meat and vegetables.

Misc goals -- Keep on improving myself in every way possible, spend tons of time with family, and get an awesome career!
exShikari
Profile Joined December 2010
Australia237 Posts
August 30 2011 06:55 GMT
#10674
On August 30 2011 06:25 eshlow wrote:
Show nested quote +
On August 30 2011 05:22 exShikari wrote:
On August 30 2011 03:57 eshlow wrote:
On August 30 2011 02:42 Mithrandir wrote:
On August 29 2011 21:43 eshlow wrote:
On August 29 2011 12:30 exShikari wrote:
On August 28 2011 20:48 Malinor wrote:
On August 28 2011 18:05 exShikari wrote:
I am genuinely at a loss as to why this thread is called the Health & Fitness initiative. I would rename it the bulking up thread. There's more to fitness than the size of your muscles -.-


If you read the OP, you will find a lot about nutrition, gymnastics and miscellaneous stuff (sleeping etc.) in there also. This thread has mainly developed into a Weightlifting thread, which is a little bit unfortunate and the reason why we are trying to get a sub-forum, where we can split stuff up into running, lifting, gymnastics, whatever your heart desires basically.

edit: I was surprised there is nothing about injuries/injury-prevention in our OP, or maybe I am just blind...

Besides that, I feel that a lot of the stuff you have posted on the last page seems questionable or even flat out wrong to me (and I don't say that because I believe that lifting heavy weights is the only way to achieve health and fitness). ==> Cardio helping with Pull-Ups? Only in the sense that if you lose 5kg by doing cardio those Pull-Ups will get easier.

Cardio helps with everything man, everything. I did read the OP which was fine, but yeah this is definitely a weight-lifting thread not a fitness thread which is why I questioned it. Sub-forums would be a good idea.


How does cardio help with pullups?

Studies would be useful, preferably.

I can show how weight lifting helps with running. Can you do the opposite?


Cardio helps with pullups by speeding recovery, if done right. 20 easy min 3x/week sorta deal.

Do I get a prize?

Now can you show me any world class runners who use weight training?
And please, endurance only. I think that's what the guy was referring to.


No, you don't get a prize because you haven't proven anything. Prove to me how the physiological adaptations obtained from cardio help to improve pullups.

I asked for studies of which I can provide for athletes in phases of endurance training the benefit of strength work:

Rowers:
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21510717
Cyclists:
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21362056
cross country skiing:
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21081854
Runners:
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20840561
etc.

Also, Hicham El Guerrouj's training program for example:
http://run-down.com/guests/mv_el_guerrouj.php

You see, I can find studies that prove that strength work supports cardiovascular adaptations. However, you will have lots of trouble reliably proving the opposite.

Ok. I'm not going to provide studies because I really can't be bothered right now (just finished work and it's nearly 6am ) but I'll dig some up if you really want.

If you knew anything at all about human biology you would know that the longer your body can utilise aerobic respiration to synthesise ATP the better. And guess what doing cardio does? Increases the aerobic threshold. Mind = blown.
On August 30 2011 03:36 AirbladeOrange wrote:
On August 30 2011 02:42 Mithrandir wrote:
On August 29 2011 21:43 eshlow wrote:
On August 29 2011 12:30 exShikari wrote:
On August 28 2011 20:48 Malinor wrote:
On August 28 2011 18:05 exShikari wrote:
I am genuinely at a loss as to why this thread is called the Health & Fitness initiative. I would rename it the bulking up thread. There's more to fitness than the size of your muscles -.-


If you read the OP, you will find a lot about nutrition, gymnastics and miscellaneous stuff (sleeping etc.) in there also. This thread has mainly developed into a Weightlifting thread, which is a little bit unfortunate and the reason why we are trying to get a sub-forum, where we can split stuff up into running, lifting, gymnastics, whatever your heart desires basically.

edit: I was surprised there is nothing about injuries/injury-prevention in our OP, or maybe I am just blind...

Besides that, I feel that a lot of the stuff you have posted on the last page seems questionable or even flat out wrong to me (and I don't say that because I believe that lifting heavy weights is the only way to achieve health and fitness). ==> Cardio helping with Pull-Ups? Only in the sense that if you lose 5kg by doing cardio those Pull-Ups will get easier.

Cardio helps with everything man, everything. I did read the OP which was fine, but yeah this is definitely a weight-lifting thread not a fitness thread which is why I questioned it. Sub-forums would be a good idea.


How does cardio help with pullups?

Studies would be useful, preferably.

I can show how weight lifting helps with running. Can you do the opposite?


Cardio helps with pullups by speeding recovery, if done right. 20 easy min 3x/week sorta deal.

Do I get a prize?

Now can you show me any world class runners who use weight training?
And please, endurance only. I think that's what the guy was referring to.


Top American marathoner Ryan Hall lifts weights. I believe all true elite distance runners do strength training of some kind. If it is not in the form of lifting weights it is in the form of doing plyometrics or drills of various kinds.

They do weights yeah but not to get big, more for muscle endurance.


I have a BS in biochemistry. I know what you are thinking, but it's incorrect thinking.

I think you should consider the fact that cardiovascular endurance is not the limiting factor in endurance exercise. Vo2max, for example, which signifies both cardiovascular ability, is not the defining factor in ability in elite endurance runners.

When you are talking about an exercise such as pullups where there is more of a strength-endurance type of effort needed, the defining factors that influence performance will be (1) maximal strength which makes repetitions easier and (2) ability of the muscles to tolerate anaerobic threshold specific to that muscle.

Cardio, which works the legs, also benefits the heart. However, it is not confer any significant benefits to the lats, biceps, forearms, and rest of the shoulder girdle which is critical in building the strength-endurance of those muscles for pullups.

So basically what you are saying is wrong. Just flat out wrong.

There's no need to do cardio to increase pullup numbers. He needs to (1) train weighted pullups and (2) train lots of pullups in high rep sets.

Specificity in training is key to get good at things.

Well played sir. But I disagree that I'm completely wrong. Cardio is still going to help him, it's not like it's going to have a negative effect
It is, in the end, whatever the Hell I want it to be, And when I'm through with it, it's gonna blow a hole, This wide, straight through the worlds own idea of itself. They're throwing bottles at your house. Come on, lets go break their arms.
BouBou.865
Profile Joined December 2010
Netherlands814 Posts
August 30 2011 08:59 GMT
#10675
But exShikari, if his time is limited to 5 hours a week, do you still feel that cardio should be priotised over lifting?
Playing League of Legends. IGN: Plain Skill
DwmC_Foefen
Profile Blog Joined March 2007
Belgium2186 Posts
August 30 2011 09:46 GMT
#10676
On August 30 2011 10:30 infinity21 wrote:
I think milk/whey is prob your best bet to sneak in calories throughout the day.
7


Careful on the milk though, drank a lot last week and I was shitting like crazy. Maybe it's just me though :p
glurio
Profile Joined April 2010
Germany597 Posts
August 30 2011 11:23 GMT
#10677
Just eat some peanut butter and jelly sandwiches to get calories. Ice cream etc. It's not really hard to get calories in tbh.
Reach the protein goal and then fill up with that stuff.
Pasta is the easiest way to get in a lot of carbs at once.
Whether you think you can, or think you can't, you're right. - Henry Ford
rEiGN~
Profile Joined September 2010
369 Posts
August 30 2011 12:20 GMT
#10678
Intermittent fasting day 2. Jesus I was hungry before lunch at 2pm today.
TL.net Stream Viewer Count http://goo.gl/ahf1E
RosaParksStoleMySeat
Profile Joined December 2009
Japan926 Posts
August 30 2011 12:54 GMT
#10679
Drinking a ton of milk will help you learn how to eat.

Today's macros: 95g of fat, 230g of protein, 520g of carbs (lol).

I take my carb refeeds seriously.

Decaf: I've got no idea how you stay so lean on such consistently high calorie diets. I'm still moving more slowly towards 105kg, but my squat hasn't gone up in ages--probably about nine months of not hitting a new real PR (old PR is 130kg; felt like I could pull another rep at that weight too). Today I failed at 122.5kgx1, and also failed at 97.5kg bench. I used to rep 95kgx5 on bench too .

Yeah, I have to stop getting off track with the lifting. This is honestly getting embarrassing.
phyre112
Profile Joined August 2009
United States3090 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-08-30 13:10:28
August 30 2011 13:09 GMT
#10680
Leangains is ridiculous. not even one week in, and I notice significant changes to my stomach, as well as to my energy levels and my focus. Loving it so far. I would be that at the calorie levels I was at, I'm two weeks from visible abs.

Since that isn't my goal atm, I'm adding ANOTHER 100 calories to each day. (~3500 lifting days and ~2700 off days.) I think I also need to learn to estimate portion sizes better, I'm just going by "fist is a cup" "deck of cards is 3 oz" etc. etc.
Prev 1 532 533 534 535 536 730 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 10h 12m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft: Brood War
Rain 664
Artosis 543
White-Ra 128
910 42
Dota 2
monkeys_forever514
NeuroSwarm178
Counter-Strike
m0e_tv125
Super Smash Bros
AZ_Axe121
PPMD79
Heroes of the Storm
Trikslyr99
Other Games
summit1g8055
shahzam615
JimRising 438
C9.Mang0328
ArmadaUGS76
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick654
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream327
Other Games
BasetradeTV197
[ Show 11 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Hupsaiya 126
• Letter142
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• Azhi_Dahaki18
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Upcoming Events
Sparkling Tuna Cup
10h 12m
Afreeca Starleague
10h 12m
Leta vs Soulkey
PiGosaur Cup
1d
Kung Fu Cup
1d 11h
The PondCast
2 days
Replay Cast
3 days
CranKy Ducklings
4 days
Online Event
4 days
FEL
4 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
4 days
[ Show More ]
Sparkling Tuna Cup
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
WardiTV Weekly
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-27
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual
Stake Ranked Episode 3

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.