• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 20:38
CEST 02:38
KST 09:38
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double1Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon105
StarCraft 2
General
Stellar Fest 1 Replay Pack Recent patches and the Future StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double Balance hotfix patch 5.0.16b (July 16)
Tourneys
2026 GSTL Grand Finals ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament Master Swan Open (Global Bronze-Master 2) Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20)
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
BW General Discussion Bot on ladder [ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach PLAYzone Challenge - open offline tour in Prague an AI researcher's take on the ladder bot
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 1
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Total Annihilation Zero Nintendo Switch Thread EVE Corporation
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread All you football fans (soccer)!
Fan Clubs
MarineLorD Fan Club The Creator Fan Club The ShoWTimE Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
Violent-Cooperative Play and…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 8841 users

TL Health and Fitness Initiative 2011 - Page 533

Forum Index > Sports
Post a Reply
Prev 1 531 532 533 534 535 730 Next
exShikari
Profile Joined December 2010
Australia237 Posts
August 29 2011 20:22 GMT
#10641
On August 30 2011 03:57 eshlow wrote:
Show nested quote +
On August 30 2011 02:42 Mithrandir wrote:
On August 29 2011 21:43 eshlow wrote:
On August 29 2011 12:30 exShikari wrote:
On August 28 2011 20:48 Malinor wrote:
On August 28 2011 18:05 exShikari wrote:
I am genuinely at a loss as to why this thread is called the Health & Fitness initiative. I would rename it the bulking up thread. There's more to fitness than the size of your muscles -.-


If you read the OP, you will find a lot about nutrition, gymnastics and miscellaneous stuff (sleeping etc.) in there also. This thread has mainly developed into a Weightlifting thread, which is a little bit unfortunate and the reason why we are trying to get a sub-forum, where we can split stuff up into running, lifting, gymnastics, whatever your heart desires basically.

edit: I was surprised there is nothing about injuries/injury-prevention in our OP, or maybe I am just blind...

Besides that, I feel that a lot of the stuff you have posted on the last page seems questionable or even flat out wrong to me (and I don't say that because I believe that lifting heavy weights is the only way to achieve health and fitness). ==> Cardio helping with Pull-Ups? Only in the sense that if you lose 5kg by doing cardio those Pull-Ups will get easier.

Cardio helps with everything man, everything. I did read the OP which was fine, but yeah this is definitely a weight-lifting thread not a fitness thread which is why I questioned it. Sub-forums would be a good idea.


How does cardio help with pullups?

Studies would be useful, preferably.

I can show how weight lifting helps with running. Can you do the opposite?


Cardio helps with pullups by speeding recovery, if done right. 20 easy min 3x/week sorta deal.

Do I get a prize?

Now can you show me any world class runners who use weight training?
And please, endurance only. I think that's what the guy was referring to.


No, you don't get a prize because you haven't proven anything. Prove to me how the physiological adaptations obtained from cardio help to improve pullups.

I asked for studies of which I can provide for athletes in phases of endurance training the benefit of strength work:

Rowers:
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21510717
Cyclists:
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21362056
cross country skiing:
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21081854
Runners:
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20840561
etc.

Also, Hicham El Guerrouj's training program for example:
http://run-down.com/guests/mv_el_guerrouj.php

You see, I can find studies that prove that strength work supports cardiovascular adaptations. However, you will have lots of trouble reliably proving the opposite.

Ok. I'm not going to provide studies because I really can't be bothered right now (just finished work and it's nearly 6am ) but I'll dig some up if you really want.

If you knew anything at all about human biology you would know that the longer your body can utilise aerobic respiration to synthesise ATP the better. And guess what doing cardio does? Increases the aerobic threshold. Mind = blown.
On August 30 2011 03:36 AirbladeOrange wrote:
Show nested quote +
On August 30 2011 02:42 Mithrandir wrote:
On August 29 2011 21:43 eshlow wrote:
On August 29 2011 12:30 exShikari wrote:
On August 28 2011 20:48 Malinor wrote:
On August 28 2011 18:05 exShikari wrote:
I am genuinely at a loss as to why this thread is called the Health & Fitness initiative. I would rename it the bulking up thread. There's more to fitness than the size of your muscles -.-


If you read the OP, you will find a lot about nutrition, gymnastics and miscellaneous stuff (sleeping etc.) in there also. This thread has mainly developed into a Weightlifting thread, which is a little bit unfortunate and the reason why we are trying to get a sub-forum, where we can split stuff up into running, lifting, gymnastics, whatever your heart desires basically.

edit: I was surprised there is nothing about injuries/injury-prevention in our OP, or maybe I am just blind...

Besides that, I feel that a lot of the stuff you have posted on the last page seems questionable or even flat out wrong to me (and I don't say that because I believe that lifting heavy weights is the only way to achieve health and fitness). ==> Cardio helping with Pull-Ups? Only in the sense that if you lose 5kg by doing cardio those Pull-Ups will get easier.

Cardio helps with everything man, everything. I did read the OP which was fine, but yeah this is definitely a weight-lifting thread not a fitness thread which is why I questioned it. Sub-forums would be a good idea.


How does cardio help with pullups?

Studies would be useful, preferably.

I can show how weight lifting helps with running. Can you do the opposite?


Cardio helps with pullups by speeding recovery, if done right. 20 easy min 3x/week sorta deal.

Do I get a prize?

Now can you show me any world class runners who use weight training?
And please, endurance only. I think that's what the guy was referring to.


Top American marathoner Ryan Hall lifts weights. I believe all true elite distance runners do strength training of some kind. If it is not in the form of lifting weights it is in the form of doing plyometrics or drills of various kinds.

They do weights yeah but not to get big, more for muscle endurance.
It is, in the end, whatever the Hell I want it to be, And when I'm through with it, it's gonna blow a hole, This wide, straight through the worlds own idea of itself. They're throwing bottles at your house. Come on, lets go break their arms.
AirbladeOrange
Profile Blog Joined June 2010
United States2574 Posts
August 29 2011 20:31 GMT
#10642
On August 30 2011 05:22 exShikari wrote:
Show nested quote +
On August 30 2011 03:57 eshlow wrote:
On August 30 2011 02:42 Mithrandir wrote:
On August 29 2011 21:43 eshlow wrote:
On August 29 2011 12:30 exShikari wrote:
On August 28 2011 20:48 Malinor wrote:
On August 28 2011 18:05 exShikari wrote:
I am genuinely at a loss as to why this thread is called the Health & Fitness initiative. I would rename it the bulking up thread. There's more to fitness than the size of your muscles -.-


If you read the OP, you will find a lot about nutrition, gymnastics and miscellaneous stuff (sleeping etc.) in there also. This thread has mainly developed into a Weightlifting thread, which is a little bit unfortunate and the reason why we are trying to get a sub-forum, where we can split stuff up into running, lifting, gymnastics, whatever your heart desires basically.

edit: I was surprised there is nothing about injuries/injury-prevention in our OP, or maybe I am just blind...

Besides that, I feel that a lot of the stuff you have posted on the last page seems questionable or even flat out wrong to me (and I don't say that because I believe that lifting heavy weights is the only way to achieve health and fitness). ==> Cardio helping with Pull-Ups? Only in the sense that if you lose 5kg by doing cardio those Pull-Ups will get easier.

Cardio helps with everything man, everything. I did read the OP which was fine, but yeah this is definitely a weight-lifting thread not a fitness thread which is why I questioned it. Sub-forums would be a good idea.


How does cardio help with pullups?

Studies would be useful, preferably.

I can show how weight lifting helps with running. Can you do the opposite?


Cardio helps with pullups by speeding recovery, if done right. 20 easy min 3x/week sorta deal.

Do I get a prize?

Now can you show me any world class runners who use weight training?
And please, endurance only. I think that's what the guy was referring to.


No, you don't get a prize because you haven't proven anything. Prove to me how the physiological adaptations obtained from cardio help to improve pullups.

I asked for studies of which I can provide for athletes in phases of endurance training the benefit of strength work:

Rowers:
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21510717
Cyclists:
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21362056
cross country skiing:
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21081854
Runners:
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20840561
etc.

Also, Hicham El Guerrouj's training program for example:
http://run-down.com/guests/mv_el_guerrouj.php

You see, I can find studies that prove that strength work supports cardiovascular adaptations. However, you will have lots of trouble reliably proving the opposite.

Ok. I'm not going to provide studies because I really can't be bothered right now (just finished work and it's nearly 6am ) but I'll dig some up if you really want.

If you knew anything at all about human biology you would know that the longer your body can utilise aerobic respiration to synthesise ATP the better. And guess what doing cardio does? Increases the aerobic threshold. Mind = blown.
Show nested quote +
On August 30 2011 03:36 AirbladeOrange wrote:
On August 30 2011 02:42 Mithrandir wrote:
On August 29 2011 21:43 eshlow wrote:
On August 29 2011 12:30 exShikari wrote:
On August 28 2011 20:48 Malinor wrote:
On August 28 2011 18:05 exShikari wrote:
I am genuinely at a loss as to why this thread is called the Health & Fitness initiative. I would rename it the bulking up thread. There's more to fitness than the size of your muscles -.-


If you read the OP, you will find a lot about nutrition, gymnastics and miscellaneous stuff (sleeping etc.) in there also. This thread has mainly developed into a Weightlifting thread, which is a little bit unfortunate and the reason why we are trying to get a sub-forum, where we can split stuff up into running, lifting, gymnastics, whatever your heart desires basically.

edit: I was surprised there is nothing about injuries/injury-prevention in our OP, or maybe I am just blind...

Besides that, I feel that a lot of the stuff you have posted on the last page seems questionable or even flat out wrong to me (and I don't say that because I believe that lifting heavy weights is the only way to achieve health and fitness). ==> Cardio helping with Pull-Ups? Only in the sense that if you lose 5kg by doing cardio those Pull-Ups will get easier.

Cardio helps with everything man, everything. I did read the OP which was fine, but yeah this is definitely a weight-lifting thread not a fitness thread which is why I questioned it. Sub-forums would be a good idea.


How does cardio help with pullups?

Studies would be useful, preferably.

I can show how weight lifting helps with running. Can you do the opposite?


Cardio helps with pullups by speeding recovery, if done right. 20 easy min 3x/week sorta deal.

Do I get a prize?

Now can you show me any world class runners who use weight training?
And please, endurance only. I think that's what the guy was referring to.


Top American marathoner Ryan Hall lifts weights. I believe all true elite distance runners do strength training of some kind. If it is not in the form of lifting weights it is in the form of doing plyometrics or drills of various kinds.

They do weights yeah but not to get big, more for muscle endurance.


Lifting heavy is not synonymous with lifting to get big. Heavy lifting improves necessary muscle fiber recruitment needed to get the maximum amount of strength needed to perform a certain task. Many runner including myself lift heavy weights not to build muscular endurance but to build muscle power. Building muscular endurance for running is best done by running, not lifting.
JeeJee
Profile Blog Joined July 2003
Canada5652 Posts
August 29 2011 20:51 GMT
#10643
You best start believing in troll posters...
You're replying to one.


On a sidenote, I found this rather amusing @ fitocracy today:
[image loading]

=D
(\o/)  If you want it, you find a way. Otherwise you find excuses. No exceptions.
 /_\   aka Shinbi (requesting a name change since 27/05/09 ☺)
eshlow
Profile Joined June 2008
United States5210 Posts
August 29 2011 21:19 GMT
#10644
On August 30 2011 04:03 AirbladeOrange wrote:
I am training to compete in a few triathlons next year and am currently putting together a lifting program. I would like some advice about progression, periodization, or anything else if anyone can help me out.

The main muscles I am trying to target are:
Upper - biceps, triceps, shoulders, upper back, pecs
Core and lower back
Lower - Quads, hamstrings, glutes, and calves

The exercises I plan on lifting heavy on are bench, squat, and romanian deadlift
My body weight exercises are pull ups (normal and wide grip), chin ups, pushups, lunges
My core and lower back work is done with a medicine ball routine (hits some shoulder, upper back, and triceps as well)

The thing about triathlon training is it seems difficult to get a good schedule where you can swim, bike, run, and lift while making sure you can recover from everything you do. I don't want to do more than 3 days of strength training in a week and definitely not more than 2 days in a weight room. I only need the weight room for benching, squating, deadlifts, chin ups, and pull ups.

I also don't know much about periodization and progression. I have about a year to train and different stages with different goals to go through. If I want to lift heavy to build true strength do I need to start with higher reps for the first phase of lifting? When should I be doing my heaviest lifting and when should I begin to taper?

Thanks for any help that may be given.


Okay so....

What are your goals?
What are your current abilities (both with weights, and running/swimming/etc.)?
Height and weight?
How much time to the competition?
What facilities do you have access to?

What you are asking is a very complicated question obviously depending on a lot of factors.
Overcoming Gravity: A Systematic Approach to Gymnastics and Bodyweight Strength
eshlow
Profile Joined June 2008
United States5210 Posts
August 29 2011 21:25 GMT
#10645
On August 30 2011 05:22 exShikari wrote:
Show nested quote +
On August 30 2011 03:57 eshlow wrote:
On August 30 2011 02:42 Mithrandir wrote:
On August 29 2011 21:43 eshlow wrote:
On August 29 2011 12:30 exShikari wrote:
On August 28 2011 20:48 Malinor wrote:
On August 28 2011 18:05 exShikari wrote:
I am genuinely at a loss as to why this thread is called the Health & Fitness initiative. I would rename it the bulking up thread. There's more to fitness than the size of your muscles -.-


If you read the OP, you will find a lot about nutrition, gymnastics and miscellaneous stuff (sleeping etc.) in there also. This thread has mainly developed into a Weightlifting thread, which is a little bit unfortunate and the reason why we are trying to get a sub-forum, where we can split stuff up into running, lifting, gymnastics, whatever your heart desires basically.

edit: I was surprised there is nothing about injuries/injury-prevention in our OP, or maybe I am just blind...

Besides that, I feel that a lot of the stuff you have posted on the last page seems questionable or even flat out wrong to me (and I don't say that because I believe that lifting heavy weights is the only way to achieve health and fitness). ==> Cardio helping with Pull-Ups? Only in the sense that if you lose 5kg by doing cardio those Pull-Ups will get easier.

Cardio helps with everything man, everything. I did read the OP which was fine, but yeah this is definitely a weight-lifting thread not a fitness thread which is why I questioned it. Sub-forums would be a good idea.


How does cardio help with pullups?

Studies would be useful, preferably.

I can show how weight lifting helps with running. Can you do the opposite?


Cardio helps with pullups by speeding recovery, if done right. 20 easy min 3x/week sorta deal.

Do I get a prize?

Now can you show me any world class runners who use weight training?
And please, endurance only. I think that's what the guy was referring to.


No, you don't get a prize because you haven't proven anything. Prove to me how the physiological adaptations obtained from cardio help to improve pullups.

I asked for studies of which I can provide for athletes in phases of endurance training the benefit of strength work:

Rowers:
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21510717
Cyclists:
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21362056
cross country skiing:
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21081854
Runners:
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20840561
etc.

Also, Hicham El Guerrouj's training program for example:
http://run-down.com/guests/mv_el_guerrouj.php

You see, I can find studies that prove that strength work supports cardiovascular adaptations. However, you will have lots of trouble reliably proving the opposite.

Ok. I'm not going to provide studies because I really can't be bothered right now (just finished work and it's nearly 6am ) but I'll dig some up if you really want.

If you knew anything at all about human biology you would know that the longer your body can utilise aerobic respiration to synthesise ATP the better. And guess what doing cardio does? Increases the aerobic threshold. Mind = blown.
Show nested quote +
On August 30 2011 03:36 AirbladeOrange wrote:
On August 30 2011 02:42 Mithrandir wrote:
On August 29 2011 21:43 eshlow wrote:
On August 29 2011 12:30 exShikari wrote:
On August 28 2011 20:48 Malinor wrote:
On August 28 2011 18:05 exShikari wrote:
I am genuinely at a loss as to why this thread is called the Health & Fitness initiative. I would rename it the bulking up thread. There's more to fitness than the size of your muscles -.-


If you read the OP, you will find a lot about nutrition, gymnastics and miscellaneous stuff (sleeping etc.) in there also. This thread has mainly developed into a Weightlifting thread, which is a little bit unfortunate and the reason why we are trying to get a sub-forum, where we can split stuff up into running, lifting, gymnastics, whatever your heart desires basically.

edit: I was surprised there is nothing about injuries/injury-prevention in our OP, or maybe I am just blind...

Besides that, I feel that a lot of the stuff you have posted on the last page seems questionable or even flat out wrong to me (and I don't say that because I believe that lifting heavy weights is the only way to achieve health and fitness). ==> Cardio helping with Pull-Ups? Only in the sense that if you lose 5kg by doing cardio those Pull-Ups will get easier.

Cardio helps with everything man, everything. I did read the OP which was fine, but yeah this is definitely a weight-lifting thread not a fitness thread which is why I questioned it. Sub-forums would be a good idea.


How does cardio help with pullups?

Studies would be useful, preferably.

I can show how weight lifting helps with running. Can you do the opposite?


Cardio helps with pullups by speeding recovery, if done right. 20 easy min 3x/week sorta deal.

Do I get a prize?

Now can you show me any world class runners who use weight training?
And please, endurance only. I think that's what the guy was referring to.


Top American marathoner Ryan Hall lifts weights. I believe all true elite distance runners do strength training of some kind. If it is not in the form of lifting weights it is in the form of doing plyometrics or drills of various kinds.

They do weights yeah but not to get big, more for muscle endurance.


I have a BS in biochemistry. I know what you are thinking, but it's incorrect thinking.

I think you should consider the fact that cardiovascular endurance is not the limiting factor in endurance exercise. Vo2max, for example, which signifies both cardiovascular ability, is not the defining factor in ability in elite endurance runners.

When you are talking about an exercise such as pullups where there is more of a strength-endurance type of effort needed, the defining factors that influence performance will be (1) maximal strength which makes repetitions easier and (2) ability of the muscles to tolerate anaerobic threshold specific to that muscle.

Cardio, which works the legs, also benefits the heart. However, it is not confer any significant benefits to the lats, biceps, forearms, and rest of the shoulder girdle which is critical in building the strength-endurance of those muscles for pullups.

So basically what you are saying is wrong. Just flat out wrong.

There's no need to do cardio to increase pullup numbers. He needs to (1) train weighted pullups and (2) train lots of pullups in high rep sets.

Specificity in training is key to get good at things.
Overcoming Gravity: A Systematic Approach to Gymnastics and Bodyweight Strength
eshlow
Profile Joined June 2008
United States5210 Posts
August 29 2011 21:29 GMT
#10646
On August 30 2011 04:33 Magicbox wrote:
Show nested quote +
On August 29 2011 02:22 eshlow wrote:
On August 28 2011 18:39 Magicbox wrote:
Hi all!

I remember I used to post a little in one of the old H & F threads. I have been lifting on and off for some time, but I have decided I'm going to get huge. I'm starting a 3split routine tomorrow. My hope is that by posting in this thread I will stay motivated.

I will get some pictures taken asap, so I can see how my progress is.

I have some secondary goals as well.

First is being able to do a hundrede push-ups by the end of the semester. The whole class is training after each schoolday in order to reach the goal.

Second is getting some running shoes, so I can start running. I don't have any specific distances in mind, I'm just trying to improve my cardiovascular health.

Third is getting back into mountainbike hiking (in forest and such) again.

Fourth and last goal is to start rowing, so we can compete properly at our schools yearly competition (maritime school).

I'm 180 cm and weigh ~80 kg at present.


1. Hundred pushups can use that site which is already posted.

2. Running shoes -- get flats. Weight lifting improves cardiovascular health though too so I don't see why you HAVE to run but that's up to you.

3. Well yeah just go do it :p

4. What is the distance for the competition? When is it? That will depend on what type of training you need if you want to do well



1) yeah, will do

2) Thanks for the advice regarding shoes. I know it improves cardiovascular health, but not in a way where you can honestly say to yourself. Damn, I'm in good shape and I can do fast 5 klom run. My shape is at a point where weightlifting doesn't improve my cardiovascular form anymore.

3) will do as soon as I get a new mountainbike. The old one was stolen a few months ago

4) Iirc the distance is 1 kilometer ind the tourney is in 3 weeks time. We are 10 people rowing and 1 guy/gal being the 'boss' (I have no clue what it's called in English, but basically someone navigating/dealing orders). BUT since we are all first year students and none of us have tried rowing before, our ambition is only to participate. We are going to the local row club so we can start training a bit, so we can at least row synchron, but that's as far as it goes this season (season is almost over). Next season we can start training for real. But this season is only to participate for the lulz (and the girls :-D )


2. What type of shape is that?

Weight lifting improves the ability of ELITE endurance runners. Even if you were at that level, there is no way you could say that weight lifting would not improve your abilities. See the studies I referenced on the page before this one.

4. Well, 3 weeks is really too short to design any type of program around. You're best bet is to do some high intensity metabolic work 3-4x a week and then taper for about 2 days before the competition.

What you will want to do is work I would say 4-5x 250m intervals going all out. Rest 2-3 minutes between them.

Get a handle on how to pace yourself for the competition as well. What is your best time for 500m or 1000m? You should pace yourself about 110-115% or so of your 500m time if you have one of those, then just all out sprint the last 200m during competition.
Overcoming Gravity: A Systematic Approach to Gymnastics and Bodyweight Strength
rEiGN~
Profile Joined September 2010
369 Posts
August 29 2011 21:39 GMT
#10647
On August 30 2011 05:51 JeeJee wrote:
You best start believing in troll posters...
You're replying to one.


On a sidenote, I found this rather amusing @ fitocracy today:
[image loading]

=D

Can you invite people to that service?
TL.net Stream Viewer Count http://goo.gl/ahf1E
Vei
Profile Joined March 2010
United States2845 Posts
August 29 2011 21:45 GMT
#10648
omg, every nerd should do stiff-legged deadlifts... so good for posture correction.
www.justin.tv/veisc2 ~ 720p + commentary
sJarl
Profile Joined September 2010
Iceland1699 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-08-29 21:55:38
August 29 2011 21:53 GMT
#10649
On August 30 2011 06:39 rEiGN~ wrote:
Show nested quote +
On August 30 2011 05:51 JeeJee wrote:
You best start believing in troll posters...
You're replying to one.


On a sidenote, I found this rather amusing @ fitocracy today:
[image loading]

=D

Can you invite people to that service?


Yes, we can just pm us your email and we'll invite you.

Squatting 2 days in a row, with ultra sore shoulders is a bad idea. Smolov getting so close to finishing.

edit:

anyone have a super-secret way of instantly healing skin that got torn off?
"Witness!" - Karsa Orlong
eshlow
Profile Joined June 2008
United States5210 Posts
August 29 2011 22:08 GMT
#10650
On August 30 2011 06:53 sJarl wrote:
Show nested quote +
On August 30 2011 06:39 rEiGN~ wrote:
On August 30 2011 05:51 JeeJee wrote:
You best start believing in troll posters...
You're replying to one.


On a sidenote, I found this rather amusing @ fitocracy today:
[image loading]

=D

Can you invite people to that service?


Yes, we can just pm us your email and we'll invite you.

Squatting 2 days in a row, with ultra sore shoulders is a bad idea. Smolov getting so close to finishing.

edit:

anyone have a super-secret way of instantly healing skin that got torn off?


I go the salt route. Yes, it hurts so bad, but yes it toughens up the skin in a few days.
Overcoming Gravity: A Systematic Approach to Gymnastics and Bodyweight Strength
sJarl
Profile Joined September 2010
Iceland1699 Posts
August 29 2011 22:11 GMT
#10651
On August 30 2011 07:08 eshlow wrote:
Show nested quote +
On August 30 2011 06:53 sJarl wrote:
On August 30 2011 06:39 rEiGN~ wrote:
On August 30 2011 05:51 JeeJee wrote:
You best start believing in troll posters...
You're replying to one.


On a sidenote, I found this rather amusing @ fitocracy today:
[image loading]

=D

Can you invite people to that service?


Yes, we can just pm us your email and we'll invite you.

Squatting 2 days in a row, with ultra sore shoulders is a bad idea. Smolov getting so close to finishing.

edit:

anyone have a super-secret way of instantly healing skin that got torn off?


I go the salt route. Yes, it hurts so bad, but yes it toughens up the skin in a few days.


I got tears in my eyes reading that. You being serious? Just pour some salt into it and add plasters?
"Witness!" - Karsa Orlong
Malinor
Profile Joined November 2008
Germany4758 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-08-29 22:16:39
August 29 2011 22:16 GMT
#10652
On August 30 2011 07:11 sJarl wrote:
Show nested quote +
On August 30 2011 07:08 eshlow wrote:
On August 30 2011 06:53 sJarl wrote:
On August 30 2011 06:39 rEiGN~ wrote:
On August 30 2011 05:51 JeeJee wrote:
You best start believing in troll posters...
You're replying to one.


On a sidenote, I found this rather amusing @ fitocracy today:
[image loading]

=D

Can you invite people to that service?


Yes, we can just pm us your email and we'll invite you.

Squatting 2 days in a row, with ultra sore shoulders is a bad idea. Smolov getting so close to finishing.

edit:

anyone have a super-secret way of instantly healing skin that got torn off?


I go the salt route. Yes, it hurts so bad, but yes it toughens up the skin in a few days.


I got tears in my eyes reading that. You being serious? Just pour some salt into it and add plasters?

DO YOU WANT TO BE A REAL MAN???
+ Show Spoiler +
If it means pouring salt onto my wounds, I don't

"Withstand. Suffer. Live as you must now live. There will, one day, be answer to this." ||| "A life, Jimmy, you know what that is? It's the shit that happens while you're waiting for moments that never come."
sJarl
Profile Joined September 2010
Iceland1699 Posts
August 29 2011 22:22 GMT
#10653
I hate you.
"Witness!" - Karsa Orlong
AirbladeOrange
Profile Blog Joined June 2010
United States2574 Posts
August 29 2011 22:23 GMT
#10654
On August 30 2011 06:19 eshlow wrote:
Show nested quote +
On August 30 2011 04:03 AirbladeOrange wrote:
I am training to compete in a few triathlons next year and am currently putting together a lifting program. I would like some advice about progression, periodization, or anything else if anyone can help me out.

The main muscles I am trying to target are:
Upper - biceps, triceps, shoulders, upper back, pecs
Core and lower back
Lower - Quads, hamstrings, glutes, and calves

The exercises I plan on lifting heavy on are bench, squat, and romanian deadlift
My body weight exercises are pull ups (normal and wide grip), chin ups, pushups, lunges
My core and lower back work is done with a medicine ball routine (hits some shoulder, upper back, and triceps as well)

The thing about triathlon training is it seems difficult to get a good schedule where you can swim, bike, run, and lift while making sure you can recover from everything you do. I don't want to do more than 3 days of strength training in a week and definitely not more than 2 days in a weight room. I only need the weight room for benching, squating, deadlifts, chin ups, and pull ups.

I also don't know much about periodization and progression. I have about a year to train and different stages with different goals to go through. If I want to lift heavy to build true strength do I need to start with higher reps for the first phase of lifting? When should I be doing my heaviest lifting and when should I begin to taper?

Thanks for any help that may be given.


Okay so....

What are your goals?
What are your current abilities (both with weights, and running/swimming/etc.)?
Height and weight?
How much time to the competition?
What facilities do you have access to?

What you are asking is a very complicated question obviously depending on a lot of factors.


Thanks for the response.

My goal is to complete the triathlons I sign up for as fast as possible. Right now I don't have specific time goals as I don't have experience as a triathlete.

I have been a runner for a long time but can't run as much as I used to be able to because of my brittle shins. I haven't been improving my endurance in a while and could run a sub 19 minute 5k right now without any real training. I just got a bike and am unable to ride hard enough to give myself aerobic benefit because my quad muscles are limiting my ability to ride fast or long enough. For swimming, I do not know how to swim freestyle yet but will be on that in the coming weeks. I don't know how to state my current ability with weights as I haven't been on a lifting program. If I had to guess what I could do right now I'd say I can max bench 155, do 3 sets of 10 chin ups, and squat 180 pounds. I have been doing medicine ball stuff for my core, tris, upper back, quads, and shoulders as well as pushups for a while.

I'm not sure why height and weight matter so I'd like to know. I'm 5'7'' tall and weigh 132 pounds.

I have about a year until my competitions.

I have access to a weight room and will find access to an indoor pool as well.

I am thinking of a progression that gets me to peak for lifting the phase before my hardest event specific training phase in order to be at my strongest for the toughest training. Then just do maintenance work to keep my strength gains until I taper for the competitions.

Thanks again.
Drorctopus
Profile Joined October 2010
Netherlands135 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-08-29 22:38:01
August 29 2011 22:37 GMT
#10655
One week into ss: squat went from 60 to 65kg , gonna try to deadlift 75->80kg wednesday.
eshlow
Profile Joined June 2008
United States5210 Posts
August 29 2011 22:43 GMT
#10656
On August 30 2011 07:11 sJarl wrote:
Show nested quote +
On August 30 2011 07:08 eshlow wrote:
On August 30 2011 06:53 sJarl wrote:
On August 30 2011 06:39 rEiGN~ wrote:
On August 30 2011 05:51 JeeJee wrote:
You best start believing in troll posters...
You're replying to one.


On a sidenote, I found this rather amusing @ fitocracy today:
[image loading]

=D

Can you invite people to that service?


Yes, we can just pm us your email and we'll invite you.

Squatting 2 days in a row, with ultra sore shoulders is a bad idea. Smolov getting so close to finishing.

edit:

anyone have a super-secret way of instantly healing skin that got torn off?


I go the salt route. Yes, it hurts so bad, but yes it toughens up the skin in a few days.


I got tears in my eyes reading that. You being serious? Just pour some salt into it and add plasters?


Well, that's the way I do it.

You can use a warm bucket of water and add salt if that suits you better...
Overcoming Gravity: A Systematic Approach to Gymnastics and Bodyweight Strength
sJarl
Profile Joined September 2010
Iceland1699 Posts
August 29 2011 22:45 GMT
#10657
On August 30 2011 07:43 eshlow wrote:
Show nested quote +
On August 30 2011 07:11 sJarl wrote:
On August 30 2011 07:08 eshlow wrote:
On August 30 2011 06:53 sJarl wrote:
On August 30 2011 06:39 rEiGN~ wrote:
On August 30 2011 05:51 JeeJee wrote:
You best start believing in troll posters...
You're replying to one.


On a sidenote, I found this rather amusing @ fitocracy today:
[image loading]

=D

Can you invite people to that service?


Yes, we can just pm us your email and we'll invite you.

Squatting 2 days in a row, with ultra sore shoulders is a bad idea. Smolov getting so close to finishing.

edit:

anyone have a super-secret way of instantly healing skin that got torn off?


I go the salt route. Yes, it hurts so bad, but yes it toughens up the skin in a few days.


I got tears in my eyes reading that. You being serious? Just pour some salt into it and add plasters?


Well, that's the way I do it.

You can use a warm bucket of water and add salt if that suits you better...

Well, I just poured it on and I'll be damned if itsn't slightly better after the insane burn.

We'll see how it is tomorrow when I wake up.
"Witness!" - Karsa Orlong
eshlow
Profile Joined June 2008
United States5210 Posts
August 29 2011 22:52 GMT
#10658
On August 30 2011 07:23 AirbladeOrange wrote:
Show nested quote +
On August 30 2011 06:19 eshlow wrote:
On August 30 2011 04:03 AirbladeOrange wrote:
I am training to compete in a few triathlons next year and am currently putting together a lifting program. I would like some advice about progression, periodization, or anything else if anyone can help me out.

The main muscles I am trying to target are:
Upper - biceps, triceps, shoulders, upper back, pecs
Core and lower back
Lower - Quads, hamstrings, glutes, and calves

The exercises I plan on lifting heavy on are bench, squat, and romanian deadlift
My body weight exercises are pull ups (normal and wide grip), chin ups, pushups, lunges
My core and lower back work is done with a medicine ball routine (hits some shoulder, upper back, and triceps as well)

The thing about triathlon training is it seems difficult to get a good schedule where you can swim, bike, run, and lift while making sure you can recover from everything you do. I don't want to do more than 3 days of strength training in a week and definitely not more than 2 days in a weight room. I only need the weight room for benching, squating, deadlifts, chin ups, and pull ups.

I also don't know much about periodization and progression. I have about a year to train and different stages with different goals to go through. If I want to lift heavy to build true strength do I need to start with higher reps for the first phase of lifting? When should I be doing my heaviest lifting and when should I begin to taper?

Thanks for any help that may be given.


Okay so....

What are your goals?
What are your current abilities (both with weights, and running/swimming/etc.)?
Height and weight?
How much time to the competition?
What facilities do you have access to?

What you are asking is a very complicated question obviously depending on a lot of factors.


Thanks for the response.

My goal is to complete the triathlons I sign up for as fast as possible. Right now I don't have specific time goals as I don't have experience as a triathlete.

I have been a runner for a long time but can't run as much as I used to be able to because of my brittle shins. I haven't been improving my endurance in a while and could run a sub 19 minute 5k right now without any real training. I just got a bike and am unable to ride hard enough to give myself aerobic benefit because my quad muscles are limiting my ability to ride fast or long enough. For swimming, I do not know how to swim freestyle yet but will be on that in the coming weeks. I don't know how to state my current ability with weights as I haven't been on a lifting program. If I had to guess what I could do right now I'd say I can max bench 155, do 3 sets of 10 chin ups, and squat 180 pounds. I have been doing medicine ball stuff for my core, tris, upper back, quads, and shoulders as well as pushups for a while.

I'm not sure why height and weight matter so I'd like to know. I'm 5'7'' tall and weigh 132 pounds.

I have about a year until my competitions.

I have access to a weight room and will find access to an indoor pool as well.

I am thinking of a progression that gets me to peak for lifting the phase before my hardest event specific training phase in order to be at my strongest for the toughest training. Then just do maintenance work to keep my strength gains until I taper for the competitions.

Thanks again.


Well, that's not much detail to work with.

I would suggest getting in the gym 2x a week to work on your deadlift, squat, bench, and chins, Start adding weight to your chins. That's a barebones routine that you can do.

If you are going to go to the gym 5 days a week you should split up the volume you are going to do into 20-30 minutes segments and practice each of the things. For example, when you swim go swim and try to maintain for 20-30 minutes. On the days where you run and cycle do them at the same time.... cycling for 20-30 mintues then go running for 20-30 minutes. Paces you can maintain for that long or longer if you need longer work.

That will help to build your aerobic capacity. As the race starts to get within about 6 months you're going to want to start to start biasing your pacing towards the distance of your races modulating work with around anaerobic threshold for some shorter work, and about 10% below AT for longer work.

Around 2-3 months you're goign to want to cut back strength to 1 day per week to maintain.

1 month before you want to start working in some intervals and finishers.

1-2 weeks before you will start tapering.

There's a lot more details but that's the gist of the outline.
Overcoming Gravity: A Systematic Approach to Gymnastics and Bodyweight Strength
kakaman
Profile Blog Joined January 2010
United States1576 Posts
August 29 2011 23:05 GMT
#10659
So what do people think about Tyler's streaming marathon? Can it be done? I feel sick just thinking about it.
AoN.DimSum
Profile Blog Joined September 2008
United States2983 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-08-29 23:46:13
August 29 2011 23:44 GMT
#10660
On August 30 2011 08:05 kakaman wrote:
So what do people think about Tyler's streaming marathon? Can it be done? I feel sick just thinking about it.


What's a streaming marathon?

btw I cant seem to eat noodles/pasta anymore. I get so gassy now. :/
by my idol krokkis : "U better hope Finland wont have WCG next year and that I wont gain shitloads of skill, cause then I will wash ur mouth with soap, little man."
Prev 1 531 532 533 534 535 730 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 9h 22m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft: Brood War
Rain 2478
Artosis 685
White-Ra 116
910 44
Dota 2
monkeys_forever586
NeuroSwarm201
Counter-Strike
m0e_tv300
Super Smash Bros
AZ_Axe160
Other Games
summit1g8893
shahzam598
JimRising 575
C9.Mang0316
ArmadaUGS60
RuFF_SC29
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick790
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream334
[ Show 11 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Hupsaiya 120
• davetesta20
• Letter148
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Upcoming Events
Sparkling Tuna Cup
9h 22m
Afreeca Starleague
9h 22m
Leta vs Soulkey
PiGosaur Cup
23h 22m
Kung Fu Cup
1d 10h
The PondCast
2 days
Replay Cast
2 days
CranKy Ducklings
4 days
Online Event
4 days
FEL
4 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
4 days
[ Show More ]
Sparkling Tuna Cup
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
WardiTV Weekly
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-27
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual
Stake Ranked Episode 3

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.