• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 05:06
CEST 11:06
KST 18:06
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon106
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double Recent Patches and the Future Stellar Fest 1 Replay Pack Balance hotfix patch 5.0.16b (July 16)
Tourneys
SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ] 2026 GSTL Grand Finals ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament Master Swan Open (Global Bronze-Master 2)
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
a Announcement on the JEDI Ringing [ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach Bot on ladder BW General Discussion PLAYzone Challenge - open offline tour in Prague
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero Nintendo Switch Thread EVE Corporation
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread All you football fans (soccer)!
Fan Clubs
MarineLorD Fan Club The Creator Fan Club The ShoWTimE Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
Violent-Cooperative Play and…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 5972 users

Off-Topic General Discussion - Page 5134

Forum Index > The Shopkeeper′s Inn
Post a Reply
Prev 1 5132 5133 5134 5135 5136 5162 Next
Carnivorous Sheep
Profile Blog Joined November 2008
Baa?21247 Posts
June 03 2015 22:05 GMT
#102661
On June 04 2015 06:51 Karis Vas Ryaar wrote:

k that makes sense. I think the Mekong Delta one does a good job personally (although they do make it quite a bit heavier than the original but I personally kind of like that). But I do agree that too often they just take the melody and throw it into a guitar riff. also I'm assuming you meant heavy handed and not heaven handed


No, I mean the drummer puts on a white gloves that have been soaked in holy water and uses as drumsticks parts of the True Cross so that when he strikes the instrument created by stretching the Shroud of Turin over the Crown of Thorns, an angelic choir sings out "Hosanna in the highest" and the entire band ascends into the highest spheres of the celestial empyrean and merges into one entity with the love that moves the stars.

+ Show Spoiler +
Yes.
TranslatorBaa!
Ketara
Profile Blog Joined August 2010
United States15065 Posts
June 03 2015 22:13 GMT
#102662
On June 04 2015 07:05 Carnivorous Sheep wrote:
Show nested quote +
On June 04 2015 06:51 Karis Vas Ryaar wrote:

k that makes sense. I think the Mekong Delta one does a good job personally (although they do make it quite a bit heavier than the original but I personally kind of like that). But I do agree that too often they just take the melody and throw it into a guitar riff. also I'm assuming you meant heavy handed and not heaven handed


No, I mean the drummer puts on a white gloves that have been soaked in holy water and uses as drumsticks parts of the True Cross so that when he strikes the instrument created by stretching the Shroud of Turin over the Crown of Thorns, an angelic choir sings out "Hosanna in the highest" and the entire band ascends into the highest spheres of the celestial empyrean and merges into one entity with the love that moves the stars.

+ Show Spoiler +
Yes.


That's pretty metal.
http://www.liquidlegends.net/forum/lol-general/502075-patch-61-league-of-legends-general-discussion?page=25#498
Karis Vas Ryaar
Profile Blog Joined July 2011
United States4396 Posts
Last Edited: 2015-06-03 22:42:13
June 03 2015 22:29 GMT
#102663
On June 04 2015 07:05 Carnivorous Sheep wrote:
Show nested quote +
On June 04 2015 06:51 Karis Vas Ryaar wrote:

k that makes sense. I think the Mekong Delta one does a good job personally (although they do make it quite a bit heavier than the original but I personally kind of like that). But I do agree that too often they just take the melody and throw it into a guitar riff. also I'm assuming you meant heavy handed and not heaven handed


No, I mean the drummer puts on a white gloves that have been soaked in holy water and uses as drumsticks parts of the True Cross so that when he strikes the instrument created by stretching the Shroud of Turin over the Crown of Thorns, an angelic choir sings out "Hosanna in the highest" and the entire band ascends into the highest spheres of the celestial empyrean and merges into one entity with the love that moves the stars.

+ Show Spoiler +
Yes.


didn't they lose the true cross back in the crusades?

I think the fact that they actually found the thing would be more impressive then the rest of it. people have been looking for it for a long time

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Hattin

"I'm not agreeing with a lot of Virus's decisions but they are working" Tasteless. Ipl4 Losers Bracket Virus 2-1 Maru
AlterKot
Profile Blog Joined January 2014
Poland7525 Posts
Last Edited: 2015-06-03 22:47:16
June 03 2015 22:46 GMT
#102664
Just avoided losing the game thanks to drophacks! Also I'm forced to spend my evening better.
Americans don't like to use unblockables, it is considered not honest. You press a button at the wrong time and hit the other person, you are random, not a top player. You DP Sim's far fierce, it is random and not honest.
Crusnik
Profile Joined December 2010
United States5378 Posts
June 03 2015 22:51 GMT
#102665
Hm, so, when do people in here play the lottery? Like, what does the pot need to be for you to throw $2-3 at it? Personally, around $200m is my cutoff, anything lower and I don't care enough, but 180-200 it's just why not.
Steam: rook492
Cixah
Profile Joined July 2010
United States11285 Posts
June 03 2015 22:52 GMT
#102666
On June 04 2015 07:51 Crusnik wrote:
Hm, so, when do people in here play the lottery? Like, what does the pot need to be for you to throw $2-3 at it? Personally, around $200m is my cutoff, anything lower and I don't care enough, but 180-200 it's just why not.


Any time it makes the news.
Hug The Goat! Hug the Goat! Hug the Goat!
Karis Vas Ryaar
Profile Blog Joined July 2011
United States4396 Posts
June 03 2015 22:56 GMT
#102667
On June 04 2015 07:51 Crusnik wrote:
Hm, so, when do people in here play the lottery? Like, what does the pot need to be for you to throw $2-3 at it? Personally, around $200m is my cutoff, anything lower and I don't care enough, but 180-200 it's just why not.



my dad buys a lottery ticket whenever he travels but I personally never do.
"I'm not agreeing with a lot of Virus's decisions but they are working" Tasteless. Ipl4 Losers Bracket Virus 2-1 Maru
Crusnik
Profile Joined December 2010
United States5378 Posts
June 03 2015 22:56 GMT
#102668
So exceedingly large, gotcha.
Steam: rook492
Scip
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
Czech Republic11293 Posts
Last Edited: 2015-06-03 22:59:44
June 03 2015 22:59 GMT
#102669
On June 04 2015 07:51 Crusnik wrote:
Hm, so, when do people in here play the lottery? Like, what does the pot need to be for you to throw $2-3 at it? Personally, around $200m is my cutoff, anything lower and I don't care enough, but 180-200 it's just why not.

It'd have to have +EV without a massive deviation
which it never does, sadness.
"It may be pleasurable for some of us to imagine being ravished" - Christopher Hitchens in a debate with feminists RIP 2011 Psalm 2:9 You shall break them with a rod of iron
Alaric
Profile Joined November 2009
France45622 Posts
June 03 2015 23:01 GMT
#102670
The use of "derivative" sounded derogatory, dunno if that was intended, but I'm fine with it—ZUN tries to draw inspiration from "typical" tunes to give specific vibes to his themes, so it's pretty much all assumed, and he's self-taught as far as I know.

The issue I have with most of the metal stuff is that I have a hard time actually calling it a "cover": it takes your most generic metal stuff, then slaps some bits of the actual melody (the most easily recognisable ones) at a few intervals to make you think it's covering that, despite the vast majority of the melody having nothing to do with it.
The fact that it's also almost all subgenres I dislike (my references in metal are Judas Priest, Iron Maiden, and hard rock stuff like Deep Purple or BÖC, so magnitudes more melodic than a lot of what developed since) and it sounds like people bashing their instruments to me doesn't help, of course.

There's some very generic covers—hell, Tutti Sound did a whole album called "Touhou Film Music Selection" that is basically covers arranged in a way to sound like your most stereotypical "epic" movie soundtracks of recent years.
It's sometimes uninspired or even bland, kinda hit or miss (same with Two Steps from Hell which does super generic "epic" music), but on average it's efficient and still something you'd hear without cringing.
Most metal covers have me closing them less than 30s after the intro is over, telling myself "Well, that was noise".

I guess I can see why people like Demetori, but that's not really my style of metal, and they often add vocals which I'm not a fan of.
Cant take LMS hipsters serious.
Slayer91
Profile Joined February 2006
Ireland23430 Posts
Last Edited: 2015-06-03 23:05:50
June 03 2015 23:05 GMT
#102671
On June 04 2015 07:51 Crusnik wrote:
Hm, so, when do people in here play the lottery? Like, what does the pot need to be for you to throw $2-3 at it? Personally, around $200m is my cutoff, anything lower and I don't care enough, but 180-200 it's just why not.


wtf? whats the difference between 100 mil and 200 mil and like 10 mil for someone making a regular wage, id much prefer a 200x more likely chance to win 1 mil$ and can pretty much live off that
that said, its obviously still not worth it
Crusnik
Profile Joined December 2010
United States5378 Posts
June 03 2015 23:29 GMT
#102672
I don't have a reason for it, that's just normally when it catches my eye.

And I forgot to kill Kirk in the Depths, fuck, not sure I can get his equipment now or not, not that I would use it, most armor in dark souls is pointless anyway aside from giving you some poise, which is all that matters.
Steam: rook492
Cixah
Profile Joined July 2010
United States11285 Posts
June 03 2015 23:31 GMT
#102673
"Murphy why didn't you submit anything to the team meeting today?"

I didn't have anything to report.everything is..

"Its because you can't type isn't it?"

I hate you so much right now.
Hug The Goat! Hug the Goat! Hug the Goat!
thejuju
Profile Joined January 2015
United States413 Posts
June 03 2015 23:50 GMT
#102674
On June 04 2015 08:01 Alaric wrote:
The use of "derivative" sounded derogatory, dunno if that was intended, but I'm fine with it—ZUN tries to draw inspiration from "typical" tunes to give specific vibes to his themes, so it's pretty much all assumed, and he's self-taught as far as I know.

The issue I have with most of the metal stuff is that I have a hard time actually calling it a "cover": it takes your most generic metal stuff, then slaps some bits of the actual melody (the most easily recognisable ones) at a few intervals to make you think it's covering that, despite the vast majority of the melody having nothing to do with it.
The fact that it's also almost all subgenres I dislike (my references in metal are Judas Priest, Iron Maiden, and hard rock stuff like Deep Purple or BÖC, so magnitudes more melodic than a lot of what developed since) and it sounds like people bashing their instruments to me doesn't help, of course.

There's some very generic covers—hell, Tutti Sound did a whole album called "Touhou Film Music Selection" that is basically covers arranged in a way to sound like your most stereotypical "epic" movie soundtracks of recent years.
It's sometimes uninspired or even bland, kinda hit or miss (same with Two Steps from Hell which does super generic "epic" music), but on average it's efficient and still something you'd hear without cringing.
Most metal covers have me closing them less than 30s after the intro is over, telling myself "Well, that was noise".

I guess I can see why people like Demetori, but that's not really my style of metal, and they often add vocals which I'm not a fan of.


That's part of the appeal of ZUN's music. It's extremely simple, typical, but imaginative and just works. Also considering that he's just a drunk Japanese guy at a synthesizer, he does make some pretty damn good music.

Because of how simple it is, people just took the next step in remixing it to make it sound "cool" or whatever. It, like everything else related to Touhou, just spiraled out of control. Look at all of the U.N. Owen was Her? remixes. Only a third of them sound anything as good as the original bit on a synthesizer.

The problem with most Touhou music is that most people are amateurs and the music sounds just ok, so quality is really hit or miss. I'd probably get crucified by Touhou music fanatics but most Touhou music just is kinda meh. Most of the time ZUN does a better job with less. It's just that the really good Touhou music does the job really well, because the source is so good most of the time.

Also because of the nature of Touhou music it is the ultimate hipster music. Pretty much all doujin works by doujin circles There is no single genre of music that encompasses hipsterdom as much as Touhou does.

Most arranges, while pleasant to listen to, aren't that unique or fantastic. Metal in Touhou, however, is generally poor. I agree that most metal bands just bash around and add in Touhou melody. (*COUGHIRONATTACKCOUGH*)

Also, speaking of ZUN, I find his very first arrange ever to be his best. Even though it's 8 bit.
@whyjujuwhy | THE BIGGEST FRAUD ON LL | Ultimate Passionlord | N E V E R G I V E U P
Karis Vas Ryaar
Profile Blog Joined July 2011
United States4396 Posts
June 03 2015 23:52 GMT
#102675
I didn't even know there were actually Touhou bands.
"I'm not agreeing with a lot of Virus's decisions but they are working" Tasteless. Ipl4 Losers Bracket Virus 2-1 Maru
AlterKot
Profile Blog Joined January 2014
Poland7525 Posts
June 03 2015 23:57 GMT
#102676
[image loading]
Americans don't like to use unblockables, it is considered not honest. You press a button at the wrong time and hit the other person, you are random, not a top player. You DP Sim's far fierce, it is random and not honest.
thejuju
Profile Joined January 2015
United States413 Posts
June 03 2015 23:57 GMT
#102677
On June 04 2015 08:52 Karis Vas Ryaar wrote:
I didn't even know there were actually Touhou bands.

That's how fucking incredibly niche it is rofl
@whyjujuwhy | THE BIGGEST FRAUD ON LL | Ultimate Passionlord | N E V E R G I V E U P
Cixah
Profile Joined July 2010
United States11285 Posts
June 03 2015 23:59 GMT
#102678
On June 04 2015 08:57 AlterKot wrote:
[image loading]


Damn scip so gud.
Hug The Goat! Hug the Goat! Hug the Goat!
Yorbon
Profile Joined December 2011
Netherlands4272 Posts
June 04 2015 00:09 GMT
#102679
When I started playing osu!, i noticed all music i liked a little bit had the tag touhou. I didn't even know what touhou was back then. The music isn't good compared to what i'd listen to normally, but it's great as gaming background music and has some very catchy melodies. The only touhou music 'covers' i liked were by IOSYS, but one can hardly call that music anymore
Bad apple's melody appeals the most to me, although I never heard the original (if there even is one lol).

If there are people who played osu quite some time ago, lybydose has mapped some touhou music i really liked.
Karis Vas Ryaar
Profile Blog Joined July 2011
United States4396 Posts
Last Edited: 2015-06-04 00:12:07
June 04 2015 00:09 GMT
#102680
On June 04 2015 08:57 thejuju wrote:
Show nested quote +
On June 04 2015 08:52 Karis Vas Ryaar wrote:
I didn't even know there were actually Touhou bands.

That's how fucking incredibly niche it is rofl


it must be niche cause I've never heard of it and I listen to Japanese cyberpunk (which as far as I can tell consists of a grand total of 1 band)
"I'm not agreeing with a lot of Virus's decisions but they are working" Tasteless. Ipl4 Losers Bracket Virus 2-1 Maru
Prev 1 5132 5133 5134 5135 5136 5162 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 54m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
SortOf 202
StarCraft: Brood War
actioN 1142
Bisu 747
Soma 172
hero 168
HiyA 104
EffOrt 65
sorry 36
ZerO 32
Mong 31
Killer 28
[ Show more ]
Bale 22
Pusan 20
Sharp 17
Noble 11
Terrorterran 11
JulyZerg 9
League of Legends
JimRising 465
Counter-Strike
edward18
Heroes of the Storm
WinterStarcraft822
crisheroes354
Other Games
gofns22426
olofmeister1040
singsing918
ceh9542
Livibee242
Pyrionflax97
ArmadaUGS42
ZerO(Twitch)6
Organizations
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream544
Other Games
gamesdonequick535
StarCraft: Brood War
lovetv 16
[ Show 16 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Berry_CruncH349
• StrangeGG 29
• LUISG 13
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• lizZardDota2408
League of Legends
• Jankos1636
• Rush1117
• Lourlo942
• Stunt440
Upcoming Events
Sparkling Tuna Cup
54m
Afreeca Starleague
54m
Leta vs Soulkey
PiGosaur Cup
14h 54m
Kung Fu Cup
1d 1h
The PondCast
2 days
Replay Cast
2 days
CranKy Ducklings
4 days
Online Event
4 days
FEL
4 days
AI Arena Tournament
4 days
[ Show More ]
BSL: Ladder Tournament
4 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
WardiTV Weekly
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-27
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual
Stake Ranked Episode 3

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.