• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 19:33
CEST 01:33
KST 08:33
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)73Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2317
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Back to SC2 after 14 years - Protoss CTRL groups? October World Ranking: herO stays #1, ByuN returns
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ]
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
Sagi.gg Launcher Released Fantasy returning? BSL Season 23 20-year-old Valorant player starting StarCraft Bot on ladder
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 2v2v2v2 Tournament
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Russo-Ukrainian War Thread US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Canadian Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 8991 users

A Second Overview of HotS Zerg - Page 12

Forum Index > StarCraft 2 Strategy
281 CommentsPost a Reply
Prev 1 10 11 12 13 14 15 Next All
Deleted User 261926
Profile Joined April 2012
960 Posts
November 27 2013 12:48 GMT
#221
On November 27 2013 20:24 A_Scarecrow wrote:
should you build roach warren earlier if terran goes for fast helions/blueflame all in?

If it is on 2 bases I seriously doubt that. I might be wrong though.
blade55555
Profile Blog Joined March 2009
United States17423 Posts
November 27 2013 13:28 GMT
#222
On November 27 2013 20:24 A_Scarecrow wrote:
should you build roach warren earlier if terran goes for fast helions/blueflame all in?


No unless they are doing a 1 base all in by the time it hits it will have been after you get the normal roach warren anyway.
When I think of something else, something will go here
A_Scarecrow
Profile Joined March 2013
Australia721 Posts
November 27 2013 13:38 GMT
#223
hmm ok I suppose. as of late ive been struggling against early helions from kr diamond players. try and get surrounds and ect but their control is always good enough to get the better engagement. maybe just work on my micro again.
THAmarx
Profile Joined December 2010
65 Posts
November 27 2013 14:15 GMT
#224
do you still get a roach warren defensivly ? To be honest i only make it reactionary when spotting hellbats/blueflame or when i want to do a roach bane all in. I feel like a baneling nest can deal with the rest of the agression terran put up with.
It's only hard to deal with banshee hellion marine agression. But some extra queens fill the gap untill mutas come out and chase it away.
blade55555
Profile Blog Joined March 2009
United States17423 Posts
November 29 2013 20:04 GMT
#225
On November 27 2013 23:15 THAmarx wrote:
do you still get a roach warren defensivly ? To be honest i only make it reactionary when spotting hellbats/blueflame or when i want to do a roach bane all in. I feel like a baneling nest can deal with the rest of the agression terran put up with.
It's only hard to deal with banshee hellion marine agression. But some extra queens fill the gap untill mutas come out and chase it away.


Yeah I do get it defensively. Is it a must? No, it all goes down to preference and I just prefer it unless I see my opponent is not doing hellions or something.
When I think of something else, something will go here
Solanek
Profile Joined September 2013
Romania7 Posts
December 04 2013 10:58 GMT
#226
Blade can you pls addj to this guide OL PLACEMENT for this sesons maps? Some photo with marks on them for Ol
Me life for AIUR!
THAmarx
Profile Joined December 2010
65 Posts
December 04 2013 11:53 GMT
#227
On November 30 2013 05:04 blade55555 wrote:
Show nested quote +
On November 27 2013 23:15 THAmarx wrote:
+ Show Spoiler +
do you still get a roach warren defensivly ? To be honest i only make it reactionary when spotting hellbats/blueflame or when i want to do a roach bane all in. I feel like a baneling nest can deal with the rest of the agression terran put up with.
It's only hard to deal with banshee hellion marine agression. But some extra queens fill the gap untill mutas come out and chase it away.


Yeah I do get it defensively. Is it a must? No, it all goes down to preference and I just prefer it unless I see my opponent is not doing hellions or something.


me with my big mouth... after i posted this i got hellbat pushed 3 times in a row. Roach warren would been helpfull ^^
TAMinator
Profile Joined February 2011
Australia2706 Posts
December 04 2013 13:22 GMT
#228
On December 04 2013 19:58 Solanek wrote:
Blade can you pls addj to this guide OL PLACEMENT for this sesons maps? Some photo with marks on them for Ol

I like this diea. Also, when each OL should be there for 2 player maps
SC2Toastie
Profile Blog Joined October 2013
Netherlands5725 Posts
December 04 2013 15:58 GMT
#229
It does depend a lot on variables....
Do you drone scout? How afraid are you of vikings/phoenix, what do you want the overlord to do, what is the general playstyle of your opponent, locations on the map, opponents opening, opportunity costs of having overlords in scouting position as opposed to defensive, etc.

Furthermore, any kind of dead space on the map OR unaccessible/hard to get vision of high-ground is a suitable location.
Mura Ma Man, Dark Da Dude, Super Shot Sos!
Deleted User 261926
Profile Joined April 2012
960 Posts
December 04 2013 18:12 GMT
#230
Hey Blade, great guide there.
I am a bit lost in ZvZ now (EU mid master) and the match up is holding me back a lot. Which of the styles you mentioned do you think will work out the most in ladder? I just need a style to focus on in order to improve with that and general ZvZ mechanics.
blade55555
Profile Blog Joined March 2009
United States17423 Posts
December 07 2013 18:13 GMT
#231
On December 05 2013 03:12 Karpfen wrote:
Hey Blade, great guide there.
I am a bit lost in ZvZ now (EU mid master) and the match up is holding me back a lot. Which of the styles you mentioned do you think will work out the most in ladder? I just need a style to focus on in order to improve with that and general ZvZ mechanics.


Right now mutalisks are the most common on the ladder for sure. Most of my zvz's are muta wars.
When I think of something else, something will go here
THAmarx
Profile Joined December 2010
65 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-12-11 12:50:12
December 11 2013 12:49 GMT
#232
hey blade,
I am watching a lot of gm streams.
I noticed a lot of gm open muta in tvz. They go instead of fast upgrades for a spire and make around 10 mutas.
Getting map control over the hellion reaper / sometimes banshee. And then getting upgrades more bases and stuff.
Is this a style you would recommend?

edit: when i asked the gm when he would do this he replied, only if they opened reaper.
blade55555
Profile Blog Joined March 2009
United States17423 Posts
December 11 2013 13:30 GMT
#233
On December 11 2013 21:49 THAmarx wrote:
hey blade,
I am watching a lot of gm streams.
I noticed a lot of gm open muta in tvz. They go instead of fast upgrades for a spire and make around 10 mutas.
Getting map control over the hellion reaper / sometimes banshee. And then getting upgrades more bases and stuff.
Is this a style you would recommend?

edit: when i asked the gm when he would do this he replied, only if they opened reaper.


Um like fast 2 base muta? Opening muta is very common zvt but if it's 2 base muta it can be risky doing it but it can also be very good as well.
When I think of something else, something will go here
THAmarx
Profile Joined December 2010
65 Posts
December 11 2013 14:39 GMT
#234
On December 11 2013 22:30 blade55555 wrote:
Show nested quote +
On December 11 2013 21:49 THAmarx wrote:
+ Show Spoiler +

hey blade,
I am watching a lot of gm streams.
I noticed a lot of gm open muta in tvz. They go instead of fast upgrades for a spire and make around 10 mutas.
Getting map control over the hellion reaper / sometimes banshee. And then getting upgrades more bases and stuff.
Is this a style you would recommend?

edit: when i asked the gm when he would do this he replied, only if they opened reaper.


Um like fast 2 base muta? Opening muta is very common zvt but if it's 2 base muta it can be risky doing it but it can also be very good as well.


i would like to do the standard opener version. I like to have mapcontrol vs the reaper hellion and doing some presure forcing them to invest in missleturrets. My only problem is i dont know the optimal timings.
zerge
Profile Joined December 2012
Germany162 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-12-11 17:56:58
December 11 2013 17:54 GMT
#235
Standard opener is a 3rd around 6 minutes but you will have to make speedlings to defend against hellion reaper with that. If you want to push back the terran with mutas only you have to stay on 2 base. In any case you should start your lair at 100 gas and add 3 more gases imidiatly, you will have enaugh gas for 10 mutas when the spire finishes. For 2 base muta the earliest lair can start at 5:00 before that you hurt your mineral income too much. It is up to you how greedy you are going to be (skipping ling speed, late spine crawler, no 3rd queen). I personally dont like the risk/reward of 2 base muta but i'm just a low master scrub who likey theorycrafting so feel free to coppy the pros, i have seen scarlett do it and she is very good.
If you want to go for the more standard 3 base opener and just skip the upgrades get your lair at 6:30. You will need speedlings to defend the early harass but you will have mutas earlier than most terrans expect it.
blade55555
Profile Blog Joined March 2009
United States17423 Posts
December 12 2013 01:30 GMT
#236
On December 11 2013 23:39 THAmarx wrote:
Show nested quote +
On December 11 2013 22:30 blade55555 wrote:
On December 11 2013 21:49 THAmarx wrote:
+ Show Spoiler +

hey blade,
I am watching a lot of gm streams.
I noticed a lot of gm open muta in tvz. They go instead of fast upgrades for a spire and make around 10 mutas.
Getting map control over the hellion reaper / sometimes banshee. And then getting upgrades more bases and stuff.
Is this a style you would recommend?

edit: when i asked the gm when he would do this he replied, only if they opened reaper.


Um like fast 2 base muta? Opening muta is very common zvt but if it's 2 base muta it can be risky doing it but it can also be very good as well.


i would like to do the standard opener version. I like to have mapcontrol vs the reaper hellion and doing some presure forcing them to invest in missleturrets. My only problem is i dont know the optimal timings.


the OP has a standard zvt muta build that I still do today and most zergs do some sort of variation of it.
When I think of something else, something will go here
straycat
Profile Blog Joined May 2011
230 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-12-13 13:08:25
December 13 2013 13:07 GMT
#237
ZvT vs reaper into cc. When do I take gas 3,4,5,6?
I'm so gas starved always TT
weikor
Profile Blog Joined March 2011
Austria580 Posts
December 13 2013 13:59 GMT
#238
A really cool guide giving players a solid base to reach the next league. i especially like the gameshow feeling at the end.

Ding Ding Ding
the guide is finished - but wait theres more,
whats that? a BONUS ALL in vs protoss?? order one solid game plan vs Aiur get one free!
blade55555
Profile Blog Joined March 2009
United States17423 Posts
December 14 2013 01:19 GMT
#239
On December 13 2013 22:07 straycat wrote:
ZvT vs reaper into cc. When do I take gas 3,4,5,6?
I'm so gas starved always TT


Hm a good timing is when you have 2 bases to start gas 3/4 (or when you start lair), I get my 5th/6th gas as my 3rd is about to be saturated.
When I think of something else, something will go here
roym899
Profile Joined March 2011
Germany426 Posts
December 14 2013 14:17 GMT
#240
I have a question regarding ZvZ. I actually kinda like the matchup when muta/ling vs muta/ling. But I'm a bit lost currently now that there are a lot more players going for some kind of 2 base roach timing where they get +1/+1 quite early and can push out vs my mutas which won't arrive in time to defend. Is it even possible to defend these timings going muta? Or should I get a roach warren myself once I scout very early double evolution chambers?
Prev 1 10 11 12 13 14 15 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Replay Cast
08:00
QMC Community Tournament 1
CranKy Ducklings40
Liquipedia
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
Nathanias 151
SpeCial 72
CosmosSc2 40
StarCraft: Brood War
Artosis 675
910 59
Bale 14
Dota 2
NeuroSwarm101
League of Legends
Doublelift2889
Other Games
summit1g8766
shahzam724
C9.Mang0295
PiGStarcraft213
JimRising 192
Maynarde114
Liquid`Ken7
Vindicta6
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick649
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream34
[ Show 15 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Hupsaiya 108
• musti20045 38
• CranKy Ducklings SOOP33
• davetesta14
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• masondota21557
Other Games
• imaqtpie714
• Shiphtur209
Upcoming Events
Afreeca Starleague
10h 27m
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
11h 27m
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
1d
Patches Events
1d 16h
The PondCast
2 days
INu's Battles
2 days
Percival vs TBD
TBD vs herO
OSC
2 days
Replay Cast
2 days
OSC
3 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
4 days
[ Show More ]
Sparkling Tuna Cup
5 days
Patches Events
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
HCC Season 3
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.