• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 15:59
CEST 21:59
KST 04:59
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)48Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double
Tourneys
Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) 2026 GSTL Grand Finals SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ] ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
Fantasy returning? Bot on ladder BW General Discussion ASL22 General Discussion a Announcement on the JEDI Ringing
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread All you football fans (soccer)! Russo-Ukrainian War Thread
Fan Clubs
MarineLorD Fan Club The Creator Fan Club The ShoWTimE Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 8866 users

[G] Zerg vs Zerg ling/infestor into ultralisks - Page 6

Forum Index > StarCraft 2 Strategy
Post a Reply
Prev 1 4 5 6 7 8 17 Next All
blade55555
Profile Blog Joined March 2009
United States17423 Posts
June 21 2012 19:42 GMT
#101
On June 22 2012 04:39 andeh wrote:
Can you talk about what triggers you think about when to take a 3rd? I can't figure out a good situation timing.


I take it when my opponent takes his (if he does it before lair I will do the same). If he doesn't I don't. The reason I don't is because a 2 base roach timing would kill it and potentially kill me anyway.
When I think of something else, something will go here
oOOoOphidian
Profile Joined January 2011
United States1402 Posts
June 21 2012 19:43 GMT
#102
On June 22 2012 04:42 blade55555 wrote:
Show nested quote +
On June 22 2012 04:39 andeh wrote:
Can you talk about what triggers you think about when to take a 3rd? I can't figure out a good situation timing.


I take it when my opponent takes his (if he does it before lair I will do the same). If he doesn't I don't. The reason I don't is because a 2 base roach timing would kill it and potentially kill me anyway.

I think after you have a decent count of infestors you should be able to take the 3rd, right?
Creator of sc2unmasked.com
blade55555
Profile Blog Joined March 2009
United States17423 Posts
June 21 2012 19:44 GMT
#103
On June 22 2012 04:43 oOOoOphidian wrote:
Show nested quote +
On June 22 2012 04:42 blade55555 wrote:
On June 22 2012 04:39 andeh wrote:
Can you talk about what triggers you think about when to take a 3rd? I can't figure out a good situation timing.


I take it when my opponent takes his (if he does it before lair I will do the same). If he doesn't I don't. The reason I don't is because a 2 base roach timing would kill it and potentially kill me anyway.

I think after you have a decent count of infestors you should be able to take the 3rd, right?


You can take it before, obviously if you get lair and get infestors out then you can take your third to. If you don't take it early, you can take it fine right as soon as lair finishes and you get infestors.
When I think of something else, something will go here
oOOoOphidian
Profile Joined January 2011
United States1402 Posts
June 21 2012 21:27 GMT
#104
Oh, also if you scout double gas at the natural and spines I feel it's pretty safe to take a third, provided you account for a handful of lings they may use to deny it. Is that pretty much correct? Seems like 20~ lings is the typical number a muta or infestor player will send at your third before lair gets up.
Creator of sc2unmasked.com
blade55555
Profile Blog Joined March 2009
United States17423 Posts
June 21 2012 21:29 GMT
#105
On June 22 2012 06:27 oOOoOphidian wrote:
Oh, also if you scout double gas at the natural and spines I feel it's pretty safe to take a third, provided you account for a handful of lings they may use to deny it. Is that pretty much correct? Seems like 20~ lings is the typical number a muta or infestor player will send at your third before lair gets up.


Yeah if you see that you want to get your third down before mutalisks and you should be able to do it quiet safely as well .
When I think of something else, something will go here
Macpo
Profile Joined September 2010
453 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-06-22 07:53:06
June 22 2012 07:34 GMT
#106
Hi again!

I have a couple of questions that I couldn't find answers to in the thread:
- Regarding maps, how do you deal with those maps where infestors cannot go from nat to third without going in the open space beyond the spines. I am thinking here mainly of shakuras. My problem is that i can't have my infestors covering both 2nd and 3rd, supposing that my spines are up the ramp. So what do you do? do you make 2 squadrons of infestors to cover both places? do you make spines on low ground (but then they are very spread out, aren't they?) do you stay on two bases? or do you take another third, like the one close to xel naga towers?

- also, I can't figure out a rule of thumb for ling production. Cause you don't try to make as many zerglings as possible, from what I saw in your commentated replay, do you? so you make "some amount" considered standard depending the stage of the game, and then spam as many as possible when you face some timing push?

Thanks again !
"Courage consists, however, in agreeing to flee rather than live tranquilly and hypocritically in false refuges." G. Deleuze
oOOoOphidian
Profile Joined January 2011
United States1402 Posts
June 22 2012 08:21 GMT
#107
I recommend taking a closer third and having your spine wall cover an area around your natural and third. I personally veto Shakuras and I don't know if it's a good map for this style.
Creator of sc2unmasked.com
blade55555
Profile Blog Joined March 2009
United States17423 Posts
June 22 2012 19:07 GMT
#108
On June 22 2012 16:34 Macpo wrote:
Hi again!

I have a couple of questions that I couldn't find answers to in the thread:
- Regarding maps, how do you deal with those maps where infestors cannot go from nat to third without going in the open space beyond the spines. I am thinking here mainly of shakuras. My problem is that i can't have my infestors covering both 2nd and 3rd, supposing that my spines are up the ramp. So what do you do? do you make 2 squadrons of infestors to cover both places? do you make spines on low ground (but then they are very spread out, aren't they?) do you stay on two bases? or do you take another third, like the one close to xel naga towers?

- also, I can't figure out a rule of thumb for ling production. Cause you don't try to make as many zerglings as possible, from what I saw in your commentated replay, do you? so you make "some amount" considered standard depending the stage of the game, and then spam as many as possible when you face some timing push?

Thanks again !


I haven't played a zvz on shakuras in forever because I have had that map veto'd for a long time xD. But what I would do is just leave 2-3 infestors over at the third and the rest in your natural or have overlords spread creep so that spines cover both third and natural and force an engagement there.

For lings you do need quiet a bit. You want to be doing counter attacks in multiple spots when he moves out. If I am not making drones I am making lings or ultras (or infestors). You will have quiet a few lings but you definitely don't want to max out on them or anything obviously but should have a lot.

Saving money for ultras is something I would only do once the ultra cavern starts, reason being is you do want all the lings and units in general you can get. Most zergs that are doing a roach based strategy should be doing a push before ultras are being started and you will die if you are saving a ton of money for it to only have quiet a few lings but only 5 infestors..
When I think of something else, something will go here
kiklion
Profile Joined April 2011
99 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-06-22 20:23:27
June 22 2012 20:21 GMT
#109
On the topic of taking a third in ZvZ, I take it about when my natural is just about saturated, assuming my opponents is as well. (If they are only half saturated then I assume they have stopped drone production to prepare for an all-in)

The downside to taking the third is that you are 300 minerals behind the other player if they were to be aggressive. With almost 2 saturated bases you can make up that difference in about 15 seconds. Since their army should be (travel time) behind yours, if you can make up that resource difference in that time frame, then your armies should meet at equal strength.

~Edit Trying to find a way to delete the post. Thought it was general zerg topic and not the ling/ultra one. Lings are much more mobile and can take advantage of a 300 mineral difference much faster than roaches. The above is assuming they are going roaches.
General_Winter
Profile Joined February 2011
United States719 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-06-22 23:03:05
June 22 2012 23:02 GMT
#110
Maybe its different at masters, but at gold on the Korean server most zergs open either 6 or 10 pool and the very macroest zergs open 14 gas 14 pool. So using the suggested opening (with hatch first) only ever leads to all ins really early in the game (most of which I die to). How would you open if you had to start with 14 gas 14 pool? And when would you suggest taking the natural from a 14/14 to lead into this build? Thanks very much.
oOOoOphidian
Profile Joined January 2011
United States1402 Posts
June 22 2012 23:51 GMT
#111
On June 23 2012 08:02 General_Winter wrote:
Maybe its different at masters, but at gold on the Korean server most zergs open either 6 or 10 pool and the very macroest zergs open 14 gas 14 pool. So using the suggested opening (with hatch first) only ever leads to all ins really early in the game (most of which I die to). How would you open if you had to start with 14 gas 14 pool? And when would you suggest taking the natural from a 14/14 to lead into this build? Thanks very much.

You can hold anything other than 10p baneling all-in with a hatch first, so I recommend practicing it even if your micro and crisis management aren't good enough yet. You can go 14/14 and play pretty much the same for this build, though, so it's mostly down to what you're comfortable with. I would recommend the standard ~20 hatch off a 14/14 and only make 2-4 lings.
Creator of sc2unmasked.com
Heeroo
Profile Joined April 2011
Germany7 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-06-23 00:09:30
June 23 2012 00:08 GMT
#112
On June 23 2012 08:02 General_Winter wrote:
Maybe its different at masters, but at gold on the Korean server most zergs open either 6 or 10 pool and the very macroest zergs open 14 gas 14 pool. So using the suggested opening (with hatch first) only ever leads to all ins really early in the game (most of which I die to). How would you open if you had to start with 14 gas 14 pool? And when would you suggest taking the natural from a 14/14 to lead into this build? Thanks very much.


I am mid masters eu/us

u can try out 15p/15h/16g almost as economic and safe vs everything with proper micro

gl sir!
VisiO789
Profile Joined January 2012
United States7 Posts
June 24 2012 02:07 GMT
#113
Will definitely try this build to break those boring zerg/baneling all-in match-ups that is zerg metagame thanks alot !~
The successful people in life always give 100 percent all the time!
Clarity_nl
Profile Joined November 2011
Netherlands6826 Posts
June 24 2012 02:32 GMT
#114
I see no reason to ever take your third before your opponent with the exception of mutas, or if he's playing the same style as you.
Since you're getting double upgrades and infestors (both get better with time) you're extremely cost effective.
If I'm on 2 base saturation and my opponent has not taken a third I just throw down spines until he does or he tries to attack me and I hold. When I take my third I transfer half my spines (drop creep with your ovies, don't wait for the hatch) and you're great.

If your opponent has a late third I feel it's always worth it to sack some lings to deny it.
FIGHT THE GOOD FIGHT AGAINST STUPIDITY CLARITY, I BELIEVE IN YOU! - Palmar
blade55555
Profile Blog Joined March 2009
United States17423 Posts
June 24 2012 04:17 GMT
#115
On June 24 2012 11:32 Clarity_nl wrote:
I see no reason to ever take your third before your opponent with the exception of mutas, or if he's playing the same style as you.
Since you're getting double upgrades and infestors (both get better with time) you're extremely cost effective.
If I'm on 2 base saturation and my opponent has not taken a third I just throw down spines until he does or he tries to attack me and I hold. When I take my third I transfer half my spines (drop creep with your ovies, don't wait for the hatch) and you're great.

If your opponent has a late third I feel it's always worth it to sack some lings to deny it.


Well if your opponent goes same style as you, gets a third before you and well you'll get behind in every way. Also the faster you get it up the more time you have to get spines and make sure a roach timing wont' kill you. That would be why to take it before him ^_^
When I think of something else, something will go here
Belial88
Profile Blog Joined November 2010
United States5217 Posts
June 24 2012 04:36 GMT
#116
You know, if you are out set to do this build, and you see an opponent gassing up and has 2 evo chambers (2 evo = infestor, as opposed to muta, which this builds looks like in all ways except the 2 evos) and starts putting down spines, just take your third.

It's like going gold first on metalopolis when you know the opponent is going hatch first on close air - since you are basically doing mirror builds, he can't punish you for it.

Also, a lot of people nydus against this, so I've been patrolling 2-3 lings on each side of my main once I take my third against roach play, since nydus can be so deadly and well I'm a scrub and will likely not spot the nydus (besides, better to be active with your army than have to pull it all back if they do nydus, so still better to patrol 2-3 lings imo).

I've been really, really thinking a lot about this style of play, and how to respond to opponents.

So if they go 2 base muta, you should just take your third immediately right? Since you will have roughly similar lair timings, and just use quick creep from an overlord to set a spore or two down at the third, you should be good? And if they switch into roach/infestor, you just mass spines I guess.

I'm really thinking that a strong 'counter' to this play is just play standard fast third ~45 supply with roaches, and then when you see it's this ling/infestor style with double evo, just dont make many more roaches (still get roach speed), get infestors, maybe double evo too, and get hive quicker than the opponent, while using your roach/ling/infestor army to secure your fourth, and be defensive until ultras pop. You won't need spines, just keep your army at home right. Maybe if I just practice with someone on this...
How to build a $500 i7-3770K Ultimate Computer:http://www.teamliquid.net/blogs/viewblog.php?topic_id=392709 ******** 100% Safe Razorless Delid Method! http://www.overclock.net/t/1376206/how-to-delid-your-ivy-bridge-cpu-with-out-a-razor-blade/0_100
Tribuno
Profile Joined August 2011
Italy261 Posts
June 24 2012 16:21 GMT
#117
i won 4/4 of my ZvZ using this.. its incredible.. i m not at high level, just top diamond but i found really difficoult to make damage for opponent in the mid game when u have lot of spines and infestors.. and the army mass upgraded can destroy pretty everything.. i crushed 2 times roach/hyra, 1 time raoch infestor and 1 time roach, infestor and broodlord (just 4-5 BL but they are so slow compared to ultra/ling/infestor). I love this style, thanks for the guide!
Belial88
Profile Blog Joined November 2010
United States5217 Posts
June 26 2012 08:03 GMT
#118
http://drop.sc/208140

here is a replay doing the anti-build I described
+ Show Spoiler +
I'm really thinking that a strong 'counter' to this play is just play standard fast third ~45 supply with roaches, and then when you see it's this ling/infestor style with double evo, just dont make many more roaches (still get roach speed), get infestors, maybe double evo too, and get hive quicker than the opponent, while using your roach/ling/infestor army to secure your fourth, and be defensive until ultras pop. You won't need spines, just keep your army at home right. Maybe if I just practice with someone on this...


The idea is the same I brought up earlier if you face someone doing the same thing as you - where you see they are going 2 base ling/infestor too, you just 'counter' their spines with taking your third and proceeding with mass upgraded lings as normal.

In the end I lost, and I could have beat him because of a huge lead I got mid-game but I teched too quickly to broodlords (and lost to that mass roach play when I dont have enough infestors with my broods), but focus on the moment when my infestors pop and I'm taking my third.

He didn't even make a roach warren, I'm not sure why, maybe he saw the double evo and knew what was up right away, but focus on that moment. He's getting infestors just a little later than me, and we're basically in the same spot except his third is much, much earlier, and he can go take his fourth with ling/infestor vs my ling/infestor.

The problem with this 2 base ling/infestor play is you can't deny thirds, and you can't deny fourths much either.

The guy also gets a nydus in extreme lategame, but I keep 4 lings patrolling on both sides of my main to counter it - it's better to have 4 lings patrolling then having to bring back your entire army due to it, and in all 3 cases I spot the nydus just fine, but the lings really help out.

He transitions into mass roach after ling/infestor, which is really weird and dumb imo, and I completely crush him with ultra/ling/infestor and kill his 4th and 5th, but I lose the game because I go to broodlords, instead of just getting more ultra/ling/infestor against someone who clearly is way too behind to get broodlords himself. But he should have won in the first place... only reason he almost lost was because of the same reason he won, he went mass roach, but that time I lost most of my ultra/infestor.

I still haven't really seen someone counter this 2 base ling/infestor style properly, but I think I'm going to go back to fast third zvz, and if I see someone going ling/infestor, just do the same thing and beat it.
How to build a $500 i7-3770K Ultimate Computer:http://www.teamliquid.net/blogs/viewblog.php?topic_id=392709 ******** 100% Safe Razorless Delid Method! http://www.overclock.net/t/1376206/how-to-delid-your-ivy-bridge-cpu-with-out-a-razor-blade/0_100
blade55555
Profile Blog Joined March 2009
United States17423 Posts
June 26 2012 14:45 GMT
#119
Well you should get a fast third there is no reason not to. The only time I wouldn't go get a fast third is if my opponent has roach tech and is staying on 2 bases. If he is taking a third, I am going to take my third. There is no way for him to pressure my third as he would lose all his units unless I am caught droning.

I imagine there is a hard counter to this build if you know its coming before the game even started, but I haven't really faced any hard counters yet on ladder . Nydus is a somewhat popular response I have seen lately as well which is something to look out for when doing this build.
When I think of something else, something will go here
hivemind-swe
Profile Joined March 2012
Sweden12 Posts
June 26 2012 16:37 GMT
#120
I am only platinum and have some issues with this. There is a timing when he goes roach infestors and you have ling infestors(I have 2-3 more infestors than him) and are teching to ultras that i can't seem to get past. His infestors just nullifies my lings.

Do you have any good tips on what i am doing wrong?
Prev 1 4 5 6 7 8 17 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 4h 1m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
mouzHeroMarine 623
JuggernautJason81
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 15640
Dewaltoss 112
Bale 11
Dota 2
monkeys_forever248
Heroes of the Storm
Grubby3618
Khaldor1797
Liquid`Hasu829
Other Games
summit1g4660
fl0m1106
Beastyqt682
shahzam432
FrodaN407
byalli239
KnowMe171
ArmadaUGS165
C9.Mang0164
UpATreeSC102
Mew2King63
PPMD4
Organizations
Other Games
BasetradeTV192
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream85
StarCraft 2
angryscii 26
[ Show 13 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• intothetv
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• 80smullet 28
• FirePhoenix6
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Other Games
• imaqtpie871
• WagamamaTV268
• Shiphtur234
Upcoming Events
OSC
4h 1m
Stellar Fest
17h 1m
OSC
1d 2h
CranKy Ducklings
1d 14h
Online Event
1d 15h
FEL
1d 20h
AI Arena Tournament
1d 21h
BSL: Ladder Tournament
1d 23h
Sparkling Tuna Cup
2 days
INu's Battles
2 days
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
[ Show More ]
BSL Open Qualifier
2 days
BSL Open Qualifier
2 days
Replay Cast
3 days
Afreeca Starleague
3 days
Rush vs Light
WardiTV Weekly
3 days
Replay Cast
4 days
Afreeca Starleague
4 days
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
4 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
5 days
The PondCast
6 days
INu's Battles
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-30
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.