• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 19:45
CEST 01:45
KST 08:45
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup3StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)61Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Awesome/Confusing SC2 BM SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup [Old] StarCraft 3 Reportedly in Development
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ]
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
JaeDong's ASL S22 Ro. 8 Review Bot on ladder Data analysis on 8 million games BW General Discussion Fantasy returning?
Tourneys
[Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 9098 users

[D] PvZ Beating Stephano Style Roaches - Page 56

Forum Index > StarCraft 2 Strategy
Post a Reply
Prev 1 54 55 56 57 58 78 Next
Please have some semblance of an idea of what you're talking about.
Decendos
Profile Joined August 2011
Germany1341 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-04-07 21:57:12
April 07 2012 21:55 GMT
#1101
OP should be updatet after IPL4. JYP with SG play and white-ra with robo + blink showed how to deal with this mass roach style.

btw. both include a fast third so anybody mentioning the sentry immo 2 base allin doesnt get the point.
aintthatfunny
Profile Joined April 2012
193 Posts
April 07 2012 22:35 GMT
#1102
Stephano made several huge mistakes vs JYP, I personally really do not think stargate play is the answer.

I didn't see the whitera game though so idk about that.
I promise I'll behave.
Decendos
Profile Joined August 2011
Germany1341 Posts
April 07 2012 22:43 GMT
#1103
i also dont think SG is the way to go.

white-ras style looked really solid though.
NeonFox
Profile Joined January 2011
2373 Posts
April 07 2012 23:07 GMT
#1104
"Won 2-1 against JYP, it's getting harder and harder for me to beat protoss!" from Stephano's twitter, though it might cheer up you guys
Seems like protoss are slowly finding ways to manage that build.
Olli
Profile Blog Joined February 2012
Austria24422 Posts
April 07 2012 23:16 GMT
#1105
Not at all. Did you see Nestea's games vs Tails? He doesn't care about a damn thing, he's maxed at 12:00 and wins. Stephano didn't play that well against JYP and WhiteRa while Nestea did. That just shows you how damn powerful this really is, Nestea's mechanics are top 3 in the world imo. If someone like him plays this style, I don't see any way of holding it.
Administrator"Declaring anything a disaster because aLive popped up out of nowhere is just downright silly."
imareaver3
Profile Joined June 2010
United States906 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-04-07 23:25:09
April 07 2012 23:24 GMT
#1106
On April 08 2012 08:16 DarkLordOlli wrote:
Not at all. Did you see Nestea's games vs Tails? He doesn't care about a damn thing, he's maxed at 12:00 and wins. Stephano didn't play that well against JYP and WhiteRa while Nestea did. That just shows you how damn powerful this really is, Nestea's mechanics are top 3 in the world imo. If someone like him plays this style, I don't see any way of holding it.



Tails has only been in Code A twice, and never made Code S. Nestea won GSL three times. I don't think the results of those games prove anything about whether or not the build is holdable.
MrTortoise
Profile Joined January 2011
1388 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-04-07 23:35:22
April 07 2012 23:27 GMT
#1107
On April 08 2012 08:16 DarkLordOlli wrote:
Not at all. Did you see Nestea's games vs Tails? He doesn't care about a damn thing, he's maxed at 12:00 and wins. Stephano didn't play that well against JYP and WhiteRa while Nestea did. That just shows you how damn powerful this really is, Nestea's mechanics are top 3 in the world imo. If someone like him plays this style, I don't see any way of holding it.


Ok you dont, but why not let someone with the same mechanics see if they can


Everything takes time. There was a time when z expanding before pool was unbeatable, broken and imba.
Now its 3 base (ok some nerfs happened, but still)


This wasn't meant to be a comment on balance, but this game has been blaanced rapidly ... very rapidly.
When you look at how long it took for things to evolve in bw vs the rarity of patches compared to sc2 the pace is frightening.

Maybe im wrong but its the impression i get.


Changes in style in sc2 seem to be patch driven. I am sure if patching slowed down players would discover a lot of intersting resourceful way of dealing with a lot of this stuff by completley sidestepping the problems.

Granted I dont have a clue how. but then i suck.


Although down where i am its very nice to know you can max out by the 12 min mark. Sets a whole new standard for the game. Its easy for a z to do which is probably the real problem wheras the answer probably requires some skill. Its just a shame that protoss now has to deal with a very harsh mirror matchup, the 1-1-1 in tvp and now the 12 min max roaches.

Anyone else think that balancing terran around marines and protoss around ff is getting in the way and making things too fragile? (The z equiv is decent queen control).


People have mentioned map features a few times. I think this is a factor that is *really* important in this kind of situation.

The problem for protoss fundementally is slowing or choking the z attack to be able to manage it over a longer period of time. IE z stays maxed for longer (and is therefor less efficient) while protoss abuses chokes.

A lot of the maps now are essentially bases connected by open space because balancing the maps with terran in mind makes things hard work.

Would it really be terrible to have some maps balanced for specific matchups? IE an amazing zvp map that sucks if a terran is on it? (assumign that this z push really is uncounterable by pure macro, comp choices and scouting)
Olli
Profile Blog Joined February 2012
Austria24422 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-04-07 23:58:45
April 07 2012 23:57 GMT
#1108
On April 08 2012 08:24 imareaver3 wrote:
Show nested quote +
On April 08 2012 08:16 DarkLordOlli wrote:
Not at all. Did you see Nestea's games vs Tails? He doesn't care about a damn thing, he's maxed at 12:00 and wins. Stephano didn't play that well against JYP and WhiteRa while Nestea did. That just shows you how damn powerful this really is, Nestea's mechanics are top 3 in the world imo. If someone like him plays this style, I don't see any way of holding it.



Tails has only been in Code A twice, and never made Code S. Nestea won GSL three times. I don't think the results of those games prove anything about whether or not the build is holdable.


I never said the results meant anything. I said the way Nestea played is important. No matter who his opponent is, no matter what he does. I don't think anything in the world could save a protoss facing this style when somebody like Nestea executes it.
I mean what are you supposed to do? The only player I've ever seen hold this kind of attack + followup aggression was HerO against ZenexLife, but well... you gotta watch that game, it took the best micro I've ever seen in sc2 to hold it.

I'm just gonna throw a few things out there that people have tried.
1) More immortals.
2) Void Rays.
3) Mass Gateway units + tons of cannons

All those are strong but it's really obvious why those are not enough. I think the best way to hold is a lot of immortals + a lot of sentries and cannons whenever you can afford them. On some maps you're just screwed though.
Administrator"Declaring anything a disaster because aLive popped up out of nowhere is just downright silly."
Qyntus Decimus
Profile Joined April 2012
Netherlands9 Posts
April 08 2012 02:05 GMT
#1109
I've had a lot of succes with doing a build from Her0 (http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=287970). Its basically a FFE with a zealot +1 timing push.

Why is that build/style not discussed here? It isn't a 2 base all-in right? I've not lost a game yet using this build however I'm only playing silv-plat zergs so that doesn't count for much. I'm just wondering if this would work on your guys level?
You see banelings are a lot like rape..
Rigorous
Profile Joined August 2011
74 Posts
April 08 2012 02:10 GMT
#1110
I beat the stephano style all the time with a 2 base all in. It's a blink/immo/sentry build that I have posted in my guide...ILikePho's Protoss Hand Book. Try it out...works like a charm. I have a stephanoish style replay posted as well.
monk
Profile Blog Joined May 2009
United States8477 Posts
April 08 2012 02:23 GMT
#1111
On April 08 2012 11:05 Qyntus Decimus wrote:
I've had a lot of succes with doing a build from Her0 (http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=287970). Its basically a FFE with a zealot +1 timing push.

Why is that build/style not discussed here? It isn't a 2 base all-in right? I've not lost a game yet using this build however I'm only playing silv-plat zergs so that doesn't count for much. I'm just wondering if this would work on your guys level?

It's not reliable as all zergs know how to defend it well. If the zerg defends well, you either have to allin or you'll end up behind if you did anything else.

On April 08 2012 11:10 Rigorous wrote:
I beat the stephano style all the time with a 2 base all in. It's a blink/immo/sentry build that I have posted in my guide...ILikePho's Protoss Hand Book. Try it out...works like a charm. I have a stephanoish style replay posted as well.

Don't self-advertise, especially if you aren't familiar with the thread and don't have anything constructive to add.
Moderator
Qyntus Decimus
Profile Joined April 2012
Netherlands9 Posts
April 08 2012 02:38 GMT
#1112
On April 08 2012 11:23 NrGmonk wrote:
It's not reliable as all zergs know how to defend it well. If the zerg defends well, you either have to allin or you'll end up behind if you did anything else.



So soon I will know the pleasure of the immortal-sentry-micro-struggle-to-take-my-third-base-frustration you guys are having now . I will be watching this thread carefully.

You see banelings are a lot like rape..
Rigorous
Profile Joined August 2011
74 Posts
April 08 2012 02:40 GMT
#1113
On April 08 2012 11:23 NrGmonk wrote:
QUOTE]
Don't self-advertise, especially if you aren't familiar with the thread and don't have anything constructive to add.


I'm sorry Monk? I don't really care that you are a blue poster, and I really think you are out of line here... so mod you can temp ban me if you want. I am offering a specific guide and a specific replay that counters the 12 min roach max. How is that not constructive?

User was temp banned for this post.
zJayy962
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
1363 Posts
April 08 2012 02:54 GMT
#1114
On April 08 2012 11:40 Rigorous wrote:
Show nested quote +
On April 08 2012 11:23 NrGmonk wrote:
QUOTE]
Don't self-advertise, especially if you aren't familiar with the thread and don't have anything constructive to add.


I'm sorry Monk? I don't really care that you are a blue poster, and I really think you are out of line here... so mod you can temp ban me if you want. I am offering a specific guide and a specific replay that counters the 12 min roach max. How is that not constructive?


The whole thread is about a long term goal to playing versus the Stephano build. No one has been talking about all-ins because everyone already sees that Stephano rarely ever loses to all ins.
monk
Profile Blog Joined May 2009
United States8477 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-04-08 03:06:15
April 08 2012 03:04 GMT
#1115
On April 08 2012 11:40 Rigorous wrote:
Show nested quote +
On April 08 2012 11:23 NrGmonk wrote:
QUOTE]
Don't self-advertise, especially if you aren't familiar with the thread and don't have anything constructive to add.


I'm sorry Monk? I don't really care that you are a blue poster, and I really think you are out of line here... so mod you can temp ban me if you want. I am offering a specific guide and a specific replay that counters the 12 min roach max. How is that not constructive?

The common immortal allin is allin; it is an allin that zergs currently have trouble with, but it's still an allin. Just because you have a 100% win rate vs "stephano" builds at your level doesn't mean it's the answer or even close to the answer. JYP tried it twice today himself vs Stephano and Stephano held and crushed him both times with roaches. Oz tried it vs Scarlet and Scarlet held with a standard 3 hatch opening into delayed hydra. So thus it's far from a counter.

Even if it were a "counter", a common theme of the thread is how not to rely on coin-flip allins to win games and play protoss with a more consistent style.

Finally, it has been suggested multiple times in this thread, so it's nothing new. Someone even wrote a guide on it before you did.

I appreciate your contribution to the forums, but your previous post was just misplaced in this thread.
Moderator
kcdc
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
United States2311 Posts
April 08 2012 03:07 GMT
#1116
Rigorous, immortal/sentry all-in has been discussed quite a bit in this thread. That's a strong build, but it's not a new idea here. That said, the thread is way too long to expect people to read through it before posting, so people are going to post the same ideas over and over. For example, we get somebody new suggesting double-robo immortal every third page or so. Then the crowd shouts them down pointing out that it gets owned by mutas. Come to think of it, it's been about 3 pages now.....
aZealot
Profile Blog Joined May 2011
New Zealand5447 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-04-08 03:18:10
April 08 2012 03:17 GMT
#1117
You might want to add that to the OP then, no kcdc? The same as you did with the Gateway expand vs FFE edit?

That might keep the recurring Immo/Sentry all-in and Double Robo to 3rd posts down.
KT best KT ~ 2014
Ncage
Profile Joined October 2009
United States91 Posts
April 08 2012 03:22 GMT
#1118
. . .but has anyone suggested double Stargate??? eh?

To actually contribute to the thread @ Qyntus Decimus:
It has been discussed. A lot. The thing is that a +1 zealot timing hits in a window between 7:50 - 8:10 (people are talking about 7:10 zealot pressure are going gate first, which is different than Her0 build you're talking about) The build isn't bad. In fact, I love it. The issue is that Zergs can hold it off very easily now with a max of 60 drones at 8 mins. If you're FFEing at 8 mins you will have around 50 probes if you've been very generous with your CB. The issue isn't the +1 zealot pressure, it's that the common idea of this thread is that you need a 3rd base to be able to economically compete with a 200/200 12 mins zerg and +1 zealot pressue doesn't take a 3rd fast enough.
Rigorous
Profile Joined August 2011
74 Posts
April 08 2012 04:29 GMT
#1119
monk and kcdc,

Thanks for the replys. Just to be clear, my all-in is not just immo/sentry. It's with blink as well and +2 attack / +1 armor that hits at 12-12:30. The standard comp is 6 sentry / 3immo and countless blink stalkers at 12-12:30. Starts with prism harass as well and usually you will get at least 5+ drones plus lost mining time by ff the mineral line. I beat maxed roach armies all the time...it requires good ff and good blink. and you have 8 gates to reinforce which matches the zerg production capability as long as your first engagement goes well.

My build transitions well against muta play, because instead of all-inning, I can take a third because I have blink.

AshenCZ
Profile Joined November 2011
Czech Republic46 Posts
April 08 2012 09:09 GMT
#1120
I think that third at circa 6:30 is the way to go as a counter to fast 3rd from Z opponent. Ofc if you see him taking gases and not expanding to 3rd you probably ought not to try it at all, as 2 base muta or roach ling allin are incoming.

I think people should understand that after this time of playing SC2, there simply won't be a safe strategy to go every game because it will get more and more complex and reaction based. I don't see any point in trying to find a supersafe strategy vs everything, just try to find a strategy that works against Stephano roaches and keeps you relatively safe (like the 6:30 3rd of WhiteRa)

howgh
more gg, more skill
Prev 1 54 55 56 57 58 78 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
The PiG Daily
08:00
Best Games of SC
BASILISK vs T1
Maru vs Clem
Serral vs herO
Clem vs SHIN
PiGStarcraft321
LiquipediaDiscussion
OSC
07:00
Masters Cup #151: Group B
davetesta14
Liquipedia
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
PiGStarcraft321
Nina 96
ViBE78
SpeCial 63
StarCraft: Brood War
White-Ra 168
Noble 79
Hyuk 61
NaDa 41
Bale 14
Dota 2
NeuroSwarm138
League of Legends
Doublelift3993
Counter-Strike
minikerr9
Super Smash Bros
hungrybox384
Heroes of the Storm
Grubby5262
Khaldor628
Other Games
summit1g7764
FrodaN1720
Coldzera 804
shahzam539
JimRising 418
C9.Mang0298
KnowMe212
ArmadaUGS61
Mew2King47
CosmosSc2 15
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick755
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream79
[ Show 12 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Berry_CruncH359
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• masondota21137
Other Games
• imaqtpie763
• Shiphtur161
Upcoming Events
CranKy Ducklings
10h 15m
Online Event
11h 15m
FEL
16h 15m
AI Arena Tournament
17h 15m
BSL: Ladder Tournament
19h 15m
Sparkling Tuna Cup
1d 10h
INu's Battles
1d 12h
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
BSL Open Qualifier
1d 19h
BSL Open Qualifier
1d 19h
Replay Cast
2 days
[ Show More ]
Afreeca Starleague
2 days
Rush vs Light
WardiTV Weekly
2 days
Monday Night Weeklies
2 days
Afreeca Starleague
3 days
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
3 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
4 days
The PondCast
5 days
INu's Battles
5 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-10-01
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
Proleague 2026-10-02
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.