• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 07:52
CEST 13:52
KST 20:52
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon111
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double Recent Patches and the Future Stellar Fest 1 Replay Pack Balance hotfix patch 5.0.16b (July 16)
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) 2026 GSTL Grand Finals SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ] ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
Bot on ladder Where can I find Flash replays that work? a Announcement on the JEDI Ringing Official StarCraft website teases new content ahead of BlizzCon? BW General Discussion
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero Nintendo Switch Thread
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine All you football fans (soccer)! Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
MarineLorD Fan Club The Creator Fan Club The ShoWTimE Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
Violent-Cooperative Play and…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 9780 users

[G] Gnial's PvT Stalker-Void Ray Strategy - Page 9

Forum Index > StarCraft 2 Strategy
Post a Reply
Prev 1 7 8 9 10 11 12 Next All
Homerclese
Profile Joined August 2010
Australia30 Posts
August 31 2010 00:19 GMT
#161
If I scout the 2 Stalker opening, It's easily beatable with a 3 rax MM opening. P have to invest to many resources into Void Rays and I can have around 8 Rauders and 10 Marines before you can get a void ray out.

a 1/1/1 would be the biggest hard counter imo.
When life gives you lemons ... Say F*** the lemons and bail.
Fruscainte
Profile Blog Joined December 2009
4596 Posts
August 31 2010 00:30 GMT
#162
On August 31 2010 09:19 Homerclese wrote:
If I scout the 2 Stalker opening, It's easily beatable with a 3 rax MM opening. P have to invest to many resources into Void Rays and I can have around 8 Rauders and 10 Marines before you can get a void ray out.

a 1/1/1 would be the biggest hard counter imo.


"I can do X to counter your Y!"

Of course there will be counters, there is no unbeatable strat. But this strat is still a fantastic opening.
Gnial
Profile Blog Joined July 2010
Canada907 Posts
August 31 2010 00:40 GMT
#163
On August 31 2010 09:19 Homerclese wrote:
If I scout the 2 Stalker opening, It's easily beatable with a 3 rax MM opening. P have to invest to many resources into Void Rays and I can have around 8 Rauders and 10 Marines before you can get a void ray out.

a 1/1/1 would be the biggest hard counter imo.


Post a replay if you can. I am certain that a void ray can come out before you have that many units, but it would still be useful to see exactly what your protoss opponent did to allow your push to work so well. Heck, if you have a great counter to this build, I'd love to post it in the OP in the replays section.

However, I have had conflicting experiences with your own against the 1-1-1 and 3-rax builds. I think you may just be playing opponents that have made big mistakes, or maybe you just aren't giving your own micro enough credit. My experience against MM 3-rax pushes is it comes down largely to a micro/terrain/composition battle - hopefully with the P having an advantage due to map control, positioning, harassing options, etc.
1, eh? 2, eh? 3, eh?
Homerclese
Profile Joined August 2010
Australia30 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-08-31 01:15:02
August 31 2010 00:57 GMT
#164
It deffinetly is a great strat, no question. Next time I come up against it I'll save the replay and post it.

It was only in Oceania Platinum, so I guess It could have been done better. I've only seen it 2-3 times and all of those times it must have been executed poorly, because the harrassing stalkers couldn't take the 2 maurauders and 2 marines I have out, and I push and either supply block him or take one of his gateways. It's GG after that. *EDIT* It wouldn't have been your exact build either. I can't really remember, but he didn't get to my base until around 5 mins, maybe a bit over, and got blink very early. was on scrap station as well so that didn't help.

Maybe 8 Rauders is a bit much. But Terran would have the upper hand when Protoss is going for Rays if Terran does a 3 rax, 2 tech 1 reactor opening. You'd be suprised how easy it is to Micro rauders with CS.

But as I said, Great strat, reading it has me worried as Terran that's for sure.

When life gives you lemons ... Say F*** the lemons and bail.
Asdkmoga
Profile Joined May 2010
United States496 Posts
August 31 2010 01:03 GMT
#165
gonna have to try it out, sounds kinda similiar to what i do in PvT, with the whole constant pressure thing, except with being in the lower leagues, they cant handle it and i win before i can transition into anything else, but yeah :D.

nice write up. ty.
"Once is happenstance, twice is coincidence, three times is enemy action and over 600 is clearly the work of an ancient Sumerian demon or some shit."
habermas
Profile Joined June 2010
United Kingdom304 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-08-31 05:42:19
August 31 2010 05:41 GMT
#166
Pretty good strategy. I've tried it and I seem to be loosing less terribly now :p
One of my opponents after scouting this placed a bunker on the ramp, a few towers and went for two fast factories and armory. Got about 6 tanks, 2 thors and some marines, was pretty fast gg.
iThaos
Profile Joined May 2010
Australia3 Posts
September 07 2010 11:06 GMT
#167
I dedicate my first post (joined in may this year) to thanking you for this build. Since I used it, I haven't lost to a single terran yet. The biggest problem I've had was probably forgetting to build the 2nd pylon or building it too late.
Lordcamel
Profile Joined August 2010
17 Posts
September 07 2010 15:24 GMT
#168
Thanks a lot , this build helped me alot against terran !

Now that I hit the top 5 plat it starts to get countered .. or maybe it doesn't work that good on big maps but still 75% Wins against T !

Omegaspecter
Profile Joined September 2010
United States2 Posts
September 07 2010 22:43 GMT
#169
Just tired this. Plat level T didn't even scout but.... I walked up his ramp with a probe and both stalkers, killed a waiting reaper started on his tech lab, killed 2 marines, another 2 reapers, tech lab, a supply D, and he quit. I never even left his ramp.
slam
Profile Joined May 2010
United States923 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-09-08 00:06:22
September 07 2010 23:07 GMT
#170
I do a build very similar to this and one thing that REALLY helps out and makes this sooooooo powerful and imo is very important is to bring a probe along with your void ray when it pops out so that you can build a pylon near the bottom of the terrans ramp. With said pylon you can charge up your voidray on your pylon (even as the pylon is building) so that it goes into battle with a full charge right away and just destroys terran. And obviously the pylon will allow you to get instant reinforcements as well. And don't worry about charging up your voidray and damaging your pylon... it'll just recharge its shields lol.

EDIT: And another thing that is great about this build is that it allows for a very easy transition into phoenix which can do wonders picking off ghosts, scouting, and lifting up tanks during large engagements.
I get it.
Jayrod
Profile Joined August 2010
1820 Posts
September 07 2010 23:13 GMT
#171
How many marines can a fully charged VR take out?
slam
Profile Joined May 2010
United States923 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-09-07 23:33:09
September 07 2010 23:22 GMT
#172
I am not sure... i want to say around 5, but...

another very important thing:
Micro your voidray!!!!
Voidrays will keep their charge for about 3 or 4 seconds so do not be afraid to disengage. If he chases your voidray with his marines then your stalkers will be getting a ton of free shots while he is moving and if he does not chase then the marines will target the stalkers (which have 1 armor so marines will be doing significantly less damage) in which case immediately start attacking with your voidray again.

Don't be afraid to micro stalkers either when they are damaged (this means pulling them back so fire is directed at other/more healthy stalkers then instantly attacking again with said stalker). With micro you can win the game with the first push by a landslide a lot of the time.

EDIT: and getting an early sentry while it does delay the voidray slightly will allow you to put up guardian shield which helps soooo much against marines. Marines do six damage, and if they are attacking stalkers then its down to 5 damage, and if you have guardian shield up its down to 3 damage! Thats half of what they normally do.

And also if you mis-micro your voidray and it dies the terran may get eager to do a counter push and with you sentry you can cast forcefield on his ramp as he goes down to split off a few units to pick off with your remaining stalkers.
I get it.
dusters
Profile Joined August 2010
United States57 Posts
September 08 2010 00:25 GMT
#173
I have been using this strategy with some really good success. I like to hide my stargate somewhere on the map near my opponents base, get out 2 stalkers to harass, then a void ray as quickly as possible. As I'm prodding with my stalkers I sent my Void Ray to the back of my opponents base and start attacking SCV's. It makes him choose whether to save his SCV's or his front wall. Oftentime my opponent doesn't even have enough marines to kill my VR and the game ends right there.

Some of the weaknesses are if you notice the Terran player is going Banshee's or a lot of early marines. When that happens you need to adapt and possibly tech switch really quick.
pugowar
Profile Joined January 2010
United States142 Posts
September 08 2010 13:29 GMT
#174
I jsut started using this strategy after getting schooled by marauders so hard it was pissing me off. While some games go better then others (mostly due to my macro skills not being the best) I would liek to share one game where it went very well. It was scrap station, and by the time my probe finally got over to scout he only had his barracks finished and was working on his factory. When I arrived, there was only one marine, he had to pull his SCVS of line to push my stalkers back (he surrounded and killed one of them) then my other two arrived to kill his marauder. He finished his airport just as my voidray arrived, he tried to move it and bring up his workers to repair it and my four stalkers started bombarding his workers. Anyways he was "favored" against me (I am a silver player but ranked 3rd in my division) and I weas able to beat him because of this build so give it a try!

A second game the dude did not make anything but marines so I tech switched and instead of making a starport made colossi. Worked liek a dream but it is the early pressure that really get the terrans. And terran players are so smug they dont even try to wall off because they think they will own me b/c I am a protoss. I wish i could see the look on their face when the two stalkers first arrive!

So thanks for the build!
Gooooooooooo Sparkyz!
FreeZEternal
Profile Joined January 2003
Korea (South)3396 Posts
September 08 2010 13:43 GMT
#175
Instead of arguing X counters Y why don't you guys try it in a game? -.-;;;
puppybash
Profile Joined April 2010
United Kingdom3 Posts
September 08 2010 20:59 GMT
#176
Gnial thanks for your post,it's really helped my game.

I know I've loads of areas I need to improve on but this one I need some guidance:

What factors do you consider when deciding when to transition from vr stalker to the next tech/expand? How do you ensure you will not get demolished by a counter while you are building buildings and not units?
Technotronic
Kwaa
Profile Joined June 2010
Sweden91 Posts
September 08 2010 22:20 GMT
#177
I love it. But I'm alittle conserned with it, simply because I get the feeling that almost every game I play, I get matched vs someone doing the 3 rax rauder push.
MACRO HARD!
iThaos
Profile Joined May 2010
Australia3 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-09-11 03:32:45
September 11 2010 03:32 GMT
#178
Through my experience with this build, you probably get a void ray out ASAP...

edit: On Kulas Ravine. I think I won 1/3 PvT on that map.
whateversclever
Profile Joined November 2009
United States197 Posts
September 11 2010 03:59 GMT
#179
On September 08 2010 08:13 Jayrod wrote:
How many marines can a fully charged VR take out?


It's less how many it can take out, it's more how many are needed to keep it out. Any units kept in base to defend against Void Rays are functionally dead, since they can't do anything else.

The only unit that shoots back that you'd really want to go after in my opinion are Missile Turrets. If you micro right and split the damage on to the shields (just pull back so it targets the other one), 2 Void Rays can take down a Missile Turret with 0 damage to hull. Once full charged, 2 Void Rays can can take out Missile Turrets without taking any hull damage.
DarQraven
Profile Joined January 2010
Netherlands553 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-09-15 16:33:50
September 15 2010 16:29 GMT
#180
edit: nvm. Thought it over and you're pretty much only at 14 food (1 pylon, 1 gateway, 1 assimilator) once you scout there's no wall. Going from that into 4-gate or 2gate is effortless.

Still, something to consider. If there's no wall, this strat fails hard.
Prev 1 7 8 9 10 11 12 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Kung Fu Cup
11:00
2026 Week 25
WardiTV353
Rex76
LiquipediaDiscussion
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
Lowko395
ProTech132
Rex 76
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 31988
Hyuk 1095
Soma 787
Jaedong 708
actioN 583
Horang2 381
Larva 362
Soulkey 335
BeSt 312
Mini 255
[ Show more ]
EffOrt 221
910 215
Stork 212
Light 203
Last 184
Snow 153
ggaemo 102
Pusan 92
Rush 92
ZerO 75
Yoon 59
Killer 50
Mind 48
Creator 40
Mong 38
Shinee 34
hero 31
Sharp 25
Bale 25
Free 23
sorry 22
HiyA 16
yabsab 15
Noble 11
Sacsri 10
Dota 2
Gorgc7508
Dendi345
Counter-Strike
olofmeister1535
markeloff88
kRYSTAL_51
Heroes of the Storm
crisheroes2777
Khaldor976
Other Games
gofns32665
singsing1599
B2W.Neo327
XBOCT295
Pyrionflax262
DeMusliM231
Mew2King88
ZerO(Twitch)7
Organizations
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream154
StarCraft: Brood War
UltimateBattle 49
[ Show 13 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Berry_CruncH318
• StrangeGG 31
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• iopq 10
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
League of Legends
• Jankos1322
Other Games
• WagamamaTV166
Upcoming Events
Stellar Fest
1h 8m
The PondCast
22h 8m
OSC
1d 1h
Stellar Fest
1d 1h
OSC
1d 12h
Stellar Fest
2 days
CranKy Ducklings
2 days
Online Event
2 days
FEL
3 days
AI Arena Tournament
3 days
[ Show More ]
BSL: Ladder Tournament
3 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
3 days
INu's Battles
4 days
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
BSL Open Qualifier
4 days
BSL Open Qualifier
4 days
Replay Cast
4 days
WardiTV Weekly
4 days
Replay Cast
5 days
INu's Battles
5 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-27
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual
Stake Ranked Episode 3

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.