• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 02:30
CEST 08:30
KST 15:30
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon111
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double Recent Patches and the Future Stellar Fest 1 Replay Pack Balance hotfix patch 5.0.16b (July 16)
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) 2026 GSTL Grand Finals SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ] ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
Where can I find Flash replays that work? Bot on ladder a Announcement on the JEDI Ringing Official StarCraft website teases new content ahead of BlizzCon? BW General Discussion
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero Nintendo Switch Thread
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine All you football fans (soccer)! Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
MarineLorD Fan Club The Creator Fan Club The ShoWTimE Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
Violent-Cooperative Play and…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 9459 users

[G] Gnial's PvT Stalker-Void Ray Strategy - Page 10

Forum Index > StarCraft 2 Strategy
Post a Reply
Prev 1 8 9 10 11 12 Next All
Gnial
Profile Blog Joined July 2010
Canada907 Posts
September 15 2010 17:33 GMT
#181
If there is no wall, this strat stays about the same, or gets even better.

A wall is necessary to prevent the stalkers just walking into the T base, and kiting the T units around until they get marauders + concussive.

When the void ray, or any units you warp into the opponents base using a pylon near their cliff, attack the back of their base - they will have to pull back their army, and you can just charge up their ramp with the rest.

White-ra does a void-ray + cliff pyon warp-in + front assault ALL THE TIME. I just watched a few replay packs of his over the last week (~40 games) and he probably does it in 1/2 of his PvT games. That play is stronger if there is no front wall, since you can join your main army with your void ray and warp-in units very quickly, or engage the T army from 2 sides without obstruction.
1, eh? 2, eh? 3, eh?
DarQraven
Profile Joined January 2010
Netherlands553 Posts
September 16 2010 15:20 GMT
#182
Wasn't the point of the Stalker harass to keep them from dying / getting any hull damage, though? In all the replays I've seen, you abused Protoss shield recharge in combination with the Terran wall to keep them from dying.
Assuming Terran does a more agressive opening and doesn't wall, he'll have enough marines/marauders to at least armytrade you. The voids only come quite a while later. If the Stalkers are gone/reduced in numbers by that point I don't see how the VR harass will work too well.

Sort of a moot point though, since I have still to encounter a Terran that doesn't wall :p
For laughs, I'll try it out later today.
Gnial
Profile Blog Joined July 2010
Canada907 Posts
September 16 2010 16:13 GMT
#183
Yeah, when I uploaded the replays I was hoping to make a very specific point about how good the two are together. Just like any build though, you have to be flexible, and white-ra has done a take on the build that seems to provide that flexibility.

I'll upload some replays once my internet gets installed at my new place this weekend, since his style is very effective. Essentially, he only makes 1 stalker, and then makes a whole bunch of zealots, and uses the extra gas to tech to void ray faster, uses cliff pylons to warp into the enemy base, and then get templars or colossi more quickly.

And rather than poking up the ramp with just stalkers, he pokes up with 1 zealot and 1 stalker usually, since he can make those units quickly with just 1 gateway, allowing him to get his second assimilator sooner and, ultimately, get his void ray out sooner.
1, eh? 2, eh? 3, eh?
Newtybar
Profile Joined August 2010
United States19 Posts
September 16 2010 16:41 GMT
#184
On September 17 2010 00:20 DarQraven wrote:
Wasn't the point of the Stalker harass to keep them from dying / getting any hull damage, though? In all the replays I've seen, you abused Protoss shield recharge in combination with the Terran wall to keep them from dying.
Assuming Terran does a more agressive opening and doesn't wall, he'll have enough marines/marauders to at least armytrade you. The voids only come quite a while later. If the Stalkers are gone/reduced in numbers by that point I don't see how the VR harass will work too well.

Sort of a moot point though, since I have still to encounter a Terran that doesn't wall :p
For laughs, I'll try it out later today.


If this was the case, wouldn't the appropriate Terran counter be to just lower his depots and charge out of the base at you into open ground?

I also believe that the Stalkers can still kite the marines around (even kill a few) before shields are gone and retreat with their superior speed until it recharges again. By then they will be pissed off and go for mass marauders = GG because at that time your void ray shows up =].

That's what happened on my non-wall game anyway....disclaimer: user experiences may vary.
Walk to Your Own Beat
ScienceRob
Profile Joined April 2010
United States382 Posts
September 16 2010 21:31 GMT
#185
My standard opening TvP is Hellion drop into bio drops. I make a quick bunker and supply depot at the front, effectively stopping the stalkers from getting in. Then when I drop my hellions to harrass the probe line I see the tech and am able to quickly get a vikings. Even if I don't see it, My bunker+scvs can hold the front while 5 marines fend off the VR until the viking pops out.

Quite simple this build is not a scary build in my opinion.
Carpe Diem
TheThinkingGamer
Profile Joined August 2010
United States48 Posts
September 16 2010 22:05 GMT
#186
Excellent post bud! I will defiantly be trying this in the future, I even took notes
Danglars
Profile Blog Joined August 2010
United States12133 Posts
September 16 2010 22:42 GMT
#187
You want to force mistakes from Terran? Dead buildings, dead marines, dead base? Open with this.

Replay showing rage: http://rapidshare.com/files/418927510/Steppes_of_War_-_PvT_rage.SC2Replay.html (Yeah Marauders are Fat, even misplaced FF can trap them.

http://rapidshare.com/files/416505228/Delta_Quadrant_-_PvT_Gn__keep_poking_baby.SC2Replay.html
This build is really only limited by your ability to micro the stalkers and later voids. My void micro isn't solid but neither is my opponent's decision-making.

The followups are just as effective. Contain while expand with forcefields zealots and stalkers (By Zealots I mean Cannon Fodder for Stalkers). Void ray harass for longer duration into a chargelot/HT army. Hit the back with void rays while front still gets stalkered.
Great armies come from happy zealots, and happy zealots come from California!
TL+ Member
K Love
Profile Joined August 2010
Australia45 Posts
September 16 2010 22:52 GMT
#188
Hey, its Hat from one of your videos

I actually found this strategy to be very weak against a composition that a high level friend of mine was using, mass marines and tanks. He was able to push the void rays off easily with stim then eventually seige up around my ramp and push up it with the marines. Turrets were up at his main base by then.

I still do the stalker opening pretty much every game but as soon as I get 4 out, I throw down a second gas and get up a twilight council immediately for charge. This lets me hold off virtually any mid-game push and easily transitions into an expansion with HTs or DTs. Its just a little more versatile, the void ray thing is nice but it gets countered too hard.
Kangaroo Love
Gnial
Profile Blog Joined July 2010
Canada907 Posts
September 17 2010 02:39 GMT
#189
On September 17 2010 07:52 K Love wrote:
Hey, its Hat from one of your videos

I actually found this strategy to be very weak against a composition that a high level friend of mine was using, mass marines and tanks. He was able to push the void rays off easily with stim then eventually seige up around my ramp and push up it with the marines. Turrets were up at his main base by then.

I still do the stalker opening pretty much every game but as soon as I get 4 out, I throw down a second gas and get up a twilight council immediately for charge. This lets me hold off virtually any mid-game push and easily transitions into an expansion with HTs or DTs. Its just a little more versatile, the void ray thing is nice but it gets countered too hard.


Yeah, marine-tank is quite strong. If you decide to commit to void ray after seeing all the marines, it definitely requires some intense void-ray harass and poking around, to at least hold some of their marines back and let you transition into something a little better.

1, eh? 2, eh? 3, eh?
Proto_Protoss
Profile Joined September 2010
United States495 Posts
September 17 2010 03:54 GMT
#190
Actually im really happy you posted this i did a very similar but much more crude version in my earlier days and it worked fine your version seems more refined and way more effective
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in getting up everytime we do." - Confucius
jarude
Profile Joined September 2010
Canada1 Post
September 17 2010 15:32 GMT
#191
Hahaha... hey GNIAL!! I remember playing drunken cs with ya back in residence... guess who man. Lol.

Good to see this kind of strat, I definitely have the most trouble with terran and subsequent marauder abuse. Will try it out asap
Jayrod
Profile Joined August 2010
1820 Posts
September 17 2010 16:45 GMT
#192
@Gnial are you still opening like this versus Terrans or have you switched over to the KCDC expand? I am just curious, I like both builds personally, KCDC's feels safer to me, but stargate tech is always fun. Ive seen a ton of recent phoenix openers from top players, but I've had mixed success, mainly because im not a top player lol
Gnial
Profile Blog Joined July 2010
Canada907 Posts
September 17 2010 21:28 GMT
#193
On September 18 2010 00:32 jarude wrote:
Hahaha... hey GNIAL!! I remember playing drunken cs with ya back in residence... guess who man. Lol.

Good to see this kind of strat, I definitely have the most trouble with terran and subsequent marauder abuse. Will try it out asap


ROFL ROFL. Yo!!!

We will have to game some time soon

By the way, I was really confused for a sec since the fellow who posted after you is also named J-rod (with a slight spelling variation).

On September 18 2010 01:45 Jayrod wrote:
@Gnial are you still opening like this versus Terrans or have you switched over to the KCDC expand? I am just curious, I like both builds personally, KCDC's feels safer to me, but stargate tech is always fun. Ive seen a ton of recent phoenix openers from top players, but I've had mixed success, mainly because im not a top player lol


I kept running into people countering me without scouting me because they recognized me, so I started experimenting with phoenix play with some success.

However, I haven't been able to play for like, 3 weeks since I've been so busy...I've finally had time in the last week, but I haven't had internet at home...once it gets put in on Sunday I plan on experimenting a lot with robo-facility openings, fast obs, into whatever best destroys my T opponent

I will always keep this build in my back pocket though, and will probably keep using it on maps like Desert Oasis, and close-air positions on metalopolis and lost temple.
1, eh? 2, eh? 3, eh?
Gradius
Profile Blog Joined May 2009
United States112 Posts
September 18 2010 03:07 GMT
#194
This is a great build! I've been doing Void Ray play for a while now but the Stalker harass seems alot better than what I used to do - just play defensively.

I'm having trouble with execution though. Can you guys help me out/offer a few tips:
http://www.sc2replayed.com/replays/82701-1v1-terran-protoss-xelnaga-caverns
http://www.sc2replayed.com/replays/82699-1v1-terran-protoss-lost-temple

Thanks in advance!
StarCraft: Subjection: http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=410514
ckw
Profile Blog Joined February 2010
United States1018 Posts
September 18 2010 04:14 GMT
#195
Omg no!!!!! Why did you post this?!?! This strategy is very good, I have such a hard time with it as Zerg.
Being weak is a choice.
Gnial
Profile Blog Joined July 2010
Canada907 Posts
September 18 2010 04:23 GMT
#196
On September 18 2010 13:14 ckw wrote:
Omg no!!!!! Why did you post this?!?! This strategy is very good, I have such a hard time with it as Zerg.


Lol, I think you are thinking of Antimage's PvZ build. This is primarily for PvT. I can't imagine early stalker harass being very good vs Z - what with the hard counter being...zerglings.
1, eh? 2, eh? 3, eh?
Gnial
Profile Blog Joined July 2010
Canada907 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-09-18 04:55:35
September 18 2010 04:52 GMT
#197
On September 18 2010 12:07 Gradius wrote:
This is a great build! I've been doing Void Ray play for a while now but the Stalker harass seems alot better than what I used to do - just play defensively.

I'm having trouble with execution though. Can you guys help me out/offer a few tips:
http://www.sc2replayed.com/replays/82701-1v1-terran-protoss-xelnaga-caverns
http://www.sc2replayed.com/replays/82699-1v1-terran-protoss-lost-temple

Thanks in advance!


Hey, I have different comments for both replays!

The Xel'Naga replay your fundamentals of the strategy were solid. During your stalker harass you got ahead, and later during your void ray harass you were WAAAAAAY ahead. I was watching like, "how could he possibly lose this, he has a lot more workers, an expansion, map control, his opponent can't leave his base", etc. You held him to his base for like, 12 or 14 minutes. But several things stopped you from leaping way ahead of your opponent, and it all comes down to one thing: MACRO!

During your stalker harass you stopped making probes and didn't get a stargate, and just accumulated resources. You could have improved your economy and your tech. Likewise, when you void ray harassed and you expanded, your nexuses sat there not making probes for several minutes. Not only that, but you didn't tech. You just void ray harassed and contained with a fixed number of units and accumulated resources. You had about 3/5ths of the number of probes you wanted to saturate your main and natural. You could have had thousands more resources if you had kept making probes. However, that wouldn't have even mattered since you had 1600 minerals and 600 gas when your opponent reached your base with his final push. You could have had an army large enough to obliterate his, even though you had handicapped yourself by significantly delaying your economy and tech, if you had tried to keep your resources down by building units and buildings. Your micro was great: you probably shouldn't have attacked the ramp when you had 2 bases to his 1, and you had a solid contain. You should have sat back and macro'd and tech'd up. But that miniscule decision pales in comparison to your lack of macro. Remember to macro! You even had your nexuses hotkey'd: make probes! And the "W" key lets you select your warp gates...build units!!! And you had probes hotkey'd too...make unit producing structures and tech!!!

For the lost temple replay, I don't know what exactly was happening there. You did a 3 stalker poke after the 6 minute mark, and didn't support your void rays with stalkers. If you aren't going to attack really, really quickly with those stalkers, don't open with the quick 2-gate opening. Keep making units for gods sake! (MACRO!!!!) And make sure that when you slow tech, or cut probes, to do something like a 2-gate opening, that you make sure you do it for a specific reason: namely, get that quick harass on.

So, you don't make unit producing or tech buildings even when you have the resources; you don't make units when you have the resources; and you don't make probes when you are busy elsewhere. You were slow to put probes on gas, etc etc... so all I have to say is be diligent about your macro. I thought you were situated to win the Xel'Naga game because of your huge economic advantage, and situated to win the lost temple game since you had void rays while he had only a couple of marines...but you didn't follow it up with good enough macro. Keep playing, it'll come to ya

1, eh? 2, eh? 3, eh?
Eka
Profile Joined September 2010
Sweden71 Posts
September 20 2010 08:16 GMT
#198
As mid-high gold this strat is very effective. Although after training my macro with zerg Ive mostly used the void rays, as you would harass with mutas, from the back while my zeal / stalker army hits the front. Trying to hurt his eco more than his army. Works pretty nice, some players straight up leave when they see the void rays comming out, other have tried to base-race. Power to the rays! :-)
kar1181
Profile Joined May 2010
United Kingdom515 Posts
September 20 2010 09:09 GMT
#199
I've been using this build a lot (i was doing a variant of it myself until I came across this thread and went ah-hah). It works really well, even in diamond. The main issues are bunkers (or them simply not walling off or long rush distances.

But even in the latter two cases if they bunker up you can just poke and harass long enough to get an expo up. Usually if the terran is competent, I find them expanding while I do, and putting up a starport to get some vikings.

Another terran variant is they decide to stay on one base get 3-4 vikings and push out with a big mm blob. If you don't scout it you're susceptible to a pretty nasty timing attack before you can get extra gates pumping following your expansion.

This build is far from a panacea but it's a great weapon to have in your arsenal to put some pressure on terrans and to take the initiative. Something that is quite hard in this mu from the 5-10 minute window.
AnalDrilling
Profile Joined September 2010
United States7 Posts
September 20 2010 15:25 GMT
#200
I'm gonna try this when I get home from work. Thanks for the great guide.
Prev 1 8 9 10 11 12 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 4h 30m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
Nina 145
-ZergGirl 79
StarCraft: Brood War
Rain 1637
Hyuk 254
910 73
Yoon 46
Bale 33
ZergMaN 20
NotJumperer 18
yabsab 16
Icarus 11
League of Legends
JimRising 611
Reynor54
Super Smash Bros
hungrybox576
Mew2King68
Heroes of the Storm
Khaldor256
Other Games
summit1g7470
WinterStarcraft412
C9.Mang0260
PiGStarcraft236
Sick212
Livibee164
ArmadaUGS47
Happy1
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick627
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream222
[ Show 10 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• lizZardDota2353
League of Legends
• Stunt538
Upcoming Events
Kung Fu Cup
4h 30m
Stellar Fest
6h 30m
The PondCast
1d 3h
OSC
1d 6h
Stellar Fest
1d 6h
OSC
1d 17h
Stellar Fest
2 days
CranKy Ducklings
3 days
Online Event
3 days
FEL
3 days
[ Show More ]
AI Arena Tournament
3 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
3 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
4 days
INu's Battles
4 days
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
BSL Open Qualifier
4 days
BSL Open Qualifier
4 days
Replay Cast
4 days
WardiTV Weekly
5 days
Replay Cast
5 days
INu's Battles
6 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-27
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual
Stake Ranked Episode 3

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.