• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 02:30
CEST 08:30
KST 15:30
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon111
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double Recent Patches and the Future Stellar Fest 1 Replay Pack Balance hotfix patch 5.0.16b (July 16)
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) 2026 GSTL Grand Finals SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ] ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
Where can I find Flash replays that work? Bot on ladder a Announcement on the JEDI Ringing Official StarCraft website teases new content ahead of BlizzCon? BW General Discussion
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero Nintendo Switch Thread
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine All you football fans (soccer)! Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
MarineLorD Fan Club The Creator Fan Club The ShoWTimE Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
Violent-Cooperative Play and…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 9459 users

[G] Gnial's PvT Stalker-Void Ray Strategy - Page 11

Forum Index > StarCraft 2 Strategy
Post a Reply
Prev 1 9 10 11 12 Next All
insta111
Profile Blog Joined August 2010
United States80 Posts
October 03 2010 23:55 GMT
#201
This build almost hard counters reaper openings, as far as I can tell. The fact that they've sacrificed a marine or so getting a reaper means that you can pretty much automatically crush their defense of about 1 marauder or 2 marines when you walk up their ramp.
kcdc
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
United States2311 Posts
October 04 2010 03:38 GMT
#202
On September 18 2010 06:28 Gnial wrote:
I kept running into people countering me without scouting me because they recognized me, so I started experimenting with phoenix play with some success.


Yep. I get the same thing, although it's less of a big deal with the 1 gate FE. The stalker-void ray will be very strong against some openings and weaker against others whereas the FE doesn't have an obvious counter. I've found that some Terran players will recognize my name and blindly put down a bunker at my nat to salvage at the last second....and that's annoying. On the other hand, a lot of Terran players will assume I'm FEing and assume they can FE for free, and since my opening essentially involves a delayed 4-gate, I can just roll their undefended expo.
SizzFlair
Profile Joined September 2010
18 Posts
October 04 2010 15:19 GMT
#203
Very intersting. As a terran player, I haven't encountered this yet (fairly low ~1000 Dimond) but very curious on how I would do against this since I typically do 1/1/1 build with marine/helion only until I get my banshees/3rax out.

Let me know if anyone want to practice against Terran. PM me your info.
Gnial
Profile Blog Joined July 2010
Canada907 Posts
October 05 2010 00:44 GMT
#204
On October 04 2010 12:38 kcdc wrote:
Show nested quote +
On September 18 2010 06:28 Gnial wrote:
I kept running into people countering me without scouting me because they recognized me, so I started experimenting with phoenix play with some success.


Yep. I get the same thing, although it's less of a big deal with the 1 gate FE. The stalker-void ray will be very strong against some openings and weaker against others whereas the FE doesn't have an obvious counter. I've found that some Terran players will recognize my name and blindly put down a bunker at my nat to salvage at the last second....and that's annoying. On the other hand, a lot of Terran players will assume I'm FEing and assume they can FE for free, and since my opening essentially involves a delayed 4-gate, I can just roll their undefended expo.


Yeah, because it is very strong against some builds and weak against others, I don't commit until I see what they're doing (or at least get a feel for what they might go). My general game strat now is to do a gate-core opening, and then upon scouting I decide whether to go fast expand, void ray, blink stalkers, 4-gate, or whatever else. Fortunately, all of those builds open with gateway-cyber so it gives me a good amount of time to locate and analyze my opponent.
1, eh? 2, eh? 3, eh?
Gnial
Profile Blog Joined July 2010
Canada907 Posts
October 13 2010 08:43 GMT
#205
I know I said I was going to do it a while ago, but I didn't get around to it until today. I edited the OP with a new part in the Replays section called, Special Replays: White-Ra.

Enjoy!

1, eh? 2, eh? 3, eh?
depthcharge101
Profile Joined October 2010
5 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-10-15 08:10:00
October 15 2010 06:57 GMT
#206
Did anyone try this against 'Very Hard' AI? Cuz they have like 4-5 marines when your dual stalkers reach their base and there's basically zero harassment that you can do.

Working on the strat on the AI a few times, it made me realize this strat probably doesn't work against certain terran openings:
-If they don't wall off at ramp. Yur voidray would not have anything to charge.
-If they go with 2rax pumping marines non-stop. Basically when your 2 stalkers reach their base, they'd have easily 4-5 marines.

I am hoping that I'm missing something here, cuz I seriously can't figure out how to do any harassing with this kind of opening style.
Shadrak
Profile Joined August 2010
United States490 Posts
October 15 2010 15:40 GMT
#207
On October 15 2010 15:57 depthcharge101 wrote:
Did anyone try this against 'Very Hard' AI? Cuz they have like 4-5 marines when your dual stalkers reach their base and there's basically zero harassment that you can do.

Working on the strat on the AI a few times, it made me realize this strat probably doesn't work against certain terran openings:
-If they don't wall off at ramp. Yur voidray would not have anything to charge.
-If they go with 2rax pumping marines non-stop. Basically when your 2 stalkers reach their base, they'd have easily 4-5 marines.

I am hoping that I'm missing something here, cuz I seriously can't figure out how to do any harassing with this kind of opening style.


I've been practicing against Very Hard AI w/ this opening in order to learn how to deal with a real T that opens this marine heavy. I will say that it IS doable, but not easy. I might even call it very hard

The key is to micro your stalkers extremely well. You can get them to chase you down the ramp and then take pot shots, pulling your hurt stalkers to the back while you get a void ray to eventually send to their mineral line. You won't win outright against them but you can do serious damage to their eco and win later.

While I've never faced a real oponent that opened quite like the VH AI does, I found it was great training on microing in general.
MegaPerle
Profile Joined October 2010
France53 Posts
October 21 2010 22:49 GMT
#208
Hello!

I'm trying this build now. Is it that good since 1.1.2 patch came out?
I managed to get some win in custom games against players at the same level as mine (i'm curently in platinum league), but I find it hard to do, even in favorable situations. That's probably because I'm a micro noob. At least, practising this build might improve my micro a bit.
Gnial
Profile Blog Joined July 2010
Canada907 Posts
October 22 2010 20:45 GMT
#209
On October 22 2010 07:49 MegaPerle wrote:
Hello!

I'm trying this build now. Is it that good since 1.1.2 patch came out?
I managed to get some win in custom games against players at the same level as mine (i'm curently in platinum league), but I find it hard to do, even in favorable situations. That's probably because I'm a micro noob. At least, practising this build might improve my micro a bit.


I cannot attest to this build based on personal experience since 1.1.2 came out - I just haven't had time to get a good laddering session going.

That said, stalker-void ray has been used successfully at least once in the GSL since 1.1.2 was released. I would take that as a much more powerful statement that this build still works - although it may be a bit trickier to pull off than before.
1, eh? 2, eh? 3, eh?
Raislin
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
United States144 Posts
October 23 2010 08:02 GMT
#210
On October 23 2010 05:45 Gnial wrote:
Show nested quote +
On October 22 2010 07:49 MegaPerle wrote:
Hello!

I'm trying this build now. Is it that good since 1.1.2 patch came out?
I managed to get some win in custom games against players at the same level as mine (i'm curently in platinum league), but I find it hard to do, even in favorable situations. That's probably because I'm a micro noob. At least, practising this build might improve my micro a bit.


I cannot attest to this build based on personal experience since 1.1.2 came out - I just haven't had time to get a good laddering session going.

That said, stalker-void ray has been used successfully at least once in the GSL since 1.1.2 was released. I would take that as a much more powerful statement that this build still works - although it may be a bit trickier to pull off than before.


To be honest, I'd assume that you usually don't get the Void Ray to fully charge during your harassment unless the Terran player just simply can't stop you, in which case you've probably already won. With that in mind, I imagine the Void Ray harassment would be even more effective, since it'll kill things faster when uncharged than it used to.

I've been considering designing a build like this (in fact, I recently tried one without the Stalker harass, skewing my opponent's army toward lots of Marines, which are quite easy to deal with). Since it's already designed, I can just work on practicing it instead.
KilROCK
Profile Joined September 2010
Romania10 Posts
October 23 2010 09:20 GMT
#211
On October 23 2010 17:02 Raislin wrote:
Show nested quote +
On October 23 2010 05:45 Gnial wrote:
On October 22 2010 07:49 MegaPerle wrote:
Hello!

I'm trying this build now. Is it that good since 1.1.2 patch came out?
I managed to get some win in custom games against players at the same level as mine (i'm curently in platinum league), but I find it hard to do, even in favorable situations. That's probably because I'm a micro noob. At least, practising this build might improve my micro a bit.


I cannot attest to this build based on personal experience since 1.1.2 came out - I just haven't had time to get a good laddering session going.

That said, stalker-void ray has been used successfully at least once in the GSL since 1.1.2 was released. I would take that as a much more powerful statement that this build still works - although it may be a bit trickier to pull off than before.


To be honest, I'd assume that you usually don't get the Void Ray to fully charge during your harassment unless the Terran player just simply can't stop you, in which case you've probably already won. With that in mind, I imagine the Void Ray harassment would be even more effective, since it'll kill things faster when uncharged than it used to.

I've been considering designing a build like this (in fact, I recently tried one without the Stalker harass, skewing my opponent's army toward lots of Marines, which are quite easy to deal with). Since it's already designed, I can just work on practicing it instead.



Well let us know how it works since i r very curious :-s
Just move with the flow
Raislin
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
United States144 Posts
October 23 2010 09:41 GMT
#212
On October 23 2010 18:20 KilROCK wrote:
Show nested quote +
On October 23 2010 17:02 Raislin wrote:
On October 23 2010 05:45 Gnial wrote:
On October 22 2010 07:49 MegaPerle wrote:
Hello!

I'm trying this build now. Is it that good since 1.1.2 patch came out?
I managed to get some win in custom games against players at the same level as mine (i'm curently in platinum league), but I find it hard to do, even in favorable situations. That's probably because I'm a micro noob. At least, practising this build might improve my micro a bit.


I cannot attest to this build based on personal experience since 1.1.2 came out - I just haven't had time to get a good laddering session going.

That said, stalker-void ray has been used successfully at least once in the GSL since 1.1.2 was released. I would take that as a much more powerful statement that this build still works - although it may be a bit trickier to pull off than before.


To be honest, I'd assume that you usually don't get the Void Ray to fully charge during your harassment unless the Terran player just simply can't stop you, in which case you've probably already won. With that in mind, I imagine the Void Ray harassment would be even more effective, since it'll kill things faster when uncharged than it used to.

I've been considering designing a build like this (in fact, I recently tried one without the Stalker harass, skewing my opponent's army toward lots of Marines, which are quite easy to deal with). Since it's already designed, I can just work on practicing it instead.



Well let us know how it works since i r very curious :-s


Haha, will do. I have a number of builds I'm practicing as Protoss, a couple of which I haven't yet perfected. I will most certainly keep this thread informed of my success/failure unless someone else does it first.
MegaPerle
Profile Joined October 2010
France53 Posts
October 23 2010 12:40 GMT
#213
On October 23 2010 05:45 Gnial wrote:
Show nested quote +
On October 22 2010 07:49 MegaPerle wrote:
Hello!

I'm trying this build now. Is it that good since 1.1.2 patch came out?
I managed to get some win in custom games against players at the same level as mine (i'm curently in platinum league), but I find it hard to do, even in favorable situations. That's probably because I'm a micro noob. At least, practising this build might improve my micro a bit.


I cannot attest to this build based on personal experience since 1.1.2 came out - I just haven't had time to get a good laddering session going.

That said, stalker-void ray has been used successfully at least once in the GSL since 1.1.2 was released. I would take that as a much more powerful statement that this build still works - although it may be a bit trickier to pull off than before.


Yes, I heard it has been used in the GSL, but didn't see the replay yet. I'll continue to train this build, I already see improvement in my micro skills.

I'm starting to get better at this build. I think one of the keys here is to be ready to transition to something else at the right time.
Gnial
Profile Blog Joined July 2010
Canada907 Posts
October 24 2010 02:57 GMT
#214
On October 23 2010 17:02 Raislin wrote:
Show nested quote +
On October 23 2010 05:45 Gnial wrote:
On October 22 2010 07:49 MegaPerle wrote:
Hello!

I'm trying this build now. Is it that good since 1.1.2 patch came out?
I managed to get some win in custom games against players at the same level as mine (i'm curently in platinum league), but I find it hard to do, even in favorable situations. That's probably because I'm a micro noob. At least, practising this build might improve my micro a bit.


I cannot attest to this build based on personal experience since 1.1.2 came out - I just haven't had time to get a good laddering session going.

That said, stalker-void ray has been used successfully at least once in the GSL since 1.1.2 was released. I would take that as a much more powerful statement that this build still works - although it may be a bit trickier to pull off than before.


To be honest, I'd assume that you usually don't get the Void Ray to fully charge during your harassment unless the Terran player just simply can't stop you, in which case you've probably already won. With that in mind, I imagine the Void Ray harassment would be even more effective, since it'll kill things faster when uncharged than it used to.

I've been considering designing a build like this (in fact, I recently tried one without the Stalker harass, skewing my opponent's army toward lots of Marines, which are quite easy to deal with). Since it's already designed, I can just work on practicing it instead.


Actually, a pretty standard strategy is to build a pylon near the enemy base which you use to warp units in, and to charge your void ray on the pylon before you attack. To that end, the build is worse than before.
1, eh? 2, eh? 3, eh?
Raislin
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
United States144 Posts
October 24 2010 17:19 GMT
#215
If that's the case, then yeah, it can't be anything but worse. That's such a shame. I'm not sure one could make any real changes to improve it, either, as it's a pretty expensive build.
MegaPerle
Profile Joined October 2010
France53 Posts
October 24 2010 20:08 GMT
#216
Well there are very very few cases where it's better.
not charging and go strait to the combat might be better than before because of the timing. As delaying rax/depot building, the few seconds earned in the timing the first VR attacks may do the difference. and if it works well, it will be charged at about the same moment.
Erik.TheRed
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
United States1655 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-11-09 16:44:44
November 09 2010 16:41 GMT
#217
A Terran friend of mine was talking about a variation of this build that is all-in and revolves around a 3-4 warpgate timing push with about 2-3 void rays. The VRs are used to break through the terran wall (not quite as effective post-patch, but is still possible), while a large gorund army is amassed. If the terran is going for a FE or tech build, it should be pretty easy to force T to split up his army, and you can even bring one VR to the back of his base during the chaos to kill SCVs/force turrets/further split his army. I have yet to try this myself, but in theory it sounds like a very powerful timing push if executed properly.
"See you space cowboy"
.kv
Profile Blog Joined August 2010
United States2332 Posts
November 09 2010 17:45 GMT
#218
i'll definitely give this a shot when i can...thanks
Gnial
Profile Blog Joined July 2010
Canada907 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-12-08 02:37:19
December 08 2010 02:18 GMT
#219
SPOILER FROM GSL 3 RO8:

+ Show Spoiler +
If anyone wants to see this build done perfectly, check out game 1 between oGsMC against marinekingprime.we. Fast stalker into void ray into zealot into stalker, against the best marine-terran in the world (arguably).

http://www.gomtv.net/2010gslopens3/vod/1451

edit. he did it perfectly as in not how I have it written, haha, but the far superior version I saw white-ra do a few months ago - replays are in there somewhere.
1, eh? 2, eh? 3, eh?
hunter3
Profile Blog Joined January 2008
United States155 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-12-16 06:30:21
December 16 2010 06:00 GMT
#220
Question... Does anyone know how to do the void ray moving shot? The void ray is moving but still firing/charging the entire time, without stopping. When activated it works like phoenix-move. I do it maybe 25% of the time while chasing stuff.

Edit: Nvm I just found out. Simply point the void ray in right direction. It'll only do the moving shot when it's directly in line with the target.
Prev 1 9 10 11 12 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 4h 30m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
Nina 145
-ZergGirl 79
StarCraft: Brood War
Rain 1637
Hyuk 254
910 73
Yoon 46
Bale 33
ZergMaN 20
NotJumperer 18
yabsab 16
Icarus 11
League of Legends
JimRising 611
Reynor54
Super Smash Bros
hungrybox576
Mew2King68
Heroes of the Storm
Khaldor256
Other Games
summit1g7470
WinterStarcraft412
C9.Mang0260
PiGStarcraft236
Sick212
Livibee164
ArmadaUGS47
Happy1
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick627
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream222
[ Show 10 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• lizZardDota2353
League of Legends
• Stunt538
Upcoming Events
Kung Fu Cup
4h 30m
Stellar Fest
6h 30m
The PondCast
1d 3h
OSC
1d 6h
Stellar Fest
1d 6h
OSC
1d 17h
Stellar Fest
2 days
CranKy Ducklings
3 days
Online Event
3 days
FEL
3 days
[ Show More ]
AI Arena Tournament
3 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
3 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
4 days
INu's Battles
4 days
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
BSL Open Qualifier
4 days
BSL Open Qualifier
4 days
Replay Cast
4 days
WardiTV Weekly
5 days
Replay Cast
5 days
INu's Battles
6 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-27
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual
Stake Ranked Episode 3

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.