• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 05:41
CEST 11:41
KST 18:41
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)55Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double
Tourneys
Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) 2026 GSTL Grand Finals SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ] ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
Fantasy returning? Bot on ladder BW General Discussion ASL22 General Discussion a Announcement on the JEDI Ringing
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
General RTS Discussion Thread Nintendo Switch Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Canadian Politics Mega-thread US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 8383 users

GSL: Who Should be in Code S? - Page 16

Forum Index > News
348 CommentsPost a Reply
Prev 1 14 15 16 17 18 Next All
sooohawt
Profile Joined January 2012
United States22 Posts
February 28 2012 05:28 GMT
#301
I'd like to see Stephano in the GSL just to get people to stfu about how good he is. He plays the same bad players over and over and wins. YAYYYYYY.

"Well, he beat Puma pretty handily at Assembly"

lol, Assembly.

Those mentioned that deserve this: Violet. Polt. Obviously MKP, but he's going to make it in Code S anyway. I'm a huge Naniwa fan. He is incredibly talented and I would like to see how well he could perform.

HuK: With his only decent result in a long time being a particularly underwhelming run to third place, maybe except for his win against OZ, in a coinflip matchup, I doubt very much that we could see him impress.

IdrA: Maybe. Very maybe.

Demuslim: No.

Stephano: Would like to see him get curb stomped. But his presence at GSL would bring a decidedly larger audience than the other players mentioned, so, there's that.
Leifish
Profile Joined July 2011
851 Posts
February 28 2012 05:49 GMT
#302
On February 28 2012 14:28 sooohawt wrote:
I'd like to see Stephano in the GSL just to get people to stfu about how good he is. He plays the same bad players over and over and wins. YAYYYYYY.

"Well, he beat Puma pretty handily at Assembly"

lol, Assembly.

Those mentioned that deserve this: Violet. Polt. Obviously MKP, but he's going to make it in Code S anyway. I'm a huge Naniwa fan. He is incredibly talented and I would like to see how well he could perform.

HuK: With his only decent result in a long time being a particularly underwhelming run to third place, maybe except for his win against OZ, in a coinflip matchup, I doubt very much that we could see him impress.

IdrA: Maybe. Very maybe.

Demuslim: No.

Stephano: Would like to see him get curb stomped. But his presence at GSL would bring a decidedly larger audience than the other players mentioned, so, there's that.


Can't tell if you like Stephano or not.
negativedge
Profile Joined December 2011
4279 Posts
February 28 2012 05:49 GMT
#303
So Stephano isn't worthy of a spot because for some reason wins at Assembly don't count, even against good players, while idra is "very maybe" even though he literally hasn't won a match in 2012 and was just 0-6 stomped from S to B?
sooohawt
Profile Joined January 2012
United States22 Posts
February 28 2012 06:02 GMT
#304
I guess IdrA is a no then, I think by very maybe I meant in the future, so probably not this season. I would love to see Stephano in the GSL for two reasons, to get roflstomped, and because he would bring a pretty decent following of Europeans that are oddly myopic and think he is the best player in the world. But, no, I don't think he "deserves" it by any means. Out of the people in the OP, I think the only players that "deserve" a Code S spot are Violet and Polt.
r0nd0d
Profile Joined March 2011
United States10 Posts
February 28 2012 06:58 GMT
#305
Perhaps Sen and IdrA could have done better in different groups, on a different day, but as the results stand, it was a blemish on the GSL's reputation as the most prestigious, difficult league in the world. Some kind of move back to a more meritocratic system is inevitable.


What.

The fact that some of the best non-koreans couldn't do dick in the GSL proves that GSL is the most difficult.
negativedge
Profile Joined December 2011
4279 Posts
February 28 2012 08:06 GMT
#306
I believe his point is that a league that hands out free passes to people that are undeserving is in some way undermining its own competitiveness--not that the league actually lacks extreme competition, but that it has taken some kind of a hit by foregoing some measure of that competition in general.
Diegopyc
Profile Joined April 2011
Belgium26 Posts
February 28 2012 08:59 GMT
#307
I want to see Stephano too. He is the only one who would make me buy a season ticket for GSL.
I don't believe there is any other single foreigner able to challenge seriously the Koreans
SolidMustard
Profile Joined May 2011
France1515 Posts
February 28 2012 09:01 GMT
#308
On February 28 2012 14:28 sooohawt wrote:
I'd like to see Stephano in the GSL just to get people to stfu about how good he is. He plays the same bad players over and over and wins. YAYYYYYY.

"Well, he beat Puma pretty handily at Assembly"

lol, Assembly.

Those mentioned that deserve this: Violet. Polt. Obviously MKP, but he's going to make it in Code S anyway. I'm a huge Naniwa fan. He is incredibly talented and I would like to see how well he could perform.


Ok, so Stephano is no match for GSL players, but Naniwa would do great? I'm wondering which of the two is currently 1-11 in his GSL record, lmfao
sooohawt
Profile Joined January 2012
United States22 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-02-28 09:14:01
February 28 2012 09:11 GMT
#309
On February 28 2012 18:01 SolidMustard wrote:
Show nested quote +
On February 28 2012 14:28 sooohawt wrote:
I'd like to see Stephano in the GSL just to get people to stfu about how good he is. He plays the same bad players over and over and wins. YAYYYYYY.

"Well, he beat Puma pretty handily at Assembly"

lol, Assembly.

Those mentioned that deserve this: Violet. Polt. Obviously MKP, but he's going to make it in Code S anyway. I'm a huge Naniwa fan. He is incredibly talented and I would like to see how well he could perform.


Ok, so Stephano is no match for GSL players, but Naniwa would do great? I'm wondering which of the two is currently 1-11 in his GSL record, lmfao



Errrrr, Idk if I said he would do great, I said he is incredibly talented and am interested in seeing HOW well he could do. Reading comprehension is a useful skill, cultivate it, and when you finally take your SAT, maybe you will score higher than 100 that section and can avoid attending your nearest community college.

EDIT: Oh, you're French lol. Difficult to talk sense into enraged fanboys.
LastLordofCastamere
Profile Joined February 2011
288 Posts
February 28 2012 09:17 GMT
#310
I don't like Codes S (Code A seeds are more reasonable) seeds at all, but if anyone deserves it it's Poltimus.
"And who are you", the proud lord said "That I must bow so low?"
Benjamin80
Profile Joined February 2012
581 Posts
February 28 2012 09:47 GMT
#311
On February 28 2012 18:11 sooohawt wrote:
Show nested quote +
On February 28 2012 18:01 SolidMustard wrote:
On February 28 2012 14:28 sooohawt wrote:
I'd like to see Stephano in the GSL just to get people to stfu about how good he is. He plays the same bad players over and over and wins. YAYYYYYY.

"Well, he beat Puma pretty handily at Assembly"

lol, Assembly.

Those mentioned that deserve this: Violet. Polt. Obviously MKP, but he's going to make it in Code S anyway. I'm a huge Naniwa fan. He is incredibly talented and I would like to see how well he could perform.


Ok, so Stephano is no match for GSL players, but Naniwa would do great? I'm wondering which of the two is currently 1-11 in his GSL record, lmfao



Errrrr, Idk if I said he would do great, I said he is incredibly talented and am interested in seeing HOW well he could do. Reading comprehension is a useful skill, cultivate it, and when you finally take your SAT, maybe you will score higher than 100 that section and can avoid attending your nearest community college.

EDIT: Oh, you're French lol. Difficult to talk sense into enraged fanboys.


I just had some make an account when I saw you 3 last post.

You are so incredible rude my jaw allmost dropped

Just to make a point since i was doing a comparision between Stephano and lucky from assemply. If you go and analyse the replays you can see a huge difference between the 2.

Not just in styles but overall mechanics. And its not like Lucky is a bad player he played code S this season beat idra very and qualified to code S last season. So he is a very high lvl zerg.

However if you compare him to Stephano is like night and day.

Stephano never gets supplied blocked he is also much much faster then lucky. APM, multitasking etc his decision making.

Watch the games Lucky puma, Stephano puma and polt, stephano.

Stephano and polt played one of the most fantastic final I ever seen so many amasing small details. Like using his infestor egss to locate where polts tanks was etc.

And if you compare the final to the 3rd place final it was huge you could really see a skill difference.

Just a small point. And if Stephano can make lucky a Code S/Coda A zerg look like average then ofcourse stephano would do well in GSL if Lucky could get to code s you dont think Stephano would?

After watching and analyse his relay from assemply vs polt and puma btw his worst matchup Im convinced he would be veyr high in code S. Im not saying he is the world best not at all. Stephano still needs to work on his ZvT he is sometimes way to agressive.

And another point

First of all you say he plays the same bad players over and over again?

Well have you looked at his opponent the last 4-5 months? His opposition has been as tough as any other pro player.

plus his domination over the foreign scene is quite insane he wins everything basically with a price in. And considering some of these foreigners Stephano dominates beat alot of top koreans at MLG just say something about how solid Stephano is.

Sc2 is very volatile but stephano proves it again and again and there is a reason why he is one the highest price earning players in the world.






[QUOTE][B]On March 19 2012 02:32 iNcontroL wrote:[/B] IF LIFE GIVES YOU LEMONS YOU CANNON RUSH[/QUOTE]
sooohawt
Profile Joined January 2012
United States22 Posts
February 28 2012 09:56 GMT
#312
On February 28 2012 18:47 Benjamin80 wrote:
Show nested quote +
On February 28 2012 18:11 sooohawt wrote:
On February 28 2012 18:01 SolidMustard wrote:
On February 28 2012 14:28 sooohawt wrote:
I'd like to see Stephano in the GSL just to get people to stfu about how good he is. He plays the same bad players over and over and wins. YAYYYYYY.

"Well, he beat Puma pretty handily at Assembly"

lol, Assembly.

Those mentioned that deserve this: Violet. Polt. Obviously MKP, but he's going to make it in Code S anyway. I'm a huge Naniwa fan. He is incredibly talented and I would like to see how well he could perform.


Ok, so Stephano is no match for GSL players, but Naniwa would do great? I'm wondering which of the two is currently 1-11 in his GSL record, lmfao



Errrrr, Idk if I said he would do great, I said he is incredibly talented and am interested in seeing HOW well he could do. Reading comprehension is a useful skill, cultivate it, and when you finally take your SAT, maybe you will score higher than 100 that section and can avoid attending your nearest community college.

EDIT: Oh, you're French lol. Difficult to talk sense into enraged fanboys.


I just had some make an account when I saw you 3 last post.

You are so incredible rude my jaw allmost dropped

Just to make a point since i was doing a comparision between Stephano and lucky from assemply. If you go and analyse the replays you can see a huge difference between the 2.

Not just in styles but overall mechanics. And its not like Lucky is a bad player he played code S this season beat idra very and qualified to code S last season. So he is a very high lvl zerg.

However if you compare him to Stephano is like night and day.

Stephano never gets supplied blocked he is also much much faster then lucky. APM, multitasking etc his decision making.

Watch the games Lucky puma, Stephano puma and polt, stephano.

Stephano and polt played one of the most fantastic final I ever seen so many amasing small details. Like using his infestor egss to locate where polts tanks was etc.

And if you compare the final to the 3rd place final it was huge you could really see a skill difference.

Just a small point. And if Stephano can make lucky a Code S/Coda A zerg look like average then ofcourse stephano would do well in GSL if Lucky could get to code s you dont think Stephano would?

After watching and analyse his relay from assemply vs polt and puma btw his worst matchup Im convinced he would be veyr high in code S. Im not saying he is the world best not at all. Stephano still needs to work on his ZvT he is sometimes way to agressive.

And another point

First of all you say he plays the same bad players over and over again?

Well have you looked at his opponent the last 4-5 months? His opposition has been as tough as any other pro player.

plus his domination over the foreign scene is quite insane he wins everything basically with a price in. And considering some of these foreigners Stephano dominates beat alot of top koreans at MLG just say something about how solid Stephano is.

Sc2 is very volatile but stephano proves it again and again and there is a reason why he is one the highest price earning players in the world.








tl;dr.

just to actually start being rude.
kirdie
Profile Blog Joined December 2010
Germany221 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-02-28 10:01:37
February 28 2012 10:01 GMT
#313
I would really like to have the known foreigners like Stephano and Idra in Code S because
- foreigners vs koreans -> more tension/competition
- great caster duo there (would be more fair to give them Code A spots but the casting isn't great there)
- see how well they do, even if they lose I don't mind
- clash of different styles
ZjiublingZ
Profile Joined September 2011
United Arab Emirates439 Posts
February 28 2012 10:35 GMT
#314
@OP

I'm not sure why you emphasize HuK's run through the Winter Arena, but completely ignore Naniwas run through the Winter Arena, which was just as successful (Both losing to DRG and MKP) and clearly more difficult. I feel like you just looked at the rank they finished in and that was that...
sooohawt
Profile Joined January 2012
United States22 Posts
February 28 2012 10:49 GMT
#315
On February 28 2012 19:35 ZjiublingZ wrote:
@OP

I'm not sure why you emphasize HuK's run through the Winter Arena, but completely ignore Naniwas run through the Winter Arena, which was just as successful (Both losing to DRG and MKP) and clearly more difficult. I feel like you just looked at the rank they finished in and that was that...


It's funny, if the two switched places, HuK would have been eliminated in his first two matches (v MKP, then v Sheth), while Naniwa would have been third place.

HuK's only notable win was against OZ, a phenomenal player, in a coinflip match up.
Thurken
Profile Joined September 2011
961 Posts
February 28 2012 10:52 GMT
#316
I think that Ret and Huk are the best choice.

Both are foreigners and could therefore broaden the audience.
Both are willing to go to korea to attend code S if i'm not mistaken and have proven that they can perform in korea.
Both can take some bo3 to the best players, and more consistently than most foreigners.
Both have a good fanbase.
Neither of them were invited last season.
Neither of them have had issue with GomTv in past events.

Unfortunatly I still think that code S is too hard for them.
Sangyerians
Profile Blog Joined April 2011
Australia248 Posts
February 28 2012 11:33 GMT
#317
They should be in Code S but they aren't. There's a reason.
http://www.justin.tv/sangyerians
Vindicare605
Profile Blog Joined August 2011
United States16126 Posts
February 28 2012 11:38 GMT
#318
On February 28 2012 19:52 Thurken wrote:
I think that Ret and Huk are the best choice.

Both are foreigners and could therefore broaden the audience.
Both are willing to go to korea to attend code S if i'm not mistaken and have proven that they can perform in korea.
Both can take some bo3 to the best players, and more consistently than most foreigners.
Both have a good fanbase.
Neither of them were invited last season.
Neither of them have had issue with GomTv in past events.

Unfortunatly I still think that code S is too hard for them.


Huk's original Code S placement was through a seed. That was a while ago, but he was an invite not a qualifier.
aka: KTVindicare the Geeky Bartender
Ponchey
Profile Joined August 2011
Sweden89 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-02-28 11:41:21
February 28 2012 11:39 GMT
#319
The thing is that with the new 2 month seasons, accepting a GSL invite means you are commiting to stay in Korea for 2 months, right? At the moment I don't think a whole lot of foreigners would do that. Naniwa, Huk, Jinro and SaSe have all claimed (or seems) to be ready to stay for "as long as it takes".

Personally I really want it to be Naniwa. Yes, I'm Swedish and obviously biased, but I think GOM would be hard pressed to find another foreigner:

...with higher change of performing well.
...that would bring more attention and viewers to GSL.
...that is willing to stay the entire season (and following seasons).

Apparently a lot of korean fans, players and coaches see Naniwa as the devil, which might make it hard for GOM to give him a seed. But if the seeds were purely based on skill and honor, Koreans should get both of the code S invites. And I just can't imagine GOM running a Code S without a single foreigner, if they have the opportunity to invite one. (Which is probably why they changed the seed rules into a more arbitrary one anyway) There's just too much viewer/sponsorship money involved.
careohx
Profile Joined June 2011
263 Posts
February 28 2012 12:08 GMT
#320
HuK wouldnt even have made top 8 at MLG. He got a ridiculusly easy bracket and havent faced a korean till top 8 and then it was a PvP. Thats as lucky as you can possible get. Then he got totally destroyed by both MKP and DRG wasnt even close.
I must say that Naniwa beating Nestea and Leenock or demuslim beating nestea was way more impressive than his run.
Prev 1 14 15 16 17 18 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 3h 20m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 2354
firebathero 2222
Bisu 614
Hyuk 408
BeSt 124
Larva 96
EffOrt 91
Killer 91
Sexy 90
Leta 89
[ Show more ]
Soma 84
Dewaltoss 81
ZerO 63
ToSsGirL 54
Light 45
soO 39
Yoon 35
Sharp 34
Aegong 29
Bale 22
Sacsri 19
Shinee 18
NaDa 15
sorry 15
Rush 14
Hm[arnc] 13
JulyZerg 12
Terrorterran 2
Dota 2
Fuzer 142
Counter-Strike
shoxiejesuss1131
byalli815
kRYSTAL_24
Heroes of the Storm
Khaldor962
crisheroes541
Other Games
gofns32083
singsing1534
olofmeister1016
ceh9662
Mew2King87
ArmadaUGS55
ZerO(Twitch)13
Organizations
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream168
[ Show 11 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• FirePhoenix8
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• lizZardDota2346
League of Legends
• Stunt463
Upcoming Events
Stellar Fest
3h 20m
OSC
12h 20m
CranKy Ducklings
1d
Online Event
1d 1h
FEL
1d 6h
AI Arena Tournament
1d 7h
BSL: Ladder Tournament
1d 9h
Sparkling Tuna Cup
2 days
INu's Battles
2 days
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
BSL Open Qualifier
2 days
[ Show More ]
BSL Open Qualifier
2 days
Replay Cast
2 days
Afreeca Starleague
3 days
Rush vs Light
WardiTV Weekly
3 days
Replay Cast
3 days
Afreeca Starleague
4 days
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
4 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
4 days
The PondCast
6 days
INu's Battles
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-30
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.