• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 18:18
CEST 00:18
KST 07:18
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)52Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1
StarCraft 2
General
SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double
Tourneys
Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) 2026 GSTL Grand Finals SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ] ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
Bot on ladder Fantasy returning? BW General Discussion ASL22 General Discussion a Announcement on the JEDI Ringing
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread All you football fans (soccer)!
Fan Clubs
MarineLorD Fan Club The Creator Fan Club The ShoWTimE Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 9664 users

TL Mafia Behavior - Page 12

Forum Index > TL Mafia
Post a Reply
Prev 1 10 11 12 13 14 Next All
geript
Profile Joined February 2013
10024 Posts
December 19 2013 07:49 GMT
#221
On December 19 2013 15:32 VisceraEyes wrote:
The sacrifices you make for the good of the community. I stand in awe, sir. I AM AWE-STRICKEN!!!

Stop feeding the troll VE. As a side note, I finally realized why I instantly liked you when I first heard you. Your voice reminds me of one of my favorite authors, David Rackoff.
Mr. Wiggles
Profile Blog Joined August 2010
Canada5894 Posts
December 19 2013 09:36 GMT
#222
I guess I'm a little late to the party. I haven't played much recently since I've been pretty busy, but still check in on the forum every now and again.

I feel that there's a few things I'd like to chime in on quickly.

Firstly, I think that people should realize the difference between attacking someone's arguments and attacking the player. I don't see a problem with attacking someone's case or their behaviour when calling them scum, e.g. "Your case is terrible because of x, y, and z", but I do feel there is a problem when this turns into attacking the player instead, and people write things like, "You're fucking retarded, because of x, y, and z". There's a clear separation between attacking the content of someone's posts, versus attacking the poster themselves. I feel that keeping this distinction in mind would also help curb the escalation of flame wars, since it's easier to take a personal insult to heart than someone insulting your argument.

Secondly, I think that people can play aggressively without needing to be overly insulting to other players. It might be a difference in how you define playing "aggressively", but I don't see why aggressively pushing someone, calling them out, or tearing apart their cases needs to go hand in hand with calling them names or trying to actively make them feel crappy. I'm not saying that's what people imply when they say they like to be aggressive, but I think there's better ways to get a reaction out of someone than by doing something that would get you banned on the rest of TL.

Lastly, I don't think I'd want to see WotC implemented in every game. In my experience here, there's been a few over time players that people in general didn't like playing with for some length of time, and the reasons for this have ranged from not liking their play style, to thinking they were unskilled, to thinking they actively try to ruin games. In some of these cases, I felt the dislike was unwarranted, and using WotC might have kept some players from joining games. In general, I just don't feel like it's a consistent way to improve games, since in some cases a player's behaviour that causes them to be removed from the game might be something they actually need to address, but in other cases, it might just be a behaviour that goes against what people expect or what the meta is, or that is somewhat unpopular, and so that player might be unfairly discriminated against.

That's about all I have to say for now, I might have forgotten something I wanted to talk about when I was reading the thread. I just went through the whole thing in one go, so I might come back and add something here later.
you gotta dance
Holyflare
Profile Blog Joined November 2010
United Kingdom30775 Posts
December 19 2013 11:52 GMT
#223
On December 19 2013 18:36 Mr. Wiggles wrote:
I guess I'm a little late to the party. I haven't played much recently since I've been pretty busy, but still check in on the forum every now and again.

I feel that there's a few things I'd like to chime in on quickly.

Firstly, I think that people should realize the difference between attacking someone's arguments and attacking the player. I don't see a problem with attacking someone's case or their behaviour when calling them scum, e.g. "Your case is terrible because of x, y, and z", but I do feel there is a problem when this turns into attacking the player instead, and people write things like, "You're fucking retarded, because of x, y, and z". There's a clear separation between attacking the content of someone's posts, versus attacking the poster themselves. I feel that keeping this distinction in mind would also help curb the escalation of flame wars, since it's easier to take a personal insult to heart than someone insulting your argument.

Secondly, I think that people can play aggressively without needing to be overly insulting to other players. It might be a difference in how you define playing "aggressively", but I don't see why aggressively pushing someone, calling them out, or tearing apart their cases needs to go hand in hand with calling them names or trying to actively make them feel crappy. I'm not saying that's what people imply when they say they like to be aggressive, but I think there's better ways to get a reaction out of someone than by doing something that would get you banned on the rest of TL.

Lastly, I don't think I'd want to see WotC implemented in every game. In my experience here, there's been a few over time players that people in general didn't like playing with for some length of time, and the reasons for this have ranged from not liking their play style, to thinking they were unskilled, to thinking they actively try to ruin games. In some of these cases, I felt the dislike was unwarranted, and using WotC might have kept some players from joining games. In general, I just don't feel like it's a consistent way to improve games, since in some cases a player's behaviour that causes them to be removed from the game might be something they actually need to address, but in other cases, it might just be a behaviour that goes against what people expect or what the meta is, or that is somewhat unpopular, and so that player might be unfairly discriminated against.

That's about all I have to say for now, I might have forgotten something I wanted to talk about when I was reading the thread. I just went through the whole thing in one go, so I might come back and add something here later.


So what do you think about my modified WotC?
VisceraEyes
Profile Blog Joined October 2010
United States21171 Posts
December 19 2013 17:12 GMT
#224
I would have been Wisdomed out of several games here on TL. I would have deserved it too O.O
if I had to describe his playstyle, it'd be a coked up rabbit with the attention of a goldfish injecting caffeine into himself directly through an IV drip. it's like a reel of random animated shorts where things just blow up randomly
marvellosity
Profile Joined January 2011
United Kingdom36161 Posts
December 19 2013 17:16 GMT
#225
I always PM you to come play with me, but then at the same time I PM hosts not to let you in :/
[15:15] <Palmar> and yes marv, you're a total hottie
VisceraEyes
Profile Blog Joined October 2010
United States21171 Posts
December 19 2013 17:21 GMT
#226
On December 20 2013 02:16 marvellosity wrote:
I always PM you to come play with me, but then at the same time I PM hosts not to let you in :/

:OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
if I had to describe his playstyle, it'd be a coked up rabbit with the attention of a goldfish injecting caffeine into himself directly through an IV drip. it's like a reel of random animated shorts where things just blow up randomly
Kurumi
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
Poland6130 Posts
December 19 2013 17:22 GMT
#227
On December 20 2013 02:12 VisceraEyes wrote:
I would have been Wisdomed out of several games here on TL. I would have deserved it too O.O

Makes no sense to me. Besides you being a paranoid dodo sometimes and making decisions in a blood rush *coughs* Veteran Zombie *coughs*.
It is just the way you are. Sure, you can and you did tone it down, but it wasn't because you got wotc'ed. People need to want to change, keeping them out of the game doesn't do much.
I work alone. // Visit TL Mafia subforum!
Holyflare
Profile Blog Joined November 2010
United Kingdom30775 Posts
December 19 2013 17:46 GMT
#228
It's as if i posted a solution to what everyone is saying but then nobody reads it T_T
Blazinghand *
Profile Blog Joined December 2010
United States25562 Posts
December 19 2013 17:48 GMT
#229
On December 20 2013 02:46 Holyflare wrote:
It's as if i posted a solution to what everyone is saying but then nobody reads it T_T


All this stuff is treating symptoms, imo, the real solution is to do movie nights together and play video games together
When you stare into the iCCup, the iCCup stares back.
TL+ Member
marvellosity
Profile Joined January 2011
United Kingdom36161 Posts
December 19 2013 17:49 GMT
#230
On December 20 2013 02:46 Holyflare wrote:
It's as if i posted a solution to what everyone is saying but then nobody reads it T_T

tldr sweetcheeks
[15:15] <Palmar> and yes marv, you're a total hottie
Holyflare
Profile Blog Joined November 2010
United Kingdom30775 Posts
December 19 2013 18:07 GMT
#231
Movie nights and playing together aren't going to stop people lurking and being bad
Blazinghand *
Profile Blog Joined December 2010
United States25562 Posts
December 19 2013 18:11 GMT
#232
On December 20 2013 03:07 Holyflare wrote:
Movie nights and playing together aren't going to stop people lurking and being bad


Yeah and they're not gonna stop malaria either but my goal isn't to stop malaria.

More clearly: I don't care (too much) if people are low skilled, and if people lurk we can just policy them or whatever. We're not considering bringing in TL Moderation because people are unskilled or because people lurk-- we're considering it due to bad behavior. My solution directly tackles the underlying problem.
When you stare into the iCCup, the iCCup stares back.
TL+ Member
Holyflare
Profile Blog Joined November 2010
United Kingdom30775 Posts
December 19 2013 18:14 GMT
#233
On December 20 2013 02:49 marvellosity wrote:
Show nested quote +
On December 20 2013 02:46 Holyflare wrote:
It's as if i posted a solution to what everyone is saying but then nobody reads it T_T

tldr sweetcheeks



WotC where people need to write reasons why they want someone out of the game to the host via pm and if someone get's the required amount of votes to be out of the game the host tells the player that he needs to improve if he wants to play in that game by doing x,y,z (the things players dislike the player for) if he fails to do that then it is discussed in post game and a harsher punishment than normal can be distributed.

Obviously no silly or trivial things can be taken as reasoning and that's only for behavioural things really, there's a whole lot of other things for lurkers etc etc stop being lazy and read my post!!! (((( Click? (((((

Holyflare
Profile Blog Joined November 2010
United Kingdom30775 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-12-19 18:18:01
December 19 2013 18:16 GMT
#234
On December 20 2013 03:11 Blazinghand wrote:
Show nested quote +
On December 20 2013 03:07 Holyflare wrote:
Movie nights and playing together aren't going to stop people lurking and being bad


Yeah and they're not gonna stop malaria either but my goal isn't to stop malaria.

More clearly: I don't care (too much) if people are low skilled, and if people lurk we can just policy them or whatever. We're not considering bringing in TL Moderation because people are unskilled or because people lurk-- we're considering it due to bad behavior. My solution directly tackles the underlying problem.


Half of the games I've played in aren't ruined by behavioural problems but instead by lurkers and shitty anti town attitudes (not aggressive to people just not playing the game) - being bad at the game was a joke i don't mind that. Playing with people isn't going to make those problems disappear but yes it will get rid of most attitude problems i'm not disagreeing.

and don't tell me about policy lynching because no matter how many times you mention it in a game more often than not nobody accepts it.... policy lynching is also getting rid of a player that has already /in'd to a game and -'s a player from a potential town pool thus weakening the playerbase before the game has even really started, this way it eliminates that pre-game rather than in game.
Blazinghand *
Profile Blog Joined December 2010
United States25562 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-12-19 18:30:19
December 19 2013 18:29 GMT
#235
On December 20 2013 03:16 Holyflare wrote:
Show nested quote +
On December 20 2013 03:11 Blazinghand wrote:
On December 20 2013 03:07 Holyflare wrote:
Movie nights and playing together aren't going to stop people lurking and being bad


Yeah and they're not gonna stop malaria either but my goal isn't to stop malaria.

More clearly: I don't care (too much) if people are low skilled, and if people lurk we can just policy them or whatever. We're not considering bringing in TL Moderation because people are unskilled or because people lurk-- we're considering it due to bad behavior. My solution directly tackles the underlying problem.


Half of the games I've played in aren't ruined by behavioural problems but instead by lurkers and shitty anti town attitudes (not aggressive to people just not playing the game) - being bad at the game was a joke i don't mind that. Playing with people isn't going to make those problems disappear but yes it will get rid of most attitude problems i'm not disagreeing.

and don't tell me about policy lynching because no matter how many times you mention it in a game more often than not nobody accepts it.... policy lynching is also getting rid of a player that has already /in'd to a game and -'s a player from a potential town pool thus weakening the playerbase before the game has even really started, this way it eliminates that pre-game rather than in game.


Though I disagree with your conclusions, I think that what you've said is a reasonable point to make, and if you believe the thing that "ruins" games is people not playing the game by choice or by chance, rather than people being mean and flaming and violating TL rules, I see why you'd think that way. Maybe this is just me, but aside from one game in which Marv decided that lynching me was more important than winning, for the most part the only thing I've run into that's a problem is people getting out of line from time to time. I do understand that in the past few months things have really amped up on the flaming though.

I guess when it comes down to it, part of it is making sure the games are fun and welcoming, and that new users don't get scared off by the flaming. I think this is more important, more urgent, and more easily fixable than things about "playing to your win con" or whatever. When it comes down to it, if we're friends outside of the Mafia games, we WILL try to have fun together. The urgent thing, the thing that matters, is dealing with the anger issues we have developed.

And I think doing that is pretty easy.

E: regarding policy lynches, you can say what you want but I love policy lynching, rng lynching, etc. This is my favorite thing to do and I have gotten it done more than once
When you stare into the iCCup, the iCCup stares back.
TL+ Member
marvellosity
Profile Joined January 2011
United Kingdom36161 Posts
December 19 2013 18:43 GMT
#236
if you hadn't been doctor. curses.
[15:15] <Palmar> and yes marv, you're a total hottie
Blazinghand *
Profile Blog Joined December 2010
United States25562 Posts
December 19 2013 18:47 GMT
#237
On December 20 2013 03:43 marvellosity wrote:
if you hadn't been doctor. curses.


i'll get you next time! *yarrrrr*
When you stare into the iCCup, the iCCup stares back.
TL+ Member
bumatlarge
Profile Blog Joined October 2007
United States4567 Posts
December 19 2013 18:59 GMT
#238
omg, we still haven't lynched someone yet? this town is terrible!
Together but separate, like oatmeal
Holyflare
Profile Blog Joined November 2010
United Kingdom30775 Posts
December 19 2013 19:06 GMT
#239
On December 20 2013 03:43 marvellosity wrote:
if you hadn't been doctor. curses.


dat 6 hour before lynch claim tho
Blazinghand *
Profile Blog Joined December 2010
United States25562 Posts
December 19 2013 19:08 GMT
#240
On December 20 2013 04:06 Holyflare wrote:
Show nested quote +
On December 20 2013 03:43 marvellosity wrote:
if you hadn't been doctor. curses.


dat 6 hour before lynch claim tho


the secret to my claiming is I claim at a time it makes no sense to claim and provides me no benefit, that way people know it's true
When you stare into the iCCup, the iCCup stares back.
TL+ Member
Prev 1 10 11 12 13 14 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 1h 42m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
Nathanias 117
SpeCial 75
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 12228
Artosis 323
Bale 12
League of Legends
Doublelift3374
JimRising 486
Super Smash Bros
hungrybox279
Heroes of the Storm
Grubby5287
Khaldor1117
Liquid`Hasu749
Other Games
summit1g7285
shahzam511
FrodaN145
ArmadaUGS77
NeuroSwarm69
Mew2King62
JuggernautJason49
ViBE41
PPMD8
Organizations
Other Games
BasetradeTV217
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream61
[ Show 15 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• musti20045 35
• davetesta1
• intothetv
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• HerbMon 22
• blackmanpl 14
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Other Games
• imaqtpie850
• Scarra426
• Shiphtur208
Upcoming Events
OSC
1h 42m
Stellar Fest
14h 42m
OSC
23h 42m
CranKy Ducklings
1d 11h
Online Event
1d 12h
FEL
1d 17h
AI Arena Tournament
1d 18h
BSL: Ladder Tournament
1d 20h
Sparkling Tuna Cup
2 days
INu's Battles
2 days
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
[ Show More ]
BSL Open Qualifier
2 days
BSL Open Qualifier
2 days
Replay Cast
3 days
Afreeca Starleague
3 days
Rush vs Light
WardiTV Weekly
3 days
Replay Cast
4 days
Afreeca Starleague
4 days
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
4 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
5 days
The PondCast
6 days
INu's Battles
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-30
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.