• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 08:15
CEST 14:15
KST 21:15
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup3StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)65Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2314
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Awesome/Confusing SC2 BM SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup [Old] StarCraft 3 Reportedly in Development
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ]
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
BW General Discussion BSL Season 23 Bot on ladder ASL22 General Discussion JaeDong's ASL S22 Ro. 8 Review
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 13293 users

TL Mafia Polls - Page 4

Forum Index > TL Mafia
Post a Reply
Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 13 14 Next All
wherebugsgo
Profile Blog Joined February 2010
Japan10647 Posts
August 20 2013 02:30 GMT
#61
On August 20 2013 07:19 Ace wrote:
All my games are balanced

Ok maybe not Death Factory Mafia


I still regret not shooting the guy next to me.

also fuck instant majority, that mode sucks.
kitaman27 *
Profile Blog Joined April 2009
United States9245 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-08-26 21:51:10
August 26 2013 20:51 GMT
#62
Continuing with the subject of balance, you guys get to play Foolishness for the day.

I've listed five different mini game setups. Mafia kp is fixed at 1. Plurality lynch. Semi-Open. Identify the setup that is least balanced in your opinion and the setup that is the closest to perfect balance. Feel free to suggest tweaks to improve the setup. Also pick the setup that you would be most interested in playing and least interested in playing.

Setup A
1 Roleblocker
2 Goons
1 Medic
1 Detective
7 VT

Setup B
3 Goons
9 VT

Setup C
1 Roleblocker
1 Framer
1 Goon
1 Medic
1 Detective
1 Vigilante
6 VT

Setup D
1 Roleblocker
2 Goons
1 Medic
1 Vigilante
7 VT

Setup E
1 Godfather
1 Roleblocker
1 Goon
1 Serial Killer (Compulsive shot, choice of Cover or 1-shot Bulletproof)
1 Jailer
1 Detective
1 Vigilante
1 Miller
5 VT

Note: All factional kp may be roleblocked in this setup

Poll: Which setup is the least balanced?

Setup C (6)
 
40%

Setup E (4)
 
27%

Setup A (2)
 
13%

Setup D (2)
 
13%

Setup B (1)
 
7%

All setups are adequately balanced within reason (55/45 or better) (0)
 
0%

15 total votes

Your vote: Which setup is the least balanced?

(Vote): Setup A
(Vote): Setup B
(Vote): Setup C
(Vote): Setup D
(Vote): Setup E
(Vote): All setups are adequately balanced within reason (55/45 or better)



Poll: Which setup is the most balanced?

Setup B (6)
 
50%

Setup D (5)
 
42%

Setup E (1)
 
8%

Setup A (0)
 
0%

Setup C (0)
 
0%

All setups have glaring balance issues (65/35 or worse) (0)
 
0%

12 total votes

Your vote: Which setup is the most balanced?

(Vote): Setup A
(Vote): Setup B
(Vote): Setup C
(Vote): Setup D
(Vote): Setup E
(Vote): All setups have glaring balance issues (65/35 or worse)



Poll: Which setup would you be most interested in playing?

Setup E (6)
 
60%

Setup B (2)
 
20%

Setup C (2)
 
20%

Setup A (0)
 
0%

Setup D (0)
 
0%

10 total votes

Your vote: Which setup would you be most interested in playing?

(Vote): Setup A
(Vote): Setup B
(Vote): Setup C
(Vote): Setup D
(Vote): Setup E



Poll: Which setup would you be least interested in playing?

Setup B (5)
 
56%

Setup A (3)
 
33%

Setup E (1)
 
11%

Setup C (0)
 
0%

Setup D (0)
 
0%

9 total votes

Your vote: Which setup would you be least interested in playing?

(Vote): Setup A
(Vote): Setup B
(Vote): Setup C
(Vote): Setup D
(Vote): Setup E


I'm better than dirt. Well, most kinds of dirt. I mean not that fancy store bought dirt. That stuffs loaded with nutrients. I... I can't compete with that stuff.
Hapahauli
Profile Joined May 2009
United States9305 Posts
August 26 2013 21:13 GMT
#63
Balance is incredibly subjective. It's entirely based on player-skill and/or site meta as opposed to some universal truth.

That being said...

Least Balanced is Setup A by far. Medic + Doctor is so absurdly town-favored without any way to contest the accuracy of checks.

Most Balanced is Setup D. Medic + Vigi is a balanced combo, though I'd prefer a jailkeeper in place of the medic instead.

Most Interested in Playing would be Setup B. I quite like the mountainous setups - minimalist but fun.

Least Interested in Playing would be Setup A. Cops in minis are absurdly imbalanced, and more so when there's no way to screw with their checks.
a talking rock that sprouts among the waves woosh
Dandel Ion
Profile Joined November 2010
Austria17960 Posts
August 26 2013 21:40 GMT
#64
E is least balanced because 1) SKs are inherently not a balanced role type 2) DT in a mini on top of it


B and D are the only setups I'd consider truly balanced in the most literal sense (very close to 50/50), C is meh, E and A are less balanced.
Although even those are in the ~60/40 area, which is fine. Well E is more like 50/45/5 if you want to split hairs.
A backwards poet writes inverse.
VayneAuthority
Profile Joined October 2012
United States8983 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-08-26 21:49:21
August 26 2013 21:47 GMT
#65
Least balanced is setup D, Vig calls his shot shortly before night 1 ends, he cannot be CC'ed now and have doctor on him for rest of game. He doesn't care about RB since his shot is already used. Town gets a free leader for the rest of the game while scum frantically searches for the medic, and even then it isn't over, one more day follow the leader.

most balanced is B because you will get closest to 50/50 since there are no PRs to get weird results by chance.

wait I misread C...setup C is just setup D but even more town sided. do the same thing I just said but now you have a detective on the side getting checks quietly

C is worse
I come in for the scraps
kitaman27 *
Profile Blog Joined April 2009
United States9245 Posts
August 26 2013 21:50 GMT
#66
In case it was unclear, all setups are semi-open.
I'm better than dirt. Well, most kinds of dirt. I mean not that fancy store bought dirt. That stuffs loaded with nutrients. I... I can't compete with that stuff.
HiroPro
Profile Joined March 2012
United States2624 Posts
August 26 2013 21:51 GMT
#67
Needs more info Are the setups open/semi-open/closed? What kind of roles are possible? Do notifications exist?
kitaman27 *
Profile Blog Joined April 2009
United States9245 Posts
August 26 2013 21:57 GMT
#68
Standard roles. Yes to notifications.
I'm better than dirt. Well, most kinds of dirt. I mean not that fancy store bought dirt. That stuffs loaded with nutrients. I... I can't compete with that stuff.
HiroPro
Profile Joined March 2012
United States2624 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-08-26 22:01:24
August 26 2013 22:01 GMT
#69
Well what do you consider standard? Would possible mafia vigilantes/non-compulsive serial killers for example be standard?
Clarity_nl
Profile Joined November 2011
Netherlands6826 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-08-26 22:19:45
August 26 2013 22:11 GMT
#70
On August 27 2013 07:01 HiroPro wrote:
Well what do you consider standard? Would possible mafia vigilantes/non-compulsive serial killers for example be standard?


I've seen this discussion before on these forums. It doesn't end well.

edit: in that same thread the question was asked "if someone hosts a normal game, with a twist, should it be hosted under the [N] tag or the [T] tag", did we ever come to a consensus on that?
FIGHT THE GOOD FIGHT AGAINST STUPIDITY CLARITY, I BELIEVE IN YOU! - Palmar
HiroPro
Profile Joined March 2012
United States2624 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-08-26 22:24:46
August 26 2013 22:20 GMT
#71
But I thought arguing for no reason was the whole point of threads like these

I don't think there was any consensus.
Clarity_nl
Profile Joined November 2011
Netherlands6826 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-08-26 22:54:34
August 26 2013 22:28 GMT
#72
Eventually down the road I wanna probably host some minis that are fairly normal but with roles that don't see much play on TL, am just gauging if I get frowned upon for putting something like that in queue as a normal or not.

Specifically I've had my eye on the "ascetic" modifier for some blues (ascetic roleblocks anyone that targets them with a night ability like medic or cop check), but had some other ideas pop in mind from time to time

also backup roles. (e.g. backup cop only gets to check people if the cop has died)

I think both of these modifiers would be great to fine tune a reasonably balanced setup
FIGHT THE GOOD FIGHT AGAINST STUPIDITY CLARITY, I BELIEVE IN YOU! - Palmar
WaveofShadow
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
Canada31495 Posts
August 26 2013 23:39 GMT
#73
On August 27 2013 06:13 Hapahauli wrote:
Balance is incredibly subjective. It's entirely based on player-skill and/or site meta as opposed to some universal truth.

That being said...

Least Balanced is Setup A by far. Medic + Doctor is so absurdly town-favored without any way to contest the accuracy of checks.

Most Balanced is Setup D. Medic + Vigi is a balanced combo, though I'd prefer a jailkeeper in place of the medic instead.

Most Interested in Playing would be Setup B. I quite like the mountainous setups - minimalist but fun.

Least Interested in Playing would be Setup A. Cops in minis are absurdly imbalanced, and more so when there's no way to screw with their checks.

I agree with this though I'd say setup A and C are fairly equally imbalanced.
twitch.tv/waveofshadow ||| Winner of AHGL's So You Think You Can Cast! ||| Juicy Dad for lyfe ||| 'idk i get a kick out of stupid things' - Jarms Yarng
Ace
Profile Blog Joined October 2002
United States16096 Posts
August 27 2013 00:21 GMT
#74
In almost all games, make doctors and jail keepers non-consecutive targeting. You'll solve a lot of potential "unkillable player" problems there too. No idea why hosts don't do this more. Setup A can be fixed by that addition alone in case people are worried about roleblocker being investigated first.
Math me up, scumboi. - Acrofales
kitaman27 *
Profile Blog Joined April 2009
United States9245 Posts
August 27 2013 13:08 GMT
#75
I'll make the argument against the all vanilla setup since it is currently winning poll number two. The assumption that setup B is balanced relies on the assumption that 3 mafia vs 9 town is balanced. In an all vanilla setup with 12 players, the game is going to always end when a faction pulls off three successful lynches. Based on the mechanics of how the mafia and town work, it is clearly unfair that they must meet the same objective. Mafia have the benefit of knowing the identities of their allies and they have the benefit of the nightly kp, which cannot be prevented. Blue roles serve to make up for the factional advantage the mafia has. I believe the all vanilla setup has been run 7-8 times on TL and while this is definitely too small of a sample size, I don't recall a game where town has ever won. It's possible to make the argument that the all vanilla setup isn't well balanced, it's just the most balanced out of the five listed. I'm guessing a near vanilla setup would probably be the fairest in theory.
I'm better than dirt. Well, most kinds of dirt. I mean not that fancy store bought dirt. That stuffs loaded with nutrients. I... I can't compete with that stuff.
marvellosity
Profile Joined January 2011
United Kingdom36161 Posts
August 27 2013 13:10 GMT
#76
On August 27 2013 22:08 kitaman27 wrote:
I'll make the argument against the all vanilla setup since it is currently winning poll number two. The assumption that setup B is balanced relies on the assumption that 3 mafia vs 9 town is balanced. In an all vanilla setup with 12 players, the game is going to always end when a faction pulls off three successful lynches. Based on the mechanics of how the mafia and town work, it is clearly unfair that they must meet the same objective. Mafia have the benefit of knowing the identities of their allies and they have the benefit of the nightly kp, which cannot be prevented. Blue roles serve to make up for the factional advantage the mafia has. I believe the all vanilla setup has been run 7-8 times on TL and while this is definitely too small of a sample size, I don't recall a game where town has ever won. It's possible to make the argument that the all vanilla setup isn't well balanced, it's just the most balanced out of the five listed. I'm guessing a near vanilla setup would probably be the fairest in theory.


It's just the fact, I guess, that vanilla setups aren't "swingy"

10 VT vs 3 goons is a much better setup than 9v3, imo
[15:15] <Palmar> and yes marv, you're a total hottie
Clarity_nl
Profile Joined November 2011
Netherlands6826 Posts
August 27 2013 13:20 GMT
#77
I agree that 10 vt 3 goons is better than 9 vt 3 goons.

Maybe something in the middle of that is even better? 8 vt 1 (1-2shot?) doc 3 goons?
It makes it so that if the doc doesnt save scum still wins in 3 mislynches, but if doc does make a save scum require 4 mislynches. I guess what I didn't think of is that if the doc saves someone they can claim the protect and confirm two townies.... scum can't counterclaim that. Hmmm
FIGHT THE GOOD FIGHT AGAINST STUPIDITY CLARITY, I BELIEVE IN YOU! - Palmar
kitaman27 *
Profile Blog Joined April 2009
United States9245 Posts
August 27 2013 13:21 GMT
#78
On August 27 2013 22:10 marvellosity wrote:
Show nested quote +
On August 27 2013 22:08 kitaman27 wrote:
I'll make the argument against the all vanilla setup since it is currently winning poll number two. The assumption that setup B is balanced relies on the assumption that 3 mafia vs 9 town is balanced. In an all vanilla setup with 12 players, the game is going to always end when a faction pulls off three successful lynches. Based on the mechanics of how the mafia and town work, it is clearly unfair that they must meet the same objective. Mafia have the benefit of knowing the identities of their allies and they have the benefit of the nightly kp, which cannot be prevented. Blue roles serve to make up for the factional advantage the mafia has. I believe the all vanilla setup has been run 7-8 times on TL and while this is definitely too small of a sample size, I don't recall a game where town has ever won. It's possible to make the argument that the all vanilla setup isn't well balanced, it's just the most balanced out of the five listed. I'm guessing a near vanilla setup would probably be the fairest in theory.


It's just the fact, I guess, that vanilla setups aren't "swingy"

10 VT vs 3 goons is a much better setup than 9v3, imo


7 VT vs 5 goons isn't very swingy either, but that doesn't mean it's fair.
I'm better than dirt. Well, most kinds of dirt. I mean not that fancy store bought dirt. That stuffs loaded with nutrients. I... I can't compete with that stuff.
marvellosity
Profile Joined January 2011
United Kingdom36161 Posts
August 27 2013 13:28 GMT
#79
Thanks for that kita, enlightening as ever <3

Balanced setups shouldn't be too hard for minis, imo. Not too many blues so the game isn't too swingy, and work out how many mislynches/lynches are needed and how many saves etc. changes this number, what the worst/best case scenario is etc.
[15:15] <Palmar> and yes marv, you're a total hottie
kitaman27 *
Profile Blog Joined April 2009
United States9245 Posts
August 27 2013 13:31 GMT
#80
Anytime.

I know at least 3 other sites keep some time of log of past games. I wonder if we would be able to build up a large enough sample size to take a look at mini setup win rates.
I'm better than dirt. Well, most kinds of dirt. I mean not that fancy store bought dirt. That stuffs loaded with nutrients. I... I can't compete with that stuff.
Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 13 14 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Online Event
20:00
BamsPatch 1.0 Weekly #3
Liquipedia
CranKy Ducklings
19:00
Sea Duckling Open #150 (SHIN Mod Edition)
CranKy Ducklings111
CranKy Ducklings SOOP40
LiquipediaDiscussion
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
Lowko295
SHIN 155
ProTech129
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 28981
Hyuk 1387
Shuttle 1243
Bisu 1133
Mind 369
Mini 294
Larva 263
firebathero 235
EffOrt 220
Soma 186
[ Show more ]
Last 123
ZerO 106
Leta 96
Hm[arnc] 94
Zeus 77
Hyun 71
Pusan 63
Trap 37
hero 32
Sexy 32
Killer 31
Bale 29
ToSsGirL 29
PianO 28
sorry 28
Aegong 24
yabsab 13
zelot 13
Noble 10
JulyZerg 9
Sacsri 7
ajuk12(nOOB) 4
Dota 2
Dendi1075
qojqva742
Gorgc651
XcaliburYe556
XaKoH 449
Heroes of the Storm
Khaldor1592
Other Games
gofns39145
singsing2639
B2W.Neo1168
crisheroes324
Happy298
DeMusliM230
Livibee121
Mew2King108
ToD104
ArmadaUGS61
ZerO(Twitch)6
Organizations
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream193
[ Show 12 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• StrangeGG 62
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• C_a_k_e 8192
League of Legends
• Jankos1764
Other Games
• WagamamaTV232
Upcoming Events
FEL
3h 45m
AI Arena Tournament
4h 45m
BSL: Ladder Tournament
6h 45m
Sparkling Tuna Cup
21h 45m
INu's Battles
23h 45m
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
BSL Open Qualifier
1d 6h
BSL Open Qualifier
1d 6h
Replay Cast
1d 11h
Afreeca Starleague
1d 21h
Rush vs Light
WardiTV Weekly
1d 22h
[ Show More ]
Monday Night Weeklies
2 days
Afreeca Starleague
2 days
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
2 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
3 days
The PondCast
4 days
INu's Battles
4 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-10-02
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
Copium Cup
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.