• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 12:47
CEST 18:47
KST 01:47
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)57Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double
Tourneys
2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ] ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
BW General Discussion Bot on ladder JaeDong's ASL S22 Ro. 8 Review Fantasy returning? ASL22 General Discussion
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 8148 users

TL Mafia Polls - Page 6

Forum Index > TL Mafia
Post a Reply
Prev 1 4 5 6 7 8 14 Next All
Clarity_nl
Profile Joined November 2011
Netherlands6826 Posts
September 16 2013 20:16 GMT
#101
I guess in thinking about that question I've come to the conclusion that I don't really like pm games because of this issue.
Paraphrasing is awkward, but if you allow direct quoting (even without timestamps) then it seems unfair to scum.

Yes, scum COULD forge pms in the writing style of the townie who died but then you're not playing mafia anymore.

Obviously not allowing any mention of pms just makes the game awkward because people will have reads based off of pms that they can't really act on, which in itself makes pms useless to begin with other than maybe coordinating power roles.
So if I had to pick I guess I'd go with paraphrasing.

Plus everyone just plays worse in pm games because they scumhunt less. =/
FIGHT THE GOOD FIGHT AGAINST STUPIDITY CLARITY, I BELIEVE IN YOU! - Palmar
raynpelikoneet
Profile Joined April 2007
Finland43270 Posts
September 17 2013 00:13 GMT
#102
Quote convos as you wish (no screenshots). Forging is easy.
No quoting host PM's, not even role PM's.
table for two on a tv tray
Clarity_nl
Profile Joined November 2011
Netherlands6826 Posts
September 17 2013 00:24 GMT
#103
On September 17 2013 09:13 raynpelikoneet wrote:
Quote convos as you wish (no screenshots). Forging is easy.
No quoting host PM's, not even role PM's.


Forging is not easy once people can directly quote pms.
When this is made possible suddenly I am spending time scrutinizing someone's writing style and mannerisms and comparing them to the pms that were just posted to see if they were forged (or to forge pms). I don't want to do that.
FIGHT THE GOOD FIGHT AGAINST STUPIDITY CLARITY, I BELIEVE IN YOU! - Palmar
kitaman27 *
Profile Blog Joined April 2009
United States9245 Posts
September 17 2013 01:13 GMT
#104
On September 17 2013 09:24 Clarity_nl wrote:
Show nested quote +
On September 17 2013 09:13 raynpelikoneet wrote:
Quote convos as you wish (no screenshots). Forging is easy.
No quoting host PM's, not even role PM's.


Forging is not easy once people can directly quote pms.
When this is made possible suddenly I am spending time scrutinizing someone's writing style and mannerisms and comparing them to the pms that were just posted to see if they were forged (or to forge pms). I don't want to do that.


Disallowing direct quoting does take away the option from a mafia team that does want to do that however. Sure, paraphrasing could do the same thing, but it lacks the wow factor that a full set of fake logs could provide.

I think that perfectly emulating a writing style isn't really necessary unless it is someone with an incredibly distinctive posting style or someone with questionable English, which is pretty rare.
I'm better than dirt. Well, most kinds of dirt. I mean not that fancy store bought dirt. That stuffs loaded with nutrients. I... I can't compete with that stuff.
marvellosity
Profile Joined January 2011
United Kingdom36161 Posts
September 17 2013 10:46 GMT
#105
On September 17 2013 05:16 Clarity_nl wrote:
I guess in thinking about that question I've come to the conclusion that I don't really like pm games because of this issue.
Paraphrasing is awkward, but if you allow direct quoting (even without timestamps) then it seems unfair to scum.

Yes, scum COULD forge pms in the writing style of the townie who died but then you're not playing mafia anymore.

Obviously not allowing any mention of pms just makes the game awkward because people will have reads based off of pms that they can't really act on, which in itself makes pms useless to begin with other than maybe coordinating power roles.
So if I had to pick I guess I'd go with paraphrasing.

Plus everyone just plays worse in pm games because they scumhunt less. =/


Deception, lies, and trickery?

Sounds like mafia to me
[15:15] <Palmar> and yes marv, you're a total hottie
Clarity_nl
Profile Joined November 2011
Netherlands6826 Posts
September 17 2013 11:00 GMT
#106
On September 17 2013 19:46 marvellosity wrote:
Show nested quote +
On September 17 2013 05:16 Clarity_nl wrote:
I guess in thinking about that question I've come to the conclusion that I don't really like pm games because of this issue.
Paraphrasing is awkward, but if you allow direct quoting (even without timestamps) then it seems unfair to scum.

Yes, scum COULD forge pms in the writing style of the townie who died but then you're not playing mafia anymore.

Obviously not allowing any mention of pms just makes the game awkward because people will have reads based off of pms that they can't really act on, which in itself makes pms useless to begin with other than maybe coordinating power roles.
So if I had to pick I guess I'd go with paraphrasing.

Plus everyone just plays worse in pm games because they scumhunt less. =/


Deception, lies, and trickery?

Sounds like mafia to me


Eh, I get that. But if the meta would somehow drift into every game being a pm game and forging pm logs at an acceptable level was normal, I'd probably enjoy mafia less. Maybe it's more of a stylistic grievance for me, dunno.

I don't remember what game is was where someone screenshotted them playing dota to prove that they weren't around, and someone commented it was not in the spirit of the game and I kinda get that. Maybe it's not quite the same as forging pms, but once the game becomes "you gain an advantage by being able to forge documents that prove things" it just becomes a different game and one I probably would not want to play. (part of that scenario was my fault cause I questioned the guys claim of playing dota by the length of his dissapearance, so meh)
FIGHT THE GOOD FIGHT AGAINST STUPIDITY CLARITY, I BELIEVE IN YOU! - Palmar
marvellosity
Profile Joined January 2011
United Kingdom36161 Posts
September 17 2013 11:07 GMT
#107
Generally speaking in mafia I'm a fan of both sides having options.

And I don't think TL Mafia is showing any particular signs of games becoming predominantly PM with forgeries whizzing about either, so I wouldn't worry too much, babycakes
[15:15] <Palmar> and yes marv, you're a total hottie
Clarity_nl
Profile Joined November 2011
Netherlands6826 Posts
September 17 2013 11:13 GMT
#108
You know I'm an idealist. Can't help myself.
Anyway I'm not calling it wrong, I'm just calling it "not to my liking"
FIGHT THE GOOD FIGHT AGAINST STUPIDITY CLARITY, I BELIEVE IN YOU! - Palmar
marvellosity
Profile Joined January 2011
United Kingdom36161 Posts
September 17 2013 11:33 GMT
#109
Well, idealistically, one might argue that convincingly forging PMs/conversations is a height of scum play.
[15:15] <Palmar> and yes marv, you're a total hottie
raynpelikoneet
Profile Joined April 2007
Finland43270 Posts
September 17 2013 11:37 GMT
#110
In theory mafia should not need to forge PM's. But it's fun. :D
I ahve actually never forged conversations as mafia, only time when i have done that is when assumed mafia wants town -- town logs and i want to make them hit who i want to. ^^
table for two on a tv tray
Clarity_nl
Profile Joined November 2011
Netherlands6826 Posts
September 17 2013 11:37 GMT
#111
On September 17 2013 20:33 marvellosity wrote:
Well, idealistically, one might argue that convincingly forging PMs/conversations is a height of scum play.


Hmph. Yes, it would be the height of scumplay if direct quoting is allowed. Which is why I don't like it
FIGHT THE GOOD FIGHT AGAINST STUPIDITY CLARITY, I BELIEVE IN YOU! - Palmar
raynpelikoneet
Profile Joined April 2007
Finland43270 Posts
September 17 2013 11:39 GMT
#112
I mean, if you need to forge PM's as scum you are probably already in deep shit.
It's like kita said, the wow-factor when something like that succeeds!
table for two on a tv tray
marvellosity
Profile Joined January 2011
United Kingdom36161 Posts
September 17 2013 11:41 GMT
#113
On September 17 2013 20:39 raynpelikoneet wrote:
I mean, if you need to forge PM's as scum you are probably already in deep shit.
It's like kita said, the wow-factor when something like that succeeds!


don't see why that has to be the case at all tbh
[15:15] <Palmar> and yes marv, you're a total hottie
raynpelikoneet
Profile Joined April 2007
Finland43270 Posts
September 17 2013 13:32 GMT
#114
On September 17 2013 20:41 marvellosity wrote:
Show nested quote +
On September 17 2013 20:39 raynpelikoneet wrote:
I mean, if you need to forge PM's as scum you are probably already in deep shit.
It's like kita said, the wow-factor when something like that succeeds!


don't see why that has to be the case at all tbh

Because as scum you should be pushing your agenda in PM's so that you don't get caught even if the logs come in public.
In Sicilian Ver had a point in "why post logs after someone has died, because they can't be verified to be true most likely".

In GoT i made sure whatever PM's come into the thread they do not incriminate me. I PM'd with my scumbuddies when it was allowed (when Chrom was a lord). I think that's far better as scum to play like that compared to playing it risky and hope you can forge PM's if needed.

I mean, obviously at the last night i claimed scum to Risen, but that didn't matter any more because he knew i was scum already. :D
table for two on a tv tray
Clarity_nl
Profile Joined November 2011
Netherlands6826 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-09-17 13:46:04
September 17 2013 13:43 GMT
#115
I think the idea behind forging pms is usually that when a townie dies and someone asks for logs between you (as scum) and him, you can change his reads post mortem to suit your agenda.

edit: so forging pms definitely has benefits even if you're already winning or whatever
FIGHT THE GOOD FIGHT AGAINST STUPIDITY CLARITY, I BELIEVE IN YOU! - Palmar
raynpelikoneet
Profile Joined April 2007
Finland43270 Posts
September 17 2013 14:31 GMT
#116
On September 17 2013 22:43 Clarity_nl wrote:
I think the idea behind forging pms is usually that when a townie dies and someone asks for logs between you (as scum) and him, you can change his reads post mortem to suit your agenda.

edit: so forging pms definitely has benefits even if you're already winning or whatever

There is a problem though. What if he has been PMing someone else who is town?
I understand what you are after but it's not a good idea unless you can be sure it's only you who the dude has been PMing with and the forgery does not contradict what the dude has been saying in thread.
table for two on a tv tray
Ace
Profile Blog Joined October 2002
United States16096 Posts
September 17 2013 14:44 GMT
#117
PM games are generally ass
Math me up, scumboi. - Acrofales
Dandel Ion
Profile Joined November 2010
Austria17960 Posts
September 17 2013 15:27 GMT
#118
On September 17 2013 23:44 Ace wrote:
PM games are generally ass
A backwards poet writes inverse.
Bill Murray
Profile Blog Joined October 2009
United States9292 Posts
September 17 2013 17:07 GMT
#119
On September 17 2013 23:44 Ace wrote:
games ass

University of Kentucky Basketball #1
GreYMisT
Profile Blog Joined October 2010
United States6736 Posts
September 17 2013 17:29 GMT
#120
On September 17 2013 23:44 Ace wrote:
ass

"life of lively to live to life of full life thx to shield battery" / Join TL Mafia! http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/index.php?show_part=31
Prev 1 4 5 6 7 8 14 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Stellar Fest
13:00
Stellar Fest 2 The Moon: Qualifier Day 3
IntoTheiNu 1165
ComeBackTV 1133
SteadfastSC889
TaKeTV 591
IndyStarCraft 221
Rex152
EnkiAlexander 83
LiquipediaDiscussion
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
SteadfastSC 889
IndyStarCraft 221
Rex 152
ProTech133
BRAT_OK 43
MindelVK 13
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 44564
Shuttle 647
Mini 394
Larva 322
Soma 298
Rush 225
BeSt 206
Hyuk 112
firebathero 89
Dewaltoss 74
[ Show more ]
Mong 64
Sexy 39
ToSsGirL 28
Trap 27
Bale 19
Rock 17
Shine 15
Terrorterran 14
Sacsri 10
Dota 2
Gorgc8100
qojqva1702
Counter-Strike
fl0m1332
Fnx 792
Heroes of the Storm
crisheroes1559
Khaldor1203
Other Games
hiko1319
FrodaN1145
DeMusliM384
Livibee198
ArmadaUGS150
KnowMe133
XBOCT128
XaKoH 106
QueenE86
C9.Mang075
Mew2King74
Beastyqt13
CosmosSc2 12
Organizations
Other Games
BasetradeTV273
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream73
[ Show 15 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• poizon28 40
• StrangeGG 32
• Hinosc 12
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• Michael_bg 9
• FirePhoenix4
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
League of Legends
• Nemesis3927
Other Games
• Shiphtur370
Upcoming Events
OSC
5h 13m
CranKy Ducklings
17h 13m
Online Event
18h 13m
FEL
23h 13m
AI Arena Tournament
1d
BSL: Ladder Tournament
1d 2h
Sparkling Tuna Cup
1d 17h
INu's Battles
1d 19h
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
BSL Open Qualifier
2 days
BSL Open Qualifier
2 days
[ Show More ]
Replay Cast
2 days
Afreeca Starleague
2 days
Rush vs Light
WardiTV Weekly
2 days
Monday Night Weeklies
2 days
Replay Cast
3 days
Afreeca Starleague
3 days
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
3 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
4 days
The PondCast
5 days
INu's Battles
5 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-30
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.