• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 16:15
CEST 22:15
KST 05:15
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
5.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 20268Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)78Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2
StarCraft 2
General
5.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 2026 [Old] StarCraft 3 Reportedly in Development StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)
Tourneys
ISSL (IntoTheTV x SOOP SC2 League): Premier Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond)
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
Fantasy returning? BGH Auto Balance -> http://bghmmr.eu/ BW General Discussion GG Lan Fest Sofia, Bulgaria [this November] Sagi.gg Launcher Released
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Simple Questions, Simple Answers Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do?
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Canadian Politics Mega-thread US Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Russo-Ukrainian War Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
[Manga] One Piece Movie Discussion! Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 8877 users

Memrise: Learning languages with a game approach - Page 50

Forum Index > General Forum
Post a Reply
Prev 1 48 49 50 51 52 69 Next
Forlorn
Profile Joined April 2010
Korea (South)69 Posts
January 27 2012 14:40 GMT
#981
On January 11 2012 15:51 Quesadilla wrote:
I really wish somebody would add grammar into the mix as well. You can learn endless vocabulary but have no idea how to use it in Korea, unless you are living there.


I am currently working on trying to make a Korean grammar word-list. I have been busy lately so its creation is going slow. Also it is difficult to create a word-list that you could effectively use to learn the grammar. I might just post what I have completed so far in the next couple of days and then continuously add more grammar to it later.
Hi
DueleR
Profile Joined May 2010
United States207 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-01-27 20:54:20
January 27 2012 20:51 GMT
#982

^^ Thanks! Yeah, actually my wife was a foreign exchange student in Ohio, then came back to the US with me for 5 years, and we just decided to go to France to see the other side of the family a bit... been here since April (when I created my TL account hence the France thing on there) As awesome as this list is, nothing is as good as just speaking that language every day! If you need any help with the grammar, let me know!


Oh that's awesome! - how well can you get by there? Learning grammar by myself is ok, but it's still hard b/cuz I don't talk to anyone in French on a day to day basis (or at least noone that will put up with my broken French!). What region of France are you in?

I lived in Paris the first part of 2011 for my last semester of grad (law) school, studying at Sciences Po. Unfortunately it was an exchange-type program with my law school in the US, so the classes were taught in (badly accented) english and I pretty much fell into the trap of spending all my time with my American classmates who were in the same program. So I picked up enough French to the point where I could order food in a restaurant and not offend people...and then I stopped.

But of course, I came back home to the US and realized that 1) French is an awesome language, and 2) I do want to learn it seriously. Unfortunately now I'm working as a corporate lawyer in NYC, which doesn't leave me a whole lot of time--I basically try to study for 2 hours every night before going to sleep. And of course wish to myself that I did more to learn when I was actually in France. But I guess that's how these things go much of the time - you never really appreciate something until it's gone :p
ShangMing
Profile Joined December 2010
Canada106 Posts
January 27 2012 21:28 GMT
#983
I have a question to those who used this to "learn" Mandarin.

Was it actually helpful? Can you do things like read Chinese newspapers yet?

I'm Chinese, but my reading/writing/speaking/comprehension are probably at a grade 2 level (in China), since I grew up in Canada since I was 3. I've been meaning to start learning Chinese seriously for a long time now, but haven't been able to because of school. At most, I'd watch a Chinese drama or two every few months, but that doesn't really help unless I really focus on the Chinese subtitles, which I can't read most of anyway. feelsbadman.jpg
Tal
Profile Blog Joined May 2004
United Kingdom1018 Posts
January 28 2012 01:32 GMT
#984
On January 28 2012 06:28 ShangMing wrote:
I have a question to those who used this to "learn" Mandarin.

Was it actually helpful? Can you do things like read Chinese newspapers yet?

I'm Chinese, but my reading/writing/speaking/comprehension are probably at a grade 2 level (in China), since I grew up in Canada since I was 3. I've been meaning to start learning Chinese seriously for a long time now, but haven't been able to because of school. At most, I'd watch a Chinese drama or two every few months, but that doesn't really help unless I really focus on the Chinese subtitles, which I can't read most of anyway. feelsbadman.jpg


It's definitely helpful. I can't read newspapers yet, but that's because I've only been studying for a few months. Comparing the amount of words I've learnt with memrise, and how well I can recall them, to the amount of words I've learnt in classes, through books and through audio courses, it's obvious that memrise is much more effective. I can't recommend it enough.

Having said that, memorizing vocabulary is only one part of learning a language - speaking, listening, writing and working on sentence structures are important.
It is what you read when you don't have to that determines what you will be when you can't help it.
[UoN]Sentinel
Profile Blog Joined November 2009
United States11320 Posts
January 28 2012 02:14 GMT
#985
TL-SentineL on there, learning Finnish and maybe later I'll do German.
Нас зовет дух отцов, память старых бойцов, дух Москвы и твердыня Полтавы
SCPhineas
Profile Joined February 2011
Netherlands119 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-01-30 10:36:57
January 30 2012 10:36 GMT
#986
I accidentally ignored a word in my wordlist, can I get it back in the worldlist? I'm annoyed by 259/260 >:
Edzako
Profile Joined January 2012
Latvia1 Post
January 30 2012 14:17 GMT
#987
Started using ~2 months ago after reading this thread.

Helped to expand my (still rather pitiful) German vocabalery.

Thanks a bunch,
HotShizz
Profile Blog Joined May 2011
France710 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-01-30 14:40:16
January 30 2012 14:36 GMT
#988
On January 28 2012 05:51 DueleR wrote:
Show nested quote +

^^ Thanks! Yeah, actually my wife was a foreign exchange student in Ohio, then came back to the US with me for 5 years, and we just decided to go to France to see the other side of the family a bit... been here since April (when I created my TL account hence the France thing on there) As awesome as this list is, nothing is as good as just speaking that language every day! If you need any help with the grammar, let me know!


Oh that's awesome! - how well can you get by there? Learning grammar by myself is ok, but it's still hard b/cuz I don't talk to anyone in French on a day to day basis (or at least noone that will put up with my broken French!). What region of France are you in?

I lived in Paris the first part of 2011 for my last semester of grad (law) school, studying at Sciences Po. Unfortunately it was an exchange-type program with my law school in the US, so the classes were taught in (badly accented) english and I pretty much fell into the trap of spending all my time with my American classmates who were in the same program. So I picked up enough French to the point where I could order food in a restaurant and not offend people...and then I stopped.

But of course, I came back home to the US and realized that 1) French is an awesome language, and 2) I do want to learn it seriously. Unfortunately now I'm working as a corporate lawyer in NYC, which doesn't leave me a whole lot of time--I basically try to study for 2 hours every night before going to sleep. And of course wish to myself that I did more to learn when I was actually in France. But I guess that's how these things go much of the time - you never really appreciate something until it's gone :p


I get by well. When I came here I had a bit of french, kind of child level grammar, but enough I could get a point across. After a few weeks of just using it every day it comes so much easier. At this point I have an accent but at least I can have professional meetings/interviews in person or over the phone, as well as talk to people at social gathering, writing letters with only a bit of editing by the mrs. etc. Basically all the facets of normal life over here. However, if I spend the entire day talking and thinking in French, by night I am so ready to just switch off and switch back to English.

What I can suggest to you is keep an eye out for when Millenium pops up on the streaming list, and just run their stream as background noise or whatever. It's always in French, but as it's SC, you'll pick out a lot of words that are the same, hydralisks or whatever, and you'll be able to pick up a lot more than you'd think. Plus, it's mostly just common vernacular. It wont help as much as being constantly surrounded by it, but it's a nice ego boost when you start to pick up what they are saying even if you don't get every word.

edit* By the way, lived in Paris until end of December... SOOOOO expensive. And I know in NYC you're probably much more used to the hustle and commotion, but everything, including administration, is so much more relaxed in the country side in France. Wow... What part of Paris were you in? I was in 20ème arrondissement, close to the cemetery Père Lachaise, where Morrison and Wilde are buried.
SCPhineas
Profile Joined February 2011
Netherlands119 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-02-01 13:43:45
January 31 2012 13:44 GMT
#989
HotShizz, how are you getting so many points each day?:O Do you incorporate languages that you (used to) know, to refresh them? Or do you simply learn a lot?^^ How much time do you spend each day learning?
I'm just very curious because I recently got back into learning languages. Since I have a week off I decided to learn 100 words each day, resulting in me taking almost half the amount of points you get on a daily basis, but you seem to be able to keep it up for months on end :o Do you have a routine?
Sorry to bother, maybe I'm too curious :p
Edit: Oh, so you're living in a french-speaking region I see :p is that most of your secret?
Edit 2: Has memrise been a bit slower than usual for others the last few days as well?
Jesushooves
Profile Joined November 2010
Canada553 Posts
February 02 2012 01:03 GMT
#990
For people learning korean, This may help. I am sure it is helping me. I haven't read all 50 pages though so sorry if this was already posted, but I know a lot of people here want to learn korean on memrise and are having trouble, including myself.
Lose its good, after will be win.
skyglow1
Profile Blog Joined April 2005
New Zealand3962 Posts
February 04 2012 05:20 GMT
#991
Anyone else's list of Gardens just show up as a blank page?
NationInArms
Profile Blog Joined December 2010
United States1553 Posts
February 04 2012 06:38 GMT
#992
I love Memrise. I'm using it for school right now and I'm just making my own lists for Spanish vocab and SAT vocab. This website is soooo helpful.
BW for life | Fantasy, MMA, SlayerS_Boxer | Taengoo! n_n | "Lelouch vi Britannia commands you! Obey me, subjects! OBEY ME, WORLD!" | <3 Emi
SCPhineas
Profile Joined February 2011
Netherlands119 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-02-07 20:34:20
February 05 2012 12:55 GMT
#993
The waypoint page keeps telling me some plants are wilting whilst they are not
edit: haha, doubled my points this week!:D Gonna try to keep 50/words a day coming from now on :p school's starting again tho
edit2: problem seems fixed.
Retgery
Profile Joined August 2010
Canada1229 Posts
February 11 2012 21:39 GMT
#994
I'm doing japanese alphabet right now, how do switch between learning the hiragana and the katakana?
Fall down 7 times, stand up 8.
HotShizz
Profile Blog Joined May 2011
France710 Posts
February 11 2012 21:55 GMT
#995
On January 31 2012 22:44 SCPhineas wrote:
HotShizz, how are you getting so many points each day?:O Do you incorporate languages that you (used to) know, to refresh them? Or do you simply learn a lot?^^ How much time do you spend each day learning?
I'm just very curious because I recently got back into learning languages. Since I have a week off I decided to learn 100 words each day, resulting in me taking almost half the amount of points you get on a daily basis, but you seem to be able to keep it up for months on end :o Do you have a routine?
Sorry to bother, maybe I'm too curious :p
Edit: Oh, so you're living in a french-speaking region I see :p is that most of your secret?
Edit 2: Has memrise been a bit slower than usual for others the last few days as well?


I'm not sure how much time I spend on it... I do two new sets of words at a time, but I have about 2500 words already learned, so i have a lot to water each time. Plus I do a few languages, Dutch, French, SAT English, German, and Spanish. So one time through the words is about thirty new words and like I said I do it twice, so maybe 60 per day, but I water all the wilting when I do it. Every time I take a bit of time off because of work or whatever I have a few hundred words to water and that just equates to a lot of points too.

What language(s) are you working on/already speak?

Carson
Profile Joined September 2010
Canada820 Posts
February 12 2012 04:20 GMT
#996
On January 28 2012 10:32 Tal wrote:
Show nested quote +
On January 28 2012 06:28 ShangMing wrote:
I have a question to those who used this to "learn" Mandarin.

Was it actually helpful? Can you do things like read Chinese newspapers yet?

I'm Chinese, but my reading/writing/speaking/comprehension are probably at a grade 2 level (in China), since I grew up in Canada since I was 3. I've been meaning to start learning Chinese seriously for a long time now, but haven't been able to because of school. At most, I'd watch a Chinese drama or two every few months, but that doesn't really help unless I really focus on the Chinese subtitles, which I can't read most of anyway. feelsbadman.jpg


It's definitely helpful. I can't read newspapers yet, but that's because I've only been studying for a few months. Comparing the amount of words I've learnt with memrise, and how well I can recall them, to the amount of words I've learnt in classes, through books and through audio courses, it's obvious that memrise is much more effective. I can't recommend it enough.

Having said that, memorizing vocabulary is only one part of learning a language - speaking, listening, writing and working on sentence structures are important.

I agree totally with this.

I have only 350 words on Memrise in Mandarin after 3 months of using it, but it's great, I can read Chinese and get the sense of it as long as it's basic.

It also really helps me with memorizing tones, which is vital for when you are speaking. My sentence structure is awful though, and I can't formulate my own sentences very well yet. All in good time I suppose
"You have to remember something: Everybody pities the weak; jealousy you have to earn." Arnold Schwarzenegger
SocialStigma
Profile Joined December 2011
Australia29 Posts
February 12 2012 15:23 GMT
#997
I've recently started using this game for learning Chinese and it seems pretty effective. But I've been wondering when you reach a few hundred words do you start to forget some of them? Or at least forget how to pronounce them? I can't imagine learning so many words in such a short time since you can go at a pretty fast pace in this game.
Rules do not exist to bind us, but exist so we may know our freedoms.
Keitzer
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
United States2509 Posts
February 12 2012 15:50 GMT
#998
TL-Keitzer... this is really cool so far
I'm like badass squared | KeitZer.489
B.I.G.
Profile Blog Joined August 2010
3251 Posts
February 12 2012 15:51 GMT
#999
maybe an option to select categories of words you want to learn? sometimes you get some really useless words at a beginner level
snpnx
Profile Joined February 2010
Germany454 Posts
February 12 2012 23:11 GMT
#1000
You can add me to the list of TL members learning (TL-snpnx , Korean and Chinese)
"Language is Freeware, in that it's free to use, but it's not Open Source, so you can't just change things how you like."
Prev 1 48 49 50 51 52 69 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 2h
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
mouzHeroMarine 611
ProTech144
Nina 78
JuggernautJason57
RuFF_SC2 21
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 23256
Calm 2599
Mini 153
Dewaltoss 107
firebathero 101
soO 51
Bale 33
HiyA 25
PianO 14
Sacsri 5
Dota 2
Gorgc7467
XaKoH 288
monkeys_forever112
canceldota24
League of Legends
Doublelift2326
Counter-Strike
Fnx 1550
fl0m1287
Heroes of the Storm
Liquid`Hasu790
Other Games
summit1g1967
FrodaN1772
Beastyqt606
B2W.Neo345
mouzStarbuck343
shahzam322
ToD202
Livibee180
C9.Mang0136
Trikslyr111
RotterdaM101
UpATreeSC91
Mew2King45
[ Show 13 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• StrangeGG 50
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• niya90s 1
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Other Games
• imaqtpie1088
• Shiphtur737
• WagamamaTV244
Upcoming Events
OSC
2h
Replay Cast
2h 45m
OSC
1d 2h
Big Brain Bouts
1d 13h
Rex vs INexorable
GgMaChine vs HeRoMaRinE
Reynor vs herO
AI Arena Tournament
1d 20h
BSL: Ladder Tournament
1d 22h
Sparkling Tuna Cup
2 days
Patches Events
2 days
BSL Open Qualifier
2 days
BSL Open Qualifier
2 days
[ Show More ]
WardiTV Weekly
4 days
PiGosaur Cup
5 days
The PondCast
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
HCC Season 3
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.