• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 07:02
CEST 13:02
KST 20:02
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
Rollback Netcode in Brood War445.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 202621Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)78
StarCraft 2
General
5.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 2026 [Old] StarCraft 3 Reportedly in Development StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)
Tourneys
$3,500 WardiTV Not-Summer Championship ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event RSL 2026 Offline Finals LCQ Sign-Ups Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) ISSL (IntoTheTV x SOOP SC2 League): Premier
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
TL Sidebar missing streams BGH Auto Balance -> http://bghmmr.eu/ Rollback Netcode in Brood War [ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror Bot on ladder
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Simple Questions, Simple Answers Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do?
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
[Manga] One Piece Movie Discussion! Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
TeamLiquid Health and Fitness Initiative For 2023 Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 9175 users

[HowTo] Make Sick Bass - Page 2

Forum Index > General Forum
Post a Reply
Prev 1 2 3 4 Next All
sob3k
Profile Blog Joined August 2009
United States7572 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-10-14 23:52:57
October 14 2011 23:39 GMT
#21
On October 15 2011 08:22 FREEloss_ca wrote:
Show nested quote +
On October 15 2011 08:06 ChineseWife wrote:
cool guide! as an audio engineer and electronic music producer, i approve! I also like the fabfilter stuff, really quality.


If I send you some of my ableton files can you master them for me pretty please?

Nice guide! My biggest issue with Massive (and synths for that matter) is Voicing. I don't really understand what's going on there, or what the difference is between monorotate, monophone, etc.


No clue what monorotate does...Sounds the same as Mono to me in all my experiments.

Poly vs monophonic is just how many notes/tones the synth will play at the same time, if you wanna play chords then you will have to use poly, if you want to glide between stacked notes you want mono. Also pretty much all bass should be made while set to monophonic with only one voice, otherwise you can get destructive interference when you have filters going...I've had it happen before I knew what was up, makes all your bass disappear occasionally and is really F-in annoying.
In Hungry Hungry Hippos there are no such constraints—one can constantly attempt to collect marbles with one’s hippo, limited only by one’s hippo-levering capabilities.
ChineseWife
Profile Joined August 2010
United States373 Posts
October 14 2011 23:52 GMT
#22
On October 15 2011 08:22 FREEloss_ca wrote:
Show nested quote +
On October 15 2011 08:06 ChineseWife wrote:
cool guide! as an audio engineer and electronic music producer, i approve! I also like the fabfilter stuff, really quality.


If I send you some of my ableton files can you master them for me pretty please?

Nice guide! My biggest issue with Massive (and synths for that matter) is Voicing. I don't really understand what's going on there, or what the difference is between monorotate, monophone, etc.


lol i do mixing & mastering, but i usually get paaaaaaaid yo
Oops I made no units
sob3k
Profile Blog Joined August 2009
United States7572 Posts
October 14 2011 23:53 GMT
#23
On October 15 2011 08:52 ChineseWife wrote:
Show nested quote +
On October 15 2011 08:22 FREEloss_ca wrote:
On October 15 2011 08:06 ChineseWife wrote:
cool guide! as an audio engineer and electronic music producer, i approve! I also like the fabfilter stuff, really quality.


If I send you some of my ableton files can you master them for me pretty please?

Nice guide! My biggest issue with Massive (and synths for that matter) is Voicing. I don't really understand what's going on there, or what the difference is between monorotate, monophone, etc.


lol i do mixing & mastering, but i usually get paaaaaaaid yo


Where did you learn how to master?
In Hungry Hungry Hippos there are no such constraints—one can constantly attempt to collect marbles with one’s hippo, limited only by one’s hippo-levering capabilities.
ChineseWife
Profile Joined August 2010
United States373 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-10-15 00:00:18
October 14 2011 23:59 GMT
#24
lots of practice! went to school for music production & worked at a few studios. wouldnt call myself a mastering engineer, bc i dont have the cash to invest in a proper mastering setup, but my monitoring and d/a chain is mastering quality.
Oops I made no units
Arnstein
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
Norway3381 Posts
October 15 2011 00:01 GMT
#25
I think that it's always best to record a normal bass, and then add effects later(or analogue effects before recording). This gives the bass sound a lot more feeling etc. I will, however, try this out, since a change is nice once in a while!

Thanks for the guide :D
rsol in response to the dragoon voice being heard in SCII: dragoon ai reaches new lows: wanders into wrong game
-Xios
Profile Joined October 2010
England79 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-10-15 00:08:14
October 15 2011 00:01 GMT
#26
Sick to see this kind of thread on TL! I've been making electronic music for a couple of years now, Am a regular over at Dubstep-forum.

Nice guide on basic synthesis!

If you really want to get into the nitty gritty be sure to check out this. While you do that, download this book. Additive synthesis will blow your mind! lol Infact I find sound design and the general sonic world both fascinating and infinitely mysterious.

Fun times!
Heart of the Swarm
FREEloss_ca
Profile Blog Joined December 2008
Canada603 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-10-15 00:08:33
October 15 2011 00:07 GMT
#27
On October 15 2011 08:59 ChineseWife wrote:
lots of practice! went to school for music production & worked at a few studios. wouldnt call myself a mastering engineer, bc i dont have the cash to invest in a proper mastering setup, but my monitoring and d/a chain is mastering quality.


I'm a starving artist and can't afford to have anyone master my tracks. I can do basic EQing but I just can't get that high production quality that say, a Skrillex or Deadmau5 track would have.

How much do you charge normally? And do you have any samples of your work?
"Starcraft...It just echos brilliance and manliness." - Tasteless
Thrill
Profile Blog Joined May 2007
2599 Posts
October 15 2011 00:09 GMT
#28
On October 15 2011 06:04 AutomatonOmega wrote:
+ Show Spoiler +
[image loading]


Here's how I make Sick Bass.

Edit: Useful tutorial, I'll definitely reference it if I ever get into making Electronic music.


Came into the thread expecting this.

Was not disappointed. Excellent job sir!
sob3k
Profile Blog Joined August 2009
United States7572 Posts
October 15 2011 00:12 GMT
#29
On October 15 2011 08:59 ChineseWife wrote:
lots of practice! went to school for music production & worked at a few studios. wouldnt call myself a mastering engineer, bc i dont have the cash to invest in a proper mastering setup, but my monitoring and d/a chain is mastering quality.


Do you know if pretty much every reasonably sized electronic producer sends out their tracks for third party mastering or do many of them do it on their own?

I mean I just listen to a huge amount of electronic and many of the best producers just have this crystal clear mastering that blows my mind. Its such a black art to me and I have no idea how to get my tracks to sound that clean. I can get professional results with tracks without too much shit going on, but when I try to fit big basses and kicks into a really big track its generally a disaster.....Is it actually that difficult that everyone sends their stems to a pro or am I just a noob? I mean I often notice unsigned artist with very nice tracks and amateur/poor mastering releasing their first signed EP and it just sounding 1000% better. Is this the work of a professional studio or are they just being told how its done?
In Hungry Hungry Hippos there are no such constraints—one can constantly attempt to collect marbles with one’s hippo, limited only by one’s hippo-levering capabilities.
-Xios
Profile Joined October 2010
England79 Posts
October 15 2011 00:13 GMT
#30
On October 15 2011 09:07 FREEloss_ca wrote:
Show nested quote +
On October 15 2011 08:59 ChineseWife wrote:
lots of practice! went to school for music production & worked at a few studios. wouldnt call myself a mastering engineer, bc i dont have the cash to invest in a proper mastering setup, but my monitoring and d/a chain is mastering quality.


I'm a starving artist and can't afford to have anyone master my tracks. I can do basic EQing but I just can't get that high production quality that say, a Skrillex or Deadmau5 track would have.

How much do you charge normally? And do you have any samples of your work?


Its down to a shit ton of practice man and unless you are intending on trying to get some form of monetary gain from your works i wouldn't fork out for an M.E. just yet. I feel I learn a whole lot more about sound (and mixdowns!) when i master tracks as best I can off my own back. [ btw, bad choice on skril/mau5 ] Check out some NitGrit/16 bit or if you like more chilled shit try some Geiom maybe?

I tend not to like the main stream 'bro-step' type of hyped up, dumbed down gimmicky dubstep, sort of a total exploit of what the genre began as and where it came from culturally. meh, call me an elitist lol
Heart of the Swarm
-Xios
Profile Joined October 2010
England79 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-10-15 00:25:27
October 15 2011 00:19 GMT
#31
On October 15 2011 09:12 sob3k wrote:
Show nested quote +
On October 15 2011 08:59 ChineseWife wrote:
lots of practice! went to school for music production & worked at a few studios. wouldnt call myself a mastering engineer, bc i dont have the cash to invest in a proper mastering setup, but my monitoring and d/a chain is mastering quality.


Do you know if pretty much every reasonably sized electronic producer sends out their tracks for third party mastering or do many of them do it on their own?

I mean I just listen to a huge amount of electronic and many of the best producers just have this crystal clear mastering that blows my mind. Its such a black art to me and I have no idea how to get my tracks to sound that clean. I can get professional results with tracks without too much shit going on, but when I try to fit big basses and kicks into a really big track its generally a disaster.....Is it actually that difficult that everyone sends their stems to a pro or am I just a noob? I mean I often notice unsigned artist with very nice tracks and amateur/poor mastering releasing their first signed EP and it just sounding 1000% better. Is this the work of a professional studio or are they just being told how its done?



EQ out all of the freqs you don't need in all of your sound elements in a track, shit 'will' be clashing with very 'wide' patches, synths/basses for example. You need to carve out space for everything. I could go into it in a lot more detail, but there's been hundreds of thousands of words written on the subject over at dubstep forum/Dogs on acid.

Look into fletcher munson curves/frequency masking and the finite limitations of dealing with digital audio (clipping threshold e.t.c.). Learn about making room for your sounds in a track and learn to pay attention to the frequency content of sounds in regard to keeping the intended timbre but allowing similar elements to breath along side prominent elements.... Its a matter of frequency manipulation, stereo placements and of course the mix (amplitude). Think of those as your 3 axes (plural of axis). Its basically down to research and a lot of practice/dedication.

EDIT: Freeloss, You may also find this video series infinitely informative
Heart of the Swarm
ChineseWife
Profile Joined August 2010
United States373 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-10-15 00:30:37
October 15 2011 00:22 GMT
#32
My rates usually depend on the amount of work/time it would take me, budget of client, and scope of the project. I was getting paid minimum wage to work at a very high end studio (mostly top 40 artists), but realized it was not at all worth it, so I'm trying to freelance. $25/hour is a pretty typical rate for small studios and freelancers like me, but if its a whole project I will usually work out a flat rate for X number of tracks.

@sob3k: I would say 90% of top electronic artists have their own mixing engineers and mastering engineers that they either hire full time or send tracks to. Well I've known a few artists to hire full time engineers... If you look at the insert or the album credits you can usually find out who these people are. If you downloaded the album you can usually find the credits at a site like http://www.discogs.com/

Here's a link so some of my stuff, but it's all pretty rough/unfinished work (i get lazy with my own music xD):

http://soundcloud.com/fortiesforeigners

@freeloss_ca: Mastering completely depends on the quality of the mix, and if you have to opportunity to EQ something before mastering, you are always better off doing that. Same thing applies to compression and levels. You never want to fix a mix in the mastering stage unless you have access to the stems of the track
Oops I made no units
BMF-Showtime
Profile Joined April 2011
United States9 Posts
October 15 2011 00:23 GMT
#33
I thought this thread on how to make fish at first. epic fail on me
It's Showtime!
turdburgler
Profile Blog Joined January 2011
England6749 Posts
October 15 2011 00:28 GMT
#34
On October 15 2011 09:23 BMF-Showtime wrote:
I thought this thread on how to make fish at first. epic fail on me


me too
Kuja
Profile Blog Joined May 2011
United States1759 Posts
October 15 2011 00:30 GMT
#35
ive always wondered how they make the sounds they make, enlightening. Thanks.
“Who's to say that my light is better than your darkness? Who's to say death is better than your darkness? Who am I to say?”
-Xios
Profile Joined October 2010
England79 Posts
October 15 2011 00:32 GMT
#36
On October 15 2011 09:22 ChineseWife wrote:
@freeloss_ca mastering completely depends on the quality of the mix, and if you have to opportunity to EQ something before mastering, you are always better off doing that. Same thing applies to compression and levels. You never want to fix a mix in the mastering stage unless you have access to the stems of the track



Yip, Freeloss, mastering is more about getting the tune up to peak amplitude without clipping distortion and shaping things to get that serious sheen on things. Mixing is much more about creating the vibe by using compression/adding auxilleries/adjusting levels, anything the track needs really beyond the basic melodic content and actual musical content of the track (tracking in a studio/composition in a DAW). Mixing is the next step, giving it the embellishment it needs to reach fruitition. Finally mastering is the stage you add the real sheen and refine it into a truly finished product. Mastering is the hardest in it own ways but also the most technical/non 'musical' in a lot of respects. Mixing, at least afaict, is where that 'crispness and sheen/fullness is created (on top of the actual track its self of course, but these things are becoming much more entwined anyway).
Heart of the Swarm
FREEloss_ca
Profile Blog Joined December 2008
Canada603 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-10-15 01:00:48
October 15 2011 00:33 GMT
#37
That's one of the reasons I have so much respect for Deadmau5 as a producer; he's one of few artists who does all the work on their own tracks; the only person that ever touches a mau5 track is the mau5 himself.

I guess I just need to get better at EQing and mixing everything down. I'm using ableton so I'm primarily using Ableton's EQEight and Compressor. I understand EQing but have no clue how to properly utilize the compressor.

Is it good to put a waveform on the master channel and look at what's too high and too low and try to get it all leveled?
"Starcraft...It just echos brilliance and manliness." - Tasteless
ChineseWife
Profile Joined August 2010
United States373 Posts
October 15 2011 00:39 GMT
#38
Deadmau5 is not a mastering engineer, however. His tracks sound like garbage, but are very loud lol, so I guess he is successful in that regard.
Oops I made no units
sob3k
Profile Blog Joined August 2009
United States7572 Posts
October 15 2011 00:44 GMT
#39
On October 15 2011 09:22 ChineseWife wrote:
My rates usually depend on the amount of work/time it would take me, budget of client, and scope of the project. I was getting paid minimum wage to work at a very high end studio (mostly top 40 artists), but realized it was not at all worth it, so I'm trying to freelance. $25/hour is a pretty typical rate for small studios and freelancers like me, but if its a whole project I will usually work out a flat rate for X number of tracks.

@sob3k: I would say 90% of top electronic artists have their own mixing engineers and mastering engineers that they either hire full time or send tracks to. Well I've known a few artists to hire full time engineers... If you look at the insert or the album credits you can usually find out who these people are. If you downloaded the album you can usually find the credits at a site like http://www.discogs.com/

Here's a link so some of my stuff, but it's all pretty rough/unfinished work (i get lazy with my own music xD):

http://soundcloud.com/fortiesforeigners

@freeloss_ca: Mastering completely depends on the quality of the mix, and if you have to opportunity to EQ something before mastering, you are always better off doing that. Same thing applies to compression and levels. You never want to fix a mix in the mastering stage unless you have access to the stems of the track


Damn, that sounds so clean, that's what I'm talking about. I REALLLY want to learn how to do that.

People always say to EQ everything but I have never had any success with EQ, whenever I get a nice clean full sound and try to cut out some frequancies to make room for kicks or whatnot It sounds like exactly that...I'm cutting out a bunch of frequencies. I get left with all these instruments that sound like they are coming out of a cardboard box, no matter how slight the EQ. I just resort to handmaking each synth and testing it constantly to get one that just happens to fit in the mix ok. Anyone have any tips? Like I'll make these really awesome basses with nice snap and be completely unable to fit a lead or melody over them because of the high freq in the bass....If I reduce them the bass just sounds flat and fake...
In Hungry Hungry Hippos there are no such constraints—one can constantly attempt to collect marbles with one’s hippo, limited only by one’s hippo-levering capabilities.
kef
Profile Joined September 2010
283 Posts
October 15 2011 00:57 GMT
#40
This thread is awesome! I wish I had something like this back in High School Media Tech and had free access to Reason 2-3 hours a day.
There are two kinds of people in this world: people who say there are two kinds of people in the world and people who know the first group of people are full of shit.
Prev 1 2 3 4 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Big Brain Bouts
19:00
#129
Rex vs INexorable
GgMaChine vs HeRoMaRinE
Reynor vs herO
RotterdaM576
IndyStarCraft 144
Liquipedia
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
RotterdaM 576
Lowko370
IndyStarCraft 144
MindelVK 13
StarCraft: Brood War
Free 4998
Stork 2087
Horang2 508
Jaedong 480
Soulkey 394
BeSt 352
Mini 255
Larva 240
Soma 239
Zeus 226
[ Show more ]
Last 124
sorry 114
Mind 94
ZerO 83
Pusan 82
Hyun 76
Sexy 46
Shinee 33
soO 31
ajuk12(nOOB) 18
scan(afreeca) 17
Sacsri 14
zelot 10
yabsab 6
Britney 1
Dota 2
Gorgc3884
XcaliburYe220
XaKoH 197
canceldota55
Counter-Strike
byalli617
Other Games
gofns34210
singsing1976
Coldzera 690
Happy387
Pyrionflax218
B2W.Neo120
ZerO(Twitch)7
Organizations
Other Games
BasetradeTV206
[ Show 16 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• LUISG 25
• StrangeGG 22
• Light_VIP 6
• Adnapsc2 2
• Gemini_19 2
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• WagamamaTV345
• lizZardDota2205
League of Legends
• Jankos3488
Upcoming Events
Online Event
59m
AI Arena Tournament
5h 59m
BSL: Ladder Tournament
7h 59m
Sparkling Tuna Cup
22h 59m
Patches Events
1d 3h
BSL Open Qualifier
1d 7h
BSL Open Qualifier
1d 7h
OSC
2 days
WardiTV Weekly
2 days
PiGosaur Cup
3 days
[ Show More ]
The PondCast
4 days
Online Event
5 days
Korean StarCraft League
6 days
Afreeca Starleague
6 days
Rush vs Soulkey
CranKy Ducklings
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
HCC Season 3
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.