• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 06:57
CEST 12:57
KST 19:57
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
5.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 202617Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)78Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2
StarCraft 2
General
5.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 2026 [Old] StarCraft 3 Reportedly in Development StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)
Tourneys
RSL 2026 Offline Finals LCQ Sign-Ups Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) ISSL (IntoTheTV x SOOP SC2 League): Premier Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
Fantasy returning? GG Lan Fest Sofia, Bulgaria [this November] Sagi.gg Launcher Released ASL22 General Discussion BGH Auto Balance -> http://bghmmr.eu/
Tourneys
[Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Semifinal A [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Simple Questions, Simple Answers Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do?
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Canadian Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
[Manga] One Piece Movie Discussion! Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 7734 users

[HowTo] Make Sick Bass - Page 3

Forum Index > General Forum
Post a Reply
Prev 1 2 3 4 Next All
-Xios
Profile Joined October 2010
England79 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-10-15 01:09:51
October 15 2011 01:04 GMT
#41
On October 15 2011 09:33 FREEloss_ca wrote:

Is it good to put a waveform on the master channel and look at what's too high and too low and try to get it all leveled?


IXL do an analysis suite, one of the utilities is a spectrum analyzer which allows you to visually see the frequency content and relative decibel for each frequency band of a sound.

As for EQing. Different EQs tend to give different flavours to a sound. If you ever manage to, check out Wave's 'SSL' range, the SSL EQ vst has a gorgeous warm sound to it. On the other hand Neodynium do a great linear phase EQ and Fabfilter's PRO Q has a very clean sound analogous to how a filter sounds, very transparent.

As for EQing things making them sound weak. Find the prominent harmonics of that sound and make sure you're not cutting them. If a bass patch sound nice because of the highs, don't use a high pad/lead as a harmony for that part of the track, write a riff, but bring it in in a verse/bridge e.t.c. There are certain things you can't get around with sound. Listen very carefully to good tracks, you'll notice that this nature applies. That is, only when frequencies can be removed from a sound still for it to retain its character will layered sounds be used. Benga's 26 basslines is a good example of this. pay close attention to the sonic content of sounds, notice things are only layered in the middle of the register when its 'applicable'.

As important as EQ and compression is choosing the right sounds. If they don't complement eachother, no amount of precessing will get them too. Thats an extremely important rule, and what you're experiencing is an effect of this not happening and what you're trying to do is remove frequencies essential to certain sounds as an attempt at fixing something thats route cause isn't essentially something that 'can' be fixed with EQing, as you're loosing the nature of one or both of the sounds in the process. Try panning/reverb e.t.c. to place the sounds at different areas of the stereo field and further worward or backward in the mix. Also try the 'cut and boost technique.'. By slightly cutting the freqs of one sound and boosting the same area of another sound that's having trouble cutting through. You can do the same thing with basic relative amplitudes when you learn enough about frequency masking and pay attention to the specific harmonics of the sounds in question.

Its a game of balance and compromise. On one hand a sound may have a certain initial vibe, but getting it to sit in the mix will almost always alter it. try and hear the sound after the cuts/processing objectively and see if it still 'works' had you not heard it in its original state. On the other hand, pick and chose when you layer different sounds and when you don't. Either way works as well, music is more about the motifes and the 'hook', the timbre usually comes in second, adding to the flavour rather than defining it.

EDIT: Added/extended some to the body of the post.
Heart of the Swarm
Special Endrey
Profile Joined June 2010
Germany1929 Posts
October 15 2011 01:12 GMT
#42
awesome OP i hope it rewards you right
This signature is ruining eSports - -Twitter: @SpecialEndrey
BnK
Profile Blog Joined July 2010
United States538 Posts
October 15 2011 01:15 GMT
#43
Teamliquid, the second Encyclopedia.

Seriously, like I can find everything from TL.
yarkO
Profile Blog Joined September 2009
Canada810 Posts
October 15 2011 01:20 GMT
#44
deadmaus sucks

User was temp banned for this post.
When you are prepared, there's no such thing as pressure.
-Xios
Profile Joined October 2010
England79 Posts
October 15 2011 01:26 GMT
#45
On October 15 2011 10:20 yarkO wrote:
deadmaus sucks



XD I second that notion, this is real dubstep
Heart of the Swarm
sob3k
Profile Blog Joined August 2009
United States7572 Posts
October 15 2011 01:36 GMT
#46
On October 15 2011 10:26 -Xios wrote:
Show nested quote +
On October 15 2011 10:20 yarkO wrote:
deadmaus sucks



XD I second that notion, this is real dubstep


Seriously guys...lets just pretend we never even started in that direction...
In Hungry Hungry Hippos there are no such constraints—one can constantly attempt to collect marbles with one’s hippo, limited only by one’s hippo-levering capabilities.
TheGlassface
Profile Joined November 2010
United States612 Posts
October 15 2011 01:43 GMT
#47
wow cool thanks dude.
The mystery of life is not a problem to solve, but a reality to experience. **Hang in there STX fans!! Kal Hwaiting!**
Karthane
Profile Joined June 2010
United States1183 Posts
October 15 2011 01:44 GMT
#48
On October 15 2011 10:26 -Xios wrote:
Show nested quote +
On October 15 2011 10:20 yarkO wrote:
deadmaus sucks



XD I second that notion, this is real dubstep


The funny thing is that Deadmau5 doesn't claim to be a dubstep artist. If anything he is house
ChineseWife
Profile Joined August 2010
United States373 Posts
October 15 2011 01:46 GMT
#49
Honestly, I've never seen any professional audio engineers whip out a spectral analyzer unless something was seriously wrong with the sound. You gotta use your ears and relying on data like that won't really help you at all. I actually use very little EQ when I'm making electronic music, because I pick sounds that work well together as I make a track. Having a good monitoring chain makes all the difference! :D good thread
Oops I made no units
LambtrOn
Profile Blog Joined September 2010
United States671 Posts
October 15 2011 01:54 GMT
#50
I love you.Thank you.
DaCruise
Profile Joined July 2010
Denmark2457 Posts
October 15 2011 02:05 GMT
#51
Funny how this topic pops up just when I finally decided to start messing around with electronic music. I am just wondering whether I should get FL or cubase. Some say that FL is slightly more user friendly but cubase has more potential and most pro´s use cubase.
I am not planning on making dubstep though. I hope to make trance and psytrance.
Probe1
Profile Blog Joined August 2010
United States17920 Posts
October 15 2011 02:08 GMT
#52
Fuckin way cool. Thanks for this!
우정호 KT_VIOLET 1988 - 2012 While we are postponing, life speeds by
ChineseWife
Profile Joined August 2010
United States373 Posts
October 15 2011 02:22 GMT
#53
Ableton live is my shit
Oops I made no units
-ty[r]ant
Profile Joined January 2010
United States140 Posts
October 15 2011 04:38 GMT
#54
Wish this were reddit so I could upvote you bro, this is awesome
"Yo guys I got this new technique where I enter a preschool and knee a bunch of kids in the face. Nobody there has managed to stop me yet." - Bibbit
hugedong
Profile Joined June 2010
United States510 Posts
October 15 2011 05:09 GMT
#55
On October 15 2011 10:46 ChineseWife wrote:
Honestly, I've never seen any professional audio engineers whip out a spectral analyzer unless something was seriously wrong with the sound. You gotta use your ears and relying on data like that won't really help you at all. I actually use very little EQ when I'm making electronic music, because I pick sounds that work well together as I make a track. Having a good monitoring chain makes all the difference! :D good thread

Thing is the average bedroom producer won't have a professionally treated room with expensive monitors. They won't be able hear the little things, and an analyzer can really help you figure out what to emphasize in the mix to make everything fit.
ChineseWife
Profile Joined August 2010
United States373 Posts
October 15 2011 05:18 GMT
#56
Honestly you can do a lot without having to use an analyzer, if you're willing to invest in some decent monitoring. I worked off of a pair of $400 monitors (that I bought used for $150) for almost 2 years in my bedroom and my mixes translated decently. Upgrading to some real high end monitors tho, I've noticed a tremendous difference in the quality of my material. I would say for anyone looking to make electronic music, get yourselves some decent speakers. I have friends and I've known famous hip-hop producers to use KRK Rokit's and those are pretty cheap
Oops I made no units
GGitsJack
Profile Blog Joined June 2010
New Zealand426 Posts
October 15 2011 06:54 GMT
#57
Ideas of band called "Sick Bass" playing some sick bass, whos up?
"A reason becomes an excuse if you don't do anything about it."
SeeDLiNg
Profile Joined January 2010
United States690 Posts
October 15 2011 07:06 GMT
#58
I read this as How to make your boss sick... "Make Sick Boss"

NO WAY I CAN SIT AT WORK ALL DAY WITH NO SUPERVISOR TL HERE I COME!

son... I am disappoint.
FREEloss_ca
Profile Blog Joined December 2008
Canada603 Posts
October 15 2011 07:33 GMT
#59
Here's a thread I started a while ago:
http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=243426

Where were you people then! Thanks for the knowledge.
"Starcraft...It just echos brilliance and manliness." - Tasteless
hugedong
Profile Joined June 2010
United States510 Posts
October 15 2011 18:31 GMT
#60
On October 15 2011 08:39 sob3k wrote:
Show nested quote +
On October 15 2011 08:22 FREEloss_ca wrote:
On October 15 2011 08:06 ChineseWife wrote:
cool guide! as an audio engineer and electronic music producer, i approve! I also like the fabfilter stuff, really quality.


If I send you some of my ableton files can you master them for me pretty please?

Nice guide! My biggest issue with Massive (and synths for that matter) is Voicing. I don't really understand what's going on there, or what the difference is between monorotate, monophone, etc.


No clue what monorotate does...Sounds the same as Mono to me in all my experiments.

Poly vs monophonic is just how many notes/tones the synth will play at the same time, if you wanna play chords then you will have to use poly, if you want to glide between stacked notes you want mono. Also pretty much all bass should be made while set to monophonic with only one voice, otherwise you can get destructive interference when you have filters going...I've had it happen before I knew what was up, makes all your bass disappear occasionally and is really F-in annoying.

That's called phasing, where certain frequencies cancel each other out. Look up linear-phase eq and filters.
Prev 1 2 3 4 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 12h 3m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
Lowko217
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 32601
Calm 4877
Rain 2482
Bisu 1039
Hyuk 1023
FanTaSy 710
Jaedong 437
Soma 323
Horang2 322
Rush 295
[ Show more ]
BeSt 253
Zeus 248
Stork 216
Mong 167
Larva 118
ZerO 111
Mini 102
Light 78
Pusan 75
Mind 74
Barracks 49
910 48
ToSsGirL 47
Snow 42
Sexy 36
Shinee 34
Killer 33
NaDa 32
Free 22
sorry 18
Hm[arnc] 16
Noble 13
Terrorterran 9
sSak 7
Sacsri 6
Dota 2
Gorgc5624
Counter-Strike
olofmeister1201
byalli925
shoxiejesuss650
Super Smash Bros
Mew2King77
Other Games
gofns41279
singsing1657
dupreeh340
crisheroes305
B2W.Neo67
ZerO(Twitch)6
[ Show 12 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• iopq 7
• FirePhoenix6
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
League of Legends
• Jankos2169
Other Games
• WagamamaTV109
Upcoming Events
OSC
12h 3m
Big Brain Bouts
23h 3m
Rex vs INexorable
GgMaChine vs HeRoMaRinE
Reynor vs herO
AI Arena Tournament
1d 6h
BSL: Ladder Tournament
1d 8h
Sparkling Tuna Cup
1d 23h
Patches Events
2 days
BSL Open Qualifier
2 days
BSL Open Qualifier
2 days
WardiTV Weekly
4 days
PiGosaur Cup
4 days
[ Show More ]
The PondCast
5 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-10-08
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
HCC Season 3
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.