• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 02:11
CEST 08:11
KST 15:11
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)75Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4) SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup Back to SC2 after 14 years - Protoss CTRL groups?
Tourneys
ISSL (IntoTheTV x SOOP SC2 League): Premier Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond)
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
Sagi.gg Launcher Released 20-year-old Valorant player starting StarCraft Bot on ladder BGH Auto Balance -> http://bghmmr.eu/ Fantasy returning?
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers
Other Games
General Games
General RTS Discussion Thread Nintendo Switch Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Dating: How's your luck? Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 8966 users

"Something Deeply Wrong with Chemistry" - Page 5

Forum Index > General Forum
Post a Reply
Prev 1 2 3 4 5 All
miseiler
Profile Blog Joined October 2008
United States1389 Posts
July 26 2010 14:01 GMT
#81
I'm a bit surprised at some of the responses in this thread. I work all day and weekends because I want to do it. If I didn't, I wouldn't be slaving away at a PhD making less than enough to live with no light at the end of the tunnel.

Industry work is not interesting. I do grad work (and will continue in academia) because I like it. I do the research I want to on the projects I am interested in.

That kind of freedom comes at a very, very steep price. If you don't want to pay it, you do not have the right to complain.
"Jinro soo manly wearing only a T-Shirt while the Koreans freeze in their jackets" -- Double_O
"He's from Sweden, man. We have to fight polar bears on our way to school." -- Yusername
Rev0lution
Profile Blog Joined August 2007
United States1805 Posts
July 26 2010 14:14 GMT
#82
Not all post docs work as hard as that guy in Cal Tech.

I volunteer in a organic lab, the post doc works from 10AM-7pm most days, sometimes he leaves at 9pm but that happens rarely.

Grad students don't have it as hard as post docs, it all depends on your PI. The PI in the letter sounds like a real asshole.
My dealer is my best friend, and we don't even chill.
threehundred
Profile Joined July 2009
Canada911 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-07-26 15:38:55
July 26 2010 15:38 GMT
#83
On July 23 2010 04:46 semantics wrote:
You're not tring to paint a dim picture of academia but this thread is
http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=125572


Also in light of this saying that universities train twice as many PhDs as there are jobs for them... whatever.. I believe that just like music artists, you need a marketable feature / talent / ambition to be taken seriously by the real people that make the world go round (investors/companies) to actually do any 'damage'.

Until you actually garner enough support/resources/money then you can actually proceed in specific 'world changing' endeavors. (Or if you can find a company that already does that and get hired that is)

That's what is really DIM imo if you want to change the world.
KimTaeyeon MEDIC MU fighting! ^^;;
threehundred
Profile Joined July 2009
Canada911 Posts
July 26 2010 15:40 GMT
#84
On July 26 2010 23:01 miseiler wrote:
I'm a bit surprised at some of the responses in this thread. I work all day and weekends because I want to do it. If I didn't, I wouldn't be slaving away at a PhD making less than enough to live with no light at the end of the tunnel.

Industry work is not interesting. I do grad work (and will continue in academia) because I like it. I do the research I want to on the projects I am interested in.

That kind of freedom comes at a very, very steep price. If you don't want to pay it, you do not have the right to complain.

KimTaeyeon MEDIC MU fighting! ^^;;
sikyon
Profile Joined June 2010
Canada1045 Posts
July 26 2010 16:52 GMT
#85
I think that anyone who does a engineering or science phd is smart enough to know that a phd is not the way to quick money and easy work. We do it because we like doing the work. If you don't like it enough to work long hours discovering new things, you probably shouldn't be doing a phd.

However, there is a difference between wanting to work those extra hours and being forced to work those extra hours. Personally, I set targets for my research. If I meet them ahead of schedaule, I can slow down abit. If I am late on them, I will work more.

So it's true that the OP needs to be taken in context. If the postdoc is getting great results but only working "regular" hours most of the time then the prof has a serious problem. If the postdoc should really be putting more time into his research but has just been ditching... he might want to reconsider his career choice.
Blanke
Profile Joined April 2010
Canada180 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-07-26 20:42:28
July 26 2010 20:41 GMT
#86
"Something is rotten in the state of Chemistry."

Sorry, I couldn't resist.
We avoid risks in life to arrive safely at death.
EndlessRain
Profile Joined July 2009
140 Posts
July 26 2010 20:56 GMT
#87
I respect anyone who is passionate about science to go get a PhD. Im an undergrad working in a lab and I would rather kill myself then do grad school.
iheartkorea
bburn
Profile Joined September 2004
United States1039 Posts
August 08 2010 21:39 GMT
#88
I believe the main problem with academia these days is the growing use of adjunct professors. Rather than higher professors on a ten-year track many colleges and universities are offering up a bunch of adjunct positions. Thus the goal of becoming a professor with ten year is that much more challenging. This problem is not unique to the sciences but seems to be pretty common regardless of major.
banana[AfO]
NonY
Profile Blog Joined June 2007
8751 Posts
August 08 2010 22:29 GMT
#89
On July 26 2010 23:01 miseiler wrote:
I'm a bit surprised at some of the responses in this thread. I work all day and weekends because I want to do it. If I didn't, I wouldn't be slaving away at a PhD making less than enough to live with no light at the end of the tunnel.

Industry work is not interesting. I do grad work (and will continue in academia) because I like it. I do the research I want to on the projects I am interested in.

That kind of freedom comes at a very, very steep price. If you don't want to pay it, you do not have the right to complain.


Attitudes like yours are the reason why the system continues to survive. You provided an explanation for the way it is, but not an argument supporting the way it is. There's no justification for the system being the way it is. Those working conditions just suck. And science is probably worse off because of it since talented people have incentive to take other paths.

So yeah, it's understandable that people do it. But people who don't want to do it, or did it and quit, haven't lost their right to judge it.

Ideally, all jobs would have perfect working conditions. I can't think of a reason why someone would disagree with that. So, all PhD students should have perfect working conditions. Any outsider can see that the working conditions aren't perfect. So they complain that the working conditions aren't perfect. It does not matter that some PhD students have perfect working conditions, or that some PhD students have tolerable working conditions, or even that all PhD students think that the working conditions are worth it and are satisfied. The fact is still that the working conditions are less than perfect so they should be improved to the greatest extent possible.
"Fucking up is part of it. If you can't fail, you have to always win. And I don't think you can always win." Elliott Smith ---------- Yet no sudden rage darkened his face, and his eyes were calm as they studied her. Then he smiled. 'Witness.'
gdroxor
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
United States639 Posts
August 09 2010 02:56 GMT
#90
tbh the only reason that student/postdoc research is so damn time-consuming is because of how competitive the sciences are in the United States. The people you work for while doing graduate research are for the most part hypercompetitive, backstabbing, Machiavellian, draconic assholes who want nothing more than to have that next breakthrough research, even if that means undercutting someone else to get it. They are motivated to get the research done as fast and efficiently as possible, even if you aren't.

That being said, I plan to pursue medical training after undergraduate, research is just too sixth-grade drama with multimillion dollar equipment for me.
javy_
Profile Joined July 2010
United States1677 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-08-09 03:20:22
August 09 2010 03:18 GMT
#91
On August 09 2010 11:56 gdroxor wrote:
tbh the only reason that student/postdoc research is so damn time-consuming is because of how competitive the sciences are in the United States. The people you work for while doing graduate research are for the most part hypercompetitive, backstabbing, Machiavellian, draconic assholes who want nothing more than to have that next breakthrough research, even if that means undercutting someone else to get it. They are motivated to get the research done as fast and efficiently as possible, even if you aren't.

That being said, I plan to pursue medical training after undergraduate, research is just too sixth-grade drama with multimillion dollar equipment for me.


This is the position I'm in right now. There are far too many people who are willing to backstab someone if it means they further their own career, even if it is by the smallest bit. I may end up doing medicine after undergrad instead of going towards research.
♪~( ̄。 ̄)
duckett
Profile Blog Joined June 2009
United States589 Posts
August 09 2010 05:20 GMT
#92
On August 09 2010 11:56 gdroxor wrote:
tbh the only reason that student/postdoc research is so damn time-consuming is because of how competitive the sciences are in the United States. The people you work for while doing graduate research are for the most part hypercompetitive, backstabbing, Machiavellian, draconic assholes who want nothing more than to have that next breakthrough research, even if that means undercutting someone else to get it. They are motivated to get the research done as fast and efficiently as possible, even if you aren't.

That being said, I plan to pursue medical training after undergraduate, research is just too sixth-grade drama with multimillion dollar equipment for me.

really don't understand this attitude. i thought it was a generally understood fact that medical training is much more intense and competitive than graduate school (for those who enjoy doing science).

and though i've only worked at 2 labs the people i've worked with were just stellar human beings who really cared about how everyone was doing personally and did their work in their very specific niche of basic science without complaining or attacking others
funky squaredance funky squaredance funky squaredance
necros
Profile Blog Joined July 2008
United States85 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-08-09 05:58:08
August 09 2010 05:45 GMT
#93
I know If I was going to cal-tech I would be working my ass off and doing whatever I can to get ahead and get to know the professor.

If you are going to cal-tech, you obviously have a brain in your head, use it! SO obvious.
sc2 yay!
sikyon
Profile Joined June 2010
Canada1045 Posts
August 10 2010 13:45 GMT
#94
On August 09 2010 07:29 Liquid`Tyler wrote:
Show nested quote +
On July 26 2010 23:01 miseiler wrote:
I'm a bit surprised at some of the responses in this thread. I work all day and weekends because I want to do it. If I didn't, I wouldn't be slaving away at a PhD making less than enough to live with no light at the end of the tunnel.

Industry work is not interesting. I do grad work (and will continue in academia) because I like it. I do the research I want to on the projects I am interested in.

That kind of freedom comes at a very, very steep price. If you don't want to pay it, you do not have the right to complain.


Attitudes like yours are the reason why the system continues to survive. You provided an explanation for the way it is, but not an argument supporting the way it is. There's no justification for the system being the way it is. Those working conditions just suck. And science is probably worse off because of it since talented people have incentive to take other paths.

So yeah, it's understandable that people do it. But people who don't want to do it, or did it and quit, haven't lost their right to judge it.

Ideally, all jobs would have perfect working conditions. I can't think of a reason why someone would disagree with that. So, all PhD students should have perfect working conditions. Any outsider can see that the working conditions aren't perfect. So they complain that the working conditions aren't perfect. It does not matter that some PhD students have perfect working conditions, or that some PhD students have tolerable working conditions, or even that all PhD students think that the working conditions are worth it and are satisfied. The fact is still that the working conditions are less than perfect so they should be improved to the greatest extent possible.


No, the reason the system continues to survive is because there is limited money for these positions and therefore competition is extremly heavy. I don't know what a perfect working condition is to you but it varies from job to job.
Ethelis
Profile Blog Joined September 2008
United States2400 Posts
August 10 2010 13:52 GMT
#95
On August 10 2010 22:45 sikyon wrote:
Show nested quote +
On August 09 2010 07:29 Liquid`Tyler wrote:
On July 26 2010 23:01 miseiler wrote:
I'm a bit surprised at some of the responses in this thread. I work all day and weekends because I want to do it. If I didn't, I wouldn't be slaving away at a PhD making less than enough to live with no light at the end of the tunnel.

Industry work is not interesting. I do grad work (and will continue in academia) because I like it. I do the research I want to on the projects I am interested in.

That kind of freedom comes at a very, very steep price. If you don't want to pay it, you do not have the right to complain.


Attitudes like yours are the reason why the system continues to survive. You provided an explanation for the way it is, but not an argument supporting the way it is. There's no justification for the system being the way it is. Those working conditions just suck. And science is probably worse off because of it since talented people have incentive to take other paths.

So yeah, it's understandable that people do it. But people who don't want to do it, or did it and quit, haven't lost their right to judge it.

Ideally, all jobs would have perfect working conditions. I can't think of a reason why someone would disagree with that. So, all PhD students should have perfect working conditions. Any outsider can see that the working conditions aren't perfect. So they complain that the working conditions aren't perfect. It does not matter that some PhD students have perfect working conditions, or that some PhD students have tolerable working conditions, or even that all PhD students think that the working conditions are worth it and are satisfied. The fact is still that the working conditions are less than perfect so they should be improved to the greatest extent possible.


No, the reason the system continues to survive is because there is limited money for these positions and therefore competition is extremly heavy. I don't know what a perfect working condition is to you but it varies from job to job.


Wait, he implied that a working perfect condition is the same for all jobs?
Disabled gamer - Diamond 3 (LoL) D+ Rank scrublord on BW. Bisu doesnt need DTs, He uses probes. just ask Flash.
Ghostcom
Profile Joined March 2010
Denmark4783 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-08-10 14:01:20
August 10 2010 13:57 GMT
#96
Just to clear up a general misunderstanding - medicine IS science... Stop talking about it like was some sort of bogus or lesser science. And if you want to do make a career in the university world, it requires the same or even more backstabbing as other scientific fields; so turning towards medicine for an easier time is going to leave you disappointed.

EDIT: just realised that I might've misunderstood what someone was saying about "go doing medicine" as he/she/it probably meant partake in the manufactoring in a private corp. - if that was the case, my apologies for the above and you are right; it is less competetive. Just gotten pretty tired of people talking about medicine as a lesser science than chemistry, math or physics.
tiffany
Profile Joined November 2003
3664 Posts
August 10 2010 14:50 GMT
#97
no, people talking about going into medicine after undergrad are not referring to working in the pharma or biotech. they mean they want to get an MD. but as someone already pointed out, medical school and the immediate years that follow are even more cutthroat than graduate school :shrug:
Prev 1 2 3 4 5 All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 4h 49m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
Nina 119
StarCraft: Brood War
Rain 2247
GuemChi 697
Leta 132
Bale 31
ajuk12(nOOB) 24
Noble 14
Icarus 10
Dota 2
febbydoto18
League of Legends
JimRising 613
Super Smash Bros
Mew2King171
Other Games
summit1g7033
C9.Mang0244
Sick152
ViBE92
Happy74
Trikslyr30
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick483
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream40
[ Show 15 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Letter147
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• killerbeecast0
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• Azhi_Dahaki22
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• lizZardDota2182
League of Legends
• Lourlo1290
• Stunt464
Other Games
• Shiphtur502
Upcoming Events
Kung Fu Cup
4h 49m
Patches Events
9h 49m
The PondCast
1d 3h
INu's Battles
1d 4h
Percival vs SHIN
Zoun vs herO
OSC
1d 16h
Replay Cast
1d 16h
OSC
2 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
3 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
4 days
Patches Events
4 days
[ Show More ]
BSL Open Qualifier
4 days
BSL Open Qualifier
4 days
WardiTV Weekly
6 days
PiGosaur Cup
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
HCC Season 3
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.