• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 12:11
CEST 18:11
KST 01:11
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror6[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
Rollback Netcode in Brood War645.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 202621Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)78
StarCraft 2
General
5.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 2026 [Old] StarCraft 3 Reportedly in Development StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)
Tourneys
RSL 2026 Offline Finals LCQ Sign-Ups $3,500 WardiTV Not-Summer Championship ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) ISSL (IntoTheTV x SOOP SC2 League): Premier
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
Sagi.gg Launcher Released ChatGPT cheats at StarSkirmish SCAI tournament Rollback Netcode in Brood War BW General Discussion TL Sidebar missing streams
Tourneys
[Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Semifinal A [ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Simple Questions, Simple Answers Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do?
Other Games
General Games
Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25!
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
[Manga] One Piece Movie Discussion! Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread TeamLiquid Health and Fitness Initiative For 2023 MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 11853 users

Ipad, is it worth buying? - Page 22

Forum Index > General Forum
Post a Reply
Prev 1 20 21 22 23 Next All
FragKrag
Profile Blog Joined September 2007
United States11567 Posts
April 21 2010 03:13 GMT
#421
Uh, Tegra is just an nvidia combination of what is normally on a motherboard along with an ARM cpu...
*TL CJ Entusman #40* "like scissors does anything to paper except MAKE IT MORE NUMEROUS" -paper
Ecael
Profile Joined February 2008
United States6703 Posts
April 21 2010 03:15 GMT
#422
On April 21 2010 12:13 FragKrag wrote:
Uh, Tegra is just an nvidia combination of what is normally on a motherboard along with an ARM cpu...

That in response to me? I meant that 'within the confines of ARM, Tegra was an option'.
VManOfMana
Profile Blog Joined December 2008
United States764 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-04-21 06:12:57
April 21 2010 06:04 GMT
#423
On April 21 2010 11:53 synapse wrote:
- I am specifically referring to Adobe flash. Looking back at the slate-tablet computers, nearly all of them have flash. Not supporting flash was probably Apple's biggest mistake in the making of the iPad (besides the concept itself). All flash-based games, video-streaming and video hosting websites, as well as flash based (graphics-heavy) websites will not work on the iPad. Most of the multimedia applications used on Macs have no iPad counterparts - for example, Garageband.


"nearly all" sounds like hyperbole to me.

Realistically speaking, only Windows slates got a reliable implementation of Flash. Outside of that, official support is lackluster. 10.1 is not out yet, and Adobe has been promising Flash for mobile devices for at least a year.

If you ask me, Apple not supporting Flash in the iPhone nor the iPad is one of their best decisions. For Apple, it means that their software stack does not rely on a component made by a third party with a horrible record of support and performance outside of Windows. As a user, I appreciate not having to deal with unreliable software as a core component, even if its the only way to access certain content.

But the real impact is that as the iPod and iPad become more popular—and the lack of Flash support has not proven to be a long-term problem— Flash becomes less ubiquitous. As Flash becomes less ubiquitous, the faster alternative technologies will be supported and evolve. HTML5 video and canvas still cannot do everything Flash does, but they are gaining momentum.

There already is a shift. Major Flash game providers are porting their games on the iPhone. Youtube, Vimeo, Netflix, Hulu, major news networks, etc. already support or are working on alternatives for video delivery. The fact that something is delivered via Flash on your PC no longer means that it is unsupported on devices without Flash. This is a good thing for consumers, regardless of Apple's motivations to not support Flash. And all this was largely jumpstarted by the iPhone.


- (I'm not sure where you got the "Directed towards idiots" quote from ...) I never said I agreed with the statement, I only stated that the fact that Apple products feature much simpler interfaces led to people considering Mac users as "stupid."


As a software developer, I consider this point of view extremely ironic. Straightforward does not mean simple, and a lot of buttons on the screen does not mean "for advanced users". Designing user interfaces is hard. Designing good user interfaces is *HARD*. Creating a good application workflow without flooding the application with buttons is *HARD*. And "advanced" users cannot see this? When it comes to well-thought, well-designed, "get stuff done" user interfaces, Apple is top notch. That's where my respect for Apple's software development comes from.

The iPhone's user interface was revolutionary, as it changed the perception of how a mobile computer/smartphone is expected to work. Apple is moving the same paradigm with the iPad, and like it or not, it will shape the direction of user interaction for these devices.
Woo Jung Ho, FIGHTING! | "With the death of BW comes the death of an idea. And that idea, held by many BW fans, was that a computer game could actually outlive the Next New Game cycle. And to some extent it did." -Falling
0neder
Profile Joined July 2009
United States3733 Posts
April 21 2010 06:07 GMT
#424
^ This man knows what's up.
PikaFoO
Profile Joined April 2010
Australia38 Posts
April 21 2010 06:27 GMT
#425
I think; the Ipad will be a better purchase once later iterations release
-Break my heart for what breaks yours;
Jayme
Profile Blog Joined February 2009
United States5866 Posts
April 21 2010 06:28 GMT
#426
On April 21 2010 15:07 0neder wrote:
^ This man knows what's up.


Sounds like regurgitated crap to me.

I don't think that the Iphone's interface had much to do with it's popularity. It was simply the first real smart phone to come out.

There are plenty of phones out now that do it better and I've subsequently seen a sharp drop in the iphone saturation. I see more and more people with Droids/Pre's/HTC's now than I do with Iphones because those devices are just you know...better... and now that specifically Android and Palm are starting to have huge app markets Apple no longer has the strangle hold it once had on the smart phone market.

That being said the Iphone was a good product and I understand why people wanted to have one.

I don't understand what the hell people would get an iPad for. It's a giant iPhone that you know...doesn't call. It is simply not a practical device. The Microsoft Surface demonstration is a practical device, the iPad is a netbook without simple features like...a USB drive. Typing on the iPad is a test in frustration and even my girlfriend who is a DIEHARD mac fan is trying hard to sell her iPad so she can at least get some of her wasted money back.

I think apple has some good concepts, sometimes, even if they are geared for simplicity but the iPad is just...bad.
Python is garbage, number 1 advocate of getting rid of it.
Matoo-
Profile Blog Joined June 2007
Canada1397 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-04-21 07:16:53
April 21 2010 06:53 GMT
#427
If anything I'm thankful to Apple and Microsoft for applying pressure on Adobe. Flash has been moving forward at a much faster pace recently that it had in years.

People should calm down about HTML5 killing Flash off though. HTML5 is nice but if iPhones/iPads can skip Flash it's mostly thanks to the countless apps that people have created specifically for these two devices. This isn't extensible to the entire market and Flash/Silverlight aren't disappearing anytime soon.
Maentwrog
Profile Joined April 2010
United Kingdom17 Posts
April 21 2010 06:54 GMT
#428
Grab your self one and stick Windows 95 on it
I've been putting out fire with gasoline!
baal
Profile Joined March 2003
10708 Posts
April 21 2010 07:17 GMT
#429
On April 21 2010 08:43 VManOfMana wrote:
Show nested quote +
On April 15 2010 11:31 Jibba wrote:
On April 14 2010 22:46 MourningWould wrote:
On April 13 2010 00:12 MacWorld wrote:
I don´t think TL.net is their target group. Most here don´t se any point in using any of Apple´s devices.


Nah, I think most people here are just butthurt because they predicted ipad would fail so horribly and now that it's a success, they have to find some way to bring it down so they don't look like an idiot.

I don't think many people here predicted it would fail. It's just not that appealing for most of us.


There is a big difference between "not appealing to me" and "piece of shit". And the general tone of this thread is the latter.

I find it annoying not so much because I am an Apple fan (which I am) but rather because the conversation derails out of an intelligent merits/fault discussion. Its no secret that Apple does not try to appeal to everyone with their products. Oh, and the "I don't use Mac therefore I am smarter than you" attitude. Wasn't it long ago when Windows users were the stupid ones?

Adding a bit of wood on the fire, Apple did their quarterly earning report. Amazing numbers.

Also: http://gigaom.com/2010/04/19/adobe-ceo-has-his-own-reality-distortion-field/


sicne when were windows users the stupid ones? i mean from the point of view from a linux user then yeah, but never from an Mac user.
Im back, in pog form!
Bockit
Profile Blog Joined November 2004
Sydney2287 Posts
April 21 2010 07:46 GMT
#430
After writing this up I realised that this isn't iPad specific, it's more an argument for tablet pcs in general, but I wanted to post it anyway so yeah.

Finally got to use an iPad yesterday (friend of mine ebayed one) and something that I think gets misrepresented is the size. 'It's just a big iphone', I get that, that was my first reaction too, but actually using it I can see why that is actually important. Specifically, as a user experience designer, when using the larger multi-touch screen I can see the kinds of user interactions that I could utilise when developing iPad apps that just wouldn't be feasible on the iPhone. With the iphone you're reaching in to touch with the ends of your fingers, with the iPad your hand can hover and you're moving your whole hand. I feel this is a significant factor. Maybe a better way to describe would be:

Imagine you're holding the iPhone in the palm of your left hand and your right hand is tapping away. Now imagine the iphone being bigger in the palm of your left hand. In the first scenario if you were to utilise 5 fingers then you're kind of limited in that they'll have to be pushed towards each other, in the second, it's more relaxed and they can spread out. That's where new interactions will come from imo.

In short, my point is that the size of the iPad changes things a lot more than I expected, 'it's just a big iphone' ends up being a good thing. I realise that this is the same for any other tablet pc with a capacitive multitouch screen, I guess I just wanted to talk about this cos I hadn't thought about the implications before

On a semi-related note: When I was trying the on screen keyboard I was wary of my typing speed, making sure I was hitting the right keys, then as I upped the speed I was able to get to just about the speed I type on my laptop and I made no typos. Punctuation was a bit weird, and if I had to have typed capitals then I think I would have stuffed up, but I think that would come with time.
Their are four errors in this sentance.
VManOfMana
Profile Blog Joined December 2008
United States764 Posts
April 21 2010 13:17 GMT
#431
On April 21 2010 16:17 baal wrote:
sicne when were windows users the stupid ones? i mean from the point of view from a linux user then yeah, but never from an Mac user.


Ever since my OS/2 days, Windows users were the ones who didn't know better. Mac users always were in their own niche, so at least they got "better art tools" on their favor.

I guess the shift didn't happen until Apple became popular after Jobs' return.
Woo Jung Ho, FIGHTING! | "With the death of BW comes the death of an idea. And that idea, held by many BW fans, was that a computer game could actually outlive the Next New Game cycle. And to some extent it did." -Falling
VManOfMana
Profile Blog Joined December 2008
United States764 Posts
April 29 2010 17:40 GMT
#432
Steve Jobs' official statement on Flash:

http://www.apple.com/hotnews/thoughts-on-flash/

I don't expect everyone to agree, but I understand their point of view.
Woo Jung Ho, FIGHTING! | "With the death of BW comes the death of an idea. And that idea, held by many BW fans, was that a computer game could actually outlive the Next New Game cycle. And to some extent it did." -Falling
Jibba
Profile Blog Joined October 2007
United States22883 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-04-29 18:14:31
April 29 2010 18:03 GMT
#433
Point 1 is ridiculous, not only because of Jobs' hypocrisy, but also because Adobe is actually fairly open with Flash. It's also funny that he cites h.264 so often because it's much more closed and muddled down than Flash is.

#2 is ridiculous. Apple has done as good of a job as you can of providing a web experience without Flash, but it's still not the same. It's only similar because there's devs to try and replicate Flash apps through the App store, but Flash iterations are almost universally better on top of being free.

#3 is totally fair, and true.

I think #4 is wrong, but we'll see in a few weeks when Android gets 10.1. All software decoding draws tons of power.

Seems like #5 is easily fixable.

6 ties around to 1, and it's still full of crap, especially coming from Apple.

#2 is really what it's all about and as a seller, it's a totally understandable decision. It still doesn't fall in line with providing a great user experience, though. Flash would not only take the heels out from under iAd, but the app store would be seriously damaged. Everyone knows this. But whatever, people can enjoy their iPhones. I'm downloading Skyfire 2.0 right now on my Droid, with flash streaming video. ^^

Update: Hulu doesn't quite work yet but OH MY GOD I CAN WATCH PORN ON MY DROID.
ModeratorNow I'm distant, dark in this anthrobeat
Jayme
Profile Blog Joined February 2009
United States5866 Posts
April 29 2010 19:56 GMT
#434
On April 30 2010 03:03 Jibba wrote:
Point 1 is ridiculous, not only because of Jobs' hypocrisy, but also because Adobe is actually fairly open with Flash. It's also funny that he cites h.264 so often because it's much more closed and muddled down than Flash is.

#2 is ridiculous. Apple has done as good of a job as you can of providing a web experience without Flash, but it's still not the same. It's only similar because there's devs to try and replicate Flash apps through the App store, but Flash iterations are almost universally better on top of being free.

#3 is totally fair, and true.

I think #4 is wrong, but we'll see in a few weeks when Android gets 10.1. All software decoding draws tons of power.

Seems like #5 is easily fixable.

6 ties around to 1, and it's still full of crap, especially coming from Apple.

#2 is really what it's all about and as a seller, it's a totally understandable decision. It still doesn't fall in line with providing a great user experience, though. Flash would not only take the heels out from under iAd, but the app store would be seriously damaged. Everyone knows this. But whatever, people can enjoy their iPhones. I'm downloading Skyfire 2.0 right now on my Droid, with flash streaming video. ^^

Update: Hulu doesn't quite work yet but OH MY GOD I CAN WATCH PORN ON MY DROID.



F YEA DROIDS.

If it werent with verison wireless I would get a droid in a heartbeat. Those are some nice phones.
Python is garbage, number 1 advocate of getting rid of it.
Jibba
Profile Blog Joined October 2007
United States22883 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-04-29 20:04:18
April 29 2010 20:03 GMT
#435
Yeah. ^^ Mine's overclocked @ 1ghz with Cyanogen, and even though all the next gen smart phones have SNES/Genesis emulators, being the only one with a hardware keyboard makes a big difference.

EDIT: BTW, don't forget this gem from Jobs' reply.

Flash was created during the PC era – for PCs and mice.
ModeratorNow I'm distant, dark in this anthrobeat
KingofHearts
Profile Blog Joined January 2009
Japan562 Posts
April 29 2010 20:06 GMT
#436
apple cant do what windows can so thats why they left flash out by giving silly excuses
moshi moshi~
Jayme
Profile Blog Joined February 2009
United States5866 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-04-29 20:35:29
April 29 2010 20:28 GMT
#437
On April 30 2010 05:03 Jibba wrote:
Yeah. ^^ Mine's overclocked @ 1ghz with Cyanogen, and even though all the next gen smart phones have SNES/Genesis emulators, being the only one with a hardware keyboard makes a big difference.

EDIT: BTW, don't forget this gem from Jobs' reply.

Show nested quote +
Flash was created during the PC era – for PCs and mice.


That's why I'm sticking with the Palm Pre until a good Droid/HTC option opens up. The tactile response I get from a physical keyboard is pretty much a requirement for me. Sprint has a nice 4g phone coming up in the Evo and it's the Android OS but it's a damn touch screen keyboard The screen is huge on it though. And seriously, it's a 4g phone, the first one actually. 4G is incredibly fast for a mobile device and you'll actually be able to use it on the HTC Evo because it has Flash capabilities. I'm on the fence with it.

The Palm Pre has proven to be a good freaking phone though for the year or so I've had it. Fragile maybe but I like the OS and the functionality.

Also, I can play THE SETTLERS on it. Man I love that game.
Python is garbage, number 1 advocate of getting rid of it.
Weedman
Profile Joined April 2010
United States65 Posts
April 29 2010 21:16 GMT
#438
Errrg Mac fanboys make me cringe.

All about google and pirating windows.

Mp3 players or phones? go samsung imo
Smoke it!
Jayme
Profile Blog Joined February 2009
United States5866 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-04-29 21:39:47
April 29 2010 21:38 GMT
#439
On April 30 2010 06:16 Weedman wrote:
Errrg Mac fanboys make me cringe.

All about google and pirating windows.

Mp3 players or phones? go samsung imo


The Zune HD does not get the praise it deserves. The sound it delivers is really really good.

The one reason it hasn't caught on like it should is because it's incompatible with MACs which is unfortunately rather prolific in the age group that goes for Mp3 players in the first place. Even with that I know quite a few people with a Zune HD that bemoan the fact that it doesn't work with their mac...they still have one though.

I have always kept my MP3 player and my phone seperate devices because smart phones nowadays take up so much power on their own that listening to music from them would only destroy battery life even more.

When I'm not listening to my Zune I just keep it paused and it goes into sleep mode. With on and off listening it easily lasts a good 2 weeks without need for a charge. My Palm Pre needs to be recharged typically every night in comparison(depends on if I play Settlers that day). If I listened to music on it I would have to charge it every 6-7 hours likely.

That was always the issue I had with ipods...shit battery life.

What I have noticed funny enough is that the biggest train on phone battery life is actually using it as a phone. Nothing drains my phones battery faster than a phone call.
Python is garbage, number 1 advocate of getting rid of it.
Jibba
Profile Blog Joined October 2007
United States22883 Posts
May 13 2010 23:11 GMT
#440
So part of Jobs' complaint just got torn apart.



Also, today Hulu said that HTML5 doesn't meet their needs yet.
ModeratorNow I'm distant, dark in this anthrobeat
Prev 1 20 21 22 23 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Patches Events
00:00
Patch Clash S1 Special #1
RotterdaM728
IndyStarCraft 202
Liquipedia
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
RotterdaM 728
ByuN 307
Reynor 306
TKL 292
IndyStarCraft 202
Railgan 79
BRAT_OK 46
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 55520
Bisu 2919
Calm 2409
FanTaSy 879
Stork 596
Rush 457
hero 297
firebathero 170
actioN 133
Sharp 98
[ Show more ]
Free 50
Sea.KH 49
ToSsGirL 37
Mong 34
Pusan 30
soO 25
Rock 24
Aegong 18
Hm[arnc] 17
HiyA 17
Terrorterran 15
Sacsri 12
Noble 12
scan(afreeca) 9
IntoTheRainbow 6
Dota 2
Gorgc10396
Dendi934
Counter-Strike
fl0m4898
Super Smash Bros
Mew2King96
Heroes of the Storm
MindelVK7
Other Games
singsing2084
Liquid`RaSZi1536
B2W.Neo684
Beastyqt664
Mlord480
Khaldor472
olofmeister447
KnowMe359
crisheroes112
Organizations
Other Games
BasetradeTV252
[ Show 18 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Hinosc 8
• Adnapsc2 6
• Reevou 1
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• Airneanach20
• Azhi_Dahaki5
• niya90s 1
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• WagamamaTV546
League of Legends
• Nemesis3226
Counter-Strike
• C_a_k_e 1540
Other Games
• Shiphtur532
Upcoming Events
BSL Open Qualifier
2h 49m
BSL Open Qualifier
2h 49m
OSC
6h 49m
Replay Cast
6h 49m
OSC
19h 49m
WardiTV Weekly
1d 18h
PiGosaur Cup
2 days
Kung Fu Cup
2 days
The PondCast
3 days
Online Event
4 days
[ Show More ]
Korean StarCraft League
5 days
Afreeca Starleague
5 days
Rush vs Soulkey
CranKy Ducklings
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
HCC Season 3
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.