• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 11:19
CEST 17:19
KST 00:19
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror6[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
Rollback Netcode in Brood War645.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 202621Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)78
StarCraft 2
General
5.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 2026 [Old] StarCraft 3 Reportedly in Development StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)
Tourneys
RSL 2026 Offline Finals LCQ Sign-Ups $3,500 WardiTV Not-Summer Championship ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) ISSL (IntoTheTV x SOOP SC2 League): Premier
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
Sagi.gg Launcher Released Rollback Netcode in Brood War ChatGPT cheats at StarSkirmish SCAI tournament BW General Discussion TL Sidebar missing streams
Tourneys
[Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Semifinal A [ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Simple Questions, Simple Answers Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do?
Other Games
General Games
Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25!
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
[Manga] One Piece Movie Discussion! Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread TeamLiquid Health and Fitness Initiative For 2023 MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 7730 users

Ipad, is it worth buying? - Page 21

Forum Index > General Forum
Post a Reply
Prev 1 19 20 21 22 23 Next All
Djzapz
Profile Blog Joined August 2009
Canada10681 Posts
April 12 2010 14:44 GMT
#401
The Ipad is like a smaller netbook with fewer functionalities and you can't actually type fast on it. Awesome 8)
"My incompetence with power tools had been increasing exponentially over the course of 20 years spent inhaling experimental oven cleaners"
RoosterSamurai
Profile Blog Joined March 2010
Japan2108 Posts
April 12 2010 14:47 GMT
#402
On April 12 2010 23:44 Djzapz wrote:
The Ipad is like a smaller netbook with fewer functionalities and you can't actually type fast on it. Awesome 8)

lol And it costs more.
-orb-
Profile Blog Joined September 2007
United States5770 Posts
April 12 2010 14:53 GMT
#403
I honestly can't see a use for it, but even if I could and for some reason if I had a desire for one I definitely wouldn't buy it solely for the lack of flash support
'life of lively to live to life of full life thx to shield battery'
how sad that sc2 has no shield battery :(
RoosterSamurai
Profile Blog Joined March 2010
Japan2108 Posts
April 12 2010 15:00 GMT
#404
On April 12 2010 23:53 -orb- wrote:
I honestly can't see a use for it, but even if I could and for some reason if I had a desire for one I definitely wouldn't buy it solely for the lack of flash support

I agree. It's very silly to release such an expensive piece of useless hardware and not even put USB drives on it... Does it have a slot for MMCs though?
MacWorld
Profile Blog Joined January 2009
Sweden227 Posts
April 12 2010 15:12 GMT
#405
I don´t think TL.net is their target group. Most here don´t se any point in using any of Apple´s devices.
sLiniss
Profile Blog Joined May 2009
United States849 Posts
April 12 2010 15:33 GMT
#406
Having an iPad is basically just to show you have enough money to buy worthless things...
Sulli
Profile Blog Joined November 2009
Canada236 Posts
April 12 2010 23:53 GMT
#407
Here's a nice review I found. Haters will be haters, so watch only if you're interested in the iPad.

[image loading]

[image loading]
Jibba
Profile Blog Joined October 2007
United States22883 Posts
April 13 2010 14:40 GMT
#408
This is just a random aside I had last night, but I've got a phone with great multitouch performance and I've got to say that multitouch is the single most overrated feature on any smart phone. There's a few more things you can do with it on an iPad, but on an iPhone/Droid/N1/etc., aside from gaming, you should never really need to use multitouch. It's inconvenient as hell for one hand browsing, and there's better alternatives for every advantage it provides.

Typing: For touch typing, it's slightly beneficial if you're typing quickly, but the new method from Swype/Shapewriter/Slide/etc. is so much better than touch typing. For those who don't know what it is, swyping is where you drag your finger across the keyboard to the different letters and the predictive text finds your word. There's a new commercial out for a Samsung phone that has it built in, but you can find alternative keyboards for iPhone/Android with it.

Pinch zoom: I don't know if XScope exists for iPhone, but it's a super fast and powerful browser for Android that has a 1 hand pinch zoom feature, where you just tap twice and then move your finger as you would with regular pinch zooming. The advantage is that you can do it easily with 1 hand, and I'd argue it's more accurate because your hands aren't in an awkward position.
ModeratorNow I'm distant, dark in this anthrobeat
zuqbu
Profile Blog Joined January 2007
Germany797 Posts
April 14 2010 13:43 GMT
#409
as i mentioned before, the ipad might be a great digital sketchbook, but a target group i didn't have in mind are musicians:

[image loading]

more info + video here.

what i really want now is a traktor dj app to replace usb/midi-pults with a multitouch-interface 8)

in other news, ipad launch here in germany is delayed until the end of may
o_O
CTStalker
Profile Blog Joined November 2004
Canada9720 Posts
April 14 2010 13:44 GMT
#410
international shipping delayed by a month: http://www.apple.com/pr/library/2010/04/14advisory_ipad.html

ah well. i think i'll buy a nexus one instead, anyway
By the way, my name is Funk. I am not of your world
MourningWould
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
United States110 Posts
April 14 2010 13:46 GMT
#411
On April 13 2010 00:12 MacWorld wrote:
I don´t think TL.net is their target group. Most here don´t se any point in using any of Apple´s devices.


Nah, I think most people here are just butthurt because they predicted ipad would fail so horribly and now that it's a success, they have to find some way to bring it down so they don't look like an idiot.
dudeman001
Profile Blog Joined February 2010
United States2412 Posts
April 14 2010 17:41 GMT
#412
I have a laptop. I'm pretty much set without this.
Sup.
Jibba
Profile Blog Joined October 2007
United States22883 Posts
April 15 2010 02:31 GMT
#413
On April 14 2010 22:46 MourningWould wrote:
Show nested quote +
On April 13 2010 00:12 MacWorld wrote:
I don´t think TL.net is their target group. Most here don´t se any point in using any of Apple´s devices.


Nah, I think most people here are just butthurt because they predicted ipad would fail so horribly and now that it's a success, they have to find some way to bring it down so they don't look like an idiot.

I don't think many people here predicted it would fail. It's just not that appealing for most of us.
ModeratorNow I'm distant, dark in this anthrobeat
VManOfMana
Profile Blog Joined December 2008
United States764 Posts
April 20 2010 23:43 GMT
#414
On April 15 2010 11:31 Jibba wrote:
Show nested quote +
On April 14 2010 22:46 MourningWould wrote:
On April 13 2010 00:12 MacWorld wrote:
I don´t think TL.net is their target group. Most here don´t se any point in using any of Apple´s devices.


Nah, I think most people here are just butthurt because they predicted ipad would fail so horribly and now that it's a success, they have to find some way to bring it down so they don't look like an idiot.

I don't think many people here predicted it would fail. It's just not that appealing for most of us.


There is a big difference between "not appealing to me" and "piece of shit". And the general tone of this thread is the latter.

I find it annoying not so much because I am an Apple fan (which I am) but rather because the conversation derails out of an intelligent merits/fault discussion. Its no secret that Apple does not try to appeal to everyone with their products. Oh, and the "I don't use Mac therefore I am smarter than you" attitude. Wasn't it long ago when Windows users were the stupid ones?

Adding a bit of wood on the fire, Apple did their quarterly earning report. Amazing numbers.

Also: http://gigaom.com/2010/04/19/adobe-ceo-has-his-own-reality-distortion-field/
Woo Jung Ho, FIGHTING! | "With the death of BW comes the death of an idea. And that idea, held by many BW fans, was that a computer game could actually outlive the Next New Game cycle. And to some extent it did." -Falling
synapse
Profile Blog Joined January 2009
China13814 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-04-21 00:03:29
April 21 2010 00:00 GMT
#415
On April 21 2010 08:43 VManOfMana wrote:
Show nested quote +
On April 15 2010 11:31 Jibba wrote:
On April 14 2010 22:46 MourningWould wrote:
On April 13 2010 00:12 MacWorld wrote:
I don´t think TL.net is their target group. Most here don´t se any point in using any of Apple´s devices.


Nah, I think most people here are just butthurt because they predicted ipad would fail so horribly and now that it's a success, they have to find some way to bring it down so they don't look like an idiot.

I don't think many people here predicted it would fail. It's just not that appealing for most of us.


There is a big difference between "not appealing to me" and "piece of shit". And the general tone of this thread is the latter.

I find it annoying not so much because I am an Apple fan (which I am) but rather because the conversation derails out of an intelligent merits/fault discussion. Its no secret that Apple does not try to appeal to everyone with their products. Oh, and the "I don't use Mac therefore I am smarter than you" attitude. Wasn't it long ago when Windows users were the stupid ones?

Adding a bit of wood on the fire, Apple did their quarterly earning report. Amazing numbers.

Also: http://gigaom.com/2010/04/19/adobe-ceo-has-his-own-reality-distortion-field/


Apple products are, indeed, visually appealing. Their computing/processing and gaming capabilities fall way way behind the rest of the market, though - and I'm pretty sure that's what most of TL is probably looking for in a technological device.

I love the iPhone - it's convenient, pretty, and has a simple interface that suits its purpose - it makes sense. The iPad on the other hand, is not "revolutionary" (as Apple describes it) in any sense of the word. Its processing capabilities fall far behind all modern non-handheld devices. The iPad cannot handle multitasking, and comes with little support for much of the plugins and applications even many Mac users depend on. Using the iPad's on-screen keyboard is even, as described by a writer in Time magazine, "...like typing with frostbite."

There's no denying that Apple products are directed toward those unwilling to learn to use anything other than a very simple interface (or at the very least, those who prefer visual appeal over functionality), and that's where the "Mac users are stupid" comes from. Apple products give users virtually no control over their computing systems, and don't come with the graphics processing / processing power to make up for it.

EDIT: 1337 posts :0
:)
WeSt
Profile Blog Joined April 2008
Portugal918 Posts
April 21 2010 00:03 GMT
#416
[image loading]
zvz is imba
Cloud
Profile Blog Joined November 2004
Sexico5880 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-04-21 00:55:07
April 21 2010 00:53 GMT
#417
On April 21 2010 09:00 synapse wrote:
Show nested quote +
On April 21 2010 08:43 VManOfMana wrote:
On April 15 2010 11:31 Jibba wrote:
On April 14 2010 22:46 MourningWould wrote:
On April 13 2010 00:12 MacWorld wrote:
I don´t think TL.net is their target group. Most here don´t se any point in using any of Apple´s devices.


Nah, I think most people here are just butthurt because they predicted ipad would fail so horribly and now that it's a success, they have to find some way to bring it down so they don't look like an idiot.

I don't think many people here predicted it would fail. It's just not that appealing for most of us.


There is a big difference between "not appealing to me" and "piece of shit". And the general tone of this thread is the latter.

I find it annoying not so much because I am an Apple fan (which I am) but rather because the conversation derails out of an intelligent merits/fault discussion. Its no secret that Apple does not try to appeal to everyone with their products. Oh, and the "I don't use Mac therefore I am smarter than you" attitude. Wasn't it long ago when Windows users were the stupid ones?

Adding a bit of wood on the fire, Apple did their quarterly earning report. Amazing numbers.

Also: http://gigaom.com/2010/04/19/adobe-ceo-has-his-own-reality-distortion-field/


Apple products are, indeed, visually appealing. Their computing/processing and gaming capabilities fall way way behind the rest of the market, though - and I'm pretty sure that's what most of TL is probably looking for in a technological device.

I love the iPhone - it's convenient, pretty, and has a simple interface that suits its purpose - it makes sense. The iPad on the other hand, is not "revolutionary" (as Apple describes it) in any sense of the word. Its processing capabilities fall far behind all modern non-handheld devices. The iPad cannot handle multitasking, and comes with little support for much of the plugins and applications even many Mac users depend on. Using the iPad's on-screen keyboard is even, as described by a writer in Time magazine, "...like typing with frostbite."

There's no denying that Apple products are directed toward those unwilling to learn to use anything other than a very simple interface (or at the very least, those who prefer visual appeal over functionality), and that's where the "Mac users are stupid" comes from. Apple products give users virtually no control over their computing systems, and don't come with the graphics processing / processing power to make up for it.

EDIT: 1337 posts :0


Do you have like any objective sources to back your

processing, computing and gaming capabilities falling far behind the rest of the market
iPad far behind all modern non-handheld devices

What the hell are you comparing it to?
little support of plugins and applications many Mac users depend on
which plugins? Flash? to watch porno?
Directed towards idiots
And this is just the most stupid and most common complaint, first, because simplicity is good and second because it's just a random insult with no real back up,
. Gives virtually no control over their computing systems and don't come with the graphics processing /processing power to make up for it
Now what in the world are you talking about? I see your statements and I can't help thinking that you're just making all of this shit up.
BlueLaguna on West, msg for game.
FragKrag
Profile Blog Joined September 2007
United States11567 Posts
April 21 2010 00:57 GMT
#418
I actually got the chance to play around with one, and I have to admit that it is indeed fun to play with. I was pretty entertained. I haven't actually used any other tablets so I can't offer a comparison, but I did not like the iPad because imo it was just too fat (this is probably a problem with every tablet though!). I don't like that I have to use both my hands, and I can't really see it in any appreciable niche that a laptop or iPhone would not already cover.
*TL CJ Entusman #40* "like scissors does anything to paper except MAKE IT MORE NUMEROUS" -paper
synapse
Profile Blog Joined January 2009
China13814 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-04-21 03:28:24
April 21 2010 02:53 GMT
#419
On April 21 2010 09:53 Cloud wrote:
Do you have like any objective sources to back your

Show nested quote +
processing, computing and gaming capabilities falling far behind the rest of the market
Show nested quote +
iPad far behind all modern non-handheld devices

What the hell are you comparing it to?
Show nested quote +
little support of plugins and applications many Mac users depend on
which plugins? Flash? to watch porno?
Show nested quote +
Directed towards idiots
And this is just the most stupid and most common complaint, first, because simplicity is good and second because it's just a random insult with no real back up,
Show nested quote +
. Gives virtually no control over their computing systems and don't come with the graphics processing /processing power to make up for it
Now what in the world are you talking about? I see your statements and I can't help thinking that you're just making all of this shit up.


Now now, let's not get feisty over the iPad.

(Any specs concerning the iPad are taken directly from Apple's website.)

EDITED into spoilers. I guess I agree with Ecael, I did some googling and found that whatever I said here was not necessarily true.
+ Show Spoiler [didn't do my research beforehand] +
- The iPad has a "1GHz Apple A4 custom-designed, high-performance, low-power system-on-a-chip" processor. So far, the lowest-powered netbooks have atom processors with ~1.6GHz benchmarks. Some online article claimed that the iPad was the first "true home computer" due to its portability, but is the lack of multitasking and raw processing power worth it?

The non-handheld devices I was referring to were netbooks (since notebooks/desktops obviously would have much greater processing power), but since it's still hard to compare netbooks to the iPad, maybe we should take a look at upcoming slate-tablet computers: http://gizmodo.com/5459308/slate-showdown-ipad-vs-hp-slate-vs-joojoo-vs-android-tablets--more-updated

Nearly all of the tablets around the iPad's size have processors equivalent to or better than that of the iPad, and nearly all of these tablets have multitasking capabilities.
With gaming... well, http://www.planetxbox360.com/article_9486/Gaming_on_the_iPad_Good_or_Bad

Apple has never been good with games, I guess.

- I am specifically referring to Adobe flash. Looking back at the slate-tablet computers, nearly all of them have flash. Not supporting flash was probably Apple's biggest mistake in the making of the iPad (besides the concept itself). All flash-based games, video-streaming and video hosting websites, as well as flash based (graphics-heavy) websites will not work on the iPad. Most of the multimedia applications used on Macs have no iPad counterparts - for example, Garageband.

- (I'm not sure where you got the "Directed towards idiots" quote from ...) I never said I agreed with the statement, I only stated that the fact that Apple products feature much simpler interfaces led to people considering Mac users as "stupid."

- It is a commonly known fact that Apple isn't very developer-friendly. Microsoft has several software development kits, and give developers licenses for the software they make. User-based OS control on Apple devices is nearly nonexistant, and the developer-friendliness of non-computer Apple devices can be seen:
http://kotaku.com/227948/apple-iphone-not-developer-friendly
http://www.bogost.com/watercoolergames/archives/apple_iphone_an.shtml
It is also a commonly known fact that Mac computers can't be "upgraded" - A PC is very easy to assemble/dissemble, while Macs clearly were never meant for their hardware to be played around with.
:)
Ecael
Profile Joined February 2008
United States6703 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-04-21 03:14:22
April 21 2010 03:05 GMT
#420
How many times can it be posted in this thread that we need to stop comparing an Atom directly to an ARM processor?

Lack of multitasking is an OS issue, and the new OS iirc supports multitasking. Raw power? You mean versatility. 1ghz ARM SoC is pretty much the standard right now. Yeah Apple had the choice of running Tegra 2 like some of their competitors, but it isn't too shabby. The Gizmodo article you linked shows much of the 'competition' sporting Snapdragon, which doesn't exactly outperform the Apple chip in question. The atoms all suffer from a massive battery life loss in comparison to ARM based alternatives.
Prev 1 19 20 21 22 23 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Patches Events
00:00
Patch Clash S1 Special #1
RotterdaM339
Liquipedia
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
RotterdaM 329
Reynor 222
ByuN 153
TKL 120
Railgan 79
Codebar 65
BRAT_OK 19
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 60287
Bisu 2865
FanTaSy 1030
Stork 849
Calm 604
Rush 427
hero 412
firebathero 202
Snow 142
Sharp 91
[ Show more ]
Free 67
Mind 66
Sea.KH 52
Pusan 49
ToSsGirL 38
Trap 38
Sexy 32
Mong 25
Bale 25
Terrorterran 24
Hm[arnc] 22
Aegong 21
Rock 20
HiyA 17
soO 17
Sacsri 10
Shine 10
scan(afreeca) 9
IntoTheRainbow 8
Noble 8
Dota 2
Gorgc8458
Dendi1054
Counter-Strike
fl0m4307
Super Smash Bros
Mew2King68
Other Games
singsing2299
Liquid`RaSZi1404
B2W.Neo734
Beastyqt587
olofmeister482
Mlord457
Khaldor425
KnowMe299
Hui .214
crisheroes174
Chillindude61
Organizations
Other Games
BasetradeTV254
[ Show 14 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• HeavenSC 21
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• FT.aCt)Sony6
• niya90s 3
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• WagamamaTV572
League of Legends
• Nemesis3431
Counter-Strike
• C_a_k_e 1750
Upcoming Events
BSL Open Qualifier
3h 41m
BSL Open Qualifier
3h 41m
OSC
7h 41m
Replay Cast
7h 41m
OSC
20h 41m
WardiTV Weekly
1d 19h
PiGosaur Cup
2 days
Kung Fu Cup
2 days
The PondCast
3 days
Online Event
4 days
[ Show More ]
Korean StarCraft League
5 days
Afreeca Starleague
5 days
Rush vs Soulkey
CranKy Ducklings
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
HCC Season 3
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.