• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 13:52
CEST 19:52
KST 02:52
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror6[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
Rollback Netcode in Brood War645.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 202621Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)78
StarCraft 2
General
5.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 2026 [Old] StarCraft 3 Reportedly in Development StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)
Tourneys
RSL 2026 Offline Finals LCQ Sign-Ups $3,500 WardiTV Not-Summer Championship ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) ISSL (IntoTheTV x SOOP SC2 League): Premier
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
BW General Discussion Sagi.gg Launcher Released ChatGPT cheats at StarSkirmish SCAI tournament Rollback Netcode in Brood War TL Sidebar missing streams
Tourneys
[Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Semifinal A [ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Simple Questions, Simple Answers Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do?
Other Games
General Games
Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25!
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
[Manga] One Piece Movie Discussion! Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread TeamLiquid Health and Fitness Initiative For 2023 MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
The Link Between Gaming and …
TrAiDoS
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 12376 users

Bible Required Curriculum - Page 7

Forum Index > General Forum
Post a Reply
Prev 1 5 6 7 8 9 30 Next All
NExUS1g
Profile Joined December 2007
United States254 Posts
August 17 2009 11:42 GMT
#121
On August 17 2009 20:34 benjammin wrote:
Show nested quote +
On August 17 2009 20:23 NExUS1g wrote:
On August 17 2009 20:16 benjammin wrote:
On August 17 2009 20:14 NExUS1g wrote:
On August 17 2009 20:10 benjammin wrote:
and i suppose you think it's not disparaging to disregard other world religions in mandating this law? to me this just smells like jesus freaks trying to sneak the good book into public schools


Nothing is being mandated. The law is ALLOWING the teaching given certain stipulations.

I recall when prayer in school was banned.


the law is REQUIRING the teaching


No it isn't.

The law says:
ELECTIVE COURSES ON THE BIBLE'S HEBREW
SCRIPTURES (OLD TESTAMENT) AND NEW TESTAMENT AND THEIR IMPACT ON
THE HISTORY AND LITERATURE OF WESTERN CIVILIZATION.

These courses are ELECTIVES, not requirements of the students, and is secular in its teaching.


it is requiring the schools to offer the courses, i didn't mean that the students were required to take them, school administrators are powerless if they feel uncomfortable about this policy

can you provide a source where individual displays of prayer are banned in public schools? teacher-led public prayer is (and should be) banned


http://www.forerunner.com/forerunner/X0098_Ban_on_school_prayer.html Here's an article I found.

This was when I was a kid that prayer was banned when I was in middle-school in the late 80's. I was also in school where teacher-led prayer was allowed prior to the banning of all prayer, including personal prayer.

The statute requires public schools to make this elective available, but it is a secular teaching, not a religious one.
jello_biafra
Profile Blog Joined September 2004
United Kingdom6642 Posts
August 17 2009 11:42 GMT
#122
I feel sorry for the kids who will have to read that entire thing lol. Pretty preposterous.
The road to hell is paved with good intentions | aka Probert[PaiN] @ iccup / godlikeparagon @ twitch | my BW stream: http://www.teamliquid.net/video/streams/jello_biafra
Navane
Profile Blog Joined February 2007
Netherlands2762 Posts
August 17 2009 11:43 GMT
#123
Don't they require all schools to have math in their curriculum? What happened to math and state seperation?
benjammin
Profile Blog Joined August 2008
United States2728 Posts
August 17 2009 11:50 GMT
#124
On August 17 2009 20:42 NExUS1g wrote:
Show nested quote +
On August 17 2009 20:34 benjammin wrote:
On August 17 2009 20:23 NExUS1g wrote:
On August 17 2009 20:16 benjammin wrote:
On August 17 2009 20:14 NExUS1g wrote:
On August 17 2009 20:10 benjammin wrote:
and i suppose you think it's not disparaging to disregard other world religions in mandating this law? to me this just smells like jesus freaks trying to sneak the good book into public schools


Nothing is being mandated. The law is ALLOWING the teaching given certain stipulations.

I recall when prayer in school was banned.


the law is REQUIRING the teaching


No it isn't.

The law says:
ELECTIVE COURSES ON THE BIBLE'S HEBREW
SCRIPTURES (OLD TESTAMENT) AND NEW TESTAMENT AND THEIR IMPACT ON
THE HISTORY AND LITERATURE OF WESTERN CIVILIZATION.

These courses are ELECTIVES, not requirements of the students, and is secular in its teaching.


it is requiring the schools to offer the courses, i didn't mean that the students were required to take them, school administrators are powerless if they feel uncomfortable about this policy

can you provide a source where individual displays of prayer are banned in public schools? teacher-led public prayer is (and should be) banned


http://www.forerunner.com/forerunner/X0098_Ban_on_school_prayer.html Here's an article I found.

This was when I was a kid that prayer was banned when I was in middle-school in the late 80's. I was also in school where teacher-led prayer was allowed prior to the banning of all prayer, including personal prayer.

The statute requires public schools to make this elective available, but it is a secular teaching, not a religious one.



As you might have already noticed on Mr. Barton’s graph, America’s moral decline rapidly accelerated following one event – the U.S. Supreme Court’s removal of prayer from our nation’s schools.


come on now, provide a real source, the 1962 supreme court ruling bans teacher-led prayer in schools, nothing else

wash uffitizi, drive me to firenze
Aegraen
Profile Blog Joined May 2009
United States1225 Posts
August 17 2009 11:59 GMT
#125
As long as we are on the topic of "Church and State".



In 1947, in the case Everson v Board of Education, Associate Supreme Court Justice Hugo Black, writing for a 5-4 majority, asserted that "no tax in any amount, large or small, can be levied to support any religious activities or institutions, whatever they may be called, or whatever form they may adopt to teach or practice religion." He added, "The First Amendment has erected a wall between church and state. That wall must be kept high and impregnable. We could not approve the slightest breach."

Black had been Franklin Roosevelts first appointee to the SCOTUS. He was a senator from Alabama--and a relibable New Deal proponent in the Senate and on the Court. He had also been a member of the KKK in the 1920s and was hostile toward the Catholic Church. According to Black's son, "The KKK and Daddy, so far as I could tell, had one thing in common. He suspected the Catholic Church. He used to read all of the Paul Blanshard's books exposing the power abuse in the Catholic Church. He thought the Pope and Bishops had too much power and property. He resented the fact that rental property owned by the Church was not taxed; he felt they got most of their revenue from the poor and did not return enought of it."

Whatever Black's motivations, he orchestrated a wretched betrayal of America's founding and succeeded in rewriting the First Amendment to say what the Framers would never have countenanced.

Chief Justice William Rehnquist argued in 1985, in the case Wallace v Jaffree, "The First Amendment Establishment Clause did not require government neutrality between religion and irreligion nor did it prohibit the Federal Government from providing nondiscriminatory aid to religion. There is simply no historical foundation for the proposition that the Framers intended to build a 'wall of seperation' that was constitutionalized in Everson."

Actually, the Founders did not require nondiscriminatory aid to religion, for it existed at the time of the founding and the Consititutions ratification. They rejected the establishment of a national religion, leaving the states free to make their own decisions. And by the time Everson was decided, the few states that had established churches had long past abolished them. Still, the Everson fiat applied to all levels of government because the Court was not concerned with the establishment of a theocracy but rather with establishing a secular polity.

A theocracy is not established if certain public schools allow their students to pray at the beginning of the day, or participate in Christmas or Easter assemblies; or if certain school districts transport parochial students to their religious schools as part of the districts bus route; or certain communities choose to construct a manger scene on the grounds of their town hall or display the Ten Commandments above their courthouse steps. The individual is not required to change his religious affiliation or even accept God's existence. He is not required to worship against his beliefs or even worship at all. Some might be uncomfortable or offended by these events, but individuals are uncomfortable all the time over all kinds of government activities.

While all religions may not have similar access to these public places, they are largely free to conduct themselves as they wish, uninhibited by the community, as long as they do not engage in criminal practices.

The American courts sit today as supreme secular councils, which, like Islam's supreme religious councils, dictate all manner of approved behavior respecting religion. Whereas the supreme religious councils enforce Islamic law, the supreme secular councils have seized for themselves the mission of segregating God and religion from public life and have immersed themselves in religious matters. Neither of the councils tolerates conflicting or diverse viewpoints, insisting that their rulings are the final word for all society.

In essence, one SCOTUS ruling eclipsed the intent of the First Amendment and our Founding. Can it not be said of the three co-equal branches that if one branch has such unyielding power then they are not co-equal, but unequal?
"It is easy to be conspicuously 'compassionate' if others are being forced to pay the cost." -- Murray N. Rothbard -- Rand Paul 2010 -- Ron Paul 2012
NExUS1g
Profile Joined December 2007
United States254 Posts
August 17 2009 12:01 GMT
#126
On August 17 2009 20:50 benjammin wrote:
Show nested quote +
On August 17 2009 20:42 NExUS1g wrote:
On August 17 2009 20:34 benjammin wrote:
On August 17 2009 20:23 NExUS1g wrote:
On August 17 2009 20:16 benjammin wrote:
On August 17 2009 20:14 NExUS1g wrote:
On August 17 2009 20:10 benjammin wrote:
and i suppose you think it's not disparaging to disregard other world religions in mandating this law? to me this just smells like jesus freaks trying to sneak the good book into public schools


Nothing is being mandated. The law is ALLOWING the teaching given certain stipulations.

I recall when prayer in school was banned.


the law is REQUIRING the teaching


No it isn't.

The law says:
ELECTIVE COURSES ON THE BIBLE'S HEBREW
SCRIPTURES (OLD TESTAMENT) AND NEW TESTAMENT AND THEIR IMPACT ON
THE HISTORY AND LITERATURE OF WESTERN CIVILIZATION.

These courses are ELECTIVES, not requirements of the students, and is secular in its teaching.


it is requiring the schools to offer the courses, i didn't mean that the students were required to take them, school administrators are powerless if they feel uncomfortable about this policy

can you provide a source where individual displays of prayer are banned in public schools? teacher-led public prayer is (and should be) banned


http://www.forerunner.com/forerunner/X0098_Ban_on_school_prayer.html Here's an article I found.

This was when I was a kid that prayer was banned when I was in middle-school in the late 80's. I was also in school where teacher-led prayer was allowed prior to the banning of all prayer, including personal prayer.

The statute requires public schools to make this elective available, but it is a secular teaching, not a religious one.



Show nested quote +
As you might have already noticed on Mr. Barton’s graph, America’s moral decline rapidly accelerated following one event – the U.S. Supreme Court’s removal of prayer from our nation’s schools.


come on now, provide a real source, the 1962 supreme court ruling bans teacher-led prayer in schools, nothing else



I was there, I'm sorry that isn't enough of a "real source" for you. It was related to the "prayer around the flagpole" that happened at about that time. I imagine you'll have to look at microfiche of newspapers at the time since the Internet wasn't around at the time. It'd be in the late 80's during the school year. I was in Texas at the time, so it'd be a good start for you.
blomsterjohn
Profile Joined June 2008
Norway475 Posts
Last Edited: 2009-08-17 12:05:30
August 17 2009 12:02 GMT
#127
what? thats like a totaly different subject, i mean if your going down that lane you wanna shift to the ammount of money the us puts into israel instead
Snet *
Profile Blog Joined September 2006
United States3573 Posts
August 17 2009 12:07 GMT
#128
It sounds like it's not required to graduate but only required to be available. Maybe I'm reading it wrong.
NExUS1g
Profile Joined December 2007
United States254 Posts
Last Edited: 2009-08-17 12:08:22
August 17 2009 12:08 GMT
#129
On August 17 2009 21:07 Snet wrote:
It sounds like it's not required to graduate but only required to be available. Maybe I'm reading it wrong.


You're reading it right. It provides half a credit and is an elective course.
benjammin
Profile Blog Joined August 2008
United States2728 Posts
Last Edited: 2009-08-17 12:16:57
August 17 2009 12:12 GMT
#130
@aeg

...what? to quote a founding father:

Believing with you that religion is a matter which lies solely between Man & his God, that he owes account to none other for his faith or his worship, that the legitimate powers of government reach actions only, & not opinions, I contemplate with sovereign reverence that act of the whole American people which declared that their legislature should "make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof," thus building a wall of separation between Church & State.


and before you misinterpret 'free exercise thereof', read more about supreme court history


also, you grossly smear hugo black there, but see: kwark's sig, i hope people have stopped placing any value or belief in anything that you post
wash uffitizi, drive me to firenze
benjammin
Profile Blog Joined August 2008
United States2728 Posts
August 17 2009 12:14 GMT
#131
On August 17 2009 21:01 NExUS1g wrote:
Show nested quote +
On August 17 2009 20:50 benjammin wrote:
On August 17 2009 20:42 NExUS1g wrote:
On August 17 2009 20:34 benjammin wrote:
On August 17 2009 20:23 NExUS1g wrote:
On August 17 2009 20:16 benjammin wrote:
On August 17 2009 20:14 NExUS1g wrote:
On August 17 2009 20:10 benjammin wrote:
and i suppose you think it's not disparaging to disregard other world religions in mandating this law? to me this just smells like jesus freaks trying to sneak the good book into public schools


Nothing is being mandated. The law is ALLOWING the teaching given certain stipulations.

I recall when prayer in school was banned.


the law is REQUIRING the teaching


No it isn't.

The law says:
ELECTIVE COURSES ON THE BIBLE'S HEBREW
SCRIPTURES (OLD TESTAMENT) AND NEW TESTAMENT AND THEIR IMPACT ON
THE HISTORY AND LITERATURE OF WESTERN CIVILIZATION.

These courses are ELECTIVES, not requirements of the students, and is secular in its teaching.


it is requiring the schools to offer the courses, i didn't mean that the students were required to take them, school administrators are powerless if they feel uncomfortable about this policy

can you provide a source where individual displays of prayer are banned in public schools? teacher-led public prayer is (and should be) banned


http://www.forerunner.com/forerunner/X0098_Ban_on_school_prayer.html Here's an article I found.

This was when I was a kid that prayer was banned when I was in middle-school in the late 80's. I was also in school where teacher-led prayer was allowed prior to the banning of all prayer, including personal prayer.

The statute requires public schools to make this elective available, but it is a secular teaching, not a religious one.



As you might have already noticed on Mr. Barton’s graph, America’s moral decline rapidly accelerated following one event – the U.S. Supreme Court’s removal of prayer from our nation’s schools.


come on now, provide a real source, the 1962 supreme court ruling bans teacher-led prayer in schools, nothing else



I was there, I'm sorry that isn't enough of a "real source" for you. It was related to the "prayer around the flagpole" that happened at about that time. I imagine you'll have to look at microfiche of newspapers at the time since the Internet wasn't around at the time. It'd be in the late 80's during the school year. I was in Texas at the time, so it'd be a good start for you.


why's the burden of proof on me for something you said that's incorrect?
wash uffitizi, drive me to firenze
Gnosis
Profile Joined December 2008
Scotland912 Posts
August 17 2009 12:16 GMT
#132
Heaven forbid, an elective on the Bible as literature?! I better go tell Lüdemann...
"Reason is flawless, de jure, but reasoners are not, de facto." – Peter Kreeft
NExUS1g
Profile Joined December 2007
United States254 Posts
August 17 2009 12:16 GMT
#133
On August 17 2009 21:14 benjammin wrote:
Show nested quote +
On August 17 2009 21:01 NExUS1g wrote:
On August 17 2009 20:50 benjammin wrote:
On August 17 2009 20:42 NExUS1g wrote:
On August 17 2009 20:34 benjammin wrote:
On August 17 2009 20:23 NExUS1g wrote:
On August 17 2009 20:16 benjammin wrote:
On August 17 2009 20:14 NExUS1g wrote:
On August 17 2009 20:10 benjammin wrote:
and i suppose you think it's not disparaging to disregard other world religions in mandating this law? to me this just smells like jesus freaks trying to sneak the good book into public schools


Nothing is being mandated. The law is ALLOWING the teaching given certain stipulations.

I recall when prayer in school was banned.


the law is REQUIRING the teaching


No it isn't.

The law says:
ELECTIVE COURSES ON THE BIBLE'S HEBREW
SCRIPTURES (OLD TESTAMENT) AND NEW TESTAMENT AND THEIR IMPACT ON
THE HISTORY AND LITERATURE OF WESTERN CIVILIZATION.

These courses are ELECTIVES, not requirements of the students, and is secular in its teaching.


it is requiring the schools to offer the courses, i didn't mean that the students were required to take them, school administrators are powerless if they feel uncomfortable about this policy

can you provide a source where individual displays of prayer are banned in public schools? teacher-led public prayer is (and should be) banned


http://www.forerunner.com/forerunner/X0098_Ban_on_school_prayer.html Here's an article I found.

This was when I was a kid that prayer was banned when I was in middle-school in the late 80's. I was also in school where teacher-led prayer was allowed prior to the banning of all prayer, including personal prayer.

The statute requires public schools to make this elective available, but it is a secular teaching, not a religious one.



As you might have already noticed on Mr. Barton’s graph, America’s moral decline rapidly accelerated following one event – the U.S. Supreme Court’s removal of prayer from our nation’s schools.


come on now, provide a real source, the 1962 supreme court ruling bans teacher-led prayer in schools, nothing else



I was there, I'm sorry that isn't enough of a "real source" for you. It was related to the "prayer around the flagpole" that happened at about that time. I imagine you'll have to look at microfiche of newspapers at the time since the Internet wasn't around at the time. It'd be in the late 80's during the school year. I was in Texas at the time, so it'd be a good start for you.


why's the burden of proof on me for something you said that's incorrect?


It's not incorrect, for one. I was there -- I know what happened during my life. Just because you weren't there, doesn't mean it didn't happen. Secondly, I can't exactly post microfiche for you, can I? And I don't think you live in Portland for us to go together to the library to look for the information.
stafu
Profile Blog Joined January 2009
Australia1196 Posts
August 17 2009 12:16 GMT
#134
There's no 'grey area' about it. No religion should be taught in public schools. This completely goes against separation of church and state and freedom of religion. There is nothing good about this.
NExUS1g
Profile Joined December 2007
United States254 Posts
August 17 2009 12:17 GMT
#135
On August 17 2009 21:16 stafu wrote:
There's no 'grey area' about it. No religion should be taught in public schools. This completely goes against separation of church and state and freedom of religion. There is nothing good about this.


You don't understand separation of church and state.
benjammin
Profile Blog Joined August 2008
United States2728 Posts
August 17 2009 12:19 GMT
#136
On August 17 2009 21:16 NExUS1g wrote:
Show nested quote +
On August 17 2009 21:14 benjammin wrote:
On August 17 2009 21:01 NExUS1g wrote:
On August 17 2009 20:50 benjammin wrote:
On August 17 2009 20:42 NExUS1g wrote:
On August 17 2009 20:34 benjammin wrote:
On August 17 2009 20:23 NExUS1g wrote:
On August 17 2009 20:16 benjammin wrote:
On August 17 2009 20:14 NExUS1g wrote:
On August 17 2009 20:10 benjammin wrote:
and i suppose you think it's not disparaging to disregard other world religions in mandating this law? to me this just smells like jesus freaks trying to sneak the good book into public schools


Nothing is being mandated. The law is ALLOWING the teaching given certain stipulations.

I recall when prayer in school was banned.


the law is REQUIRING the teaching


No it isn't.

The law says:
ELECTIVE COURSES ON THE BIBLE'S HEBREW
SCRIPTURES (OLD TESTAMENT) AND NEW TESTAMENT AND THEIR IMPACT ON
THE HISTORY AND LITERATURE OF WESTERN CIVILIZATION.

These courses are ELECTIVES, not requirements of the students, and is secular in its teaching.


it is requiring the schools to offer the courses, i didn't mean that the students were required to take them, school administrators are powerless if they feel uncomfortable about this policy

can you provide a source where individual displays of prayer are banned in public schools? teacher-led public prayer is (and should be) banned


http://www.forerunner.com/forerunner/X0098_Ban_on_school_prayer.html Here's an article I found.

This was when I was a kid that prayer was banned when I was in middle-school in the late 80's. I was also in school where teacher-led prayer was allowed prior to the banning of all prayer, including personal prayer.

The statute requires public schools to make this elective available, but it is a secular teaching, not a religious one.



As you might have already noticed on Mr. Barton’s graph, America’s moral decline rapidly accelerated following one event – the U.S. Supreme Court’s removal of prayer from our nation’s schools.


come on now, provide a real source, the 1962 supreme court ruling bans teacher-led prayer in schools, nothing else



I was there, I'm sorry that isn't enough of a "real source" for you. It was related to the "prayer around the flagpole" that happened at about that time. I imagine you'll have to look at microfiche of newspapers at the time since the Internet wasn't around at the time. It'd be in the late 80's during the school year. I was in Texas at the time, so it'd be a good start for you.


why's the burden of proof on me for something you said that's incorrect?


It's not incorrect, for one. I was there -- I know what happened during my life. Just because you weren't there, doesn't mean it didn't happen. Secondly, I can't exactly post microfiche for you, can I? And I don't think you live in Portland for us to go together to the library to look for the information.


prayer is only prohibited in public schools if it is organized, they aren't roaming the lunchrooms looking to pick off kids with their hands folded and drag them in front of a magistrate; if the interpretation in your school was that any form of public display that could be constituted as prayer was banned, that was wrong
wash uffitizi, drive me to firenze
NExUS1g
Profile Joined December 2007
United States254 Posts
August 17 2009 12:30 GMT
#137
On August 17 2009 21:19 benjammin wrote:
Show nested quote +
On August 17 2009 21:16 NExUS1g wrote:
On August 17 2009 21:14 benjammin wrote:
On August 17 2009 21:01 NExUS1g wrote:
On August 17 2009 20:50 benjammin wrote:
On August 17 2009 20:42 NExUS1g wrote:
On August 17 2009 20:34 benjammin wrote:
On August 17 2009 20:23 NExUS1g wrote:
On August 17 2009 20:16 benjammin wrote:
On August 17 2009 20:14 NExUS1g wrote:
[quote]

Nothing is being mandated. The law is ALLOWING the teaching given certain stipulations.

I recall when prayer in school was banned.


the law is REQUIRING the teaching


No it isn't.

The law says:
ELECTIVE COURSES ON THE BIBLE'S HEBREW
SCRIPTURES (OLD TESTAMENT) AND NEW TESTAMENT AND THEIR IMPACT ON
THE HISTORY AND LITERATURE OF WESTERN CIVILIZATION.

These courses are ELECTIVES, not requirements of the students, and is secular in its teaching.


it is requiring the schools to offer the courses, i didn't mean that the students were required to take them, school administrators are powerless if they feel uncomfortable about this policy

can you provide a source where individual displays of prayer are banned in public schools? teacher-led public prayer is (and should be) banned


http://www.forerunner.com/forerunner/X0098_Ban_on_school_prayer.html Here's an article I found.

This was when I was a kid that prayer was banned when I was in middle-school in the late 80's. I was also in school where teacher-led prayer was allowed prior to the banning of all prayer, including personal prayer.

The statute requires public schools to make this elective available, but it is a secular teaching, not a religious one.



As you might have already noticed on Mr. Barton’s graph, America’s moral decline rapidly accelerated following one event – the U.S. Supreme Court’s removal of prayer from our nation’s schools.


come on now, provide a real source, the 1962 supreme court ruling bans teacher-led prayer in schools, nothing else



I was there, I'm sorry that isn't enough of a "real source" for you. It was related to the "prayer around the flagpole" that happened at about that time. I imagine you'll have to look at microfiche of newspapers at the time since the Internet wasn't around at the time. It'd be in the late 80's during the school year. I was in Texas at the time, so it'd be a good start for you.


why's the burden of proof on me for something you said that's incorrect?


It's not incorrect, for one. I was there -- I know what happened during my life. Just because you weren't there, doesn't mean it didn't happen. Secondly, I can't exactly post microfiche for you, can I? And I don't think you live in Portland for us to go together to the library to look for the information.


prayer is only prohibited in public schools if it is organized, they aren't roaming the lunchrooms looking to pick off kids with their hands folded and drag them in front of a magistrate; if the interpretation in your school was that any form of public display that could be constituted as prayer was banned, that was wrong


Look, I doubt you were even born at the time so you don't know what happened. And yes, if they caught you praying before eating lunch, you got dragged to the principle's office and suspended for, I think, three days. The whole ordeal happened over the span of a few months, and it's one of those things that if you weren't there, you'd think it never happened.

Look, I remember Jimmy Carter being president. I grew up with Reagan and the Cold War and being worried about a global nuclear war. I was nearly an adult when the first World Trade Center bombing occurred. I watched Desert Storm in my Junior High classroom. I watched the Challenger disaster live on T.V. I was in high school when the Internet came out. These are things that, even if you remember some of them, is a faint pittance in your mind. I know what happened, you weren't there, you didn't experience it for yourself, and you shouldn't question someone who was there. I don't think you'd question a Vietnam survivor about what he said happened when he was in Vietnam.
Aegraen
Profile Blog Joined May 2009
United States1225 Posts
August 17 2009 12:35 GMT
#138
Nexus, it's futile to argue on this. They don't understand that allowing this to be taught isn't a violation of Church and State because for one, it is neither forcing nor coercing anyone into a set of beliefs that they do not follow. Seperation of Church and State means that the State does not endorse a State religion; such as Britain and Church of England.

The Secularists hold mantle and promote their beliefs in lieu of allowing the prospect and ability for other viewpoints. Neither forced, but allowing differing viewpoints on subject matter is a good thing. In any event this is why I said at the onset as long as Secularists bias, views, courses, etc. are in the schools so shall be religious. However, I believe the best benefit is that neither secularist nor religious matters are brought into school. It is my belief that, that subject matter is better suited for your family and home life.

Anyways, it's pretty futile because they believe that any mention of religion goes against "Church and State" which is false as evidenced by all the scripture on national buildings, monuments, and in our Founding Declarations.

Even, I an agnostic can attest to the aforementioned having no agenda of promotion involved. Facts are there.
"It is easy to be conspicuously 'compassionate' if others are being forced to pay the cost." -- Murray N. Rothbard -- Rand Paul 2010 -- Ron Paul 2012
benjammin
Profile Blog Joined August 2008
United States2728 Posts
August 17 2009 12:35 GMT
#139
On August 17 2009 21:30 NExUS1g wrote:
Show nested quote +
On August 17 2009 21:19 benjammin wrote:
On August 17 2009 21:16 NExUS1g wrote:
On August 17 2009 21:14 benjammin wrote:
On August 17 2009 21:01 NExUS1g wrote:
On August 17 2009 20:50 benjammin wrote:
On August 17 2009 20:42 NExUS1g wrote:
On August 17 2009 20:34 benjammin wrote:
On August 17 2009 20:23 NExUS1g wrote:
On August 17 2009 20:16 benjammin wrote:
[quote]

the law is REQUIRING the teaching


No it isn't.

The law says:
ELECTIVE COURSES ON THE BIBLE'S HEBREW
SCRIPTURES (OLD TESTAMENT) AND NEW TESTAMENT AND THEIR IMPACT ON
THE HISTORY AND LITERATURE OF WESTERN CIVILIZATION.

These courses are ELECTIVES, not requirements of the students, and is secular in its teaching.


it is requiring the schools to offer the courses, i didn't mean that the students were required to take them, school administrators are powerless if they feel uncomfortable about this policy

can you provide a source where individual displays of prayer are banned in public schools? teacher-led public prayer is (and should be) banned


http://www.forerunner.com/forerunner/X0098_Ban_on_school_prayer.html Here's an article I found.

This was when I was a kid that prayer was banned when I was in middle-school in the late 80's. I was also in school where teacher-led prayer was allowed prior to the banning of all prayer, including personal prayer.

The statute requires public schools to make this elective available, but it is a secular teaching, not a religious one.



As you might have already noticed on Mr. Barton’s graph, America’s moral decline rapidly accelerated following one event – the U.S. Supreme Court’s removal of prayer from our nation’s schools.


come on now, provide a real source, the 1962 supreme court ruling bans teacher-led prayer in schools, nothing else



I was there, I'm sorry that isn't enough of a "real source" for you. It was related to the "prayer around the flagpole" that happened at about that time. I imagine you'll have to look at microfiche of newspapers at the time since the Internet wasn't around at the time. It'd be in the late 80's during the school year. I was in Texas at the time, so it'd be a good start for you.


why's the burden of proof on me for something you said that's incorrect?


It's not incorrect, for one. I was there -- I know what happened during my life. Just because you weren't there, doesn't mean it didn't happen. Secondly, I can't exactly post microfiche for you, can I? And I don't think you live in Portland for us to go together to the library to look for the information.


prayer is only prohibited in public schools if it is organized, they aren't roaming the lunchrooms looking to pick off kids with their hands folded and drag them in front of a magistrate; if the interpretation in your school was that any form of public display that could be constituted as prayer was banned, that was wrong


Look, I doubt you were even born at the time so you don't know what happened. And yes, if they caught you praying before eating lunch, you got dragged to the principle's office and suspended for, I think, three days. The whole ordeal happened over the span of a few months, and it's one of those things that if you weren't there, you'd think it never happened.

Look, I remember Jimmy Carter being president. I grew up with Reagan and the Cold War and being worried about a global nuclear war. I was nearly an adult when the first World Trade Center bombing occurred. I watched Desert Storm in my Junior High classroom. I watched the Challenger disaster live on T.V. I was in high school when the Internet came out. These are things that, even if you remember some of them, is a faint pittance in your mind. I know what happened, you weren't there, you didn't experience it for yourself, and you shouldn't question someone who was there. I don't think you'd question a Vietnam survivor about what he said happened when he was in Vietnam.


i would if the things he were saying were not true, and if that's what was happening at your school (which i have a hard time believing but whatever), it was not in accordance with any supreme court decisions about prayer in schools. i'd say it might have been a local thing, but if you were in texas that's even harder to believe. if that was really the case, blame incompetent school administrators
wash uffitizi, drive me to firenze
Aegraen
Profile Blog Joined May 2009
United States1225 Posts
Last Edited: 2009-08-17 12:39:18
August 17 2009 12:39 GMT
#140
On August 17 2009 21:12 benjammin wrote:
@aeg

...what? to quote a founding father:

Show nested quote +
Believing with you that religion is a matter which lies solely between Man & his God, that he owes account to none other for his faith or his worship, that the legitimate powers of government reach actions only, & not opinions, I contemplate with sovereign reverence that act of the whole American people which declared that their legislature should "make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof," thus building a wall of separation between Church & State.


and before you misinterpret 'free exercise thereof', read more about supreme court history


also, you grossly smear hugo black there, but see: kwark's sig, i hope people have stopped placing any value or belief in anything that you post


"Make no law respecting an establishment of religion"

This means that congress shall make no law establishing a State Religion. It does not mean that everything related to religion shall not be uttered or receive aid by the State. Look at all national monuments, statues, and our Founding Declarations which all involve God. They included that in the First Amendment to prevent a Theocracy.

"It is easy to be conspicuously 'compassionate' if others are being forced to pay the cost." -- Murray N. Rothbard -- Rand Paul 2010 -- Ron Paul 2012
Prev 1 5 6 7 8 9 30 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Patches Events
00:00
Patch Clash S1 Special #1
RotterdaM1027
TKL 383
IndyStarCraft 252
Liquipedia
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
RotterdaM 1027
ByuN 438
TKL 383
IndyStarCraft 252
Reynor 162
BRAT_OK 43
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 51104
Calm 2718
Shuttle 457
actioN 172
firebathero 116
Mini 83
Mong 39
soO 23
Pusan 18
Aegong 17
[ Show more ]
scan(afreeca) 16
Sacsri 6
White-Ra 3
Dota 2
Gorgc11094
Counter-Strike
fl0m5989
Heroes of the Storm
Grubby2367
Liquid`Hasu418
MindelVK11
Other Games
Liquid`RaSZi2000
FrodaN1315
B2W.Neo716
olofmeister490
Khaldor468
KnowMe319
crisheroes178
Livibee174
ToD91
Mew2King78
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick358
BasetradeTV200
[ Show 19 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Hinosc 34
• Adnapsc2 14
• Reevou 6
• niya90s 1
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• Airneanach71
• Azhi_Dahaki22
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• WagamamaTV516
Counter-Strike
• C_a_k_e 1641
Other Games
• imaqtpie755
• Shiphtur720
• tFFMrPink 11
Upcoming Events
BSL Open Qualifier
1h 8m
BSL Open Qualifier
1h 8m
OSC
5h 8m
Replay Cast
5h 8m
OSC
18h 8m
WardiTV Weekly
1d 17h
PiGosaur Cup
2 days
Kung Fu Cup
2 days
The PondCast
3 days
Online Event
4 days
[ Show More ]
Korean StarCraft League
5 days
Afreeca Starleague
5 days
Rush vs Soulkey
CranKy Ducklings
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
HCC Season 3
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.