• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 23:01
CEST 05:01
KST 12:01
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)54Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double
Tourneys
Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) 2026 GSTL Grand Finals SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ] ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
Bot on ladder Fantasy returning? BW General Discussion ASL22 General Discussion a Announcement on the JEDI Ringing
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread All you football fans (soccer)!
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 7447 users

[H] DotA items - Page 4

Forum Index > General Games
Post a Reply
Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 33 34 35 Next All
rpf
Profile Blog Joined January 2007
United States2705 Posts
July 12 2007 19:50 GMT
#61
Where can I find some good replays? I've downloaded some, but they were either corrupt, on an older version and I didn't have the map, or there was a note saying the replay sucked or something.

What I was asking about the bracer thing is that it seems like everyone gets them in pairs. I was just unsure if there's a specific reason or some underlying logic in getting *two* as opposed to just getting one. Do you get what I mean?
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." - Sigmund Freud
paper
Profile Blog Joined September 2004
13197 Posts
Last Edited: 2007-07-12 20:00:06
July 12 2007 19:58 GMT
#62
On July 13 2007 04:50 rpf wrote:
Where can I find some good replays? I've downloaded some, but they were either corrupt, on an older version and I didn't have the map, or there was a note saying the replay sucked or something.

What I was asking about the bracer thing is that it seems like everyone gets them in pairs. I was just unsure if there's a specific reason or some underlying logic in getting *two* as opposed to just getting one. Do you get what I mean?


no reason for getting two~
it's entirely situational

but i do see a lot of people getting two bracers in pubs
i guess two bracers generally give enough hp to survive until the hero can get his core items :}

edit: but, as stated before, if you can forgo bracers, all the better :}
Hates Fun🤔
rpf
Profile Blog Joined January 2007
United States2705 Posts
July 12 2007 20:51 GMT
#63
Ah, okay. I didn't know if it was like, "Get two of these so that xyz, etc."

That made no sense so I hope you got it. ^^ I didn't know if it was just some intricacy.

Okay so:

Str: heart
Agi: bfly/radiance/mael
Int: guin
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." - Sigmund Freud
Manit0u
Profile Blog Joined August 2004
Poland17845 Posts
July 12 2007 21:47 GMT
#64
On July 13 2007 05:51 rpf wrote:
Ah, okay. I didn't know if it was like, "Get two of these so that xyz, etc."

That made no sense so I hope you got it. ^^ I didn't know if it was just some intricacy.

Okay so:

Str: heart
Agi: bfly/radiance/mael
Int: guin


Why the hell radiance on agi?! Pointless. Bfly/mkb/mael.
Radiance is for specter, and some melee heroes in general but it's not as good as other items you can get for the similar price (mkb for instance is 10x better imo).
Time is precious. Waste it wisely.
ToT)BrAiN(
Profile Joined March 2003
Austria899 Posts
July 12 2007 23:10 GMT
#65
On July 13 2007 05:51 rpf wrote:
Ah, okay. I didn't know if it was like, "Get two of these so that xyz, etc."

That made no sense so I hope you got it. ^^ I didn't know if it was just some intricacy.

Okay so:

Str: heart
Agi: bfly/radiance/mael
Int: guin


dota doesnt work like that

depends on who you play against, what the other people on your team play and what items they get, etc

good replays:
www.dota-allstars.com

forum
competitve forum

downloaded VP vs SK last night, awesome games from 2 of the best teams out there
was played -xl tho, which i dont like very much, apdraft is more fun imo
rpf
Profile Blog Joined January 2007
United States2705 Posts
July 13 2007 05:17 GMT
#66
Brain, I know DotA doesn't work like that. I just need a "default" plan in mind for when I'm playing a hero I'm not familiar with. For example, the first hero I got to know is Razor, so I go bands or bracers, BoS, Mael, BoT, Mjoll on him. But I won't do the same on another agi hero because other heroes don't benefit from Mael as much as Razor does, which I figured out on my own.

But the next time I played another agi hero, I didn't know what to get, so I ended up doing the exact same build until I realized I should have gone bfly.

The biggest problem I have now is learning which items to get on which heroes, and why. For example last night I got sat on dragon knight, and my team yelled at me because I didn't go battle fury or vanguard. I didn't realize the lifesteal was useless for me because of the passive regen on him already, but I thought it'd be a great item for any str hero, so.

But like I said, I just need a "default" build for each stat so that I have some to fall back on, even if it isn't the best build possible.
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." - Sigmund Freud
rpf
Profile Blog Joined January 2007
United States2705 Posts
July 13 2007 09:07 GMT
#67
Why do people like the mkb so much? A chance to get an extra 100 damage on a chanelled spell doesn't seem that great.

And is there a place online that has the cookie cutter builds for each hero?
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." - Sigmund Freud
Dark.Carnival
Profile Blog Joined November 2006
United States5095 Posts
July 13 2007 09:31 GMT
#68
its a chance to do 100 dmg on attack +slight stun. also has a chance to cancel channeling spells(i think? for some reason im not sure about this). and adds a nice amount of damage.
@QxGDarkCell ._.
JeeJee
Profile Blog Joined July 2003
Canada5652 Posts
July 13 2007 09:33 GMT
#69
i believe mkb is one of the best (if not the best) gold/dmg ratio and consists of fairly small parts, so it's pretty easy to get
(\o/)  If you want it, you find a way. Otherwise you find excuses. No exceptions.
 /_\   aka Shinbi (requesting a name change since 27/05/09 ☺)
Ack1027
Profile Blog Joined January 2004
United States7873 Posts
Last Edited: 2007-07-13 10:01:10
July 13 2007 09:59 GMT
#70
Those were for pub/half-serious games.

Yes of course you need bkb on sven, that build fucking destroys lina, lesh, cm etc...

Sniper you need to just last hit like a mother fucker and get up your damage mkb is okay if there's a shit load of casters and you need as much ministun from headshot and mkb as possible. If not you can always go straight skadi [ I never do this unless it's qop ] or just go for the now useless sheepstick build on him [ His ulti used to be 5 or around there now it's 8 seconds at level 3 cooldown so sheepstick regen was nice ]

Gorgon: Yet to really see her used in league games...

Stygian > Mkb at gold dmg ratio, was proven I guess I could find it for you if you want.....There's some crazy matheletes over at the dota forums.


And to clear it up mkb is like headshot in that it has a random chance to ministun [ cancelling channeling spells, among other things ] and that ministun does a bonus +100 damage. Does not stack with headshot. Yeah the wording is a little confusing on that item. I used to think it did 100 extra damage on a channeled spell to till I realized that his only ' channel ' is assassinate.
Ack1027
Profile Blog Joined January 2004
United States7873 Posts
Last Edited: 2007-07-13 10:17:04
July 13 2007 10:13 GMT
#71
Here's two games of mine:

http://www.mediafire.com/?5xoxn0xmwoj

First one is a lot more lax than the second, it's an inhouse between friends. It was the first inhouse league style [ it's -xl ] for a guy we ended up picking up on our team. He posts here as Judicator in game he is Impulsive. I'm DA ILLEST NIGGA. I was hosting listchecker so that's why I could have spaces in my name. I play QoP in this game and I do some of the best last hitting I've done in a while in the lane against one of the more decent players on my team + another guy. Things to watch for is how to last hit team battles and just basic mechanics. It's boring but good stuff to learn if you're new I guess.


http://www.mediafire.com/?3ugbzqpd4co

This second game is a CAL-IM League match against team r1ce who is pretty good on the smaller scale of dota [ not international pro teams ] and they have a pretty good record against good teams in North America. This is the second game and it's -lm [ sent heroes vs scourge heroes ] where we got our dicks sucked in the first but this was a very fun game to win against them. My shadowfiend is pretty good this game. I'm only dead for a minute and 12 seconds in this entire 63:43 fiasco. This was probably our team's best scourge -lm lineup.

End game screenshot here: http://img507.imageshack.us/img507/5791/calmwinvsr1cesh3.jpg
This was probably 3-4 months ago.
rpf
Profile Blog Joined January 2007
United States2705 Posts
Last Edited: 2007-07-13 12:12:29
July 13 2007 11:34 GMT
#72
The items themselves really overwhelm me. I've yet to use them all, so that's part of the problem.

But let me get a few things straight:

1. Start off with either (a) +stats, such as bracers/bands/talismans, or (b) regen items, such as RoR, RoB, RoH, or work towards hood/mek/perseverance.

2. BoS

3. Work on your first core item. This could be one that improves your abilities, like a Vanguard, or one that fills in where you're otherwise lacking, like a dagger or lothar's.

4. Work on a more expensive item. This usually contains an expensive weapon from the secret shop, whereas the item in (3) does not.

Does this seem about right? It seems to be the pattern I notice most people follow.

Edit: What do the orb effects on the bkb and mkb do?
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." - Sigmund Freud
Jyvblamo
Profile Blog Joined June 2006
Canada13788 Posts
July 13 2007 12:17 GMT
#73
Personally, at the very beginning of games I get RoR, Bracer or Circlet, and Tangos. This is for every hero, unless I get a nuker, in which case I buy some clarities instead of RoR. Of course, I'm not a competitive player, but I usually manage to dominate pubs with this opener. After that, it all depends on the heroes.

Later on, if you have absolutely no idea what to get and you have a Strength/Agi hero, I suggest you buy a Heart.
Ditto with Euls for int heroes.

It works fine for me. :|
paper
Profile Blog Joined September 2004
13197 Posts
July 13 2007 17:29 GMT
#74
BKB and MKB don't have orb effects :s

and stygian is a very effective item that aids the entire team and dishes out more damage than the buriza against lower armor heroes, given that your damage output isn't that high to begin with.
Hates Fun🤔
lololol
Profile Joined February 2006
5198 Posts
Last Edited: 2007-07-13 18:20:18
July 13 2007 18:17 GMT
#75
Since you asked, regen is
HP: 0.25 + 0.03 * STR + flat regen bonus by items/skills
MANA: (0.01 + 0.04 * INT) * (100% + % increasing items) + flat bonus by brilliance auras

On July 14 2007 02:29 paper wrote:
BKB and MKB don't have orb effects :s

and stygian is a very effective item that aids the entire team and dishes out more damage than the buriza against lower armor heroes, given that your damage output isn't that high to begin with.


Your damage being high or low does not make a difference, since both criticals and armor reduction increase your damage by %, what matters is opponents armor, since around 5-10 armor the desolator is a lot more effective than a buriza. Even with higher(or lower) armor amounts the Desolator is more cost efficient than the Buriza, but obviously it's not so much space efficient ;P
I'll call Nada.
rpf
Profile Blog Joined January 2007
United States2705 Posts
July 13 2007 18:32 GMT
#76
I want to share my builds with you guys, and I want to know what you think.

Sniper:
4 tangos/2 circlets/2 gauntlets
finish bracers/bos
alacrity
claymore
lothar's

(Where should I go from here?)

Drow:
Same as above. :/

Clinkz:
Same as above, but I go for mbk instead

Razor/Gorgon

I have trouble here because of chain lightning being spammable, and not having regen items is a bitch.

So, I'm stuck between:

a. 4 tangos/work on 2 bracers

or

b. basilius/4 tangos (should I go headdress after this to even out the regen?)

After that, though, I go:

boots
mael
bot
mjoll

Thoughts?
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." - Sigmund Freud
Manit0u
Profile Blog Joined August 2004
Poland17845 Posts
July 13 2007 19:06 GMT
#77
On July 14 2007 03:32 rpf wrote:
I want to share my builds with you guys, and I want to know what you think.

Sniper:
4 tangos/2 circlets/2 gauntlets
finish bracers/bos
alacrity
claymore
lothar's

(Where should I go from here?)

Drow:
Same as above. :/

Clinkz:
Same as above, but I go for mbk instead

Razor/Gorgon

I have trouble here because of chain lightning being spammable, and not having regen items is a bitch.

So, I'm stuck between:

a. 4 tangos/work on 2 bracers

or

b. basilius/4 tangos (should I go headdress after this to even out the regen?)

After that, though, I go:

boots
mael
bot
mjoll

Thoughts?


You really don't need lothar's so much, unless enemy team is ganking you like mad. It's usually better to go straight damage on this heroes so for sniper mkb/deso and for drow mkb/butterfly.

btw. the last game I played was such a horrible experience -mr (turned out to be teamrandom), I got viper, was owning enemies pretty bad but my team fed them nicely and later in the game the horror, the horror! Drow, Venge, Luna... Drow had butterfly, mkb and buriza. When vs and luna were around her damage oscilated around +450-500... Owned our whole team before we could do anything.
Time is precious. Waste it wisely.
rpf
Profile Blog Joined January 2007
United States2705 Posts
Last Edited: 2007-07-13 20:24:53
July 13 2007 20:24 GMT
#78
The only reason I go Lothar's is because I really have no other way to escape otherwise.

There's so many items. I get so overwhelmed because I have no idea what to get with whom. They all seem cool for one reason or another.

Edit: Is there some place online where I can find cookie cutter build guides for each hero?
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." - Sigmund Freud
{ToT}Strafe
Profile Blog Joined October 2004
Thailand7026 Posts
July 13 2007 22:40 GMT
#79
disgusting rpf. all of them
Ack1027
Profile Blog Joined January 2004
United States7873 Posts
Last Edited: 2007-07-13 22:48:25
July 13 2007 22:48 GMT
#80
Well I usually don't recommend guides to people who are just learning the game but:

http://forums.dota-allstars.com/index.php?showforum=276

Those are the best you'll find. Some of those guides are actually very good though I must say because they are written with the aid of some pro players.

They have everything from how to play, what to do against what heroes, item builds, skill builds, exact item orders, core items into late game. It pretty much spoon feeds you how to play dota.

If I remember correctly when I first started playing [6.19b] I was not at all overwhelmed by items and because I was literate it was very easy to learn what all the items did. I was more overwhelmed by the vast amount of heroes. I usually just stole item builds from things I saw in pubs or just general things like sheepstick for int, heart for str, and butterfly for agi. Just remember to have fun first and try out all the items you want.

I feel kinda bad for new players because back when I started almost all the changes were based on some heroes being extremely ridiculous and gaping glitch holes in the game. Nowadays Icefrog has completely changed his agenda for competitive level dota [ not to blame dota is growing very fast ] and now all his changes revolve around small details after the huge game overhaul [ wagons, tower's not regenerating, deny being worth a lot less, no aegis ] Imo it's a lot harder for people to learn the game now as to where before I could confidently say anyone with an above average learning curve could get good at dota.

Also I think that he should be introducing more items and not more heroes, but in general the game is doing okay for now and he should just stick to improvements and not introducing new material. I guess it was easier for me to learn items since ALL the new items at the new item shop did not exist. They are also among the most wordy descriptions. Hey, if you want I guess you could even download an old version of dota and play around with friends. [ I went back to the 5 versions and played ] It's a lot different and you really learn how the changes effect the game. In the 5.xx versions there was absolutely no way to juke anywhere through trees and fog was more ridiculous than starcraft. You really appreciate the map nowadays and it's one of the best assets for a player to know the map like the back of your hand.

And finally, the worst feeling I have for new people is that they now have a very small chance to try out the divine aegis combo in pubs. When I started out every 1/5 games there was a divine. Now it's like 1 in every 15. Hell people even stacked multiple divines because aegis had 3 charges.

Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 33 34 35 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
OSC
00:00
OSC Elite Rising Star #21
CranKy Ducklings89
Liquipedia
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
RuFF_SC2 179
ProTech118
StarCraft: Brood War
Rain 2354
Shuttle 1635
Artosis 573
Bale 70
NaDa 31
Dewaltoss 11
Dota 2
NeuroSwarm144
League of Legends
JimRising 629
Counter-Strike
taco 355
Super Smash Bros
hungrybox727
Mew2King73
Heroes of the Storm
Khaldor898
Other Games
summit1g9261
C9.Mang0310
PiGStarcraft296
ArmadaUGS61
ViBE59
Organizations
Other Games
BasetradeTV235
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream103
[ Show 14 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• CranKy Ducklings SOOP142
• Hupsaiya 122
• davetesta16
• Letter146
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
League of Legends
• Lourlo522
Other Games
• Scarra783
Upcoming Events
Stellar Fest
9h 59m
OSC
18h 59m
CranKy Ducklings
1d 6h
Online Event
1d 7h
FEL
1d 12h
AI Arena Tournament
1d 13h
BSL: Ladder Tournament
1d 15h
Sparkling Tuna Cup
2 days
INu's Battles
2 days
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
BSL Open Qualifier
2 days
[ Show More ]
BSL Open Qualifier
2 days
Replay Cast
2 days
Afreeca Starleague
3 days
Rush vs Light
WardiTV Weekly
3 days
Replay Cast
3 days
Afreeca Starleague
4 days
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
4 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
4 days
The PondCast
6 days
INu's Battles
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-30
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.