• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 18:10
CEST 00:10
KST 07:10
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup4StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)66Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2315
StarCraft 2
General
How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? October World Ranking: herO stays #1, ByuN returns SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) Awesome/Confusing SC2 BM
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ]
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
Sagi.gg Launcher Released RepMastered™: replay sharing and analyzer site Bot on ladder BW General Discussion BSL Season 23
Tourneys
2v2v2v2 Tournament [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 8093 users

General Discussion - Page 25

Forum Index > General Games
Post a Reply
Prev 1 23 24 25 26 27 176 Next
Please be advised:

We will be closing this General thread in 24 hours. It will remain searchable.

After that we will require new threads to discuss topics.

Questions should go in the stickied Q&A thread, screenshots and PotG will go in the PotG sticky, QQ/Rage/Complaints should go in the QQ/Rage thread. If you want to talk about maps or strategies open a new thread.

Any comments or concerns will be logged please forward them to ZeromuS. This new forum is still fluid so we will try this out. General TL rules will still apply to new threads.
Spaylz
Profile Blog Joined March 2010
Japan1743 Posts
November 17 2014 20:55 GMT
#481
On November 18 2014 05:42 Wuster wrote:
Show nested quote +
On November 17 2014 22:36 Yacobs wrote:
On November 17 2014 11:13 Yoav wrote:
On November 17 2014 06:16 Yacobs wrote:
On November 17 2014 05:38 [SXG]Phantom wrote:
Well, you could say what you want about D3, sc2, wow and whatever, but the fact is that those 3 are the most succesful games of their genre.


Depends on how you define successful. WoW is obviously the most successful MMORPG but I'd argue D2 and SC1 were far, far more successful than their sequels.


Best selling PC games of all time. Number at left is rank. Number at right is millions of copies sold.
1. Minecraft.....................17
2. World of Warcraft.....14
3. Diablo 3.....................12

4. Half Life 2...................12
5. Starcraft....................11
...
10-14. Starcraft 2...........6
...
16-20. Diablo 2...............4
...
24-31. Warcraft 3...........3

Starcraft is the only Blizzard game where the most recent iteration is not the most successful, commercially.


These figures are completely meaningless. You have to look at other quantitative things like how much money did Blizzard spend to develop those games versus the older games, is Blizzard growing as a company, as well as qualitative things like the impact of SC1/D2 on the industry versus the impact that SC2/D3 had (quantitative evidence for the qualitative: SC2/D3 had no impact -- do you see any SC2/D3 clones in the pipeline?) and changes in Blizzard's reputation.


You can read Blizzard quarterly report if you like and they are growing every quarter as far as I recall. So ya, they're definitely succeeding financially. Do you have numbers where they're hemorrhaging money to show otherwise?

As for the rest, I don't think you really mean 'qualitative'. I don't think I would trust anyone giving me a 'qualitative' reputation or impact score.

Besides, RTS was a dead genre before SC2 how much are you gonna rip on Blizzard for RTS staying a dead genre? Age of Empire Online shut down after a year and C&C's latest RTS was so successful they followed up by turning C&C a Clash of Clans clone.

There was Company of Heroes though, not sure how that ended up doing.

Show nested quote +
On November 17 2014 23:14 FeyFey wrote:
On November 17 2014 20:02 ahswtini wrote:
Yeah, will be interesting to see the figures for Diablo 4


probably way higher since people often judge the game after its expansion. Like BW is the most epic multiplayer game of all time, while Sc1 was well not that fun in multiplayer.
Especially console people love D3 as it was already patched up quite nicely when released there. But some people were surprised by the minecraft approach D3 took I guess. As in improve the game with community feedback.


Definitely true, D2 wasn't really that perfect of a game, the expansion really cleaned it up and gave it longevity (plus some very serious patching to put in Ubers, respeccing, ect). Same thing RoS did with D3 sorta. Also, knowing Blizzard by the time D4 is ready the nostalgia factor will have kicked in and people will be praising D3 as amazing.

Further offtopic
+ Show Spoiler +
Having played Blizzard games since the beginning, it amazed me that people love WC3 so much when it was so reviled on release as not being an RTS and gender swapping Kerrigan and Raynor's story. I'm also amazed that people say LK was the best WoW expansion. When it came out, all people bitched about was how the casuals were taking over and class homogenization, ect, ect (DK's were broken though =p).

For the record I liked WC3 and LK a lot. I'm just remember reading so much hate when they came out and now all I hear is people praising them as the greatest things ever. Actually, when D3 came out I saw some clever posters copy-pasting D2 release hate threads for fun, and there were a lot. Maybe haters just give up and leave the rest of us alone to enjoy things and make good memories.



The nostalgia factor definitely matters. Many people do think Blizzard's game have generally gone down in quality, which quite frankly isn't surprising considering the absolute beasts they released before. They set the bar real high with BW and WC3. I feel like many people don't realise this, but WC3 revolutionized the gaming scene as we know it.

Though Aeons of Strife began in BW, it really evolved in WC3 and became Dota, which sprouted the whole MOBA genre. WC3 was also the precursor to the story of WoW, so there's that. In terms of gameplay, it also changed RTS quite drastically, and for the better. I'm very biased, because WC3 is the game of my heart, but still, these things are at least partially true xD.

I played D3 for two hours, and was incredibly bored. It's not my type of game though. I played D1 and D2 when I was younger, but never more than 10 hours or so. I tried SC2, and I genuinely think it's a good game, I just don't find it fun for me.

HotS is a pretty good game however. It's lots of fun, and I quite enjoy it. It gives me the "old Blizzard" vibe from WC3. Lately, it seems they're going back to a more "casual" trend with Hearthstone and HotS, where they focus more on "fun" gameplay rather than precise mechanics and deep strategy.

In any case, and while I am not as big a fanboy I used to be, I still dig Blizzard's game a lot. I don't care for SC2, but I will likely buy LotV just for the campaign. Overwatch doesn't interest me too much though.
I like words.
Miragee
Profile Joined December 2009
8709 Posts
November 17 2014 21:16 GMT
#482
On November 18 2014 05:42 Wuster wrote:
Show nested quote +
On November 17 2014 22:36 Yacobs wrote:
On November 17 2014 11:13 Yoav wrote:
On November 17 2014 06:16 Yacobs wrote:
On November 17 2014 05:38 [SXG]Phantom wrote:
Well, you could say what you want about D3, sc2, wow and whatever, but the fact is that those 3 are the most succesful games of their genre.


Depends on how you define successful. WoW is obviously the most successful MMORPG but I'd argue D2 and SC1 were far, far more successful than their sequels.


Best selling PC games of all time. Number at left is rank. Number at right is millions of copies sold.
1. Minecraft.....................17
2. World of Warcraft.....14
3. Diablo 3.....................12

4. Half Life 2...................12
5. Starcraft....................11
...
10-14. Starcraft 2...........6
...
16-20. Diablo 2...............4
...
24-31. Warcraft 3...........3

Starcraft is the only Blizzard game where the most recent iteration is not the most successful, commercially.


These figures are completely meaningless. You have to look at other quantitative things like how much money did Blizzard spend to develop those games versus the older games, is Blizzard growing as a company, as well as qualitative things like the impact of SC1/D2 on the industry versus the impact that SC2/D3 had (quantitative evidence for the qualitative: SC2/D3 had no impact -- do you see any SC2/D3 clones in the pipeline?) and changes in Blizzard's reputation.


You can read Blizzard quarterly report if you like and they are growing every quarter as far as I recall. So ya, they're definitely succeeding financially. Do you have numbers where they're hemorrhaging money to show otherwise?

As for the rest, I don't think you really mean 'qualitative'. I don't think I would trust anyone giving me a 'qualitative' reputation or impact score.

Besides, RTS was a dead genre before SC2 how much are you gonna rip on Blizzard for RTS staying a dead genre? Age of Empire Online shut down after a year and C&C's latest RTS was so successful they followed up by turning C&C a Clash of Clans clone.

There was Company of Heroes though, not sure how that ended up doing.

Show nested quote +
On November 17 2014 23:14 FeyFey wrote:
On November 17 2014 20:02 ahswtini wrote:
Yeah, will be interesting to see the figures for Diablo 4


probably way higher since people often judge the game after its expansion. Like BW is the most epic multiplayer game of all time, while Sc1 was well not that fun in multiplayer.
Especially console people love D3 as it was already patched up quite nicely when released there. But some people were surprised by the minecraft approach D3 took I guess. As in improve the game with community feedback.


Definitely true, D2 wasn't really that perfect of a game, the expansion really cleaned it up and gave it longevity (plus some very serious patching to put in Ubers, respeccing, ect). Same thing RoS did with D3 sorta. Also, knowing Blizzard by the time D4 is ready the nostalgia factor will have kicked in and people will be praising D3 as amazing.

Further offtopic
+ Show Spoiler +
Having played Blizzard games since the beginning, it amazed me that people love WC3 so much when it was so reviled on release as not being an RTS and gender swapping Kerrigan and Raynor's story. I'm also amazed that people say LK was the best WoW expansion. When it came out, all people bitched about was how the casuals were taking over and class homogenization, ect, ect (DK's were broken though =p).

For the record I liked WC3 and LK a lot. I'm just remember reading so much hate when they came out and now all I hear is people praising them as the greatest things ever. Actually, when D3 came out I saw some clever posters copy-pasting D2 release hate threads for fun, and there were a lot. Maybe haters just give up and leave the rest of us alone to enjoy things and make good memories.


Respeccing destroyed a lot of D2 though. I remember raging about it when they announced it. It was shortly after they announced D3 to have full respec at all time. People were mad and said D2 didn't have it and it was part of the fun. Then they suddenly brought a patch after like 2 years of no patches that introduced respec to D2. Blizzard so troll.
Yoav
Profile Joined March 2011
United States1874 Posts
November 17 2014 21:16 GMT
#483
It's the nature of things: if you want a hardcore experience, play something made by an indy or one-off studio or something similarly esoteric. If you want a game with broad appeal, look at an established game company. Back when Blizz was young and adventurous, they didn't give a shit that D2 is nigh on inaccessible without reading online guides.

Nowadays, they make things like SC2, D3 and Hearthstone. And you know what? I love D2 and BW, but it'a hell of a lot easier to get a bunch of friends together to play one of the newer games. We old-schoolers are just looking in the wrong place if we expect Blizz to cater to old-school gamers. If you want that, there are plenty of hardcore games out there. I'm gonna keep on playing the old Blizzard games from time to time, and I'll definitely buy new hardcore games, but I'm also perfectly happy that the new generation of Blizzard is making it easier to set up gaming parties...assuming you have rock-solid internet :-).
Wuster
Profile Joined May 2011
1974 Posts
November 17 2014 21:18 GMT
#484
On November 18 2014 06:16 Miragee wrote:
Show nested quote +
On November 18 2014 05:42 Wuster wrote:
On November 17 2014 22:36 Yacobs wrote:
On November 17 2014 11:13 Yoav wrote:
On November 17 2014 06:16 Yacobs wrote:
On November 17 2014 05:38 [SXG]Phantom wrote:
Well, you could say what you want about D3, sc2, wow and whatever, but the fact is that those 3 are the most succesful games of their genre.


Depends on how you define successful. WoW is obviously the most successful MMORPG but I'd argue D2 and SC1 were far, far more successful than their sequels.


Best selling PC games of all time. Number at left is rank. Number at right is millions of copies sold.
1. Minecraft.....................17
2. World of Warcraft.....14
3. Diablo 3.....................12

4. Half Life 2...................12
5. Starcraft....................11
...
10-14. Starcraft 2...........6
...
16-20. Diablo 2...............4
...
24-31. Warcraft 3...........3

Starcraft is the only Blizzard game where the most recent iteration is not the most successful, commercially.


These figures are completely meaningless. You have to look at other quantitative things like how much money did Blizzard spend to develop those games versus the older games, is Blizzard growing as a company, as well as qualitative things like the impact of SC1/D2 on the industry versus the impact that SC2/D3 had (quantitative evidence for the qualitative: SC2/D3 had no impact -- do you see any SC2/D3 clones in the pipeline?) and changes in Blizzard's reputation.


You can read Blizzard quarterly report if you like and they are growing every quarter as far as I recall. So ya, they're definitely succeeding financially. Do you have numbers where they're hemorrhaging money to show otherwise?

As for the rest, I don't think you really mean 'qualitative'. I don't think I would trust anyone giving me a 'qualitative' reputation or impact score.

Besides, RTS was a dead genre before SC2 how much are you gonna rip on Blizzard for RTS staying a dead genre? Age of Empire Online shut down after a year and C&C's latest RTS was so successful they followed up by turning C&C a Clash of Clans clone.

There was Company of Heroes though, not sure how that ended up doing.

On November 17 2014 23:14 FeyFey wrote:
On November 17 2014 20:02 ahswtini wrote:
Yeah, will be interesting to see the figures for Diablo 4


probably way higher since people often judge the game after its expansion. Like BW is the most epic multiplayer game of all time, while Sc1 was well not that fun in multiplayer.
Especially console people love D3 as it was already patched up quite nicely when released there. But some people were surprised by the minecraft approach D3 took I guess. As in improve the game with community feedback.


Definitely true, D2 wasn't really that perfect of a game, the expansion really cleaned it up and gave it longevity (plus some very serious patching to put in Ubers, respeccing, ect). Same thing RoS did with D3 sorta. Also, knowing Blizzard by the time D4 is ready the nostalgia factor will have kicked in and people will be praising D3 as amazing.

Further offtopic
+ Show Spoiler +
Having played Blizzard games since the beginning, it amazed me that people love WC3 so much when it was so reviled on release as not being an RTS and gender swapping Kerrigan and Raynor's story. I'm also amazed that people say LK was the best WoW expansion. When it came out, all people bitched about was how the casuals were taking over and class homogenization, ect, ect (DK's were broken though =p).

For the record I liked WC3 and LK a lot. I'm just remember reading so much hate when they came out and now all I hear is people praising them as the greatest things ever. Actually, when D3 came out I saw some clever posters copy-pasting D2 release hate threads for fun, and there were a lot. Maybe haters just give up and leave the rest of us alone to enjoy things and make good memories.


Respeccing destroyed a lot of D2 though. I remember raging about it when they announced it. It was shortly after they announced D3 to have full respec at all time. People were mad and said D2 didn't have it and it was part of the fun. Then they suddenly brought a patch after like 2 years of no patches that introduced respec to D2. Blizzard so troll.


Oh, not being able to respec was a huge frustration for me actually. And I'll admit I was long done with the game by the time it came out (it was what? over 10 years old by then?) so I was trying to infer what people enjoyed about D2 in addition to what I liked when playing.
-Celestial-
Profile Joined September 2011
United Kingdom3867 Posts
November 18 2014 10:49 GMT
#485
Bunch of pages bashing on Blizzard completely divorced from the actual topic. Why not go take it elsewhere and make a "Hate on Blizzard here" thread, guys? Rather than crapping up this thread?


Back on topic:
@zeross: Thanks for posting that. Personally I'm not sure that particular spectator setup is the best way to do it. Although its fairly "typical" for an FPS Overwatch's setup makes it like a DOTA-like and FPS hybrid. So a freemoving camera with an observer might give better angles to understand what's going on.

Game looks really fun to play though.
"Protoss simultaneously feels unbeatably strong and unwinnably weak." - kcdc
Sbrubbles
Profile Joined October 2010
Brazil5776 Posts
November 18 2014 14:01 GMT
#486
I hope they've finally ironed out the kinks on that elusive "LAN" technology.
Bora Pain minha porra!
SmoKim
Profile Joined March 2010
Denmark10305 Posts
November 18 2014 14:51 GMT
#487
This looks fucking awesome
"LOL I have 202 supply right now (3 minutes later)..."LOL NOW I HAVE 220 SUPPLY SUP?!?!?" - Mondragon
Animzor
Profile Joined March 2011
Sweden2154 Posts
November 18 2014 16:46 GMT
#488
On November 18 2014 23:01 Sbrubbles wrote:
I hope they've finally ironed out the kinks on that elusive "LAN" technology.


Why would there be LAN? this game will be all about microtransactions.
Sn0_Man
Profile Blog Joined October 2012
Tebellong44238 Posts
Last Edited: 2014-11-18 16:56:37
November 18 2014 16:49 GMT
#489
There *would* be lan, but you are going to have to pay to play different characters so they can't actually allow you to have lan or 3rd party servers etc.

If theres anything blizz has taught us, its that their greed triumphs over their customer's experience every time.
LiquidDota StaffSCIENTISTS BAFFLED | 3275929302
Chro
Profile Joined May 2010
United States240 Posts
November 18 2014 16:58 GMT
#490
The biggest issues will be

LAN
Custom servers/server management
Modding

This is the big problem when dealing with the FPS genre that blizzard may not be use to or know how to handle. FPSs revolve around owning your own servers and heavy modding to make it in the long run. I don't know if new blizzard has what it takes to let people do what they want to the game. Especially after dota, blizzard will own anything that you make for their game which i think will turn alot of people off to making great mods, like team fortress, weapons factory, rocket arena, team deathmatch and counter strike. People forget most great games came from mods of other ones.
Redox
Profile Joined October 2010
Germany24794 Posts
November 18 2014 17:03 GMT
#491
On November 19 2014 01:58 Chro wrote:
The biggest issues will be

LAN
Custom servers/server management
Modding

This is the big problem when dealing with the FPS genre that blizzard may not be use to or know how to handle. FPSs revolve around owning your own servers and heavy modding to make it in the long run. I don't know if new blizzard has what it takes to let people do what they want to the game. Especially after dota, blizzard will own anything that you make for their game which i think will turn alot of people off to making great mods, like team fortress, weapons factory, rocket arena, team deathmatch and counter strike. People forget most great games came from mods of other ones.

I would be extremely surprised if there was LAN or modding for this game. Just forget about it.
Off-season = best season
Plansix
Profile Blog Joined April 2011
United States60190 Posts
Last Edited: 2014-11-18 17:06:55
November 18 2014 17:06 GMT
#492
On November 19 2014 02:03 Redox wrote:
Show nested quote +
On November 19 2014 01:58 Chro wrote:
The biggest issues will be

LAN
Custom servers/server management
Modding

This is the big problem when dealing with the FPS genre that blizzard may not be use to or know how to handle. FPSs revolve around owning your own servers and heavy modding to make it in the long run. I don't know if new blizzard has what it takes to let people do what they want to the game. Especially after dota, blizzard will own anything that you make for their game which i think will turn alot of people off to making great mods, like team fortress, weapons factory, rocket arena, team deathmatch and counter strike. People forget most great games came from mods of other ones.

I would be extremely surprised if there was LAN or modding for this game. Just forget about it.

I mean, they could go the Dota 2 route with lan and have it be totally "meh". No replays, no hats, no custom anything, no dota TV. But the game totally works. I think thats the best route for games like that when it comes to lan. Just make sure the online features are worth connecting for.

But yeah, moding and lan are cool, but they are literally the last features I care about in a game at this point in my life.
I have the Honor to be your Obedient Servant, P.6
TL+ Member
Sn0_Man
Profile Blog Joined October 2012
Tebellong44238 Posts
November 18 2014 17:12 GMT
#493
On November 19 2014 02:06 Plansix wrote:
Show nested quote +
On November 19 2014 02:03 Redox wrote:
On November 19 2014 01:58 Chro wrote:
The biggest issues will be

LAN
Custom servers/server management
Modding

This is the big problem when dealing with the FPS genre that blizzard may not be use to or know how to handle. FPSs revolve around owning your own servers and heavy modding to make it in the long run. I don't know if new blizzard has what it takes to let people do what they want to the game. Especially after dota, blizzard will own anything that you make for their game which i think will turn alot of people off to making great mods, like team fortress, weapons factory, rocket arena, team deathmatch and counter strike. People forget most great games came from mods of other ones.

I would be extremely surprised if there was LAN or modding for this game. Just forget about it.

I mean, they could go the Dota 2 route with lan and have it be totally "meh". No replays, no hats, no custom anything, no dota TV. But the game totally works. I think thats the best route for games like that when it comes to lan. Just make sure the online features are worth connecting for.

But yeah, moding and lan are cool, but they are literally the last features I care about in a game at this point in my life.

they can only do that if the characters are free to play
this game is 10000000000% using the Heroes of the Storm (aka LoL) monetization system where you can't play a char without buying it. so it wont work.
LiquidDota StaffSCIENTISTS BAFFLED | 3275929302
Plansix
Profile Blog Joined April 2011
United States60190 Posts
November 18 2014 17:27 GMT
#494
On November 19 2014 02:12 Sn0_Man wrote:
Show nested quote +
On November 19 2014 02:06 Plansix wrote:
On November 19 2014 02:03 Redox wrote:
On November 19 2014 01:58 Chro wrote:
The biggest issues will be

LAN
Custom servers/server management
Modding

This is the big problem when dealing with the FPS genre that blizzard may not be use to or know how to handle. FPSs revolve around owning your own servers and heavy modding to make it in the long run. I don't know if new blizzard has what it takes to let people do what they want to the game. Especially after dota, blizzard will own anything that you make for their game which i think will turn alot of people off to making great mods, like team fortress, weapons factory, rocket arena, team deathmatch and counter strike. People forget most great games came from mods of other ones.

I would be extremely surprised if there was LAN or modding for this game. Just forget about it.

I mean, they could go the Dota 2 route with lan and have it be totally "meh". No replays, no hats, no custom anything, no dota TV. But the game totally works. I think thats the best route for games like that when it comes to lan. Just make sure the online features are worth connecting for.

But yeah, moding and lan are cool, but they are literally the last features I care about in a game at this point in my life.

they can only do that if the characters are free to play
this game is 10000000000% using the Heroes of the Storm (aka LoL) monetization system where you can't play a char without buying it. so it wont work.

Obviously, if the business model prohibited LAN from making business sense, it won't be a feature. Its like expecting LAN for WoW or some other game where they make money off of small purchases or a monthly fee.

And again, in the era of high speed internet, LAN is pretty low on my priority list of features. Right up their with "play by email".
I have the Honor to be your Obedient Servant, P.6
TL+ Member
Tribute
Profile Joined September 2010
United States146 Posts
November 18 2014 17:27 GMT
#495
On November 19 2014 02:12 Sn0_Man wrote:
Show nested quote +
On November 19 2014 02:06 Plansix wrote:
On November 19 2014 02:03 Redox wrote:
On November 19 2014 01:58 Chro wrote:
The biggest issues will be

LAN
Custom servers/server management
Modding

This is the big problem when dealing with the FPS genre that blizzard may not be use to or know how to handle. FPSs revolve around owning your own servers and heavy modding to make it in the long run. I don't know if new blizzard has what it takes to let people do what they want to the game. Especially after dota, blizzard will own anything that you make for their game which i think will turn alot of people off to making great mods, like team fortress, weapons factory, rocket arena, team deathmatch and counter strike. People forget most great games came from mods of other ones.

I would be extremely surprised if there was LAN or modding for this game. Just forget about it.

I mean, they could go the Dota 2 route with lan and have it be totally "meh". No replays, no hats, no custom anything, no dota TV. But the game totally works. I think thats the best route for games like that when it comes to lan. Just make sure the online features are worth connecting for.

But yeah, moding and lan are cool, but they are literally the last features I care about in a game at this point in my life.

they can only do that if the characters are free to play
this game is 10000000000% using the Heroes of the Storm (aka LoL) monetization system where you can't play a char without buying it. so it wont work.


What? How in the world would this work? A MOBA's pricing system doesn't work at all for this kind of game, purely because there's no room for growth. The only exception I've seen that's been successfully implemented recently is Killer Instinct, but even that has a cap on pricing, so it prices out to be the full value of a game. There's only 12(14?) characters in the game, if you monetize based on something this limited, you're guaranteed to lose. It makes way more sense that they follow the TF2 approach and sell increased amounts of cosmetics for their small pool of heroes.
Sn0_Man
Profile Blog Joined October 2012
Tebellong44238 Posts
Last Edited: 2014-11-18 17:33:51
November 18 2014 17:31 GMT
#496
On November 19 2014 02:27 Plansix wrote:
Show nested quote +
On November 19 2014 02:12 Sn0_Man wrote:
On November 19 2014 02:06 Plansix wrote:
On November 19 2014 02:03 Redox wrote:
On November 19 2014 01:58 Chro wrote:
The biggest issues will be

LAN
Custom servers/server management
Modding

This is the big problem when dealing with the FPS genre that blizzard may not be use to or know how to handle. FPSs revolve around owning your own servers and heavy modding to make it in the long run. I don't know if new blizzard has what it takes to let people do what they want to the game. Especially after dota, blizzard will own anything that you make for their game which i think will turn alot of people off to making great mods, like team fortress, weapons factory, rocket arena, team deathmatch and counter strike. People forget most great games came from mods of other ones.

I would be extremely surprised if there was LAN or modding for this game. Just forget about it.

I mean, they could go the Dota 2 route with lan and have it be totally "meh". No replays, no hats, no custom anything, no dota TV. But the game totally works. I think thats the best route for games like that when it comes to lan. Just make sure the online features are worth connecting for.

But yeah, moding and lan are cool, but they are literally the last features I care about in a game at this point in my life.

they can only do that if the characters are free to play
this game is 10000000000% using the Heroes of the Storm (aka LoL) monetization system where you can't play a char without buying it. so it wont work.

Obviously, if the business model prohibited LAN from making business sense, it won't be a feature. Its like expecting LAN for WoW or some other game where they make money off of small purchases or a monthly fee.

And again, in the era of high speed internet, LAN is pretty low on my priority list of features. Right up their with "play by email".

Well since no servers ever crash or get packet loss or ping spikes ever, I guess ur right LAN is overrated especially for an FPS where ping is crucial for good gameplay. Play by email would be just as good we can all agree

On November 19 2014 02:27 Tribute wrote:
Show nested quote +
On November 19 2014 02:12 Sn0_Man wrote:
On November 19 2014 02:06 Plansix wrote:
On November 19 2014 02:03 Redox wrote:
On November 19 2014 01:58 Chro wrote:
The biggest issues will be

LAN
Custom servers/server management
Modding

This is the big problem when dealing with the FPS genre that blizzard may not be use to or know how to handle. FPSs revolve around owning your own servers and heavy modding to make it in the long run. I don't know if new blizzard has what it takes to let people do what they want to the game. Especially after dota, blizzard will own anything that you make for their game which i think will turn alot of people off to making great mods, like team fortress, weapons factory, rocket arena, team deathmatch and counter strike. People forget most great games came from mods of other ones.

I would be extremely surprised if there was LAN or modding for this game. Just forget about it.

I mean, they could go the Dota 2 route with lan and have it be totally "meh". No replays, no hats, no custom anything, no dota TV. But the game totally works. I think thats the best route for games like that when it comes to lan. Just make sure the online features are worth connecting for.

But yeah, moding and lan are cool, but they are literally the last features I care about in a game at this point in my life.

they can only do that if the characters are free to play
this game is 10000000000% using the Heroes of the Storm (aka LoL) monetization system where you can't play a char without buying it. so it wont work.


What? How in the world would this work? A MOBA's pricing system doesn't work at all for this kind of game, purely because there's no room for growth. The only exception I've seen that's been successfully implemented recently is Killer Instinct, but even that has a cap on pricing, so it prices out to be the full value of a game. There's only 12(14?) characters in the game, if you monetize based on something this limited, you're guaranteed to lose. It makes way more sense that they follow the TF2 approach and sell increased amounts of cosmetics for their small pool of heroes.

? they have 12 characters NOW. There will eventually be 50+. There's literally no other reasonable way for them to monetize the game.
LiquidDota StaffSCIENTISTS BAFFLED | 3275929302
SKC
Profile Joined October 2010
Brazil18828 Posts
Last Edited: 2014-11-18 17:34:30
November 18 2014 17:32 GMT
#497
There is only 12 characters in the game so far. The could release more. I could easily see it having a similar model to Tribes Ascend where you have to unlock both classes and weapons

LAN is obviously far more important for an FPS. In other games you can get away with playing with latency even in LAN tournaments, you should not do that in a fast paced FPS.
Destructicon
Profile Blog Joined September 2011
4713 Posts
November 18 2014 17:33 GMT
#498
On November 19 2014 02:12 Sn0_Man wrote:
Show nested quote +
On November 19 2014 02:06 Plansix wrote:
On November 19 2014 02:03 Redox wrote:
On November 19 2014 01:58 Chro wrote:
The biggest issues will be

LAN
Custom servers/server management
Modding

This is the big problem when dealing with the FPS genre that blizzard may not be use to or know how to handle. FPSs revolve around owning your own servers and heavy modding to make it in the long run. I don't know if new blizzard has what it takes to let people do what they want to the game. Especially after dota, blizzard will own anything that you make for their game which i think will turn alot of people off to making great mods, like team fortress, weapons factory, rocket arena, team deathmatch and counter strike. People forget most great games came from mods of other ones.

I would be extremely surprised if there was LAN or modding for this game. Just forget about it.

I mean, they could go the Dota 2 route with lan and have it be totally "meh". No replays, no hats, no custom anything, no dota TV. But the game totally works. I think thats the best route for games like that when it comes to lan. Just make sure the online features are worth connecting for.

But yeah, moding and lan are cool, but they are literally the last features I care about in a game at this point in my life.

they can only do that if the characters are free to play
this game is 10000000000% using the Heroes of the Storm (aka LoL) monetization system where you can't play a char without buying it. so it wont work.


I'm not sure where you've drawn this conclusion from. There doesn't seem to be a big enough number of chars to sell them like Heroes or LoL does. It seems much more likely that this game will go the DoTA 2 and Team Fortress model where all the playable chars are unlocked for everyone and instead you have to buy customization for them, which includes anything from skins and new gun models to new sounds, animations and special effects.
WriterNever give up, never surrender! https://www.youtube.com/user/DestructiconSC
WolfintheSheep
Profile Joined June 2011
Canada14127 Posts
November 18 2014 17:54 GMT
#499
On November 19 2014 02:33 Destructicon wrote:
Show nested quote +
On November 19 2014 02:12 Sn0_Man wrote:
On November 19 2014 02:06 Plansix wrote:
On November 19 2014 02:03 Redox wrote:
On November 19 2014 01:58 Chro wrote:
The biggest issues will be

LAN
Custom servers/server management
Modding

This is the big problem when dealing with the FPS genre that blizzard may not be use to or know how to handle. FPSs revolve around owning your own servers and heavy modding to make it in the long run. I don't know if new blizzard has what it takes to let people do what they want to the game. Especially after dota, blizzard will own anything that you make for their game which i think will turn alot of people off to making great mods, like team fortress, weapons factory, rocket arena, team deathmatch and counter strike. People forget most great games came from mods of other ones.

I would be extremely surprised if there was LAN or modding for this game. Just forget about it.

I mean, they could go the Dota 2 route with lan and have it be totally "meh". No replays, no hats, no custom anything, no dota TV. But the game totally works. I think thats the best route for games like that when it comes to lan. Just make sure the online features are worth connecting for.

But yeah, moding and lan are cool, but they are literally the last features I care about in a game at this point in my life.

they can only do that if the characters are free to play
this game is 10000000000% using the Heroes of the Storm (aka LoL) monetization system where you can't play a char without buying it. so it wont work.


I'm not sure where you've drawn this conclusion from. There doesn't seem to be a big enough number of chars to sell them like Heroes or LoL does. It seems much more likely that this game will go the DoTA 2 and Team Fortress model where all the playable chars are unlocked for everyone and instead you have to buy customization for them, which includes anything from skins and new gun models to new sounds, animations and special effects.


There's 12 playable characters now, and at least another 12 in the from the concept art and splash screens. They're going to add plenty more.
Average means I'm better than half of you.
Excalibur_Z
Profile Joined October 2002
United States12257 Posts
November 18 2014 21:05 GMT
#500
I don't see a payment model that ISN'T a Heroes/LoL model as viable for this game. Paying for new heroes as they're released, having an ongoing cycle of free heroes, that makes the most sense to me. People seem to think the 12 characters they have now are it, but this game is a Dotalike-FPS fusion and there will absolutely be new playable characters introduced over time (they've explicitly said this) which they can monetize. I'm sure they can go down the Dota road of having everything free and include payable cosmetics, but there are extenuating circumstances that make that more well suited specifically to Dota/TF2 (in that Steam is a closed market which also contains a community marketplace). In order to do this, they would have to reintroduce the concept of a RMAH, and the Blizzard community may feel too burned by negative D3 experiences to be open to that, even if the items sold therein are solely cosmetic.
Moderator
Prev 1 23 24 25 26 27 176 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
BSL: Ladder Tournament
04:00
#2 - $100
ZZZero.O153
LiquipediaDiscussion
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
PiGStarcraft152
Nina 57
ViBE43
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 14270
ZZZero.O 153
Dewaltoss 138
firebathero 92
Hyuk 77
Terrorterran 21
Dota 2
NeuroSwarm109
febbydoto45
League of Legends
Doublelift3486
Counter-Strike
Fnx 803
Heroes of the Storm
Grubby5900
Other Games
summit1g6689
FrodaN2374
fl0m737
mouzStarbuck417
KnowMe274
JimRising 238
ToD204
ArmadaUGS132
Mew2King36
Railgan31
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick1160
BasetradeTV184
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream85
[ Show 15 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Hupsaiya 67
• musti20045 32
• Letter147
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
League of Legends
• Noizen112
Other Games
• imaqtpie786
• Shiphtur224
• tFFMrPink 18
Upcoming Events
Sparkling Tuna Cup
11h 50m
INu's Battles
13h 50m
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
Shopify Rebellion Sundays
16h 50m
MilkiCow vs TBD
Clem vs TBD
BSL Open Qualifier
20h 50m
BSL Open Qualifier
20h 50m
Replay Cast
1d
Afreeca Starleague
1d 11h
Rush vs Light
WardiTV Weekly
1d 12h
Monday Night Weeklies
1d 17h
Replay Cast
2 days
[ Show More ]
Afreeca Starleague
2 days
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
2 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
3 days
The PondCast
4 days
INu's Battles
4 days
Replay Cast
6 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-10-02
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
Copium Cup
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.