• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 22:13
CEST 04:13
KST 11:13
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
Rollback Netcode in Brood War585.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 202621Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)78
StarCraft 2
General
5.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 2026 [Old] StarCraft 3 Reportedly in Development StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)
Tourneys
$3,500 WardiTV Not-Summer Championship ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event RSL 2026 Offline Finals LCQ Sign-Ups Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) ISSL (IntoTheTV x SOOP SC2 League): Premier
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
Rollback Netcode in Brood War BGH Auto Balance -> http://bghmmr.eu/ Repalyzer - replay analysis app for StarCraft: Rem Fantasy returning? TL Sidebar missing streams
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Simple Questions, Simple Answers Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do?
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
[Manga] One Piece Movie Discussion! Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread TeamLiquid Health and Fitness Initiative For 2023 MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 9033 users

EVO 2011 Tournament Season - Page 205

Forum Index > General Games
Post a Reply
Prev 1 203 204 205 206 207 208 Next
disformation
Profile Joined July 2009
Germany8352 Posts
August 01 2011 15:25 GMT
#4081
On August 02 2011 00:17 nRoot wrote:
When did they mention he was sick? I watched almost the entire top8


I think it was UltraDavid who briefly mentioned it on Friday.
Seldentar
Profile Joined May 2011
United States888 Posts
August 01 2011 15:34 GMT
#4082
To be honest I was afraid it was just a mindless game captivating the masses with violence and "ooooh ahhh I have no idea what is happening but this looks cool..." I would hate seeing something like that grow so much. My bad for speaking out of ignorance, but I'm glad I did so I could discover the true nature of the game.

I think both the fighting game and the SC2 scenes have a lot to gain from working together.

P.S. LOL'd at myself irl when I found out EVO is the tournament not the game . Also, some of you gave extremely productive responses to my posts, props to you! ^^
Gretorp
Profile Blog Joined September 2008
United States586 Posts
August 01 2011 15:56 GMT
#4083
On August 01 2011 14:52 Scribble wrote:
Show nested quote +
On August 01 2011 14:25 Mitsuwa wrote:
On August 01 2011 14:24 Scribble wrote:
I don't know why I'm bothering but: honestly, why all the disrespect and petty bickering? Whether you love Starcraft or Street Fighter, or both, this weekend has been amazing. There was something for everyone and then some. It will benefit you to not sully your memories of such a good weekend with silly unnecessary arguments. Just appreciate that between MLG, GSL, and EVO, we were treated to something really special this weekend.

Enjoy it, don't ruin it for yourselves.


Couldn't of said it better myself. We are all gamers, share the hype.


<3

All weekend the scenes have been bleeding over. SC2 shoutouts at EVO, Gretorp with his NASL t-shirt at EVO, fighting game shoutouts from MLG, Artosis and Ski's exchanges on twitter, this thread right here at the heart of our Starcraft community, all the folks happily split-screening 4 streams on big screen TVs.

There's a lot of "let's grow e-sports," and "let's globalize e-sports," but this weekend we did something better. We went beyond bringing our passions to new audiences, we went beyond bringing nationalities together - though we did do all of that. This weekend, we tore barriers down and brought two very different communities together united under the banner of amazing pro gaming, and I'm damn proud to be apart of that.

Growing e-sports means more than bringing in new viewers, more than reaching a global audience, it's joining communities too. And we've done that. This weekend was not only amazing, exciting, dramatic, every positive adjective in the book, but it was a huge success.

Let's be civil and appreciate that.


lul that's my older brother... he is 3.5 years older than me. everyone says we're twins. I went to mlg for saturday and sunday so it couldn't have been me!@
I am Unheard Change
O-ops
Profile Joined February 2009
United States4236 Posts
August 01 2011 17:09 GMT
#4084
On August 02 2011 00:17 nRoot wrote:
Daigo was dropping a lot of combos sadly
Missed c.mp after command grab... Dunno if he ever missed that in the last month :/

When did they mention he was sick? I watched almost the entire top8


Seems like he only missed combos after that ass whooping he got from Poongko. Dude was on point before then.
Fan of the Jangbanger
O-ops
Profile Joined February 2009
United States4236 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-08-01 17:14:09
August 01 2011 17:11 GMT
#4085
Yo, I just realized this but Fuudo looks like Midas.

Fan of the Jangbanger
Zeddicus
Profile Blog Joined November 2010
United States239 Posts
August 01 2011 17:12 GMT
#4086
I came into the EVO stream from a retweet from SirScoots after MLG Finals had ended. I've played SF when I was much younger, on Sega. Never really placed it since though. I didn't recognize any character I saw on the stream. I hadn't looked at this community before though, aside from the "Amazing Comeback" youtube video where some guy blocks every hit of an e-honda 1000 hand slap with like a thread of life left and comes back to beat him. That was amazing.

Anyways, I don't know where I've been, this stuff is awesome. The crowd is right up there with MLG (perhaps even better). Lots of cheering. The frequency of game outcomes probably makes it easier to keep hype momentum. Awesome stuff though, to see fighting games played on this kind of level. I'm now a fan. I'm going to need to move just for ESPORTS because I can't get a good enough internet connection to watch more than 1 low quality stream at a time! lol. Red Stream Blue Stream, EVO stream, GSL stream.....
Mitsuwa
Profile Joined July 2010
United States793 Posts
August 01 2011 17:12 GMT
#4087
On August 02 2011 00:56 Gretorp wrote:
Show nested quote +
On August 01 2011 14:52 Scribble wrote:
On August 01 2011 14:25 Mitsuwa wrote:
On August 01 2011 14:24 Scribble wrote:
I don't know why I'm bothering but: honestly, why all the disrespect and petty bickering? Whether you love Starcraft or Street Fighter, or both, this weekend has been amazing. There was something for everyone and then some. It will benefit you to not sully your memories of such a good weekend with silly unnecessary arguments. Just appreciate that between MLG, GSL, and EVO, we were treated to something really special this weekend.

Enjoy it, don't ruin it for yourselves.


Couldn't of said it better myself. We are all gamers, share the hype.


<3

All weekend the scenes have been bleeding over. SC2 shoutouts at EVO, Gretorp with his NASL t-shirt at EVO, fighting game shoutouts from MLG, Artosis and Ski's exchanges on twitter, this thread right here at the heart of our Starcraft community, all the folks happily split-screening 4 streams on big screen TVs.

There's a lot of "let's grow e-sports," and "let's globalize e-sports," but this weekend we did something better. We went beyond bringing our passions to new audiences, we went beyond bringing nationalities together - though we did do all of that. This weekend, we tore barriers down and brought two very different communities together united under the banner of amazing pro gaming, and I'm damn proud to be apart of that.

Growing e-sports means more than bringing in new viewers, more than reaching a global audience, it's joining communities too. And we've done that. This weekend was not only amazing, exciting, dramatic, every positive adjective in the book, but it was a huge success.

Let's be civil and appreciate that.


lul that's my older brother... he is 3.5 years older than me. everyone says we're twins. I went to mlg for saturday and sunday so it couldn't have been me!@


LOL Gretorp. You get shoutouts anyway cause you are such a nerd baller :D
zoLo
Profile Blog Joined June 2007
United States5896 Posts
August 01 2011 18:00 GMT
#4088
On August 02 2011 02:12 Zeddicus wrote:
I came into the EVO stream from a retweet from SirScoots after MLG Finals had ended. I've played SF when I was much younger, on Sega. Never really placed it since though. I didn't recognize any character I saw on the stream. I hadn't looked at this community before though, aside from the "Amazing Comeback" youtube video where some guy blocks every hit of an e-honda 1000 hand slap with like a thread of life left and comes back to beat him. That was amazing.

Anyways, I don't know where I've been, this stuff is awesome. The crowd is right up there with MLG (perhaps even better). Lots of cheering. The frequency of game outcomes probably makes it easier to keep hype momentum. Awesome stuff though, to see fighting games played on this kind of level. I'm now a fan. I'm going to need to move just for ESPORTS because I can't get a good enough internet connection to watch more than 1 low quality stream at a time! lol. Red Stream Blue Stream, EVO stream, GSL stream.....


I personally think the fighting game scene has a more enthusiastic crowd at tournaments. The SC2 crowd at MLG's, Dream Hack, NASL, etc were great, but MLG Anaheim was pretty weak. The only time I heard loud cheering was usually when BoxeR or MMA was playing well. I dunno if it was the stream quality (my speakers are fine), but it sounded like the crowd was bias towards them. Then again, I didn't watch all the matches since I only got a chance to catch the last few on Sunday. I do remember clearly when MVP won against BoxeR, there was a very weak level of cheering. It's cool to cheer for your player, but when a player like MVP plays solid, he deserves some love at least.
GTR
Profile Blog Joined September 2004
51699 Posts
August 01 2011 18:27 GMT
#4089
On August 02 2011 02:11 O-ops wrote:
Yo, I just realized this but Fuudo looks like Midas.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8u_DemfpM0Q


if i'm not mistaken he won the vf5 tournament at wcg in 2009?
Commentator
udgnim
Profile Blog Joined April 2009
United States8024 Posts
August 01 2011 19:00 GMT
#4090
wonder if MLG will ever be able to pick up SF4/MvC3

I don't think the fighting game community necessarily needs it, but it would definitely help grow the community and introduce more money into the scene via prize pool and sponsors. after watching the Mike Ross documentary, this is very important to some people.

been reading about the controversy between MLG and Evo 2k5 and MLG being slow to give payouts to players. also read about 1 person basically trolling Capcom and ruining the relationship between MLG and Capcom.

guess old wounds don't heal very quickly and the general consensus seems to be that the fighting game community still has a poor impression of MLG. I'd hope with the addition of SC2 that these impressions will become more positive over time.

anyways, I think it's certain that League of Legends will eventually become a featured game at MLG. Riot will just embed the LoL MLG stream on their site and that will generate tons of views. so LoL will replace whatever is the current CoD iteration and MLG will be featuring Halo, LoL, and SC2. MLG might end up not having room for any type of fighting game unless it's off to the side and not streamed at all (MK9).
E-Sports is competitive video gaming with a spectator fan base. Do not take the word "Sports" literally.
Orpheos
Profile Joined April 2010
United States1663 Posts
August 01 2011 20:03 GMT
#4091
these commentators were really good. granted they did use alot of jargon, but Im not part of the community and I was pretty hyped just watching the end of the SF bracket.
Belgo
Profile Joined September 2009
United States721 Posts
August 01 2011 20:19 GMT
#4092
On August 02 2011 05:03 Orpheos wrote:
these commentators were really good. granted they did use alot of jargon, but Im not part of the community and I was pretty hyped just watching the end of the SF bracket.



They did a good job during pool play about explaining the jargon stuff, didn't really have the time between all the hypehypehype in top 8.
12 gateways being thrown down, which is standard transition after the two observatory opening
kainzero
Profile Blog Joined January 2009
United States5211 Posts
August 01 2011 20:31 GMT
#4093
On August 02 2011 04:00 udgnim wrote:
wonder if MLG will ever be able to pick up SF4/MvC3

I don't think the fighting game community necessarily needs it, but it would definitely help grow the community and introduce more money into the scene via prize pool and sponsors. after watching the Mike Ross documentary, this is very important to some people.

when i think about fighting games in the US, i think about how the community is largely responsible for its own success.

i like seeing it that way. that's how evo got as big it did.

levelup was just a bunch of guys who loved street fighter and learned how to stream from scratch. evo was just an ever expanding tournament that started in a small arcade. seth killian was originally a community guy, now he brings us news for all of capcom. markman was just a tekken guy who just liked joysticks. filthyrich was a guy i used to play tekken with, now he's community leader for bandainamco.

i think that's the amazing part, it's not something that was commercialized, it was something that the community built from scratch and is now reaping the benefits. the people responsible for producing it are largely the people who play the game. sponsors chase the players, not the other way around.

so i don't think mlg really matters
shawster
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
Canada2485 Posts
August 01 2011 20:41 GMT
#4094
On August 02 2011 05:31 kainzero wrote:
Show nested quote +
On August 02 2011 04:00 udgnim wrote:
wonder if MLG will ever be able to pick up SF4/MvC3

I don't think the fighting game community necessarily needs it, but it would definitely help grow the community and introduce more money into the scene via prize pool and sponsors. after watching the Mike Ross documentary, this is very important to some people.

when i think about fighting games in the US, i think about how the community is largely responsible for its own success.

i like seeing it that way. that's how evo got as big it did.

levelup was just a bunch of guys who loved street fighter and learned how to stream from scratch. evo was just an ever expanding tournament that started in a small arcade. seth killian was originally a community guy, now he brings us news for all of capcom. markman was just a tekken guy who just liked joysticks. filthyrich was a guy i used to play tekken with, now he's community leader for bandainamco.

i think that's the amazing part, it's not something that was commercialized, it was something that the community built from scratch and is now reaping the benefits. the people responsible for producing it are largely the people who play the game. sponsors chase the players, not the other way around.

so i don't think mlg really matters


yeah the fighting game community is the best community i've ever seen. you've got sites like shoryuken for all games, you've got a million different local communities and millions of videos/streams that all come together. how good a community is imo is how well they can work without outside support, since they all support each other.

melee community is amazing as well, their players are so limited/prize pools aren't good no sponsors but somehow they make it work.
cordlc
Profile Joined November 2010
United States360 Posts
August 01 2011 22:05 GMT
#4095
Noob to the scene, I've got somewhat of a random question:

I was watching Evo a few nights ago and the commentators kept throwing around the term "secret technology." I assume it's something similar to WhiteRa's "special tactics," just curious if anyone knows the origin of the term?
kakaman
Profile Blog Joined January 2010
United States1576 Posts
August 01 2011 22:25 GMT
#4096
On August 02 2011 04:00 udgnim wrote:
wonder if MLG will ever be able to pick up SF4/MvC3

I don't think the fighting game community necessarily needs it, but it would definitely help grow the community and introduce more money into the scene via prize pool and sponsors. after watching the Mike Ross documentary, this is very important to some people.

been reading about the controversy between MLG and Evo 2k5 and MLG being slow to give payouts to players. also read about 1 person basically trolling Capcom and ruining the relationship between MLG and Capcom.

guess old wounds don't heal very quickly and the general consensus seems to be that the fighting game community still has a poor impression of MLG. I'd hope with the addition of SC2 that these impressions will become more positive over time.

anyways, I think it's certain that League of Legends will eventually become a featured game at MLG. Riot will just embed the LoL MLG stream on their site and that will generate tons of views. so LoL will replace whatever is the current CoD iteration and MLG will be featuring Halo, LoL, and SC2. MLG might end up not having room for any type of fighting game unless it's off to the side and not streamed at all (MK9).


Yeah apparently Capcom doesn't want to give out the games to MLG due to the payment issue before, and Capcom believes MLG hurts the independent scene, which is more like how it's run in Japan.
O-ops
Profile Joined February 2009
United States4236 Posts
August 01 2011 22:27 GMT
#4097
On August 02 2011 07:05 cordlc wrote:
Noob to the scene, I've got somewhat of a random question:

I was watching Evo a few nights ago and the commentators kept throwing around the term "secret technology." I assume it's something similar to WhiteRa's "special tactics," just curious if anyone knows the origin of the term?


"Technology" is the slang term for good, novel tricks in fighting games.
Fan of the Jangbanger
Mitsuwa
Profile Joined July 2010
United States793 Posts
August 01 2011 22:37 GMT
#4098
For anyone interested Ov3rheadGreg has uploaded some of the recorded money matches from the redemption suite Evo after hours party at http://www.youtube.com/user/Ov3rheadGreg

I'd recommend watching the Mago vs Filipino Champ match. The match is a clinic for anyone interested in learning about zoning and spacing in high level play

[image loading]
broz0rs
Profile Joined July 2008
United States2294 Posts
August 01 2011 22:56 GMT
#4099
^ that was sick.

the runback between Fuudo and Latif was fucking epic as well.
Scribble
Profile Blog Joined March 2011
2077 Posts
August 01 2011 23:08 GMT
#4100
On August 02 2011 00:56 Gretorp wrote:
Show nested quote +
On August 01 2011 14:52 Scribble wrote:
On August 01 2011 14:25 Mitsuwa wrote:
On August 01 2011 14:24 Scribble wrote:
I don't know why I'm bothering but: honestly, why all the disrespect and petty bickering? Whether you love Starcraft or Street Fighter, or both, this weekend has been amazing. There was something for everyone and then some. It will benefit you to not sully your memories of such a good weekend with silly unnecessary arguments. Just appreciate that between MLG, GSL, and EVO, we were treated to something really special this weekend.

Enjoy it, don't ruin it for yourselves.


Couldn't of said it better myself. We are all gamers, share the hype.


<3

All weekend the scenes have been bleeding over. SC2 shoutouts at EVO, Gretorp with his NASL t-shirt at EVO, fighting game shoutouts from MLG, Artosis and Ski's exchanges on twitter, this thread right here at the heart of our Starcraft community, all the folks happily split-screening 4 streams on big screen TVs.

There's a lot of "let's grow e-sports," and "let's globalize e-sports," but this weekend we did something better. We went beyond bringing our passions to new audiences, we went beyond bringing nationalities together - though we did do all of that. This weekend, we tore barriers down and brought two very different communities together united under the banner of amazing pro gaming, and I'm damn proud to be apart of that.

Growing e-sports means more than bringing in new viewers, more than reaching a global audience, it's joining communities too. And we've done that. This weekend was not only amazing, exciting, dramatic, every positive adjective in the book, but it was a huge success.

Let's be civil and appreciate that.


lul that's my older brother... he is 3.5 years older than me. everyone says we're twins. I went to mlg for saturday and sunday so it couldn't have been me!@


Haha, my bad.
Prev 1 203 204 205 206 207 208 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 7h 47m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
RuFF_SC2 202
NeuroSwarm 146
FoxeR 20
StarCraft: Brood War
Rain 1317
Leta 716
Bale 81
League of Legends
Doublelift4156
Other Games
summit1g8289
JimRising 536
ViBE190
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick662
BasetradeTV198
[ Show 12 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Hupsaiya 97
• Light_VIP 10
• Letter146
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Other Games
• Scarra1129
Upcoming Events
Sparkling Tuna Cup
7h 47m
Patches Events
12h 47m
BSL Open Qualifier
16h 47m
BSL Open Qualifier
16h 47m
OSC
20h 47m
OSC
1d 9h
WardiTV Weekly
2 days
PiGosaur Cup
2 days
The PondCast
4 days
Online Event
5 days
[ Show More ]
Korean StarCraft League
6 days
Afreeca Starleague
6 days
Rush vs Soulkey
CranKy Ducklings
6 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
HCC Season 3
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.