• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 05:48
CEST 11:48
KST 18:48
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup3StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)64Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2314
StarCraft 2
General
How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) Awesome/Confusing SC2 BM SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup [Old] StarCraft 3 Reportedly in Development
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ]
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
BSL Season 23 Bot on ladder ASL22 General Discussion BW General Discussion JaeDong's ASL S22 Ro. 8 Review
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 11229 users

Magic: The Gathering - Page 567

Forum Index > General Games
Post a Reply
Prev 1 565 566 567 568 569 665 Next
Judicator
Profile Blog Joined August 2004
United States7270 Posts
October 08 2014 14:06 GMT
#11321
On October 08 2014 21:59 deth2munkies wrote:
Upon further reflection, Rest in Peace is probably the best hate card against them as it turns off Noxious Revival and Treasure Cruise, which heavily nerfs the consistency of the deck. If they fizzle more than once, it's likely they'll lose, and without those 2 cards it seems likely.


Slows it down barely.
Get it by your hands...
Cixah
Profile Joined July 2010
United States11285 Posts
October 08 2014 14:08 GMT
#11322
On October 08 2014 23:06 Judicator wrote:
Show nested quote +
On October 08 2014 21:59 deth2munkies wrote:
Upon further reflection, Rest in Peace is probably the best hate card against them as it turns off Noxious Revival and Treasure Cruise, which heavily nerfs the consistency of the deck. If they fizzle more than once, it's likely they'll lose, and without those 2 cards it seems likely.


Slows it down barely.


It also doesn't change the fact that if they untap with a creature they can kill you.
Hug The Goat! Hug the Goat! Hug the Goat!
Hagen0
Profile Joined June 2013
Germany765 Posts
October 08 2014 15:33 GMT
#11323
Without Treasure Cruise their combo is somewhat inconsistent. Rest in Peace is probably too slow though.
Sn0_Man
Profile Blog Joined October 2012
Tebellong44238 Posts
October 08 2014 15:38 GMT
#11324
I mean if you really want to hate them play rule of law or ethersworn canonist but you can be sure that they will have wish answers
LiquidDota StaffSCIENTISTS BAFFLED | 3275929302
MCMcEmcee
Profile Joined April 2008
United States1609 Posts
October 08 2014 15:46 GMT
#11325
There's no one card fix, you need a fast clock and enough disruption. Cruise is just the best draw spell, they can go off without it.

Ascendancy is very strong, my pseudo-free spells deck in Standard felt very close to being good enough and its best draws felt very broken. Wasn't consistent enough to recommend to our PT attendee but maybe if I had another month...
[iHs]MCMcEmcee@UFO | のヮの
deth2munkies
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
United States4051 Posts
October 08 2014 16:26 GMT
#11326
I said it's the best card, the fact it's not very good is a problem.
Sn0_Man
Profile Blog Joined October 2012
Tebellong44238 Posts
October 08 2014 16:31 GMT
#11327
On October 09 2014 01:26 deth2munkies wrote:
I said it's the best card, the fact it's not very good is a problem.

ethersworn canonist and/or rule of law are much much better though...

The fact that you can't extraction the ascendancy due to saving one as a wish target is a bit awkward, although you can't reliably get to 4 mana to cranial (or similar) safely anyway.

Regardless, thorn of amethyst or trinisphere also force them to over-commit to the board in order to go off, which you can punish with sweep.

I think there are a lot of powerful ways to interact with ascendancy, but they are narrow enough in general that making modern players pay a form of the vintage dredge tax doesn't make much sense to me.
LiquidDota StaffSCIENTISTS BAFFLED | 3275929302
Beirut
Profile Joined January 2011
United States673 Posts
Last Edited: 2014-10-08 17:18:03
October 08 2014 17:15 GMT
#11328
So you guys sound really legit, but I just got back into MTG after playing a lot in high school, which was like 8 years ago now.

I love the feeling of playing with real cards against friends and stuff, but I've moved to NYC and don't really have that base of friends who plays anymore, so I thought I might try the iPad app? How is it in terms of cost, features, etc? I just want to build cool decks and play against strangers with matchmaking maybe, is that possible?

edit: also it looks like there are multiple versions... should I get the 2015 one?
Azerbaijan
Profile Blog Joined January 2010
United States660 Posts
October 08 2014 17:28 GMT
#11329
On October 09 2014 02:15 Beirut wrote:
So you guys sound really legit, but I just got back into MTG after playing a lot in high school, which was like 8 years ago now.

I love the feeling of playing with real cards against friends and stuff, but I've moved to NYC and don't really have that base of friends who plays anymore, so I thought I might try the iPad app? How is it in terms of cost, features, etc? I just want to build cool decks and play against strangers with matchmaking maybe, is that possible?

edit: also it looks like there are multiple versions... should I get the 2015 one?


I haven't played 2015 but 2014 was extremely disappointing. You unlock premade decks of each color and get to grind AI games with each one to unlock a handful of extra cards that can only be used in the deck of that color. There is a sealed mode where there is a little bit more "deckbuilding" but the options are pretty limited. Not to mention the game is extremely buggy and the rules have been dumbed down quite a bit. I suppose its not bad for new players that don't know much about the game but I would only recommend it if its on sale.
Judicator
Profile Blog Joined August 2004
United States7270 Posts
October 08 2014 17:41 GMT
#11330
Its meant as an intro to new players not experienced ones.
Get it by your hands...
Shotcoder
Profile Blog Joined July 2009
United States2316 Posts
October 08 2014 21:02 GMT
#11331
Judicator, what blue deck are you playing in standard this time around? Like the looks of Esper? UB?
Shotcoder - C+ BW Terran, Gold LoL(ADC Main)
Thieving Magpie
Profile Blog Joined December 2012
United States6752 Posts
October 08 2014 21:11 GMT
#11332
On October 09 2014 01:31 Sn0_Man wrote:
Show nested quote +
On October 09 2014 01:26 deth2munkies wrote:
I said it's the best card, the fact it's not very good is a problem.

ethersworn canonist and/or rule of law are much much better though...

The fact that you can't extraction the ascendancy due to saving one as a wish target is a bit awkward, although you can't reliably get to 4 mana to cranial (or similar) safely anyway.

Regardless, thorn of amethyst or trinisphere also force them to over-commit to the board in order to go off, which you can punish with sweep.

I think there are a lot of powerful ways to interact with ascendancy, but they are narrow enough in general that making modern players pay a form of the vintage dredge tax doesn't make much sense to me.


Hence why I made the statements I made earlier about the meta not shifting properly yet.

Sideboard Tax versus powerful decks that never do well because everyone has to sideboard against it is simply par for the course in an eternal format. Mox Monkey didn't get his name because he was cost efficient artifact hate.
Hark, what baseball through yonder window breaks?
Sn0_Man
Profile Blog Joined October 2012
Tebellong44238 Posts
October 08 2014 21:18 GMT
#11333
On October 09 2014 06:11 Thieving Magpie wrote:
Show nested quote +
On October 09 2014 01:31 Sn0_Man wrote:
On October 09 2014 01:26 deth2munkies wrote:
I said it's the best card, the fact it's not very good is a problem.

ethersworn canonist and/or rule of law are much much better though...

The fact that you can't extraction the ascendancy due to saving one as a wish target is a bit awkward, although you can't reliably get to 4 mana to cranial (or similar) safely anyway.

Regardless, thorn of amethyst or trinisphere also force them to over-commit to the board in order to go off, which you can punish with sweep.

I think there are a lot of powerful ways to interact with ascendancy, but they are narrow enough in general that making modern players pay a form of the vintage dredge tax doesn't make much sense to me.


Hence why I made the statements I made earlier about the meta not shifting properly yet.

Sideboard Tax versus powerful decks that never do well because everyone has to sideboard against it is simply par for the course in an eternal format. Mox Monkey didn't get his name because he was cost efficient artifact hate.

I mean that doesn't change the fact that ascendancy is a de-facto turn 3 deck which wotc is on record as stating is "too fast" for modern.
LiquidDota StaffSCIENTISTS BAFFLED | 3275929302
.AK
Profile Joined September 2010
United States561 Posts
October 08 2014 21:51 GMT
#11334
Kind of a long shot but I figured I would ask here. I found out that I could play in a couple SCG opens in the up coming months so I set my hopes on a deck and now I am trying to buy it online. I bought as much as I could though MTGO Traders but there are still a couple cards I need and I am trying to get them ASAP. I should clarify that I am looking for these cards on MTGO.

Right now I am looking for,
2 x Goblin Rabblemaster
4 x Seeker of the Way
2 x Chandra, Pyromaster

I have pretty much only tickets to trade but I am totally willing to go the full equivalent of whatever MTGO traders is asking.
Failing that I was wondering if anyone could point me in the direction of another online retailer. Thanks in advance
All hail the glorious I sell T.Vs at Best Buy || #1 REQUIZEN FANBOI || IGN: .AK/BEST ANTIMAGE NA || Plat IV ADC Main
Cixah
Profile Joined July 2010
United States11285 Posts
Last Edited: 2014-10-08 22:07:51
October 08 2014 22:07 GMT
#11335
Wrong Tab.
Hug The Goat! Hug the Goat! Hug the Goat!
Thieving Magpie
Profile Blog Joined December 2012
United States6752 Posts
October 08 2014 22:17 GMT
#11336
On October 09 2014 06:18 Sn0_Man wrote:
Show nested quote +
On October 09 2014 06:11 Thieving Magpie wrote:
On October 09 2014 01:31 Sn0_Man wrote:
On October 09 2014 01:26 deth2munkies wrote:
I said it's the best card, the fact it's not very good is a problem.

ethersworn canonist and/or rule of law are much much better though...

The fact that you can't extraction the ascendancy due to saving one as a wish target is a bit awkward, although you can't reliably get to 4 mana to cranial (or similar) safely anyway.

Regardless, thorn of amethyst or trinisphere also force them to over-commit to the board in order to go off, which you can punish with sweep.

I think there are a lot of powerful ways to interact with ascendancy, but they are narrow enough in general that making modern players pay a form of the vintage dredge tax doesn't make much sense to me.


Hence why I made the statements I made earlier about the meta not shifting properly yet.

Sideboard Tax versus powerful decks that never do well because everyone has to sideboard against it is simply par for the course in an eternal format. Mox Monkey didn't get his name because he was cost efficient artifact hate.

I mean that doesn't change the fact that ascendancy is a de-facto turn 3 deck which wotc is on record as stating is "too fast" for modern.


Hmm... I guess, from that argument, I can see a case can be made.

Still, it being considered overpowered seems rushed. But if the policy is no turn 3 kills then the policy is no turn 3 kills. A shame to stifle a possibly balanced deck (once the meta adapts) just for policy reasons.
Hark, what baseball through yonder window breaks?
Judicator
Profile Blog Joined August 2004
United States7270 Posts
October 08 2014 23:18 GMT
#11337
On October 09 2014 07:17 Thieving Magpie wrote:
Show nested quote +
On October 09 2014 06:18 Sn0_Man wrote:
On October 09 2014 06:11 Thieving Magpie wrote:
On October 09 2014 01:31 Sn0_Man wrote:
On October 09 2014 01:26 deth2munkies wrote:
I said it's the best card, the fact it's not very good is a problem.

ethersworn canonist and/or rule of law are much much better though...

The fact that you can't extraction the ascendancy due to saving one as a wish target is a bit awkward, although you can't reliably get to 4 mana to cranial (or similar) safely anyway.

Regardless, thorn of amethyst or trinisphere also force them to over-commit to the board in order to go off, which you can punish with sweep.

I think there are a lot of powerful ways to interact with ascendancy, but they are narrow enough in general that making modern players pay a form of the vintage dredge tax doesn't make much sense to me.


Hence why I made the statements I made earlier about the meta not shifting properly yet.

Sideboard Tax versus powerful decks that never do well because everyone has to sideboard against it is simply par for the course in an eternal format. Mox Monkey didn't get his name because he was cost efficient artifact hate.

I mean that doesn't change the fact that ascendancy is a de-facto turn 3 deck which wotc is on record as stating is "too fast" for modern.


Hmm... I guess, from that argument, I can see a case can be made.

Still, it being considered overpowered seems rushed. But if the policy is no turn 3 kills then the policy is no turn 3 kills. A shame to stifle a possibly balanced deck (once the meta adapts) just for policy reasons.


I get what you are saying, but there a few differences. Mox Monkey was given that name because Mox isn't deck dependent. We have already said that attacking this deck from any one axis is probably a futile one since there are variations in the lists (its hard to call one optimal because nobody has seen this deck in a competitive tournament).

Take Dredge for example, your hate cards better be varied or you'll get hammered since the payoff for the Dredge player is winning the game out right since experienced Dredge players can beat a single hate card. It really isn't that much different here. More accurately take Affinity during Mirrodin T2 pre-lands banning, decks were splashing Green for Oxidize mainboard hate, now could you beat Affinity? Sure, but that doesn't make the match up any better unless you go all in on the hate.
Get it by your hands...
DEN1ED
Profile Joined December 2009
United States1087 Posts
October 08 2014 23:38 GMT
#11338
Even if power level didn't matter it would still get banned due to how long it takes to combo off.
deth2munkies
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
United States4051 Posts
October 09 2014 01:58 GMT
#11339
On October 09 2014 08:38 DEN1ED wrote:
Even if power level didn't matter it would still get banned due to how long it takes to combo off.


Tell that to high tide.

Oh wait, Wizards doesn't give a fuck about Legacy.
Judicator
Profile Blog Joined August 2004
United States7270 Posts
October 09 2014 03:52 GMT
#11340
On October 09 2014 06:02 Shotcoder wrote:
Judicator, what blue deck are you playing in standard this time around? Like the looks of Esper? UB?


No idea, tried Keranos based control but didn't like it. Need to take another look again. Was messing around in Modern with the Ascendancy deck.
Get it by your hands...
Prev 1 565 566 567 568 569 665 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 12m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
OGKoka 212
ProTech22
StarCraft: Brood War
Mind 1182
Horang2 1128
Bisu 667
Larva 533
ggaemo 517
Leta 338
Stork 287
Hyuk 144
PianO 124
Sexy 88
[ Show more ]
EffOrt 76
Soma 56
Mini 48
Killer 37
Bale 24
Hm[arnc] 20
yabsab 19
ZerO 14
sorry 14
Dota 2
XcaliburYe374
XaKoH 241
League of Legends
JimRising 330
Heroes of the Storm
Khaldor1411
Other Games
gofns30340
singsing951
crisheroes157
Mew2King121
ArmadaUGS46
ZerO(Twitch)2
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick563
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream158
[ Show 14 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• StrangeGG 33
• LUISG 18
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• C_a_k_e 7207
• lizZardDota2295
League of Legends
• Jankos1298
• Stunt1050
Upcoming Events
CranKy Ducklings
12m
Online Event
1h 12m
FEL
6h 12m
AI Arena Tournament
7h 12m
BSL: Ladder Tournament
9h 12m
Sparkling Tuna Cup
1d
INu's Battles
1d 2h
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
BSL Open Qualifier
1d 9h
BSL Open Qualifier
1d 9h
Replay Cast
1d 14h
[ Show More ]
Afreeca Starleague
2 days
Rush vs Light
WardiTV Weekly
2 days
Monday Night Weeklies
2 days
Afreeca Starleague
3 days
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
3 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
3 days
The PondCast
5 days
INu's Battles
5 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-10-02
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
Copium Cup
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.