• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 18:12
CEST 00:12
KST 07:12
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup4StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)66Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2315
StarCraft 2
General
How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? October World Ranking: herO stays #1, ByuN returns SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) Awesome/Confusing SC2 BM
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ]
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
Sagi.gg Launcher Released RepMastered™: replay sharing and analyzer site Bot on ladder BW General Discussion BSL Season 23
Tourneys
2v2v2v2 Tournament [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 8126 users

Magic: The Gathering - Page 565

Forum Index > General Games
Post a Reply
Prev 1 563 564 565 566 567 665 Next
DEN1ED
Profile Joined December 2009
United States1087 Posts
September 30 2014 18:38 GMT
#11281
-4 Defiant Strike, +4 Mardu Skullhunter, -2 Covenant, +2 Boon of Erebos

Defiant strike just doesn't do enough. Covenant is also really bad as it only goes to the dome AND is really expensive. You will often have had your board cleared and you need to topdeck something you will draw covenant with not enough mana to play it. You also don't really want to play it early when you have creatures since its better to just attack.
las91
Profile Blog Joined May 2011
United States5080 Posts
September 30 2014 19:49 GMT
#11282
Why the Skullhunter? 2 for 2-1 tapped seems really bad, the raid effect is ok but without it the card seems so bad.

Defiant Strike to me is 1 mana, help kill off something, draw a card.

I was unsure about the covenant for the reasons you stated.
In Inca we trust
Uranium
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
United States1077 Posts
Last Edited: 2014-09-30 20:11:50
September 30 2014 20:07 GMT
#11283
DEN1ED is incorrect - Covenant does not only go to the dome. I kind of like 2 of them - it's one of your only ways to clear 4-toughness blockers that can ALSO go to the face. Control is at a low right now (although we might see a resurgence soon) so you won't be facing a ton of actual board wipes.

He is correct about the Skullhunter though - it's one of your only sources of card advantage and you should be able to consistently trigger Raid on turn 2 with a 1 drop on time. It coming into play tapped is irrelevant, as you wouldn't be blocking with him anyway.

IMO if you can't afford Hero's Downfalls you should be playing a full playset of Banishing Light as your most mana-efficient answer to huge blockers like Siege Rhino/Polukranos or must-answer planeswalkers like Elspeth/Sorin.

The final piece of the puzzle that I feel is crucial to making the Bx aggro decks work is Mogis's Marauder to help you push through the final alpha strike. Drawing two can make games that would be unwinnable into easy.

If you want to make your mana better, you can swap the Seeker of the Way for a black creature, and swap Spear of Heliod for Hall of Triumph. Otherwise I could see the WW cost potentially being a problem on this card. On the flip side, Seeker of the Way is a very efficient creature if you get the right draw.
"Sentry imba! You see? YOU SEE??!!" - Sen | "Marauder die die!" - oGsMC | "Oh my god, she texted me back!" - Day[9]
DEN1ED
Profile Joined December 2009
United States1087 Posts
Last Edited: 2014-09-30 20:59:38
September 30 2014 20:58 GMT
#11284
Woops, you're right. I still think it's bad though for the other reasons I mentioned. The skullhunter is just a good way to reduce your opponents resources. Also nice with the Timely Hordemate.
MCMcEmcee
Profile Joined April 2008
United States1609 Posts
October 01 2014 05:32 GMT
#11285
I've played Covenant in a deck with Sidisi to power out guys to convoke with and it was barely playable there, can't imagine it being good in a deck where your guys come into play tapped or want to be attacking all the time.
[iHs]MCMcEmcee@UFO | のヮの
BallinWitStalin
Profile Joined July 2008
1177 Posts
October 01 2014 11:44 GMT
#11286
Hey guys, I have a "what's the correct play" legacy question for you:

I am playing burn, while my opponent is playing BUG delver. I'm on the play. I land a turn one goblin guide, he opens with a deathrite shaman. On my turn, I have in hand two mountains, a fireblast, a PoP, a bolt, and a chain lightning.

Now, I have searing blazes (and soon some searing bloods) in my deck to deal with annoying creatures like that, but I didn't draw into them.

I hate deathrite shaman, that dude is annoying as hell. My question, however, is whether I should waste a chain lightning to deal with him or just send it to the dome of my opponent. Is it worth it to waste a burn spell to kill the shaman in this situation? The fact that he tapped out to put the shaman on board means he likely has some manaless countermagic around to protect it. Would it be worth it to try to draw that out, to make way for my PoP (which on turn four is probably going to smoke him for 8 damage) and fireblast? Or should I just go for the race?
I await the reminiscent nerd chills I will get when I hear a Korean broadcaster yell "WEEAAAAVVVVVUUUHHH" while watching Dota
annedeman
Profile Joined March 2011
Netherlands350 Posts
Last Edited: 2014-10-01 12:00:51
October 01 2014 11:54 GMT
#11287
On October 01 2014 20:44 BallinWitStalin wrote:
Hey guys, I have a "what's the correct play" legacy question for you:

I am playing burn, while my opponent is playing BUG delver. I'm on the play. I land a turn one goblin guide, he opens with a deathrite shaman. On my turn, I have in hand two mountains, a fireblast, a PoP, a bolt, and a chain lightning.

Now, I have searing blazes (and soon some searing bloods) in my deck to deal with annoying creatures like that, but I didn't draw into them.

I hate deathrite shaman, that dude is annoying as hell. My question, however, is whether I should waste a chain lightning to deal with him or just send it to the dome of my opponent. Is it worth it to waste a burn spell to kill the shaman in this situation? The fact that he tapped out to put the shaman on board means he likely has some manaless countermagic around to protect it. Would it be worth it to try to draw that out, to make way for my PoP (which on turn four is probably going to smoke him for 8 damage) and fireblast? Or should I just go for the race?

i would definatly kill the deathrite shaman, not only is it almost assured to gain atleast 2 live(else your goblin guide will just win the game on its own, which is fine also), it gives him more mana to develop his board early and presents a clock all on the same time, he can't daze you and if he wants to force your chain lightning thats freaking awesome, as hes not using that to hit your big burn spells, its not like you can play it in a way they get even less millage out of their force of will.
if you would not have had the goblin guide this would be much closer as they would not be gaining life with the deathrite necessarily, but seeing its extremely likely they will gain life with it, it very much seems like the play to just kill the deathrite.
RAIN!!!, MMA!!,Innovation!!,Parting!!
DEN1ED
Profile Joined December 2009
United States1087 Posts
Last Edited: 2014-10-01 14:44:55
October 01 2014 14:42 GMT
#11288
Yup, if you don't kill it you risk him playing a T2 liliana which kills your goblin guide and will start to eat away at your hand which seems very bad for you. Also potentially keeps him off hymn mana, although you didn't say what land he played but that is something to think about as well.
BallinWitStalin
Profile Joined July 2008
1177 Posts
October 01 2014 21:07 GMT
#11289
Yeah I ended up using chain lightning on the shaman. It worked out well, without the deathrite I was able to keep the pressure up and I won the game. He didn't play around PoP well, and I blew him out at the end of his fourth turn with it and fireblast. Can't remember what happened exactly, I think I cast an eidolon I drew and he force of willed it or something like that, but I ended up winning the game.

For the record, he played an underground sea to cast the deathrite.

I want to get back into the game and it had just been awhile since I've played (pre-deathrite), so I was wondering what I should have done there. Deathrite shaman just seems so powerful/versatile that I felt like he needed to be answered, but I wanted to get some other folks to analyze the situation since I'm so new to the "modern" (herp) legacy meta.

Goblin guide on the play gets there though. I love that little dude......

On another burn topic, what do folks think of Monastery swiftspear? A recent UR legacy list used it, delver, and goblin guide to achieve a 1st place finish. Do you think it has a place in monored burn?

My feeling is that it's not going to cut it in legacy. I typically like to be casting my spells on the opponents turns, I feel like you kind of have to reveal your strategy too much right off the bat to really make effective use of the swiftspear, and it allows opponents a better chance to disrupt your strategy by interacting with the creature (basically the problem with kiln fiend decks, although I really do have a certain fondness for that card). Plus, I really like me some lavamancer against these delver decks, although to be fair he can be really slow.

Modern might be a different case, though. I haven't played it yet as a format, although I am close to having my burn deck built for it. What are your guys' thoughts?


Also, I got fucked by an artifact deck pretty bad. Chalice of the voids, metalworkers, blightsteels/lightning greaves, etc. What are good strategies against that deck? I sideboarded ensnaring bridges and smash to smithereens, but I still lost pretty badly to it (and in repeated fun games, afterwards, too).
I await the reminiscent nerd chills I will get when I hear a Korean broadcaster yell "WEEAAAAVVVVVUUUHHH" while watching Dota
Sn0_Man
Profile Blog Joined October 2012
Tebellong44238 Posts
October 01 2014 21:14 GMT
#11290
Null rod is always an option to hose MUD decks
LiquidDota StaffSCIENTISTS BAFFLED | 3275929302
DEN1ED
Profile Joined December 2009
United States1087 Posts
October 01 2014 21:43 GMT
#11291
Ya I think the swiftspear is best when played with the blue cantrips(brainstorm, ponder, gitaxian probe). Seems a little too weak in just mono red.
Thieving Magpie
Profile Blog Joined December 2012
United States6752 Posts
October 01 2014 22:59 GMT
#11292
On October 02 2014 06:14 Sn0_Man wrote:
Null rod is always an option to hose MUD decks


Smash to Smithereens if you're a burn deck.
Hark, what baseball through yonder window breaks?
Hagen0
Profile Joined June 2013
Germany765 Posts
Last Edited: 2014-10-02 00:20:45
October 02 2014 00:20 GMT
#11293
On October 02 2014 06:43 DEN1ED wrote:
Ya I think the swiftspear is best when played with the blue cantrips(brainstorm, ponder, gitaxian probe). Seems a little too weak in just mono red.

This. Ponder and Probe are Sorceries anyway so the UR delver deck doesn't lose much flexibility when playing Swiftspear. Moreover, the delver list plays Daze and Spellpierce which are at odds with Goblin guide. Burn doesn't care too much about additional cards drawn off the Goblin guide trigger.
MCMcEmcee
Profile Joined April 2008
United States1609 Posts
October 02 2014 01:32 GMT
#11294
Smash to Smithereens is the most flexible sideboard card against MUD since it's also solid against Stoneforge Mystic and such. If you want to get really hateful towards MUD specifically, Shattering Spree is probably your best bet (copies ignore Chalice on 1).

Swiftspear replaced Goblin Guide in the UR Delver deck, finally a card that isn't at odds with everything else the deck is doing. I think it's pretty good in the UR Delver deck and maybe only the UR Delver deck. Lots of 0-1 mana cantrips and Treasure Cruise to fuel the Swiftspear.

Sure hope I get to play an event with Treasure Cruise before it gets banned dohoho
[iHs]MCMcEmcee@UFO | のヮの
Thieving Magpie
Profile Blog Joined December 2012
United States6752 Posts
October 02 2014 03:20 GMT
#11295
On October 02 2014 09:20 Hagen0 wrote:
Show nested quote +
On October 02 2014 06:43 DEN1ED wrote:
Ya I think the swiftspear is best when played with the blue cantrips(brainstorm, ponder, gitaxian probe). Seems a little too weak in just mono red.

This. Ponder and Probe are Sorceries anyway so the UR delver deck doesn't lose much flexibility when playing Swiftspear. Moreover, the delver list plays Daze and Spellpierce which are at odds with Goblin guide. Burn doesn't care too much about additional cards drawn off the Goblin guide trigger.


The burn player in my local shop tried the swiftspear in monored burn. Said its great for the first 1-2 attacks, then you have no more cards in hand. Cantrips are needed to keep the hand full of spells to cast while also activating the swiftspear.
Hark, what baseball through yonder window breaks?
BallinWitStalin
Profile Joined July 2008
1177 Posts
October 02 2014 12:17 GMT
#11296
On October 02 2014 10:32 MCMcEmcee wrote:
Smash to Smithereens is the most flexible sideboard card against MUD since it's also solid against Stoneforge Mystic and such. If you want to get really hateful towards MUD specifically, Shattering Spree is probably your best bet (copies ignore Chalice on 1).

Swiftspear replaced Goblin Guide in the UR Delver deck, finally a card that isn't at odds with everything else the deck is doing. I think it's pretty good in the UR Delver deck and maybe only the UR Delver deck. Lots of 0-1 mana cantrips and Treasure Cruise to fuel the Swiftspear.

Sure hope I get to play an event with Treasure Cruise before it gets banned dohoho



Thanks for the advice, I'll try out a few copies of shattering spree in my sideboard to test it out as well! Ensnaring bridge wasn't super useful in that match, I found, as it would basically buy me a single turn. He would usually just tutor up something to blow it up pretty quick, and then kill me the next turn or so.


What about swiftspear in modern-format burn decks? Do you think the same issues apply? I feel like it's a slower format, but I'm not sure how that would translate into making swiftspear more viable in burn.
I await the reminiscent nerd chills I will get when I hear a Korean broadcaster yell "WEEAAAAVVVVVUUUHHH" while watching Dota
Sn0_Man
Profile Blog Joined October 2012
Tebellong44238 Posts
October 02 2014 14:34 GMT
#11297
He already sided in smash lol. Since a few copies didn't seem to do much for him, he clearly needed a more comprehensive hoser. Presumably before 4 mana for shatterstorm.

Yes shattering spree is another great option.
LiquidDota StaffSCIENTISTS BAFFLED | 3275929302
deth2munkies
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
United States4051 Posts
October 04 2014 04:16 GMT
#11298
Turns out maindeck Drown in Sorrow is a pretty good thing in this format...
Shotcoder
Profile Blog Joined July 2009
United States2316 Posts
October 04 2014 08:13 GMT
#11299
On October 02 2014 21:17 BallinWitStalin wrote:
Show nested quote +
On October 02 2014 10:32 MCMcEmcee wrote:
Smash to Smithereens is the most flexible sideboard card against MUD since it's also solid against Stoneforge Mystic and such. If you want to get really hateful towards MUD specifically, Shattering Spree is probably your best bet (copies ignore Chalice on 1).

Swiftspear replaced Goblin Guide in the UR Delver deck, finally a card that isn't at odds with everything else the deck is doing. I think it's pretty good in the UR Delver deck and maybe only the UR Delver deck. Lots of 0-1 mana cantrips and Treasure Cruise to fuel the Swiftspear.

Sure hope I get to play an event with Treasure Cruise before it gets banned dohoho



Thanks for the advice, I'll try out a few copies of shattering spree in my sideboard to test it out as well! Ensnaring bridge wasn't super useful in that match, I found, as it would basically buy me a single turn. He would usually just tutor up something to blow it up pretty quick, and then kill me the next turn or so.


What about swiftspear in modern-format burn decks? Do you think the same issues apply? I feel like it's a slower format, but I'm not sure how that would translate into making swiftspear more viable in burn.


I 100% believe swiftspear with pyromancer, Delver and snapcaster is going to find it's way into modern somehow.
Shotcoder - C+ BW Terran, Gold LoL(ADC Main)
DEN1ED
Profile Joined December 2009
United States1087 Posts
Last Edited: 2014-10-04 13:57:28
October 04 2014 13:55 GMT
#11300
On October 04 2014 17:13 Shotcoder wrote:
Show nested quote +
On October 02 2014 21:17 BallinWitStalin wrote:
On October 02 2014 10:32 MCMcEmcee wrote:
Smash to Smithereens is the most flexible sideboard card against MUD since it's also solid against Stoneforge Mystic and such. If you want to get really hateful towards MUD specifically, Shattering Spree is probably your best bet (copies ignore Chalice on 1).

Swiftspear replaced Goblin Guide in the UR Delver deck, finally a card that isn't at odds with everything else the deck is doing. I think it's pretty good in the UR Delver deck and maybe only the UR Delver deck. Lots of 0-1 mana cantrips and Treasure Cruise to fuel the Swiftspear.

Sure hope I get to play an event with Treasure Cruise before it gets banned dohoho



Thanks for the advice, I'll try out a few copies of shattering spree in my sideboard to test it out as well! Ensnaring bridge wasn't super useful in that match, I found, as it would basically buy me a single turn. He would usually just tutor up something to blow it up pretty quick, and then kill me the next turn or so.


What about swiftspear in modern-format burn decks? Do you think the same issues apply? I feel like it's a slower format, but I'm not sure how that would translate into making swiftspear more viable in burn.


I 100% believe swiftspear with pyromancer, Delver and snapcaster is going to find it's way into modern somehow.


Well that's not much of a stretch since UR delver with delver pyromancer and snapcaster is arleady a very good deck in modern. The problem is that then you start running too many creatures. Every creature you add means 1 less spell and makes all your current creatures worse. 12 is kinda the magic number for these kinds of decks.
Prev 1 563 564 565 566 567 665 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
BSL: Ladder Tournament
04:00
#2 - $100
ZZZero.O159
LiquipediaDiscussion
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
PiGStarcraft177
Nina 66
ViBE56
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 14177
ZZZero.O 159
Dewaltoss 127
firebathero 92
Hyuk 74
Terrorterran 23
Dota 2
NeuroSwarm117
febbydoto44
League of Legends
Doublelift3174
Counter-Strike
Fnx 817
Heroes of the Storm
Grubby5900
Other Games
summit1g5946
FrodaN2407
fl0m737
mouzStarbuck367
JimRising 273
KnowMe268
ToD207
ArmadaUGS138
Mew2King36
Railgan29
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick1184
BasetradeTV174
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream92
[ Show 15 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Hupsaiya 61
• musti20045 35
• Letter146
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
League of Legends
• Noizen106
Other Games
• imaqtpie806
• Shiphtur219
• tFFMrPink 16
Upcoming Events
Sparkling Tuna Cup
11h 48m
INu's Battles
13h 48m
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
Shopify Rebellion Sundays
16h 48m
MilkiCow vs TBD
Clem vs TBD
BSL Open Qualifier
20h 48m
BSL Open Qualifier
20h 48m
Replay Cast
1d
Afreeca Starleague
1d 11h
Rush vs Light
WardiTV Weekly
1d 12h
Monday Night Weeklies
1d 17h
Replay Cast
2 days
[ Show More ]
Afreeca Starleague
2 days
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
2 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
3 days
The PondCast
4 days
INu's Battles
4 days
Replay Cast
6 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-10-02
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
Copium Cup
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.