• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 07:18
CEST 13:18
KST 20:18
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup5StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)67Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2316
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup Back to SC2 after 14 years - Protoss CTRL groups? How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? October World Ranking: herO stays #1, ByuN returns
Tourneys
Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ]
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
Fantasy returning? Sagi.gg Launcher Released Bot on ladder BSL Season 23 BW General Discussion
Tourneys
[Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 2v2v2v2 Tournament [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 10120 users

Diablo III General Discussion - Page 250

Forum Index > General Games
Post a Reply
Prev 1 248 249 250 251 252 1109 Next
RevRich
Profile Joined February 2011
United States218 Posts
August 20 2011 14:42 GMT
#4981
Blizzard does have a nasty little habit of announcing games years upon years in advance. I think I remember them officially stating they would try to curb this behavior after sc2 took a decade after its announcement to actually come out.

I find it pretty annoying myself, but I'm glad they aren't letting the Diablo series die. Just announce it a year before you think it'll be released, announce beta when its released not 2 months beforehand. Blizzard products sell themselves, no need for massive over hyping.
novabossa
Profile Blog Joined August 2010
United States350 Posts
August 20 2011 14:52 GMT
#4982
That's Blizzard time for you.

As for competition, Blizzard doesn't really have any in the dungeon crawler area. Every dungeon crawler RPG that has seen success was just a Diablo 2 clone, and that includes Torchlight. It's pretty indisputable that other companies look to Blizzard to lead the way in this particular genre.
Rachel: First game. oGsMC: Yea. Rachel: Dark Templar. oGsMC: Yea. Rachel: Countered. oGsMC: Yea. Rachel: Were you worried? oGsMC: What?
absalom86
Profile Joined April 2010
Iceland1770 Posts
August 20 2011 15:00 GMT
#4983
On August 20 2011 13:41 Rybka wrote:
Show nested quote +
On August 20 2011 13:39 jimmyjingle wrote:
On August 20 2011 13:35 Rybka wrote:
On August 20 2011 12:05 jimmyjingle wrote:
On August 20 2011 10:04 Rybka wrote:
On August 20 2011 07:50 FacelessVoid wrote:
As much as I love D3, I voted Dota 2.


I also feel the same way. I voted for Battlefield 3.

When I saw the Caspian Boarder trailer I got goosebumps. It's chaotic, intense... hits HARD.
When I saw the latest round of the DotA International comp, I was on the edge of my seat.

D3... I mean, TBH, I was insanely pumped ~ 6 weeks ago when they first announced the beta was "soon." Everything I've seen since then has been overshadowed by other games.

SC2 is amazing, but Blizz has serious comp in every genre but RTS now. They can't do "lol coming soon" and then wait 5-12 months like they used to.

by that logic, what PC action/rpg is blizzard competing with?... besides, blizzard is even looser with their marketing than apple.


http://pc.ign.com/articles/118/1188860p1.html
and to a lesser extent
http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=25078


diablo 3 will be competing with an ancient gaming mouse?


fixed >_<

Look I'm not saying D3 doesn't look awesome, but weeks upon weeks of radio silence coupled with hundreds of pages of threads about RMAH/color scheme bitching has really taken things back a notch imho. I think Blizz announced that the beta was coming "soon" way too early.

Meanwhile, games like BF3, DotA2, Rage, and Dead Island are coming out. People are pumped and the games look great.


Come on now... do you know what company this is ? Blizz takes longer to release their stuff, but once it's out it is always flawless... You can go play your second rate, rushed games all you want but I'll stick with quality instead of rate of release.
Thief @ #teamliquid @ Quakenet
Rybka
Profile Joined March 2010
United States836 Posts
August 20 2011 16:07 GMT
#4984
On August 21 2011 00:00 absalom86 wrote:
Show nested quote +
On August 20 2011 13:41 Rybka wrote:
On August 20 2011 13:39 jimmyjingle wrote:
On August 20 2011 13:35 Rybka wrote:
On August 20 2011 12:05 jimmyjingle wrote:
On August 20 2011 10:04 Rybka wrote:
On August 20 2011 07:50 FacelessVoid wrote:
As much as I love D3, I voted Dota 2.


I also feel the same way. I voted for Battlefield 3.

When I saw the Caspian Boarder trailer I got goosebumps. It's chaotic, intense... hits HARD.
When I saw the latest round of the DotA International comp, I was on the edge of my seat.

D3... I mean, TBH, I was insanely pumped ~ 6 weeks ago when they first announced the beta was "soon." Everything I've seen since then has been overshadowed by other games.

SC2 is amazing, but Blizz has serious comp in every genre but RTS now. They can't do "lol coming soon" and then wait 5-12 months like they used to.

by that logic, what PC action/rpg is blizzard competing with?... besides, blizzard is even looser with their marketing than apple.


http://pc.ign.com/articles/118/1188860p1.html
and to a lesser extent
http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=25078


diablo 3 will be competing with an ancient gaming mouse?


fixed >_<

Look I'm not saying D3 doesn't look awesome, but weeks upon weeks of radio silence coupled with hundreds of pages of threads about RMAH/color scheme bitching has really taken things back a notch imho. I think Blizz announced that the beta was coming "soon" way too early.

Meanwhile, games like BF3, DotA2, Rage, and Dead Island are coming out. People are pumped and the games look great.


Come on now... do you know what company this is ? Blizz takes longer to release their stuff, but once it's out it is always flawless... You can go play your second rate, rushed games all you want but I'll stick with quality instead of rate of release.


Who said that Diablo 3 wouldn't be great? Nobody is disputing that Blizzard puts together great games or that Diablo 3 will be an excellent title, just that in the past they've relied on their star power to introduce things waaaaaay before they are ready. They would almost always deliver (I would argue that WotLK and Cata were a departure from their standards, but that's another thread), but the waits were brutal. However, if the game you're going to release is clearly better than competing titles, who cares right?

The thing is, you have to respect that BF3 won best of show at Gamescom, and that the lines to play that game were 9 hours long. You also have Valve coming out with DotA 2, which has a serious shot at winning the IGN people's choice award. Just like Blizzard, when Valve puts their name behind a title you know it will be epic, and the playerbase for DotA is HUGE.

There are many great titles coming out now, and imho D3 doesn't stand out against these titles as an obvious "faceroll" win. Is D3 awesome? Yes. Is it clearly best at Gamescom? Not by a long-shot. Just my opinion.

What's news to me is that Battlefield 3, DotA 2, Rage, Torchlight 2 (made by some of the original team that made Diablo 2 BTW), and Dead Island are "second rate rushed games." I've never heard that before.
"I like winter, you can put a beer outside of the window and come back later to have it nice and cold. But in Belgium, it'd better be the 3rd floor window." -Rowa
Simberto
Profile Blog Joined July 2010
Germany12015 Posts
August 20 2011 16:14 GMT
#4985
On August 21 2011 01:07 Rybka wrote:
Show nested quote +
On August 21 2011 00:00 absalom86 wrote:
On August 20 2011 13:41 Rybka wrote:
On August 20 2011 13:39 jimmyjingle wrote:
On August 20 2011 13:35 Rybka wrote:
On August 20 2011 12:05 jimmyjingle wrote:
On August 20 2011 10:04 Rybka wrote:
On August 20 2011 07:50 FacelessVoid wrote:
As much as I love D3, I voted Dota 2.


I also feel the same way. I voted for Battlefield 3.

When I saw the Caspian Boarder trailer I got goosebumps. It's chaotic, intense... hits HARD.
When I saw the latest round of the DotA International comp, I was on the edge of my seat.

D3... I mean, TBH, I was insanely pumped ~ 6 weeks ago when they first announced the beta was "soon." Everything I've seen since then has been overshadowed by other games.

SC2 is amazing, but Blizz has serious comp in every genre but RTS now. They can't do "lol coming soon" and then wait 5-12 months like they used to.

by that logic, what PC action/rpg is blizzard competing with?... besides, blizzard is even looser with their marketing than apple.


http://pc.ign.com/articles/118/1188860p1.html
and to a lesser extent
http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=25078


diablo 3 will be competing with an ancient gaming mouse?


fixed >_<

Look I'm not saying D3 doesn't look awesome, but weeks upon weeks of radio silence coupled with hundreds of pages of threads about RMAH/color scheme bitching has really taken things back a notch imho. I think Blizz announced that the beta was coming "soon" way too early.

Meanwhile, games like BF3, DotA2, Rage, and Dead Island are coming out. People are pumped and the games look great.


Come on now... do you know what company this is ? Blizz takes longer to release their stuff, but once it's out it is always flawless... You can go play your second rate, rushed games all you want but I'll stick with quality instead of rate of release.


Who said that Diablo 3 wouldn't be great? Nobody is disputing that Blizzard puts together great games or that Diablo 3 will be an excellent title, just that in the past they've relied on their star power to introduce things waaaaaay before they are ready. They would almost always deliver (I would argue that WotLK and Cata were a departure from their standards, but that's another thread), but the waits were brutal. However, if the game you're going to release is clearly better than competing titles, who cares right?

The thing is, you have to respect that BF3 won best of show at Gamescom, and that the lines to play that game were 9 hours long. You also have Valve coming out with DotA 2, which has a serious shot at winning the IGN people's choice award. Just like Blizzard, when Valve puts their name behind a title you know it will be epic, and the playerbase for DotA is HUGE.

There are many great titles coming out now, and imho D3 doesn't stand out against these titles as an obvious "faceroll" win. Is D3 awesome? Yes. Is it clearly best at Gamescom? Not by a long-shot. Just my opinion.

What's news to me is that Battlefield 3, DotA 2, Rage, Torchlight 2 (made by some of the original team that made Diablo 2 BTW), and Dead Island are "second rate rushed games." I've never heard that before.


So, your argument is that one should only announce stuff shortly before it is ready, and that that would be a good thing? I simply don't see the reason for that. As a player, i find earlier announcements and information better than later, but other people should view that differently. The time of announcement should not influence the time of release in any way, so if you announce closer to launch you don't get games that launch earlier, just announcements that are later. No advantage in that in my opinion.
SnetteL
Profile Blog Joined February 2011
Belgium473 Posts
August 20 2011 16:30 GMT
#4986
I think some of you misunderstand the idea of "rushed" games.

Blizzard showed us some gameplay footage of D3 a really long time ago, the way they programmed that is now outdated and my friend who is a game designer thinks it's a real mess they are taking so long.

If you want to keep up in graphics and engines and all that other stuff i don't know anything about you just can't take so long if you don't want to do everything over and over again.
Caps lock is cruise control for cool.
Rybka
Profile Joined March 2010
United States836 Posts
August 20 2011 16:33 GMT
#4987
On August 21 2011 01:14 Simberto wrote:

So, your argument is that one should only announce stuff shortly before it is ready, and that that would be a good thing? I simply don't see the reason for that. As a player, i find earlier announcements and information better than later, but other people should view that differently. The time of announcement should not influence the time of release in any way, so if you announce closer to launch you don't get games that launch earlier, just announcements that are later. No advantage in that in my opinion.


Exactly!

The reason for doing it is that you avoid all of the negative press that Diablo's own fans are pushing. Consider the timeline...

-Blizzard announces Diablo 3 beta coming "soon."
-Fans freak out with excitement. They track every word the Blues post. They follow twitter feeds and leaked screenshots.
-However, Diablo 3 isn't ready. They are at least 2-3 months out from having a product ready to present to the public.
-The community demands info, but semi-complete armor concepts and cryptic tweets are the only things they have to latch onto.
-The fanbase begins to make sketchy assumptions about basic game concepts (ex: RMAH) without any context. They begin to draw negative inferences without complete information.
-Most of the conversation in the community turns negative.

Given what we've all seen, not the least of which can be found in the last 200+ pages of this thread, tell me how announcing things early is good thing? Even though it will surely be amazing and a worthy successor to the franchise, I don't think Blizzard has done itself any favors with the way it's marketed this game.

"I like winter, you can put a beer outside of the window and come back later to have it nice and cold. But in Belgium, it'd better be the 3rd floor window." -Rowa
vaporizor
Profile Joined March 2011
United States53 Posts
August 20 2011 16:38 GMT
#4988
was this this much bitching pre d2????? like people really mad they were gonna screw it up? this thread a flame war
Rybka
Profile Joined March 2010
United States836 Posts
August 20 2011 16:44 GMT
#4989
Also, not to spam this thread with posts, but I would ask anyone who disagrees with me to read the following article. It's from 1984, and it's just as true now as it was back then, particularly the "Vaporware Begets Vaportalk" excerpt:

Developers Unveil "Vaporware"

This a core concept in marketing with documented negative consequences and is a particularly prominent issue in the software industry. I will buy Diablo 3 and I will play the hell out of it for months, or probably years. That being said, this release sucks.

I've said my piece, thanks for listening.
"I like winter, you can put a beer outside of the window and come back later to have it nice and cold. But in Belgium, it'd better be the 3rd floor window." -Rowa
SKC
Profile Joined October 2010
Brazil18828 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-08-20 17:03:05
August 20 2011 16:55 GMT
#4990
On August 21 2011 01:33 Rybka wrote:
Show nested quote +
On August 21 2011 01:14 Simberto wrote:

So, your argument is that one should only announce stuff shortly before it is ready, and that that would be a good thing? I simply don't see the reason for that. As a player, i find earlier announcements and information better than later, but other people should view that differently. The time of announcement should not influence the time of release in any way, so if you announce closer to launch you don't get games that launch earlier, just announcements that are later. No advantage in that in my opinion.


Exactly!

The reason for doing it is that you avoid all of the negative press that Diablo's own fans are pushing. Consider the timeline...

-Blizzard announces Diablo 3 beta coming "soon."
-Fans freak out with excitement. They track every word the Blues post. They follow twitter feeds and leaked screenshots.
-However, Diablo 3 isn't ready. They are at least 2-3 months out from having a product ready to present to the public.
-The community demands info, but semi-complete armor concepts and cryptic tweets are the only things they have to latch onto.
-The fanbase begins to make sketchy assumptions about basic game concepts (ex: RMAH) without any context. They begin to draw negative inferences without complete information.
-Most of the conversation in the community turns negative.

Given what we've all seen, not the least of which can be found in the last 200+ pages of this thread, tell me how announcing things early is good thing? Even though it will surely be amazing and a worthy successor to the franchise, I don't think Blizzard has done itself any favors with the way it's marketed this game.



You also get a lot of feedback during your whole development cycle. As long as you manage to focus or what's helpful and ignore what is not, this can only be a good thing. It's always hard to say what changes Blizzard does that are actually influenced by the feedback, but I doubt there are none. They also seem very good about stickying to their original design intentions if they believe they are superior, sometimes maybe too good.

As long as you don't mind the bad talk and immediate backlash of some annoucements, I can only see it as a good thing for the developtment of the game. It's not like people will not buy the game in the end because the information came sooner. If they released all the controversial stuff they have done sooner to the release, I think more people would actually not buy it since the information is fresh in their memory. Those boycott some people claim really fade away with time.

Edit:I skimmed through the article and I honestly don't believe it applies to Blizzard. There are no delays if there are no annoucement dates. There is no rush to complete it on time if there is not time to complete it in. That's basically what Blizzard always said when they claim their "When it's done" policy. The whole point of that article seems to be about the negative sides of companies rushing their products when close to the deadline, having to add new progammers or maybe annoucing their games even they know it will be complete. Do you believe the game would be better and would release sooner if Blizzard didn't announce it when they did? I honestly don't, I just think the announcement would be later but we would still not have the game, which is not what the article says.
crms
Profile Joined February 2010
United States11933 Posts
August 20 2011 17:01 GMT
#4991
voted for d3 on my comp, gf's comp, my laptop, my cellphone and my gfs cellphone. plz win d3!
http://i.imgur.com/fAUOr2c.png | Fighting games are great
Weasel-
Profile Joined June 2009
Canada1556 Posts
August 20 2011 17:02 GMT
#4992
The idea that people who were interested in Diablo in general are now suddenly not going to buy Diablo 3 after some of the announcements is ridiculous. It's like people claiming they weren't going to buy SC2 after they heard it didn't have LAN, and we know how that turned out.
SoleSteeler
Profile Joined April 2003
Canada5472 Posts
August 20 2011 17:12 GMT
#4993
On August 21 2011 01:38 vaporizor wrote:
was this this much bitching pre d2????? like people really mad they were gonna screw it up? this thread a flame war


I think the hype for D2 was even bigger. It was such a highly anticipated game. It was also, I guess, the first Blizzard game that got delayed again and again, adding to the hype. When it was released, battle net was basically unplayable for the first few weeks due to so many people playing. (Kind of like WoW's release, now that I think of it!)
jimmyjingle
Profile Blog Joined November 2010
United States472 Posts
August 20 2011 17:26 GMT
#4994
the assertion that d3 is "competing" with battlefield 3 and, even funnier, torchlight, is pretty nonsensical. try this:

it is 2000. what game releases overshadow diablo 2?
I get brain like a skull
Dreamscythe
Profile Joined August 2010
Finland273 Posts
August 20 2011 17:37 GMT
#4995
http://eu.blizzard.com/en-gb/company/events/diablo3-announcement/index.html#beta:d3-interview

I bet that most of you guys have read it already,but there is a link anyways.

This may be noobish question but here it goes anyways. I load system check for exe and send my computer info for blizzard. Will they randomly pick people for beta or do we need to apply for it?
Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.Oscar Wilde
ZeraToss
Profile Joined January 2011
Germany1094 Posts
August 20 2011 17:39 GMT
#4996
On August 21 2011 02:37 Dreamscythe wrote:
http://eu.blizzard.com/en-gb/company/events/diablo3-announcement/index.html#beta:d3-interview

I bet that most of you guys have read it already,but there is a link anyways.

This may be noobish question but here it goes anyways. I load system check for exe and send my computer info for blizzard. Will they randomly pick people for beta or do we need to apply for it?


i guess random, but with huge variety of comp specs because, they want to test it on high end and low comps
"Personality should be irrelevant. This is a computer game tournament, not a dating show." EGIdrA on "introduce yourself and say something about your personality" Idra <3
Dreamscythe
Profile Joined August 2010
Finland273 Posts
August 20 2011 17:49 GMT
#4997
On August 21 2011 02:39 ZeraToss wrote:
Show nested quote +
On August 21 2011 02:37 Dreamscythe wrote:
http://eu.blizzard.com/en-gb/company/events/diablo3-announcement/index.html#beta:d3-interview

I bet that most of you guys have read it already,but there is a link anyways.

This may be noobish question but here it goes anyways. I load system check for exe and send my computer info for blizzard. Will they randomly pick people for beta or do we need to apply for it?


i guess random, but with huge variety of comp specs because, they want to test it on high end and low comps



Danke. That seems actually quite logical. Hoping that i get into beta because i am playing with bit older computer
Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.Oscar Wilde
ZeraToss
Profile Joined January 2011
Germany1094 Posts
August 20 2011 18:04 GMT
#4998
On August 21 2011 02:49 Dreamscythe wrote:
Show nested quote +
On August 21 2011 02:39 ZeraToss wrote:
On August 21 2011 02:37 Dreamscythe wrote:
http://eu.blizzard.com/en-gb/company/events/diablo3-announcement/index.html#beta:d3-interview

I bet that most of you guys have read it already,but there is a link anyways.

This may be noobish question but here it goes anyways. I load system check for exe and send my computer info for blizzard. Will they randomly pick people for beta or do we need to apply for it?


i guess random, but with huge variety of comp specs because, they want to test it on high end and low comps



Danke. That seems actually quite logical. Hoping that i get into beta because i am playing with bit older computer


gerne. i hoped that too for sc2 beta^^
"Personality should be irrelevant. This is a computer game tournament, not a dating show." EGIdrA on "introduce yourself and say something about your personality" Idra <3
Manit0u
Profile Blog Joined August 2004
Poland17845 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-08-20 18:52:42
August 20 2011 18:48 GMT
#4999
On August 21 2011 01:55 SKC wrote:
Show nested quote +
On August 21 2011 01:33 Rybka wrote:
On August 21 2011 01:14 Simberto wrote:

So, your argument is that one should only announce stuff shortly before it is ready, and that that would be a good thing? I simply don't see the reason for that. As a player, i find earlier announcements and information better than later, but other people should view that differently. The time of announcement should not influence the time of release in any way, so if you announce closer to launch you don't get games that launch earlier, just announcements that are later. No advantage in that in my opinion.


Exactly!

The reason for doing it is that you avoid all of the negative press that Diablo's own fans are pushing. Consider the timeline...

-Blizzard announces Diablo 3 beta coming "soon."
-Fans freak out with excitement. They track every word the Blues post. They follow twitter feeds and leaked screenshots.
-However, Diablo 3 isn't ready. They are at least 2-3 months out from having a product ready to present to the public.
-The community demands info, but semi-complete armor concepts and cryptic tweets are the only things they have to latch onto.
-The fanbase begins to make sketchy assumptions about basic game concepts (ex: RMAH) without any context. They begin to draw negative inferences without complete information.
-Most of the conversation in the community turns negative.

Given what we've all seen, not the least of which can be found in the last 200+ pages of this thread, tell me how announcing things early is good thing? Even though it will surely be amazing and a worthy successor to the franchise, I don't think Blizzard has done itself any favors with the way it's marketed this game.



You also get a lot of feedback during your whole development cycle. As long as you manage to focus or what's helpful and ignore what is not, this can only be a good thing. It's always hard to say what changes Blizzard does that are actually influenced by the feedback, but I doubt there are none. They also seem very good about stickying to their original design intentions if they believe they are superior, sometimes maybe too good.

As long as you don't mind the bad talk and immediate backlash of some annoucements, I can only see it as a good thing for the developtment of the game. It's not like people will not buy the game in the end because the information came sooner. If they released all the controversial stuff they have done sooner to the release, I think more people would actually not buy it since the information is fresh in their memory. Those boycott some people claim really fade away with time.

Edit:I skimmed through the article and I honestly don't believe it applies to Blizzard. There are no delays if there are no annoucement dates. There is no rush to complete it on time if there is not time to complete it in. That's basically what Blizzard always said when they claim their "When it's done" policy. The whole point of that article seems to be about the negative sides of companies rushing their products when close to the deadline, having to add new progammers or maybe annoucing their games even they know it will be complete. Do you believe the game would be better and would release sooner if Blizzard didn't announce it when they did? I honestly don't, I just think the announcement would be later but we would still not have the game, which is not what the article says.


My take on Blizzard announcing games way earlier than the actual release date (even years before that): If they didn't announce SC2 or D3 at all, just said "Here! SC2 for you, we kept it secret and now you can buy it!", guess what, I'd buy it.
As it is, I didn't bother to buy SC2 as it failed my expectations even during the beta (b.net 2.0 especially). And I feel that the same thing is going to happen with D3 for me. I've lost all interest in this game whatsoever (especially with F2P indie game PoE coming out soon, I will at least give it a shot since it's free and I don't think I'll do that for D3) and I have to admit that when they announced it I was totally hyped.

P. S.
And screw the feedback. They can just release the game, THEN take feedback and just patch it. Where's the problem in that? There are games that undergo huge changes since original release. I don't see how feedback based on some in-game footage, rumours and screens is going to benefit anyone.
Time is precious. Waste it wisely.
SKC
Profile Joined October 2010
Brazil18828 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-08-20 19:00:31
August 20 2011 18:59 GMT
#5000
On August 21 2011 03:48 Manit0u wrote:
Show nested quote +
On August 21 2011 01:55 SKC wrote:
On August 21 2011 01:33 Rybka wrote:
On August 21 2011 01:14 Simberto wrote:

So, your argument is that one should only announce stuff shortly before it is ready, and that that would be a good thing? I simply don't see the reason for that. As a player, i find earlier announcements and information better than later, but other people should view that differently. The time of announcement should not influence the time of release in any way, so if you announce closer to launch you don't get games that launch earlier, just announcements that are later. No advantage in that in my opinion.


Exactly!

The reason for doing it is that you avoid all of the negative press that Diablo's own fans are pushing. Consider the timeline...

-Blizzard announces Diablo 3 beta coming "soon."
-Fans freak out with excitement. They track every word the Blues post. They follow twitter feeds and leaked screenshots.
-However, Diablo 3 isn't ready. They are at least 2-3 months out from having a product ready to present to the public.
-The community demands info, but semi-complete armor concepts and cryptic tweets are the only things they have to latch onto.
-The fanbase begins to make sketchy assumptions about basic game concepts (ex: RMAH) without any context. They begin to draw negative inferences without complete information.
-Most of the conversation in the community turns negative.

Given what we've all seen, not the least of which can be found in the last 200+ pages of this thread, tell me how announcing things early is good thing? Even though it will surely be amazing and a worthy successor to the franchise, I don't think Blizzard has done itself any favors with the way it's marketed this game.



You also get a lot of feedback during your whole development cycle. As long as you manage to focus or what's helpful and ignore what is not, this can only be a good thing. It's always hard to say what changes Blizzard does that are actually influenced by the feedback, but I doubt there are none. They also seem very good about stickying to their original design intentions if they believe they are superior, sometimes maybe too good.

As long as you don't mind the bad talk and immediate backlash of some annoucements, I can only see it as a good thing for the developtment of the game. It's not like people will not buy the game in the end because the information came sooner. If they released all the controversial stuff they have done sooner to the release, I think more people would actually not buy it since the information is fresh in their memory. Those boycott some people claim really fade away with time.

Edit:I skimmed through the article and I honestly don't believe it applies to Blizzard. There are no delays if there are no annoucement dates. There is no rush to complete it on time if there is not time to complete it in. That's basically what Blizzard always said when they claim their "When it's done" policy. The whole point of that article seems to be about the negative sides of companies rushing their products when close to the deadline, having to add new progammers or maybe annoucing their games even they know it will be complete. Do you believe the game would be better and would release sooner if Blizzard didn't announce it when they did? I honestly don't, I just think the announcement would be later but we would still not have the game, which is not what the article says.


My take on Blizzard announcing games way earlier than the actual release date (even years before that): If they didn't announce SC2 or D3 at all, just said "Here! SC2 for you, we kept it secret and now you can buy it!", guess what, I'd buy it.
As it is, I didn't bother to buy SC2 as it failed my expectations even during the beta (b.net 2.0 especially). And I feel that the same thing is going to happen with D3 for me. I've lost all interest in this game whatsoever (especially with F2P indie game PoE coming out soon, I will at least give it a shot since it's free and I don't think I'll do that for D3) and I have to admit that when they announced it I was totally hyped.

P. S.
And screw the feedback. They can just release the game, THEN take feedback and just patch it. Where's the problem in that? There are games that undergo huge changes since original release. I don't see how feedback based on some in-game footage, rumours and screens is going to benefit anyone.


Well, if you are talking about SC2 specifically, the farthest they could announce would be a little before the Beta starts. If you are talking about less Beta time, that would probally bring huge problems. The game started completelly unbalanced, it took major changes and they couldn't just launch it like the start of the beta, or even the middle of the beta, and patch later, the game would be a huge joke for the first six months.

Did you give up on SC2 before the beta started? I think anyone that does give up does it at least after actually seeing how the game plays out, so I don't think announcing things just before the Beta would make a diference. Would you really have bought the game if they had just announced it, you saw the beta and didn't like it? As for how important feedback is, I have no idea how much Blizzard listens to it, but I don't know how it can be a bad thing. Feedback also goes way beyond screens and videos. How many playable versions have been there are Blizzcon, for example?
Prev 1 248 249 250 251 252 1109 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
INu's Battles
20:00
INu's Battles#21
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
IntoTheiNu 426
LiquipediaDiscussion
Sparkling Tuna Cup
19:00
Weekly #149 (SHIN Mod Edition)
Krystianer vs YoungYakovLIVE!
ByuN vs TBD
CranKy Ducklings153
CranKy Ducklings SOOP24
LiquipediaDiscussion
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft: Brood War
Shuttle 11239
Britney 10732
FanTaSy 2137
Hyuk 882
Horang2 613
BeSt 458
Stork 271
Pusan 238
Killer 135
EffOrt 129
[ Show more ]
Last 127
Mini 125
Zeus 116
Mind 99
Hyun 63
sorry 61
ggaemo 53
Snow 48
PianO 47
Bale 32
ToSsGirL 32
JYJ 30
Hm[arnc] 29
Aegong 19
zelot 14
Sacsri 10
Noble 7
ajuk12(nOOB) 5
Dota 2
XcaliburYe372
Counter-Strike
fl0m1613
byalli804
x6flipin226
Other Games
gofns27509
singsing2884
B2W.Neo515
ArmadaUGS85
Mew2King68
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick704
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream81
[ Show 10 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• Michael_bg 9
• FirePhoenix5
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Upcoming Events
Shopify Rebellion Sundays
3h 42m
MilkiCow vs TBD
Clem vs TBD
BSL Open Qualifier
7h 42m
BSL Open Qualifier
7h 42m
Replay Cast
11h 42m
Afreeca Starleague
22h 42m
Rush vs Light
WardiTV Weekly
23h 42m
Monday Night Weeklies
1d 4h
Replay Cast
1d 11h
Afreeca Starleague
1d 22h
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
1d 23h
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
[ Show More ]
PiGosaur Cup
2 days
The PondCast
3 days
INu's Battles
3 days
Replay Cast
5 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
6 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
Copium Cup
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.