• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 12:53
CEST 18:53
KST 01:53
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double1Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon105
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double Balance hotfix patch 5.0.16b (July 16) How do you feel about the StarCraft shooter announcement at BlizzCon 2026? Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple
Tourneys
2026 GSTL Grand Finals ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament Master Swan Open (Global Bronze-Master 2) Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20)
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
BW General Discussion Bot on ladder [ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach PLAYzone Challenge - open offline tour in Prague an AI researcher's take on the ladder bot
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 1
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero Nintendo Switch Thread EVE Corporation
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread All you football fans (soccer)!
Fan Clubs
MarineLorD Fan Club The Creator Fan Club The ShoWTimE Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
Violent-Cooperative Play and…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 7120 users

Here To Stay - Page 7

Forum Index > Final Edits
209 CommentsPost a Reply
Prev 1 5 6 7 8 9 11 Next All
timmeh
Profile Joined September 2009
Austria177 Posts
September 19 2009 13:22 GMT
#121
He may be here to stay, but I think he will never reach that status of Boxer or Savior in terms of popularity. Unfortunately he is not very innovative. Quite obviously, on the other hand, his mechanics are second to none. But I think Starcraft lives - at least for me - from innovative, cheese, unexpected play, rather than repetitive perfect execution.
;o
D10
Profile Blog Joined December 2007
Brazil3409 Posts
September 19 2009 13:45 GMT
#122
Bisu is like Che Guevara or hannibal, he knows how to get a win, but not how to use it (as in, he knows how to reach the top, but has trouble maintaining it)
" We are not humans having spiritual experiences. - We are spirits having human experiences." - Pierre Teilhard de Chardin
JohnBall
Profile Joined December 2008
Brazil1272 Posts
September 19 2009 13:50 GMT
#123
Nice article. I'm a big Jaedong fan and even in my eyes JD and MJY are not on the same holyness level. Jaedong is a friggin monster but MJY is the Grandfather of all zergs. In zerg terms, Jaedong is a very efficient cerebrate (perhaps the most efficient cerebrate there is) but Savior is the Overmind or the Queen of Blades.

BTW, I loved this picture caption: "Jaedong's hands are an essential part of his play style". errr... Thank god he has hands, I guess. My hands are an essential part of my play style as well since I would never be able to play with my feet.

Thanks for the write up Plexa, you rule (altough not as much as the Dong).
perfecting the art of five pool forever
JWD
Profile Blog Joined October 2007
United States12607 Posts
Last Edited: 2009-09-19 17:57:36
September 19 2009 14:08 GMT
#124
Solid article as always Plexa — it's nice to finally see this published!

I, too, am a pretty serious JD anti-fan. It's tough to come to terms with just how good/significant he is...
✌
blahman3344
Profile Blog Joined March 2009
United States2015 Posts
September 19 2009 14:40 GMT
#125
brilliant article
it was really insightful into the way jaedong plays
I like haikus and / I can not lie. You other / brothers can't deny
Plexa
Profile Blog Joined October 2005
Aotearoa39261 Posts
September 19 2009 15:26 GMT
#126
On September 19 2009 21:30 Elroi wrote:
I love your write up! But I have to say that fore me JD is one of the most intelligent players around which is most visible in his ZvZ where he sneaks zerglings and really seem to read the opponents mind with superior BOs. I think you tend to fall in the usual trap that consists of thinking that one has to be one of two things like: artistically or mathematically skilled, good at micro or macro, intelligent or beautiful etc.. I think that is a stereotypical way of thinking, though I agree that JDs builds tend to be more macro heavy and "straight up" than those of - say - Fantasy or Boxer. One uf the best write ups I have seen on TL though, great work!

And I have to add that I think WCG Korea = 1\2 Starleague at most. A lot less pressure, more active seeding, smaller tournament etc
You're not the only person to talk about ZvZ so I'll try to make a collective justification of my views. Up until the Calm semifinal Jaedong played every ZvZ with the mindset that whomever had the best 'physical' won. Indeed, I can find you interviews which justify this statement (and will do so at your request). Calm raped Jaedong with clever play - and after that Jaedong began to use hidden lings and whatnot in ZvZ and started uses more strategy in his play. So yea, in ZvZ, atleast recently, he has been really creative and strategic but still he's just copying what calm did to him so I don't know what to make of that exactly.
Administrator~ Spirit will set you free ~
okum
Profile Blog Joined February 2009
France5779 Posts
September 19 2009 15:27 GMT
#127
On September 19 2009 22:22 timmeh wrote:
He may be here to stay, but I think he will never reach that status of Boxer or Savior in terms of popularity. Unfortunately he is not very innovative. Quite obviously, on the other hand, his mechanics are second to none. But I think Starcraft lives - at least for me - from innovative, cheese, unexpected play, rather than repetitive perfect execution.

Jaedong is definitely not repetitive. He cheeses frequently and uses the full arsenal of zerg strategies in all matchups. Z just doesn't have as many fancy options as T and P in the cheese department.
Flash fan before it was cool | Coiner of "jangbang"
29 fps
Profile Blog Joined March 2008
United States5725 Posts
September 19 2009 15:49 GMT
#128
nice writeup. JD is gonna rule the progaming scene for many years to come. then he'll make ACE super good.
4v4 is a battle of who has the better computer.
Malinor
Profile Joined November 2008
Germany4758 Posts
Last Edited: 2009-09-19 19:33:10
September 19 2009 15:52 GMT
#129
On September 20 2009 00:26 Plexa wrote:
Show nested quote +
On September 19 2009 21:30 Elroi wrote:
I love your write up! But I have to say that fore me JD is one of the most intelligent players around which is most visible in his ZvZ where he sneaks zerglings and really seem to read the opponents mind with superior BOs. I think you tend to fall in the usual trap that consists of thinking that one has to be one of two things like: artistically or mathematically skilled, good at micro or macro, intelligent or beautiful etc.. I think that is a stereotypical way of thinking, though I agree that JDs builds tend to be more macro heavy and "straight up" than those of - say - Fantasy or Boxer. One uf the best write ups I have seen on TL though, great work!

And I have to add that I think WCG Korea = 1\2 Starleague at most. A lot less pressure, more active seeding, smaller tournament etc
You're not the only person to talk about ZvZ so I'll try to make a collective justification of my views. Up until the Calm semifinal Jaedong played every ZvZ with the mindset that whomever had the best 'physical' won. Indeed, I can find you interviews which justify this statement (and will do so at your request). Calm raped Jaedong with clever play - and after that Jaedong began to use hidden lings and whatnot in ZvZ and started uses more strategy in his play. So yea, in ZvZ, atleast recently, he has been really creative and strategic but still he's just copying what calm did to him so I don't know what to make of that exactly.


I have to disagree. Jaedong uses hidden lings in ZvZ since forever. Don't have the time to look for all those game, but maybe someone else does or has a better memory than me.

I completely agree, that mechanics are the strongest part of his play and the main reason he is the best right now. But I won't underestimate his potential when it comes to strategies. He may not be Boxer-esque, and sometimes he does not adapt too well, but he surely has his moments.

Trying to think of some examples, the trap he set for Canata in Game5 of the MSL-quarterfinals was beautiful, there is not a doubt in my mind that it wasn't planned. I also liked his hydra/lurk on RH3 against Flash in the WL-Playoffs. I used to watch nearly every pro game during that time and there was nearly no Hydra/lurk games against terran back then.
I also believe that no one expected that he would use Hydra/lurk against Fantasy on Outsider in the semis. He found a counter to Fantasys tvz style on Outsider (which is pretty damn strong) within a week, without a Julyzerg and Savior within his coaching staff.
Also the game against Kal on HR in the MSL Ro16 comes to mind. Although I don't remember all the details, I believe he brilliantly faked a 3hatch Hydra all-in and transitioned into heavy macro mode, and Kal could not do anything after warping in too many cannons.

Just some examples from the top of my head. I really believe that you underestimate his strategic qualities, but I agree, they are overshadowed by his unbelievable mechanics.
"Withstand. Suffer. Live as you must now live. There will, one day, be answer to this." ||| "A life, Jimmy, you know what that is? It's the shit that happens while you're waiting for moments that never come."
SuperaddE
Profile Joined July 2009
Sweden132 Posts
September 19 2009 16:06 GMT
#130
Great writing! I must say I'm a huge Flash-fan so I dislike Jaedong taking his spot as THE player. But it's well deserved.
RIP KT_Violet
TheYango
Profile Joined September 2008
United States47024 Posts
Last Edited: 2009-09-19 16:41:13
September 19 2009 16:33 GMT
#131
On September 19 2009 19:30 Polyphasic wrote:
i dislike how so many people always say that a person's strength is some sort of psychological thing. though it's true a lot of the cases, it doesn't make them different from many other competitors who are just as strong psychologically.

Except in this case it's actually true. His game 1 play is not that much better than Flash or Bisu (arguably, they make better showings in small sets and single matches, given their statistics). Jaedong has the endurance to keep going through a match. There's a reason that he's the comeback champion: you compare the FPVODs of his opponents and competitors through a set, and they make more mistakes in game 3-5 (Fantasy and Bisu epitomize this), when he doesn't. Even opponents like Fantasy who dominate him 1-set games like PL finals just don't have the mental fortitude he does. Like it or not, Jaedong's star factor is something that comes into play late in sets, because that star factor just doesn't show up in 1-set venues.

In part, I think this might be why people refuse to believe Jaedong is as good as he is--when they watch a Jaedong Bo5, they don't see him making some epic play, but they see his opponent making some epic fail ("it's called hold position, bro", fantasy's retarded wall-in in RotK, or Flash 14cc-ing into a 9pool for the 23758291857th time). But frankly, that's part of Jaedong's greatness--that he makes so few mistakes, and his opponents can't keep up. The secret to Jaedong is not innovation, like Boxer or Savior, but pure, simple, perfection.
Moderator
ArnO-
Profile Joined May 2008
United States258 Posts
September 19 2009 16:34 GMT
#132
On September 19 2009 21:25 Plexa wrote:
I'm not convinced Jaedong is leading any revolution on the ZvP front. Yes he's refining the builds and whatnot, but that's not revolutionary. He's not ahead of the curve, he's right on the curve. Zero is an example of a player who is ahead of the Curve - his use of Queens on Heartbreak for instance. Hyun, as terrible as he is, also is ahead of the curve but is so much weaker in every other area lolol. Again, its the Jaedong formula in use


Jaedong was the one who showed everybody queens are a viable unit making it possible for people like Zero to incorporate it into their play. Although I would still agree that Zero is more of an innovator than Jaedong.
Misrah
Profile Blog Joined February 2008
United States1695 Posts
September 19 2009 16:35 GMT
#133
Bitchen writeup thanks for the effort! it was a great read and i cannot wait to be able to read more of your stuff!
A thread vaguely bashing SC2? SWARM ON, LOW POST COUNT BRETHREN! DEFEND THE GLORIOUS GAME THAT IS OUR LIVELIHOOD
icystorage
Profile Blog Joined November 2008
Jollibee19350 Posts
September 19 2009 16:54 GMT
#134
great read, very entertaining and informative thanks :D
LiquidDota StaffAre you ready for a Miracle-? We are! The International 2017 Champions!
Sinensis
Profile Blog Joined April 2009
United States2513 Posts
September 19 2009 17:27 GMT
#135
Excellent read. It's been said before but TL is the only place that can get me excited about long articles.
iFU.pauline
Profile Joined September 2009
France1768 Posts
September 19 2009 17:29 GMT
#136
that's the hick with teamliquid, it's always about the most famous the most unfamous, the most second, the most loved, the most hated blablablablabla, usually i love your articles but this one is boring, it's like hearing Artosis always talking about "the most...."


No coward soul is mine, No trembler in the world's storm-troubled sphere, I see Heaven's glories shine, And Faith shines equal arming me from Fear
MisteR
Profile Blog Joined July 2009
Netherlands595 Posts
September 19 2009 17:46 GMT
#137
I just want to say: this was excellent writing. If you are not yet a historian, Plexa, you should seriously consider becoming one.
Nal_Ra/Much/Horang2/Flying fighting!~
Re-Play-
Profile Blog Joined September 2007
Dominican Republic825 Posts
September 19 2009 17:47 GMT
#138
Amazing write-up yo
Jaedong? bisu? i think Bisu is better than Jaedong, Jaedong havent invented anything
he just play straigh up, and to keep in count he is Zerg user Zerg is 1a2a3a4a EZZ race IMO
P1: Best rank? P2:1st time iccup, P1:really? P1 looks at the account of P2 WOW B+ last season ^^
Elroi
Profile Joined August 2009
Sweden5617 Posts
September 19 2009 18:50 GMT
#139
On September 20 2009 00:52 Malinor wrote:
Show nested quote +
On September 20 2009 00:26 Plexa wrote:
On September 19 2009 21:30 Elroi wrote:
I love your write up! But I have to say that fore me JD is one of the most intelligent players around which is most visible in his ZvZ where he sneaks zerglings and really seem to read the opponents mind with superior BOs. I think you tend to fall in the usual trap that consists of thinking that one has to be one of two things like: artistically or mathematically skilled, good at micro or macro, intelligent or beautiful etc.. I think that is a stereotypical way of thinking, though I agree that JDs builds tend to be more macro heavy and "straight up" than those of - say - Fantasy or Boxer. One uf the best write ups I have seen on TL though, great work!

And I have to add that I think WCG Korea = 1\2 Starleague at most. A lot less pressure, more active seeding, smaller tournament etc
You're not the only person to talk about ZvZ so I'll try to make a collective justification of my views. Up until the Calm semifinal Jaedong played every ZvZ with the mindset that whomever had the best 'physical' won. Indeed, I can find you interviews which justify this statement (and will do so at your request). Calm raped Jaedong with clever play - and after that Jaedong began to use hidden lings and whatnot in ZvZ and started uses more strategy in his play. So yea, in ZvZ, atleast recently, he has been really creative and strategic but still he's just copying what calm did to him so I don't know what to make of that exactly.


I have to disagree. Jaedong uses hidden lings in ZvZ since forever. Don't have the time to look for all those game, but maybe someone else does or has a better memory than me.

I completely agree, that mechanics are the strongest part of his play and the main reason he is the best right now. But I won't underestimate his potential when it comes to strategies. He may not be Boxeresque, and sometimes he does not adapt too well, but he surely has his moments.

Trying to think of some examples, the trap he set for Canata in Game5 of the MSL-quarterfinals was beautiful, there is not a doubt in my mind that it wasn't planned. I also liked his hydra/lurk on RH3 against Flash in the WL-Playoffs. I used to watch nearly every pro game during that time and there was nearly no Hydra/lurk games against terran bach then.
I also believe that no one expected that he would use Hydra/lurk against Fantasy on Outsider in the semis. He found a counter to Fantasys tvz style on Outsider (which is pretty damn strong) within a week, without a Julyzerg and Savior within his coaching staff.
Also the game against Kal on HR in the MSL Ro16 comes to mind. Although I don't remember all the details, I believe he brilliantly faked a 3hatch Hydra all-in and transitioned into heavy macro mode, and Kal could not do anything after warping too many cannons.

Just some examples from the top of my head. I really believe that you underestimate his strategic qualities, but I agree, they are overshadowed by his unbelievable mechanics.


I would like to add the super fast hidden min-only expo vs FBH on destination, that was just sexy
"To all eSports fans, I want to be remembered as a progamer who can make something out of nothing, and someone who always does his best. I think that is the right way of living, and I'm always doing my best to follow that." - Jaedong. /watch?v=jfghAzJqAp0
Sc2ggRise
Profile Blog Joined January 2009
United States607 Posts
September 19 2009 19:15 GMT
#140
great read... but I gotta say I'm a NaDa fan
Prev 1 5 6 7 8 9 11 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Monday Night Weeklies
16:00
#65
RotterdaM647
TaKeTV 188
IndyStarCraft 117
BRAT_OK 107
LiquipediaDiscussion
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
RotterdaM 647
TKL 225
ProTech138
IndyStarCraft 117
BRAT_OK 107
UpATreeSC 71
Rex 45
Codebar 44
MindelVK 11
StarCraft: Brood War
Shuttle 1016
EffOrt 613
Mini 539
ggaemo 206
firebathero 183
Dewaltoss 114
Rush 76
Barracks 69
910 65
Zeus 52
[ Show more ]
Shine 48
Hyun 46
Killer 37
Shinee 35
Bale 28
soO 23
ToSsGirL 22
Sexy 18
Trap 16
yabsab 12
Sacsri 8
Dota 2
qojqva4333
Dendi1688
Counter-Strike
Fnx 776
Heroes of the Storm
crisheroes1003
Liquid`Hasu423
Other Games
Liquid`RaSZi2289
singsing1939
B2W.Neo505
Beastyqt381
ceh9343
Sick185
ArmadaUGS126
C9.Mang062
Trikslyr47
Organizations
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream529
[ Show 14 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• mYiSmile124
• intothetv
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• FirePhoenix10
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
League of Legends
• Nemesis2917
• TFBlade826
Other Games
• WagamamaTV277
• Shiphtur9
Upcoming Events
Sparkling Tuna Cup
17h 7m
Afreeca Starleague
17h 7m
Leta vs Soulkey
PiGosaur Cup
1d 7h
Kung Fu Cup
1d 18h
The PondCast
2 days
Replay Cast
3 days
CranKy Ducklings
4 days
Online Event
4 days
FEL
4 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
5 days
[ Show More ]
Sparkling Tuna Cup
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
WardiTV Weekly
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-27
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual
Stake Ranked Episode 3

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.