• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 12:08
CEST 18:08
KST 01:08
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror6[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
Rollback Netcode in Brood War645.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 202621Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)78
StarCraft 2
General
5.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 2026 [Old] StarCraft 3 Reportedly in Development StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)
Tourneys
RSL 2026 Offline Finals LCQ Sign-Ups $3,500 WardiTV Not-Summer Championship ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) ISSL (IntoTheTV x SOOP SC2 League): Premier
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
Sagi.gg Launcher Released ChatGPT cheats at StarSkirmish SCAI tournament Rollback Netcode in Brood War BW General Discussion TL Sidebar missing streams
Tourneys
[Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Semifinal A [ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Simple Questions, Simple Answers Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do?
Other Games
General Games
Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25!
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
[Manga] One Piece Movie Discussion! Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread TeamLiquid Health and Fitness Initiative For 2023 MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 10982 users

[TV] HBO Game of Thrones - Page 113

Forum Index > Media & Entertainment
Post a Reply
Prev 1 111 112 113 114 115 1836 Next
All book discussion in this thread is now allowed.
SichuanPanda
Profile Blog Joined March 2010
Canada1542 Posts
May 04 2011 16:00 GMT
#2241
On May 05 2011 00:53 Sm3agol wrote:
Show nested quote +
On May 05 2011 00:50 HansMoleman wrote:
So after seeing this thread I decided to....'buy' the first episode of the show and I must say, the best part was the tits. It is sad but true. Perhaps it is because I have never even heard of the books the show is based on, but I thought this was a real snoozer. I got to the 45 minute mark when I finally decided to give up on waiting for something to actually happen. I noticed that just about everyone who posted had something good to say about the show, but I just don't see it, but I'm willing to give Ep. 2 a whirl. Does it get a little more exciting, or will it put an insomniac to sleep like Ep. 1?

Don't think of the episodes as a complete story....think of it as a complete story being shown an hour at a time. The action should start to get hot and furious next episode, with 5 and 6 being just ridiculous. it would be like reading the first 50 pages of a thousand page book, and then saying its trash because it was boring and you couldn't get into it.


The very reason HansMoleman found the show boring is why so many people find it good. Personally as a viewer, and like many other people evidently. I'm tired of purely episodic shows that rush to an abrupt ending just so they can boast an 'action-packed' 45 minutes. Having action happen on screen isn't enough for me, I want a show that builds on multiple layers of story, character development, and incidental episode based events alike. Game of Thrones does this in the first three episodes and I'm sure I'm not the only one who appreciates it. It may take even until episode seven until real serious action starts happening, and thats great because it won't be a show with 10-15 episodes of meaningless story devoid rubbish like so many shows nowadays. I hope they take the direction of making it continued story the entire season.
i-bonjwa
Kralic
Profile Blog Joined March 2010
Canada2628 Posts
May 04 2011 16:16 GMT
#2242
Loving this show so much, if only it could be like the books and already be out to purchase so I can watch it in its entirety without the wait.
Brood War forever!
Xayoz
Profile Joined December 2010
Estonia373 Posts
May 04 2011 17:37 GMT
#2243
People complaining about the lack of action... what do you mean by action?
Song of Ice and Fire is not (and probably never will be) about epic battles or sword fights.
Its a drama series, set in a fantasy setting.
Whenever you correct someone's grammar just remember that nobody likes you.
1Eris1
Profile Joined September 2010
United States5797 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-05-04 20:45:17
May 04 2011 17:45 GMT
#2244
On May 05 2011 02:37 Xayoz wrote:
People complaining about the lack of action... what do you mean by action?
Song of Ice and Fire is not (and probably never will be) about epic battles or sword fights.
Its a drama series, set in a fantasy setting.



+ Show Spoiler +
Battle of blackwater man, or the siege at the wall.

But yeah I agree, it is more based on the drama. You could almost compare it to LoTR, which is actually very light on the action part (the movies way overportray it)


User was warned for this post

Mod edit: Spoiler tags added.
Known Aliases: Tyragon, Valeric ~MSL Forever, SKT is truly the Superior KT!
zimms
Profile Joined November 2009
Austria561 Posts
May 04 2011 18:39 GMT
#2245
It's so hard to wait so long for the next episodes. I really hope that they'll be given the chance to do all books.

I'm a little afraid that the whole story will get to complex for the average viewer. Some people like Hans here can't even wait for the story to get going.

[image loading]
Igakusei
Profile Blog Joined October 2002
United States610 Posts
May 04 2011 18:50 GMT
#2246
On May 05 2011 00:50 HansMoleman wrote:
So after seeing this thread I decided to....'buy' the first episode of the show and I must say, the best part was the tits. It is sad but true. Perhaps it is because I have never even heard of the books the show is based on, but I thought this was a real snoozer. I got to the 45 minute mark when I finally decided to give up on waiting for something to actually happen. I noticed that just about everyone who posted had something good to say about the show, but I just don't see it, but I'm willing to give Ep. 2 a whirl. Does it get a little more exciting, or will it put an insomniac to sleep like Ep. 1?


I have to agree with Sm3agol; think of it like reading a book. You don't get self-contained plots and closure in every episode. If you want something like that you're going to end up with another "Legend of the Seeker," and NOBODY wants that.
Kralic
Profile Blog Joined March 2010
Canada2628 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-05-04 19:00:24
May 04 2011 19:00 GMT
#2247
On May 05 2011 03:39 zimms wrote:
It's so hard to wait so long for the next episodes. I really hope that they'll be given the chance to do all books.

I'm a little afraid that the whole story will get to complex for the average viewer. Some people like Hans here can't even wait for the story to get going.



Hopefully, it was like that for BSG (not the old one) as well, the fans loved it for the most part but there were just not enough people aside from fans tuning in thus, the split seasons on DVD/Bluray to increase the sales for the show. Glad they got 5+ seasons done though. Hoping this show can get 5 books done.
Brood War forever!
Sm3agol
Profile Blog Joined September 2010
United States2055 Posts
May 04 2011 19:20 GMT
#2248
I'm starting to worry about the show, tbh, almost everything I read about it involves people who haven't read the books, and have the attention spans of a 4 year old, and are bored to tears 30 minutes into the first episode of a 10 episode season...based on a 1000 page book. Makes me sad inside. If 6 heads don't fly off, 4 people don't have sex, 13 sets of fine boobs aren't shown, and at least 36 minutes of swordfighting aren't shown per episode, then it's a crap series.
zimms
Profile Joined November 2009
Austria561 Posts
May 04 2011 19:25 GMT
#2249
On May 05 2011 04:20 Sm3agol wrote:[...] If 6 heads don't fly off, 4 people don't have sex, 13 sets of fine boobs aren't shown, and at least 36 minutes of swordfighting aren't shown per episode, then it's a crap series.


Well, there's still Spartacus ^^
DrainX
Profile Blog Joined December 2006
Sweden3187 Posts
May 04 2011 19:46 GMT
#2250
On May 05 2011 04:20 Sm3agol wrote:
I'm starting to worry about the show, tbh, almost everything I read about it involves people who haven't read the books, and have the attention spans of a 4 year old, and are bored to tears 30 minutes into the first episode of a 10 episode season...based on a 1000 page book. Makes me sad inside. If 6 heads don't fly off, 4 people don't have sex, 13 sets of fine boobs aren't shown, and at least 36 minutes of swordfighting aren't shown per episode, then it's a crap series.

I think the overall reaction from "average viewers" is very positive. The show is currently ranked #3 on TV.com and #1 on metacritic among show running right now, voted by users of those two sites. It seems that most people like it even if there will always be people with short attention spans and other who can't stand fantasy no matter the presentation. We don't want to cater to those kind of viewers anyway. That would just ruin the show.
unkkz
Profile Blog Joined December 2007
Norway2196 Posts
May 04 2011 20:42 GMT
#2251
If this show somehow gets cancelled before it has concluded its story then i will seriously give up on hoping for any form of quality entertainment coming from a TV production. It is so far a terrific show and it hasnt even picked up in speed yet:

(Recent episodes spoiler)
+ Show Spoiler +
I mean they are setting so much stuff up, Snow's struggle at the Nightswatch which is nothing but a prison of sorts for petty thieves - the opposite of what he thought it would be. The Lanistairs plotting for the throne, is the dwarf in on it or isn't he? The "politicians" in the capital also seem fishy to me. Starks youngest daughter will obviously swing her sword at someone. Stark himself being set up for some political clashes and also i would bet some form of tragedy. Winterfell under starks son's rule will probably see some problems. Then there's the blonde girl(name i can never remember) marrying and manipulating her new horselord of a husband(My thought is she plays all nice until she gets some power, then she will kill her brother and go for the throne) and more and even more! I haven't read the books but holy shit the potential for drama and action is just massive, there are so many things in motion that when the later episodes of the show gets to showing it's gonna be fan-fucking-tastic.
Marradron
Profile Blog Joined January 2009
Netherlands1586 Posts
May 04 2011 20:52 GMT
#2252
I think the best part of the show is the atmosphere and tension and overall awsomeness. This compensates for a lot. Though it the city and knights dont feel as masive as I thought they would be. But I guesse thats just caused by the budged and possibilitys.
karazax
Profile Joined May 2010
United States3737 Posts
May 04 2011 20:53 GMT
#2253
Some people just aren't going to like the show. That's the case with ANY book or show or movie. Fortunately fans don't need everyone to like it, just enough so that future seasons are produced. And so far relative to other HBO shows the support has been strong. The first book especially is more like a cold war type setting, rather than an action movie. + Show Spoiler [ future seasons & action] +
Even in the future books which have more open warfare, many of the battles are not experienced directly by the characters, but rather heard about from others. There will be more battles in the future, but the focus of much of the story is the political manuevering, schemeing and alliances that take place when fighting for power, and the effects they have on the characters and the rest of the world.
RA
Profile Joined October 2008
Latvia791 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-05-04 20:57:46
May 04 2011 20:54 GMT
#2254
On May 05 2011 04:46 DrainX wrote:
Show nested quote +
On May 05 2011 04:20 Sm3agol wrote:
I'm starting to worry about the show, tbh, almost everything I read about it involves people who haven't read the books, and have the attention spans of a 4 year old, and are bored to tears 30 minutes into the first episode of a 10 episode season...based on a 1000 page book. Makes me sad inside. If 6 heads don't fly off, 4 people don't have sex, 13 sets of fine boobs aren't shown, and at least 36 minutes of swordfighting aren't shown per episode, then it's a crap series.

I think the overall reaction from "average viewers" is very positive. The show is currently ranked #3 on TV.com and #1 on metacritic among show running right now, voted by users of those two sites. It seems that most people like it even if there will always be people with short attention spans and other who can't stand fantasy no matter the presentation. We don't want to cater to those kind of viewers anyway. That would just ruin the show.


I agree with both of you. And thank God nobody would do this show for such taste.

Spartacus was ok, yet I think magnitude and depth is incomparible. Besides of the needless vulgarity.

Potentially GoT/ASoIAF could be another generation favorite series, not Star Wars, but closer to Babylon 5 and similar. Which I honestly hope it's gonna be like. Because most shows are cool just for a moment and I want something deep and lasting.

Super glad about them bringing it to screen. I'm still shockingly surprised about the quality, because usually my taste is something I rarely get to see reflected in mainstream.

On May 05 2011 05:52 Marradron wrote:
I think the best part of the show is the atmosphere and tension and overall awsomeness. This compensates for a lot. Though it the city and knights dont feel as masive as I thought they would be. But I guesse thats just caused by the budged and possibilitys.


I felt the same, I was hoping for some eagle-eye or a distant view on King's Landing like we got of Winterfell in Ep1.
StorkHwaiting
Profile Blog Joined October 2009
United States3465 Posts
May 04 2011 21:00 GMT
#2255
I don't know if GoT will rival something like Babylon 5. I don't think there are enough endearing characters/moral lessons in GoT like Babylon 5 offers. The SoI&F series has always struck me as incredible story-telling and plotting combined with unrelenting grittiness and gratuitous amounts of fan-service violence/rape/knights in shining armor. In terms of sophistication SoI&F is up there, but I don't find as many of those memorable life lessons in it that make a big impact on young impressionable minds. It's why I can remember James and the Giant Peach and My Teacher Is An Alien with perfect clarity, but I have trouble remembering anything that happened in A Feast For Crows.

Maginor
Profile Joined May 2010
Norway505 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-05-04 21:09:48
May 04 2011 21:02 GMT
#2256
About the size of Kings Landing, you can glimpse it over the balcony in the Arya/Syrio scene. They just haven't had any scenes that needed to show the full size of it yet. What we saw of the palace was pretty big, though, and we will probably get to see other parts of the city in future episodes. When you walk around in a city, you don't normally see how big it is unless you are at an elevated position.

Edit: when I come to think of it, there is a panorama shot of it in the first episode as well. It is this one: http://www.filmedge.net/thrones/images/kings-landing.jpg
karazax
Profile Joined May 2010
United States3737 Posts
May 04 2011 21:08 GMT
#2257
There is a distant picture of King's Landing:+ Show Spoiler [picture of King's Landing] +
[image loading]

iaretehnoob
Profile Joined June 2004
Sweden741 Posts
May 04 2011 21:16 GMT
#2258
the Dothraki horde is missing a few ten thousand people, other than that I'm pretty happy with the feeling of scale the show gives so far.
Quotidian
Profile Joined August 2010
Norway1937 Posts
May 04 2011 23:57 GMT
#2259
On May 05 2011 06:16 iaretehnoob wrote:
the Dothraki horde is missing a few ten thousand people, other than that I'm pretty happy with the feeling of scale the show gives so far.



yeah, you'd think the mass ai hordes we saw in Return of the King would be affordable for tv productions by now.
ALang
Profile Joined April 2010
Canada288 Posts
May 05 2011 00:36 GMT
#2260
Never read the books but the show has grabbed me. Fantasy drama/soap opera is a surprisingly engaging combination.
Prev 1 111 112 113 114 115 1836 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Patches Events
00:00
Patch Clash S1 Special #1
RotterdaM756
IndyStarCraft 184
Liquipedia
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
RotterdaM 756
Reynor 351
TKL 314
ByuN 279
IndyStarCraft 184
Railgan 83
BRAT_OK 39
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 55520
Bisu 2919
Calm 2409
FanTaSy 879
Stork 596
Rush 457
hero 297
firebathero 170
actioN 133
Sharp 98
[ Show more ]
Free 50
Sea.KH 49
ToSsGirL 37
Mong 34
Pusan 30
soO 25
Rock 24
Terrorterran 20
Aegong 18
Hm[arnc] 17
HiyA 17
Sacsri 12
Noble 12
scan(afreeca) 9
IntoTheRainbow 6
Dota 2
Gorgc10396
Dendi983
Counter-Strike
fl0m4700
Super Smash Bros
Mew2King72
Heroes of the Storm
MindelVK7
Other Games
singsing2084
Liquid`RaSZi1601
B2W.Neo727
Beastyqt655
Mlord485
Khaldor466
olofmeister423
KnowMe326
crisheroes177
Organizations
Other Games
BasetradeTV259
[ Show 17 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Hinosc 8
• Adnapsc2 6
• Reevou 1
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• FT.aCt)Sony5
• niya90s 1
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• WagamamaTV546
League of Legends
• Nemesis3226
Counter-Strike
• C_a_k_e 1484
Other Games
• Shiphtur492
Upcoming Events
BSL Open Qualifier
2h 52m
BSL Open Qualifier
2h 52m
OSC
6h 52m
Replay Cast
6h 52m
OSC
19h 52m
WardiTV Weekly
1d 18h
PiGosaur Cup
2 days
Kung Fu Cup
2 days
The PondCast
3 days
Online Event
4 days
[ Show More ]
Korean StarCraft League
5 days
Afreeca Starleague
5 days
Rush vs Soulkey
CranKy Ducklings
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
HCC Season 3
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.