• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 01:14
CEST 07:14
KST 14:14
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
Rollback Netcode in Brood War595.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 202621Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)78
StarCraft 2
General
5.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 2026 [Old] StarCraft 3 Reportedly in Development StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)
Tourneys
$3,500 WardiTV Not-Summer Championship ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event RSL 2026 Offline Finals LCQ Sign-Ups Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) ISSL (IntoTheTV x SOOP SC2 League): Premier
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
Rollback Netcode in Brood War Sagi.gg Launcher Released BGH Auto Balance -> http://bghmmr.eu/ Repalyzer - replay analysis app for StarCraft: Rem Fantasy returning?
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Simple Questions, Simple Answers Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do?
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25!
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
[Manga] One Piece Movie Discussion! Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread TeamLiquid Health and Fitness Initiative For 2023 MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 8283 users

[TV] HBO Game of Thrones - Page 112

Forum Index > Media & Entertainment
Post a Reply
Prev 1 110 111 112 113 114 1836 Next
All book discussion in this thread is now allowed.
Doppelganger
Profile Joined May 2010
488 Posts
May 03 2011 18:03 GMT
#2221
Speaking of ratings: http://insidetv.ew.com/2011/05/03/game-of-thrones-ratings-rise/

bottom line: they are up from 2.2 m (1st and second episode) to 2.4 million viewers in the US on the first airing. (and we had that whole "osama is dead"-event to steal some viewers on the west coast.)
Maginor
Profile Joined May 2010
Norway505 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-05-03 18:27:09
May 03 2011 18:26 GMT
#2222
On May 04 2011 03:03 Doppelganger wrote:
Speaking of ratings: http://insidetv.ew.com/2011/05/03/game-of-thrones-ratings-rise/

bottom line: they are up from 2.2 m (1st and second episode) to 2.4 million viewers in the US on the first airing. (and we had that whole "osama is dead"-event to steal some viewers on the west coast.)


That's awsome. From the same article:
"Meanwhile Thrones premiere episode has climbed up to 8.7 million viewers via all the HBO platforms. Needless to say, this is exactly what HBO was hoping to see."
Quotidian
Profile Joined August 2010
Norway1937 Posts
May 03 2011 18:27 GMT
#2223
On May 04 2011 02:59 StorkHwaiting wrote:
Show nested quote +
On May 04 2011 02:47 Quotidian wrote:
On May 04 2011 02:26 StorkHwaiting wrote:
On May 04 2011 00:39 Quotidian wrote:
On May 04 2011 00:18 StorkHwaiting wrote:
Writers are not the boss when it comes to making TV shows. Sorry to inform you. Just as the boss of a coal mine are not the miners, even if they go on strike and the mine has to close down for a while. Nobody ever said writers aren't an important cog or whatever it is you're trying to argue. What I am saying is that GRRM does not have the final word in how an episode goes. It's a simple concept.


You're not "informing" me of anything, so don't act condescending like that. I have first hand knowledge of the process as a storyboard artist, though the scale of tv production is much smaller here in norway, but it's a team effort nonetheless. No one is saying that GRRM has the final word on anything other than the books, and even there he's probably been working closely with an editor throughout.

The "boss" when it comes to any kind of production like this is usually the person signing the paychecks, and it's rare for people who's job it is to count money to get too involved with the creative process. Unless what creative want to do is too expencive, of course. But writing/producing TV shows is most often a hugely collaborative process - there's very rarely a "boss for the coal mine" dictating the course of things, and consensus is usually what wins out at the end of the day. Another thing to keep in mind is that producers on a tv show like this are very often writers themselves, like Matthew Weiner on Madmen.


You have somehow turned this simple exchange into some nonsense about scribbling on boards and counting money collaboratively.



It takes two to tango, buddy...

You're making it seem like he has zero say in anything with regards to the tv series and that he just has to bend over and take it, which is clearly false considering he's actually participating in writing episodes for the show. So while the story gets compromised, and that's only natural for any kind of adaptation, GRRM is not unable to have his opinion matter. Anyway.. whatever.


Actually, yes, if push came to shove, he would have to bend over and take it. Or are you telling me if HBO disagreed with his opinion he would be able to get his way? Authority and involvement/contribution/advice are not the same thing. Do you really not see the difference?


Of course I see the difference, but you seem to think there are people at HBO who would love nothing more than to force GRRM to make as many painful compromises as possible. I doubt anybody on the production side of things view GRRM as anything other than a resource and an authority on the world they bought the rights to. And no, I've never said GRRM has final say in anything with regards to the show, but being part of the writing staff allows him to influence things much more than if he wasn't involved with the process at all.

I basically don't see why you insist in marginalizing his role in the production, when the fact the he is inolved should do nothing but inspire confidence in the futue of the show.
zalz
Profile Blog Joined February 2011
Netherlands3704 Posts
May 03 2011 18:32 GMT
#2224
First airing views are important for HBO in deciding how many people are sitting on the edge of their seat but it's not crucial for them.

In a regular channel the more people are watching, the more valuable the commerical time becomes, wich is why they need a lot of people to watch the shows on the first go.

HBO does not make it's money off add-revenue so it's not that important to them when people watch it, just that people watch.
StorkHwaiting
Profile Blog Joined October 2009
United States3465 Posts
May 03 2011 18:49 GMT
#2225
On May 04 2011 03:27 Quotidian wrote:
Show nested quote +
On May 04 2011 02:59 StorkHwaiting wrote:
On May 04 2011 02:47 Quotidian wrote:
On May 04 2011 02:26 StorkHwaiting wrote:
On May 04 2011 00:39 Quotidian wrote:
On May 04 2011 00:18 StorkHwaiting wrote:
Writers are not the boss when it comes to making TV shows. Sorry to inform you. Just as the boss of a coal mine are not the miners, even if they go on strike and the mine has to close down for a while. Nobody ever said writers aren't an important cog or whatever it is you're trying to argue. What I am saying is that GRRM does not have the final word in how an episode goes. It's a simple concept.


You're not "informing" me of anything, so don't act condescending like that. I have first hand knowledge of the process as a storyboard artist, though the scale of tv production is much smaller here in norway, but it's a team effort nonetheless. No one is saying that GRRM has the final word on anything other than the books, and even there he's probably been working closely with an editor throughout.

The "boss" when it comes to any kind of production like this is usually the person signing the paychecks, and it's rare for people who's job it is to count money to get too involved with the creative process. Unless what creative want to do is too expencive, of course. But writing/producing TV shows is most often a hugely collaborative process - there's very rarely a "boss for the coal mine" dictating the course of things, and consensus is usually what wins out at the end of the day. Another thing to keep in mind is that producers on a tv show like this are very often writers themselves, like Matthew Weiner on Madmen.


You have somehow turned this simple exchange into some nonsense about scribbling on boards and counting money collaboratively.



It takes two to tango, buddy...

You're making it seem like he has zero say in anything with regards to the tv series and that he just has to bend over and take it, which is clearly false considering he's actually participating in writing episodes for the show. So while the story gets compromised, and that's only natural for any kind of adaptation, GRRM is not unable to have his opinion matter. Anyway.. whatever.


Actually, yes, if push came to shove, he would have to bend over and take it. Or are you telling me if HBO disagreed with his opinion he would be able to get his way? Authority and involvement/contribution/advice are not the same thing. Do you really not see the difference?


Of course I see the difference, but you seem to think there are people at HBO who would love nothing more than to force GRRM to make as many painful compromises as possible. I doubt anybody on the production side of things view GRRM as anything other than a resource and an authority on the world they bought the rights to. And no, I've never said GRRM has final say in anything with regards to the show, but being part of the writing staff allows him to influence things much more than if he wasn't involved with the process at all.

I basically don't see why you insist in marginalizing his role in the production, when the fact the he is inolved should do nothing but inspire confidence in the futue of the show.


At the end of the day, the writer doesn't get the final say in how the show turns out. That's all I've said. There is no marginalization or conspiracy theory about HBO's sinister plot to destroy GoT. Yet, again, I find you trying to put words in my mouth and making dramatic arguments out of nothing. There is no seeming in what I've said. I've said quite explicitly what distinction should be made clear. It's just your crazy paranoia that leads you to "seem" to believe I have all these strange ulterior motives.

Further, you "seem" to fail to understand that you inserted yourself into a dialogue I was having with someone else. Even though I've quoted that person's words in bold to show you what I was responding to and what that person was saying. Yet, here you are prattling on about what you didn't say, when nobody ever said you did. It's kind of delusional.
Quotidian
Profile Joined August 2010
Norway1937 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-05-03 19:28:03
May 03 2011 19:27 GMT
#2226
"crazy paranoia" .. uh, ok. Sensitive, aren't you?

This is what I was reacting to:


"Writers don't get any say in the adaptations lol. It's completely up to the producers/directors."

That just shows you don't understand the process here, especiall since GRRM isn't just the writer of the book, but he's a writer on the show as well - and producers/directors don't make decisions in a vacuum.

I "inserted" myself into a public discussion on a forum, where what you previously had "inserted" yourself into was a continuation of a discussion I was already participating in. So yeah, whatever... If you want to have private conversations with people, send a PM.

Anyway, I'm out until the next episode.
RA
Profile Joined October 2008
Latvia791 Posts
May 03 2011 19:57 GMT
#2227
On May 04 2011 02:37 StorkHwaiting wrote:
Show nested quote +
On May 04 2011 02:31 RA wrote:
Yeah it's quite a hard choice.

With my curiousity I just can't sit and wait for another episode. I just go ahead and read as much as I want.

Yet at the same time I feel like I don't perceive the new episodes the same way I did when I had no idea what GoT and ASoIAF are, before watching episode one.

If you're already ahead - you feel picky about some things. Some things disappoint, others feel rushed, some skipped. It's a tradeoff for sure, but the show is still good and I have little worries about it in season 1.

But since all the books aren't finished or even released (of course every season would take a lot of time to finish and they have 3 more books to adapt) there's certain... uncertainty. And that makes me unsure about the whole idea in a long run. The perspective seems risky.


Look at it from HBO's perspective. They've already got 4 (5th otw) books out. They can easily stretch any one of the books into two seasons worth of content. So that's theoretically maybe 6-7 seasons of content.

Sopranos, one of their most wildly successful shows, had a run of only six seasons. The Wire only had 5. What's the likelihood GoT's will come close to that level of success? If they get even 3-4 seasons of good ratings out of it, then it's a success. They don't need to worry about what to do in the 7th year right now. There's no telling if they'll ever even make it that far, and the way GRRM's novels are, there's more than enough content to string along. One season per book is actually compacting things a ton right now.


You just recited what I said, point being - I know it. And that's my worry, nothing got added.

Btw, please, take your quarrel to private with the other person. I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one skipping all of your both posts by now.
xLethargicax
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
United States469 Posts
May 04 2011 02:37 GMT
#2228
I have NO idea how anyone thought the newest episode (ep 3) was boring. I thought it furthered the plot along farther than any other episode so far and I think it's really setting the field for an amazing, amazing set of upcoming episodes.

Can't wait. I'm going to buy the books and begin reading them as well. As a fantasy reader already, I literally can not figure out how I didn't know about The Game of Thrones.
Grantler
Profile Joined August 2010
United States228 Posts
May 04 2011 05:24 GMT
#2229
This show is amazing, watched the first three last night and NEED MORE!
Kratisto
Profile Joined June 2008
United States199 Posts
May 04 2011 08:43 GMT
#2230
I despised the books (and read all five of them, for some reason) because they were vapid, poorly-written soap operas. As a TV drama, they'll make perfect sense.

User was temp banned for this post.
GGTeMpLaR
Profile Blog Joined June 2009
United States7226 Posts
May 04 2011 08:48 GMT
#2231
I'm glad the ratings are good because I'd really love to see this show go all the way to completion and have a season for every book

and god i cant wait for ep 4
tertos
Profile Joined April 2011
Romania394 Posts
May 04 2011 08:50 GMT
#2232
On May 04 2011 17:43 Kratisto wrote:
I despised the books (and read all five of them, for some reason) because they were vapid, poorly-written soap operas. As a TV drama, they'll make perfect sense.


We thank you for contributing to our thread with insightfull information, educated opinion and constructive criticism.

Please, I beg you sir, spoiler us with more about the fifth book.
We, poor mortals, cannot travel through time to read something that has not been published yet.
I was born this way
DisaFear
Profile Blog Joined September 2010
Australia4074 Posts
May 04 2011 08:52 GMT
#2233
I remember reading the books a few years ago, were pretty good
How devious | http://anartisticanswer.blogspot.com.au/
MaestroSC
Profile Blog Joined August 2009
United States2073 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-05-04 09:06:48
May 04 2011 09:04 GMT
#2234
the saddest part of my week = when The Game of Thrones credit roll at the end.... everytime I am sitting there with my mouth gaping open staring blankly at my screen and then "Next week" "FFFuuuuuu " lol its literally the worst part of this whole thing.. makes me want to try to discipline myself to not watch them until i have 3-4 in a row to watch so i can have 3-4 hours of amazing epicness.... tho i dont ahve the control to not watch it asap =/.

LOL Tertos' post made my rofl.

Maybe that guy works for the publisher and thats how he read book 5?

Or he is just an idiot who thought he was going to show you all how cool he is cause he "read all 5 of these horrible books" because that sentence makes so much sense.

I hate book one... so i shall read the rest of the series.

He is prob just one of those kids who listens to a band and thinks he is cool til he finds some1 else listening to them adn then he says "they suck now that they are famous"
Sablar
Profile Blog Joined December 2010
Sweden880 Posts
May 04 2011 09:07 GMT
#2235
I'm not blown away by everything being new any more and after watching the 3rd episode I'm almost hoping that HBO will change the storyline a bit.

It's not like I think it's bad either but some surprising stuff would be pretty nice.
tertos
Profile Joined April 2011
Romania394 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-05-04 10:16:47
May 04 2011 10:08 GMT
#2236
On May 04 2011 18:04 MaestroSC wrote:
the saddest part of my week = when The Game of Thrones credit roll at the end.... everytime I am sitting there with my mouth gaping open staring blankly at my screen and then "Next week" "FFFuuuuuu " lol its literally the worst part of this whole thing.. makes me want to try to discipline myself to not watch them until i have 3-4 in a row to watch so i can have 3-4 hours of amazing epicness.... tho i dont ahve the control to not watch it asap =/.




Do like I do

Perfect Monday night recipe:

Checklist for 2 persons.

1x 2l Bottle of cola
2x HUGE home made sandwich with dried salami,green onion, letuce, salsa sauce
1x Pack of tortillias
1x Jar of dip cheese
1x box of butter bisquits
1x Special insense herbs delivery tool (to be lit and enjoyed during GoT opening credits)

Mix all the above on a low living room table.
Draw cozy armchairs or couch closer to table.

Download:
Borgia
Game of thrones
Latest funday Monday from Day[9]

Watch exactly in this order.

Enjoy a perfect 3 hour monday night with a friend, or someone loved.

Borgia is a good opener, slower paced than GoT, intrigue, backstabing, medieval feel, less boobies and sex, less explicit blood, but intresting none the less (despite 3.7!?! rating on imdb).
I like it cuse I'm cape and sword, sword and sandals fan.
Than comes Game of Thrones to knock your socks off, with its epicness.
The cherry on top the one and only Day [9] entertains you with his savy speech
.A funny, well structured, show about the game you love to make you forget you have to wait another week until a good night home.


Edit: I'm actualy half asshole by sugesting to download the movies, because I have HBO subscription but i cant watch it when they air it.

I was born this way
vyyye
Profile Joined July 2010
Sweden3917 Posts
May 04 2011 11:03 GMT
#2237
WHAT THE FUCK JUST HAPPENED. I ONLY WATCHED IT FOR TEN MINUTES AND IT ENDED.

Wow, I'm so amazed. This episode was as good, if not better, than the first one. I really love the waterdancer.. or swordsman, what a fanstastic way to portray him.
Littlefinger as the mayor of The Wire seems weird to me though, as I just watched The Wire. But Varys (sp? I listened to the audio books) worked very well.

WhiteDog
Profile Blog Joined November 2010
France8650 Posts
May 04 2011 15:43 GMT
#2238
It was so funny when Ned was strangling the guy and saying "You're a funny man... A very funny man".
I hate the love/sex story around Khal and his little dragon, boring in my opinion.
"every time WhiteDog overuses the word "seriously" in a comment I can make an observation on his fragile emotional state." MoltkeWarding
HansMoleman
Profile Joined April 2010
United States343 Posts
May 04 2011 15:50 GMT
#2239
So after seeing this thread I decided to....'buy' the first episode of the show and I must say, the best part was the tits. It is sad but true. Perhaps it is because I have never even heard of the books the show is based on, but I thought this was a real snoozer. I got to the 45 minute mark when I finally decided to give up on waiting for something to actually happen. I noticed that just about everyone who posted had something good to say about the show, but I just don't see it, but I'm willing to give Ep. 2 a whirl. Does it get a little more exciting, or will it put an insomniac to sleep like Ep. 1?
"Knowledge is what remains after one has forgotten what one has learn from schooling" -Albert Einstien
Sm3agol
Profile Blog Joined September 2010
United States2055 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-05-04 15:53:38
May 04 2011 15:53 GMT
#2240
On May 05 2011 00:50 HansMoleman wrote:
So after seeing this thread I decided to....'buy' the first episode of the show and I must say, the best part was the tits. It is sad but true. Perhaps it is because I have never even heard of the books the show is based on, but I thought this was a real snoozer. I got to the 45 minute mark when I finally decided to give up on waiting for something to actually happen. I noticed that just about everyone who posted had something good to say about the show, but I just don't see it, but I'm willing to give Ep. 2 a whirl. Does it get a little more exciting, or will it put an insomniac to sleep like Ep. 1?

Don't think of the episodes as a complete story....think of it as a complete story being shown an hour at a time. The action should start to get hot and furious next episode, with 5 and 6 being just ridiculous. it would be like reading the first 50 pages of a thousand page book, and then saying its trash because it was boring and you couldn't get into it.
Prev 1 110 111 112 113 114 1836 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 4h 46m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
FoxeR 76
StarCraft: Brood War
Rain 4495
Leta 1567
Bale 59
Shine 32
ZergMaN 10
Icarus 8
Dota 2
NeuroSwarm264
League of Legends
JimRising 642
Other Games
summit1g8104
WinterStarcraft578
Sick122
Mew2King35
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick507
BasetradeTV189
[ Show 14 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• davetesta27
• Letter1415
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• lizZardDota2118
League of Legends
• Lourlo856
• Rush616
Other Games
• Shiphtur343
Upcoming Events
Sparkling Tuna Cup
4h 46m
Patches Events
9h 46m
BSL Open Qualifier
13h 46m
BSL Open Qualifier
13h 46m
OSC
17h 46m
OSC
1d 6h
WardiTV Weekly
2 days
PiGosaur Cup
2 days
The PondCast
4 days
Online Event
5 days
[ Show More ]
Korean StarCraft League
5 days
Afreeca Starleague
6 days
Rush vs Soulkey
CranKy Ducklings
6 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
HCC Season 3
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.