• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 23:58
CEST 05:58
KST 12:58
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
5.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 202611Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)78Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2
StarCraft 2
General
5.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 2026 [Old] StarCraft 3 Reportedly in Development StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) ISSL (IntoTheTV x SOOP SC2 League): Premier Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond)
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
Sagi.gg Launcher Released Fantasy returning? BGH Auto Balance -> http://bghmmr.eu/ BW General Discussion GG Lan Fest Sofia, Bulgaria [this November]
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Simple Questions, Simple Answers Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do?
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Canadian Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Artificial Intelligence Thread US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
[Manga] One Piece Movie Discussion! Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 8145 users

[TV] HBO Game of Thrones - Page 100

Forum Index > Media & Entertainment
Post a Reply
Prev 1 98 99 100 101 102 1836 Next
All book discussion in this thread is now allowed.
ZessiM
Profile Joined April 2011
United Kingdom232 Posts
April 30 2011 23:21 GMT
#1981
On May 01 2011 08:10 Blisse wrote:
I really hoped that Cersei would look better, and more like Jaime, since they're supposed to be twins and all. But I guess that's really hard to do, someone who can act and look good and look like someone else and fit the role.

I don't think it said in the book that they were identical twins though. They look twinnish enough for me she's pretty hawt too
ZapRoffo
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
United States5544 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-04-30 23:28:28
April 30 2011 23:25 GMT
#1982
On May 01 2011 08:21 ZessiM wrote:
Show nested quote +
On May 01 2011 08:10 Blisse wrote:
I really hoped that Cersei would look better, and more like Jaime, since they're supposed to be twins and all. But I guess that's really hard to do, someone who can act and look good and look like someone else and fit the role.

I don't think it said in the book that they were identical twins though. They look twinnish enough for me she's pretty hawt too

It's impossible for identical twins to be opposite sex.

My criticism thus far: I wish they would slow down the plot pacing just a little and go into a bit more detail into the characters lives. That luxury is there with a TV series, I feel like they feel like they have to go through material and plot events at a certain rate, but why do they? It feels like a mini-series so far.

Maybe once things get established we can get to know people more though?
Yeah, well, you know, that's just like, your opinion man
11cc
Profile Joined May 2008
Finland561 Posts
April 30 2011 23:45 GMT
#1983
On May 01 2011 08:25 ZapRoffo wrote:
Show nested quote +
On May 01 2011 08:21 ZessiM wrote:
On May 01 2011 08:10 Blisse wrote:
I really hoped that Cersei would look better, and more like Jaime, since they're supposed to be twins and all. But I guess that's really hard to do, someone who can act and look good and look like someone else and fit the role.

I don't think it said in the book that they were identical twins though. They look twinnish enough for me she's pretty hawt too

It's impossible for identical twins to be opposite sex.

My criticism thus far: I wish they would slow down the plot pacing just a little and go into a bit more detail into the characters lives. That luxury is there with a TV series, I feel like they feel like they have to go through material and plot events at a certain rate, but why do they? It feels like a mini-series so far.

Maybe once things get established we can get to know people more though?


The 1st season of true blood was 12 episodes long, based on a 300-page long book. But then of course, the number of pages don't tell everything.
ZapRoffo
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
United States5544 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-05-01 00:15:51
May 01 2011 00:09 GMT
#1984
On May 01 2011 08:45 11cc wrote:
Show nested quote +
On May 01 2011 08:25 ZapRoffo wrote:
On May 01 2011 08:21 ZessiM wrote:
On May 01 2011 08:10 Blisse wrote:
I really hoped that Cersei would look better, and more like Jaime, since they're supposed to be twins and all. But I guess that's really hard to do, someone who can act and look good and look like someone else and fit the role.

I don't think it said in the book that they were identical twins though. They look twinnish enough for me she's pretty hawt too

It's impossible for identical twins to be opposite sex.

My criticism thus far: I wish they would slow down the plot pacing just a little and go into a bit more detail into the characters lives. That luxury is there with a TV series, I feel like they feel like they have to go through material and plot events at a certain rate, but why do they? It feels like a mini-series so far.

Maybe once things get established we can get to know people more though?


The 1st season of true blood was 12 episodes long, based on a 300-page long book. But then of course, the number of pages don't tell everything.


Yeah, and this will probably be similar length but based on 700 page book I expect. And I enjoyed the first season of True Blood more than this so far. You get to know the characters more closely--it covers less stuff happening and has more time where you are just like, seeing the characters in "typical" situations (not that stuff isn't happening but it's more subtle and not jammed in).

Dexter season 1 was based on a shorter book even than True Blood I think, but same length show, and it was so rich and well-paced. I feel like this is missing a bit in Game of Thrones.

Compressing it too much makes you lose out on great detail, which I feel like is the main huge strength of the HBO type shows or Dexter.
Yeah, well, you know, that's just like, your opinion man
platorepublic
Profile Blog Joined April 2011
United Kingdom344 Posts
May 01 2011 00:11 GMT
#1985
I'm from the UK, and I really want to watch this show!
Even though I've never met you, I still miss you.
phfantunes
Profile Joined April 2010
Brazil170 Posts
May 01 2011 01:34 GMT
#1986
Oh god don't bring the Dexter books up. Those are the worst piece of garbage ever printed and the show is, surprinsingly, the best one ever.

Back on topic, I'm really enjoying this series, will probably pick the books up.
TheGreatWhiteHope_
Profile Blog Joined August 2010
United States335 Posts
May 01 2011 02:46 GMT
#1987
Has anyone said this in regards to the thread title?

It's not TV, it's HBO.
ZapRoffo
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
United States5544 Posts
May 01 2011 02:50 GMT
#1988
On May 01 2011 10:34 phfantunes wrote:
Oh god don't bring the Dexter books up. Those are the worst piece of garbage ever printed and the show is, surprinsingly, the best one ever.

Back on topic, I'm really enjoying this series, will probably pick the books up.

I haven't read it (or any of the books mentioned including The Game of Thrones), but it's not surprising to me that that could happen. What they are about/what happens is not where the quality of fiction comes from, it's all in the telling; if the TV creators know how to bring a story to life, it will be good no matter what the source.

I was just using it as a comparison for how having less density of plot advancing events drawn from the source (vs. getting to know characters stuff with plot events more tied in to this) can be really good and well suited to the TV medium, and I feel like it's something that could be improved in this show. Everything is an "event" so far, the characters feel there just to have people for stuff to happen with, instead of being there for us to get to know them deeply, or for them to challenge us and then care greatly or be torn about how to react when things do happen to them.
Yeah, well, you know, that's just like, your opinion man
karazax
Profile Joined May 2010
United States3737 Posts
May 01 2011 04:45 GMT
#1989
From what I have read from critics who have seen the first 6 episodes, the later episodes do go more in depth, which is why many said #5 and 6 were their favorites. No more major characters to introduce by then. As far as I can recall Theon still hasn't been officially named or identified yet on screen, and the next episode is going to introduce a bunch of new characters from the wall and king's landing. It would be ideal if they had 12 episodes and could slow down a bit, but then again some people think "nothing has happened" even with this fast pace.
Maginor
Profile Joined May 2010
Norway505 Posts
May 01 2011 10:15 GMT
#1990
The show is incredibly expensive, though. I understand why they wouldn't want to risk a longer first season. I really hope they get more episodes for seasons two and three, as those books are significantly longer and more complex.
Horst
Profile Joined November 2010
338 Posts
May 01 2011 10:22 GMT
#1991
On May 01 2011 10:34 phfantunes wrote:
Oh god don't bring the Dexter books up. Those are the worst piece of garbage ever printed and the show is, surprinsingly, the best one ever.

Back on topic, I'm really enjoying this series, will probably pick the books up.


The first and second dexter books were quite good; the rest are trash.

I saw the first two episodes of game of thrones, and am already halfway through a clash of kings about a week later... (I read a lot at work)...

I noticed that the first episode of game of thrones covered the first 10% of the book, the second episode covered almost exactly the second 10% of the book... (with a kindle, it tells you how far you are into the book).

It seems like they will probably keep that pace up, 10% per episode. makes sense, in a way.
Odoakar
Profile Joined May 2010
Croatia1838 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-05-01 10:54:34
May 01 2011 10:46 GMT
#1992
I'm enjoying the show so far, but I have some objections on casting, especially of Robert and Renly Baratheon. Mark Addy does a great job as Robert, but I feel him missing the Baratheon's black, thick hair should be an issue, especially when Renly is also not remotely similar to how he was described in books.

Major spoiler, don't read if you didn't read the books:
+ Show Spoiler +
This is important for the plot as Robert and Renly, in books, both have long black mane, black beards, a very distinctive look. It was mentioned more than once that Renly looks almost exactly like Robert when he was younger. These characteristics are dominant and are passed onto their children so every child of Robert has this unique look. But at least they were sensible enough not to cast Gendry with black hair, so it might not be an issue, but I always imagined Baratheons looking very differently than in the show.


Renly, "Some say he’s the handsomest man in the Seven Kingdoms, and others say he looks almost like Robert’s twin when Robert warred against the Targaryens. Tall, broad-shouldered, with fine black hair and startling blue-green eyes, Renly is all a lord should be."
[image loading]


How I imagined him:
[image loading]

And how I actually imagined Eddard and Robert, from their younger days:
+ Show Spoiler +
[image loading]
Maginor
Profile Joined May 2010
Norway505 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-05-01 11:21:24
May 01 2011 11:20 GMT
#1993
Why is Robert wielding a mace and not a warhammer in that picture?

I agree that they have diverged a lot in the looks for several of the characters. For instance, the actor and actress for Jon and Arya do look very Stark-ish, but Sean Bean does not, so the point in the books that Arya and Jon look more like their father than the other children is no longer apparent. On the other hand, the looks described in the book are very stylized and may not work that well visually or may seem clichéd. And there is the problem of finding good actors that fit the role and have the right look. I don't know how viable it is to use hair coloring or wigs for the entire main cast in a tv-series like that. So long as they are consistent, it is not that much of a problem.
Ajunoo
Profile Joined June 2010
Germany147 Posts
May 01 2011 11:38 GMT
#1994
actually I didn't like Jon all that much, I imagined him..less like a pretty boy somehow. But overall I think they did a great job on casting. But Renly does look...well he should be more of a pretty boy ^^
Skilledblob
Profile Joined April 2011
Germany3392 Posts
May 01 2011 11:44 GMT
#1995
this show is about characters and not about their hair color
SF-Fork
Profile Blog Joined November 2002
Russian Federation1401 Posts
May 01 2011 12:23 GMT
#1996
On May 01 2011 20:20 Maginor wrote:
Why is Robert wielding a mace and not a warhammer in that picture?

I agree that they have diverged a lot in the looks for several of the characters. For instance, the actor and actress for Jon and Arya do look very Stark-ish, but Sean Bean does not, so the point in the books that Arya and Jon look more like their father than the other children is no longer apparent. On the other hand, the looks described in the book are very stylized and may not work that well visually or may seem clichéd. And there is the problem of finding good actors that fit the role and have the right look. I don't know how viable it is to use hair coloring or wigs for the entire main cast in a tv-series like that. So long as they are consistent, it is not that much of a problem.


didn't they dye Vigo Mortensen's hair for LoTR?
Doppelganger
Profile Joined May 2010
488 Posts
May 01 2011 12:31 GMT
#1997
On May 01 2011 20:44 Skilledblob wrote:
this show is about characters and not about their hair color


True. But here are a bunch of fanboys who have very specific expectations. It is always hard to put those aside and enjoy something for what it is and not lamenting about what it ought to be.
HowardRoark
Profile Blog Joined February 2010
1146 Posts
May 01 2011 13:30 GMT
#1998
Is someone going to stream it live tonight? That would be awesome.
"It is really good to get the double observatory if you want to get the speed and sight range for the observer simultaneously. It's a little bit of an advanced tactic, and by advanced, I mean really fucking bad."
Sevryn
Profile Joined September 2010
698 Posts
May 01 2011 15:31 GMT
#1999
On May 01 2011 20:44 Skilledblob wrote:
this show is about characters and not about their hair color

first book spoiler+ Show Spoiler +
Part of the plot involves hair colof
Zeroes
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
United States1102 Posts
May 01 2011 15:34 GMT
#2000
On May 01 2011 20:44 Skilledblob wrote:
this show is about characters and not about their hair color


It would be hard to tell who is from what family since there are so many characters
Check out my SC Lan pics Here: http://picasaweb.google.com/bunk.habit
Prev 1 98 99 100 101 102 1836 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Replay Cast
08:00
QMC Community Tournament 1
Liquipedia
OSC
07:15
Masters Cup #151 Group C
Liquipedia
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
RuFF_SC2 190
ProTech150
FoxeR 48
StarCraft: Brood War
Rain 2733
Shuttle 1201
Dewaltoss 80
Noble 9
Dota 2
NeuroSwarm203
Counter-Strike
taco 386
Super Smash Bros
hungrybox657
Other Games
summit1g7903
WinterStarcraft511
C9.Mang0307
ViBE133
[ Show 14 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• practicex 22
• StrangeGG 20
• Letter147
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
League of Legends
• Lourlo755
• Stunt267
Other Games
• Shiphtur433
Upcoming Events
OSC
19h 2m
Big Brain Bouts
1d 6h
Rex vs INexorable
GgMaChine vs HeRoMaRinE
Reynor vs herO
AI Arena Tournament
1d 13h
BSL: Ladder Tournament
1d 15h
Sparkling Tuna Cup
2 days
Patches Events
2 days
BSL Open Qualifier
2 days
BSL Open Qualifier
2 days
WardiTV Weekly
4 days
PiGosaur Cup
4 days
[ Show More ]
The PondCast
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
HCC Season 3
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.