• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 20:34
CEST 02:34
KST 09:34
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)73Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2317
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Back to SC2 after 14 years - Protoss CTRL groups? October World Ranking: herO stays #1, ByuN returns
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ]
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
Sagi.gg Launcher Released Fantasy returning? BSL Season 23 20-year-old Valorant player starting StarCraft Bot on ladder
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 2v2v2v2 Tournament
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Russo-Ukrainian War Thread US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Canadian Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 9074 users

Hip Hop / Rap Music Discussion - Page 49

Forum Index > Media & Entertainment
Post a Reply
Prev 1 47 48 49 50 51 68 Next
farvacola
Profile Blog Joined January 2011
United States18869 Posts
December 02 2013 21:05 GMT
#961
On November 22 2013 08:30 crms wrote:
Ok so I'm a huge metalhead but sometimes when I'm 'less than sober' I like to relive my teenage years and listen to some guilty pleasures of my youth such as Master P, Silkk the Shocker, C-Murder and all the other waves of Southern (not sure of style) rap.

Is there anything similar to that style that's out today for when I'm feeling especially dirty?

Sorry, pls don't make fun, I know it's bad stuff but it's a guilty pleasure at certain times.

I am a bad southern rap afficionado, so it pains to me say that there really aren't many contemporary acts that are in the vein of Pimp C, Triple Six, or Cash Money Records. I'll bet there are plenty of 2000 something songs that you haven't heard though, so why don't you post your favorite song in the genre and I'll see what I can whip up
"when the Dead Kennedys found out they had skinhead fans, they literally wrote a song titled 'Nazi Punks Fuck Off'"
MCDayC
Profile Joined March 2011
United Kingdom14464 Posts
December 03 2013 03:50 GMT
#962
Because the Internet by Childish Gambino leaked, man its a strange album, i dunno what to think based on first listen.
VERY FRAGILE, LIKE A BABY PANDA EGG
GranDGranT
Profile Joined April 2011
Sri Lanka2141 Posts
December 03 2013 06:57 GMT
#963
On December 03 2013 06:05 farvacola wrote:
Show nested quote +
On November 22 2013 08:30 crms wrote:
Ok so I'm a huge metalhead but sometimes when I'm 'less than sober' I like to relive my teenage years and listen to some guilty pleasures of my youth such as Master P, Silkk the Shocker, C-Murder and all the other waves of Southern (not sure of style) rap.

Is there anything similar to that style that's out today for when I'm feeling especially dirty?

Sorry, pls don't make fun, I know it's bad stuff but it's a guilty pleasure at certain times.

I am a bad southern rap afficionado, so it pains to me say that there really aren't many contemporary acts that are in the vein of Pimp C, Triple Six, or Cash Money Records. I'll bet there are plenty of 2000 something songs that you haven't heard though, so why don't you post your favorite song in the genre and I'll see what I can whip up


Bun B still makes plenty of good southern music, same with Big KRIT (probably the only person who still has an older sound.) I didnt see you mention 8ball and MJG, and their albums can be pretty fucking dirty. Older Bubba Sparxxx can be awesome for a day of just wanting to jam out. But yeah to be fair the only real southern artist i still like is Chamillionaire, hes mixtapes have been really nice but not the same as Pimp C / old Cash money
All Dota 2 casters are bad at their job
JonGalt
Profile Joined February 2013
Pootie too good!4331 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-12-03 07:08:27
December 03 2013 07:05 GMT
#964
On December 03 2013 12:50 MCDayC wrote:
Because the Internet by Childish Gambino leaked, man its a strange album, i dunno what to think based on first listen.


I WANT THIS ALBUM SO BADLY

sigh, third world problems.


edit: more constructively I'd like to hear people's thoughts on the album, and how it compares to his other albums - camp and culdesac.
LiquidLegends StaffWho is Jon Galt?
MCDayC
Profile Joined March 2011
United Kingdom14464 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-12-03 14:59:29
December 03 2013 14:58 GMT
#965
first impressions, based on 1 listen last night and listening again now:

its all over the place. very chaotic, production variety, flow changes, random interruptions, beat switches, topic flips, etc

there is a pretty damn distinct frank ocean vibe all over this record, sonically and lyrically (unfortunately in a kinda bad way in terms of lyrics), both Nostalgia Ultra and Channel Orange, there's a kind of poppy industrial vibe on some tracks, sort of like Yeezus (again both sonically and lyrically) but more accessible, more little wayne-esque punchlines and word association.

Rapping wise he's pretty fantastic, can get really fast and sounds very nimble on tracks, though the aforementioned schizophrenia kinda hampers this, every time a flow builds up steam he cuts himself off.

I generally like the production, which is about the only solid thing I can say about the album positive or negative, Gambino's still just a frustrating rapper to listen to rap, his writing never quite seems to be up to par. The album's definitely worth a listen or 3 though, just to see whats going on.

also gambino seems to be playing a character on some of the tracks, and i'm sure the script thats supposed to be attached will shed more light on this, i dunno if its gonna add to the album or not though.
VERY FRAGILE, LIKE A BABY PANDA EGG
TimENT
Profile Joined November 2012
United States1425 Posts
December 04 2013 17:19 GMT
#966
Because The Internet is like a combination of Nostalgia Ultra, Channel Orange, So Far Gone, and Yeezus...and it works. Loved it.


I'd say Yeezus is the best rap/hip-hop/whatever you want to call it album of the year
Barcelona / Arsenal Fan!
Schelim
Profile Blog Joined January 2011
Austria11528 Posts
December 04 2013 18:31 GMT
#967
i'd say it's the worst. that album was made to be polarizing so anything that's heavily inspired by it will probably end up with a similar split in opinions.
TY <3 Cure <3 Inno <3 Special <3
Juliette
Profile Blog Joined September 2010
United States6003 Posts
December 04 2013 19:54 GMT
#968
The factthat we can argue if its good or bad makes it great in my book

Also half the songs were recorded in under an hour. Which expland the shit quality of a lot of the verses

But musically i loved it. This is my favorite read about it

http://thetalkhouse.com/reviews/view/lou-reed
OKAY FROM THAT PERSPECTIVE I SEE WHAT YOU'RE TALKING ABOUT
SafeWord
Profile Joined February 2010
United States522 Posts
December 05 2013 06:41 GMT
#969
Because the Internet is great. I have to agree with the fact that when he gets going that's when the song ends. I like it waaay better than CAMP, I wasn't that big of a fan of all the songs on CAMP. So far all the songs on BTI are great. I for one like the chaotic and constant change on the album, its like he did what kid cudi tried to do on his 2nd and 3rd album.

Still picking up this album in stores can't wait. Childish Gambino has risen to being one of my favorite artist.
Who needs players when you have God?
DystopiaX
Profile Joined October 2010
United States16236 Posts
December 05 2013 18:07 GMT
#970
It's better than camp but it's not amazing to me. The internet seems to be very divided between either calling it the album of the year or saying it's trash. I think it's neither, there are a couple great tracks, a couple terrible tracks, a lot of average tracks. Shares the problem I have with Eminem in that a lot of his lines are way too cheesy for me-talking about having no patience/patients cause he's not a doctor, why are you lying/lion/why are you mufasa is just dumb as hell.
WarSame
Profile Blog Joined February 2010
Canada1950 Posts
December 05 2013 22:04 GMT
#971
Can someone please provide me with some great instrumental hip hop? Nujabes, Wax Tailor, Emancipator are good examples. ATCQP and J5 are pretty good, but I'm looking for more instrumental focused stuff. Thank you!
Can it be I stayed away too long? Did you miss these rhymes while I was gone?
Skullflower
Profile Joined July 2010
United States3779 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-12-06 00:31:16
December 06 2013 00:13 GMT
#972
Blue Sky Black Death, Flying Lotus, J Dilla, RJD2, Pete Rock, Madlib, Blockhead
The ruminations are mine, let the world be yours.
WarSame
Profile Blog Joined February 2010
Canada1950 Posts
December 06 2013 02:11 GMT
#973
On December 06 2013 09:13 Skullflower wrote:
Blue Sky Black Death, Flying Lotus, J Dilla, RJD2, Pete Rock, Madlib, Blockhead

Thank you. I've been listening to JD, RJD2, Pete Rock and Madlib, but I'll give the others a spin.
Can it be I stayed away too long? Did you miss these rhymes while I was gone?
Skullflower
Profile Joined July 2010
United States3779 Posts
December 06 2013 02:52 GMT
#974
Here's a few more: Peanut Butter Wolf, Amp Live, Clams Casino, Apollo Brown, Sa-Ra, Oddisee, Ayatollah. This is like literally 95% of the stuff my dad listens to
The ruminations are mine, let the world be yours.
JonGalt
Profile Joined February 2013
Pootie too good!4331 Posts
December 06 2013 10:23 GMT
#975
gambino tweeted a bunch and I found these to be the most interesting:

SKATEBOARD KID: nah man. he trollin
you. he’s tryin to troll everyone.
myles said he cut off the end of the
album to try to troll niggas

ARIZONA KID: no he didnt. i heard it.
it wasnt cut off. SKATEBOARD KID:
myles said the last track just cuts
out.

ARIZONA KID: Maybe he made two
versions and leaked one version and
gave his record company the other.
SKATEBOARD KID: who. cares.
LiquidLegends StaffWho is Jon Galt?
MassHysteria
Profile Joined October 2010
United States3678 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-12-06 22:01:02
December 06 2013 16:27 GMT
#976
On December 06 2013 11:11 WarSame wrote:
Show nested quote +
On December 06 2013 09:13 Skullflower wrote:
Blue Sky Black Death, Flying Lotus, J Dilla, RJD2, Pete Rock, Madlib, Blockhead

Thank you. I've been listening to JD, RJD2, Pete Rock and Madlib, but I'll give the others a spin.

I was going to add Pete Rock and RJD2 but am going to always suggest PUTS and any of their first 3 albums from 1998-2002. 'The Next Step', 'Question in the form of an Answer', or 'O.S.T.'. They are pretty raw/young on 'The Next Step' (which some people like) but have refined their skills a bit more(and sound older) in 'Question..' . Their best album in their discography might be 'O.S.T.' ,by majority opinion(I couldn't really get into their later albums), but those 3 are up there for me . Either of those is a good one to start with though or even in order.

Just for pure instrumentals, I would say maybe try any of the Mushroom Jazz Albums also. Maybe start with 5 or 1 (though 1 has more house influence in it). Though if you like hip-hop instrumentals it, for the most part, means you probably like jazz =). These all have jazz influence ofc but still hip-hop ish, but I would say 5... 4 or 6 wouldn't be bad to start with either.


EDIT: I almost missed an opportunity to link a song/instrumental that's on both 'O.S.T.' and MJ4, Suite for Beaver pt1.
+ Show Spoiler +
"Just ban all the J's...even jinklejoes" --unnamed source
ZapRoffo
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
United States5544 Posts
December 07 2013 05:13 GMT
#977
Some recent discoveries for me:

This unofficial thing is like the coolest music video I've ever seen.
+ Show Spoiler +


If you listen to just the end of Food & Liquor II, like starting at Form Follows Function and including Go To Sleep, it's actually a pretty good listen for a certain mood.
Yeah, well, you know, that's just like, your opinion man
epok
Profile Joined September 2013
United States117 Posts
December 09 2013 17:51 GMT
#978
On December 06 2013 19:23 JonGalt wrote:
gambino tweeted a bunch and I found these to be the most interesting:

SKATEBOARD KID: nah man. he trollin
you. he’s tryin to troll everyone.
myles said he cut off the end of the
album to try to troll niggas

ARIZONA KID: no he didnt. i heard it.
it wasnt cut off. SKATEBOARD KID:
myles said the last track just cuts
out.

ARIZONA KID: Maybe he made two
versions and leaked one version and
gave his record company the other.
SKATEBOARD KID: who. cares.


I saw this somewhere else, it's a really insane concept. What if Gambino leaked one version of the album and sent the other version to his label? We'll have to find out tomorrow.
MCDayC
Profile Joined March 2011
United Kingdom14464 Posts
December 10 2013 00:03 GMT
#979
I'm pretty sure thats just to address the speculation, the non cut off version has already been released, the first leak was apparently just badly ripped and it took a while before the proper one got spread.
VERY FRAGILE, LIKE A BABY PANDA EGG
andyrau
Profile Joined December 2010
13015 Posts
December 10 2013 17:16 GMT
#980
Listened to half of BTI this morning during my drive to work

I can see why people say it's schizo. He spends his first two tracks masquerading as a smarter 2chainz, then becomes wale, then mixes in a bar or two of Kendrick's flow.

It's really fragmented, I'm not quite sure what to think about it.
Actually, I know what I think - it's awful and pretty cool at the same time, but I'll reserve judgement until I finish listening to it on repeat several times.

So far I like Camp better, even if this album is far more polished. It was just much more approachable.
"Zai is legitimately not as good as bulba." | kaipi ti3 champions
Prev 1 47 48 49 50 51 68 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Replay Cast
08:00
QMC Community Tournament 1
CranKy Ducklings59
Liquipedia
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
Nathanias 132
SpeCial 121
CosmosSc2 45
StarCraft: Brood War
GuemChi 1618
Rain 1593
Artosis 667
910 60
Bale 14
Dota 2
NeuroSwarm130
League of Legends
Doublelift3210
Super Smash Bros
hungrybox250
Other Games
summit1g8873
shahzam569
JimRising 441
C9.Mang0340
PiGStarcraft306
Maynarde131
Liquid`Ken6
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick898
BasetradeTV170
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream32
[ Show 12 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Hupsaiya 103
• CranKy Ducklings SOOP70
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Other Games
• imaqtpie812
• Shiphtur191
Upcoming Events
Afreeca Starleague
9h 26m
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
10h 26m
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
23h 26m
Patches Events
1d 15h
The PondCast
2 days
INu's Battles
2 days
Percival vs TBD
TBD vs herO
OSC
2 days
Replay Cast
2 days
OSC
3 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
4 days
[ Show More ]
Sparkling Tuna Cup
5 days
Patches Events
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
HCC Season 3
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.