• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 11:07
CEST 17:07
KST 00:07
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double1Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon104
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double Balance hotfix patch 5.0.16b (July 16) How do you feel about the StarCraft shooter announcement at BlizzCon 2026? Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple
Tourneys
2026 GSTL Grand Finals ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament Master Swan Open (Global Bronze-Master 2) Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20)
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
Bot on ladder [ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach PLAYzone Challenge - open offline tour in Prague an AI researcher's take on the ladder bot BGH Auto Balance -> http://bghmmr.eu/
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 1
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero Nintendo Switch Thread EVE Corporation
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread All you football fans (soccer)!
Fan Clubs
MarineLorD Fan Club The Creator Fan Club The ShoWTimE Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
Violent-Cooperative Play and…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 7962 users

Simple Questions, Simple Answers - Page 47

Forum Index > Dota 2 Strategy
Post a Reply
Prev 1 45 46 47 48 49 1254 Next
TheYango
Profile Joined September 2008
United States47024 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-12-10 03:37:56
December 10 2011 03:37 GMT
#921
Bottle just isn't useful between 0 and 2 minutes. Getting Bottle at like 1:30 when you've depleted some of your HP and mana, topping yourself off, and then going to look for the rune at 2 mins fine. But the thing is, what is your Bottle doing for you in that first 1:30? Nothing. Certainly nothing that a set of tangoes/a salve doesn't do for you. There's basically no difference between having Bottle at 0:00 and having it at 1:30 (in time for 2nd rune), except that getting it at 0:00 screws you out of being able to get 4 branches and more flexible regen items for no gain.
Moderator
Fruscainte
Profile Blog Joined December 2009
4596 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-12-10 04:25:19
December 10 2011 04:24 GMT
#922
Yeah, that makes a lot of sense. Thanks yo.

Also, Vanguard -- I know it's a rather vague question, but any AGI/INT heroes where it's almost absolutely necessary to grab Vanguard on, for future reference? The reason I ask is, I get Health Ring on pretty much every Hero these days, and it builds into that, and gives pretty damn good survivability. So yeah.
Sina92
Profile Joined January 2011
Sweden1303 Posts
December 10 2011 05:05 GMT
#923
On December 10 2011 13:24 Fruscainte wrote:
Yeah, that makes a lot of sense. Thanks yo.

Also, Vanguard -- I know it's a rather vague question, but any AGI/INT heroes where it's almost absolutely necessary to grab Vanguard on, for future reference? The reason I ask is, I get Health Ring on pretty much every Hero these days, and it builds into that, and gives pretty damn good survivability. So yeah.


dark seer, viper, razor, antimage, necrolyte, spectre and death prophet
My penis is 15 inches long, I'm a Harvard professor and look better than Brad Pitt and Jake Gyllenhaal combined.
Theoren
Profile Joined October 2010
Canada810 Posts
December 10 2011 05:30 GMT
#924
On December 10 2011 14:05 Sina92 wrote:
Show nested quote +
On December 10 2011 13:24 Fruscainte wrote:
Yeah, that makes a lot of sense. Thanks yo.

Also, Vanguard -- I know it's a rather vague question, but any AGI/INT heroes where it's almost absolutely necessary to grab Vanguard on, for future reference? The reason I ask is, I get Health Ring on pretty much every Hero these days, and it builds into that, and gives pretty damn good survivability. So yeah.


dark seer, viper, razor, antimage, necrolyte, spectre and death prophet


I'd add Weaver to this list.
TheYango
Profile Joined September 2008
United States47024 Posts
December 10 2011 05:33 GMT
#925
On December 10 2011 14:30 Theoren wrote:
Show nested quote +
On December 10 2011 14:05 Sina92 wrote:
On December 10 2011 13:24 Fruscainte wrote:
Yeah, that makes a lot of sense. Thanks yo.

Also, Vanguard -- I know it's a rather vague question, but any AGI/INT heroes where it's almost absolutely necessary to grab Vanguard on, for future reference? The reason I ask is, I get Health Ring on pretty much every Hero these days, and it builds into that, and gives pretty damn good survivability. So yeah.


dark seer, viper, razor, antimage, necrolyte, spectre and death prophet


I'd add Weaver to this list.

If we're being picky, veno should be on there as well.
Moderator
FinestHour
Profile Joined August 2010
United States18466 Posts
December 10 2011 06:00 GMT
#926
Now the question you should have asked was, what hero is vanguard not good on.
thug life.                                                       MVP/ex-
semantics
Profile Blog Joined November 2009
10040 Posts
December 10 2011 09:38 GMT
#927
On December 10 2011 15:00 FinestHour wrote:
Now the question you should have asked was, what hero is vanguard not good on.

Man you must be following that old guide
flamewheel
Profile Blog Joined December 2009
FREEAGLELAND26782 Posts
December 10 2011 09:55 GMT
#928
On December 10 2011 15:00 FinestHour wrote:
Now the question you should have asked was, what hero is vanguard not good on.

Truth. As 2009 says, "Vanguard has the highest performance-to-cost ratio."

Three other heroes that utilize vanguard well are Naga Siren, Phantom Lancer, and Ursa Warrior.
Writerdamn, i was two days from retirement
Qbek
Profile Blog Joined April 2011
Poland12923 Posts
December 10 2011 10:45 GMT
#929
On December 10 2011 18:55 flamewheel wrote:
Show nested quote +
On December 10 2011 15:00 FinestHour wrote:
Now the question you should have asked was, what hero is vanguard not good on.

Truth. As 2009 says, "Vanguard has the highest performance-to-cost ratio."

Three other heroes that utilize vanguard well are Naga Siren, Phantom Lancer, and Ursa Warrior.

I remember a pub where we were getting quite a stomping but i still managed to solo a Drow Ranger with like 4 times the farm as spectre with just PT and Vanguard, i was level 14 so the desolate + dispersion did quite a damage.

Lanaya pwns with vanguard&PT too. Basicaly any hero that needs to stay close to the enemy but has rather low hp can benefit a great deal from vanguard.
This space left intentionally dank /)3(\ http://i.imgur.com/RmeEUcF.png
Numy
Profile Blog Joined June 2010
South Africa35471 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-12-10 11:28:07
December 10 2011 11:26 GMT
#930
On December 10 2011 15:00 FinestHour wrote:
Now the question you should have asked was, what hero is vanguard not good on.


If you need to survive longer a vanguard is good. Vanguard is basically an item that will always be good for that role. The question is not what hero a vanguard is not good on, merely when do I not need that over another item. Vanguard is just good. If you a lion that's dying before you can have an impact in every single fight then hell you can get a vanguard on him. I remember there was a time when every hero on a team went vanguard.
Yurie
Profile Blog Joined August 2010
12173 Posts
December 10 2011 11:30 GMT
#931
On December 10 2011 20:26 Numy wrote:
Show nested quote +
On December 10 2011 15:00 FinestHour wrote:
Now the question you should have asked was, what hero is vanguard not good on.


If you need to survive longer a vanguard is good. Vanguard is basically an item that will always be good for that role. The question is not what hero a vanguard is not good on, merely when do I not need that over another item. Vanguard is just good. If you a lion that's dying before you can have an impact in every single fight then hell you can get a vanguard on him. I remember there was a time when every hero on a team went vanguard.


That probably was before the nerf to ranged heroes vanguard. Before that pretty much every single hero had that as a core item.
SpiZe
Profile Joined December 2010
Canada3640 Posts
December 10 2011 13:40 GMT
#932
Hey I was wondering, does anyone know if Valve is actually planning to implement other game modes before during the BETA or if they are going to wait until release ?
EtherealBlade
Profile Joined August 2010
660 Posts
December 10 2011 13:40 GMT
#933
On December 10 2011 14:05 Sina92 wrote:
Show nested quote +
On December 10 2011 13:24 Fruscainte wrote:
Yeah, that makes a lot of sense. Thanks yo.

Also, Vanguard -- I know it's a rather vague question, but any AGI/INT heroes where it's almost absolutely necessary to grab Vanguard on, for future reference? The reason I ask is, I get Health Ring on pretty much every Hero these days, and it builds into that, and gives pretty damn good survivability. So yeah.


dark seer, viper, razor, antimage, necrolyte, spectre and death prophet


I'm not saying it's a bad item in every situation, but I never ever put vanguard on range heroes. I'd rather go for 2 bracers then.
Qbek
Profile Blog Joined April 2011
Poland12923 Posts
December 10 2011 13:50 GMT
#934
On December 10 2011 22:40 Muki wrote:
Show nested quote +
On December 10 2011 14:05 Sina92 wrote:
On December 10 2011 13:24 Fruscainte wrote:
Yeah, that makes a lot of sense. Thanks yo.

Also, Vanguard -- I know it's a rather vague question, but any AGI/INT heroes where it's almost absolutely necessary to grab Vanguard on, for future reference? The reason I ask is, I get Health Ring on pretty much every Hero these days, and it builds into that, and gives pretty damn good survivability. So yeah.


dark seer, viper, razor, antimage, necrolyte, spectre and death prophet


I'm not saying it's a bad item in every situation, but I never ever put vanguard on range heroes. I'd rather go for 2 bracers then.

If you need some hp regen than vanguard is still 100% viable on ranged, unlees you're going for lifesteal.
This space left intentionally dank /)3(\ http://i.imgur.com/RmeEUcF.png
Ornithorynquez
Profile Joined August 2009
430 Posts
December 10 2011 23:01 GMT
#935
I've never watched DotA(²) before, and by seeing that heroes are divided between "Radiant & Dire" i was wondering how teams decides which side they play.

Is it random ? Does some teams prefers to play a side in particular ? What's the difference ? Does teams in competitive matches have to play both sides at some point to "even" things ? Or the side you're on doesnt really matters that much ?
I have to return some videotapes.
KroplaBeskidu
Profile Joined June 2011
1093 Posts
December 10 2011 23:28 GMT
#936
On December 11 2011 08:01 Ornithorynquez wrote:
I've never watched DotA(²) before, and by seeing that heroes are divided between "Radiant & Dire" i was wondering how teams decides which side they play.

Is it random ? Does some teams prefers to play a side in particular ? What's the difference ? Does teams in competitive matches have to play both sides at some point to "even" things ? Or the side you're on doesnt really matters that much ?


Not sure about dota 2 but should be the same as dota 1 right. So in theory both sides are pretty much equal. In practice there are some subtle differences in the map layout on each side, many are easy to spot just by looking at the map, some others are a bit more technical and you either know it or you don't. I'm no know-it-all and I doubt there's any complete guide to all the differences available anywhere either, you just learn this stuff as you go along.

All in all it adds an interesting twist to the game now that you know both sides aren't exactly equal, although close to it. I suppose it could naturally be compared to white and black in chess but I think that may be a bit of a stretch. And I guess most people would say Scourge (Dire in dota 2) is white because of better access to roshan. But the thing is in chess white gets to move first in every single game. In dota the roshan thing sometimes comes into play, some other times it's absolutely no factor. Same for all the other little things. So I'm not sure the difference is as big as in chess, personally I'm in the "doesn't matter that much" crowd.

How it's actually picked in a one off tournament game, or who gets which side first in a best of set I'm not sure, but it should ideally be chosen randomly I guess? In a best of set sides are alternated in consecutive games.
borlee
Profile Blog Joined December 2010
Liechtenstein246 Posts
December 11 2011 00:09 GMT
#937
is it just me or overlap healthbars quiet often. that sucks since i cant see which creep has low health
Numy
Profile Blog Joined June 2010
South Africa35471 Posts
December 11 2011 00:32 GMT
#938
On December 10 2011 20:30 Yurie wrote:
Show nested quote +
On December 10 2011 20:26 Numy wrote:
On December 10 2011 15:00 FinestHour wrote:
Now the question you should have asked was, what hero is vanguard not good on.


If you need to survive longer a vanguard is good. Vanguard is basically an item that will always be good for that role. The question is not what hero a vanguard is not good on, merely when do I not need that over another item. Vanguard is just good. If you a lion that's dying before you can have an impact in every single fight then hell you can get a vanguard on him. I remember there was a time when every hero on a team went vanguard.


That probably was before the nerf to ranged heroes vanguard. Before that pretty much every single hero had that as a core item.


Yea it was. This was years ago. Remember it was quite soon after the item just got released.
LuckoftheIrish
Profile Joined November 2011
United States4791 Posts
December 11 2011 00:33 GMT
#939
On December 11 2011 08:01 Ornithorynquez wrote:
I've never watched DotA(²) before, and by seeing that heroes are divided between "Radiant & Dire" i was wondering how teams decides which side they play.

Is it random ? Does some teams prefers to play a side in particular ? What's the difference ? Does teams in competitive matches have to play both sides at some point to "even" things ? Or the side you're on doesnt really matters that much ?


GosuGamers has an article up, as of a few days ago, that addresses the latter point. Statistics from SMM pointed to a clear advantage for the Scourge (and thus presumably for the Dire), probably due to proximity to Roshan. There are some map imbalances - more pull spots for Sentinel, Rosh control for Dire - but our understanding of how they really alter gameplay at a concrete level isn't very good. Partially for that reason it's standard to switch sides after every game.
On Twitter @GosuGamers_LotI | Grubby has a huge head!
epoc
Profile Joined December 2010
Finland1190 Posts
December 11 2011 01:10 GMT
#940
I'm very stupid but I don't really know why you would creep pull. I mean sure you can last hit the jungle creeps but you can't be at two places at once killing the creeps at your tower. The tower takes damage
Prev 1 45 46 47 48 49 1254 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 54m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
ProTech148
Rex 125
Codebar 18
StarCraft: Brood War
Bisu 2754
Shuttle 1437
EffOrt 926
BeSt 705
Light 426
Mini 403
ggaemo 341
Stork 276
ZerO 253
firebathero 242
[ Show more ]
Rush 167
Barracks 135
Sea.KH 82
Zeus 65
Killer 63
Shine 55
Dewaltoss 55
Hyun 39
Mong 33
Shinee 31
Yoon 31
ToSsGirL 28
Aegong 28
Sexy 27
sorry 22
Bale 22
soO 21
Terrorterran 19
ajuk12(nOOB) 12
Sacsri 11
yabsab 9
zelot 6
Dota 2
qojqva3834
Dendi1786
BananaSlamJamma392
LuMiX1
Heroes of the Storm
crisheroes589
Other Games
singsing2229
hiko1208
Liquid`RaSZi1151
B2W.Neo870
Lowko357
Liquid`VortiX224
Sick167
ArmadaUGS124
Trikslyr23
ZerO(Twitch)12
Mew2King10
Organizations
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream558
StarCraft: Brood War
Kim Chul Min (afreeca) 9
[ Show 14 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• mYiSmile116
• intothetv
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• FirePhoenix3
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
League of Legends
• Jankos2202
• Nemesis1911
• TFBlade657
Other Games
• WagamamaTV288
Upcoming Events
Monday Night Weeklies
54m
Sparkling Tuna Cup
18h 54m
Afreeca Starleague
18h 54m
Leta vs Soulkey
PiGosaur Cup
1d 8h
Kung Fu Cup
1d 19h
The PondCast
2 days
Replay Cast
3 days
CranKy Ducklings
4 days
Online Event
4 days
FEL
5 days
[ Show More ]
BSL: Ladder Tournament
5 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
WardiTV Weekly
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-27
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual
Stake Ranked Episode 3

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.