• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 06:02
CEST 12:02
KST 19:02
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach3[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon103Weekly Cups (Aug 30-Sep 7): herO thrives amid growing schism10
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon How do you feel about the StarCraft shooter announcement at BlizzCon 2026? Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple Balance hotfix patch 5.0.16b (July 16) Blizzard Classic Cup @ BlizzCon 2026 - $100k prize pool
Tourneys
2026 GSTL Grand Finals ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament Master Swan Open (Global Bronze-Master 2) Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20)
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
Bot on ladder [ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach PLAYzone Challenge - open offline tour in Prague an AI researcher's take on the ladder bot BGH Auto Balance -> http://bghmmr.eu/
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 1
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero Nintendo Switch Thread EVE Corporation
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread All you football fans (soccer)!
Fan Clubs
MarineLorD Fan Club The Creator Fan Club The ShoWTimE Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
Violent-Cooperative Play and…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 9637 users

Simple Questions, Simple Answers - Page 43

Forum Index > Dota 2 Strategy
Post a Reply
Prev 1 41 42 43 44 45 1254 Next
CountChocula
Profile Blog Joined January 2011
Canada2068 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-12-06 09:04:23
December 06 2011 04:15 GMT
#841
nvm
Writer我会让他们连馒头都吃不到 Those championships owed me over the years, I will take them back one by one.
JBright
Profile Joined September 2010
Vancouver14381 Posts
December 06 2011 04:36 GMT
#842
On December 06 2011 12:56 Bladeorade wrote:
I come from a high masters Starcraft 2 and League of Legends background.

I hear a lot about how LoL is a "joke" compared to DotA etc etc people just seem like assholes.

However I am sure it is not completed unfounded. What are the major differences between LoL and DotA? I have never played WC3 or DotA, I have played RTS since Brood War and League since September. I am interested in playing DotA2 when it comes out, I am just interested in the differences between the two games.

From what I can tell DotA 2 is more difficult mechanically, and has a...different visual feel.


http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=281104
http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=255976

Here are 2 threads describing the transition from LoL to Dota2. Some of the biggest differences include
Dota(2) vs LoL
1. couriers + tp scrolls vs.blue pill
2. 3 shops (main, side lane, secret) with shop specific items vs. 1 shop
3. mana intensive skills and low starting mana pool vs. lower cost/higher mana pool or regen
4. denying creeps + towers vs. no denying
5. freely selecting and controlling units other than your hero vs. cannot select and control units other than your champion
6. no buffs from jungle and 1 global gold neutral vs. buffs and global gold from 2 neutrals
7. more items with activation (including blink) vs. summoner skills/runes/masteries
8. 25 lvls in Dota(2) where 15 go towards skills and 10 can go into stats vs. 18 in LoL all going to skills
9. can go through cracks in jungle (trees are also destructible) for losing line of sight vs. brushes and walls

However, a lot of LoL is inspired from Dota so some things will be familiar. You will have some bad habits from LoL but you will still have a head start compared to the people who haven't played games in this genre.
ModeratorThe good and the wise lead quiet lives. Neo's #1 Frenemy and nightmare.
zeehar
Profile Blog Joined July 2010
Korea (South)3804 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-12-06 08:04:59
December 06 2011 08:03 GMT
#843
there's also a LOT less ganking in lol. gameplay styles are quite different, actually. lots of lol players being surprised when mid comes over and co-ordi ganks them in the side lanes
I AM THE UNIVERSAL CONSTANT
Zlasher
Profile Blog Joined February 2010
United States9129 Posts
December 06 2011 16:59 GMT
#844
The denying mechanic is enormous, you not only stop their gold an experience early on but you are keeping the towers not pushed, so they are towards your tower, which keeps you safer from ganks. In LoL, nobody can stop you from last hitting that creep, its basically all free, if everyone last hits only, then the creeps never really push into towers and do damage. If this happens then ganks are pretty bland. In LoL everyone has a free blink to just escape from ganks anyways.

This makes the game even MORE passive and more of a farm fest, slowing down the pace of the game.

I was watching some top players on like, CLGaming on own3d the other day and I was absolutely shocked at how horrible their decision making was, diving towers, and pushing lanes when there are so many missing heros in lane. How bad they can be at last hitting when it is free farm. How they keep auto attacking creep instead of only last hitting.
Follow me: www.twitter.com/zlasher
Hoban
Profile Blog Joined February 2011
United States1600 Posts
December 06 2011 18:39 GMT
#845
New to DotA but after attemping to play each role, I have become quite fond of ranged carries and semi-carries, notably Drow Ranger and Windrunner. I would really like to improve my gameplay with this role and I am wondering if there are any resources that could help me with game sense, engaging properly, when to farm/not farm, and other thaings that are important for a ranged carry. Right now I mostly just practice mechanics (last hitting, orb walking) but I am unsure what separates a good player from a great player.
"I am a leaf on the wind."
Darkren
Profile Blog Joined February 2010
Canada1841 Posts
December 06 2011 18:47 GMT
#846
On December 07 2011 03:39 Hoban wrote:
New to DotA but after attemping to play each role, I have become quite fond of ranged carries and semi-carries, notably Drow Ranger and Windrunner. I would really like to improve my gameplay with this role and I am wondering if there are any resources that could help me with game sense, engaging properly, when to farm/not farm, and other thaings that are important for a ranged carry. Right now I mostly just practice mechanics (last hitting, orb walking) but I am unsure what separates a good player from a great player.



Knowing how to pull a camp, basically if u are radiant on bot or dire on top u can pull the camp right behind your tower ( see shoot the camp to agro as a wave comes then let the creeps tank the camp and last hit). This allows u to slow down ur creep wave going to their tower and not stay in the open for a gank.

Know when to engage in battle, never be the first one in front of the group when u engage the battle as u will get stunned and focused, also dont clump up in blogs as u are gonna be weak to aoe.

Ur job is to pick out their disables (not alwais the case) so that after ur team as free reign over them.

Normally a support will ward for u, but asssuming u are in low MMR drop the 200 gold on the wards urself, knowing when a gank is coming or being able to gank is alwais critical.

Realize when is the time to farm and the time to participate in fights or push ( This is the mistake i see most people do ). Basically i litterally lost games because we had a clear advantage but their composition was so much better late game and we didn't push but kept farming. Ur goal is not to have full items and have fun 1 shotting creeps it is to win the game.

Visit playdota.com for more guides tips etc....

Also please if u see 4 people on ur team picking carries dont take a carrie urself...... PLEASE
"Yeah, I send (hopefully) helpful PM's quite frequently. You don't have to warn/ban everything" - KadaverBB
Fishgle
Profile Blog Joined May 2011
United States2174 Posts
December 06 2011 20:14 GMT
#847
On December 07 2011 03:39 Hoban wrote:
New to DotA but after attemping to play each role, I have become quite fond of ranged carries and semi-carries, notably Drow Ranger and Windrunner. I would really like to improve my gameplay with this role and I am wondering if there are any resources that could help me with game sense, engaging properly, when to farm/not farm, and other thaings that are important for a ranged carry. Right now I mostly just practice mechanics (last hitting, orb walking) but I am unsure what separates a good player from a great player.


sadly this is something that guides cannot teach you easily. The only way to learn this is through
A. mass gaming
B. Watching replays with similar sitations, pausing constantly to analyze
C. someone coaching as you play / watching a pro play while he explains his decisions
aka ChillyGonzalo / GnozL
Qbek
Profile Blog Joined April 2011
Poland12923 Posts
December 06 2011 20:20 GMT
#848
On December 07 2011 05:14 Fishgle wrote:
Show nested quote +
On December 07 2011 03:39 Hoban wrote:
New to DotA but after attemping to play each role, I have become quite fond of ranged carries and semi-carries, notably Drow Ranger and Windrunner. I would really like to improve my gameplay with this role and I am wondering if there are any resources that could help me with game sense, engaging properly, when to farm/not farm, and other thaings that are important for a ranged carry. Right now I mostly just practice mechanics (last hitting, orb walking) but I am unsure what separates a good player from a great player.


sadly this is something that guides cannot teach you easily. The only way to learn this is through
A. mass gaming
B. Watching replays with similar sitations, pausing constantly to analyze
C. someone coaching as you play / watching a pro play while he explains his decisions

Best way is to play with a good friend on skype and let him tell you everything, listen to him and ask questions if you want to know reasons. Not everyone is a good partner for such bussiness but its the easiest way to improve from what i've seen on me and my friends.
This space left intentionally dank /)3(\ http://i.imgur.com/RmeEUcF.png
lozarian
Profile Blog Joined January 2011
United Kingdom1043 Posts
December 06 2011 20:47 GMT
#849
I'm happy to help anyone that wants, if they find themselves in dota 2 beta, lost and alone.

I'm not puppey, but I'm here. Also have a stream and will be trying to explain more, rather than just playing and lulzing. It's harder than it sounds. Drop by, ask whatever, I always respond asap, and I will happily play with anyone.

Steam id: lozarian
For every battle honour a thousand heroes die alone, unsung, and unremembered.
ahswtini
Profile Blog Joined June 2008
Northern Ireland22213 Posts
December 06 2011 22:20 GMT
#850
Anyone know how to view your match history?
"As I've said, balance isn't about strategies or counters, it's about probability and statistics." - paralleluniverse
SoKHo
Profile Joined April 2011
Korea (South)1081 Posts
December 06 2011 22:25 GMT
#851
is the server down right now? Can't get on =(
"If you don't understand my silence, you won't understand my words"|| Big Nal_rA fan boy!! Nal_rA, Bisu, Huk, MC, Hero fighting! SKT1---->
EtherealBlade
Profile Joined August 2010
660 Posts
December 06 2011 22:35 GMT
#852
On December 07 2011 07:20 ahswtini wrote:
Anyone know how to view your match history?


You can try looking for recent replays and using your own name as filter.
Benjef
Profile Blog Joined December 2010
United Kingdom6921 Posts
December 06 2011 22:41 GMT
#853
On December 07 2011 07:25 SoKHo wrote:
is the server down right now? Can't get on =(

Seems that way . I got the same thing.
<3 | Dota 2 | DayZ | <3
EZjijy
Profile Blog Joined February 2010
United States1039 Posts
December 06 2011 22:47 GMT
#854
On December 07 2011 07:41 Benjef wrote:
Show nested quote +
On December 07 2011 07:25 SoKHo wrote:
is the server down right now? Can't get on =(

Seems that way . I got the same thing.

Doors, why won't you open!
Hoban
Profile Blog Joined February 2011
United States1600 Posts
December 06 2011 22:54 GMT
#855
I am appreciating the advice so far. I would be open to play with some people as well. I have a small group of friends I play with quite consistently. Every time something bad happens I try to look at it and see what went wrong and how to fix it (or if I died then I just write all that stuff down while waiting for respawn). Playing with people and being able to talk about what went right/wrong has been helping me quite a bit. I try to watch a little bit of pro streams or tournament games and analyze the decisions in builds/engagements/ect.

I think the servers are down atm though can't get on either. Hopefully they are adding more heroes (cmon Luna!)
"I am a leaf on the wind."
Raidern
Profile Joined February 2005
Brazil3821 Posts
December 06 2011 22:55 GMT
#856
lol i thought it was just me
was pretty pissed at my connection hehe!
For the Swarm!
SpurvL
Profile Joined March 2010
Sweden345 Posts
December 06 2011 23:10 GMT
#857
looks like the doors just opend
Naniwa, ThorZaiN, SaSe, DeMusliM, White-RA... Where are my Zerg heroes?.. Stephano <3
ahswtini
Profile Blog Joined June 2008
Northern Ireland22213 Posts
December 06 2011 23:56 GMT
#858
Still isn't working for me :O
"As I've said, balance isn't about strategies or counters, it's about probability and statistics." - paralleluniverse
Darkren
Profile Blog Joined February 2010
Canada1841 Posts
December 07 2011 00:23 GMT
#859
On December 07 2011 07:54 Hoban wrote:
I am appreciating the advice so far. I would be open to play with some people as well. I have a small group of friends I play with quite consistently. Every time something bad happens I try to look at it and see what went wrong and how to fix it (or if I died then I just write all that stuff down while waiting for respawn). Playing with people and being able to talk about what went right/wrong has been helping me quite a bit. I try to watch a little bit of pro streams or tournament games and analyze the decisions in builds/engagements/ect.

I think the servers are down atm though can't get on either. Hopefully they are adding more heroes (cmon Luna!)


Add me steam darkren1
"Yeah, I send (hopefully) helpful PM's quite frequently. You don't have to warn/ban everything" - KadaverBB
zeehar
Profile Blog Joined July 2010
Korea (South)3804 Posts
December 07 2011 00:57 GMT
#860
yeah it seems the beta is down right now
I AM THE UNIVERSAL CONSTANT
Prev 1 41 42 43 44 45 1254 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Afreeca Starleague
10:00
Ro8 Match 3
Soma vs Jaedong
Afreeca ASL 4101
StarCastTV_EN66
Liquipedia
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
mouzHeroMarine 231
Lowko99
ProTech27
StarCraft: Brood War
Bisu 3443
Larva 1146
EffOrt 1044
BeSt 781
Horang2 682
Hyuk 539
soO 479
ZerO 348
Zeus 181
Stork 109
[ Show more ]
Light 80
Rush 78
Killer 71
Shinee 62
Hyun 35
ToSsGirL 29
Mong 28
Bale 26
Terrorterran 21
PianO 20
Barracks 17
Sacsri 17
HiyA 10
Noble 6
Dota 2
XaKoH 681
XcaliburYe331
Counter-Strike
byalli953
Other Games
singsing1525
olofmeister1398
ceh9677
crisheroes206
Livibee179
Mew2King59
ArmadaUGS59
ZerO(Twitch)6
Sick2
Organizations
StarCraft: Brood War
UltimateBattle 39
lovetv 5
[ Show 13 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Berry_CruncH336
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• lizZardDota2290
League of Legends
• Jankos1877
• Stunt381
Other Games
• WagamamaTV114
Upcoming Events
WardiTV Weekly
58m
Monday Night Weeklies
5h 58m
Sparkling Tuna Cup
23h 58m
Afreeca Starleague
23h 58m
Leta vs Soulkey
PiGosaur Cup
1d 13h
Kung Fu Cup
2 days
The PondCast
2 days
Replay Cast
3 days
CranKy Ducklings
4 days
Online Event
5 days
[ Show More ]
FEL
5 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
5 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-27
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual
Stake Ranked Episode 3

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.