• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 12:52
CEST 18:52
KST 01:52
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
5.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 20267Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)78Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2
StarCraft 2
General
5.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 2026 StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? [Old] StarCraft 3 Reportedly in Development Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)
Tourneys
ISSL (IntoTheTV x SOOP SC2 League): Premier Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond)
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
Fantasy returning? BGH Auto Balance -> http://bghmmr.eu/ BW General Discussion GG Lan Fest Sofia, Bulgaria [this November] Sagi.gg Launcher Released
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Simple Questions, Simple Answers Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do?
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Russo-Ukrainian War Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
[Manga] One Piece Movie Discussion! Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
Biografia
Playlenda
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 10555 users

Simple Questions, Simple Answers - Page 117

Forum Index > Dota 2 Strategy
Post a Reply
Prev 1 115 116 117 118 119 1254 Next
Dead9
Profile Blog Joined February 2008
United States4725 Posts
April 16 2012 05:52 GMT
#2321
i don't think so because i've never seen the gold graph change due to a buyback
not entirely sure tho
The Great Taste
Profile Joined January 2012
389 Posts
April 16 2012 08:21 GMT
#2322
Sometime ago, Tobi or Synderen (or someone else on Joindota) mentioned it didn't and I don't believe it's changed. I don't think it's the case, the gold/min stat shown at the end of the game definitely doesn't take into account buybacks (or even loss of gold on death I think). I had a game with razor where I topped gold/min yet had nowhere near the items other farmers on my team had because of deaths/buyback.


On another note, where did the term SS (for missing hero) come from? Never heard it used until I started playing Dota 2, and I've played Dota since 2006, and a bit of LoL and HoN as well.

eluv
Profile Joined August 2010
United States1251 Posts
April 16 2012 08:25 GMT
#2323
On April 16 2012 17:21 The Great Taste wrote:
On another note, where did the term SS (for missing hero) come from? Never heard it used until I started playing Dota 2, and I've played Dota since 2006, and a bit of LoL and HoN as well.



I don't know for certain, but I do know that I started hearing it when I played HoN about two years ago, so it was definitely around at least that long ago. My best guess is that it's literally just the middle two letters of "missing", and they happen to be on under your left hand, and are therefore easier to type.
"Yes I fucked my way to the GSL partnership" - Sundance
EtherealBlade
Profile Joined August 2010
660 Posts
April 16 2012 11:32 GMT
#2324
On April 16 2012 17:25 eluv wrote:
Show nested quote +
On April 16 2012 17:21 The Great Taste wrote:
On another note, where did the term SS (for missing hero) come from? Never heard it used until I started playing Dota 2, and I've played Dota since 2006, and a bit of LoL and HoN as well.



I don't know for certain, but I do know that I started hearing it when I played HoN about two years ago, so it was definitely around at least that long ago. My best guess is that it's literally just the middle two letters of "missing", and they happen to be on under your left hand, and are therefore easier to type.


Yeah, people learned to call "miss", but their right hand is on the mouse while their left is placed above ASDF, so it became easier to just write "ss". I also liked a system where people would write the lane and a number like m0 (=mid is missing) or t3 (3 on top)
Fishgle
Profile Blog Joined May 2011
United States2174 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-04-16 12:03:54
April 16 2012 12:03 GMT
#2325
On April 16 2012 20:32 Muki wrote:
Show nested quote +
On April 16 2012 17:25 eluv wrote:
On April 16 2012 17:21 The Great Taste wrote:
On another note, where did the term SS (for missing hero) come from? Never heard it used until I started playing Dota 2, and I've played Dota since 2006, and a bit of LoL and HoN as well.



I don't know for certain, but I do know that I started hearing it when I played HoN about two years ago, so it was definitely around at least that long ago. My best guess is that it's literally just the middle two letters of "missing", and they happen to be on under your left hand, and are therefore easier to type.


Yeah, people learned to call "miss", but their right hand is on the mouse while their left is placed above ASDF, so it became easier to just write "ss". I also liked a system where people would write the lane and a number like m0 (=mid is missing) or t3 (3 on top)


huh. i've always used:
ss = stay safe... ss top, ss mid, ss 1miss, etc
so in essence, as a replacement for "care"
aka ChillyGonzalo / GnozL
The Great Taste
Profile Joined January 2012
389 Posts
April 16 2012 12:07 GMT
#2326
Haha ok thanks, as long as same meaning . Up until middle of last year I always thought jk = joke, but it's just kidding. In essence the same thing
LAN-f34r
Profile Joined December 2010
New Zealand2099 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-04-16 13:36:12
April 16 2012 13:35 GMT
#2327
On April 16 2012 21:03 Fishgle wrote:
Show nested quote +
On April 16 2012 20:32 Muki wrote:
On April 16 2012 17:25 eluv wrote:
On April 16 2012 17:21 The Great Taste wrote:
On another note, where did the term SS (for missing hero) come from? Never heard it used until I started playing Dota 2, and I've played Dota since 2006, and a bit of LoL and HoN as well.



I don't know for certain, but I do know that I started hearing it when I played HoN about two years ago, so it was definitely around at least that long ago. My best guess is that it's literally just the middle two letters of "missing", and they happen to be on under your left hand, and are therefore easier to type.


Yeah, people learned to call "miss", but their right hand is on the mouse while their left is placed above ASDF, so it became easier to just write "ss". I also liked a system where people would write the lane and a number like m0 (=mid is missing) or t3 (3 on top)


huh. i've always used:
ss = stay safe... ss top, ss mid, ss 1miss, etc
so in essence, as a replacement for "care"


That would be so confusing. I wonder if you have been in my game sometime when i rage at people for trying to call my lane miss when they have been in fog for 2 secs and i know they are coming back

When I came from LoL it changed from mia to ss. I thought it was because people dont like doing what "LoL kiddies" do :D
The only barrier to truth is the presumption that you already have it. It's through our pane (pain) we window (win though).
therockmanxx
Profile Joined July 2010
Peru1174 Posts
April 16 2012 13:55 GMT
#2328
You know what would be cool !
Just make auto-message like in FPS games
1: Missing Hero
2: I need some help in my Line
3: Lets push this line
4: Dont engage yet !
5: Stay back idk... u get d idea
Things like that instead of just type ss , you can even add a ping in minimap so u can know who send it =D
Tekken ProGamer
igotmyown
Profile Blog Joined April 2009
United States4291 Posts
April 16 2012 14:17 GMT
#2329
On April 16 2012 20:32 Muki wrote:
Show nested quote +
On April 16 2012 17:25 eluv wrote:
On April 16 2012 17:21 The Great Taste wrote:
On another note, where did the term SS (for missing hero) come from? Never heard it used until I started playing Dota 2, and I've played Dota since 2006, and a bit of LoL and HoN as well.



I don't know for certain, but I do know that I started hearing it when I played HoN about two years ago, so it was definitely around at least that long ago. My best guess is that it's literally just the middle two letters of "missing", and they happen to be on under your left hand, and are therefore easier to type.


Yeah, people learned to call "miss", but their right hand is on the mouse while their left is placed above ASDF, so it became easier to just write "ss". I also liked a system where people would write the lane and a number like m0 (=mid is missing) or t3 (3 on top)

but s isnt near enter
scorch-
Profile Joined January 2011
United States816 Posts
April 16 2012 14:31 GMT
#2330
On April 16 2012 22:55 therockmanxx wrote:
You know what would be cool !
Just make auto-message like in FPS games
1: Missing Hero
2: I need some help in my Line
3: Lets push this line
4: Dont engage yet !
5: Stay back idk... u get d idea
Things like that instead of just type ss , you can even add a ping in minimap so u can know who send it =D


just ping and draw stuff on the minimap.
Varpulis
Profile Blog Joined February 2011
United States2517 Posts
April 16 2012 15:37 GMT
#2331
what mode (ap, rd, etc) does everybody play/is most popular?
For he is the Oystermeister, lord of all the oysters.
Qbek
Profile Blog Joined April 2011
Poland12923 Posts
April 16 2012 15:43 GMT
#2332
On April 17 2012 00:37 Varpulis wrote:
what mode (ap, rd, etc) does everybody play/is most popular?

AP is by far the most popular. Most people don't like to have their hero choice restricted.
This space left intentionally dank /)3(\ http://i.imgur.com/RmeEUcF.png
EtherealBlade
Profile Joined August 2010
660 Posts
April 16 2012 16:29 GMT
#2333
On April 16 2012 23:17 igotmyown wrote:
Show nested quote +
On April 16 2012 20:32 Muki wrote:
On April 16 2012 17:25 eluv wrote:
On April 16 2012 17:21 The Great Taste wrote:
On another note, where did the term SS (for missing hero) come from? Never heard it used until I started playing Dota 2, and I've played Dota since 2006, and a bit of LoL and HoN as well.



I don't know for certain, but I do know that I started hearing it when I played HoN about two years ago, so it was definitely around at least that long ago. My best guess is that it's literally just the middle two letters of "missing", and they happen to be on under your left hand, and are therefore easier to type.


Yeah, people learned to call "miss", but their right hand is on the mouse while their left is placed above ASDF, so it became easier to just write "ss". I also liked a system where people would write the lane and a number like m0 (=mid is missing) or t3 (3 on top)

but s isnt near enter


I play right-handed, and I use my right thumb to press enter on the numpad, then quickly type ss and then press enter again.

On April 17 2012 00:37 Varpulis wrote:
what mode (ap, rd, etc) does everybody play/is most popular?

I loved -rd in old dota, but it's so ugly in Dota 2. I expected that the reason we get -rd so late is because they've copied the circle of heroes instead of just showing the hero selection screen, which is sometimes even confusing to see which heroes are available and which aren't. Still I prefer -rd over -ap and -sd, especially until swap is introduced.
Goshawk.
Profile Blog Joined June 2008
United Kingdom5338 Posts
April 16 2012 16:46 GMT
#2334
On April 16 2012 22:55 therockmanxx wrote:
You know what would be cool !
Just make auto-message like in FPS games
1: Missing Hero
2: I need some help in my Line
3: Lets push this line
4: Dont engage yet !
5: Stay back idk... u get d idea
Things like that instead of just type ss , you can even add a ping in minimap so u can know who send it =D


You can do this easily with custom binds.

bind "x" "say_team blahblah"

etc
Kaemon
Profile Joined September 2011
Spain52 Posts
April 16 2012 16:55 GMT
#2335
On April 17 2012 00:37 Varpulis wrote:
what mode (ap, rd, etc) does everybody play/is most popular?
As you had been answered already, I also believe AP is the most popular.

Myself, I prefer SD > RD > AR over AP. It forces both me and my oponents to adapt to the disponible heroes and makes me play with (and against) a more varied pool of heroes.
I play by myself most of the time, and I don't really enjoy when I find myself facing a team of friends that pick and play easy abusable combos (always available on AP) or heroes that are kinda OP when playing against non coordinated teams made out of people that don't know each other.

But mostly, is so I keep playing all the heroes.
TheWarbler
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
United States1659 Posts
April 16 2012 17:31 GMT
#2336
In MM I only que RD. I seem to get better teamates and have better games.
if you can believe you can concieve
uNiGNoRe
Profile Blog Joined June 2007
Germany1115 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-04-16 17:56:29
April 16 2012 17:52 GMT
#2337
RD has always been my favorite mode. It's like cm for public games. The small hero pool is kind of like banning heroes just without a draft as it ensures you don't have to play/face the same heroes again and again (which is the biggest downside of AP). And the 1-2-2-2-2-1 picking pattern allows for decent counter-picking without having to wait until the last second to pick your hero.
In theory, SD is the second best mode, but the lack of hero switching reduces the number of heroes you can play by quite a bit. Also, if you want to play a certain role, support for example, it can easily be the case that you can't chose a hero for that role. In general, I think SD is too random to play it "seriously". I also get the most people who can't play their hero in SD.
And AP is the most popular by far, it takes roughly 3 times as long (on EU) if you queue only for RD instead of AP.
Oh and CM is the best mode if you queue as 5, and the worst mode if you queue with less than 4, because you will most likely face a team of 5 as opponents.
Zhiroo
Profile Joined February 2011
Kosovo2724 Posts
April 17 2012 12:11 GMT
#2338
So if someone leaves a game in matchmaking and the game says it's safe to leave do I get a loss for leaving it as well?
LoL EuW: Zhiroo - By starting this squabble you've proven nothing but how vast your stupidity is.
cilinder007
Profile Joined August 2010
Slovenia7251 Posts
April 17 2012 12:12 GMT
#2339
I think so, you just dont get an abandon
Qbek
Profile Blog Joined April 2011
Poland12923 Posts
April 17 2012 12:42 GMT
#2340
It still counts losses and wins, I've won quite a few 3v5s. And you get gold from leavers now(pretty sure you didn't earlier) so it's pretty easy :D
This space left intentionally dank /)3(\ http://i.imgur.com/RmeEUcF.png
Prev 1 115 116 117 118 119 1254 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 5h 23m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
mouzHeroMarine 449
UpATreeSC 89
Codebar 72
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 36965
Calm 3863
Bisu 1619
Shuttle 1198
FanTaSy 945
EffOrt 341
actioN 252
Rush 214
firebathero 199
Hyuk 148
[ Show more ]
Dewaltoss 100
Barracks 65
Zeus 62
Liquid`Ret 49
Free 29
Hyun 26
soO 25
Bale 24
Pusan 23
Aegong 22
HiyA 22
PianO 17
Shine 14
Sacsri 6
Dota 2
Gorgc6901
Dendi1118
XaKoH 353
League of Legends
KnowMe51
Counter-Strike
Fnx 1223
x6flipin610
Heroes of the Storm
crisheroes666
Other Games
singsing2372
FrodaN913
Beastyqt606
mouzStarbuck318
B2W.Neo224
byalli194
Livibee192
C9.Mang0120
RotterdaM106
Trikslyr68
Mew2King56
Organizations
StarCraft: Brood War
lovetv 6
[ Show 12 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• StrangeGG 55
• Dystopia_ 2
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• WagamamaTV497
Other Games
• Shiphtur950
Upcoming Events
OSC
5h 23m
Replay Cast
6h 8m
OSC
1d 6h
Big Brain Bouts
1d 17h
Rex vs INexorable
GgMaChine vs HeRoMaRinE
Reynor vs herO
AI Arena Tournament
2 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
2 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
2 days
Patches Events
2 days
BSL Open Qualifier
3 days
BSL Open Qualifier
3 days
[ Show More ]
WardiTV Weekly
4 days
PiGosaur Cup
5 days
The PondCast
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
HCC Season 3
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.