• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 21:06
CEST 03:06
KST 10:06
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)77Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3
StarCraft 2
General
How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? [Old] StarCraft 3 Reportedly in Development StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4) SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) ISSL (IntoTheTV x SOOP SC2 League): Premier Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond)
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
Sagi.gg Launcher Released BW General Discussion SC4ALL II Brood War Complete Invited Player Lineup 20-year-old Valorant player starting StarCraft Bot on ladder
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Simple Questions, Simple Answers Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do?
Other Games
General Games
General RTS Discussion Thread Nintendo Switch Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Canadian Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Dating: How's your luck?
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
[Manga] One Piece Movie Discussion! Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 6367 users

Simple Questions, Simple Answers - Page 114

Forum Index > Dota 2 Strategy
Post a Reply
Prev 1 112 113 114 115 116 1254 Next
TheWorldToCome
Profile Joined January 2012
United States452 Posts
April 10 2012 09:05 GMT
#2261
Is there like a crash course guide out there for people who are pretty much noobs in the whole MOBA genre? Or a good thread/place to start learning about DOTA2?
Starcraft 2 was designed to have a best race. You play the worst one.
Altsa
Profile Blog Joined August 2010
Finland990 Posts
April 10 2012 09:18 GMT
#2262
On April 10 2012 18:05 TheWorldToCome wrote:
Is there like a crash course guide out there for people who are pretty much noobs in the whole MOBA genre? Or a good thread/place to start learning about DOTA2?


Well, there´s this one http://www.playdota.com/guides/welcome-to-dota-you-suck

And yet it only scratches the surface.
AoD
BeMannerDuPenner
Profile Blog Joined April 2004
Germany5638 Posts
April 10 2012 11:40 GMT
#2263
some questions:
1. do we know anything about the matchmaking yet?

2. which orbs stack/work together? afair entangle didnt work with anything else back in the day, now it seems to work with venom orb. lifeleech + skadi still working on ranged is all ive read about so far.

3. what are the hero performance bars based on? k:d only? and why are they different from the 3 most succesful heroes thingy? like in the performance bars i have full ones on invoker&morphling and almost full on furion. but the 3 heroes shown are invoker(ok no surprise) then bounty and drow.

4. any changed behaviour on illus? like what orbs they can use or can they fully bash now?



life of lively to live to life of full life thx to shield battery
LAN-f34r
Profile Joined December 2010
New Zealand2099 Posts
April 10 2012 12:26 GMT
#2264
1. Personally I think the poor MMR is just due to the number of new players and the relatively small player base.

2. Apart from skadi, no orbs should stack. If orb of venom stacks with entangle proc then it is a bug (afaik). Although it is worth noting that some orbs (such as mjollnir, entangle etc) will only override other orbs when they proc, and that weaver's orb can apply deso debuff on first attack making it a viable item on him. Also dota2 fixes a few issues with MKB's interaction with some orbs.

3. Hero bars compare a lot of things with players of your skill. Specifics are not known.

4. afaik, no changes. But I'm far from certain.
The only barrier to truth is the presumption that you already have it. It's through our pane (pain) we window (win though).
LaSt)ChAnCe
Profile Blog Joined June 2005
United States2179 Posts
April 10 2012 14:31 GMT
#2265
obviously this one is going to be subjective, but what are (or are there?) the generally accepted heros of each role (support, carry, ganker, etc) with the highest skill ceiling?
eluv
Profile Joined August 2010
United States1251 Posts
April 10 2012 17:23 GMT
#2266
Invoker is the big obvious one, just given his unique skillset. After that, obviously anyone with a skillshot, i.e. pudge, WR, mirana etc. is up there, in addition to heroes like Chen and Enchantress that have to micro multiple units to be most effective.
"Yes I fucked my way to the GSL partnership" - Sundance
Numy
Profile Blog Joined June 2010
South Africa35471 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-04-10 17:41:00
April 10 2012 17:40 GMT
#2267
I don't think heroes in dota have skill ceilings, I think it's just general play. People bring up invoker but in reality he's rather easy to use mechanically if you competitive in RTS games. The role itself is what's massive I think not really individual heroes. Sure you do get heroes that are harder in role than others but that tends to mean the role they fill isn't quite the same as the role that other hero fills. An example would be Venge and CM. Both fill support but their role within that support field is different. If the enemy has an enigma Venge becomes a vastly harder support to play since positioning yourself to stop black hole is so vital and tricky.

In short no hero in dota is overly complex to play. What you do with that hero is however where the complexities are.
Qbek
Profile Blog Joined April 2011
Poland12923 Posts
April 10 2012 17:44 GMT
#2268
And than there's meepo
This space left intentionally dank /)3(\ http://i.imgur.com/RmeEUcF.png
Dankleteer
Profile Joined July 2010
United States1430 Posts
April 10 2012 17:57 GMT
#2269
What's the best approach to Huskar? I've been trying a rush to Morbid Mask, but I feel so weak in the beginning, it hurts my last hit and harass. but I try to get treads, helm of the dominator, and armlet, and don't put any points in to burning spears. The thing is I feel pretty flimsy for a long time, until I get armlet. Is there a better build for this guy, because I want to stomp pubs with him.
fresh chops
ChrisXIV
Profile Blog Joined August 2010
Austria3553 Posts
April 10 2012 19:22 GMT
#2270
On April 11 2012 02:57 Dankleteer wrote:
What's the best approach to Huskar? I've been trying a rush to Morbid Mask, but I feel so weak in the beginning, it hurts my last hit and harass. but I try to get treads, helm of the dominator, and armlet, and don't put any points in to burning spears. The thing is I feel pretty flimsy for a long time, until I get armlet. Is there a better build for this guy, because I want to stomp pubs with him.

1 point in burning spears for orbwalking and you should dominate your lane. I wouldn't rush lifesteal, early game your heal should be enough.
"Just stay on 1 base, make a lot of shit, keep attacking. It doesn't work? Keep attacking." -Chill
TheYango
Profile Joined September 2008
United States47024 Posts
April 10 2012 20:24 GMT
#2271
On April 10 2012 20:40 BeMannerDuPenner wrote:
2. which orbs stack/work together? afair entangle didnt work with anything else back in the day, now it seems to work with venom orb. lifeleech + skadi still working on ranged is all ive read about so far.

The main change is that orbs that don't proc on every hit only count as orbs on the attacks that proc them. Which means they "stack" on the attacks that don't proc them. You still don't get OoV and Entangle on the same attack, but Entangle doesn't override OoV on the non-proccing attacks.

Aside from that, the orb stacking rules have been greatly simplified. See here: http://dev.dota2.com/showthread.php?t=5071

On April 10 2012 20:40 BeMannerDuPenner wrote:
4. any changed behaviour on illus? like what orbs they can use or can they fully bash now?

All of the basic interactions are the same. The only major change I know of is that illusions no longer "fake bash", and just bash normally.
Moderator
Mr. Wiggles
Profile Blog Joined August 2010
Canada5894 Posts
April 10 2012 21:24 GMT
#2272
Is there anywhere I can read about how to pick heroes for and run a trilane properly?
you gotta dance
EtherealBlade
Profile Joined August 2010
660 Posts
April 10 2012 21:31 GMT
#2273
On April 11 2012 02:57 Dankleteer wrote:
What's the best approach to Huskar? I've been trying a rush to Morbid Mask, but I feel so weak in the beginning, it hurts my last hit and harass. but I try to get treads, helm of the dominator, and armlet, and don't put any points in to burning spears. The thing is I feel pretty flimsy for a long time, until I get armlet. Is there a better build for this guy, because I want to stomp pubs with him.


Rushing morbid mask / mask of death is a bad idea unless you're going for a quick MoM. Just max spears and your passive early, rely on helm of iron will and consumables for survival. Huskar can own a lot of lanes like this.
Slardar
Profile Joined April 2010
Canada7596 Posts
April 10 2012 21:44 GMT
#2274
On April 11 2012 02:57 Dankleteer wrote:
What's the best approach to Huskar? I've been trying a rush to Morbid Mask, but I feel so weak in the beginning, it hurts my last hit and harass. but I try to get treads, helm of the dominator, and armlet, and don't put any points in to burning spears. The thing is I feel pretty flimsy for a long time, until I get armlet. Is there a better build for this guy, because I want to stomp pubs with him.


I see two common variations. Neither of which involve getting more than 2 points into burning spear, or getting Morbid Masks early on.

1) Early Dendi Diver style Huskar. 2 points into Spears, max passive, ultimate when you can, and 4-5 levels in Stats. You just dive people and smash them. Treads, Urn, wand, Armlet.

2) Late-Game traditional carry. 1 or 2 in spears, max passive after, ult when you can, and vitality then stats. Treads, optional Urn, Wand, Armlet, HoTD, BKB, Buriza/Satanic.
Zlasher
Profile Blog Joined February 2010
United States9129 Posts
April 10 2012 23:24 GMT
#2275
The welcome to dota you suck guide is actually pretty shitty lol

All you need to do is play the game a million times, preferably against bots, learn to last hit, learn every single spell and how they work, what they do, etc. Then learn how to pull stack ward and gank.
Follow me: www.twitter.com/zlasher
Candadar
Profile Blog Joined July 2011
2049 Posts
April 10 2012 23:26 GMT
#2276
On April 11 2012 08:24 Zlasher wrote:
The welcome to dota you suck guide is actually pretty shitty lol

All you need to do is play the game a million times, preferably against bots, learn to last hit, learn every single spell and how they work, what they do, etc. Then learn how to pull stack ward and gank.


Every game can be summed up to "Get better by playing more."

That's a little disingenuous to say to someone completely new, to just do that.
Zlasher
Profile Blog Joined February 2010
United States9129 Posts
April 10 2012 23:30 GMT
#2277
I'm not saying play the game to get better I'm saying play the game to understand every hero and their spells.
Follow me: www.twitter.com/zlasher
Candadar
Profile Blog Joined July 2011
2049 Posts
April 10 2012 23:33 GMT
#2278
On April 11 2012 08:30 Zlasher wrote:
I'm not saying play the game to get better I'm saying play the game to understand every hero and their spells.


It's essentially the same thing.

I do agree 100% that the only way to improve is to actually play, and sitting back reading guides all day won't do much at all but nonetheless, if you are 100% clueless about anything, going in blind won't help. A little direction could be in order in the form of some guide to say the absolute basics. This is, assuming, you know jack shit.
5-s
Profile Joined June 2010
United States1674 Posts
April 11 2012 00:46 GMT
#2279
On April 11 2012 08:33 Candadar wrote:
Show nested quote +
On April 11 2012 08:30 Zlasher wrote:
I'm not saying play the game to get better I'm saying play the game to understand every hero and their spells.


It's essentially the same thing.

I do agree 100% that the only way to improve is to actually play, and sitting back reading guides all day won't do much at all but nonetheless, if you are 100% clueless about anything, going in blind won't help. A little direction could be in order in the form of some guide to say the absolute basics. This is, assuming, you know jack shit.

Build guides helped a lot when I first played dota (I was a war3 player before that). Watching replays also helped. After I got good at pub stomping then I moved on to inhouse leagues, but the initial games some reading definitely was useful.
I liked Dota before it was Mainstream.
Zlasher
Profile Blog Joined February 2010
United States9129 Posts
April 11 2012 02:24 GMT
#2280
What I do like suggesting to noobs is going to www.youtube.com/dotacinema and watching their hero previews (just the ones that show each spell, and what they do). Just visually understanding each spell is the most important part of learning Dota in my opinion.
Follow me: www.twitter.com/zlasher
Prev 1 112 113 114 115 116 1254 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 8h 54m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
NeuroSwarm 212
ProTech151
ViBE128
Nathanias 79
RuFF_SC2 14
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 15654
Rain 1534
GuemChi 905
Artosis 700
Bale 18
Dota 2
monkeys_forever480
Counter-Strike
taco 126
minikerr17
Super Smash Bros
hungrybox1026
Mew2King100
Other Games
summit1g7171
JimRising 483
WinterStarcraft474
C9.Mang0342
Trikslyr58
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick894
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream42
[ Show 13 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Hupsaiya 102
• davetesta24
• Letter144
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Other Games
• Scarra546
• Shiphtur437
Upcoming Events
The PondCast
8h 54m
INu's Battles
9h 54m
Percival vs SHIN
Zoun vs herO
OSC
11h 54m
OSC
21h 9m
Replay Cast
21h 54m
OSC
1d 21h
Big Brain Bouts
2 days
Rex vs INexorable
GgMaChine vs HeRoMaRinE
Reynor vs herO
AI Arena Tournament
2 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
2 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
3 days
[ Show More ]
Patches Events
3 days
BSL Open Qualifier
3 days
BSL Open Qualifier
3 days
WardiTV Weekly
5 days
PiGosaur Cup
5 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
HCC Season 3
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.