• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 05:00
CEST 11:00
KST 18:00
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror3[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup8StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)67Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2316
StarCraft 2
General
How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) Back to SC2 after 14 years - Protoss CTRL groups? October World Ranking: herO stays #1, ByuN returns
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ]
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
mca64Launcher 2.0 Sagi.gg Launcher Released [ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror Fantasy returning? BW General Discussion
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 2v2v2v2 Tournament
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 6714 users

2013 - What are you reading? - Page 50

Forum Index > Closed
Post a Reply
Prev 1 48 49 50 51 52 58 Next
corumjhaelen
Profile Blog Joined October 2009
France6884 Posts
November 20 2012 18:25 GMT
#981
On November 21 2012 03:20 sam!zdat wrote:
Oh Diamond Age is the best one...


How I loathe wuthering heights

^^ Why ?
‎numquam se plus agere quam nihil cum ageret, numquam minus solum esse quam cum solus esset
sam!zdat
Profile Blog Joined October 2010
United States5559 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-11-20 18:33:52
November 20 2012 18:31 GMT
#982
Because it's melodramatic, overwrought, and pointless

to be fair, I care about very little fiction that is pre-20th century (and I don't really like the English anyway)

edit: I should clarify: English novelists. the people are just fine I'm sure
shikata ga nai
wei2coolman
Profile Joined November 2010
United States60033 Posts
November 20 2012 18:33 GMT
#983
On November 20 2012 05:48 Sn0_Man wrote:
Show nested quote +
On November 20 2012 05:27 Zeon0 wrote:
best book i've read this year:
+ Show Spoiler +
[image loading]


sad thing: i think the saga gets worse with every book: the first was great, the second one was ok, the third wasnt that good though, the fourth (i'm at about the half) isnt that good either


Agreed. Ender's Game is pretty darn close to the best book I've ever read, but aside from Ender's Shadow all the other ones are poor to middling at best.

Now Reading: Some Malazan books, I guess (Stonewielder at the moment).
e: spoilered quoted image.

Oddly enough speaker of the dead, was my favorite, out of the saga i read.

just bought infinite jest, dunnno where i'm gunna find time to read it though,
liftlift > tsm
corumjhaelen
Profile Blog Joined October 2009
France6884 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-11-20 18:43:47
November 20 2012 18:43 GMT
#984
On November 21 2012 03:31 sam!zdat wrote:
Because it's melodramatic, overwrought, and pointless

to be fair, I care about very little fiction that is pre-20th century

Melodramatic in itself is not a problem And pointless, I'm not sure what that means in regard to literature. I guess I could say that for Homer.
And you're crazy, you're missing out so much. XIXth century is the best century for litterature. If only from Flaubert and Dostoïevski. And Baudelaire, Rimbaud, Zola, Stendhal, Balzac, Hugo.
I guess from an american point of view the XXth century is more interesting, but for a French it feels a bit like a slow decline after 1950...
‎numquam se plus agere quam nihil cum ageret, numquam minus solum esse quam cum solus esset
farvacola
Profile Blog Joined January 2011
United States18869 Posts
November 20 2012 18:43 GMT
#985
On November 21 2012 03:31 sam!zdat wrote:
Because it's melodramatic, overwrought, and pointless

to be fair, I care about very little fiction that is pre-20th century (and I don't really like the English anyway)

edit: I should clarify: English novelists. the people are just fine I'm sure

Haha, excellent, though when I consider something "melodramatic, overwrought, and pointless", perhaps I conjure up a more positive connotation
"when the Dead Kennedys found out they had skinhead fans, they literally wrote a song titled 'Nazi Punks Fuck Off'"
sam!zdat
Profile Blog Joined October 2010
United States5559 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-11-20 19:07:56
November 20 2012 18:52 GMT
#986
I liked Madame Bovary, I disliked Crime and Punishment (prefer Tolstoy, Anna Karenina is the shit) and I love Moby Dick (an American, but one of those strange pre-XX americans)

I've read a little Baudelaire and he's aight although my french is too poor to really appreciate (and Benjamin likes him so he gets a pass in my book). Same with Rimbaud. The others you mention I haven't read although I know some basic things about them.

but to be honest I mostly only care about post-War American fiction. The rest is just historical context
shikata ga nai
corumjhaelen
Profile Blog Joined October 2009
France6884 Posts
November 20 2012 19:08 GMT
#987
On November 21 2012 03:52 sam!zdat wrote:
I liked Madame Bovary, I disliked Crime and Punishment (prefer Tolstoy, Anna Karenina is the shit) and I love Moby Dick (an American, but one of those strange pre-XX americans)

I've read a little Baudelaire and he's aight although my french is too poor to really appreciate (and Benjamin likes him so he gets a pass in my book). Same with Rimbaud. The others you mention I haven't read although I know some basic things about them.

but to be honest I mostly only care about post-War American fiction. The rest is just historical context

Nothing bad can be said about Anna Karenina. Crime and Punishment I'm not a fan of, but The Idiot is an amazing book, and I need to get around the Brothers Karamazov and Demons...
As for Flaubert, people disagree, but I'm not the hugest fan of Bovary (though it's still an incredible novel). I like Salammbô better, it's a really strange piece of work, but Sentimental Education is even better. the last 15 pages are among the best things I've read in my life...
I know next to nothing about post war american fiction though. My excuse is that I'm only 24 ! Any advice ?
‎numquam se plus agere quam nihil cum ageret, numquam minus solum esse quam cum solus esset
sam!zdat
Profile Blog Joined October 2010
United States5559 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-11-20 19:14:54
November 20 2012 19:14 GMT
#988
I started reading Bros. K but I had a bad translation and I was a kid. I should give D. another chance.

In my (as it should be increasingly obvious, highly idiosyncratic) opinion, science fiction pretty much IS american literature. Other than that, I'd maybe recommend stuff like Don DeLillo "White Noise", Paul Auster "New York Trilogy," Donald Barthelme "The Dead Father" and "Snow White"... And Infinite Jest obviously. To be honest I really need to go back to reading more novels, I almost only read theory these days. It's a little embarrassing how little non-SF lit I've actually read. But my excuse, also, is that I'm only 24
shikata ga nai
farvacola
Profile Blog Joined January 2011
United States18869 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-11-20 19:20:06
November 20 2012 19:19 GMT
#989
On November 21 2012 04:08 corumjhaelen wrote:
Show nested quote +
On November 21 2012 03:52 sam!zdat wrote:
I liked Madame Bovary, I disliked Crime and Punishment (prefer Tolstoy, Anna Karenina is the shit) and I love Moby Dick (an American, but one of those strange pre-XX americans)

I've read a little Baudelaire and he's aight although my french is too poor to really appreciate (and Benjamin likes him so he gets a pass in my book). Same with Rimbaud. The others you mention I haven't read although I know some basic things about them.

but to be honest I mostly only care about post-War American fiction. The rest is just historical context

Nothing bad can be said about Anna Karenina. Crime and Punishment I'm not a fan of, but The Idiot is an amazing book, and I need to get around the Brothers Karamazov and Demons...
As for Flaubert, people disagree, but I'm not the hugest fan of Bovary (though it's still an incredible novel). I like Salammbô better, it's a really strange piece of work, but Sentimental Education is even better. the last 15 pages are among the best things I've read in my life...
I know next to nothing about post war american fiction though. My excuse is that I'm only 24 ! Any advice ?

Well, Thomas Pynchon is pretty much my go-to 20th century American author, though I'm also working my way through William Gaddis's The Recognitions. Unfortunately, I find the delineation "post war American fiction" a bit too broad and my recommendations are accordingly circumspect.

Edit: And I'm not 24 for 2 more weeks, so ha!
"when the Dead Kennedys found out they had skinhead fans, they literally wrote a song titled 'Nazi Punks Fuck Off'"
OkStyX
Profile Blog Joined October 2011
Canada1199 Posts
November 20 2012 19:22 GMT
#990
Its takin forever but i finally bought the sci fi classic Dune! I have also been reading the BoneHunters by Steven Erikson book six of Malazan book of the fallen
Team Overklocked Gaming! That man is the noblest creature may be inferred from the fact that no other creature has contested this claim. - G.C. Lichtenberg
Microchaton
Profile Joined March 2011
France342 Posts
November 20 2012 19:42 GMT
#991
Jules Verne is probably my favorite 19th century author, his books are very easy reads, and can seduce people of any age really. I read the Mysterious Island about 8 times when I was young, such an excellent book. That and Twenty Thousand Leagues under the Sea are my favorite books of him. Maurice Leblanc (Arsène Lupin) is also very readable, honestly it reads like a contemporary novel, except with a lot more wit than usual "thrillers".

Currently I'm reading DeGaulle's "La France & son armée", before that I read Metro 2033 (played the game first, both are excellent and I can't recommend them enough, though very different) & Robert Silverberg's Downwards to the Earth (also excellent book about colonists/indigens relation, on a SF background, with multiple references to Kipling and Conrad (Heart of Darkness)
Stormy
sam!zdat
Profile Blog Joined October 2010
United States5559 Posts
November 20 2012 19:49 GMT
#992
oh man I've been getting really into Silverberg recently, haven't read that one but I read Shadrach in the Furnace, Tom O' Bedlam and the Book of Skulls and all three of those were totally dope
shikata ga nai
cronican
Profile Joined February 2009
Canada424 Posts
November 20 2012 19:57 GMT
#993
I've powered through all of the Culture series by Iain M Banks in the last 6 months. I love that guy! While I was reading them, anyone I talked to who had heard of Iain Banks asked me if I had read The Wasp Factory. I told them that I wanted to finish off the culture series first before I ventured into his non-sci-fi novels. I should have listened to them and read it immediately. It is one bizarre and awesome book.

I'm reading Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy now, and the contrast of styles has been a total shock to the system.
GhostLink
Profile Joined January 2011
United States450 Posts
November 20 2012 20:03 GMT
#994
A Game of Thrones. I've never been more consumed by a book as much before. I'm already more than half way through and i just bought it 2 days ago
Let a man play chess, and tell him that every pawn is his friend. Let him think both bishops holy. Let him remember happy days in the shadows of his castles. Let him love his queen. Watch him lose them all.
ZapRoffo
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
United States5544 Posts
November 20 2012 20:35 GMT
#995
On November 21 2012 03:31 sam!zdat wrote:
Because it's melodramatic, overwrought, and pointless

to be fair, I care about very little fiction that is pre-20th century (and I don't really like the English anyway)

edit: I should clarify: English novelists. the people are just fine I'm sure


It's the best melodrama I've ever read. Especially given Emily Bronte's insular life and it being her only publication other than some poems, it's such a piece of storytelling and personal expression that there's no way I could ever remotely call it pointless.

On November 21 2012 04:08 corumjhaelen wrote:
Show nested quote +
On November 21 2012 03:52 sam!zdat wrote:
I liked Madame Bovary, I disliked Crime and Punishment (prefer Tolstoy, Anna Karenina is the shit) and I love Moby Dick (an American, but one of those strange pre-XX americans)

I've read a little Baudelaire and he's aight although my french is too poor to really appreciate (and Benjamin likes him so he gets a pass in my book). Same with Rimbaud. The others you mention I haven't read although I know some basic things about them.

but to be honest I mostly only care about post-War American fiction. The rest is just historical context

Nothing bad can be said about Anna Karenina. Crime and Punishment I'm not a fan of, but The Idiot is an amazing book, and I need to get around the Brothers Karamazov and Demons...


Notes from Underground, Notes from Underground! You can't leave it out, it's essential and the most stylistically striking 19th century work I've ever encountered and also the grandfather of the existentialism. It's like 50+ years ahead of its time.

Yeah, well, you know, that's just like, your opinion man
sam!zdat
Profile Blog Joined October 2010
United States5559 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-11-20 20:51:30
November 20 2012 20:44 GMT
#996
On November 21 2012 05:35 ZapRoffo wrote:
Show nested quote +
On November 21 2012 03:31 sam!zdat wrote:
Because it's melodramatic, overwrought, and pointless

to be fair, I care about very little fiction that is pre-20th century (and I don't really like the English anyway)

edit: I should clarify: English novelists. the people are just fine I'm sure


It's the best melodrama I've ever read. Especially given Emily Bronte's insular life and it being her only publication other than some poems, it's such a piece of storytelling and personal expression that there's no way I could ever remotely call it pointless.


sure, it's just that I'm postmodern enough not to care much about "personal expression" and the entire thing just seems utterly self-absorbed. That book has no historical consciousness at all, for me it's just irredeemably bourgeois. The only interesting part of the book is what's NOT in it, which is what happens when Heathcliff isn't wasting his time embroiled in inbred relationship drama with a bunch of degenerate aristocrats

edit: I understand that it wasn't Emily Bronte's fault that she had no idea there was an actual world out there and therefore couldn't write about it, that doesn't mean I'm gonna like the book
shikata ga nai
deth2munkies
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
United States4051 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-11-21 22:13:37
November 21 2012 22:07 GMT
#997
Just reading over this stuff (and perhaps it's because I get burned out on strict analysis in my studies), I cannot and will not sit and read through a story that doesn't interest me on a superficial level. I don't immediately dive into analysis of over-arching themes and shit like that until I'm convinced that the plot is going somewhere and the characters are engaging and make sense. I guess that's why I've never been able to enjoy classic literature and stuff like Game of Thrones, it's too weighed down in minutiae and brute-force worldbuilding which just turns me off from being able to appreciate (or even get to in some cases) the payoff.

Call me and ADD reader or what have you, but I can sit down and read through 30 pages of the Critique of Pure Reason without breaking a sweat, but trying to get through the first 150-200 pages of Game of Thrones was a nightmare. Unless your fiction is going to grab me and hold me at the beginning, you're not getting my attention throughout. Sure, I may miss/not appreciate great stories and authors this way, but it's due to a failure on their part, not mine.

As I mentioned earlier, the only book series in the last 3-4 years that I've picked up and actually stayed reading was The Dresden Files mostly because Jim Butcher knows exactly how to open a story and how to pace it. Not saying it's perfect at all times, but compared to most books where I'm bored from slogging through exposition or not being straight forwardly told what the hell is going on in the first couple of chapters, it's amazing.

Edit: Generic examples:

In the first couple of chapters of a romance novel, you meet the leads, typically set up a triangle, set up the characters' various motivations and foreshadow possible clashes, etc. The problem here is that I have no sense of scale or what's at stake. Relationships are fickle things, it's not like if this girl doesn't get this guy or vice-versa the world ends or someone dies or something like that. I'm not saying that everything needs an apocalyptic bent, but if you're telling me that I should care about these 3 people and their romantic problems "because" then you're doing it wrong.

A good book needs to tell me this stuff in the first 50 pages or I'm done:

1) Who are we dealing with?

2) Where are we?

3) What is going on?

4) How does it relate to the characters you introduced?

5) Why the hell should I (or the characters) care?
Bunn
Profile Blog Joined September 2010
Estonia934 Posts
November 21 2012 22:15 GMT
#998
Finished Reading Nabokov's Lolita. Definitely recommended. It still feels provocative, despite our society having become very open compared to half a century ago.
"There are no limits. There are plateaus, but you must not stay there, you must go beyond them. If it kills you, it kills you. A man must constantly exceed his level." - Bruce Lee
Manit0u
Profile Blog Joined August 2004
Poland17847 Posts
November 21 2012 22:38 GMT
#999
On November 20 2012 07:49 SecondManRex wrote:
[image loading]

Midway through it at the moment. Can be a little slow at times (for some reason Shelley decided to go off and tell a tale of a relatively unrelated family for a good few chapters) but there's a few decent themes which makes it interesting and the monster is certainly a tragic character.


Worth reading even if just for the fact that it's the first sci-fi book ever written.
Time is precious. Waste it wisely.
sam!zdat
Profile Blog Joined October 2010
United States5559 Posts
November 21 2012 23:29 GMT
#1000
On November 22 2012 07:38 Manit0u wrote:
Show nested quote +
On November 20 2012 07:49 SecondManRex wrote:
[image loading]

Midway through it at the moment. Can be a little slow at times (for some reason Shelley decided to go off and tell a tale of a relatively unrelated family for a good few chapters) but there's a few decent themes which makes it interesting and the monster is certainly a tragic character.


Worth reading even if just for the fact that it's the first sci-fi book ever written.


Lucian wants a word with you
shikata ga nai
Prev 1 48 49 50 51 52 58 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 1h
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft: Brood War
Leta 783
actioN 681
BeSt 289
Killer 195
Mong 162
Dewaltoss 108
sorry 59
sSak 41
ZergMaN 36
Aegong 31
[ Show more ]
Bale 29
NotJumperer 23
yabsab 14
Noble 10
Counter-Strike
byalli673
Other Games
summit1g9641
olofmeister1021
Happy339
Sick199
crisheroes180
KnowMe106
Pyrionflax96
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick740
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream34
[ Show 12 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• LUISG 8
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
League of Legends
• Jankos900
• Stunt438
Other Games
• WagamamaTV111
Upcoming Events
Afreeca Starleague
1h
Rush vs Light
WardiTV Weekly
2h
Monday Night Weeklies
7h
Replay Cast
14h
Afreeca Starleague
1d 1h
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
1d 2h
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
1d 15h
The PondCast
3 days
INu's Battles
3 days
Replay Cast
4 days
[ Show More ]
BSL: Ladder Tournament
5 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
6 days
Patches Events
6 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.