• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 14:10
CEST 20:10
KST 03:10
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup9StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)72Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2316
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Back to SC2 after 14 years - Protoss CTRL groups? October World Ranking: herO stays #1, ByuN returns
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ]
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
20-year-old Valorant player starting StarCraft Sagi.gg Launcher Released Fantasy returning? Bot on ladder [ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 2v2v2v2 Tournament
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Canadian Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 7954 users

2013 - What are you reading? - Page 49

Forum Index > Closed
Post a Reply
Prev 1 47 48 49 50 51 58 Next
corumjhaelen
Profile Blog Joined October 2009
France6884 Posts
November 19 2012 22:56 GMT
#961
On November 20 2012 07:52 zalz wrote:
I never understood all the love for Ender's Game. It really just strikes me as very average.

Something like "The Wind-Up Girl" seems like far better sci-fi imo.

I think it resonnate ver well with a certain type of audience which want to see themselves in Ender.
‎numquam se plus agere quam nihil cum ageret, numquam minus solum esse quam cum solus esset
zalz
Profile Blog Joined February 2011
Netherlands3704 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-11-19 23:03:35
November 19 2012 23:02 GMT
#962
On November 20 2012 07:56 corumjhaelen wrote:
Show nested quote +
On November 20 2012 07:52 zalz wrote:
I never understood all the love for Ender's Game. It really just strikes me as very average.

Something like "The Wind-Up Girl" seems like far better sci-fi imo.

I think it resonnate ver well with a certain type of audience which want to see themselves in Ender.


See, that I might understand. Whilst reading it, I did feel that loner-me aged 14 might have really loved this book.

But most of the things just seemed incredibly superficial, and most of the mind-games just didn't really make much sense.


I can see how a certain kind of person might really love the book as a sort of fantasy about being this super genius loner, but just as a book, I can't see all the praise it gets. It's personal fantasy and wish fulfillment, but the book itself is just mediocre.
corumjhaelen
Profile Blog Joined October 2009
France6884 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-11-19 23:08:56
November 19 2012 23:08 GMT
#963
On November 20 2012 08:02 zalz wrote:
Show nested quote +
On November 20 2012 07:56 corumjhaelen wrote:
On November 20 2012 07:52 zalz wrote:
I never understood all the love for Ender's Game. It really just strikes me as very average.

Something like "The Wind-Up Girl" seems like far better sci-fi imo.

I think it resonnate ver well with a certain type of audience which want to see themselves in Ender.


See, that I might understand. Whilst reading it, I did feel that loner-me aged 14 might have really loved this book.

But most of the things just seemed incredibly superficial, and most of the mind-games just didn't really make much sense.


I can see how a certain kind of person might really love the book as a sort of fantasy about being this super genius loner, but just as a book, I can't see all the praise it gets. It's personal fantasy and wish fulfillment, but the book itself is just mediocre.

I completely agree with you. I had trouble identifying with the character yself, because his feelings were really shallow, and frankly uninteresting. Like you, I guess if I had read it when I was 12 I would have felt differently.
‎numquam se plus agere quam nihil cum ageret, numquam minus solum esse quam cum solus esset
Ysellian
Profile Joined December 2010
Netherlands9029 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-11-19 23:37:58
November 19 2012 23:35 GMT
#964
I'm pretty sure Ender's Game is a book dedicated to a younger audience, right? The topics handled, the training camp, the character's ages, everything is really geared towards the child in you IMO.
corumjhaelen
Profile Blog Joined October 2009
France6884 Posts
November 19 2012 23:38 GMT
#965
On November 20 2012 08:35 Ysellian wrote:
I'm pretty sure Ender's Game is a book dedicated to a younger audience, right? The topics handled, the training camp, the character's ages, everything is really geared towards the child in you IMO.

Yes of course, I don't disagree. It seems to appeal to some older people though, and I don't really see why.
‎numquam se plus agere quam nihil cum ageret, numquam minus solum esse quam cum solus esset
Zeon0
Profile Joined September 2010
Austria2995 Posts
November 20 2012 00:03 GMT
#966
i'm 24 and enjoyed it. maybe its a sign for me being immature? who knows.

but its a short book, which u can get for 5€ on amazon, so i think its a good buy



On November 20 2012 07:44 Cuh wrote:
50 shades of grey trilogy.

i see what u did there!
Hater of MKP since GSL Open Season 2 | Fanboy of: NesTea Stephano IdrA DIMAGA MorroW ret DongRaeGu Snute SaSe Mvp ThorZaIN DeMusliM
niladorus
Profile Joined September 2011
Greece116 Posts
November 20 2012 00:05 GMT
#967
The Chosen of Gods (Dragonlance) trilogy.nerd to the bone baby
snotboogie
Profile Blog Joined August 2009
Australia3550 Posts
November 20 2012 00:37 GMT
#968
Been on a massive reading tear the past few months, but the most interesting I've read was See No Evil by Robert Baer:

[image loading]

It's the memoirs of one of the CIA's top spies. Throughout the decades Baer had been operating in the Middle East trying to combat terrorism. The book is really eye opening on the whole process of intelligence gathering, and the interesting and dramatic situations that arise in the course of spycraft. It's a breathtaking ride through warzones and bombings, but this book is also a critique on CIA's policy and direction in the years leading up to 9/11.

I'm sure the CIA has changed its modus operandi since 2003 (when this book was written), but for anyone interested in real spy stuff, I'd recommend this book heartily.
deth2munkies
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
United States4051 Posts
November 20 2012 00:42 GMT
#969
Now Reading: Preview chapters for Cold Days.

Dresden Files is the only series that's managed to keep my attention recently, and I can't wait for this one.
Animzor
Profile Joined March 2011
Sweden2154 Posts
November 20 2012 07:47 GMT
#970
On November 20 2012 07:56 corumjhaelen wrote:
Show nested quote +
On November 20 2012 07:52 zalz wrote:
I never understood all the love for Ender's Game. It really just strikes me as very average.

Something like "The Wind-Up Girl" seems like far better sci-fi imo.

I think it resonnate ver well with a certain type of audience which want to see themselves in Ender.


Sounds like Twilight for boys. I have thought about reading it for a while, but now I probably wont.
sam!zdat
Profile Blog Joined October 2010
United States5559 Posts
November 20 2012 07:55 GMT
#971
Ender's Game is definitely worth reading, although it's a shame you didn't when you were twelve
shikata ga nai
ShrykLdr
Profile Joined March 2011
Canada44 Posts
November 20 2012 07:59 GMT
#972
House of Leaves is what I'm reading now, and it is arguably one of the greatest books of all time! A quasi-horror novel that really just has you constantly thinking through the entire book, and basically demands you re-read it later. The one thing though is that it is completely mandatory to have the illustrated version
HuK, Stephano, Scarlett, Neeb, Team EG, Demuslim,
sam!zdat
Profile Blog Joined October 2010
United States5559 Posts
November 20 2012 08:14 GMT
#973
while House of Leaves is somewhat flawed and not the greatest book of all time, it's pretty awesome and highly worth one's time

Have you read Infinite Jest? It is a little bit like what House of Leaves wishes it were
shikata ga nai
Werk
Profile Blog Joined October 2010
United States294 Posts
November 20 2012 08:16 GMT
#974
This guy on the Joe rogan podcast had a book cause robopocolypse that sounded really neat i think i might give that ago.
Do Werk Son
ZapRoffo
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
United States5544 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-11-20 14:52:25
November 20 2012 14:47 GMT
#975
On November 20 2012 08:38 corumjhaelen wrote:
Show nested quote +
On November 20 2012 08:35 Ysellian wrote:
I'm pretty sure Ender's Game is a book dedicated to a younger audience, right? The topics handled, the training camp, the character's ages, everything is really geared towards the child in you IMO.

Yes of course, I don't disagree. It seems to appeal to some older people though, and I don't really see why.


Ender's Game was way ahead of its time on a couple things though which I think keeps it in place as a significant sci-fi work and not just a YA novel, it has a place alongside stuff like Neuromancer and Snowcrash (while none of them are like brilliant works of literature, it's hard to even say they are well written). Mainly gaming, and gaming in education, and also it totally nailed some parts of the future internet, like the whole idea of blogging and its influence in politics. Also the whole ending twist seems now like an early influence to a whole trend in movies/pop literature/etc..

Also Wuthering Heights is a great choice, in my eyes one of the most underrated novels ever, an amazing personal expression.
Yeah, well, you know, that's just like, your opinion man
corumjhaelen
Profile Blog Joined October 2009
France6884 Posts
November 20 2012 15:03 GMT
#976
On November 20 2012 23:47 ZapRoffo wrote:
Show nested quote +
On November 20 2012 08:38 corumjhaelen wrote:
On November 20 2012 08:35 Ysellian wrote:
I'm pretty sure Ender's Game is a book dedicated to a younger audience, right? The topics handled, the training camp, the character's ages, everything is really geared towards the child in you IMO.

Yes of course, I don't disagree. It seems to appeal to some older people though, and I don't really see why.


Ender's Game was way ahead of its time on a couple things though which I think keeps it in place as a significant sci-fi work and not just a YA novel, it has a place alongside stuff like Neuromancer and Snowcrash (while none of them are like brilliant works of literature, it's hard to even say they are well written). Mainly gaming, and gaming in education, and also it totally nailed some parts of the future internet, like the whole idea of blogging and its influence in politics. Also the whole ending twist seems now like an early influence to a whole trend in movies/pop literature/etc..

Also Wuthering Heights is a great choice, in my eyes one of the most underrated novels ever, an amazing personal expression.

Twist endings, or the cheapest manipulation trick ever. I hate them 90% of the time. I won't put that to the credit of Ender's game^^
Ender's game is not a bad book though. It's decently written, keeps you kinda interested, the moral implications are not completely retarded... There are way worst teenage books !
Thanks for the heads up =) That being said, I'm not sure underrated is the word, I mean it's a critically acclaimed book, and at least as a frenchman, it's considered as one of the great novel of the XIX century.
‎numquam se plus agere quam nihil cum ageret, numquam minus solum esse quam cum solus esset
ZapRoffo
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
United States5544 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-11-20 15:49:48
November 20 2012 15:48 GMT
#977
On November 21 2012 00:03 corumjhaelen wrote:
Show nested quote +
On November 20 2012 23:47 ZapRoffo wrote:
On November 20 2012 08:38 corumjhaelen wrote:
On November 20 2012 08:35 Ysellian wrote:
I'm pretty sure Ender's Game is a book dedicated to a younger audience, right? The topics handled, the training camp, the character's ages, everything is really geared towards the child in you IMO.

Yes of course, I don't disagree. It seems to appeal to some older people though, and I don't really see why.


Ender's Game was way ahead of its time on a couple things though which I think keeps it in place as a significant sci-fi work and not just a YA novel, it has a place alongside stuff like Neuromancer and Snowcrash (while none of them are like brilliant works of literature, it's hard to even say they are well written). Mainly gaming, and gaming in education, and also it totally nailed some parts of the future internet, like the whole idea of blogging and its influence in politics. Also the whole ending twist seems now like an early influence to a whole trend in movies/pop literature/etc..

Also Wuthering Heights is a great choice, in my eyes one of the most underrated novels ever, an amazing personal expression.

Twist endings, or the cheapest manipulation trick ever. I hate them 90% of the time. I won't put that to the credit of Ender's game^^
Ender's game is not a bad book though. It's decently written, keeps you kinda interested, the moral implications are not completely retarded... There are way worst teenage books !
Thanks for the heads up =) That being said, I'm not sure underrated is the word, I mean it's a critically acclaimed book, and at least as a frenchman, it's considered as one of the great novel of the XIX century.



I think how Ender's Game does the twist is pretty superior in a way though, like it's already dissected the trend that mostly came later. Instead of it being obsessed with cleverness in how it reframes the entire preceding action, it's just like so plain and dry and like sardonically acknowledges how let down-y it is. + Show Spoiler +
You read to the end and then you get there and it's just like "oh by the way, you won the war. It's over. Grats. Now go live the rest of your life."
It seems almost like dry satire on the whole hero's journey story structure.

I say underrated because now it seems like a lot of people just have the image of it as "that book that teenage girls way misunderstand and identify with in its tragic romance." I like it better than almost any of its contemporaries; for me it kills Jane Eyre, Vanity Fair, anything by Jane Austen, etc. in how sophisticated, powerful, emotionally complex and interesting narratively it is.
Yeah, well, you know, that's just like, your opinion man
corumjhaelen
Profile Blog Joined October 2009
France6884 Posts
November 20 2012 17:06 GMT
#978
On November 21 2012 00:48 ZapRoffo wrote:
Show nested quote +
On November 21 2012 00:03 corumjhaelen wrote:
On November 20 2012 23:47 ZapRoffo wrote:
On November 20 2012 08:38 corumjhaelen wrote:
On November 20 2012 08:35 Ysellian wrote:
I'm pretty sure Ender's Game is a book dedicated to a younger audience, right? The topics handled, the training camp, the character's ages, everything is really geared towards the child in you IMO.

Yes of course, I don't disagree. It seems to appeal to some older people though, and I don't really see why.


Ender's Game was way ahead of its time on a couple things though which I think keeps it in place as a significant sci-fi work and not just a YA novel, it has a place alongside stuff like Neuromancer and Snowcrash (while none of them are like brilliant works of literature, it's hard to even say they are well written). Mainly gaming, and gaming in education, and also it totally nailed some parts of the future internet, like the whole idea of blogging and its influence in politics. Also the whole ending twist seems now like an early influence to a whole trend in movies/pop literature/etc..

Also Wuthering Heights is a great choice, in my eyes one of the most underrated novels ever, an amazing personal expression.

Twist endings, or the cheapest manipulation trick ever. I hate them 90% of the time. I won't put that to the credit of Ender's game^^
Ender's game is not a bad book though. It's decently written, keeps you kinda interested, the moral implications are not completely retarded... There are way worst teenage books !
Thanks for the heads up =) That being said, I'm not sure underrated is the word, I mean it's a critically acclaimed book, and at least as a frenchman, it's considered as one of the great novel of the XIX century.



I think how Ender's Game does the twist is pretty superior in a way though, like it's already dissected the trend that mostly came later. Instead of it being obsessed with cleverness in how it reframes the entire preceding action, it's just like so plain and dry and like sardonically acknowledges how let down-y it is. + Show Spoiler +
You read to the end and then you get there and it's just like "oh by the way, you won the war. It's over. Grats. Now go live the rest of your life."
It seems almost like dry satire on the whole hero's journey story structure.

I say underrated because now it seems like a lot of people just have the image of it as "that book that teenage girls way misunderstand and identify with in its tragic romance." I like it better than almost any of its contemporaries; for me it kills Jane Eyre, Vanity Fair, anything by Jane Austen, etc. in how sophisticated, powerful, emotionally complex and interesting narratively it is.

I agree it's a lot less obnoxious, it doesn't try to "blow your mind" and it makes sense. I'd say saying its satire is a bit exagerated though.

Well, Austen seems to appeal a lot to teenage girl as well^^ Maybe I underestimate it compared to french novelists because of my french superiority complex, I'll have the pleasure to see that myself once my dear Julien + Show Spoiler +
gets executed
!
‎numquam se plus agere quam nihil cum ageret, numquam minus solum esse quam cum solus esset
Acrofales
Profile Joined August 2010
Spain18451 Posts
November 20 2012 17:20 GMT
#979
I'm reading Diamond Age. I read Snow Crash, Necronomicon, Anathem and the Baroque trilogy, but somehow missed Diamond Age. Enjoying it quite a bit, although Stephenson's writing style has clearly improved since back then. The Baroque cycle is far more maturely written and Anathem is a tour de force (although you need about 100 pages to get into it) like no other. Still, Stephenson's imaginations of the future are always interesting.

About Ender's game: it's a novel for teenagers, but it does it pretty damned well. The rest of the Ender books are very different, and while at times it gets a bit preachy, I feel that he handles the moral questions he raises incredibly well, without really imposing his religious view on the books or the characters.
sam!zdat
Profile Blog Joined October 2010
United States5559 Posts
November 20 2012 18:20 GMT
#980
Oh Diamond Age is the best one...


How I loathe wuthering heights
shikata ga nai
Prev 1 47 48 49 50 51 58 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Monday Night Weeklies
01:00
#66
TKL 2534
RotterdaM747
TaKeTV 343
IndyStarCraft 198
BRAT_OK 76
ZombieGrub75
SteadfastSC16
LiquipediaDiscussion
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
TKL 2534
RotterdaM 747
ByuN 326
MaxPax 201
IndyStarCraft 198
RuFF_SC2 101
BRAT_OK 76
ZombieGrub75
UpATreeSC 57
MindelVK 17
SteadfastSC 16
StarCraft: Brood War
Calm 3215
Shuttle 747
Mini 455
EffOrt 409
Dewaltoss 171
Rush 153
Mind 76
910 73
HiyA 69
Zeus 62
[ Show more ]
hero 57
Bale 24
sorry 21
ToSsGirL 16
Sexy 12
scan(afreeca) 9
zelot 9
Sacsri 7
Dota 2
qojqva3160
Counter-Strike
fl0m4925
pashabiceps1009
Fnx 638
Heroes of the Storm
Grubby3678
Other Games
singsing2105
ceh9705
Beastyqt687
mouzStarbuck239
XaKoH 130
C9.Mang0125
QueenE61
Trikslyr56
Organizations
Other Games
BasetradeTV223
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream25
[ Show 14 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• kabyraGe 129
• StrangeGG 33
• Reevou 6
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• WagamamaTV389
Other Games
• imaqtpie709
• Shiphtur300
Upcoming Events
Replay Cast
4h 50m
Afreeca Starleague
15h 50m
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
16h 50m
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
1d 5h
Patches Events
1d 21h
The PondCast
2 days
INu's Battles
2 days
Percival vs TBD
TBD vs herO
OSC
3 days
Replay Cast
3 days
OSC
4 days
[ Show More ]
BSL: Ladder Tournament
5 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
5 days
Patches Events
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
HCC Season 3
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.