• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 01:20
CEST 07:20
KST 14:20
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)73Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3
StarCraft 2
General
Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4) StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Back to SC2 after 14 years - Protoss CTRL groups?
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ]
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
20-year-old Valorant player starting StarCraft Sagi.gg Launcher Released Fantasy returning? BSL Season 23 Bot on ladder
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Artificial Intelligence Thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Canadian Politics Mega-thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 7039 users

2013 - What are you reading? - Page 47

Forum Index > Closed
Post a Reply
Prev 1 45 46 47 48 49 58 Next
frogrubdown
Profile Blog Joined June 2011
1266 Posts
November 12 2012 22:09 GMT
#921
On November 13 2012 06:50 ZapRoffo wrote:
Show nested quote +
On November 13 2012 02:19 Pasargadae wrote:
On November 11 2012 04:21 Tewks44 wrote:
On November 02 2012 01:02 Pasargadae wrote:
[image loading]

[image loading]

Just finished Huxley and am almost done with Marx and Engels. Anyone want to recommend anything? I prefer philosophy, antiquities, or just any old classic.

(Going to assume most people know the general synopses of these books...if not I'll be happy to reply)


I posted this a few posts up, but I'll directly recommend it to you because it is based in a philosophical question. It's very heavy on the science aspect, but in my opinion that only adds value to the philosophy behind the question.

[image loading]
"A Universe from Nothing" by Lawrence Krauss


Krauss and Dawkins..yum.

Meh, in my eyes that book turned out to be more of an embarrassment to both of them than anything, particularly as a philosophy recommendation since they gravely misunderstand philosophy/don't actually address the philosophical question and then Krauss went on to disparage philosophy in a juvenile way when he couldn't handle valid criticism.

Anyway I've picked up Gravity's Rainbow by Pynchon, but it's pretty intimidating, this might be like a year long trek with asides to read other things in the middle.


Yeah, Krauss responded like a child to this totally spot on review by David Albert:

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/03/25/books/review/a-universe-from-nothing-by-lawrence-m-krauss.html.

Really disappointing on his part.

Gravity's Rainbow is probably my favorite book. Enjoy.
farvacola
Profile Blog Joined January 2011
United States18869 Posts
November 12 2012 22:13 GMT
#922
On November 13 2012 07:09 frogrubdown wrote:
Show nested quote +
On November 13 2012 06:50 ZapRoffo wrote:
On November 13 2012 02:19 Pasargadae wrote:
On November 11 2012 04:21 Tewks44 wrote:
On November 02 2012 01:02 Pasargadae wrote:
[image loading]

[image loading]

Just finished Huxley and am almost done with Marx and Engels. Anyone want to recommend anything? I prefer philosophy, antiquities, or just any old classic.

(Going to assume most people know the general synopses of these books...if not I'll be happy to reply)


I posted this a few posts up, but I'll directly recommend it to you because it is based in a philosophical question. It's very heavy on the science aspect, but in my opinion that only adds value to the philosophy behind the question.

[image loading]
"A Universe from Nothing" by Lawrence Krauss


Krauss and Dawkins..yum.

Meh, in my eyes that book turned out to be more of an embarrassment to both of them than anything, particularly as a philosophy recommendation since they gravely misunderstand philosophy/don't actually address the philosophical question and then Krauss went on to disparage philosophy in a juvenile way when he couldn't handle valid criticism.

Anyway I've picked up Gravity's Rainbow by Pynchon, but it's pretty intimidating, this might be like a year long trek with asides to read other things in the middle.


Yeah, Krauss responded like a child to this totally spot on review by David Albert:

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/03/25/books/review/a-universe-from-nothing-by-lawrence-m-krauss.html.

Really disappointing on his part.

Gravity's Rainbow is probably my favorite book. Enjoy.

I, too, am a huge fan of Gravity's Rainbow; I've read it through three times, and am planning on a fourth soon. If you have any questions or just wanna discuss the work, ZapRoffo, feel free to send me a PM. I've gotta put these English major skills to work somehow
"when the Dead Kennedys found out they had skinhead fans, they literally wrote a song titled 'Nazi Punks Fuck Off'"
Pasargadae
Profile Joined March 2012
Korea (South)173 Posts
November 15 2012 20:21 GMT
#923
On November 13 2012 06:50 ZapRoffo wrote:
Show nested quote +
On November 13 2012 02:19 Pasargadae wrote:
On November 11 2012 04:21 Tewks44 wrote:
On November 02 2012 01:02 Pasargadae wrote:
[image loading]

[image loading]

Just finished Huxley and am almost done with Marx and Engels. Anyone want to recommend anything? I prefer philosophy, antiquities, or just any old classic.

(Going to assume most people know the general synopses of these books...if not I'll be happy to reply)


I posted this a few posts up, but I'll directly recommend it to you because it is based in a philosophical question. It's very heavy on the science aspect, but in my opinion that only adds value to the philosophy behind the question.

[image loading]
"A Universe from Nothing" by Lawrence Krauss


Krauss and Dawkins..yum.

Meh, in my eyes that book turned out to be more of an embarrassment to both of them than anything, particularly as a philosophy recommendation since they gravely misunderstand philosophy/don't actually address the philosophical question and then Krauss went on to disparage philosophy in a juvenile way when he couldn't handle valid criticism.

Anyway I've picked up Gravity's Rainbow by Pynchon, but it's pretty intimidating, this might be like a year long trek with asides to read other things in the middle.





Agreed. I don't really respect either man's capacity for philosophy, but I like them because I'm a fan of scientists.
ZapRoffo
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
United States5544 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-11-16 06:15:26
November 16 2012 06:13 GMT
#924
On November 16 2012 05:21 Pasargadae wrote:
Show nested quote +
On November 13 2012 06:50 ZapRoffo wrote:
On November 13 2012 02:19 Pasargadae wrote:
On November 11 2012 04:21 Tewks44 wrote:
On November 02 2012 01:02 Pasargadae wrote:
[image loading]

[image loading]

Just finished Huxley and am almost done with Marx and Engels. Anyone want to recommend anything? I prefer philosophy, antiquities, or just any old classic.

(Going to assume most people know the general synopses of these books...if not I'll be happy to reply)


I posted this a few posts up, but I'll directly recommend it to you because it is based in a philosophical question. It's very heavy on the science aspect, but in my opinion that only adds value to the philosophy behind the question.

[image loading]
"A Universe from Nothing" by Lawrence Krauss


Krauss and Dawkins..yum.

Meh, in my eyes that book turned out to be more of an embarrassment to both of them than anything, particularly as a philosophy recommendation since they gravely misunderstand philosophy/don't actually address the philosophical question and then Krauss went on to disparage philosophy in a juvenile way when he couldn't handle valid criticism.

Anyway I've picked up Gravity's Rainbow by Pynchon, but it's pretty intimidating, this might be like a year long trek with asides to read other things in the middle.





Agreed. I don't really respect either man's capacity for philosophy, but I like them because I'm a fan of scientists.


I've started to sort of hate scientists nowadays actually, heh, and the stuff around this book is one example of the attitude I don't like. I'm generalizing grossly throughout this post, I know, but as a group they just seem too high on science, especially like "hard" science disciplines. It's like the ego of science overall or something, overstepping its bounds, which is what leads to things like Krauss defenders on this saying that philosophy of science is useless because it doesn't discover things about the world--and that's why only science is useful. It's an obnoxious and limited viewpoint, and it seems like a lot of the real science people I encounter have that outlook.

Also disparaging things disciplines like social sciences or sociology of science--an example of something that puts science in context--I see a lot, and it's annoying. Among academics, the scientists seem to have least perspective about where they fit, and the most megalomania. I attribute a little to having a taste of victory and the finish line in the battle with theology for mainstream understanding/control of the direction of society.

But what it almost reminds me of is the rise of the revolutionaries in Russia or especially the pre-revolutionary materialists like Chernyshevsky (who very strongly influenced Lenin/the revolution), as they basically worshiped scientific progress as the one true good in the world that would lead to something like a utopian society. It's a view that lacks in the human dimension, and I feel like what eventually came about in the Soviet Union reflected that. Dostoevsky ingeniously, artfully and totally rips it apart in maybe my favorite novel ever, Notes from Underground, to bring this back to literature .

I'm not saying we try to apply science now like they did, but the lack of perspective on science I see from a lot of modern scientists/followers is reminiscent and maddening.
Yeah, well, you know, that's just like, your opinion man
frogrubdown
Profile Blog Joined June 2011
1266 Posts
November 16 2012 23:15 GMT
#925
On November 16 2012 15:13 ZapRoffo wrote:
Show nested quote +
On November 16 2012 05:21 Pasargadae wrote:
On November 13 2012 06:50 ZapRoffo wrote:
On November 13 2012 02:19 Pasargadae wrote:
On November 11 2012 04:21 Tewks44 wrote:
On November 02 2012 01:02 Pasargadae wrote:
[image loading]

[image loading]

Just finished Huxley and am almost done with Marx and Engels. Anyone want to recommend anything? I prefer philosophy, antiquities, or just any old classic.

(Going to assume most people know the general synopses of these books...if not I'll be happy to reply)


I posted this a few posts up, but I'll directly recommend it to you because it is based in a philosophical question. It's very heavy on the science aspect, but in my opinion that only adds value to the philosophy behind the question.

[image loading]
"A Universe from Nothing" by Lawrence Krauss


Krauss and Dawkins..yum.

Meh, in my eyes that book turned out to be more of an embarrassment to both of them than anything, particularly as a philosophy recommendation since they gravely misunderstand philosophy/don't actually address the philosophical question and then Krauss went on to disparage philosophy in a juvenile way when he couldn't handle valid criticism.

Anyway I've picked up Gravity's Rainbow by Pynchon, but it's pretty intimidating, this might be like a year long trek with asides to read other things in the middle.





Agreed. I don't really respect either man's capacity for philosophy, but I like them because I'm a fan of scientists.


I've started to sort of hate scientists nowadays actually, heh, and the stuff around this book is one example of the attitude I don't like. I'm generalizing grossly throughout this post, I know, but as a group they just seem too high on science, especially like "hard" science disciplines. It's like the ego of science overall or something, overstepping its bounds, which is what leads to things like Krauss defenders on this saying that philosophy of science is useless because it doesn't discover things about the world--and that's why only science is useful. It's an obnoxious and limited viewpoint, and it seems like a lot of the real science people I encounter have that outlook.

Also disparaging things disciplines like social sciences or sociology of science--an example of something that puts science in context--I see a lot, and it's annoying. Among academics, the scientists seem to have least perspective about where they fit, and the most megalomania. I attribute a little to having a taste of victory and the finish line in the battle with theology for mainstream understanding/control of the direction of society.

But what it almost reminds me of is the rise of the revolutionaries in Russia or especially the pre-revolutionary materialists like Chernyshevsky (who very strongly influenced Lenin/the revolution), as they basically worshiped scientific progress as the one true good in the world that would lead to something like a utopian society. It's a view that lacks in the human dimension, and I feel like what eventually came about in the Soviet Union reflected that. Dostoevsky ingeniously, artfully and totally rips it apart in maybe my favorite novel ever, Notes from Underground, to bring this back to literature .

I'm not saying we try to apply science now like they did, but the lack of perspective on science I see from a lot of modern scientists/followers is reminiscent and maddening.


This goes too far, I think. I know plenty of scientists who are perfectly aware that science doesn't have every answer and who respect disciplines that answer non-scientific questions. I also know plenty of non-scientists who have far too little respect for science and who don't care as much as they should when their own work conflicts with what we've come to know through science.

There doesn't seem to be any important sociological trend of scientists being narrow-minded assholes, just a few idiots given a podium.
sam!zdat
Profile Blog Joined October 2010
United States5559 Posts
November 16 2012 23:25 GMT
#926
this two cultures stuff is utterly infuriating
shikata ga nai
oneofthem
Profile Blog Joined November 2005
Cayman Islands24199 Posts
November 17 2012 00:29 GMT
#927
not sure what this krauss thing is about. the prior cause thing is a logical temptation not anything scientifically resolved.
We have fed the heart on fantasies, the heart's grown brutal from the fare, more substance in our enmities than in our love
ZapRoffo
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
United States5544 Posts
November 17 2012 00:31 GMT
#928
Heh I had that rant in me for a while, it had to get out somehow. I'm not really saying most scientists are like that, I knew I was using generalizing terms, but they are out there and they have an influential voice (and get tons of defenders in things like blog comments among the educated, and this following is actually what rubs me the wrong way). And I feel like the people who are giving it too little respect actually lack in real influence to academia and thinking and usually don't have that big of an educated following (though their influence in politics and business is alarming).

Haven't gotten far in Gravity's Rainbow yet, I've ended up talking more about Anna Karenina recently since that movie's coming out soon. My dad's reading it for the first time and keeps commenting on it.



Yeah, well, you know, that's just like, your opinion man
oneofthem
Profile Blog Joined November 2005
Cayman Islands24199 Posts
November 17 2012 00:35 GMT
#929
philosophy of science isn't that spotless imo. it's got a lot of confused arguments (realist v antirealist is particularly aggravating) going around. while i do think it can provide guidance to philosophically caused divisions within science itself, it's not styled that way yet.
We have fed the heart on fantasies, the heart's grown brutal from the fare, more substance in our enmities than in our love
sam!zdat
Profile Blog Joined October 2010
United States5559 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-11-17 00:42:07
November 17 2012 00:41 GMT
#930
if you think philosophy of science is bad, you should try talking to some "science studies" folks some time

edit: went to go visit a school where a full professor with an interest in science studies, I kid you not, did not understand the difference between "theorem" and "theory"
shikata ga nai
frogrubdown
Profile Blog Joined June 2011
1266 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-11-17 00:42:11
November 17 2012 00:41 GMT
#931
On November 17 2012 09:35 oneofthem wrote:
philosophy of science isn't that spotless imo. it's got a lot of confused arguments (realist v antirealist is particularly aggravating) going around. while i do think it can provide guidance to philosophically caused divisions within science itself, it's not styled that way yet.


There are philosophers of science and then there are philosophers of a science. The dispute referred to above was between Krauss and Albert, who is a philosopher of Physics but not of science generally.

On November 17 2012 09:41 sam!zdat wrote:
if you think philosophy of science is bad, you should try talking to some "science studies" folks some time


"If x you should try talking to some 'science studies' folks some time"

False for all values of x.
sam!zdat
Profile Blog Joined October 2010
United States5559 Posts
November 17 2012 00:57 GMT
#932
it's an infestation. all I know is that one of these days I'm going to end up having to read a book by bruno latour and I'm extremely unhappy about that
shikata ga nai
frogrubdown
Profile Blog Joined June 2011
1266 Posts
November 17 2012 00:59 GMT
#933
On November 17 2012 09:57 sam!zdat wrote:
it's an infestation. all I know is that one of these days I'm going to end up having to read a book by bruno latour and I'm extremely unhappy about that


Lucky for me, that day is in my past. Never again.
sam!zdat
Profile Blog Joined October 2010
United States5559 Posts
November 17 2012 01:02 GMT
#934
oh froggy, I'm glad you understand...
shikata ga nai
ZapRoffo
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
United States5544 Posts
November 17 2012 01:04 GMT
#935
On November 17 2012 09:35 oneofthem wrote:
philosophy of science isn't that spotless imo. it's got a lot of confused arguments (realist v antirealist is particularly aggravating) going around. while i do think it can provide guidance to philosophically caused divisions within science itself, it's not styled that way yet.


I don't see how philosophy of science as a broad entity has to have every argument be spotless and well formed to have it be applied usefully in some places (it doesn't try to do what science does, consistently explain things, apply generally, etc.) As long as it well-reasonedly talks on some some issues, I don't see why it's below consideration.
Yeah, well, you know, that's just like, your opinion man
ProCheeto
Profile Joined November 2010
United States15 Posts
November 17 2012 01:26 GMT
#936
[image loading]

and the sequel The Fractal Prince
Best reads I've had in a while.
dangerously cheesy.
Sumahi
Profile Blog Joined January 2012
Guam5609 Posts
November 17 2012 01:28 GMT
#937
The book I'm reading right now is "The Sherlockian" by Graham Moore and after that I move on to "The Casual Vacancy" by JK Rowling.
Startale <3, ST_July <3, HongUn <3, Savior <3, Gretorp <3, Nada <3, Rainbow <3, Ret <3, Squirtle <3, Bomber <3
Grantalf
Profile Joined January 2011
United States29 Posts
November 17 2012 01:56 GMT
#938
I've been going through Hugo award-winning books (I think they've all won).

So far my list is:

Starship Troopers
Ender's Game
Stranger in a Strange Land
The Hyperion Contos (Book 1 is definitely one of the best books I've ever read!!!!)

gosublade
Profile Joined May 2011
632 Posts
November 17 2012 02:04 GMT
#939
The two towers
Not even death can save you from me.
sam!zdat
Profile Blog Joined October 2010
United States5559 Posts
November 17 2012 02:48 GMT
#940
On November 17 2012 10:56 Grantalf wrote:
I've been going through Hugo award-winning books (I think they've all won).

So far my list is:

Starship Troopers
Ender's Game
Stranger in a Strange Land
The Hyperion Contos (Book 1 is definitely one of the best books I've ever read!!!!)



check out A Canticle for Leibowitz, The Man in the High Castle, The Moon is a Harsh Mistress, Babel-17, Stand on Zanzibar, The Left Hand of Darkness, Bug Jack Barron, The Dispossessed, Shadrach in the Furnace, Gateway, Neuromancer, Red Mars, the Diamond Age, American Gods, Perdido Street Station, Accelerando, Rainbow's End, and The Dervish House...

nice selection of the best hugo award has to offer, beyond what you've read
shikata ga nai
Prev 1 45 46 47 48 49 58 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Replay Cast
08:00
QMC Community Tournament 1
Liquipedia
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft: Brood War
GuemChi 1301
910 97
Hyun 92
NotJumperer 62
Bale 41
Noble 18
Britney 0
Dota 2
febbydoto16
Super Smash Bros
Mew2King134
Other Games
summit1g7357
Coldzera 732
JimRising 608
WinterStarcraft396
PiGStarcraft241
C9.Mang0239
NeuroSwarm165
ViBE2
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick668
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream29
[ Show 14 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• practicex 37
• Letter1410
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• lizZardDota2130
League of Legends
• Lourlo1089
• Rush1032
• Stunt303
Upcoming Events
Afreeca Starleague
4h 41m
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
5h 41m
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
18h 41m
Patches Events
1d 10h
The PondCast
2 days
INu's Battles
2 days
Percival vs TBD
TBD vs herO
OSC
2 days
Replay Cast
2 days
OSC
3 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
4 days
[ Show More ]
Sparkling Tuna Cup
5 days
Patches Events
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
HCC Season 3
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.