• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 11:55
CEST 17:55
KST 00:55
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)74Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4) SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup Back to SC2 after 14 years - Protoss CTRL groups?
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ]
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
Sagi.gg Launcher Released 20-year-old Valorant player starting StarCraft BGH Auto Balance -> http://bghmmr.eu/ Fantasy returning? BSL Season 23
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers
Other Games
General Games
General RTS Discussion Thread Nintendo Switch Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Dating: How's your luck? Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 9057 users

2013 - What are you reading? - Page 45

Forum Index > Closed
Post a Reply
Prev 1 43 44 45 46 47 58 Next
Azera
Profile Blog Joined December 2010
3800 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-11-01 01:36:13
November 01 2012 01:35 GMT
#881
Just finished Disgrace. The symbolism was alright (ending).

Gonna start 1984, finally got the money to buy it. Brave New World will come next.
Check out some great music made by TLers - http://bit.ly/QXYhdb , by intrigue. http://bit.ly/RTjpOR , by ohsea.toc.
Excelion
Profile Joined January 2011
Bulgaria59 Posts
November 01 2012 11:00 GMT
#882
On November 01 2012 03:32 Prugelhugel wrote:
Lem is the best!
You may like "The invincible" too, it's very similar to Solaris. I would also recommend "Robot fairy tales" (Even though it is very different to Solaris and overall a totally crazy/twisted book, you would probably like it)


Thank you I'll check both those book.
itsJaeger
Profile Joined March 2011
Australia17 Posts
November 01 2012 14:32 GMT
#883
yay bookkS :D
:D
MrF
Profile Joined October 2011
United States320 Posts
November 01 2012 14:48 GMT
#884
[image loading]
HunterXHunter is awesome
ThomasjServo
Profile Blog Joined May 2012
15244 Posts
November 01 2012 15:58 GMT
#885
On November 01 2012 10:35 Azera wrote:
Just finished Disgrace. The symbolism was alright (ending).

Gonna start 1984, finally got the money to buy it. Brave New World will come next.

As without political connotation as I can say it, 1984 is spot on in ways Orwell could never have imagined. Going to have to fish this off the shelf now.
Pasargadae
Profile Joined March 2012
Korea (South)173 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-11-01 16:03:50
November 01 2012 16:02 GMT
#886
[image loading]

[image loading]

Just finished Huxley and am almost done with Marx and Engels. Anyone want to recommend anything? I prefer philosophy, antiquities, or just any old classic.

(Going to assume most people know the general synopses of these books...if not I'll be happy to reply)
Apollo_Shards
Profile Joined February 2011
1210 Posts
November 01 2012 16:09 GMT
#887
[image loading]
Just finished reading this, an excellent read. One of my favorite books so far.



[image loading]

Im not too far in, but this book has some great advice and you learn a lot as well.
Jaedong, sOs, avilo, MaSa, Oprah
zalz
Profile Blog Joined February 2011
Netherlands3704 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-11-01 16:10:59
November 01 2012 16:10 GMT
#888
On November 02 2012 01:02 Pasargadae wrote:
Just finished Huxley and am almost done with Marx and Engels. Anyone want to recommend anything? I prefer philosophy, antiquities, or just any old classic.

(Going to assume most people know the general synopses of these books...if not I'll be happy to reply)


"Meditations" by Marcus Aurelius.

Written by a Roman emperor, deals with stoic philosophy, though not on a political level, more on how one should (according to him) regulate his/hers own life.
Pasargadae
Profile Joined March 2012
Korea (South)173 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-11-01 16:14:10
November 01 2012 16:13 GMT
#889
On November 02 2012 01:10 zalz wrote:
Show nested quote +
On November 02 2012 01:02 Pasargadae wrote:
Just finished Huxley and am almost done with Marx and Engels. Anyone want to recommend anything? I prefer philosophy, antiquities, or just any old classic.

(Going to assume most people know the general synopses of these books...if not I'll be happy to reply)


"Meditations" by Marcus Aurelius.

Written by a Roman emperor, deals with stoic philosophy, though not on a political level, more on how one should (according to him) regulate his/hers own life.


Thanks, but I read it quite a while ago ^.^

Edit: Anyone read An American Tragedy by Theodore Dreiser?
phANT1m
Profile Blog Joined August 2010
South Africa535 Posts
November 01 2012 18:57 GMT
#890
this year the focus is on Rober Ludlum books (big fan of his work), atm finishing up on The Janson Directive.
YoucriedWolf
Profile Joined July 2010
Sweden1456 Posts
November 02 2012 09:33 GMT
#891
Finished

[image loading]

Meditations - Marcus Aurelius

Good book, one of the few I wish people would understand rather than read. Encouraging that so much wisdom could be aquired so long ago.

[image loading]
Because my education sucked yo.

Romeo and Juliet - William Shakespeare (et al?)

Spoilers
Wow talk about a book that hasn't aged well. Turns out Juliet is just a stupid kid and I'm supposed to believe that their love is the stuff of legends even though Romeo rather killed a dude. Lyrics are amazing though and very insightful to one who is interested in linguistics WP shakespeare.

No update in current read as I'm soon done with that one too, it will be in my next post.
Kontys
Profile Joined October 2011
Finland659 Posts
November 02 2012 10:22 GMT
#892
[image loading]

The Lost series of Gaunt's Ghosts.

It has been almost 8 years since I first discovered Dan Abnett, but I'm still re-reading his stuff. One of the most addictive authors of all time, even in spite of the fact that Gaunt's Ghosts are all war hero novels with doom and gloom applied in stupendous quantities. Maybe that says something about me, who knows.

I also have a partly read Philosophical Discussions of Gottfried Leibniz sitting pretty in my bookshelf.
YoucriedWolf
Profile Joined July 2010
Sweden1456 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-11-02 10:43:44
November 02 2012 10:42 GMT
#893
Pasargadae:

I am sure that many people here could recommend you great classics, maybe even myself included.
But I think that the purpose of this community would be best served by me recommending you a rather hidden cultural gem by the title of "Kallocain" (author Karin Boye).

Train of thought being that reading brave new world is usually preceded by reading 1984 and what is really interesting about Kallocain is that it is basically a swedish 1984 written eight years before 1984.

Wiki states it's only 156 pages so not a big commitment either, well worth your time should you be able to aquire it. It also says that it has been translated to more than 10 languages so I will assume that english is one of them
qeMix
Profile Joined September 2011
Germany71 Posts
November 02 2012 11:49 GMT
#894
read some books in the last three months or so as i had some free time:
Haruki Murakami - The Wind Up Bird Chronicle 4/5
Hermann Hesse - Siddhartha 4/5
Stephen King - The Green Mile 4/5
Jeffery Deaver - Roadside Crosses 3/5
Jeffery Deaver - XO 4/5
Jeffery Deaver - The Devil's Teardrop 3/5
Brent Weeks - The Way of Shadows 4/5
Brent Weeks - Shadow's Edge 4/5

currently reading:
Brent Weeks - Beyond the Shadows

and next up would be Murakami - Kafka on the Shore i think.

Topin
Profile Blog Joined December 2010
Peru10128 Posts
November 02 2012 16:43 GMT
#895
[image loading]

i started this book yesterday and is so good, i have read like 1/3rd of the book and the way the author tell the story and the story itself is so good, i can feel the sadness of the characters... damn good book
i would define my style between a mix of ByuN, Maru and MKP
RvB
Profile Blog Joined December 2010
Netherlands6322 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-11-02 18:15:42
November 02 2012 18:15 GMT
#896
[image loading]

Challanging read since it's my first economy book in English sadly a lot of books don't get translated to Dutch so I have to get used to reading difficult books in English anyway.
Raktavijan
Profile Blog Joined January 2011
Finland48 Posts
November 02 2012 21:32 GMT
#897
Right at this moment, I'm reading Iain M. Banks' Use of Weapons and a few weeks before that I finished his Player of Games. Next up are three more books from the Culture series, namely Excession, Inversions and Look to Windward.

I love Mr. Banks, his style of writing is incredible and he has nice pacing, switching between action and calm as well as describing in vivid detail the surroundings, emotions and thoughts of the books characters. I strongly suggest that if any of you are into scifi, look him up. Consider Phlebas, his first Culture book, was incredible and well worth a read even if you wouldn't be interested in his other books.
"So, you still watching anime or are you strictly into Dick now?"
sorrowptoss
Profile Blog Joined June 2011
Canada1431 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-11-02 22:30:52
November 02 2012 22:29 GMT
#898
This will be my second post in this thread because I finished reading what I first set out to read and now I got some new books to eat up:

First one is A Clockwork Orange by A. Burgess. Great read, very explicit and provoking. (Removed the img because I couldn't find any that were small enough).

Second on is a "comic" book that's actually real life journalism by Joe Sacco. It's really political but nice to read.
[image loading]
Cambium
Profile Blog Joined June 2004
United States16368 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-11-03 09:05:30
November 03 2012 09:01 GMT
#899
On July 22 2012 21:53 Cambium wrote:
+ Show Spoiler +

On June 03 2012 23:39 Cambium wrote:
+ Show Spoiler +

On May 09 2012 13:32 Cambium wrote:
Just finished:
[image loading]

Read this in five days after watching the movie. It was a surprisingly good read; book three was lacking, but it wasn't terrible. The writing style sucked, there was almost no character development, and the plot was linear; but overall, it was fun and enjoyable.

Reading:
[image loading]

I've been putting this off since last year hoping that I would catch a paperback version, but I finally gave up and started reading it. So far so good, a lot more engaging than book four to say the least.

Next up:
[image loading]

It's either going to be this, Ready Player One or 1Q84, but this book won out, and the others have to wait.


Just finished:
[image loading]

This was a surprisingly good read after great disappointment with Feast. A lot of actions and changes in and outside of the Westeros. This is probably my favourite after Clash.

Reading:
[image loading]

Next up:
[image loading]



Just finished:
[image loading]

1Q84 was okay.... the first book was really good with a lot of character development, then things got pretty boring/strange/weird (typical) from the 2nd book. Too many loose ends at the end, didn't feel very satisfied after finished reading the book.

Reading:
[image loading]
Pretty interesting so far, but nothing spectacular has happened.

Next up:
[image loading]



Just finished:

In the Garden of Beasts
[image loading]
The was a exceedingly dry book with very no real crescendos, and tells a story through a very matter-of-fact narration. I actually managed to finish this book despite wanting to give up multiple times along the way. One of the biggest draws was the book's literary value: the sentences and paragraphs were extremely well written, and the prose had a very consistent tempo (even though very very slow) and flowed very well. I was reading more for the language lesson than the story itself.

I don't recommend this book unless you have a very keen interest in WWII history.

Ready Player One
[image loading]
Having suffered through the book above, I desperately needed something refreshing and easy to read, and nothing fit the bill better than Ready Player One. In comparison to Garden, this book was almost purely plot driven, and the overall prose was akin to Harry Potter (i.e. extremely easy to read/terrible). There are a ton of geeky buzzwords planted throughout the book that resonated with my inner nerd, a cheap trick, but worked very well.

The plot is very contrived, the world is taken almost directly from Second Life and Snow Crash, the love story is childish, and the ending is predictably vanilla Disney. However, the book is very entertaining. I didn't find any deeper meanings in the book; to me, it was almost like watching a Transformer movie: just turn off the brain and enjoy the ride.

11/22/63
[image loading]

This was the first Stephen King book I have ever read, and I actually loved it. The writing style was mature yet simplistic (a nice balance between the two books above), and the story had so many twists and turns, and most importantly, the story had a reasonable and logic ending; although predictable at times, it still managed to draw me in just to see how events actually pan out. I felt very engaged reading this book, and didn't even realize how long it was until I had finished it (I read books on Kindle). There was a very nice mix of internal struggles (within and amongst the main characters) and explicit and implicit battles against the supernatural/laws of physics (?? sci-fi elements). The pace was fast throughout, and the character development was great. Undoubtedly, there are a lot of plot holes in the story due to the sci-fi-esque nature of the story, but those can and should be overlooked.

I would actually set aside hours before bedtime to read this novel, and often lost sleep because I didn't want to stop.

Reading

Lost in Shangri-La
[image loading]

This book is exactly like In the Garden of Beasts except it doesn't even have exceptional prose. I read over 50% of the book, and I think I am going to give up.

The story is immensely interesting, but the author goes on **very big** tangents to describe every person who is remoted related (up to three degrees of separation) to the main characters invovled including childhood, education, career, etc. where their histories have absolutely nothing to do with the main story line. I feel the whole book could be summarized in three chapters: crash, survival, and return to base (this is just my guess, and I have no idea what will happen) rather than hundreds of pages of nonsense. There is likely more filler than the actual story.

I will not finish this book.

Up next:
The Art of Fielding
[image loading]
or...
+ Show Spoiler +

Embassytown
or
Reamde
or
Destiny of the Republic
When you want something, all the universe conspires in helping you to achieve it.
Star DroID
Profile Joined December 2011
Sweden1 Post
November 03 2012 16:56 GMT
#900
+ Show Spoiler +
On November 02 2012 01:02 Pasargadae wrote:
[image loading]

[image loading]

Just finished Huxley and am almost done with Marx and Engels. Anyone want to recommend anything? I prefer philosophy, antiquities, or just any old classic.

(Going to assume most people know the general synopses of these books...if not I'll be happy to reply)


As far as recommending goes, Karl Popper's The Open Society and Its Enemies seems to be a good follow-up.
Prev 1 43 44 45 46 47 58 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 8h 5m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
ProTech139
UpATreeSC 65
TKL 26
StarCraft: Brood War
Calm 5155
Bisu 2514
Soulkey 1632
Mini 530
EffOrt 507
Horang2 376
Larva 345
ggaemo 249
actioN 242
ZerO 222
[ Show more ]
Dewaltoss 114
Mind 95
sorry 82
hero 72
Shinee 68
Sharp 65
Sea.KH 62
Barracks 58
Pusan 58
Snow 51
Hyun 45
Bale 32
Trap 29
ToSsGirL 23
Rock 16
NaDa 14
Sacsri 13
Terrorterran 13
scan(afreeca) 12
zelot 9
Noble 8
ajuk12(nOOB) 6
Dota 2
Gorgc5722
qojqva2675
Dendi1270
420jenkins262
League of Legends
Reynor74
Counter-Strike
fl0m3003
Fnx 724
x6flipin340
edward42
Heroes of the Storm
crisheroes306
Other Games
Liquid`RaSZi1236
hiko1006
B2W.Neo452
DeMusliM293
XBOCT220
Livibee211
Liquid`VortiX199
QueenE99
Mew2King47
ZerO(Twitch)18
Organizations
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream24
Other Games
WardiTV24
[ Show 15 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• StrangeGG 74
• mYiSmile128
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• HerbMon 38
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• WagamamaTV606
League of Legends
• Nemesis3850
• TFBlade613
Other Games
• Shiphtur436
Upcoming Events
PiGosaur Cup
8h 5m
Patches Events
1d
The PondCast
1d 18h
INu's Battles
1d 19h
Percival vs TBD
Zoun vs herO
OSC
2 days
Replay Cast
2 days
OSC
3 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
4 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
4 days
Patches Events
4 days
[ Show More ]
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
WardiTV Weekly
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
HCC Season 3
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.