• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 22:44
CEST 04:44
KST 11:44
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)75Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4) SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup Back to SC2 after 14 years - Protoss CTRL groups?
Tourneys
ISSL (IntoTheTV x SOOP SC2 League): Premier Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond)
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
20-year-old Valorant player starting StarCraft Sagi.gg Launcher Released Bot on ladder BGH Auto Balance -> http://bghmmr.eu/ Fantasy returning?
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers
Other Games
General Games
General RTS Discussion Thread Nintendo Switch Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Dating: How's your luck? Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 7420 users

2013 - What are you reading? - Page 43

Forum Index > Closed
Post a Reply
Prev 1 41 42 43 44 45 58 Next
{CC}StealthBlue
Profile Blog Joined January 2003
United States41117 Posts
October 02 2012 22:34 GMT
#841
Amazing read.

[image loading]
"Smokey, this is not 'Nam, this is bowling. There are rules."
sam!zdat
Profile Blog Joined October 2010
United States5559 Posts
October 02 2012 22:35 GMT
#842
On September 22 2012 20:25 corumjhaelen wrote:
Just read : [image loading]
Passionating. The best criticism of modernity I've ever encountered


One of my favorites!
shikata ga nai
mememolly
Profile Joined December 2011
4765 Posts
October 02 2012 22:55 GMT
#843
[image loading]

Short book, read in a sitting, lucid critique of the modern working environment and its effects on employees, although offers little in the form of solutions.
HowitZer
Profile Joined February 2003
United States1610 Posts
October 02 2012 23:04 GMT
#844
[image loading]

Has some interesting things about how the UFC started so far. It all started with the desire to advertise beer at an event lol.
Human teleportation, molecular decimation, breakdown and reformation is inherently purging. It makes a man acute.
{CC}StealthBlue
Profile Blog Joined January 2003
United States41117 Posts
October 03 2012 03:51 GMT
#845
Forgot to add:

[image loading]
"Smokey, this is not 'Nam, this is bowling. There are rules."
S.O.L.I.D.
Profile Blog Joined September 2010
United States792 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-10-03 04:04:32
October 03 2012 04:03 GMT
#846
[image loading]

Liking it a lot.
YourGoodFriend
Profile Blog Joined June 2010
United States2197 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-10-03 04:19:59
October 03 2012 04:19 GMT
#847
[image loading]

The sequel to Black Prism

Really good books he is a ridiculous author and very unconventional
anonymous is the most famous author that anyone can be
Flicky
Profile Blog Joined December 2008
England2675 Posts
October 03 2012 07:45 GMT
#848
On October 03 2012 13:19 YourGoodFriend wrote:
The sequel to Black Prism

Really good books he is a ridiculous author and very unconventional


Can you say a little more? Sounds interesting and the wiki page is just the plot.

I finished Hotwire by Alex Kava and The City and the City by China Mieville.

Hotwire is just another of the new style of Maggie O'Dell novels. It's a crime thriller with a fraction of the depth and development it used to have. The series feels more like a single episode of a TV show as far as development and plot goes now (clearly an intentional shift), whereas it used to be so much more. I still liked the book and read it quickly, I just wish there would be something to shake it up.

The City and the City had a really interesting idea behind it, but it never really took off for me. Considering it won science fiction/fantasy prizes, I wouldn't really put it in either category. Not as a selling point anyway. + Show Spoiler +
The ending just sort of happens and the change before then just makes the last 70 pages feel really rushed. There's this huge interesting build-up with a mystical city and power then suddenly it just resolves itself as a silly political/business/money thing.
. I don't think China Mieville is a talented writer based on my experience with this book, he just had a really cool idea and didn't execute it very well.

Next up I'm reading The Rogue by Trudi Canavan. I'm probably going to stop with her books after this series because I know they're nothing special, but for some reason I really enjoy them. After that I think is Hyperion by Dan Simmons.

On Non-fiction side I'm finishing up on The Genealogy of Morals by Nietszche then onto Influence: The Art of Persuasion by... someone. I don't even think that's the right title.
Liquipedia"I was seriously looking for a black guy" - MrHoon
nebula.
Profile Blog Joined November 2011
Sweden1431 Posts
October 03 2012 07:50 GMT
#849
[image loading]

Really intriguing book based on diaries from WW1. Not about the war itself so not really the usual war book, its more about the everyday life and the people.
I miss you July ~~~ I was in PonyTales #7 wooho!
YourGoodFriend
Profile Blog Joined June 2010
United States2197 Posts
October 03 2012 16:08 GMT
#850
On October 03 2012 16:45 Flicky wrote:
Show nested quote +
On October 03 2012 13:19 YourGoodFriend wrote:
The sequel to Black Prism

Really good books he is a ridiculous author and very unconventional


Can you say a little more? Sounds interesting and the wiki page is just the plot.

I finished Hotwire by Alex Kava and The City and the City by China Mieville.

Hotwire is just another of the new style of Maggie O'Dell novels. It's a crime thriller with a fraction of the depth and development it used to have. The series feels more like a single episode of a TV show as far as development and plot goes now (clearly an intentional shift), whereas it used to be so much more. I still liked the book and read it quickly, I just wish there would be something to shake it up.

The City and the City had a really interesting idea behind it, but it never really took off for me. Considering it won science fiction/fantasy prizes, I wouldn't really put it in either category. Not as a selling point anyway. + Show Spoiler +
The ending just sort of happens and the change before then just makes the last 70 pages feel really rushed. There's this huge interesting build-up with a mystical city and power then suddenly it just resolves itself as a silly political/business/money thing.
. I don't think China Mieville is a talented writer based on my experience with this book, he just had a really cool idea and didn't execute it very well.

Next up I'm reading The Rogue by Trudi Canavan. I'm probably going to stop with her books after this series because I know they're nothing special, but for some reason I really enjoy them. After that I think is Hyperion by Dan Simmons.

On Non-fiction side I'm finishing up on The Genealogy of Morals by Nietszche then onto Influence: The Art of Persuasion by... someone. I don't even think that's the right title.


Sorry, to expand on that. The story line follows a main character that is fat (his friend bet him he couldn't write a good book with a fat main char) the "magic" is revolved around light and the ability to "draft" different colors into different uses. Really intriguing plot and he writes in a very "anything can happen to anyone style"
Pick it up its definitely worth the time
anonymous is the most famous author that anyone can be
Jonoman92
Profile Blog Joined September 2006
United States9110 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-10-03 16:20:04
October 03 2012 16:10 GMT
#851
Just finished The Cider House Rules. It was a good piece of literature I suppose? I didn't particularly love or hate anything about it.

Might give Catch 22 a try next. I picked it up once and it didn't grab me, but it sounds like such a staple that I should give it a go.
Animzor
Profile Joined March 2011
Sweden2154 Posts
October 03 2012 19:59 GMT
#852
On October 01 2012 20:13 YoucriedWolf wrote:
Show nested quote +
On September 22 2012 19:21 Animzor wrote:
On September 21 2012 20:28 YoucriedWolf wrote:
Meh/10
Been reading so much great SF lately and this book was nothing special. Decided to not continue with the second book even though I have it.



What great SF have you been reading?


Namely "Hyperion" and "The fall of hyperion" by Dan Simmons

And the first five books in the enders game series in publicised order:
Ender's Game (1985) - Nebula Award winner, 1985;[1] Hugo Award winner, 1986;[1] Locus Award nominee, 1986[1]
Speaker for the Dead (1986) - Nebula Award winner, 1986;[1] Hugo & Locus Awards winner, 1987;[1] Campbell Award nominee, 1987[1]
Xenocide (1991) - Hugo and Locus Awards nominee, 1992[6]
Children of the Mind (1996)
Ender's Shadow (1999) - Shortlisted for a Locus Award, 2000


Sweet, I'm about to start Hyperion actually, just had to finish Stephen Hawking's The Grand Design first.
Carnivorous Sheep
Profile Blog Joined November 2008
Baa?21247 Posts
October 03 2012 20:26 GMT
#853
Started Hyperion yesterday pretty cool so far. Dune meets Canterbury Tales.
TranslatorBaa!
KillerSOS
Profile Blog Joined July 2010
United States4207 Posts
October 03 2012 20:44 GMT
#854
On October 03 2012 05:41 Carnivorous Sheep wrote:
Show nested quote +
On October 01 2012 20:27 qqK wrote:
On October 01 2012 20:13 YoucriedWolf wrote:
On September 22 2012 19:21 Animzor wrote:
On September 21 2012 20:28 YoucriedWolf wrote:
Meh/10
Been reading so much great SF lately and this book was nothing special. Decided to not continue with the second book even though I have it.



What great SF have you been reading?


Namely "Hyperion" and "The fall of hyperion" by Dan Simmons

And the first five books in the enders game series in publicised order:
Ender's Game (1985) - Nebula Award winner, 1985;[1] Hugo Award winner, 1986;[1] Locus Award nominee, 1986[1]
Speaker for the Dead (1986) - Nebula Award winner, 1986;[1] Hugo & Locus Awards winner, 1987;[1] Campbell Award nominee, 1987[1]
Xenocide (1991) - Hugo and Locus Awards nominee, 1992[6]
Children of the Mind (1996)
Ender's Shadow (1999) - Shortlisted for a Locus Award, 2000

Calling Xenocide and Children of the Mind great SF is pretty far-fetched.

I thoght they were enjoyable enough. Just because they were weaker than the first two means they get more flak than they should...


Once a SF writer starts to turn a series into a sermon it gets old quite fast.
mastergriggy
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
United States1312 Posts
October 03 2012 20:47 GMT
#855
I am currently about 2/3rds of the way through Ender's Game. Next up I'm going to reread 1984.
Write your own song!
Zen5034
Profile Joined July 2011
United States384 Posts
October 03 2012 20:56 GMT
#856
I'm about halfway through the Grapes of Wrath at the moment, but it's slow-going.
Jaedong!
Carnivorous Sheep
Profile Blog Joined November 2008
Baa?21247 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-10-04 02:46:43
October 04 2012 02:46 GMT
#857
On October 04 2012 05:44 KillerSOS wrote:
Show nested quote +
On October 03 2012 05:41 Carnivorous Sheep wrote:
On October 01 2012 20:27 qqK wrote:
On October 01 2012 20:13 YoucriedWolf wrote:
On September 22 2012 19:21 Animzor wrote:
On September 21 2012 20:28 YoucriedWolf wrote:
Meh/10
Been reading so much great SF lately and this book was nothing special. Decided to not continue with the second book even though I have it.



What great SF have you been reading?


Namely "Hyperion" and "The fall of hyperion" by Dan Simmons

And the first five books in the enders game series in publicised order:
Ender's Game (1985) - Nebula Award winner, 1985;[1] Hugo Award winner, 1986;[1] Locus Award nominee, 1986[1]
Speaker for the Dead (1986) - Nebula Award winner, 1986;[1] Hugo & Locus Awards winner, 1987;[1] Campbell Award nominee, 1987[1]
Xenocide (1991) - Hugo and Locus Awards nominee, 1992[6]
Children of the Mind (1996)
Ender's Shadow (1999) - Shortlisted for a Locus Award, 2000

Calling Xenocide and Children of the Mind great SF is pretty far-fetched.

I thoght they were enjoyable enough. Just because they were weaker than the first two means they get more flak than they should...


Once a SF writer starts to turn a series into a sermon it gets old quite fast.


For any author to not "sermon" is difficult, and it's questionable if that's even desirable.

Besides, attacks on OSC's "sermonizing" rose dramatically after it became public knowledge that he was a Mormon/supported a lot of conservative social ideals, and it became "cool" to hate on OSC, which makes me think that it's not nearly as apparent in the text as people make it out to be, but is simply a reaction by readers to external stimuli, which makes the attack on the merits of the books kinda fallacious.
TranslatorBaa!
Soxes
Profile Joined January 2011
31 Posts
October 04 2012 03:18 GMT
#858
[image loading]

Crazy good book. My favorite books have always been those that you find yourself slightly disturbed knowing that you can relate somehow to the protagonist, no matter how far removed you are from "their reality."

Next on my list:

[image loading]
TOCHMY
Profile Blog Joined June 2010
Sweden1692 Posts
October 29 2012 21:14 GMT
#859
I'm looking for fictional books about Yakuza or Triads (Yeah I just played Sleeping Dogs, so what? I want moar asian gangsters!). Anyone got some recommendations?
Yoona <3 ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Look! It's Totoro! ☉.☉☂
Bunn
Profile Blog Joined September 2010
Estonia934 Posts
October 29 2012 21:21 GMT
#860
I just read Narcissus and Goldmund. It deals with problems such as god, wrong and right path, and self-discovery. A great book in my opinion. Definitely recommended.
"There are no limits. There are plateaus, but you must not stay there, you must go beyond them. If it kills you, it kills you. A man must constantly exceed his level." - Bruce Lee
Prev 1 41 42 43 44 45 58 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
PiGosaur Cup
09:00
#102
CranKy Ducklings114
Liquipedia
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
WinterStarcraft399
ByuN 304
RuFF_SC2 152
ViBE96
CosmosSc2 66
StarCraft: Brood War
Rain 2310
GuemChi 1307
MaD[AoV]185
Sharp 154
910 67
Bale 20
NaDa 14
Terrorterran 5
Dota 2
monkeys_forever370
LuMiX1
Counter-Strike
taco 617
minikerr17
Super Smash Bros
hungrybox1049
Other Games
summit1g8730
JimRising 591
C9.Mang0342
Trikslyr32
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick818
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream27
[ Show 13 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• EnkiAlexander 59
• CranKy Ducklings SOOP58
• Letter149
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
League of Legends
• Lourlo554
Other Games
• Shiphtur359
Upcoming Events
Patches Events
13h 17m
The PondCast
1d 7h
INu's Battles
1d 8h
Percival vs SHIN
Zoun vs herO
OSC
1d 19h
Replay Cast
1d 20h
OSC
2 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
3 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
4 days
Patches Events
4 days
BSL Open Qualifier
4 days
[ Show More ]
BSL Open Qualifier
4 days
WardiTV Weekly
6 days
PiGosaur Cup
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
HCC Season 3
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.