• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 01:19
CEST 07:19
KST 14:19
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)73Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3
StarCraft 2
General
Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4) StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Back to SC2 after 14 years - Protoss CTRL groups?
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ]
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
20-year-old Valorant player starting StarCraft Sagi.gg Launcher Released Fantasy returning? BSL Season 23 Bot on ladder
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Artificial Intelligence Thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Canadian Politics Mega-thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 7059 users

2013 - What are you reading? - Page 46

Forum Index > Closed
Post a Reply
Prev 1 44 45 46 47 48 58 Next
Pasargadae
Profile Joined March 2012
Korea (South)173 Posts
November 05 2012 20:21 GMT
#901
On November 02 2012 19:42 YoucriedWolf wrote:
Pasargadae:

I am sure that many people here could recommend you great classics, maybe even myself included.
But I think that the purpose of this community would be best served by me recommending you a rather hidden cultural gem by the title of "Kallocain" (author Karin Boye).

Train of thought being that reading brave new world is usually preceded by reading 1984 and what is really interesting about Kallocain is that it is basically a swedish 1984 written eight years before 1984.

Wiki states it's only 156 pages so not a big commitment either, well worth your time should you be able to aquire it. It also says that it has been translated to more than 10 languages so I will assume that english is one of them


Thanks...I realized how much I had deviated from the thread's structure after my last post.

Would you recommend Kallocain over Brothers Karamazov (Dostoyevsky) or An American Tragedy (Dreiser)?
Tewks44
Profile Joined April 2011
United States2032 Posts
November 06 2012 04:57 GMT
#902
[image loading]

Very interesting book
"that is our ethos; free content, starcraft content, websites that work occasionally" -Sean "Day[9]" Plott
Gahlo
Profile Joined February 2010
United States35174 Posts
November 06 2012 05:35 GMT
#903
Just started rereading the War of the Spider Queen series. Going to get into a campaign in the underdark in the near future and I need to get back into the element.
[image loading]
Visage814
Profile Joined April 2012
United States109 Posts
November 06 2012 07:07 GMT
#904
On September 23 2012 12:14 Zozma wrote:
I recently finished my re-read of the Wheel of Time books in preparation for AMoL next year (I actually liked the Robert Jordan ones. Am I alone?)

Now I'm reading this:
[image loading]

(with a different cover, obviously, which I couldn't find a picture of. It's a great book, though!)


Are you kidding? The Robert Jordan ones are much better, in my opinion.

Also, I own (and have read) Dune with that cover ^^ My dad bought it back when it came out. I read the first four in that series, I think. Maybe 5, was a while ago.

Right now I'm reading + Show Spoiler +
[image loading]


Just finished reading + Show Spoiler +
[image loading] and [image loading] and
[image loading]
during October
TOCHMY
Profile Blog Joined June 2010
Sweden1692 Posts
November 06 2012 07:40 GMT
#905
Currently reading this: [image loading]

Haven't gotten far yet, but so far it's been good. I recommend reading the other works of Lian Hearn, the books of the Otori Clan: [image loading]

Awesome series.
Yoona <3 ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Look! It's Totoro! ☉.☉☂
YoucriedWolf
Profile Joined July 2010
Sweden1456 Posts
November 06 2012 16:10 GMT
#906
Finished

[image loading]
The Great Gatsby

Oh man what a read. Fitzgeralds ability to catch deep key emotional observations in seemingly mundane settings is really impressive to me. Does not aspire to too much with its sub 200 pages but Fitzgerald makes the uttermost of every page given to him.

Reading

[image loading]
Battle hymn of the tiger mother

As was recommended to me by our own MightyAtom in the TL knowhow section. Really liking it so far. I almost wish that I could have kids of my own just so I could torture them.
zalz
Profile Blog Joined February 2011
Netherlands3704 Posts
November 06 2012 16:16 GMT
#907
On November 07 2012 01:10 YoucriedWolf wrote:
Oh man what a read. Fitzgeralds ability to catch deep key emotional observations in seemingly mundane settings is really impressive to me. Does not aspire to too much with its sub 200 pages but Fitzgerald makes the uttermost of every page given to him.


Only capturing the American dream.

You know, no biggie.
YoucriedWolf
Profile Joined July 2010
Sweden1456 Posts
November 06 2012 16:20 GMT
#908
On November 06 2012 05:21 Pasargadae wrote:
Show nested quote +
On November 02 2012 19:42 YoucriedWolf wrote:
Pasargadae:

I am sure that many people here could recommend you great classics, maybe even myself included.
But I think that the purpose of this community would be best served by me recommending you a rather hidden cultural gem by the title of "Kallocain" (author Karin Boye).

Train of thought being that reading brave new world is usually preceded by reading 1984 and what is really interesting about Kallocain is that it is basically a swedish 1984 written eight years before 1984.

Wiki states it's only 156 pages so not a big commitment either, well worth your time should you be able to aquire it. It also says that it has been translated to more than 10 languages so I will assume that english is one of them


Thanks...I realized how much I had deviated from the thread's structure after my last post.

Would you recommend Kallocain over Brothers Karamazov (Dostoyevsky) or An American Tragedy (Dreiser)?


No I would not. But I do not believe that they cancel each other out either. Those are big works and you are likely to form a growing experience with these authors and having the pleasure of familiarizing yourself with more of their works at some point.

Kallocain is just in the "156 pages you'll never regret reading" category she is more known for her poetry anyhow and I've come to understand that Kallocain is her best work (even though I've never read any other of hers).
You're not likely to get knocked out by any awsome new concept that this book presents because you've already gotten that from reading 1984. It's just a solid book with a nice piece of history attached to it, thats all.
YoucriedWolf
Profile Joined July 2010
Sweden1456 Posts
November 06 2012 16:26 GMT
#909
On November 07 2012 01:16 zalz wrote:
Show nested quote +
On November 07 2012 01:10 YoucriedWolf wrote:
Oh man what a read. Fitzgeralds ability to catch deep key emotional observations in seemingly mundane settings is really impressive to me. Does not aspire to too much with its sub 200 pages but Fitzgerald makes the uttermost of every page given to him.


Only capturing the American dream.

You know, no biggie.


Hehe I half expected to get one of those. That's not actually what I meant.
I meant that 200 pages is less likely to resonate with any unique reader because it leaves less room for him to feel that the book reflects his [imagined] personality or traits.
wardou
Profile Joined October 2010
France54 Posts
November 06 2012 17:49 GMT
#910
Im reading The Three musketeer of Alexandre Dumas [image loading]

and The Secret of the Federal Reserve of the USA [image loading]
HuK for the win.
CraZyWayne
Profile Joined August 2010
Germany357 Posts
November 06 2012 17:58 GMT
#911
Just finished (4th book of the DUNE series, great sci-fi):

[image loading]


Now reading:

[image loading]

(both in german though)
"tahts halo. dont worry"
oneofthem
Profile Blog Joined November 2005
Cayman Islands24199 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-11-09 01:51:01
November 09 2012 01:25 GMT
#912
http://www.amazon.com/Debunking-Economics-Revised-Expanded-Dethroned/dp/1848139926

the fundamental ideas have some involvement with self referential paradoxes, among which is the newcomb problem. deciders not thinking that their actions are endogenous within their own models, dynamic maths

when i was in undergrad at chicago this is like, what i felt man. the maths are so stupidly simplistic for the problems

reading this with excitement reserved for the most important ideas

edit: @guy above. dune yeaaaa good choice. i expect worship of goddess irulan
We have fed the heart on fantasies, the heart's grown brutal from the fare, more substance in our enmities than in our love
Alex1Sun
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
494 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-11-09 08:23:04
November 09 2012 08:16 GMT
#913
http://solarclipper.com/get-the-books/

[image loading] [image loading] [image loading] [image loading]

Great books! Go into my top-5 Sci-Fi list!
This is not Warcraft in space!
Dirt McGirt
Profile Joined March 2011
New Zealand129 Posts
November 09 2012 08:23 GMT
#914
Enders game series and The Foundation series. Finished up a re-read of Malazan books of the Fallen and will be heading to book depository to start plugging more gaps in my classic Sci-fi and Fantasy reading.
I control Michael Jackson
Celadan
Profile Joined September 2010
Norway471 Posts
November 09 2012 08:26 GMT
#915
On November 02 2012 01:02 Pasargadae wrote:
[image loading]

[image loading]

Just finished Huxley and am almost done with Marx and Engels. Anyone want to recommend anything? I prefer philosophy, antiquities, or just any old classic.

(Going to assume most people know the general synopses of these books...if not I'll be happy to reply)

[image loading]
You can read this marvelous piece, i have only started reading it myself.
спеціальна Тактика
Tewks44
Profile Joined April 2011
United States2032 Posts
November 10 2012 19:21 GMT
#916
On November 02 2012 01:02 Pasargadae wrote:
[image loading]

[image loading]

Just finished Huxley and am almost done with Marx and Engels. Anyone want to recommend anything? I prefer philosophy, antiquities, or just any old classic.

(Going to assume most people know the general synopses of these books...if not I'll be happy to reply)


I posted this a few posts up, but I'll directly recommend it to you because it is based in a philosophical question. It's very heavy on the science aspect, but in my opinion that only adds value to the philosophy behind the question.

[image loading]
"A Universe from Nothing" by Lawrence Krauss
"that is our ethos; free content, starcraft content, websites that work occasionally" -Sean "Day[9]" Plott
Pasargadae
Profile Joined March 2012
Korea (South)173 Posts
November 12 2012 17:19 GMT
#917
On November 11 2012 04:21 Tewks44 wrote:
Show nested quote +
On November 02 2012 01:02 Pasargadae wrote:
[image loading]

[image loading]

Just finished Huxley and am almost done with Marx and Engels. Anyone want to recommend anything? I prefer philosophy, antiquities, or just any old classic.

(Going to assume most people know the general synopses of these books...if not I'll be happy to reply)


I posted this a few posts up, but I'll directly recommend it to you because it is based in a philosophical question. It's very heavy on the science aspect, but in my opinion that only adds value to the philosophy behind the question.

[image loading]
"A Universe from Nothing" by Lawrence Krauss


Krauss and Dawkins..yum.
oneofthem
Profile Blog Joined November 2005
Cayman Islands24199 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-11-12 17:57:25
November 12 2012 17:52 GMT
#918
i never thought too much of gatsby. it's trite and boring. the whole american dream thing is cultural trash. herp derp we want to be like long island snobs. nice story.

the great french literature deals with eternal themes, the american one deals with who's more popular with the girl in the upscale neighborhood.

/rant
We have fed the heart on fantasies, the heart's grown brutal from the fare, more substance in our enmities than in our love
Butterednuts
Profile Blog Joined September 2010
United States859 Posts
November 12 2012 18:54 GMT
#919
[image loading]

As suggested by Day[9].
Chameleons Cast No Shadows
ZapRoffo
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
United States5544 Posts
November 12 2012 21:50 GMT
#920
On November 13 2012 02:19 Pasargadae wrote:
Show nested quote +
On November 11 2012 04:21 Tewks44 wrote:
On November 02 2012 01:02 Pasargadae wrote:
[image loading]

[image loading]

Just finished Huxley and am almost done with Marx and Engels. Anyone want to recommend anything? I prefer philosophy, antiquities, or just any old classic.

(Going to assume most people know the general synopses of these books...if not I'll be happy to reply)


I posted this a few posts up, but I'll directly recommend it to you because it is based in a philosophical question. It's very heavy on the science aspect, but in my opinion that only adds value to the philosophy behind the question.

[image loading]
"A Universe from Nothing" by Lawrence Krauss


Krauss and Dawkins..yum.

Meh, in my eyes that book turned out to be more of an embarrassment to both of them than anything, particularly as a philosophy recommendation since they gravely misunderstand philosophy/don't actually address the philosophical question and then Krauss went on to disparage philosophy in a juvenile way when he couldn't handle valid criticism.

Anyway I've picked up Gravity's Rainbow by Pynchon, but it's pretty intimidating, this might be like a year long trek with asides to read other things in the middle.



Yeah, well, you know, that's just like, your opinion man
Prev 1 44 45 46 47 48 58 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Replay Cast
08:00
QMC Community Tournament 1
Liquipedia
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft: Brood War
GuemChi 1301
910 97
Hyun 92
NotJumperer 62
Bale 41
Noble 18
Britney 0
Dota 2
febbydoto16
Super Smash Bros
Mew2King134
Other Games
summit1g7357
Coldzera 732
JimRising 608
WinterStarcraft396
PiGStarcraft241
C9.Mang0239
NeuroSwarm165
ViBE2
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick668
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream29
[ Show 14 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• practicex 37
• Letter1410
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• lizZardDota2130
League of Legends
• Lourlo1089
• Rush1032
• Stunt303
Upcoming Events
Afreeca Starleague
4h 41m
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
5h 41m
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
18h 41m
Patches Events
1d 10h
The PondCast
2 days
INu's Battles
2 days
Percival vs TBD
TBD vs herO
OSC
2 days
Replay Cast
2 days
OSC
3 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
4 days
[ Show More ]
Sparkling Tuna Cup
5 days
Patches Events
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
HCC Season 3
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Disclosure: This page contains affiliate marketing links that support TLnet.

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.