• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 22:38
CEST 04:38
KST 11:38
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)73Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2317
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Back to SC2 after 14 years - Protoss CTRL groups? October World Ranking: herO stays #1, ByuN returns
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ]
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
20-year-old Valorant player starting StarCraft Sagi.gg Launcher Released Fantasy returning? BSL Season 23 Bot on ladder
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Artificial Intelligence Thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Canadian Politics Mega-thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 8605 users

2013 - What are you reading? - Page 51

Forum Index > Closed
Post a Reply
Prev 1 49 50 51 52 53 58 Next
Cambium
Profile Blog Joined June 2004
United States16368 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-11-24 10:11:05
November 24 2012 10:10 GMT
#1001
On November 03 2012 18:01 Cambium wrote:
+ Show Spoiler +

On July 22 2012 21:53 Cambium wrote:
+ Show Spoiler +

On June 03 2012 23:39 Cambium wrote:
+ Show Spoiler +

On May 09 2012 13:32 Cambium wrote:
Just finished:
[image loading]

Read this in five days after watching the movie. It was a surprisingly good read; book three was lacking, but it wasn't terrible. The writing style sucked, there was almost no character development, and the plot was linear; but overall, it was fun and enjoyable.

Reading:
[image loading]

I've been putting this off since last year hoping that I would catch a paperback version, but I finally gave up and started reading it. So far so good, a lot more engaging than book four to say the least.

Next up:
[image loading]

It's either going to be this, Ready Player One or 1Q84, but this book won out, and the others have to wait.


Just finished:
[image loading]

This was a surprisingly good read after great disappointment with Feast. A lot of actions and changes in and outside of the Westeros. This is probably my favourite after Clash.

Reading:
[image loading]

Next up:
[image loading]



Just finished:
[image loading]

1Q84 was okay.... the first book was really good with a lot of character development, then things got pretty boring/strange/weird (typical) from the 2nd book. Too many loose ends at the end, didn't feel very satisfied after finished reading the book.

Reading:
[image loading]
Pretty interesting so far, but nothing spectacular has happened.

Next up:
[image loading]



Just finished:

In the Garden of Beasts
[image loading]
The was a exceedingly dry book with very no real crescendos, and tells a story through a very matter-of-fact narration. I actually managed to finish this book despite wanting to give up multiple times along the way. One of the biggest draws was the book's literary value: the sentences and paragraphs were extremely well written, and the prose had a very consistent tempo (even though very very slow) and flowed very well. I was reading more for the language lesson than the story itself.

I don't recommend this book unless you have a very keen interest in WWII history.

Ready Player One
[image loading]
Having suffered through the book above, I desperately needed something refreshing and easy to read, and nothing fit the bill better than Ready Player One. In comparison to Garden, this book was almost purely plot driven, and the overall prose was akin to Harry Potter (i.e. extremely easy to read/terrible). There are a ton of geeky buzzwords planted throughout the book that resonated with my inner nerd, a cheap trick, but worked very well.

The plot is very contrived, the world is taken almost directly from Second Life and Snow Crash, the love story is childish, and the ending is predictably vanilla Disney. However, the book is very entertaining. I didn't find any deeper meanings in the book; to me, it was almost like watching a Transformer movie: just turn off the brain and enjoy the ride.

11/22/63
[image loading]

This was the first Stephen King book I have ever read, and I actually loved it. The writing style was mature yet simplistic (a nice balance between the two books above), and the story had so many twists and turns, and most importantly, the story had a reasonable and logic ending; although predictable at times, it still managed to draw me in just to see how events actually pan out. I felt very engaged reading this book, and didn't even realize how long it was until I had finished it (I read books on Kindle). There was a very nice mix of internal struggles (within and amongst the main characters) and explicit and implicit battles against the supernatural/laws of physics (?? sci-fi elements). The pace was fast throughout, and the character development was great. Undoubtedly, there are a lot of plot holes in the story due to the sci-fi-esque nature of the story, but those can and should be overlooked.

I would actually set aside hours before bedtime to read this novel, and often lost sleep because I didn't want to stop.

Reading

Lost in Shangri-La
[image loading]

This book is exactly like In the Garden of Beasts except it doesn't even have exceptional prose. I read over 50% of the book, and I think I am going to give up.

The story is immensely interesting, but the author goes on **very big** tangents to describe every person who is remoted related (up to three degrees of separation) to the main characters invovled including childhood, education, career, etc. where their histories have absolutely nothing to do with the main story line. I feel the whole book could be summarized in three chapters: crash, survival, and return to base (this is just my guess, and I have no idea what will happen) rather than hundreds of pages of nonsense. There is likely more filler than the actual story.

I will not finish this book.

Up next:
The Art of Fielding
[image loading]
or...
+ Show Spoiler +

Embassytown
or
Reamde
or
Destiny of the Republic


Just finished:
The Art of Fielding
[image loading]

This was a really fun and easy read. The plot is driven by a college baseball team; and the main characters' lives are intertwined in very delicate ways. There are lots of twists and turns in the plot, and I didn't particularly like the ending although it did tie everything together nicely (to me, the author just took a short cut).

Next
Destiny of the Republic
[image loading]
When you want something, all the universe conspires in helping you to achieve it.
Alborz
Profile Blog Joined March 2006
Canada1551 Posts
November 24 2012 10:49 GMT
#1002
Rules of the Game the pick up book to get pussy
birchman
Profile Blog Joined February 2011
Sweden393 Posts
November 24 2012 11:18 GMT
#1003
Currently reading Stephen King's The Shining.
Oh, the usual. I bowl. Drive around. The occasional acid flashback.
InfusedTT.DaZe
Profile Joined August 2010
Romania693 Posts
November 24 2012 13:44 GMT
#1004
started reading the portrait of Dorian Gray ...
"Echoes of past events nudge the tiller on my present course, I await its reflection in the future"
Timerly
Profile Blog Joined September 2010
Germany511 Posts
November 24 2012 17:44 GMT
#1005
I miscalculated my reading a little so I'm already at the last book of my last Amazon order which is this:

[image loading]

Now starting this a week early is not exactly tragic but hurts the tiny OCD in me^^ I'm halfway through right now and I have to say I like the style but it's got one or two characters who won't really spark interest so far (this may change though). Obviously because it partly deals with terrorism and the financial crisis it sounds more preachy than satirical by now but that's mainly because there have been so many books and repots about it. It's enjoyably over the top in some aspects which lets it rise above the average "people dealing with life in a big city" thing. Not the great novel of the decade though.
crescendo
Profile Joined April 2007
United States140 Posts
November 24 2012 17:58 GMT
#1006
Can I just say that this thread is effing awesome? I'm always pretty psyched to see other bibliophiles.

I've been on a sci-fi binge lately, reading The Windup Girl:

[image loading]

And I'm almost done with The Honour of the Knights:

[image loading]

Windup Girl has been slow so far but the writing is quite good so I'm sticking to it. The Honour of the Knights reads well but is one of those books where you can tell it's not going to change your world or anything.
this mic is live
Duka
Profile Joined September 2012
United States36 Posts
November 24 2012 18:11 GMT
#1007
Really cool to see what other people are reading, glad I saw this thread!

I'm currently reading The Way of Kings by Brandon Sanderson. Only a third of the way through so far, but I have to say that Sanderson is really good at introducing believable worlds and magic in his novels. I'm a sucker for a good story. :p
Larkin
Profile Blog Joined January 2012
United Kingdom7161 Posts
November 24 2012 18:13 GMT
#1008
Reading two at once for my Literature degree, The Sound and the Fury by William Faulkner and The Old Curiosity Shop by Charles Dickens.

For pleasure (though that isn't the best word to use in context) I'm reading Juliette by the Marquis de Sade.
https://www.twitch.tv/ttalarkin - streams random stuff, high level teamleague, maybe even heroleague
Salteador Neo
Profile Blog Joined August 2009
Andorra5591 Posts
November 24 2012 19:36 GMT
#1009
On November 25 2012 03:11 Duka wrote:
Really cool to see what other people are reading, glad I saw this thread!

I'm currently reading The Way of Kings by Brandon Sanderson. Only a third of the way through so far, but I have to say that Sanderson is really good at introducing believable worlds and magic in his novels. I'm a sucker for a good story. :p


That book is SICK good. Starts ok and it only gets better and better.

On par with the first Mistborn book for sure.
Revolutionist fan
Coppermantis
Profile Joined June 2012
United States845 Posts
November 25 2012 02:06 GMT
#1010
[image loading]

Just finished it. Enjoyable book, but fairly depressing. I started reading after Jon Stewart made a reference to the book regarding one of the two U.S. Election campaigns (I forget which one) and he was actually fairly indignant when the audience failed to get the joke. Hence, when I saw it, I decided to read it.
{CC}StealthBlue
Profile Blog Joined January 2003
United States41117 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-11-25 02:40:40
November 25 2012 02:37 GMT
#1011
[image loading] [image loading]
[image loading]
"Smokey, this is not 'Nam, this is bowling. There are rules."
dcemuser
Profile Joined August 2010
United States3248 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-11-25 02:58:33
November 25 2012 02:50 GMT
#1012
Re-reading the Wheel of Time series (starting with To the Blight: The Eye of the World) in preparation for the Jan 31st, 2013 release of the FINAL BOOK of this 23-year-old series.

Having read tons of different fantasy series (10+ complete series including Wizard's First Rule, Song of Ice and Fire, and the entire Riftwar Universe), the only thing that even comes close is Song of Ice and Fire (and it is just an extremely different type of fantasy, tbh).

It could be better, but the plot direction in general is incredible. It also has one of the most unique gender balances in any series (male half of magic was tainted long ago, but female half remains pure and safely usable)... perhaps that is one of the reasons I like it so much. I think another big reason I like it is the transformation of the main character - from lawful good to chaotic neutral and even (arguably) all the way down to lawful evil at certain points.
Kenshin_915
Profile Joined July 2010
Canada139 Posts
November 25 2012 08:27 GMT
#1013
[image loading]

I've been waiting for this book to come out, and I just picked it up two weeks ago at my local Chapters finally. Having read all the other Culture novels I'm enjoying this one quite a bit now. I hope to hell Mr banks keeps writing for years to come.
WindWolf
Profile Blog Joined July 2012
Sweden11767 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-11-25 08:34:39
November 25 2012 08:34 GMT
#1014
I started reading City of Dragons by Robin Hobb recently. If you liked Liveship Traders-Trilogy, then the Rain Wild Chronicles is a must-read. It does a nice job of following up some events that happened in Liveship Traders, while also having a good story on its own

(Although I feel that Dragon Keeper and Dragon Haven is the same book split in two halves)
EZ4ENCE
ThomasjServo
Profile Blog Joined May 2012
15244 Posts
November 25 2012 21:29 GMT
#1015
On November 25 2012 11:37 {CC}StealthBlue wrote:
+ Show Spoiler +
[image loading] [image loading]
[centeR][image loading][/centeR
]

Thich Nhat Han is amazing, hope you enjoy it.
sleepingMentat
Profile Blog Joined June 2011
United States35 Posts
November 25 2012 21:46 GMT
#1016
I've been reading the Mars series by Kim Stanley Robinson. Just finished Red Mars and I am starting on Green Mars.

[image loading]
GLaDOS: Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test.
sam!zdat
Profile Blog Joined October 2010
United States5559 Posts
November 25 2012 22:14 GMT
#1017
On November 26 2012 06:46 sleepingMentat wrote:
I've been reading the Mars series by Kim Stanley Robinson. Just finished Red Mars and I am starting on Green Mars.


This is my all time favorite novel, enjoy pts 2 and 3
shikata ga nai
silynxer
Profile Joined April 2006
Germany439 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-11-25 22:43:12
November 25 2012 22:41 GMT
#1018
On November 21 2012 00:03 corumjhaelen wrote:
Show nested quote +
On November 20 2012 23:47 ZapRoffo wrote:
On November 20 2012 08:38 corumjhaelen wrote:
On November 20 2012 08:35 Ysellian wrote:
I'm pretty sure Ender's Game is a book dedicated to a younger audience, right? The topics handled, the training camp, the character's ages, everything is really geared towards the child in you IMO.

Yes of course, I don't disagree. It seems to appeal to some older people though, and I don't really see why.


Ender's Game was way ahead of its time on a couple things though which I think keeps it in place as a significant sci-fi work and not just a YA novel, it has a place alongside stuff like Neuromancer and Snowcrash (while none of them are like brilliant works of literature, it's hard to even say they are well written). Mainly gaming, and gaming in education, and also it totally nailed some parts of the future internet, like the whole idea of blogging and its influence in politics. Also the whole ending twist seems now like an early influence to a whole trend in movies/pop literature/etc..

Also Wuthering Heights is a great choice, in my eyes one of the most underrated novels ever, an amazing personal expression.

Twist endings, or the cheapest manipulation trick ever. I hate them 90% of the time. I won't put that to the credit of Ender's game^^
Ender's game is not a bad book though. It's decently written, keeps you kinda interested, the moral implications are not completely retarded... There are way worst teenage books !
Thanks for the heads up =) That being said, I'm not sure underrated is the word, I mean it's a critically acclaimed book, and at least as a frenchman, it's considered as one of the great novel of the XIX century.

Damn I missed the Ender talk, so I have to necro this. While it was an enjoyable enough read the book always rubbed me the wrong way, especially it's morals concerning actions and intentions. Perhaps the portrayed morals are not completely retarded but they come pretty close to being evil (and not being retarded at being evil is probably even worse than being retarded). Here is a good analysis: http://www4.ncsu.edu/~tenshi/Killer_000.htm (yeah I got it from Wikipedia but he makes very good points and expresses himself better than I could)

Because of thesis woes I got no time to read lately but I'd like to recommend two books people normally wouldn't stumble about:
1. Dino Buzzati's The Tartar Steppe is a bit like a concise version of Mann's The Magic Mountain. I don't want to spoil anything but it's short enough to read without regrets (well perhaps you'll find some regrets about your life after you read it ^^). Mmmh, it's better if you don't read the plot description on Wikipedia I think.
2. Italo Calvino's If on a winter's night a traveler was very enjoyable for me as a bibliophile. Nothing too heavy just fun and innovative.
sam!zdat
Profile Blog Joined October 2010
United States5559 Posts
November 25 2012 22:42 GMT
#1019
^ That Calvino book is brilliant, a really enjoyable read
shikata ga nai
Marathi
Profile Joined July 2011
298 Posts
November 26 2012 23:05 GMT
#1020
Guys I really like reading books about the British SAS, I have read quite a few of them now, so looking for some titles that I might not have read that you can recommend!

SAS books I've read:
+ Show Spoiler +
Bravo Two Zero
Immediate Action
Seven Troop
The Joker
Freefall
First Into Action (SBS)
The Regiment (History of the SAS)
Soldier I
Eye of the Storm
The Quiet Soldier

Might be a couple of others but I have lent a lot to a friend, I will only read non-fiction (although that can be debated )
eSports tees designed by me - http://tinyurl.com/bqmexd9
Prev 1 49 50 51 52 53 58 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Replay Cast
08:00
QMC Community Tournament 1
Liquipedia
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
RuFF_SC2 97
StarCraft: Brood War
Rain 1868
GuemChi 1518
Artosis 629
910 73
Bale 18
ajuk12(nOOB) 17
Terrorterran 3
Dota 2
NeuroSwarm189
febbydoto9
Counter-Strike
taco 527
minikerr16
Super Smash Bros
hungrybox476
Other Games
summit1g8204
Doublelift1979
JimRising 590
C9.Mang0356
Day[9].tv344
PiGStarcraft277
Maynarde112
CosmosSc2 24
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick1026
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream34
[ Show 11 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Hupsaiya 104
• Letter147
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Other Games
• Day9tv344
Upcoming Events
Afreeca Starleague
7h 22m
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
8h 22m
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
21h 22m
Patches Events
1d 13h
The PondCast
2 days
INu's Battles
2 days
Percival vs TBD
TBD vs herO
OSC
2 days
Replay Cast
2 days
OSC
3 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
4 days
[ Show More ]
Sparkling Tuna Cup
5 days
Patches Events
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
HCC Season 3
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.