• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 02:35
CEST 08:35
KST 15:35
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror2[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup8StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)67Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2316
StarCraft 2
General
How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) Back to SC2 after 14 years - Protoss CTRL groups? October World Ranking: herO stays #1, ByuN returns
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ]
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
Fantasy returning? Sagi.gg Launcher Released BW General Discussion PLAYzone Challenge - open offline tour in Prague 20-year-old Valorant player starting StarCraft
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 2v2v2v2 Tournament
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 8400 users

2013 - What are you reading? - Page 52

Forum Index > Closed
Post a Reply
Prev 1 50 51 52 53 54 58 Next
evantrees
Profile Joined May 2010
Canada497 Posts
December 04 2012 21:58 GMT
#1021
currently 1/3 done with soulless, for book to read while eat so far have found it amusing.
Bit of a change after finally finishing the void trilogy.
Which other than one characters sections getting rather annoying I enjoyed though not as well as the earlier commonwealth books, but more Paula and friends was nice.

45 or so pages left in sword arts online vol 4
passable somewhat amusing, will get around to teh second half of the anime after.

and about to start The dusk watchman : twilight reign book 5
[image loading]
a newer fantasy series I've rather enjoyed.


and will probably start Cross the Stars (to finish off the hammerverse novels) and Lucifer vol 4 sometime after that.
rejection and peace tiramisu. I think that went well.
sam!zdat
Profile Blog Joined October 2010
United States5559 Posts
December 04 2012 22:04 GMT
#1022
Anybody read this book Old Man's War by John Scalzi?

How the hell did this get nominated for a hugo
shikata ga nai
TrickyGilligan
Profile Joined September 2010
United States641 Posts
December 04 2012 22:06 GMT
#1023
On November 25 2012 17:27 Kenshin_915 wrote:

The Hydrogen Sonota

I've been waiting for this book to come out, and I just picked it up two weeks ago at my local Chapters finally. Having read all the other Culture novels I'm enjoying this one quite a bit now. I hope to hell Mr banks keeps writing for years to come.


Damnit, I can't keep up with him. Not used to authors that I really like actually releasing books regularly...

To anyone who's read it, how does it compare to some of the other recent Culture books? Still awesome I take it?
"I've had a perfectly wonderful evening. But this wasn't it." -Groucho Marx
black_ICE
Profile Joined November 2011
United States59 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-12-09 20:40:40
December 09 2012 20:40 GMT
#1024
On November 20 2012 16:59 ShrykLdr wrote:
House of Leaves is what I'm reading now, and it is arguably one of the greatest books of all time! A quasi-horror novel that really just has you constantly thinking through the entire book, and basically demands you re-read it later. The one thing though is that it is completely mandatory to have the illustrated version



I've tried several times to read House of Leaves, but can't get through it. I just got too distracted when the narration switched.

So I gave up (again, for now) and now reading
[image loading]
"We turn ourselves in now, they'll give us 20 years in the electric chair." - Darren Roskow
ThomasjServo
Profile Blog Joined May 2012
15244 Posts
December 09 2012 20:47 GMT
#1025
Heard about it via this youtube clip on reddit earlier this week. I was so excited about it, I ran out and got the hardcover edition which I never do.

[image loading]

Cannot put it down. No lie I have run into walls at work while walking to the cafeteria.



Here is the video for anyone that is interested.
adi_hsd
Profile Joined June 2011
Romania74 Posts
December 09 2012 20:55 GMT
#1026
Have never read anything by Kafka until Methamorphosis and was a little bored one evening and I picked up the e-book for this. Holy shit now i MUST read all his work, started reading The Castle and have The Trial next on the list.
I highly recommend this short novel:
[image loading]
{CC}StealthBlue
Profile Blog Joined January 2003
United States41117 Posts
December 09 2012 20:57 GMT
#1027
[image loading]
"Smokey, this is not 'Nam, this is bowling. There are rules."
sam!zdat
Profile Blog Joined October 2010
United States5559 Posts
December 09 2012 20:57 GMT
#1028
Make sure you read kafka's short fiction as well. Get a collection and read through that. Especially "In The Penal Colony," man what a sick story. I would recommend saving The Castle for last, as it is incomplete.
shikata ga nai
ThomasjServo
Profile Blog Joined May 2012
15244 Posts
December 10 2012 20:11 GMT
#1029
On December 10 2012 05:57 {CC}StealthBlue wrote:
[image loading]

I saw this when I went to pick up my latest book, but only saw it in hardcover. So far does it seem like it is worth that amount of money?
{CC}StealthBlue
Profile Blog Joined January 2003
United States41117 Posts
December 11 2012 01:12 GMT
#1030
On December 11 2012 05:11 ThomasjServo wrote:
Show nested quote +
On December 10 2012 05:57 {CC}StealthBlue wrote:
[image loading]

I saw this when I went to pick up my latest book, but only saw it in hardcover. So far does it seem like it is worth that amount of money?


I'd say wait for the paperback edition.
"Smokey, this is not 'Nam, this is bowling. There are rules."
farvacola
Profile Blog Joined January 2011
United States18869 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-12-11 08:14:31
December 11 2012 05:54 GMT
#1031
[image loading]

The only reason I read this (and the first 3) is because it is my assigned research, but I'll admit I enjoy having a well read background in Christian Theology. Would not recommend to anyone but a sadist or a devout Reform Christian
"when the Dead Kennedys found out they had skinhead fans, they literally wrote a song titled 'Nazi Punks Fuck Off'"
wei2coolman
Profile Joined November 2010
United States60033 Posts
December 11 2012 06:00 GMT
#1032
I have infinite jest, but haven't had time to read it. I'll probably start on it during winter break, it'll be the first time I've read a book for my enjoyment in like 3 years, last book was catch 22, >.<
liftlift > tsm
Kenshin_915
Profile Joined July 2010
Canada139 Posts
December 11 2012 07:03 GMT
#1033
On December 05 2012 07:06 TrickyGilligan wrote:
Show nested quote +
On November 25 2012 17:27 Kenshin_915 wrote:

The Hydrogen Sonota

I've been waiting for this book to come out, and I just picked it up two weeks ago at my local Chapters finally. Having read all the other Culture novels I'm enjoying this one quite a bit now. I hope to hell Mr banks keeps writing for years to come.


Damnit, I can't keep up with him. Not used to authors that I really like actually releasing books regularly...

To anyone who's read it, how does it compare to some of the other recent Culture books? Still awesome I take it?


I'm on page 360~ out of 520~ and I'm enjoying it quite a bit so far. It deals with a civilization (The Gzilt) that was one of the founding members of the Culture that's about to Sublime. An event occurs that might interfere with the Gzilt Subliming, so the Culture has to decide how much to help/interfere.

I will say the book is lacking action until later on, but learning more about the Sublime, which is never gone into in other books is pretty cool. It has quite a bit of Mind dialogue like Excession (Well, more than most of the other books), but other than that I can't really think how to compare it to the other books. I'm enjoying it quite a bit, and I can't wait to see how the story pans out, because it's hard to tell how things will develop.
Lipko
Profile Joined December 2012
Hungary22 Posts
December 11 2012 07:57 GMT
#1034
Just finished reading Asimov's Foundation series.
It was a great read, I suggest it to anyone who likes the science fiction even a little bit.
Time to start reading the Robot series.
Hamsterdam
Profile Joined September 2010
New Zealand59 Posts
December 11 2012 08:27 GMT
#1035
On December 11 2012 16:57 Lipko wrote:
Just finished reading Asimov's Foundation series.
It was a great read, I suggest it to anyone who likes the science fiction even a little bit.
Time to start reading the Robot series.


I just finished the first in the series, Foundation. Honestly I was disappointed with the first one, after having read (and loved) the Dune books, up to Heretics of Dune, which I left in a hotel unfinished T.T. Foundation is a good novel, but it seemed to me to lack the depth of character and setting that other science fiction worlds (read: Dune) have in abundance.

In other reading news I just started Ghostwritten, by David Mitchell, and have so far found to to be fucking excellent. David Mitchell is just a fantastic writer.

Next up I have either Animal Farm, Brave New World or maybe finish off The Dead Hand by David Hoffman, which I started, liked, and then put back down, and I'm not really sure why.
sam!zdat
Profile Blog Joined October 2010
United States5559 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-12-11 08:30:25
December 11 2012 08:30 GMT
#1036
On December 11 2012 17:27 Hamsterdam wrote:
it seemed to me to lack the depth of character and setting that other science fiction worlds (read: Dune) have in abundance.


who needs emotions when you have psychohistory

edit: brave new world, out of your options
shikata ga nai
Crescens
Profile Joined October 2012
Bhutan19 Posts
December 11 2012 08:32 GMT
#1037
[image loading]
Main read at the moment
sam!zdat
Profile Blog Joined October 2010
United States5559 Posts
December 11 2012 08:36 GMT
#1038
Oh man, that brings back memories. My dad read that book to me when I was a little kid. The temple prostitute part was a little weird.
shikata ga nai
Lipko
Profile Joined December 2012
Hungary22 Posts
December 11 2012 09:05 GMT
#1039
On December 11 2012 17:27 Hamsterdam wrote:
I just finished the first in the series, Foundation. Honestly I was disappointed with the first one, after having read (and loved) the Dune books, up to Heretics of Dune, which I left in a hotel unfinished T.T. Foundation is a good novel, but it seemed to me to lack the depth of character and setting that other science fiction worlds (read: Dune) have in abundance.

In other reading news I just started Ghostwritten, by David Mitchell, and have so far found to to be fucking excellent. David Mitchell is just a fantastic writer.

Next up I have either Animal Farm, Brave New World or maybe finish off The Dead Hand by David Hoffman, which I started, liked, and then put back down, and I'm not really sure why.



I think the main reason of the lack the depth of characters are the incredibly long timespan of the whole story. These are just short stories, novels about the rising of the Foundation. There is only one reoccuring character in the whole series but it just manipulates from the back. I also read Dune(and loved it) until the God Emperor of Dune. These books tell a story of one family, through 600 pages, therefore we get to know the characters so much more. And Letho also lives for thousands of years in his sandworm form and the main character of 2 books so we get to know him. Asimov's novels are about 100-200 pages long and he also has a strange writing style. In his books there are a lot of dialogues but little to no description of the setting. The whole story is carried by conversation. It takes time to get used to it.
I still suggest to read not just the Foundation, but the whole Foundation trilogy(love the Mule). It is even better to read all the 7 Foundation books, together those books connects everything, the whole story becomes much clearer(although there are some differences between some, not-so-important things because he wrote the original trilogy 30 years before
My favourite of the Foundation series was the Foundation and Empire.
KristofferAG
Profile Blog Joined April 2011
Norway25712 Posts
December 11 2012 09:09 GMT
#1040
Just finished Haruki Murakami's After Dark. Really amazing writing by this guy. Not entirey sure what I'll read next, but chances are it's 1Q84, another Murakami book.
@KristofferAG | http://vestkyststoy.bandcamp.com | last.fm/user/KristofferAG
Prev 1 50 51 52 53 54 58 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Replay Cast
08:00
Continental Nation League S1
Liquipedia
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
NeuroSwarm 253
ProTech127
Nina 113
StarCraft: Brood War
Mong 185
Dewaltoss 132
Bale 35
sSak 32
ZergMaN 21
NotJumperer 11
Noble 11
Icarus 7
League of Legends
JimRising 652
Other Games
summit1g10849
Sick200
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick793
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream42
[ Show 12 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Letter145
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
League of Legends
• Rush1237
• Lourlo1110
• Stunt622
Upcoming Events
Afreeca Starleague
3h 25m
Rush vs Light
WardiTV Weekly
4h 25m
Monday Night Weeklies
9h 25m
Replay Cast
16h 25m
Afreeca Starleague
1d 3h
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
1d 4h
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
1d 17h
The PondCast
3 days
INu's Battles
3 days
Replay Cast
4 days
[ Show More ]
BSL: Ladder Tournament
5 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
6 days
Patches Events
6 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.