• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 21:59
CEST 03:59
KST 10:59
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror2[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup8StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)67Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2316
StarCraft 2
General
How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) Back to SC2 after 14 years - Protoss CTRL groups? October World Ranking: herO stays #1, ByuN returns
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ]
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
Sagi.gg Launcher Released Fantasy returning? BW General Discussion PLAYzone Challenge - open offline tour in Prague 20-year-old Valorant player starting StarCraft
Tourneys
[Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 2v2v2v2 Tournament [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 7085 users

2013 - What are you reading? - Page 54

Forum Index > Closed
Post a Reply
Prev 1 52 53 54 55 56 58 Next
corumjhaelen
Profile Blog Joined October 2009
France6884 Posts
December 11 2012 22:30 GMT
#1061
The first translator of Kafka in French, Alexandre Vialatte is known for his absurdish humor.
‎numquam se plus agere quam nihil cum ageret, numquam minus solum esse quam cum solus esset
HeavenS
Profile Joined August 2004
Colombia2259 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-12-12 06:42:15
December 12 2012 06:38 GMT
#1062
Finished Imajica a little while back and hadn't read anything else until recently. Imagica is good, a little weird but i found myself getting very immersed in it, typical Clive Barker. If you want some fantasy that's not your typical fantasy definitely give it a look. It covers a bit of magic, doppelgangers, bizarre sex, murder, and theology.
Edit: wait i dont think i hyped this book up enough lol....it is fucking EPIC. Must read for every fantasy or sci fi lover.

[image loading]

I also just finished Ready Player One by Ernest Cline. I really enjoyed it! It was a fun little story about a dystopian future in which humanity has fucked itself so bad that they choose to immerse themselves in a virtual reality called "the oasis". They live there and work there and study there, obviously there are problems in this world also, and a huge competition set up by the Oasis' main designer before he died, to the winner of which goes ownership of the Oasis itself. Very fun read, especially for us gamers lol.

[image loading]

Contemplating what to read next, sci fi to be sure. i tried to get into jim butcher but i cant get into fools moon. The first one was okay but not that great. Supposedly they get better but i guess im not a big fan of werewolves and vampires and all that.....idk. Maybe ill check out Dune since i have never read it, or Red Mars or Hyperion or Wheel of Time series....

Oh and to the poster that said he doesnt think Old Man's War deserved any awards....youre crazy. Scalzi is the shit man, and that whole series is good. Very similar to enders game i think.
Im cooler than the other side of the pillow.
nunez
Profile Blog Joined February 2011
Norway4003 Posts
December 12 2012 07:53 GMT
#1063
maybe consider the foundation series as well if you haven't already read it. dune gets thumbs up from me.
conspired against by a confederacy of dunces.
Raisauce
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
Canada864 Posts
December 14 2012 03:04 GMT
#1064
I also can't decide on which book to read. I was hoping to read something similar to the Song of Ice and Fire series. It's either The Kingkiller Chroncile, Wheel of Time, Foundation Series or Ender's Shadow
Spiffeh
Profile Joined May 2010
United States830 Posts
December 14 2012 03:18 GMT
#1065
Gonna be reading "Losing My Virginity" by The-One-And-Only Sir Richard Branson tomorrow for the first time. Basically a 600-page biography about his life and entrepreneurial endeavors. Heard a lot of great things about it. Hope to enjoy it all during the weekend!
Crescens
Profile Joined October 2012
Bhutan19 Posts
December 14 2012 06:54 GMT
#1066
On December 14 2012 12:04 Raisauce wrote:
I also can't decide on which book to read. I was hoping to read something similar to the Song of Ice and Fire series. It's either The Kingkiller Chroncile, Wheel of Time, Foundation Series or Ender's Shadow

I cannot report on any of the other books, but Ender's Shadow I found a rather absorbing read. Bearing your indecision in mind, focusing on that book first may be best, since I believe you will enjoy it and will finish it quickly, leaving you open to repost this inquiry with one fewer member vying for preeminence.
sam!zdat
Profile Blog Joined October 2010
United States5559 Posts
December 14 2012 06:57 GMT
#1067
Is Ender's Shadow the first Bean book? If so yeah it's quite good.
shikata ga nai
Crescens
Profile Joined October 2012
Bhutan19 Posts
December 14 2012 07:06 GMT
#1068
On December 14 2012 15:57 sam!zdat wrote:
Is Ender's Shadow the first Bean book? If so yeah it's quite good.

Yes, follows Bean in chronological parallel to Ender's Game. The only Orson Scott Card book I've read, I found it really enjoyable.
Xxio
Profile Blog Joined July 2009
Canada5565 Posts
December 14 2012 07:17 GMT
#1069
Foundation is a very long series and drags on at the end. I became bored after the first 5 books.
KTY
LazerApe
Profile Joined March 2010
Sweden206 Posts
December 14 2012 07:18 GMT
#1070
have read: the time machine, A game of thrones, the communist mannifest
reading: the origin of family. private property and the state
reading next: the hobbit
sam!zdat
Profile Blog Joined October 2010
United States5559 Posts
December 14 2012 07:18 GMT
#1071
Foundation is historically important, but has not aged well
shikata ga nai
sam!zdat
Profile Blog Joined October 2010
United States5559 Posts
December 14 2012 07:20 GMT
#1072
On December 14 2012 16:18 LazerApe wrote:
the communist mannifest


If I can, I want to offer my opinion that that is a fairly poor and generally unrepresentative minor work in Marx's oeuvre, so I would encourage you not to form too much of an opinion of Marx from that reading. It does, however, give you some insight into the political tenor of his day.
shikata ga nai
LazerApe
Profile Joined March 2010
Sweden206 Posts
December 14 2012 08:42 GMT
#1073
On December 14 2012 16:20 sam!zdat wrote:
Show nested quote +
On December 14 2012 16:18 LazerApe wrote:
the communist mannifest


If I can, I want to offer my opinion that that is a fairly poor and generally unrepresentative minor work in Marx's oeuvre, so I would encourage you not to form too much of an opinion of Marx from that reading. It does, however, give you some insight into the political tenor of his day.


ok. it was certainly an interresting read. do you have any suggestions on his other work , was thinking of reading capital next.
FlamingForce
Profile Joined September 2011
Netherlands701 Posts
December 14 2012 09:00 GMT
#1074
I read Yahtzee Croshaw's "JAM"

It was pretty enjoyable.
Seqkat
Profile Joined April 2011
United Kingdom29 Posts
December 14 2012 09:25 GMT
#1075
For those struggling with Foundation, I actually MUCH preferred Asimov's series from Caves of Steel - the detective in it is fantastic, and I loved the worlds it built. Foundation is often the set that people remark on the most, but really I didn't like it as much.

I'm currently reading Ian Esslemont's fill-ins for the Malazan Empire series - on Return of the Crimson Guard right now. I really loved Erikson's books, finding Esslemont's kind of less engaging in comparison, but they have enough good bits to keep me going. Once I am done with these I need to go back to my list of 'classics' - Anna Karenina and Kafka's Metamorphosis are both in there, so seeing recommendations from others in this thread has helped bump them up in priority! For my thesis, I am reading the Trachiniae and Medea now until late January at least...
Dirkzor
Profile Blog Joined June 2011
Denmark1944 Posts
December 14 2012 12:58 GMT
#1076
On December 14 2012 12:04 Raisauce wrote:
I also can't decide on which book to read. I was hoping to read something similar to the Song of Ice and Fire series. It's either The Kingkiller Chroncile, Wheel of Time, Foundation Series or Ender's Shadow


Easy choice (From my perspective that is). Go with the Kingkiller chronicles. Best read in quite a while. I read the first 10-12 books of The wheel of time quite some years back but didn't really enjoy them much. To confusing storyline in the end. The first 3-5 was the best iirc.


The only problem with the kingkiller chronicles is that there are only 2 books so far. =/

Just finished The Hobbit (again). Must say that the book doesn't really age well. I read it the first time back before the lotr movies was made. It is a good story but the stuff is just not in-depth enough anymore.
"HOW THE FUCK ARE YOU ON TOP AGAIN???? HOW DO YOU KEEP DOING THIS????" -Julmust (also, thats what she said)
sam!zdat
Profile Blog Joined October 2010
United States5559 Posts
December 14 2012 16:33 GMT
#1077
On December 14 2012 17:42 LazerApe wrote:
Show nested quote +
On December 14 2012 16:20 sam!zdat wrote:
On December 14 2012 16:18 LazerApe wrote:
the communist mannifest


If I can, I want to offer my opinion that that is a fairly poor and generally unrepresentative minor work in Marx's oeuvre, so I would encourage you not to form too much of an opinion of Marx from that reading. It does, however, give you some insight into the political tenor of his day.


ok. it was certainly an interresting read. do you have any suggestions on his other work , was thinking of reading capital next.


If you want to understand Capital, Vol 1, I would recommend watching David Harvey's lectures on it: http://davidharvey.org/reading-capital/

He does a pretty good job of walking you through what's going on. If you were a true badass you could read the book along with the lectures, but the lectures alone would be sufficient to give you a pretty good idea about what the book is about.
shikata ga nai
sam!zdat
Profile Blog Joined October 2010
United States5559 Posts
December 14 2012 16:34 GMT
#1078
On December 14 2012 18:25 Seqkat wrote:
For those struggling with Foundation, I actually MUCH preferred Asimov's series from Caves of Steel - the detective in it is fantastic, and I loved the worlds it built. Foundation is often the set that people remark on the most, but really I didn't like it as much.


Oh, yes, certainly, those books were written rather later and he was less of a terrible writer then.
shikata ga nai
Enki
Profile Blog Joined January 2007
United States2548 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-12-19 03:17:17
December 19 2012 03:15 GMT
#1079
Last Read:
[image loading]
A Storm of Swords - I stopped about halfway into it last time so I recently decided to finish it up. Not to spoil anything but I will say I ended up pretty happy in what happened to characters I loved/hated. Best so far in the series but I feel really burned out on it right now. Will be awhile before I read AFFC


Reading Now:
[image loading]
Something Like an Autobiography - Honestly didn't know what to think. It started off pretty dry but I am a good ways into it now and it is pretty interesting. It's basically a collection of short stories as he is growing up and it's well written. I also never knew he was a bad student when it came to math and science and hated school most of the time, or that he practiced Kendo when he was young. This is a summary of his life before he started making movies (at least that's what it says is his foreword) so its useless if you want to learn about his film-making. Would definitely recommend this to Kurosawa fans.


Reading Next:
[image loading]
Got Fight? - I had a craving to read a book on MMA since I am a big fan of it. Alot of people around the MMA circle say that this is one of the better books on the subject, so I will try this next.
"Practice, practice, practice. And when you're not practicing you should be practicing. It's the only way to get better. The only way." I run the Smix Fanclub!
Days
Profile Joined February 2010
United States219 Posts
December 19 2012 04:31 GMT
#1080
I was wondering if anyone here has read and enjoyed the work of Wilbur Smith? Birds of Prey and Monsoon were one of my favorite books of his long series of the Courtney family.
We buy things we don't need, with money we don't have, to impress people we don't like.
Prev 1 52 53 54 55 56 58 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Replay Cast
23:00
Continental Nation League S1
CranKy Ducklings120
Liquipedia
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
RuFF_SC2 162
ProTech148
StarCraft: Brood War
Dewaltoss 311
Bale 19
Terrorterran 19
Dota 2
NeuroSwarm229
League of Legends
Doublelift5843
JimRising 738
Counter-Strike
minikerr26
taco 11
Other Games
summit1g12146
C9.Mang0347
PiLiPiLi12
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick1069
BasetradeTV164
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream46
[ Show 11 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• CranKy Ducklings SOOP160
• Letter147
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• Pr0nogo 1
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Upcoming Events
Afreeca Starleague
8h 1m
Rush vs Light
WardiTV Weekly
9h 1m
Monday Night Weeklies
14h 1m
Replay Cast
21h 1m
Afreeca Starleague
1d 8h
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
1d 9h
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
1d 22h
The PondCast
3 days
INu's Battles
3 days
Replay Cast
4 days
[ Show More ]
BSL: Ladder Tournament
5 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
6 days
Patches Events
6 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.