• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 14:45
CEST 20:45
KST 03:45
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror2[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup8StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)67Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2316
StarCraft 2
General
How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) Back to SC2 after 14 years - Protoss CTRL groups? October World Ranking: herO stays #1, ByuN returns
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ]
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
Fantasy returning? Sagi.gg Launcher Released BW General Discussion PLAYzone Challenge - open offline tour in Prague 20-year-old Valorant player starting StarCraft
Tourneys
[Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 2v2v2v2 Tournament [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 9757 users

2013 - What are you reading? - Page 56

Forum Index > Closed
Post a Reply
Prev 1 54 55 56 57 58 Next
decado90
Profile Blog Joined December 2012
United States480 Posts
December 30 2012 06:43 GMT
#1101
[image loading]
"Be formless like water"- Bruce Lee
Prugelhugel
Profile Joined February 2012
Austria637 Posts
December 30 2012 22:41 GMT
#1102
[image loading]


Not that easy to read since English isn't my mother tongue but I really like it.
"This map definitly needs more rocks" - No SC2 player ever
{CC}StealthBlue
Profile Blog Joined January 2003
United States41117 Posts
December 30 2012 22:51 GMT
#1103
[image loading][image loading][image loading]
"Smokey, this is not 'Nam, this is bowling. There are rules."
johnnywup
Profile Blog Joined August 2010
United States3858 Posts
January 02 2013 02:03 GMT
#1104
Just finished reading The Stars My Destination. LOVED it.

Next few on my list is Good Omens, Snow Crash, and the Demolished Man.
sam!zdat
Profile Blog Joined October 2010
United States5559 Posts
January 02 2013 02:04 GMT
#1105
On January 02 2013 11:03 johnnywup wrote:
Just finished reading The Stars My Destination. LOVED it.

Next few on my list is Good Omens, Snow Crash, and the Demolished Man.


You sir are in for a good time :D

The opening scene of TSMD will haunt me forever
shikata ga nai
xarchaosx
Profile Joined February 2012
United States89 Posts
January 04 2013 21:27 GMT
#1106
just finished reading apocalypse z: the beginning of the end by Manel Louerier for some light reading while on break from school. What a good quick read for those zombie enthusiasts out there. I cannot wait for the other 2 books of his to be translated into English (others being in Spanish). Now I'm on to read 1Q84... Will be back in awhile with what's next...
ZapRoffo
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
United States5544 Posts
January 04 2013 22:19 GMT
#1107
Not making it through The Mill on the Floss, I'm like, OK I get how this writing is going, it's pretty good but there's no way I'm making it through 500 more pages of this.

Starting The Ox-Bow Incident by Walter Van Tilburg Clark, which is a very different feel, a lot more unspoken things and implications you have to pick up about the characters.
Yeah, well, you know, that's just like, your opinion man
hp.Shell
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
United States2527 Posts
January 08 2013 04:53 GMT
#1108
It's a lot easier for me to read conversation online than books in physical form. I'm the type of person that likes to have something in his hands to fidget with so holding a book is tough because there's a lot of time between page turns. I come from a long line of roll-your-own smokers so the keyboard+mouse is infinitely more comfortable for me.

That said, I've never been much of a book reader. However I have a few role models on youtube who are quite well-spoken, and I find myself pausing in spoken conversation as I search for the right word, so I'm making it a point to read a lot of books this 2013. I also have some small aspirations of writing a bit of science fiction at some time in my life.

I got two books in December for my birthday and decorated-pine-tree-day, and am borrowing one from a friend, so I'm currently reading three books. They are:

[image loading]
The Casual Vacancy - J.K.Rowling (about 30 pages in)
This book is radically different from what I typically read. The premise is, one of the local town councillors dies at 44 and leaves a government seat open. There are a lot of characters already introduced, including family members and relations of the particular councillors, Potential for a lot of high school drama and a developing relationship between minor characters.

[image loading]
1491: New Revelations of the Americas Before Columbus - Charles C. Mann (about 30 pages in)
New research since the 1970s and 80s has completely changed the way archaeologists and anthropologists view The New World pre-Columbus. Old beliefs that the denizens of the Americas were mostly nomadic and lived lightly off the land will be shattered, in favor of new information supporting evidence of great civilizations rivaling Rome in size and scope.

[image loading]
Dune - Frank Herbert (about 10 pages in)
I've always wanted to read this series. It's apparently science fiction's supreme masterpiece saga in terms of world lore. The main character is about to travel to Dune, so there will be space travel. It seems my visions of the book as "Star Wars had Luke never left Tatooine" are completely false. It's nice to finally pick it up and have it in my hands.

As for the order I'll probably finish them, TCV -> D -> 1491 is the current idea. It's fun to bounce between them when I get bored.
Please PM me with any songs you like that you think I haven't heard before!
Unshapely
Profile Joined November 2012
140 Posts
January 08 2013 05:36 GMT
#1109
The title of this thread has aged. Perhaps a new thread for the new year is in order.

It would be better if an administrator could modify the `2012' to `2013'. It would be much more in alignment with the discussions of new books from a new year.
That is not dead which can eternal lie; and with strange aeons even death may die.
banjoetheredskin
Profile Blog Joined November 2012
United States744 Posts
January 08 2013 05:44 GMT
#1110
It's a classic, which made me think I wouldn't like it, but Lord of the Flies by William Golding is fantastic, and I know I can say this because the StarCraft community doesn't get upset about violence. Warning, it is about 11th grade level, so if you're the type of person who read Harry Potter until you were a freshman, no you probably aren't on the right level to read this.
Writer#1 CJ fan | http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/starcraft-2/508947-wcs-dreamhack-austin-interviews
ZapRoffo
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
United States5544 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-01-08 06:52:46
January 08 2013 06:41 GMT
#1111
On January 08 2013 13:53 hp.Shell wrote:
It's a lot easier for me to read conversation online than books in physical form. I'm the type of person that likes to have something in his hands to fidget with so holding a book is tough because there's a lot of time between page turns. I come from a long line of roll-your-own smokers so the keyboard+mouse is infinitely more comfortable for me.

That said, I've never been much of a book reader. However I have a few role models on youtube who are quite well-spoken, and I find myself pausing in spoken conversation as I search for the right word, so I'm making it a point to read a lot of books this 2013. I also have some small aspirations of writing a bit of science fiction at some time in my life.


Use kindle application on the PC (or other device of choice), which is free, and the books are usually less pricey than physical books too (unless you are getting the books secondhand or from a library) and tons of classics that are free public domain (look on Project Gutenberg). I noticed from being a major fanfiction reader when I was younger, I stay more engaged reading on the computer, playing with highlighting words and sets of words and scrolling all the time. Also I attribute some to the stimulation from the screen being lit (although so it's not overpowering I do the sepia option).
Yeah, well, you know, that's just like, your opinion man
johnnywup
Profile Blog Joined August 2010
United States3858 Posts
January 09 2013 05:36 GMT
#1112
On January 08 2013 13:53 hp.Shell wrote:
[image loading]
Dune - Frank Herbert (about 10 pages in)
I've always wanted to read this series. It's apparently science fiction's supreme masterpiece saga in terms of world lore. The main character is about to travel to Dune, so there will be space travel. It seems my visions of the book as "Star Wars had Luke never left Tatooine" are completely false. It's nice to finally pick it up and have it in my hands.

As for the order I'll probably finish them, TCV -> D -> 1491 is the current idea. It's fun to bounce between them when I get bored.


Ahh i've always wanted to read dune. I'm a huge science fiction fan, but it's really intimidating for me to start a series :/
MutantGenepool
Profile Joined October 2011
Australia115 Posts
January 09 2013 06:04 GMT
#1113
Reading WoT# 14. A Memory of Light.
http://www.brandonsanderson.com/book/A-Memory-of-Light/

Next is The Left Hand of God by Paul Hoffman. http://www.hittheroadjacq.com/Review.php?Title=The Left Hand of God&Author=Paul Hoffman&Publisher=&ID=177

Just ordered. Mistborn Book One of Final Empire by Brandon Sanderson
http://www.brandonsanderson.com/book/mistborn
EGRevival (Zerg) has more marines than Polt. ROOTNathanias
Pathology
Profile Blog Joined March 2010
Canada132 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-01-09 08:12:14
January 09 2013 08:11 GMT
#1114
Starting the new year with Warhammer 40k Horus Heresey series in no particular order. Was always interested in warhammer books but never got into it. Seems interesting so far. As for reading dune...

On January 09 2013 14:36 johnnywup wrote:
Show nested quote +
On January 08 2013 13:53 hp.Shell wrote:
[image loading]
Dune - Frank Herbert (about 10 pages in)
I've always wanted to read this series. It's apparently science fiction's supreme masterpiece saga in terms of world lore. The main character is about to travel to Dune, so there will be space travel. It seems my visions of the book as "Star Wars had Luke never left Tatooine" are completely false. It's nice to finally pick it up and have it in my hands.

As for the order I'll probably finish them, TCV -> D -> 1491 is the current idea. It's fun to bounce between them when I get bored.


Ahh i've always wanted to read dune. I'm a huge science fiction fan, but it's really intimidating for me to start a series :/



Please do it. The prequels to the series as well as the later novels that cinch everything off are done by Mr Herbert's son and a co Author (Kevin Anderson I think?). They have a much different feel but I gobbled them up regardless because I love the universe. The first Dune book to me was the best. The others were all enjoyable for different reasons but the first captured my imagination and still hasn't let go. It might be intimidating but at the very least give the first novel a chance and see where you go from there :D
No rest for the wicked
ZapRoffo
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
United States5544 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-01-09 18:02:37
January 09 2013 17:58 GMT
#1115
On January 09 2013 14:36 johnnywup wrote:
Show nested quote +
On January 08 2013 13:53 hp.Shell wrote:
[image loading]
Dune - Frank Herbert (about 10 pages in)
I've always wanted to read this series. It's apparently science fiction's supreme masterpiece saga in terms of world lore. The main character is about to travel to Dune, so there will be space travel. It seems my visions of the book as "Star Wars had Luke never left Tatooine" are completely false. It's nice to finally pick it up and have it in my hands.

As for the order I'll probably finish them, TCV -> D -> 1491 is the current idea. It's fun to bounce between them when I get bored.


Ahh i've always wanted to read dune. I'm a huge science fiction fan, but it's really intimidating for me to start a series :/


Reading the whole series isn't really a requirement, the first book stands on it's own quite well and is the real sci-fi classic. Just read Dune and then see if you want to read more. My dad who recommended it to me first said it goes way downhill and basically only recommended the first one to me so I haven't gotten to any of the others yet. But the first one at least is required reading for sci-fi fans.

And reading the post above mine makes me want to read them a little less cause from what I've read of Kevin J. Anderson in the Star Wars universe, he's a pretty poor writer.
Yeah, well, you know, that's just like, your opinion man
ralffriend
Profile Joined March 2012
Germany112 Posts
January 09 2013 23:32 GMT
#1116
finished "the wizard of Oz", I didn´t have the chance to read it as a child and have to admit that i enjoyed every page as an adult. It is really refreshing to read such simple sentences and it is still a funny book

also finished:[image loading]
i can only admire him for what he has done and thank him that he shares all his insights and all of his experience
reading atm:
[image loading]
think about everything, never regret anything - this is how i live my life and montaigne did that 450years ago too
this book is more a biographie about him but still very enjoyable to read

his writing is not about how you should live, its more about how you live. Which means you have to reflect the way you live and change yourself(or remain as you are) instead of followin advices of someone who tells you how to live
Pathology
Profile Blog Joined March 2010
Canada132 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-01-10 05:18:14
January 10 2013 05:15 GMT
#1117
+ Show Spoiler +
On January 10 2013 02:58 ZapRoffo wrote:
Show nested quote +
On January 09 2013 14:36 johnnywup wrote:
On January 08 2013 13:53 hp.Shell wrote:
[image loading]
Dune - Frank Herbert (about 10 pages in)
I've always wanted to read this series. It's apparently science fiction's supreme masterpiece saga in terms of world lore. The main character is about to travel to Dune, so there will be space travel. It seems my visions of the book as "Star Wars had Luke never left Tatooine" are completely false. It's nice to finally pick it up and have it in my hands.

As for the order I'll probably finish them, TCV -> D -> 1491 is the current idea. It's fun to bounce between them when I get bored.


Ahh i've always wanted to read dune. I'm a huge science fiction fan, but it's really intimidating for me to start a series :/


Reading the whole series isn't really a requirement, the first book stands on it's own quite well and is the real sci-fi classic. Just read Dune and then see if you want to read more. My dad who recommended it to me first said it goes way downhill and basically only recommended the first one to me so I haven't gotten to any of the others yet. But the first one at least is required reading for sci-fi fans.

And reading the post above mine makes me want to read them a little less cause from what I've read of Kevin J. Anderson in the Star Wars universe, he's a pretty poor writer.


The prequels and the last few books that conclude the series are of a completely different writing style(obviously with different authors). They definitely lost out on the quality that made me fall in love with Dune. Reminds me of plots from action shows on TV where everything is spoon fed to the viewer. Very simple and sometimes clumsy delivery of the plot and characters. Some of the books after Dune (still by Frank Herbert) are different but I still love them. Dune itself though is the real gem and should not be overlooked by any sci-fi fan.

*edit* to the poster above, I picked up that book "How to Live" and was so drawn into it that I bought it and gave it away as a christmas gift. Not sure if that makes sense...
No rest for the wicked
itkovian
Profile Blog Joined March 2011
United States1763 Posts
January 10 2013 20:20 GMT
#1118
On January 08 2013 14:44 banjoetheredskin wrote:
It's a classic, which made me think I wouldn't like it, but Lord of the Flies by William Golding is fantastic, and I know I can say this because the StarCraft community doesn't get upset about violence. Warning, it is about 11th grade level, so if you're the type of person who read Harry Potter until you were a freshman, no you probably aren't on the right level to read this.


lol. Lord of the Flies isn't that dense. It was a pretty easy read. If you could read Harry Potter, you could read Lord of the Flies.
=)=
{CC}StealthBlue
Profile Blog Joined January 2003
United States41117 Posts
January 10 2013 21:22 GMT
#1119
After watching Colbert last night, fantastic read!

[image loading]
"Smokey, this is not 'Nam, this is bowling. There are rules."
p4NDemik
Profile Blog Joined January 2008
United States13896 Posts
January 11 2013 00:34 GMT
#1120
On January 11 2013 05:20 itkovian wrote:
Show nested quote +
On January 08 2013 14:44 banjoetheredskin wrote:
It's a classic, which made me think I wouldn't like it, but Lord of the Flies by William Golding is fantastic, and I know I can say this because the StarCraft community doesn't get upset about violence. Warning, it is about 11th grade level, so if you're the type of person who read Harry Potter until you were a freshman, no you probably aren't on the right level to read this.

lol. Lord of the Flies isn't that dense. It was a pretty easy read. If you could read Harry Potter, you could read Lord of the Flies.

Definitely, I read it in 9th grade. I'd say a large number of kids in junior high could tear through that book as well.
Moderator
Prev 1 54 55 56 57 58 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 15m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
JuggernautJason224
BRAT_OK 60
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 14617
BeSt 367
Mini 233
Dewaltoss 149
Mind 90
Zeus 50
hero 44
Hyun 41
ToSsGirL 26
Bale 25
[ Show more ]
NaDa 20
PianO 19
Sacsri 5
Dota 2
qojqva3091
420jenkins473
Counter-Strike
fl0m4274
Heroes of the Storm
Grubby5698
Khaldor1260
Liquid`Hasu1101
MindelVK16
Other Games
summit1g2322
FrodaN1815
B2W.Neo794
byalli401
Hui .239
QueenE84
Railgan56
Mew2King35
ToD1
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick1139
BasetradeTV215
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream46
StarCraft 2
angryscii 24
[ Show 17 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Adnapsc2 34
• Reevou 8
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• 80smullet 24
• FirePhoenix7
• niya90s 2
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• C_a_k_e 3927
Other Games
• imaqtpie810
• Shiphtur284
• WagamamaTV255
Upcoming Events
BSL Open Qualifier
15m
BSL Open Qualifier
15m
Replay Cast
4h 15m
Afreeca Starleague
15h 15m
Rush vs Light
WardiTV Weekly
16h 15m
Monday Night Weeklies
21h 15m
Replay Cast
1d 4h
Afreeca Starleague
1d 15h
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
1d 16h
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
2 days
[ Show More ]
The PondCast
3 days
INu's Battles
3 days
Replay Cast
5 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
6 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
6 days
Patches Events
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
Copium Cup
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.